PDA

View Full Version : Titans Latest Signing - Tyson Lofipo

Ipswich Fan
01-03-06, 02:44 PM
Titans Snap Up Tyson
Michael Hillier

At his first training run with the Jets in November last year, young centre Tyson Lofipo struggled to complete four laps of the oval.
These days, Lofipo breezes through not only 3200m but also the gruelling sprint work.
His stunning improvement made a big impression on Jets coach Trevor Gillmeister, who was quick to let the Gold Coast Titans know about the powerfully built Brothers junior.
After watching Lofipo play two trial games for the Jets colts team, Titans coach John Cartwright signed the boom 17-year-old to a two-year deal.
Cartwright, whose fledgling NRL club is aligned with the Jets, has been impressed with Lofipo's attitude and work ethic.
"We try and base our signings on the attitudes of the player and Gilly just can't speak highly enough of him ... and he's a hard marker," Cartwright said in Ipswich this week.
"He's obviously got skill on the field and he's only had a couple of years of league so he's an exciting prospect.
"I think he could get a run in Queensland Cup this year.
"He's playing colts, so he's not far away. With injuries or form, I think he's a chance of playing Queensland Cup."
Lofipo said he'd love to break into the Queensland Cup ranks before linking with the Titans in 2007.
"I can't wait (for next year)," the former St Edmunds College student said.
The Raceview-based footballer is enjoying pre-season training with the Jets.
"It's tough but it's good," he said.
"In early November, I couldn't do four (800m) laps.
"Now it gets easier."
Gillmeister said Lofipo had "come on in leaps and bounds" since November.
"It's amazing what can happen when you put in the work hard," the Jets mentor said.
"A lot of them did (struggle) but his fitness has jumped out of the ground since Christmas and that's why he's playing fair football."
Loofipo has made a stunning rise in rugby league since his family moved from Auckland to Ipswich two years ago.
"I just started playing league at the beginning of last year for Brothers," said Lofipo, who has a rugby union background.
"I watch it (league) more on TV so I enjoy it a bit more.
"Union is a bit scatty and all over the place. League is more hits and stuff."
Lofipo loves the physical side of rugby league.
His strength and power was on show last week when the Jets played the New Zealand Warriors Development team.
The Jets youngster was one of few Ipswich players who physically matched it with the Kiwis.
"It's like back at home," he said.
"They're all pretty big and fast."

courtesy of The Queensland Times

Dakink
01-03-06, 02:47 PM
Hehe struggled to make 4 laps - I hope he has improved!! Always like to read stories of young players achieving.

The Original Idiot
01-03-06, 09:46 PM
Big, strong players are always needed. Any indication of height and weight.

lonegull
02-03-06, 08:22 AM
great news hopefully a real find sounds like hes big and strong maybe one we can keep track of through the year

Ipswich Fan
02-03-06, 01:16 PM
I'm not sure on his weight & height but the couple of trials i've seen him in he goes pretty well.

DeeGan
26-03-06, 01:43 PM
**BUMP** :D

Found it!! Good job Luke!

Queenslander
26-03-06, 01:46 PM
Two good things about him is that he is a Brothers Junior, like myself ;) and he lives in my area....like myself ;)......He sounds like a good addition to the Titans!

Smithy
26-03-06, 05:37 PM
Two good things about him is that he is a Brothers Junior, like myself ;) and he lives in my area....like myself ;)......He sounds like a good addition to the Titans!

What year were you a Brothers Junior?

Queenslander
26-03-06, 06:26 PM
What year were you a Brothers Junior?

Back in the day when I was a young bloke ;) before my leg said no to footy :laugh:

Smithy
26-03-06, 06:41 PM
I, to was a Ipswich Brothers Junior but seeing that I am 15 years older than you, fair to say that we never crossed paths.

Queenslander
26-03-06, 07:06 PM
I, to was a Ipswich Brothers Junior but seeing that I am 15 years older than you, fair to say that we never crossed paths.

:laugh: Thats true :laugh: But its good to see some Brothers boys like Tyson Lofipo getting into the big time. :thumbsup:

Smithy
26-03-06, 08:00 PM
Certainly is. Are you still in Ipswich?
I used to live over at Raymonds Hill.
Went to St Edmunds Colledge when it was a League school.