PDA

View Full Version : Round 19: KNIGHTS vs TITANS

DIEHARD
13-07-14, 06:56 PM
KNIGHTS vs TITANS

lonegull
13-07-14, 07:02 PM
Great week to meet the knights with it being the Rise for Alex round, their stadium will be capacity and I can see the
Knights really putting on a display and flogging the titans, can we forfeit

Titan4Life
13-07-14, 07:04 PM
Knights most likely 13+. I have nearly lost all confidence in this team.

TITAN PETE
13-07-14, 07:46 PM
We can not possibly win this game & should forfeit

DavidBouveng
13-07-14, 07:49 PM
We can not possibly win this game & should forfeit

the 'new coach' effect could come into play maybe?

karnage
13-07-14, 07:56 PM
Save the new coach for a home game because we are going to get LAPPED in this one. Remember this fixture last year - we lost by about 40 points. I hope the Knights give Alex a similar result next week.

TITAN PETE
13-07-14, 07:57 PM
the 'new coach' effect could come into play maybe?

3 words that will stop us from coming close "RISE FOR ALEX"

Blade07
13-07-14, 08:14 PM
Love a lineup like
1. Mead
2. Roberts
3. Taka
4. Blair
5. Fai fai loa
6. Hazard
7. Kelly
8. Bailey
9. Faloon
10. Douglas
11. Taylor
12. Mini
13. Carter
14. Mortimer
15. White
16. Binge
17. Myles

Mexican titan
13-07-14, 08:23 PM
I refuse to suggest a line up as we could have Inglis, Cronk, Slater, Smith etc in our team and the coach would coach any ability out of them. That and the fact that many of the 17 you have named Blade would not get a start at many other clubs. bailey, Mini and White are past it I am afraid.
At least the Titans will be playing in front of a crowd this week.

ozynorts
13-07-14, 08:40 PM
At least the Titans will be playing in front of a crowd this week.

And yet it will feel just like home, a hostile away crowd cheering for the opposition.

Bayside Titan
13-07-14, 08:41 PM
Not going to be easy this game.

Hail Sezer
13-07-14, 09:25 PM
So if TP is out then who is everyones pick to replace him at fb? Gordon, Kelly, Roberts, Fogarty or Jahrome Hughes perhaps? Actually no it would be a huge ask to pull in an u20s player when we are travelling so poorly.

teke
13-07-14, 09:44 PM
So if TP is out then who is everyones pick to replace him at fb? Gordon, Kelly, Roberts, Fogarty or Jahrome Hughes perhaps? Actually no it would be a huge ask to pull in an u20s player when we are travelling so poorly.Whoever the FB is will get worked over, Knights are gonna thrash the Titans black n Blue

lonegull
13-07-14, 09:44 PM
Carty mentioned in the press conference that Kev trained there through last week so my guess is that Carty will go with Kevin

Titanic
13-07-14, 11:31 PM
Oh no, not precious Kev, please no … go home, get a haircut and have a good long look at yourself … if Mead is unavailable then let's get Don back there, at least he plays fullback … and what's wrong with Henare Wells? Isn't he the Residents fb and one of ours or even Roberts?

And the inevitable loss to the Knights really puts us in spoon position.

TITAN PETE
14-07-14, 12:03 AM
Oh no, not precious Kev, please no … go home, get a haircut and have a good long look at yourself … if Mead is unavailable then let's get Don back there, at least he plays fullback … and what's wrong with Henare Wells? Isn't he the Residents fb and one of ours or even Roberts?

And the inevitable loss to the Knights really puts us in spoon position.

Titans are not smart enough to sign Henare Wells

nimud
14-07-14, 01:21 PM
Great week to meet the knights with it being the Rise for Alex round, their stadium will be capacity and I can see the
Knights really putting on a display and flogging the titans, can we forfeit

Knights won't be capacity. That has not happened since A.Johns retired.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to the game. I'll be wearing the colours, but I am not expecting a win, let alone a close game. As long as Titans don't play like they did in the same fixture last year - that performance was right up there with watching the GC Seagulls get flogged in N'castle 52-6 (God bless Peter Gill!)

C-Whiz
14-07-14, 01:54 PM
Oh no, not precious Kev, please no … go home, get a haircut and have a good long look at yourself … if Mead is unavailable then let's get Don back there, at least he plays fullback

And the inevitable loss to the Knights really puts us in spoon position.All of this.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll be putting on Knights 13+, probably the safest bet I've had with the Titans in the past 4 or 5 years.

DIEHARD
15-07-14, 12:16 PM
Gold Coast Titans back on track after having a brutally honest session watching match replay
EMMA GREENWOOD GOLD COAST BULLETIN

A BRUTALLY honest video session has the Titans poised to move forward and charge towards an unlikely NRL finals berth.

Following their hapless loss to Canberra on Sunday, the Titans need to win six of their eight remaining matches fixtures to have any chance of pushing into the top eight and playing finals football for the first time since 2010.

While it’s a tough ask, captain Nate Myles is adamant his side can overcome the hurdle after players cleared the way forward in a brutal honesty session yesterday.

“You would have loved the words that were coming out of that meeting, you would have been able to write a novel,’’ Myles said when asked if players had taken the opportunity to speak out in the wake of the disappointing showing.

“There was a few things thrown around, probably nothing I’ll relay here.

“But I think there was a bit of honesty in regards to us as a team and a playing group, which is always a good thing.

“I think it’s a good thing to be able to be brutally honest with each other and that’s definitely the way we’re going to be. But it’s going to be pointless if we don’t play better.’’

After upsetting the high-flying Rabbitohs just over a week ago, the Titans turned in a substandard performance at home against a side they needed to beat to keep their finals hopes alive.

But Myles is refusing to give up on a push into the eight, despite the Gold Coast facing the Sea Eagles, Roosters and Bulldogs in the final month of the season.

“One hundred per cent it can be done and it still will be done for us,’’ Myles said of a finals campaign. this season.

“The fact is we had the opportunity on the weekend to sneak into the eight and we couldn’t get desperate enough to do it, which is disappointing.

“But we know we’re still mathematically a chance … so it’s still there for us.’’

The group faces its first big challenge on Sunday when it heads to Newcastle for what will be an emotional game against the Knights.

A full house is likely to gather at Hunter Stadium for the Rise for Alex round in honour of to champion forward Alex McKinnon, who suffered a devastating spinal injury earlier in the season.

But Myles and coach John Cartwright are confident the Titans team has have the wherewithal to prepare fully and face the challenge head on.

“We’re not blinded by the fact that it will be an emotional weekend, especially being the team that plays Newcastle at home. We know what they’re going to bring. It’ll be 40-odd thousand people there supporting it,” Myles said.

“Even though it’s a fantastic occasion, we want to go down there and get the two points.”

“We don’t want to ruin the party or anything but our mindset is on getting the two points this weekend.’’

Cartwright said the siege mentality the Titans would likely take into the game could prove to be advantageous for his group.

The team has a frustrating habit of rising against the odds but being unable to replicate the performances when the pressure is off.

“I dare say it will be a full house down there and with lots of emotion, that tends to bring the best out in sides,’’ Cartwright said.

“I think it’s the kind of occasion we need as well coming off the back of last week.”

“It won’t affect our prep. It certainly will be a bonus, if they handle the emotion of it all, for Newcastle, with Alex being a Newcastle boy.

“There’s not anyone in the game who doesn’t feel for what he’s going through.

“But the fact is he’s one of theirs and they’re a very proud town that live for their football and I’m sure it will be a really emotional day.’’

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/

DIEHARD
15-07-14, 12:17 PM
Often when Im reading Emma Greenwood's work, I feel that I am reading something written by the Titans marketing department.

Hail Sezer
15-07-14, 12:28 PM
Often when Im reading Emma Greenwood's work, I feel that I am reading something written by the Titans marketing department.

I agree. I admire her positive intentions, however I often find myself skim-reading them because she's not really reporting anything, usually just collaborating and often glorifying the comments of the players and Carty (which are publicly available anyway).

Travis Meyn seems to have dropped off the radar lately. Paddy Kilmurray from 9 news seems to be getting the majority of scoops to do with the club now.

DavidBouveng
15-07-14, 12:33 PM
The very top teams in this code and others don't need honesty sessions once seasons go off track.

it shouldn't be a buzzword to indicate good change, it just highlights the previous lack of honesty and accountability to each other and the team.

This is article makes me mad.

DIEHARD
15-07-14, 12:39 PM
I agree. I admire her positive intentions, however I often find myself skim-reading them because she's not really reporting anything, usually just collaborating and often glorifying the comments of the players and Carty (which are publicly available anyway).

Travis Meyn seems to have dropped off the radar lately. Paddy Kilmurray from 9 news seems to be getting the majority of scoops to do with the club now.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has been feeling this way.

teke
15-07-14, 01:27 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has been feeling this way.i think her articles are pure garbage , I think she needs a few honesty sessions

timor 2
15-07-14, 01:46 PM
Titans
1 Kevin Gordon
2 Anthony Don
3 James Roberts
4 Brad Takairangi
5 Kalifa Faifai Loa
6 Maurice Blair
7 Daniel Mortimer
8 Luke Bailey
9 Beau Falloon
10 Nate Myles
11 Mark Minichiello
12 Dave Taylor
13 Paul Carter

Interchange
14 Matthew White
15 Luke Douglas
16 Tom Kingston
17 Albert Kelly
17 Mark Ioane

Coach: John Cartwright

DIEHARD
15-07-14, 01:57 PM
No Willy Zlater and we got Don back.

Shame we also lost Mead.

DIEHARD
15-07-14, 01:57 PM
No Willy Zlater and we got Don back.

Shame we also lost Mead.

karnage
15-07-14, 02:57 PM
Somebody explain the Alby on the bench situation. I reckon he's hurt, but if he is not hurt he has to start and he has to play 80 minutes. It is a disgrace that a little guy who is a genuine match winner can be brought into a game that has already got away. Not to mention the fact that Mortimer has come to a new team midseason and is expected to gel in the halves with TWO separate five eights who get shuffled into the team at different times. Or does Cartwright expect the new recruit to start the game at 7 (alongside Blair) and then change his style to more of a 6 when Kelly comes on?? Or, as I expect, does he have no plan at all??

And is there one person that can honestly tell me that Kevin Gordon is a better option at fullback than James Roberts?? Seriously, find me somebody.

One more week of Carter in the starting 13 and then I bet we have something else to blow up about when Bird gets back.

TITAN PETE
15-07-14, 04:44 PM
Titans hope to rise for Alex, too
By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent
NRL.com
2:33pm Tue 15th July, 2014

It's an occasion that will unite all of rugby league and bring a passionate city to its feet and Titans coach John Cartwright hopes it can inspire his team to keep its finals hopes alive on Sunday.

All eyes will turn to Hunter Stadium as Alex McKinnon returns to Newcastle for the first time since suffering a horrific spinal injury in Melbourne on March 23 with the NRL dedicating the entire Round 19 as RiseForAlex Round.

With such emotion surrounding McKinnon's return to the club and on the back of the Knights' three straight wins, the attendance record of 32,642 set way back in 1995 will be very much under threat with the Titans potentially the villains who can spoil the party.

The Titans' last five outings have been played in front of crowds of less than 12,500 and Cartwright is hopeful that the energy and atmosphere created by a capacity crowd of passionate Novacastrians will bring out the best in his side after a disappointing loss to the Raiders on Sunday.

"It certainly will be a bonus if they handle the emotion of it all for Newcastle, Alex being a Newcastle boy," Cartwright said of the welcome that will await them on Sunday. "There isn't anyone in the game who doesn't feel for what he is going through but the fact is he's one of theirs, they're a very proud town who live for their football and I'm sure it's going to be a really emotional day.

"I'd dare say it will be a full house down there and with lots of emotion that tends to bring out the best in sides. It's an occasion that we need as well, coming off the back of last week (the loss to Canberra)."

If they needed any reminder of the challenge ahead of them, each time the players walk into the Titans offices this week they pass the reception area that is selling "RiseForAlex" wristbands in Knights team colours.

In fact, co-captain Nate Myles was sporting one on his wrist as he spoke with the media but says that despite the circumstances surrounding this game it will remain very much business as usual.

"We're not blinded by the fact that it will be an emotional weekend, especially being the team that plays Newcastle at home," Myles said.

"We know what they're going to bring, there will be a full house there supporting it no doubt and even though it's a fantastic occasion we want to go down there and get the two points.

"We don't want to ruin the party or anything but our mindset is on getting the two points this weekend."

With a fourth straight season without finals footy staring them in the face, Titans players submitted themselves to an honesty session amongst the playing group on Monday morning following the review of Sunday's loss that Myles admitted "wasn't very flattering".

They are likely to need to win six of their final eight games to be a hope of squeezing into the top eight and Myles welcomed the willingness of the players to air some confronting home truths.

"There were a few things thrown around, nothing that I'll relay here but there was a bit of honesty in regards to us as a team and a playing group which is always a good thing," Myles said. "But it's going to be pointless if we don't go out there and perform better.

"There were a couple of the boys there [who spoke up] but I think it's a good thing to be able to be brutally honest with each other and that's definitely the way we're going to be.

"The fact is we had the opportunity on the weekend to try and sneak into the eight and we couldn't get desperate enough to do it which is disappointing but we know we're still mathematically a chance."

Sunday's 36-20 defeat was Gold Coast's seventh from nine games at home so far this year and Cartwright also welcomed the brutal honesty session.

"It pretty much had to be," Cartwright said of the nature of the discussion. "The most disappointing thing is that the side is so capable of much better than that.

"We've shown that on various occasions this year but especially against South Sydney the week before. We didn't necessarily play that well against Souths but we played with plenty of character and grit and that wasn't there on the weekend.

"We had Nate come back into the side, we had continuity in our halves and I was really confident going into the game and it hits you a bit like a sledgehammer when you turn up with a performance like that."

Cartwright confirmed that fullback William Zillman is next to no chance of playing with a hamstring injury with David Mead to also remain sidelined, also with a hamstring injury.

mup23
15-07-14, 05:13 PM
Continuity in our halves?

john cartwrong
15-07-14, 08:21 PM
Double post sorry

john cartwrong
15-07-14, 08:58 PM
Same team as last week.

Golden rule. Never change a winning team....

Oh.

Genius.

- - - Updated - - -

Clearly not mentioning the one change necesitated by injury.

Which obviously sees one of our players in terrible form playing a role he has almost never played before.

Such a shame we never signed james roberts.

Oh.

- - - Updated - - -

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Cartstein

- - - Updated - - -

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Cartstein

- - - Updated - - -

Albert Cartstein

TITAN PETE
16-07-14, 08:41 AM
Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright resists urge to put Albert Kelly at fullback for Knights game
TRAVIS MEYN GOLD COAST BULLETIN JULY 16, 2014 8:03AM

TITANS coach John Cartwright has resisted the urge to pitch Albert Kelly into fullback despite desperately needing to find a way to keep the Gold Coast’s season alive.

Winger Kevin Gordon will move into the No.1 jersey for the daunting trip to Newcastle on Sunday when the Titans will face an emotionally charged Knights outfit in the Rise for Alex round.

The NRL has dedicated the round to Newcastle’s Alex McKinnon, who suffered a *career-ending spinal injury earlier this season.

The Rise for Alex promotion will ensure Hunter Stadium will be packed.

With custodian options Will Zillman and David Mead battling hamstring injuries, Gordon will move to the back.

Kelly made his NRL debut at fullback for Cronulla and covered for Zillman in the back end of the dreadful 36-20 Round 18 loss to Canberra at Cbus Super Stadium on Sunday afternoon but his lack of recent game time saw Cartwright opt for Gordon.

“His training’s been so limited,” Cartwright said of Kelly.

“He picked up another injury on the weekend which wasn’t related to his previous one (fractured leg).

“We’re still not sure if he’ll play this week either.”

Gordon featured at fullback late last season, with the Titans scoring a huge upset win over eventual premiers Sydney Roosters before losing a golden-point thriller in Melbourne which ended their year.

The 24-year-old they call ‘‘Flash’’ has speed to burn and great footballing instincts but Cartwright said he would need help from wingers Kalifa Faifai Loa and Anthony Don to push out 80 minutes.

“It’s (fullback) a bit of a poisoned chalice at the moment,” he said. “Everyone wants it but the two boys (Zillman and Mead) that want it most are both injured.

“Kevvy’s every bit as keen to play fullback as the other two as well so he’ll do a good job.

“He finished the year there and we had a couple of good wins with him at the back.

“Anthony Don and Kalifa have both played a bit of fullback so there’ll be a bit of swapping around.

“He likes playing fullback and a big challenge in playing fullback is communication.

“He’s aware of that and if he wants to play it down the track he’ll have to be good in that area.”

The Titans must win six of their final eight games of the season to break a three-year finals drought.

It is a tough ask given they still have to face top-eight teams Sydney, Manly, New Zealand Warriors and Canterbury and have three home games left, although that could be a blessing in disguise given they have lost their past six at Cbus Super Stadium.

Their injury ward is growing by the week with up to 13 players battling problems while co-captain Greg Bird will not return from suspension until next weekend.

The club’s situation is so dire Cartwright cancelled yesterday’s field session and said he barely had enough fit players to field a team against the Knights.

“Pretty much what’s there is what we have to take the Knights on,” he said. “There might be the odd change we could make here or there.

“Our bottom-tier salary cap is pretty much exhausted and the rest of the guys out of the full-time squad are injured.”

Dave Taylor, who is leading the club’s player of the year voting, is battling a knee problem along with Kelly.

- - - Updated - - -

What about a bloke called Roberts playing in the 1 :rolleyes:

TitanBear
16-07-14, 09:11 AM
Roberts would be good at 1, but I believe he is better for our team at left centre, did have outstanding game v souths in centres. Im happy with Kev at 1 and he will handle ok and with Don & Loa on wings, we will have size and speed at back. I believe we can win this game. It will be very emotional game for Knights (sometimes that can backfire, with emotion too high) and I have seen that Knights have defence weaknesses and lapses during games and if we have high completions and get our mongrel attitude back in defence (like Souths) we will win. imo GO TITANS

Squinter98
16-07-14, 10:10 AM
I would have liked to see Jahrome Hughes given another shot.

john cartwrong
16-07-14, 02:15 PM
When you have won two games in 3 months... I don't think that a combination of previous strategies is going to make enough difference to win 5 from 8.

Need to roll the dice on hughes, roberts, something.... other than roll out last week's sh*** again.. and again...

matti
16-07-14, 05:08 PM
Not wasting my time going to a game, unless someone picks me up and feeds me. Only excitement ill get..

nimud
17-07-14, 08:55 AM
Not wasting my time going to a game, unless someone picks me up and feeds me. Only excitement ill get..

This weekend is going to be very tough. Full house & a lot of emotion. Titans will either pull off a win aka vs Rooster late last season, or we'll get trounced. I'll be their in colours.

TITAN PETE
17-07-14, 09:44 AM
Knights v Titans preview
NRL.com
1:59pm Wed 16th July, 2014

Knights v Titans
Hunter Stadium
Sunday, 2pm

Only when the day comes that Alex McKinnon walks out onto the centre of Hunter Stadium will Newcastle witness an outpouring of emotion to rival that which will happen on Sunday as the guest of honour makes his return to the Steel City for the RiseForAlex Round.

When Newcastle as a city has endured tough times they have turned to the football team for support but for the second time since his tragic accident in Round 3, this time the community will come forth in support of one of their own.

Six days after McKinnon was injured against the Storm, the Sharks travelled to Hunter Stadium and were faced by a Knights team struggling to deal with an unprecedented situation yet united in their determination to do their mate proud.

They blew the Sharks out of the water on that day and led 26-0 at half-time and a similarly imposing proposition faces the Titans this weekend.

Knights prop Willie Mason said on Monday that the emotion of this occasion will be even greater than that in Round 4 and if the home side can channel that emotion and not be distracted by it, the prospect of a Titans win seems even smaller.

But winning when no one gives them a chance seems to be something of a Titans forte as their win over the Rabbitohs in Round 17 attests. They have recorded away victories against the Sharks, Raiders, Storm, Wests Tigers and Rabbitohs and seem to respond better when faced with adversity.

They will face few greater challenges than a Newcastle team on a three-match winning streak and with more than 30,000 Novocastrians there in support but if they hold out any hope of a finals berth in 2014, this is a game they somehow have to find a way to win.

They will have to do so without two of their most senior players with Greg Bird (suspension) and William Zillman (hamstring injury) both unavailable. Kevin Gordon will move from the wing to fullback for just the third time in 109 career NRL games.

The Knights have named the same 17 that defeated the Sharks in Round 18, adding Adam Cuthbertson to the bench.
Gates at Hunter Stadium will open at 11am on Sunday and upon arrival members and fans will be entertained in a specially created RiseForAlex precinct showcasing live music, radio broadcasts and family friendly activities. A celebration for Alex will take place in the stadium pre-match and during half time.

The NRL will be donating one dollar to the RiseForAlex Fund for every rugby league fan who attends any match during Round 19 and fans can make donations by purchasing a RiseForAlex wristband that will be sold at all matches across the RiseForAlex Round (Round 19 & 20), Best and Less stores and online here. Fans can also make donations online here or by texting RiseForAlex to 0498 555 555.

The RiseForAlex Fund has been established to provide ongoing financial and medical support to the Newcastle Knights forward and is independently managed by a board of directors.

Watch Out Knights: There's a cranky old 'Bull' at the Titans at present and if this is indeed going to be Luke Bailey's final year in the NRL, he's going to make sure he gets absolutely everything out of his 34-year-old body.
Although he is still to decide whether he will go around for a 16th season in 2015, Bailey's numbers from the past month indicate if he does call it quits he will do so at the top of his game. Bailey's 16 runs for 158 metres last Sunday against the Raiders were his highest numbers for the season, narrowly ahead of his Round 14 (16 runs, 154m), Round 17 (15 runs, 131m) and Round 15 (11 runs for 121m) performances. And watch out for that quick tap.

Watch Out Titans: It may have been another unhappy week for Darius Boyd with regards to the public perception of his personality following an awkward exchange with a journalist but there it is no coincidence that the Knights' fortunes have been tied to his improved performances on the field. Last Sunday's 38 touches against the Sharks were the most he has had in any game this year to go with three tackle-breaks and 146 running metres (his fourth highest tally of the year). Prior to that, Boyd ran for more than 200m against the Eels and scored a try and has been flourishing with the extra momentum that has been created by his forwards in recent weeks. If the Titans' defensive line finds itself going backwards, Boyd will be the man to take advantage. A Mudgeeraba Redbacks junior, Boyd has scored six tries in nine previous clashes with the Titans including two doubles.

Plays To Watch: Finally the Wayne Bennett-coached Knights are starting to play like a Wayne Bennett-coached football team, but as the master mentor announces he will be heading elsewhere in 2015, have they left their run too late. Trailing 18-0 against the Sharks last week, the Knights adopted a power game up the middle and completely tore the Sharks to shreds. Kade Snowden, Korbin Sims and David Fa'alogo were particularly effective, opening the game up for Mullen, Gidley, Boyd and Roberts to engineer try after try in quick succession. Don't expect to see too many Jarrod Mullen spiral cut-out passes until the middle third is well and truly won. The Titans showed glimpses that they were close to maximising the attacking potency of David Taylor and James Roberts on the right edge last week but were unable to do so for an extended period of time. The Titans need to construct a set to give Taylor and Roberts opportunities to go one-on-one with their opposite numbers rather than throwing them a 'Hail Mary' pass and hoping they can produce something from nothing.

Where It Will Be Won: With Kevin Gordon filling in at the poisoned chalice that is the Titans' fullback position and a halves combination still very much getting to know each other, the Knights boast a decided advantage in the key playmaking positions. Mullen remains one of the classiest halves in the competition with a passing and kicking game that few can match and with Gidley back at halfback and Boyd back to his best, the Knights all of a sudden have a much more potent look to them. Cool heads will be required on what will be an emotion-charged afternoon and this is where the home side seems to have a significant advantage.

History: Played 11; Knights 7, Titans 4. Looking for their third straight win over their closest northern neighbours, the Knights have put the Titans to the sword in their two most recent meetings, and it has been James McManus who has done all the damage. The NSW Origin rep scored twice in their 30-6 win at Robina in Round 7 last year and then backed that up with an equal club record four tries in a 46-16 hiding where the Knights led 36-0 by half-time. Hunter Stadium has not been a completely barren hunting ground for the Titans with wins in 2010 and 2012. Incredibly, only six players from that 2012 team will be lining up on Sunday.

What Are The Odds: The number of bets on each team is around 50-50 but the big bets are all on the Knights, who’ve come in from $1.47 to $1.33. Sportsbet is receiving strong money for Newcastle to win at the line, conceding 9.5 points. Latest odds at Sportsbet.com.au.

Match Officials: Referee: Matt Cecchin; Assistant Referee: Dave Munro. Touch Judges: Rickey MacFarlane and Jeff Younis; Video Referees: Bernard Sutton and Luke Patten.

Televised: Fox Sports – Live 2pm. Special pre-game show from 1pm dedicated to RiseForAlex celebrations.

How We See It: The head and heart are both in agreement on this one; the in-form Knights with so much to play for seem destined to deliver a victory to commemorate RiseForAlex Round. The Titans have a happy knack of producing an upset when no-one gives them a hope but given they have just one win from their past eight games, leaving Newcastle with two treasured competition points seems a bridge too far. They'll be ready for the occasion, they just don't seem to have the troops to finish the job. Newcastle by 12 points.

Hail Sezer
17-07-14, 11:31 AM
http://s17.postimg.org/g69dbmhkv/Screen_Shot_2014_07_17_at_1_29_29_pm.png

Bayside Titan
17-07-14, 01:03 PM
Oh c#%p!!!! That will do me. What's happened to Blair?

teke
17-07-14, 04:32 PM
Titans will be held scoreless this week.

38 nil

mup23
17-07-14, 04:46 PM
Titans will be held scoreless this week.

38 nil

Big call, it has never happened before. 188 games is the longest current streak and the 22nd longest streak in NRL/ARL/SL/NSWRL history

DavidBouveng
17-07-14, 04:58 PM
taylor training at centre is no problem, but taka at 6 is not what i was hoping for

john cartwrong
17-07-14, 05:01 PM
Jamal fogarty. Jahrome hughes. Matt Beddow.

All genuine halves.

Surely we would only consider taka ahead of them because

A) these guys are seriously only there to make up numbers.
B) we need more second rowers in the team.
C) for taka's proven kicking game.

teke
17-07-14, 06:41 PM
Big call, it has never happened before. 188 games is the longest current streak and the 22nd longest streak in NRL/ARL/SL/NSWRL historyit will be Cartrights crowning glory. He owes us this to put an exclamation mark on his titans coaching career.

Supergoose
18-07-14, 11:07 AM
Hearing word Sezer is close. Anyone think he'll play this week? Even the Cook Islands abandoned playing Taka at 6. I think Kev goes alright at fullback. Could be an interesting last roll of the dice for Carty.

C-Whiz
18-07-14, 11:54 AM
Hearing word Sezer is close. Anyone think he'll play this week? Even the Cook Islands abandoned playing Taka at 6. I think Kev goes alright at fullback. Could be an interesting last roll of the dice for Carty.

Zillman goes alright at FB too. It's like Cartwright puts guys with suspect form/hands in key positions to give them some practice at catching and passing.
Wouldn't Don be a better option at FB? I know Kevin played a couple of games there last year, but he's been very ordinary collecting passes and simple kicks for the past couple of months.
I hope he gets some space and can get up to speed, because I haven't seen much Flash out of him lately either.
Mullen will target him with everything IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't mind Taylor playing there but Taka has been a liability almost everywhere. He is the perfect replacement for Mini. You never know what you are gonna get.

Mexican titan
18-07-14, 02:43 PM

I don't rate Sezer and we need to be looking at other options, either what we have or recruit for the position for next year. Personally Kelly and Mortimer look the best halves options for me when fit. Taka at 5/8 - that's one of Carty's best.

Titanic
18-07-14, 02:58 PM
So right MT … Sezer needs a new coach (so do most of our young blokes) and Mortimer/Kelly sounds about right … and I have just realised that I am addicted to this site as I have nothing good to say at all.

C-Whiz
18-07-14, 03:03 PM
and I have just realised that I am addicted to this site as I have nothing good to say at all.
Haha, join the club mate. It almost feels like the off season because I have so little to look forward to for the next few months.
Just making small talk until we have some glimmer of hope in 2015.

titanslurker
19-07-14, 11:03 PM
this is basically it for us guys. a loss and we can forget about finals this year.

DIEHARD
20-07-14, 03:47 AM
So.... time to be spanked.

Newcastle are going to be gunning, in front of a huge crowd.

Mexican titan
20-07-14, 10:05 AM
this is basically it for us guys. a loss and we can forget about finals this year.

We might win this and I hope we do...but I have long ago given up the thought of playing finals this year.

TITAN PETE
20-07-14, 11:41 AM
Looks like a day to be selling #riseforAlex Ponchos

- - - Updated - - -

Bird gutted to miss McKinnon tribute
NRL.com
9:00am Sun 20th July, 2014

He will join with more than 30,000 Novocastrians today and Rise For Alex but suspended Titans co-captain Greg Bird is exactly the kind of player who would also have risen to the occasion.

Sentimentalists and bookmakers alike give the Titans little chance of upsetting Newcastle on such an emotional and important day for the home side with the absence of Bird further weighting the odds in the Knights' favour.

Just days after the Titans board sent shockwaves through the club with the announcement of a comprehensive review into all aspects of the business, the Titans can ill afford to be without Bird as they attempt to rescue their season.

But more than the 80 minutes of on-field action he has been denied due to a two-game suspension coming out of Origin III, Bird won't get to honour injured Knights forward Alex McKinnon in the manner in which he is accustomed.

A Hunter Valley product like McKinnon, Bird's ties to the Knights will soon be tighter as he counts down to the day he weds Rebecca Rochow, sister of Newcastle back-rower Robbie Rochow.

He and fellow co-captain Nate Myles visited McKinnon in hospital shortly after the accident – they also spent time with Storm forward Jordan McLean – and Bird is extremely disappointed to not be playing on such an important day for the community.

"Very disappointed. You always want to go back to your home town and play where your family can come out and watch, that's one thing, but with the occasion as well for Alex, it's going to be a spectacle, not only on the field but everything that's happening off the field and in the community of Newcastle," said Bird, who came through the junior system at the Knights after playing his junior footy in Maitland. "Disappointed I can't run out onto the paddock but I'll be there with the boys in preparation and hopefully we can go out there and get the job done.

"To see someone that's been dealt the cards he has and he's still so positive about the situation it is uplifting and it makes you feel very grateful and thankful for what we have, being fit and healthy.

"I think it's a good opportunity to pay him back, to show some respect to him and I think it's a great initiative what the NRL has done, raising some money and awareness for his situation."

As much as the entire round is devoted to McKinnon and raising money for the battles he faces, the Titans desperately need two competition points in order to dim the spotlight somewhat that is currently trained on coach John Cartwright.

A loss on Sunday would almost certainly spell the end of the Titans' finals aspirations for 2014 but Bird says the enormity of the occasion will guarantee they can get no favours from the home side.

"I don't think there will be ambushes going on with 40,000 crazy Novocastrians in the grandstand," said Bird. "I know what they're like, I'm from that area, so it's going to be a battle. And the battle is going to be won or lost in the middle and that's where all big games are won and lost.

"They've got a strong, experienced forward pack down there with 'Mase' (Willie Mason) and Jeremy Smith and Beau Scott and our blokes – Nate Myles, Luke Bailey, Mark Minichiello – are going to have to stand up and give it to them and I'm sure it's going to be a fierce battle in there.

"The atmosphere's going to be pretty ecstatic really. The way they reacted after the incident first happened, they came out and had a really strong performance and all bonded together and stuck solid and got a win for Alex.

"I'm assuming it's going to be quite a similar atmosphere on the playing pitch but outside of it they're going to have 40,000 people there so it's going to be a great opportunity for a lot of these guys who haven't played in big games before, Origins and semi-final matches with packed stadiums so it's an opportunity to go out and show their wares."

Titanic
20-07-14, 01:24 PM
Delayed telecast 3 hours later here so I won't be commenting, much to the relief of you all, until after that :) … good luck guys, as always when it comes to match days I am just hoping for the win.

Titan4Life
20-07-14, 01:49 PM
558 This will make it harder to win

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously he put Douglas in second-row over Myles!!!! What the hell Carty. You pick a natural prop over a second rower in Myles. Cartwright has to go. He has no brains in his head :doh:

hammer
20-07-14, 02:07 PM
Emotional scenes for #RiseforAlex.

Titan4Life
20-07-14, 02:21 PM
Beau Falloon gone off for concussion test. Carter gone hooker.

- - - Updated - - -

Close call but no try for Taka. Just lost it before grounding it. Fair call by video refs.

5 Year Contract
20-07-14, 02:29 PM
Great kick pressure but then everyone just stands around and waits for him to kick!

K2G
20-07-14, 02:30 PM
JAMES ROBERTS!!

5 Year Contract
20-07-14, 02:31 PM
James Roberts massive break puts Don under the posts! Beautiful! Roberts burnt 4 players for speed!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Gordon Converts 6-0 titans

Titan4Life
20-07-14, 02:32 PM
TRY TITANS! Roberts uses his speed to beat defenders in his own half and passes to Don who scores.
6-0 Titans

ROBERTS IS QUICK!

Hail Sezer
20-07-14, 02:32 PM
JR! Most excited ive been watching a titans game in a long time watching him get some space

5 Year Contract
20-07-14, 02:38 PM
Try saver one on one by Don there on tackle 4. Why he hasnt been in the squad for the last few games is anyone's guess. Great coaching carty!

- - - Updated - - -

Newcastle knock on 15m out in with a real show here! Am liking what I am seeing from the guys today

- - - Updated - - -

just jinxed myself! Horrible set play finishing with a Shepard due to Gordon running behind 3 player. Woeful!!!

Titan4Life
20-07-14, 02:41 PM
Uate loses it 20 out from Knights try line. Here's our chance boys!

5 Year Contract
20-07-14, 02:42 PM
5m out scrum to us and Gordon throws the worlds ****test pass bouncing off mortimers shoulder for a knock on. Deadset we are leaving points begging here

K2G
20-07-14, 02:42 PM
How is Kev Gordon still playing first grade!?! .... despite my username, he has to go.

Titan4Life
20-07-14, 02:43 PM
And then we lose it before they lose it again. Turning into a scrappy game.

5 Year Contract
20-07-14, 02:43 PM
Luckily newcastle equally awful and we are back on the attack 10m out. Need some points here!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Big DAVE!!!! busts through the defence for the try!!!! Ran through 4 defenders

K2G
20-07-14, 02:44 PM
Dave Taylor on fire today - seems like center might be the go for him

Titan4Life
20-07-14, 02:44 PM
TRY TITANS! Dave Taylor barges over. Come on Titans we can do this!
10-0 Titans

5 Year Contract
20-07-14, 02:45 PM
Gordon converts and we are up 12-0

Hail Sezer

Yep. I agree, strangely

Titan4Life

Yes he has been good at centre today. Hopefully he keeps it up!

5 Year Contract
100% agreed he keeps his fitness up and I think he will continue to flourish there!!

Hail Sezer
20-07-14, 02:46 PM
Falloon wow

Titan4Life
20-07-14, 02:47 PM
Falloon kicks out on the full. NO NO NO. Like Kimmorley just said, we are not a top 8 side because every good thing we do is reversed by a bad error.

5 Year Contract
20-07-14, 02:48 PM
Need to hold them out here! If we can go in 12-0 at half time I think we can get this one

- - - Updated - - -

20m line drop out distance doesnt help our cause!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Great defense on the wing by dave, ioane and taka takes Uate over the sideline!

Titan4Life
20-07-14, 02:49 PM
Yes we drive them into touch. Taylor been good at defence today.

5 Year Contract
20-07-14, 02:50 PM
Myles and his soft running costs us with a knock on

Titan4Life
20-07-14, 02:51 PM
Myles loses it. They are on the attack again.

- - - Updated - - -

We are pretty lucky that they have had sloppy ball handling today. Ruining their chances.

5 Year Contract
20-07-14, 02:52 PM
Shocking kick by mortimer there thank god knights stepped out!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Shades of our win over the rabbitohs we are very fortunate the knights have been making as many errors as we are

Titan4Life
20-07-14, 02:53 PM
Shocking kick by mortimer there thank god knights stepped out!!!

Yeah Morts has had a quiet game. Let's hope we score before halftime. 18-0 would be handy.

5 Year Contract
20-07-14, 02:54 PM
12-0 Titans going into the half. Wow what a half. Still showing just how good and straight away absolutely woeful we can be. I dunno I have a good feeling about this game. The fact Zillman is no where to be seen always gives me a twang of optimism. Taylor, Roberts, Don and some good hits from Mini have been the standouts so far

Titan4Life
20-07-14, 02:56 PM
Half time : Titans 12-0

The boys haven't played that bad today but we need to keep it up. C'mon Titans!

- - - Updated - - -

1. Mead
2. KFFL
3. Taylor
4. Roberts
5. Don

This is the back line I would go with every week.

5 Year Contract
20-07-14, 02:57 PM
Half time : Titans 12-0

The boys haven't played that bad today but we need to keep it up. C'mon Titans!

- - - Updated - - -

1. Mead
2. KFFL
3. Taylor
4. Roberts
5. Don

This is the back line I would go with every week.

This! Move taka into the backrow

Hail Sezer
More early ball to DT and JR.

Falloon, pass the ball and tackle. Thats it.

teke
Uate keeping titans in this, knights will flog these gooses in the 2nd half

rj62
20-07-14, 03:02 PM
Taylor found his spot at centre?

K2G
20-07-14, 03:05 PM
First thumbs down i've ever given i think teke. congratulations :D

C'mon Titans!!!

Titan4Life
20-07-14, 03:13 PM
They get a drop out straight away. Hold them out Titans!

- - - Updated - - -

Don safe as usual under the high ball.

- - - Updated - - -

Good defence from Morts forces a mistake.

5 Year Contract
20-07-14, 03:14 PM
Beautiful textbook round the legs tackle from mortimer and the knights knock on

Titan4Life
20-07-14, 03:15 PM
Ioane should be in our 17 every week regardless of injuries. Runs hard and makes the metres.

Knights penalty. Now 6-2 to Newcastle

Toads
20-07-14, 03:16 PM
Gidley gone, nice one..

5 Year Contract
20-07-14, 03:18 PM
Roberts looking shaky to start the half a few errors and penalties hopefully he settles down

- - - Updated - - -

another knock on roberts!

Titan4Life
20-07-14, 03:20 PM
We just held them out there. Another knock on by Newcastle trying to keep the ball alive.

Toads
20-07-14, 03:21 PM
Someone must've slipped the Knights our book on how to choke.

5 Year Contract
20-07-14, 03:21 PM
Dave Taylor what a pass!!!!!!!!

K2G
20-07-14, 03:22 PM
Ioane should be in our 17 every week regardless of injuries. Runs hard and makes the metres.

Add Tom Kingston to that.

5 Year Contract
20-07-14, 03:23 PM
Video ref! Dave somehow pops a miracle pass out after being hit by uate! Mini under the posts and a TRY!!!!!

Titan4Life
Try Titans! Mini dummies and dives over from a great cutout by Myles. I really think we should resign Mini rather than looking for new recruits.

Titans 16-0 CMON TITANS! We should win here but you never know with Newcastle.

Hail Sezer
Brilliant from Kingston

Titan4Life
20-07-14, 03:24 PM
Add Tom Kingston to that.

Agree 100% mate. He is been impressive in his last few games.

5 Year Contract
20-07-14, 03:24 PM
Awful conversion attempt as Gordon misses and we are 16-0 Titans

Hail Sezer
20-07-14, 03:25 PM
Was almost gonna say that Carter hasn't served up his token forward pass out of dummy half yet

rj62
mini is the guy we're letting go ...right? :doh:
Sounds like Taylor is loving the centres...

teke
First thumbs down i've ever given i think teke. congratulations :D

C'mon Titans!!!its all good, you are just supporting the #savecarty cause

5 Year Contract
As usual we fail to complete our first set after a try. Forward pass by carter out of Dummy half and knights are on the attack inside the 40

Titan4Life
20-07-14, 03:26 PM
Forward pass to Mini. Don't let them in here or they are back in the game. Let's go Titans!!!!

5 Year Contract
20-07-14, 03:28 PM
Another break from DT. Safe to say I think we may have found the answer to our Centre problem

Titan4Life
20-07-14, 03:30 PM
We hold them out before Taylor makes a great run and picks up a penalty.

- - - Updated - - -

Silly penalty conceded there by Bails.

5 Year Contract
20-07-14, 03:31 PM
Try to the Knights. Poor defense all round in that one

Toads
That tackle from Gordon gave me flashes of Zillman's defence..

5 Year Contract
What starts with a poor penalty from Bull ends in a knights try. Need to cut this crap out of our game

Titan4Life
20-07-14, 03:32 PM
Soft try to Leilua. Let's hope they don't score again or we are in trouble.
16-4 Titans KTC for Knights

- - - Updated - - -

Gordon is like Zillman in the way he kills chances in their half by dummying and bring smashed.

5 Year Contract
20-07-14, 03:33 PM
Mortimer offside from kickoff. Here comes the titans of old charging towards relinquishing what would seam an unbeatable lead!!!!

Titan4Life
20-07-14, 03:34 PM
Mortimer offside gives them another chance. Hold on boys or you're in trouble.

- - - Updated - - -

Please tell me he dropped it. PLEASE

rj62
20-07-14, 03:35 PM
Dont give them a sniff ....

5 Year Contract
20-07-14, 03:35 PM
No way you call this a try but given how good the NRL video ref's are these days

Titan4Life
20-07-14, 03:38 PM
No try ruled to BOYD. Lost it so we have a scrum.

- - - Updated - - -

Had to be a no try. Ref ruled no try and there was no conclusive evidence.

- - - Updated - - -

Knock on by Mini as Knughts tried to offload it. Here is another chance for Newcastle. Hold em out boys.

5 Year Contract
20-07-14, 03:39 PM
Knights get another chance due to titans error!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Kick to the back off the scrum by the knights and Don comes up huge to just get to the ball before Boyd

Titan4Life
20-07-14, 03:39 PM
Scary as the chipped from scrum but Don saves it. That was CLOSE. Lucky bounce for us.

5 Year Contract
20-07-14, 03:40 PM
Momentum all with the knights here. We need to hold on

Titan4Life
20-07-14, 03:41 PM
Mortimers defence has been great as he stops Mamo running away.

5 Year Contract
20-07-14, 03:42 PM
Knights in again....Same old **** from the titans.

Titan4Life
Try to T Roberts and they are back in it. Please miss conversion. We can't lose this.... can we?

gotitans101_
Not sure about J Roberts's D...seems to get caught too far in an awful amount of times.

teke
20-07-14, 03:43 PM
Dont give them a sniff ....the half time break was the knights receiving a sniff

5 Year Contract
16-8 to the Titans. We have no momentum here they are carving us up on the right wing every set. Big 10mins here

rj62
glad that missed

Titan4Life
20-07-14, 03:45 PM
Roberts misses the kick. We lead by 8 with 9 to go.

Hold on boys! Don't let them in!

- - - Updated - - -

Mistake by Mullen and we have it with 7 to go. We just need to hold on to it and play smart.

Hail Sezer
20-07-14, 03:46 PM
Not sure about J Roberts's D...seems to get caught too far in an awful amount of times.

He's been really solid up until this game. Unsure what it is but wouldn't bank on it being fixed with our coaching staff

Titan4Life
20-07-14, 03:47 PM
What the hell Mortimer. Just get the kick away. FFS

rj62
20-07-14, 03:48 PM
Don.....where the hell have you been?

Titan4Life
Don you legend! So safe under the high ball. No need for offloads or silly play. Just hold it and get the kick away.

5 Year Contract
Beautiful take by Don under the high ball with the pressure on! Dave Taylor has been absolutely massive in attack and Defense for us this game. Especially in defense him and KFFL have been covering each other well

Titan4Life
20-07-14, 03:49 PM
Mistake by Knights. That helps us. Hold into it!

rj62
20-07-14, 03:50 PM
come on.....

5 Year Contract
20-07-14, 03:51 PM
Great run by Ioane for a potential try here

Titan4Life
20-07-14, 03:52 PM
Ioane no try. He loses it before he grounds it. Aim up in defence Titans

rj62
20-07-14, 03:55 PM
good job....

Titan4Life
20-07-14, 03:56 PM
Resign Mini Titans. A great run sets up a try for Roberts. Good kick by Morts.
20-8 Titans and we will win

5 Year Contract
All in All a much improved performance but I think highlights more than ever the need to get rid of Carty. Imagine what a half talented coach could do with this team. We have all the potential but until they get rid of him and get some fresh blood in before we can compete and this win proves how inconsistent we are as a team.

MOM easily Dave Taylor: Needs to be centre ever week
Notables: Ioane, KFFL, Kingston, Don & Mortimer (his attack was ok but some great defense)
The William Zillman award for excellence in mediocraty: Will Zillman (hopefully we never see you again this season).

lonegull
What can I say great game to beat the knights on this day, definately an attitude change within the team they played for each other great display

Titan4Life
20-07-14, 03:57 PM
What a conversion by Kevvie.
22-8 Titans

rj62
20-07-14, 03:57 PM
take that....ugly or not

just don't want the pressure to come off Carty after one win

teke
20-07-14, 03:59 PM
16 errors by Knights

gotitans101_
20-07-14, 04:00 PM
16 errors by Knights

lol yeah, we can only beat teams who beat themselves, like the Rabbitohs did a few weeks ago.

Titan4Life
20-07-14, 04:02 PM
Great game today by the boys. Lots of mistakes by Knights but I argue that our defence put pressure on their attack.

Gordon is not a fullback. Simple as that. Didn't create any opportunities and killed many of the chances we had. His defences was alright though.

Ioane and Kingston should be in our 17 every week. They both run it hard and make plenty of metres. Both solid in defences as well.

Roberts and KFFL proved they deserve to be in the back line. Both very strong. Roberts showed his strength and speed all game. KFFL runs the ball back hard on the kick returns and did well in defence.

Don is a beast and deserves to be picked every week. One of the safest players under the high ball in the NRL. Also knows how to tackle and score tries.

Taylor was our best player. Made no mistakes and was dangerous in attack. He is the answer for our centre problem.

Messy by Newcastle but we played good. What scares me is that this will save Carty. I pray to God that it doesn't. Well done Titans!

K2G
20-07-14, 04:22 PM
Some of the most exciting footy in attack we've played all year ... Good win and i enjoyed watching. While i agree with T4L that this win will likely fuel teke's #savecarty movement, i think the winning feeling will be short lived. Too little, too late.

I think the team has banded together after the announcement of the internal review and increasing public scrutiny of Carty. I wouldn't expect anything less. But emotion only gets you so far. A coach without any technical proficiency will only get you so far. Realistically i don't think the team can keep it up, and anyone who isn't a blind supporter who watched that game, would be asking themselves;

- Why can't we play like that at home, in-front of our own fans?
- How can we use injuries as an excuse following every loss after a win like that?
- Why has the likes of Kingston and Ioane played so little footy for us?
- How does Don keep loosing his spot?
- Why has it taken this many games to look something like a NRL standard team?
- Why is Zillman an auto-pick and VC of the club when we play better without him on a consistent basis?

On another note, Mini was amazing today. I think contract talk has made him hungrier. If he keeps playing like he did today, there's no reason why we shouldn't take him on for another year. On the flip side, if today taught us anything, it's that the club needs to start trusting the young new faces coming through to lead the club forward. Kingston, Ioane, Don, KFFL, Roberts, Carter ... out with the old I say.

Nick
20-07-14, 04:27 PM
Nice to win, but against a team on song we would have been slaughtered. 67% completions and 41 missed tackles!

In saying that, our on line defence was again fantastic in most cases. Gordon played well, although being able to pass well both sides is a prerequisite for playing away from the wing. He looked like he hasnt been through any team runs at full back.

Titan4Life
20-07-14, 04:31 PM
Yep out with Bailey, Harro, Zillman and other under performers. In with Carter, Ioane, Kingston, KFFL, Don and Mead (at FB)

We also need to resign Mini if he keeps up the great performances of the last 4 or so games.

lonegull
20-07-14, 04:38 PM
Just thinking did we only use 16 players today, Blair was on bench but never got game time

Jonathonbcode
20-07-14, 04:38 PM
Ugh, I've got a bad feeling Cartwright will be around for a looooooooong time, now...

teke
20-07-14, 04:48 PM
Ugh, I've got a bad feeling Cartwright will be around for a looooooooong time, now...Internal review was wrapped up at the 80th min today apparently.

mup23
20-07-14, 04:53 PM
3-8 with Zillman, 5-1 without him
2-7 at home, 6-2 away

DavidBouveng
20-07-14, 04:57 PM
*ive said for along time Taylor is good at centre. gets a little bit more space and if he offloads the winger is outside his man already. I think Taylor will be close to our player of the year.

*Roberts is a beast and Don needs to be in the team every week. KFFL has great urgency and effort. all three need to play

*I think we have a real backline sorted if mead plays FB over Zilllwad as performances dictate he should.

*mini deserves one more year more than bailey white and even Myles.

*get the kids in, they are the ones brining the good juju right now.

*still prefer mortimer to our regular halves i think too.

TITAN PETE
20-07-14, 05:28 PM
The Knights could not handle the emotions of the day but I'll give credit to the Titans Defence early in the game & I think they broke Newcastles spirit , no team should ever win a game after missing 41 tackles so I think purchasing a Lotto ticket should be a must.

#sackcarty

Mexican titan
20-07-14, 05:30 PM
Agree with most comments here. I thought Mortimer and Taylor were the best and Mortimer was everywhere we needed him to be. He at least looks as if he can set up a few things and if we had a decent 5/8 our halves problem would be fixed.
I thought I would be off walking the dog by half time but they kept me there until the end. Newcastle had it all to play for so a good win.
As others have mentioned - what could a decent coach do with this lot.

teke
20-07-14, 05:38 PM
The Knights could not handle the emotions of the day but I'll give credit to the Titans Defence early in the game & I think they broke Newcastles spirit , no team should ever win a game after missing 41 tackles so I think purchasing a Lotto ticket should be a must.

#sackcartyAmen

#sackentirecoachingstaff

TITAN PETE
20-07-14, 05:39 PM
Titans steal the show in Newcastle
By Jack Brady
NRL.com
4:20pm Sun 20th July, 2014

On what was always going to be a special day for the Newcastle community regardless of the result as they celebrated injured player Alex McKinnon in the RiseForAlex Round, the Gold Coast Titans have come away with an unscripted 22-8 win over the Knights.

It was largely a very flat Newcastle performance in front of 26,401 emotional Knights supporters and the Titans made them pay with two first half tries.

A masterstroke decision by Titans coach John Cartwright to move Dave Taylor to the centres paid off enormously and while a Knights mini-comeback occurred in the final quarter of the game it wasn't enough to win the game.

The writing was on the wall after ten minutes when Titans five-eighth Brad Takairangi was denied the first try of the afternoon after it was ruled that he dropped the ball upon trying to ground it.

With the Gold Coast barraging the Knights defence for the majority of play thereafter, winger Anthony Don scored a long distance try supporting a blistering James Roberts line break to post the game's first points and gain a 6-0 lead for his team in the 19th minute.

The Titans wouldn't let up and continued to mount pressure. Two errors from Akuila Uate within a minute didn't help the Knights' cause and a bullocking Taylor made them pay after he shook off three defenders to cross for the Titans' second try of the afternoon.

The sideline became Jake Mamo's worst enemy right on halftime when he showed amazing reflexes to pick up a Daniel Mortimer grubber drilled towards the sideline. Tiptoeing his way downfield, Mamo found space and would've run the length of the paddock but the touch judge noticed he put a foot on the white stripe.

Down 12-0 at halftime, the Titans continued the Knights' pain when a Mark Minichiello dummied his way over the line in the 53rd minute. A long ball to Taylor saw the giant centre seemingly wrapped up by Uate but he used his strength to flick it out the back to Minichiello to deceive his way past Dane Gagai to help his team to a 16-0 advantage.

A groin injury to Knights captain Kurt Gidley then compounded the Knights' woes.

Newcastle proved there was life in them late in the piece when the old dogs Jeremy Smith and Willie Mason channelled their inner-halfbacks to set up a Joey Leilua try with 18 minutes remaining. It was Mason who wrapped around Smith, allowing the necessary space for Leilua to push through defenders to score his seventh try of the season.

An offside penalty from the Titans at the ensuing kick-off almost paid dividends again for the Knights but fullback Darius Boyd was ruled to have perhaps controversially knocked it on despite questionable contact from the defence.

However a 70th minute try kept the Knights in with a chance on the back of some great work from Tyrone Roberts.

Their second four-pointer of the afternoon came from them simply working over the Titans right-edge defence with aplomb in three consecutive tackles. Some great lead up work from Jarrod Mullen and Mamo allowed Roberts to score – though he missed the crucial conversion which would have narrowed the gap down to one converted try.

But with two scoring plays required and the clock against them the Knights weren't able to mount the comeback, and a brilliant late grubber from Mortimer helped Roberts stretch the final margin out to 14 on the back of a sideline conversion from Kevin Gordon as they kept their finals hopes alive.

Titans 22 (Don, Taylor, Minichiello, Roberts Tries; Gordon 3 Goals) defeated Knights 8 (Leilua, Mamo Tries) at Hunter Stadium. Crowd: 26,401.

DIEHARD
20-07-14, 05:39 PM
I didnt get a chance to watch the game yet. But very happy about the win, seems we had some good performances from some players including Don (Where has he been?! He must be a starter every week now)

Bit of a bummer we crashed the party for the Knights but hype aside, the Knights just dont cut it this year.

C-Whiz
20-07-14, 06:03 PM
If more players were told they just aren't good enough to be rewarded we would get more turnouts like the one Mini put in today.

As with most of our wins, they flatter us and didnt tell the story, but a win is a win.

Flash has no place in this team anymore, among others who have traded on reputation and sentiment for too long, the coach included.

- - - Updated - - -

Players with something to prove is the key to a hungry team.

Make a list of current players who honestly play like they really want to prove a point and that is your team.

nimud
20-07-14, 06:26 PM
Was a great day to be a Titans fan in the midst of a BIG Knights home crowd.

I could tell we were a chance the first hit up Dave Taylor took. He had an immense first half, and I'd be happy to see him in that position again next week.

Anthony Don took some good bombs, and KFFL was busy. Mini and Bull led up the middle all day.

I spoke to both Srama & Blair, and both said they were injured, so why we only played with 16 men all game.

Taka is not a 5/8. Mortimer does enough to steer the team though.

Why we don't see this Titans team every week I don't know, but a great showing in Newcastle after such a disgraceful performance here last season.

matti
20-07-14, 06:36 PM
I still hope carty is gone.... if he there next season,,,, i am not

Mexican titan
20-07-14, 07:06 PM
I still hope carty is gone.... if he there next season,,,, i am not

Me too. As nice as it was to win today, the results over the season are what matter, and in my opinion the season has been a boring disaster.

Titanic
20-07-14, 07:28 PM
Watched the delayed coverage and have read all your comments:

1. winning is great
2. #sackcarty is an absolute must, we were awful again but not as awful as the Knights
3.a. Gordon is not an A grader but no worse than Zillsheila ... bring back Mead.
b. KFFL finally showed some starch and should be given another chance
c. Don is an A grader and should never be dropped.
d. Roberts has some serious defensive deficiencies but that can be fixed (fitness may have had something to do with them)
e. Mortimer is our halfback
f. Takairangi is a backrower probably off the bench.
g. I can't get excited about Minichiello ... too many rocks and not enough diamonds
h. we need a hooker
i. using only 16 players is disgraceful
j. Ioane and Kingston were great today
k. Carter, White and Bailey were solid without extraordinary
l. Taylor was man of the match by miles
m. Myles was not
4. will happily take the two points.

Tamwelg
20-07-14, 07:29 PM
Just got home after a full day carnival, about to watch the relay. Read the comments, looking forward to watching Taylor.

teke
20-07-14, 07:38 PM
Just got home after a full day carnival, about to watch the relay. Read the comments, looking forward to watching Taylor.taylor ran for 200 mtrs but always had 3 ppl on his back so that 200 times 4 = 800 all run metres.

Solid effort

teke
20-07-14, 07:50 PM
Roberts has the best Fend I have seen since Renouf.

A serious serious weapon, coupled with his acceleration and he's beastly .

DavidBouveng
20-07-14, 07:53 PM
Roberts has the best Fend I have seen since Renouf.

A serious serious weapon, coupled with his acceleration and he's beastly .

in my earlier post i alllmost said that roberts has a sniff of renouf about him and could be a long term strike player, but after only a couple of games for us it would have been disrespectful to the pearl, so i went a bit easier, but he does have that look about him.

and not sure its best since Renouf...Inglis has a fair fend. it would leave a mark the next day i reckon.

teke
20-07-14, 07:57 PM
No harm in comparing attributes.

His fend has put both fonua and Leilua on their back hard in the past few games

C-Whiz
20-07-14, 07:59 PM
Titans steal the show in Newcastle
By Jack Brady
NRL.com
4:20pm Sun 20th July, 2014

A masterstroke decision by Titans coach John Cartwright to move Dave Taylor to the centres paid off enormously
It's this sort of BS that keeps Cartwright in a job. In a team of second rowers Cartwright finally runs out of centre's (Ffs,he's played everyone there!)and finally Taylor who is the most damaging attacking weapon we have and after not knowing how to use him for years and having no other ideas he finally puts him where he should be, and now it's a masterstroke.

Ffs, facepalm...

Hail Sezer
20-07-14, 08:00 PM
Leilua was a good test for JR. I don't see his defensive issues as an attitude or technique issue. It's more his positioning which, like Titanic said, can be fixed.

gotitans101_
20-07-14, 08:01 PM
lol 'a masterstroke decision'. Give this man another 5 years.

teke
20-07-14, 08:03 PM
It's this sort of BS that keeps Cartwright in a job. In a team of second rowers Cartwright finally runs out of centre's (Ffs,he's played everyone there!)and finally Taylor who is the most damaging attacking weapon we have and after not knowing how to use him for years and having no other ideas he finally puts him where he should be, and now it's a masterstroke.

Ffs, facepalm...Lets see how big of a master stroke it is when he puts ball strangler Bird right beside him.

Titanic
20-07-14, 08:42 PM
Lets see how big of a master stroke it is when he puts ball strangler Bird right beside him.
a ball strangler coached by a worm strangler :) :)

Smakked
21-07-14, 10:00 AM
A win is a win but to late in the season to make a difference.

Titanic pretty much nailed it with h is post.

Numbers
21-07-14, 11:00 AM
Anybody know if Carter had any injury concerns late in the game? He certainly seemed to have a problem getting back into the defensive line on the last couple of plays of the set in which Tyrone Roberts scored for the Knights...

shamus
21-07-14, 11:11 AM
I am obviously in the minority here but I thought Bailey (except for 1 stupid penalty) and Mini went well. After 6 minutes we had 3 penalties against us and Bailey pulled off at least 2 try savers in this period. This could have been a different result had he not done so. Mini was solid and ALWAYS busts the first tackle or at least has someone on his back for 6 or so metres. It also seems obvious that Mini has been told NOT too offload unless he is a 1000% sure it is going to a team mate as his 'attempted' offloads were always an issue in the past. I also think he made only the one error. I think they both should get 1 more year..Not fussed on Myles or Bird so there are some dollars saved if we could flick them elsewhere. But as I said.....I am in the minority.

P.S. This makes me right and every single one of you wrong.:salute:

Titanic
21-07-14, 01:12 PM
Also not fussed on Myles or Bird ... can offload all four and really save some cap.

ozynorts
21-07-14, 01:56 PM
Also not fussed on Myles or Bird ... can offload all four and really save some cap.

700k of cap maybe???????????

TITAN PETE
21-07-14, 03:50 PM
700k of cap maybe???????????

Would be over $900k

ozynorts
21-07-14, 04:34 PM
See we have solved the problem of the payout right there..... sort of...

Titanic Believer
21-07-14, 06:44 PM
I finally watched the game. I was particularly impressed with Mortimer's defense. There were a few brilliant passages by Titans individuals but Newcastle shot themselves in the foot just as Souths did in the win before. Maybe that's our great strength....to have the other team lose it now what strategy can we use to get other teams to play badly at Robina?

DIEHARD
21-07-14, 11:41 PM
I cant watch it at all. Im in Oz for a few weeks, dont have Fox Sports and not enough internet to watch it online... So Im depending on all your comments.