PDA

View Full Version : Round 17: SOUTHS vs TITANS

DIEHARD
23-06-14, 11:45 AM
South Sydney vs Gold Coast Titans

titanslurker
23-06-14, 09:00 PM
this is really it for us tbh. we lose this then and its definitely season over.

Titan4Life
24-06-14, 05:42 AM
Does anyone see Carty picking Mead at fullback for this one. He got dropped from FB for the final 10mins (I think)? And like DB said maybe Carty has had enough of Zilly at FB, maybe he's finally realised. I am not that confident but it is a possibility.

DavidBouveng
24-06-14, 06:41 AM
Yeah I am keeping one eye in the team sheet.

Ut it wouldn't suprise me.

Smakked
24-06-14, 07:03 AM
Some one like the Rabbits are going to put 50 on us unfortunately.

nimud
24-06-14, 07:49 AM

Yeah, well, I'm going. I sat through some pretty big loses watching the Seagulls get totally flogged at Newcastle. I'll sit through this.

Numbers
24-06-14, 03:36 PM

Early odds from sportsbet - Rabbitohs 1.12 Titans 5.75

karnage
24-06-14, 04:46 PM
We are off a bye and they will be returning from NQ. A good coach would have the team ready to exploit this scheduling in our favor.

TITAN PETE
24-06-14, 07:40 PM
If Zillman wears the 1 I won't even watch it on TV

DIEHARD
30-06-14, 05:15 PM
Chris McQueen is out of this game and Origin 3 with an ankle injury.

Smakked
30-06-14, 06:06 PM
I think i will pass this game, the last 3 games of ours i have failed to watch until the end.

Geeman
30-06-14, 06:08 PM
I will still watch, as I do every game, but I am expecting to lose, it's just a question of by how much... :(

DIEHARD
30-06-14, 06:13 PM
Well I am also a Souths lover. So I can't go wrong watching.

Titanic
30-06-14, 08:15 PM
You'll go straight to hell for that :) … I will watch and wonder at my own stupidity.

Titan4Life
30-06-14, 10:37 PM
Expecting the same crap tomorrow in the back 5:
1. Zilly
2. Gordon
3. Taka/Tighe
4. Roberts
5. Mead

Btw anyone who is on twitter should follow @sackcarty. His tweets make fun of Carty and his stupid decisions. The scary thing is at first his tweets were funny now they are just telling the truth.

TITAN PETE
01-07-14, 06:31 AM
��
Expecting the same crap tomorrow in the back 5:
1. Zilly
2. Gordon
3. Taka/Tighe
4. Roberts
5. Mead

Btw anyone who is on twitter should follow @sackcarty. His tweets make fun of Carty and his stupid decisions. The scary thing is at first his tweets were funny now they are just telling the truth.

There will be no surprises & I follow @sackcarty , very funny

Titanic Believer
01-07-14, 09:19 AM

These days every Titan fan needs a backup team if you want some enjoyment from your footy.

Bayside Titan
01-07-14, 10:07 AM
These days every Titan fan needs a backup team if you want some enjoyment from your footy.
My back ups are the Cowboys/ Storm.

teke
01-07-14, 12:05 PM
My back ups are the Cowboys/ Storm.you might need another back up come finals time

Bayside Titan
01-07-14, 12:38 PM
you might need another back up come finals time

Oh I do. My back up teams are any team playing Manly :-).

5 Year Contract
01-07-14, 01:53 PM
Is it just me or has everyone else reached the peak of disillusionment with the team this season. I don't know the last few years have been terrible but I always thought it would get better. Maybe this is they year where I'm finally realizing Carty wont get sacked, Zillman will be our fullback for the foreseeable future and our same boring style of football. Haha my backup teams are the cowboys and the QLD Reds....dear god!!

timor 2
01-07-14, 02:28 PM
Titans
1 William Zillman
2 Kevin Gordon
3 James Roberts
4 Brad Takairangi
5 David Mead
6 Maurice Blair
7 Daniel Mortimer
8 Luke Bailey
9 Beau Falloon
10 Luke Douglas
11 Ben Ridge
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Paul Carter

Interchange
14 Matthew White
15 Mark Ioane
16 Cody Nelson
17 Matt Srama
18 Tom Kingston
21 Albert Kelly

Coach: John Cartwright

Hail Sezer
01-07-14, 02:39 PM
Wonder why they've swapped Taka and JR

TITAN PETE
01-07-14, 03:07 PM
I can't understand why he has selected Tom Kingston when he's playing for QLD Residents on Origin night .... hang on i'm talking about Fartwright & he hasn't got a clue

#sackcarty
#noIdea

Titanic
01-07-14, 05:52 PM
He's picked Kingston because he got shamed into it ... he has no intention of playing him.

Hail Sezer
01-07-14, 06:15 PM
I can't understand why he has selected Tom Kingston when he's playing for QLD Residents on Origin night .... hang on i'm talking about Fartwright & he hasn't got a clue

#sackcarty
#noIdea

Pete who would you rate higher, Kingston or Nelson?

teke
01-07-14, 08:07 PM
I rate tommy Kingston higher

TITAN PETE
01-07-14, 09:31 PM
Pete who would you rate higher, Kingston or Nelson?

Nelson is the more aggressive defender but Kingston the better player

I rate tommy Kingston higher

Me too should've had a crack at the top already

ozynorts
03-07-14, 07:20 AM
I see that the Suns game this weekend is almost sold out. Wonder what our crowd will be like???????????????

TITAN PETE
03-07-14, 08:06 AM
Rabbitohs v Titans preview
By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent
NRL.com
11:52am Wed 02nd July, 2014

Rabbitohs v Titans
ANZ Stadium
Monday, 7pm

The last thing that the Titans needed on Saturday night was to see the Rabbitohs get burned off at the flag drop by a Cowboys outfit desperately trying to reignite their finals aspirations and then fail to run them down in the dying stages.

Following four straight wins and a bye it was the type of game the Rabbitohs should have been right up for but, just like they did 12 months earlier, North Queensland gave the Bunnies a mid-season kick up the bum that will have fuelled South Sydney coach Michael Maguire's passion for a thorough preparation for this one.

The Rabbitohs have a losing record at ANZ Stadium so far in 2014 (3-4), the same record the Titans boast from their seven trips to the game's largest stadium since their inception in 2007.

They have to go back to 2010 for the last time they defeated South Sydney in Sydney and the Titans' task of avoiding a club-record seven-straight defeats has been made even more imposing with the loss of Origin stars Greg Bird, Nate Myles and Dave Taylor.

The Rabbitohs themselves aren't unaffected by Origin, with Greg Inglis and Ben Te'o in camp with the Maroons, but while they can keep the core of their team on the park they present a formidable challenge to any team they come up against.

In the wash-up little separated the Bunnies and Cowboys last weekend both statistically and on the scoreboard but you can bet that Maguire will spend much of this week focus on a brand of football that gives the Titans few opportunities to apply pressure, particularly in the first half.

The Titans have had two weeks to get over their one-point loss to the Dragons in Round 15 but won't have forgotten the 40-18 thumping the Rabbitohs dished out at Cbus Super Stadium back in Round 9.

Taylor's inclusion in the Maroons squad for Game Three will prevent him from lining up against his former club while James Roberts, another former Bunny, will play his third game for his new club.

Speaking of milestones for former Bunnies, Titans back-rower Mark Minichiello plays game No.250 on Monday night, he and Anthony now just one of three sets of brothers to each play at least 250 top grade games (Steve and Chris Mortimer, Steve and Kevin Walters).

Watch Out Rabbitohs: Ever since injuring his hamstring against the Raiders in Round 3, William Zillman has been forced to defend his position as the Titans' No.1 choice at fullback. David Mead's form in Zillman's absence forced the reliable custodian to come back into the side in the centres but for the past four weeks has returned to his more favoured position at the back. While his side has suffered loss after loss, Zillman has increased his involvement and has averaged a tick over 100 running metres per game. He was perhaps guilty of trying to do a little too much in Daniel Mortimer's first game for the club against the Storm in Round 15 but with two weeks of training together they should be a more potent combination on the edges. Expect him to target Rabbitohs centre Kyle Turner and his defensive combination with rookie winger Alex Johnston.

Watch Out Titans: Providing George Burgess is not a late inclusion on Monday night the Titans won't have to worry about seeing double but the job of containing twin brother Thomas is no less daunting. George has had a field day in his past two matches against the Titans but an ankle injury keeps him on the sideline and gives Thomas a second straight spot in the starting team for the first time in his NRL career. In the past four weeks he is averaging more than 126 metres per game but has only made a single tackle break in four of his five games thus far in 2014. With George missing again and coming off a disappointing loss to the Cowboys, Thomas needs to stamp himself on proceedings early and give his side the forward thrust they need to play their best football.

Plays To Watch: The propensity of these two teams to generate second-phase football is inversely proportional to their positions on the ladder. Titans coach John Cartwright said after the loss to the Dragons that their eagerness to offload is a key to an attack that has scored more points than only the Sharks thus far in 2014. On the other hand, the Rabbitohs' methodical method has seen them offload in traffic 56 less times than the Titans to be ranked 15th for the stat in the competition. For the Titans to win their offloads have to significantly disrupt the third-best defence in the competition while the Rabbitohs will drive through the middle third of the field relentlessly in order to give Koroisau, Luke, Reynolds and Sutton the platform to create.

Where It Will Be Won: The elevation of Apisai Koroisau into the starting team at the expense of Kiwi international Issac Luke is evidence enough that Rabbitohs coach Michael Maguire is looking for more energy around the dummy-half area from the opening whistle. Titans No.9 Beau Falloon also drives much of the enthusiasm around the ruck and from the defensive line and loves to engage the markers before playing short to a charging forward. Falloon and Mortimer have been working closely together since the former Rooster's arrival on the Gold Coast so don't be surprised to see the nippy No.7 pushing up in support when his hooker darts out of dummy-half. The Rabbitohs will push in behind the Titans' markers all night; how they handle it and counter themselves will determine whether the visitors can cause an upset.

The History: For the second game in a row the Titans have been drawn to play two nights before an Origin fixture and a Monday night at Homebush in winter with below-strength teams will put the record low crowd between these two teams of 8,021 under severe threat. The good news for Bunnies fans who do make the effort is that their team has won the past five encounters with the Titans by a combined scoreline of 155-72. The last time the Titans defeated South Sydney in Sydney was a 19-18 victory in Round 2, 2010.

What Are The Odds: Souths are $1.23 into $1.12 at Sportsbet.com.au. The Titans are $6.05 into $5.75, with three times the interest in the Gold Coast. Titans better backed at the 16.5 line.

Match Officials: Referee – Ashley Klein; Assistant Referee – Gavin Reynolds; Touch Judges – Adam Reid and Grant Atkins; Video Referees – Steve Chiddy and Ben Galea.

Televised: Fox Sports – Live 7pm.

The Way We See It: Despite their disjointed performance against the Cowboys last start it's hard not to see the home side running out convincing winners in this one and extending the Titans' losing streak to seven. The loss of Inglis is significant for South Sydney and the benching of Issac Luke should ensure he brings plenty of energy when he is introduced into the game. The Titans would love nothing more to turn this into an ugly, stop-start battle of attrition but even then they may not have the points in them to register a win. Rabbitohs by 14 points.

karnage
03-07-14, 08:09 AM
I see that the Suns game this weekend is almost sold out. Wonder what our crowd will be like???????????????

This is the sort of thing the board needs to be keeping their eye on. Yes, they're playing Collingwood so there will likely be more black and white there than red, but it is just another example of the Suns beating us on badge off the field. We only got 20k to a Broncos game!! That is inexcusable and it can be seen in stark relief when the Suns fill the stands.

- - - Updated - - -

"On badge off the field"??????

I just started using an ipad and it seems to autocorrect by its own rules......

TITAN PETE
03-07-14, 08:12 AM

It's in Sydney on a Monday night so there's not much chance of cracking 10k, can't compare anything to the Suns game as Collingwood will bring more than half the crowd from Melbourne..

- - - Updated - - -

Rabbitohs v Titans preview
By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent
NRL.com
11:52am Wed 02nd July, 2014

Watch Out Rabbitohs: Ever since injuring his hamstring against the Raiders in Round 3, William Zillman has been forced to defend his position as the Titans' No.1 choice at fullback. David Mead's form in Zillman's absence forced the reliable custodian to come back into the side in the centres but for the past four weeks has returned to his more favoured position at the back. While his side has suffered loss after loss, Zillman has increased his involvement and has averaged a tick over 100 running metres per game. He was perhaps guilty of trying to do a little too much in Daniel Mortimer's first game for the club against the Storm in Round 15 but with two weeks of training together they should be a more potent combination on the edges. Expect him to target Rabbitohs centre Kyle Turner and his defensive combination with rookie winger Alex Johnston.

Cartwright must write for the NRL :laugh:

ozynorts
03-07-14, 08:46 AM
Is he going to target them with a knock on or a wayward pass???? Or perhaps he will sting them with some of his brutal defence....

john cartwrong
03-07-14, 05:06 PM
Monday night football. Cold. Joyless. Crowd under 5000. Be like a home game for us!

DIEHARD
03-07-14, 05:23 PM
At what stage do we deploy people with clickers to count REAL figures at Titans games?

Photographic methods could also be used. A good photo of each bay around 10mins into the second half.

DavidBouveng
03-07-14, 05:32 PM
It's in Sydney on a Monday night so there's not much chance of cracking 10k, can't compare anything to the Suns game as Collingwood will bring more than half the crowd from Melbourne..

- - - Updated - - -

Cartwright must write for the NRL :laugh:

if he is a tick over 100, meady is a tick over 150 i think from memory.

Trying to do too much would be passing, kicking, running lines etc.

TITAN PETE
03-07-14, 06:01 PM
if he is a tick over 100, meady is a tick over 150 i think from memory.

Trying to do too much would be passing, kicking, running lines etc.

I think turning up is "trying too much" ..

john cartwrong
03-07-14, 06:15 PM
Giving someone a camera in each stand will reduce the photographed crowd number by 0.13%. May need to just get one person to take a picture of all four stands.

a flash of gordon
04-07-14, 12:15 PM
Gold Coast Titans: Ben Ridge ruled out with shoulder injury, Albert Kelly set to play

Damien Stannard
News Corp Australia Network
July 04, 2014 12:00PM

THE Gold Coast Titans have been forced into another reshuffle after back rower Ben Ridge was ruled out of Monday Night’s NRL match against South Sydney.

Gold Coast is already without forwards Nate Myles and Greg Bird (Origin) while new halves pairing Daniel Mortimer and Maurice Blair are still getting acquainted.

Ridge trained with the Titans rehabilitation group, with coach John Cartwright later confirming his shoulder injury was not up to the test against a strong Rabbitohs pack.

The good news for Cartwright was that halfback Albert Kelly trained strongly in his comeback from a leg injury and he is set to take his place on the bench.

Gold Coast is primed for a big match to honour forward Mark Minichiello’s 250 game milestone and avoid a club record seventh straight loss.

Supergoose
05-07-14, 08:10 AM
Is Dave Taylor chopped liver? One could argue that our results ride as much on his performance as anyone's yet he doesn't get mentioned as someone missing due to origin?

john cartwrong
05-07-14, 11:13 AM
Apart from xillman.... this is a 13 cartwright would almost never start with.

On that basis my prediction is we will win and half the side will get dropped for our defeat against canberra.

TITAN PETE
06-07-14, 09:21 AM
One loss away from a new club record that we don't want but I'm sure will happen , well done Fartwright

C-Whiz
06-07-14, 09:21 AM
Can we "do a Sharkies"?

Maybe we need to have a couple of coach-less games and just let the natural talent and instincts kick in.

john cartwrong
06-07-14, 12:04 PM
not sure who this caddo character is on the titans website. But he has obviously been brainwashed with the everyone's a backrower sentiment at the club.

"No one can remember having more back-rowers unavailable at one time. Missing on Monday will be Ash Harrison (early retirement), Greg Bird and Dave Taylor (Origin), Ridge and Caleb Binge (injured, plus Ryan James (injured) and Nate Myles who could have dropped back from the front row (Origin)"

if you work on the assumption that harro, birdy, nate and dt are regular-ish origin omissions. then his whole point is that we are missing those great backrowers ryan james and caleb binge. And that no one can ever remember ridgey being injured.

I find it so funny that we are moaning about a lack of backrowers when we have almost an entire squad of backrowers. more food for @sackcarty on twitter i think.

Nice one caddo. very funny.

DIEHARD
06-07-14, 02:04 PM
Well at least we won't be facing Greg Inglis.

teke
06-07-14, 05:21 PM
Well at least we won't be facing Greg Inglis.Just a returning Walker and Keary :laugh:

Hail Sezer
06-07-14, 08:43 PM
Rabbitohs wary of Titans' Roberts

DARREN WALTON
July 6, 2014, 1:30 pm

Two years after showing him the door, South Sydney fear tryscoring sensation James Roberts could return to bite them on Monday night.

Roberts will line up in the centres for Gold Coast at ANZ Stadium after being handed an NRL lifeline by the Titans following a succession of alcohol-related incidents that threatened to end the youngster's NRL career before it really began.

Released by the Rabbitohs in 2012, the talented nephew of former St George Illawarra, Sydney Roosters and Penrith star Amos Roberts also had his Panthers contract torn up this year after smashing a taxi window.

Now the Titans have given the 21-year-old one last chance - and the Rabbitohs know from experience the classy three-quarter has the game to take advantage of his good fortune.

After scoring a try on debut for the Rabbits in 2011, he repeated the feat at Penrith and then bagged a spectacular hat-trick in the Panthers' Holden Cup grand final triumph last year.

"James has had some off-field issues. If he can overcome them, he can do anything in the game. He's a real talent," said Souths captain John Sutton.

"I played with him here. He's fast, he's strong, he can score a try and he's been playing well for them since he got a start.

"We'll definitely have to look out for him."

Rabbitohs playmaker Adam Reynolds said it was sad to see Roberts leave the club.

"He came up in the under-20s and played the last part of the year with us. He scored 10 tries in five games or so. He's definitely a freak," Reynolds said.

"He's got a tremendous amount of talent, he's got a lot of speed and he's strong too. Definitely we're going to have to be on watch with him this week."

Despite suffering six straight defeats to tumble from the top of the table to fourth-last, the Titans are just four points behind fourth-placed Souths.

"They haven't been in the best of form lately so they'll be putting their season on the line and they'll be coming out all fired up," Sutton said.

"It's a real tight competition this year and every win is important, particularly from now on in.

"We have to get back in the winners' circle. We've got the bye next week and we definitely have to get the two points this week."

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/07/06/rabbitohs-wary-titans-roberts

DIEHARD
06-07-14, 11:40 PM
Daniel Mortimer sacrifices title shot with Sydney Roosters for opportunity at Gold Coast Titans
NEW Gold Coast halfback Daniel Mortimer believes he has knocked back another NRL premiership to steer the struggling Titans.

Mortimer, who will call the shots on Monday night against the South Sydney Rabbitohs at ANZ Stadium, is adjusting after a mid-season move from defending premiers the Roosters.

The switch posed a tough but rewarding challenge to stay in a utility role with a potential title winner or to earn a starting halfback spot with a side staring at a club record seventh-straight loss.

“It was hard leaving the defending premiers, and a side I believe will go back-to-back,” Mortimer said.

“But that’s why I’m here, to play big minutes in the halves.

“I wasn’t sure where I saw my future but last Sunday (in a 19-18 round 16 loss against the Dragons at Cbus Super Stadium on June 22) confirmed it.

‘‘I feel at home at halfback.

“Being in the thick of the action, I hadn’t done that for a year.”

Mortimer found it tough farewelling his on and off-field families at the Roosters to link with Gold Coast.

He knows he will eventually have to fight for the No.7 jersey when his former housemate Albert Kelly and Aidan Sezer are fully fit but the offer was too good to refuse.

The potential he sees in a backline featuring Kevin Gordon, David Mead, and another new arrival, centre James Roberts, is exciting.

After barely a couple of sessions with his new club, Mortimer created opportunities in his first start against the Dragons.

With another fortnight of training under his belt he expects to be even sharper against South Sydney.

At least he is no longer functioning on the same abbreviated wardrobe rotation after his belongings arrived from Sydney on Friday.

The Titans are running last in the competition for tries scored from line breaks and average just 2.8 tries per game.

The last meeting between the two sides – 40-18, May 10 in round 9 – was the start of the Titans’ six-match losing streak.

But the Titans will be determined to honour the 250th game milestone for second-rower Mark Minichiello.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/daniel-mortimer-sacrifices-title-shot-with-sydney-roosters-for-opportunity-at-gold-coast-titans/story-fniabrr8-1226978897368

Titanic
07-07-14, 02:32 AM
Transiting Frankfurt headed for Amsterdam and won't see the game until some time in the night … expecting a belting … and bloody Idris might be a stupid drunken fool who needs his daddy Carty whenever he gets in trouble but when he wants to play football he goes elsewhere … that's what's wrong with our club right there.

Nick
07-07-14, 08:28 AM
A week of upsets this one. I hate the hierarchy of the club but I still think they are capable of beating any team. A couple of the players I know are not fond of the club management or coaching.

Titan4Life
07-07-14, 06:12 PM
Their kick returns are killing us. Our wingers and centres can't tackle them. We haven't looked bad in the opening 8 or 9 minutes.

- - - Updated - - -

Try Rabbits. Mead lets Merrit catch it and get the pass away. Keary scores.
6-0

TITAN PETE
07-07-14, 06:14 PM
Disgraceful effort from Mead , are they coached to not catch a bomb

Titan4Life
07-07-14, 06:24 PM
Terrible decision by refs. Burgess knocks it on and Bailey passes it to offside player. Refs call penalty instead of knock on. We save it anyway through Mortimer who cleans up the scraps of a Souths kick.

lonegull
07-07-14, 06:26 PM
How is Gordon in front of don bewilders me, kevvie seems disinterested and making some stupid onfield decisions

Titan4Life
07-07-14, 06:42 PM
God I'm sick of KG's dummy half runs. Especially when there's 4 Southern players on short side and he goes that side. FFS we have to defend again :mad:

- - - Updated - - -

Yes Merrit knocks it on. Agree with lonegull Don > Gordon.

- - - Updated - - -

If not for Souths errors it would be 20-0 by now. However there is no doubt we are trying hard, just silly decisions costing us (as usual).

Also, I am starting to really like Mortimer. His kicking game and the chances he creates is impressive.

lonegull
07-07-14, 06:44 PM
That's why mead should be fullback, the lines he runs is way better than what zillman offers, have a look at where mead comes
From to score zilly would have arrived early and run into a titans player

- - - Updated - - -

Gee Mortimer is impressing me really giving the side direction
Ioane is digging in also should be in the 17 every week

Titan4Life
07-07-14, 06:44 PM
TRY TITANS! Zillman to Kelly who passes inside to Mead. Good work boys!
8-4 Bunnies

C-Whiz
07-07-14, 06:46 PM
I'm working, just watched the last 5 minutes, nice to have a half who creates something for the team rather than just himself. This looks like a team coached by Henry (from the 5 minutes I have watched). A lot of outside in ball and a few wrap plays. It's different, it's borderline exciting. Much better than the past 6 weeks. I don't think we will win but it's watchable.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a real competition. I'd turn up to watch this.

Titan4Life
07-07-14, 06:48 PM
I'm working, just watched the last 5 minutes, nice to have a half who creates something for the team rather than just himself. This looks like a team coached by Henry (from the 5 minutes I have watched). A lot of outside in ball and a few wrap plays. It's different, it's borderline exciting. Much better than the past 6 weeks. I don't think we will win but it's watchable.
Yeah this game we are looking pretty good. Mortimer is creating chances constantly and I believe him and Kelly are our best halves combination. Kevvie is the only player that has had a bad game.

- - - Updated - - -

Kelly nearly scores but loses it. Like C-Whiz said this may be a game that we can watch. Both teams capable of winning but Bunnies will come out firing in the second half.

teke
07-07-14, 06:49 PM
Zilllolololol 5 mtrs infront of Kelly offload

Titan4Life
07-07-14, 06:51 PM
Good defence by KG, Zilly, Taka and Kelly saves a possible try attempt on the siren by the Bunnies. I nearly has a heart attack :ugh:

lonegull
07-07-14, 06:51 PM
Not a bad half by the titans, the bunnies have had the calls go there way, one of the better defensive halfs from the titans all year, they are really stinging the rabbits

gotitans101_
07-07-14, 06:54 PM
Ioane is digging in also should be in the 17 every week

He has a bit of speed for a forward too. Always has a dig - shame he'll be dropped next week.

Titan4Life
07-07-14, 06:55 PM
8-4 to the Rabbits at halftime. Could go either way but no doubt Bunnies will come out firing in the second half. Not a bad word to say about anyone besides maybe KG (his tackle at the end was pretty good though). Come on titans!!

gotitans101_
07-07-14, 06:57 PM
Rabbitohs errors have saved us. I've seen nothing different in this Titans team to any other week - nice set play Kelly - Mead though. Zilly needs to gtfo.

Titanic Believer
07-07-14, 06:59 PM
Stats are very close but rabbits have made a lot of errors. Should be an interesting 2nd half

TITAN PETE
07-07-14, 07:00 PM
Huge effort to be only down by 4 , Kelly is looking very sharp for the 1st time in a long while hopefully he will make a great combo with Morts

lonegull
07-07-14, 07:02 PM
He has a bit of speed for a forward too. Always has a dig - shame he'll be dropped next week.
Yeah he seems to make the advantage every time and has some good footwork at the line offers something different to our other frontrowers I like him in our rotation and can play big minutes if needed

Boonarga
07-07-14, 07:04 PM
How can a first grade ref give a penalty after a knock-on? It states specifically in the rules that you can't be penalized offside if the other team knocks on.

Mexican titan
07-07-14, 07:05 PM
Rabbitohs errors have saved us. I've seen nothing different in this Titans team to any other week - nice set play Kelly - Mead though. Zilly needs to gtfo.

My view as well. Rabbits are completing at about 50% so if they tighten that up they should win. Not much different in attack but the try was a nice set play. Other than that our kicks on their line have been poor. Morts field kicking is good and he really looks the goods overall. Hopefully they can set their attack around him and Kelly.
Here's hoping but our second half performamnces for many weeks ahev been poor.

Titan4Life
07-07-14, 07:06 PM
John Cartwright actually told our team to spread the ball and use inside balls. The players probably don't know what they are. Haven't been coached them and haven't used them for a while.

- - - Updated - - -

How can a first grade ref give a penalty after a knock-on? It states specifically in the rules that you can't be penalized offside if the other team knocks on.

That's why I was confused.

Mexican titan
07-07-14, 07:07 PM

What gets me is that he was questioned by our players but refused to change it or was told by the video ref to change it back to a scrum with our feed. The refs changed a few calls on Friday night after being given the tip by the video blokes.

gotitans101_
07-07-14, 07:08 PM
oh ****, Mead clutching at his jaw again.

Titan4Life
07-07-14, 07:14 PM
Apparently Reynolds can hardly stand on his injured leg. A good team would target him and direct our attack that way.

- - - Updated - - -

oh ****, Mead clutching at his jaw again.
Luckily he's okay

- - - Updated - - -

2 penalties get us up field and into their 20. Please score.

- - - Updated - - -

TRY TITANS! Will Zillman scores by stepping through. Great try there.
8-8 KTC

Where has that been lately Zilly??

Titanic Believer
07-07-14, 07:14 PM
how long since we have seen Zilly break a tackle? good to see

Titan4Life
07-07-14, 07:18 PM
It was a great try by Zilly. Haven't seen it for a while. And he just ran an inside line! What is going on? Where has this form been?

- - - Updated - - -

Burgess gone and Reynolds barely standing. Rabbits nearly scores but Mini strips it one on one. We are looking great in the last 10 minutes.

- - - Updated - - -

We just threw a forward pass :doh:

Boonarga
07-07-14, 07:19 PM
Falloon! Great defender but he's given 4 penalties away and now a dumb pass.

Titan4Life
07-07-14, 07:40 PM
Zilly breaks through again but his offload went to ground. We are giving away too many penalties lately. Shooting ourself in the foot.

- - - Updated - - -

Tommy Kingston steps around a few before linking up with Douglas who nearly scores but it is stripped out in goal. I am starting to like Kingston. Nelson is also hitting hard in defence.

- - - Updated - - -

Zillman off the field with concussion.

- - - Updated - - -

TRY TITANS! A bomb tapped back by KG goes to Taka who throws it back to Gordon and he dives in the corner. Gordy converts.
14-10 Titans

gotitans101_
07-07-14, 07:45 PM
holy **** we're finally aiming up, where was this the past 2 months?

Titan4Life
07-07-14, 07:54 PM
Davey Mead's tackle before was outstanding. I really hope we can hold on .

- - - Updated - - -

3 minutes left. 14-10 Titans lead. Please don't lose it here.

- - - Updated - - -

1.5 minutes to go and Rabbits have it. I am having a heart attack :helpme:

- - - Updated - - -

They throw it over the sideline and we should win!
14-10 Titans
79th Minute

Titanic Believer
07-07-14, 07:55 PM
great win! showed a lot of heart if not technique. all a bit ugly like the early season wins

lonegull
07-07-14, 07:56 PM
Mead two try saving tackles at fullback was the difference

Will sum up the game in short GRIT and DETERMINATION, gee they played for each other tonight great win

gotitans101_
07-07-14, 07:56 PM
How much better do we look when Mead is playing fullback?

Mexican titan
07-07-14, 07:59 PM
That was a gutsy effort. Poor quality game and Souths were dreadful for the side they are but credit where it's due. Mead great at fullback while he was there but in fairness Zilly was good tonight.
Hopefully you lived to see the game out Titan4Life!

5 Year Contract
07-07-14, 08:00 PM
Ugly win but showed some grit to finally get the breakthrough!

Thumbs Up:
Carter, Mead and Roberts (great defense by all 3 and some good runs)

Thumbs Down:
Taka (jesus his decision making and "kicks" were god awful), Falloon (how many penalties did he give away)

Honourable mention:
The bench stepped up and some great debuts (white excluded he was meh as always)

The William Zillman Award for excellence in medicority: William Zillman (dont want to hear about that try even a broken clock is right twice a day).

seriously though how the **** is Mead not fullback. He showed enough in the last 20mins then Zillman has all year. Fingers crossed season ending injury

Titan4Life
07-07-14, 08:04 PM
We win 14-10. What a great win! We looked like a different team tonight. Good defence and pretty good attack.

Zilly had a great game. Breaking tackles and good line running. He still had his flaws but he was one of our best tonight IMO.

Meady won us this game in the last 10 mins. His defence at fullback and his line running was outstanding.

Our forwards worked hard and I was impressed with Kingston and Melson who both ran hard and smashed them in defence. Douglas is a workhorse and Mini had a good game for his 250th.

I believe our best halves combo is Kelly and Mortimer. Kelly looked like he was nearly back to his best and Mortimer played good, continuously creating chances. They did look rusty at times but after a few weeks they should go alright.

- - - Updated - - -

That was a gutsy effort. Poor quality game and Souths were dreadful for the side they are but credit where it's due. Mead great at fullback while he was there but in fairness Zilly was good tonight.
Hopefully you lived to see the game out Titan4Life!
I did haha. Thanks for showing concern :)

Mexican titan
07-07-14, 08:04 PM
seriously though how the **** is Mead not fullback. He showed enough in the last 20mins then Zillman has all year. Fingers crossed season ending injury

Didn't Zilly come back on and was there at the finish? Pretty certain he was there.

teke
07-07-14, 08:05 PM
Mead at fb for 600 seconds and titans dominate.

His injury looks bad, oh well zilllololol back to the back

Titan4Life
07-07-14, 08:05 PM
Didn't Zilly come back on and was there at the finish? Pretty certain he was there.

Yes he came back on in the last 5 or so.

Ausphin
07-07-14, 08:08 PM
Ugly win but showed some grit to finally get the breakthrough!

Thumbs Up:
Carter, Mead and Roberts (great defense by all 3 and some good runs)

Thumbs Down:
Taka (jesus his decision making and "kicks" were god awful), Falloon (how many penalties did he give away)

Honourable mention:
The bench stepped up and some great debuts (white excluded he was meh as always)

The William Zillman Award for excellence in medicority: William Zillman (dont want to hear about that try even a broken clock is right twice a day).

Fair enough if you don't rate Zillman, but hoping for a season ending injury. Poor form mate.

5 Year Contract
07-07-14, 08:11 PM
If he was I didnt see him saving the game for us twice. Harshness aside no one can say regardless of how he played this game (an improved showing yes but still not our #1 option in the side) that he deserves to be fullback. Mead is better hands down. Time to stop handing out 5 year contracts everytime he has a good game

- - - Updated - - -

Fair enough if you don't rate Zillman, but hoping for a season ending injury. Poor form mate.
Look at my name mate geeze tongue firmly planted in cheek. If the team was picked on form Zillman wouldnt be copping the hate he does because he wouldnt be there.

lonegull
07-07-14, 08:12 PM
Forgot to mention a special night for the titans first grade with a great win and don't forget the future first graders in the NYC also got up over the bunnies, winners in two grades got to give credit where given I couldn't let
Slip about the NYC side been a long season for them

Titan4Life
07-07-14, 08:15 PM
If he was I didnt see him saving the game for us twice. Harshness aside no one can say regardless of how he played this game (an improved showing yes but still not our #1 option in the side) that he deserves to be fullback. Mead is better hands down. Time to stop handing out 5 year contracts everytime he has a good game

- - - Updated - - -

Look at my name mate geeze tongue firmly planted in cheek. If the team was picked on form Zillman wouldnt be copping the hate he does because he wouldnt be there.

But wishing a season ending injury on someone is terrible, no matter if you hate him or not.

5 Year Contract
07-07-14, 08:18 PM
But wishing a season ending injury on someone is terrible, no matter if you hate him or not.
Okay obviously need to explain it. No I dont wish a season ending injury to Zillman. It was a joke. If you want to then launch into well its not funny or poor taste fair enough but its in response to the joke of our selection. I dont hate Zillman.

I just dont think he is our best fullback and shouldnt be in the squad. He should never be put in this position as he isnt up to standard and is made to look foolish by missing tackles and costing us tries which ultimately lead to costing us games. Its the flaw in the club and coaching system.

If we want to get overly PC then fair enough but if you think I would actually honestly wish a season ending injury to a club I love and support and want to do well then i give up but fair shot take a joke lads

Titan4Life
07-07-14, 08:23 PM
Okay obviously need to explain it. No I dont wish a season ending injury to Zillman. It was a joke. If you want to then launch into well its not funny or poor taste fair enough but its in response to the joke of our selection. I dont hate Zillman.

I just dont think he is our best fullback and shouldnt be in the squad. He should never be put in this position as he isnt up to standard and is made to look foolish by missing tackles and costing us tries which ultimately lead to costing us games. Its the flaw in the club and coaching system.

If we want to get overly PC then fair enough but if you think I would actually honestly wish a season ending injury to a club I love and support and want to do well then i give up but fair shot take a joke lads

Fair enough. I am not a Zilly supporter, nor a hater, but people need to give him credit when he has a good game. Sure Meady may be our best choice and he won us the game in the last 5 but give Zilly a wrap when he deserves it.

Tamwelg
07-07-14, 08:25 PM
I'm shocked. As much as the Bunnies did show up, I think our defense was very staunch. Carter bring so much enthusiasm to the side and has some raw aggression.

Tamwelg
07-07-14, 08:26 PM
Fair enough. I am not a Zilly supporter, nor a hater, but people need to give him credit when he has a good game. Sure Meady may be our best choice and he won us the game in the last 5 but give Zilly a wrap when he deserves it.

AGreed. He didn't have a bad game at all tonight.

karnage
07-07-14, 08:27 PM
That is the worst possible result for us tonight. The Rabbits were ATROCIOUS and we won by 4 points after they literally threw the game away in the last minute. I find these sorts of wins so deflating because they validate this ridiculous notion that we are not far off - but we are faaaaaaaaaarking MILES off.

One positive - Carter. He is the youngest player in our team (??) and is already our undoubted leader.

But that's it. There is nothing to take from this game other than a sinking feeling that Carty and our front office will spin this into some heroic win against all the odds.

Spare me. This was a NSW Cup standard pile of rubbish. Sure, we won't get the spoon now but if you think we are closer to winning a final after that you are kidding yourself.

Titan4Life
I'm shocked. As much as the Bunnies did show up, I think our defense was very staunch. Carter bring so much enthusiasm to the side and has some raw aggression.

Yes our defence was especially great in the last 10 minutes. We defended 3 or 4 sets on our own line. Carter hits hard but sometimes gives away a few penalties. He had a great return game though.

Tamwelg
Thumbs Down:
Falloon (how many penalties did he give away)

Not as many and Bailey and Carter.

nimud
07-07-14, 08:29 PM
I thought the forward pack didn't stop trying tonight, led by the Bull.
Kingston was very tough in his debut.
Paul Carter was excellent again.
Mortimer steered the team well.
Alby looked to have his mojo back.
Mead made some crucial plays late in the game, including that try saver, then pick-up to run 30 meters.
We play like that (minus the penalties) vs Raiders, we should get the points.

Titan4Life
07-07-14, 08:29 PM
That is the worst possible result for us tonight. The Rabbits were ATROCIOUS and we won by 4 points after they literally threw the game away in the last minute. I find these sorts of wins so deflating because they validate this ridiculous notion that we are not far off - but we are faaaaaaaaaarking MILES off.

One positive - Carter. He is the youngest player in our team (??) and is already our undoubted leader.

But that's it. There is nothing to take from this game other than a sinking feeling that Carty and our front office will spin this into some heroic win against all the odds.

Spare me. This was a NSW Cup standard pile of rubbish. Sure, we won't get the spoon now but if you think we are closer to winning a final after that you are kidding yourself.

No one is saying we will win a final but we played good tonight. Some silly errors but the boys really dug deep in defence. Our attack was alright too. We were throwing inside balls and spreading it wide.

Ausphin
07-07-14, 08:31 PM
Didn't have a bad player tonight ( though Taka made some poor decisions) but man of the match for me was Luke Douglas. Massive effort. Does the job every week but thought he was great tonight.

nimud
07-07-14, 08:32 PM

You're entitled to your opinion Karnage, but fair dinkum? We were never expected to come close in this game.

It was a2014 Titans win. ****e handling, penalties galore, but had a dig. It's our first win since April FFS.

Mexican titan
07-07-14, 08:33 PM

Yes you are right mate and one of the kids who prefers to listen to Triple M told me that Andrew Johns said it was the worst he had seen from Souths for 5 years but............can't we just enjoy a win. We will still miss the 8 and to me that should be enough for Carty to go but don't forget we had Bird, Myles and Taylor out which is a massive take from our forward pack. I have continually bagged this club and coach for a while now but for as poor as the game was, it was a win against the odds so I am happy to give them credit for it.

5 Year Contract
07-07-14, 08:35 PM
Definitely I agree with you he had a improved game and was a great try. I just wont get carried away by one half decent game from him when he has let us down since coming back to fullback. It's like saying Carty is a good coach because we won tonight. But you are only as good as your last game so Zillman gets a pass but again frustrating that it takes him to go off injured to prove who our #1 is.

Anyways I can argue about Zillman for days, hopefully Mead is #1 next week and Zillman can earn his stripes in another position if he is good enough and if he proves he is then I will back him.

Highlight for me tonight was Carter. What a great comeback. Still some penalties in him but he gives us that go forward and dare I say a bit of "fear" of our defense with his hits. Roberts while not explosive in attack was outstanding in defense. Some beautiful efforts! Hopefully a Alby, Mortimer combination can build and give us some momentum into the finals. Fingers crossed now we dont lose anyone in origin

karnage
07-07-14, 08:35 PM
The Rabbits completed 58% of their sets.

The Rabbits made 17 (!!) handling errors.

They missed 22 tackles.

They conceded 10 penalties (I conceded this is a weak point as the refereeing was pathetic)

This win reminds me so much of our Rd 1 win against the Cowboys a few seasons ago when the Cowboys were disgracefully bad. You know what happened after that win?? We came home and got beaten by the Raiders. Oh my God....

john cartwrong
07-07-14, 08:38 PM
I thought cody nelson and tom kingston really stood up tonight.

nimud
Good to see that Maurice Blair got hooked after the garbage cross-field bomb to Gordo. Kelly came on and added that x-factor we needed against a tiring defence.
Taka was grubber happy tonite.

teke
This win reminds me so much of our Rd 1 win against the Cowboys a few seasons ago when the Cowboys were disgracefully bad. You know what happened after that win?? We came home and got beaten by the Raiders. Oh my God....:laugh::laugh:

Mexican titan
Didn't have a bad player tonight ( though Taka made some poor decisions) but man of the match for me was Luke Douglas. Massive effort. Does the job every week but thought he was great tonight.

Not sure that I would agree about Douglas doing the job every week but I agree with you about tonight. He was great.
As for Taka - rocks or diamonds with him. That attempted kick on the 3rd with a few minutes to go, butearlier had the nerve to get the ball to Gordon when it looked like he would score himself at one stage.

Titan4Life
07-07-14, 08:39 PM

They missed 22 tackles.

They conceded 10 penalties (I conceded this is a weak point as the refereeing was pathetic)

This win reminds me so much of our Rd 1 win against the Cowboys a few seasons ago when the Cowboys were disgracefully bad. You know what happened after that win?? We came home and got beaten by the Raiders. Oh my God....

However like Mexican Titan said, we were missing Myles, Taylor, Bird and many more through origin and injury. And we were expected to lose by 13+ but managed to win. Not saying we are premiership worthy, just happy to finally get a win.

K2G
Zilly's best game in two seasons for us, but he was still outshone at fullback by meady.
Falloon's penalties were terrible. Roberts was great in defence. Don > Gordon. Kingston, Nelson and Ioane were impressive.
Agree with karnage though - deceptive win will hide how bad we were/are. That said - effort was there. We are a half decent coach short of being a legitimate NRL quality team.

What's meads injury? How bad is it?

5 Year Contract
Good to see that Maurice Blair got hooked after the garbage cross-field bomb to Gordo. Kelly came on and added that x-factor we needed against a tiring defence.
Taka was grubber happy tonite.
This.

Hopefully Alby and Mortimer can stay fit and we never see him at 6 again!

karnage
07-07-14, 08:41 PM
Yes you are right mate and one of the kids who prefers to listen to Triple M told me that Andrew Johns said it was the worst he had seen from Souths for 5 years but............can't we just enjoy a win. We will still miss the 8 and to me that should be enough for Carty to go but don't forget we had Bird, Myles and Taylor out which is a massive take from our forward pack. I have continually bagged this club and coach for a while now but for as poor as the game was, it was a win against the odds so I am happy to give them credit for it.

Fair call.

I can't enjoy it because it will probably be used as leverage to maintain the status quo that will lead to another depressing year in 2015.

nimud
07-07-14, 08:41 PM

They missed 22 tackles.

We won!!! We won after losing 6 straight!!! We were never going to win fancy with key players out and against a team who is a supposed GF contender and a team we haven't beaten in years.

5 Year Contract
07-07-14, 08:44 PM
Fair call.

I can't enjoy it because it will probably be used as leverage to maintain the status quo that will lead to another depressing year in 2015.

I know how you feel mate! Unfortunately this will be spun into: Carty has our team headed towards final and Zillman's best game all year cements #1 spot. But it is our club so you gota take the wins when you can get them. Minus the inevitable spin we were still good enough in the end to get the 2 points i'll take that over a club equaling record loss any day.

DavidBouveng
07-07-14, 08:45 PM
carter was a beast. he should never be out of the 17, and should probably be starting somehow. taylor and bird as second row and Carter at 13 maybe. i dont know, but he brings something good to the team.

Mead instantly changes the look of our play. his try saver on merritt, then makes the second effort and dashes 30 metres was awesome. we all know he is the man.

Zilly played as well as i can remember him playing. His try showed ability, bit of speed, a step, a dummy and some positive intent. WTF is that the rest of the time...im almost MORE mad knowing he has it inside him somewhere but only brings it out once every few years.

Rest of game was pretty poor, but i did notice Ioane getting stuck in. i think given the chance we could field a team of young forwards and do pretty well with some coaching. our recruitment is actually pretty good, its just the selection and development that isnt where it needs to be.

5 Year Contract
07-07-14, 08:46 PM
carter was a beast. he should never be out of the 17, and should probably be starting somehow. taylor and bird as second row and Carter at 13 maybe. i dont know, but he brings something good to the team.

Mead instantly changes the look of our play. his try saver on merritt, then makes the second effort and dashes 30 metres was awesome. we all know he is the man.

Zilly played as well as i can remember him playing. His try showed ability, bit of speed, a step, a dummy and some positive intent. WTF is that the rest of the time...im almost MORE mad knowing he has it inside him somewhere but only brings it out once every few years.

Rest of game was pretty poor, but i did notice Ioane getting stuck in. i think given the chance we could field a team of young forwards and do pretty well with some coaching. our recruitment is actually pretty good, its just the selection and development that isnt where it needs to be.

I forgot to mention Ioane. Fantastic game! Really got stuck in with some great hitups and defence. Cody Nelson was great too! At last a few positive signs for the future!

Mexican titan
07-07-14, 08:49 PM
I think back to only six weeks or so ago when Souths smashed us at Robina and to me looked the best team performance I had seen this year. God knows what happened to them tonight but I am glad that they have to worry about it, not us.
One thing I noticed tonight was that the usually feral Souths crowd were fairly quiet which probably shows how bad even they thought their team was playing.
I don't say this meaning to take any credit away from our blokes - just my observations.

Titan4Life
07-07-14, 08:51 PM
I forgot to mention Ioane. Fantastic game! Really got stuck in with some great hitups and defence. Cody Nelson was great too! At last a few positive signs for the future!

If we can retain them and not lose them to other clubs. Knowing us we probably will let them go.

5 Year Contract
07-07-14, 08:54 PM
If we can retain them and not lose them to other clubs. Knowing us we probably will.
Im having Hymel Hunt flashbacks!

Titan4Life
07-07-14, 08:55 PM
Im having Hymel Hunt flashbacks!

Don't remind me of that. What were we thinking?

teke
07-07-14, 08:58 PM
We were right in thinking Hymel would never be a first grader

Supergoose
07-07-14, 08:59 PM
Totally exhilarating to get that win and we stay in the hunt for another week. Encouraging signs and if we can get rid of the rubbish from Falloon and can get the positions settled when the origin players return, we can beat anyone.

Really enjoyed the display put on by Nelson and Kingston, but Minichiello was our outstanding player tonight. Mini has been great in the last three games and has shown me he still has value for us.

We had a shaky start with Mead and Gordon making a couple of blunders but the whole side stuck at it and kept coming all night.

I'd also like to single out a series of tackles that Roberts made at a time when our line had been scrambled. He ran down Johnston and followed up with two tackles from marker to allow us to get set again. He showed what a remarkable athlete and competitor he is and I'm so glad he has found his way to our side. I thought Taka did some good things too amongst some ordinary things and it will be interesting to see if he can hold his starting spot.

Here's hoping the blokes who played tonight can continue to contribute when the origin stars are back on deck and let's. Old those origin stars can get some faith in these blokes and not overplay their hand.

Jonathonbcode
07-07-14, 09:03 PM
Knock on wood that Mead is secured in the fullback position...

shamus
07-07-14, 09:16 PM
Knock on wood that Mead is secured in the fullback position...

David Bowie and probably not..:nope:

Nick
07-07-14, 09:23 PM
The win was a nice top up for my vBookie account! I was speaking to a couple of the guys yesterday and they were very confident of getting the win tonight. The boys defended brilliantly, yes souths dropped some ball, but they certainly were not atrocious. We have got a good team of players that are capable of defending against any team.. We just need some structure to get us over their line. Great conversion from Gordon for his own try also, he did well to get himself back into position to score that try too.

shamus
07-07-14, 09:34 PM
Gordon is an average kicker (only coz he isn't a kicker)...but I would take him over Mortimer every time.

C-Whiz
07-07-14, 09:55 PM
I watched about 5 minutes of this game (around the 30 minute mark) and I saw us pass like we had trained to pass the ball and run some plays. The rest I listened to on the radio.

The thing that concerns me is whether we actually played well, whether Souths played really bad or if we have just become so used to boring hit-ups that any passing game looks exciting. Completions and penatlies says everyone played ****e, yet I was still excited to get a win and see the ball passed side-to-side.

Like others, I pray that this doesn;t become the geen light for a Carty/Zillman revival. From the 5 minutes i saw it reeked of Henry coaching and Mortimer showing how a proper half back steers a team around, rather than just looking for opportunity on opposition errors.

- - - Updated - - -

ps, on the radio the last 10 minutes sounded like we really muscled up in defence on your try line. About 3 or 4 sets. I can;t wait to see it, but that sounded like the sort of desperate defence that can win games when you can only score 3 tries. At least it sounds like we still have that try-line defence.

Supergoose
07-07-14, 10:06 PM
The win was a nice top up for my vBookie account! I was speaking to a couple of the guys yesterday and they were very confident of getting the win tonight. The boys defended brilliantly, yes souths dropped some ball, but they certainly were not atrocious. We have got a good team of players that are capable of defending against any team.. We just need some structure to get us over their line. Great conversion from Gordon for his own try also, he did well to get himself back into position to score that try too.
Massive vBookie win. I think that takes you to the front. I added around $400 to my accoun backing the underdogs this round. Wish I had have splashed a bit more vCash on it now (and some real stuff)

Nick
07-07-14, 10:13 PM
Massive vBookie win. I think that takes you to the front. I added around $400 to my accoun backing the underdogs this round. Wish I had have splashed a bit more vCash on it now (and some real stuff)

I only had a bit of the real stuff on, i needed the vCash top up too.

Numbers
08-07-14, 12:24 AM
We now have the equal best away record, 5-2 (Bulldogs) and the equal worst home record, 2-6 (Sharks). As the Yanks say, go figure...

Titanic
08-07-14, 06:47 AM
Some of you guys were watching a different game but I'll let you debate who I mean :-)

I'll take the 2 and not much else because this was a case of going three steps forward and two steps back … also there should be about 20 quotes for the ridiculous things our coach says thread … what's this confidence crap he keeps going on about? Has he run out of factual football analyses to discuss?

Liked the new faces, liked Mortimer/Kelly, disliked the horrible flow of the game, disliked Zillman whose try was his only redeeming factor (the tackles are to be expected in first grade and his catching was only just short of woeful) but truly loved the 2 points.

Finally, anybody else getting suspicious that we go better without Myles and quite possibly Bird? I think in Taylor we are starting to see some consistency.

shamus
08-07-14, 07:28 AM
ps, on the radio the last 10 minutes sounded like we really muscled up in defence on your try line. About 3 or 4 sets. I can;t wait to see it, but that sounded like the sort of desperate defence that can win games when you can only score 3 tries. At least it sounds like we still have that try-line defence.

Hey Whiz, yes we did muscle up and we were pretty damn good but TBH had Souths hung onto another 15-20% of the ball throughout the game we would have been done by 20 easy. In other words, Souths were woeful.

Hail Sezer
08-07-14, 07:40 AM
Really impressed with Nelson and Kingston. Would be fine with either of them playing first grade each week.

Mini is playing with more heart than we've seen for years IMO. You all know ive never been his biggest fan, but this year he has been great.

Mead was exceptionally good and kept himself busy which really benefitted us. Zillman was good for Zillman but he still would be behind Mead by a country mile, even when he plays like last night.

I think Taka was again guilty of doing too much. Big call but I'd put Blair in at left Centre instead.

Kelly and Mortimer need to be our halves. Simple.

Its always going to be difficult for a player to be potent in attack in our structure. Roberts impressed me a lot again, this time with his defence. Every time the bunnies made a break I'd look for JR to gun them down. Snipered 'em. Most of us on the forum had questions surrounding his defence as a centre, but I think he has been superb given his age and inexperience.

Overall, poor game, Bunnies were appalling, but we showed the grit we had at the start of the year. Feels a lot better winning than losing, albeit ugly.

Tamwelg
08-07-14, 07:52 AM
Titanic, you make a good point re Myles / Bird. Do you think the Mead try (which I though was one of our best backline movement in a long time) would have been scored with Bird there on the left? Bird has been one of our best players over the past few years, but does he get too much ball and shut down some back line movement, and is that him demanding it or Sezer feeding him.

Smakked
08-07-14, 08:16 AM
Well didnt expect to Win that one, Rabbits played poorly but a win is a win, Great Defense on our line.
Ioane was awesome, Carter deserves to start, just needs to watch his penaltys. Zillman got a good try showed what he can do. I think Zillman would play better if pressure was put on him , as he knows he has the FB spot no matter what or even a place in the side for that matter.

Meads Defense was awesome, he redeemed himself after the first try from the rabbits.

Overall happy with the Win.

gotitans101_
08-07-14, 10:50 AM
Some of you guys were watching a different game but I'll let you debate who I mean :-)

Finally, anybody else getting suspicious that we go better without Myles and quite possibly Bird? I think in Taylor we are starting to see some consistency.

Myles yes, Bird no. Myles always looks like he's just going through the motions. He needs to harden up and run hard.

teke
08-07-14, 11:49 AM
Such a terrible game of footy last night, it's up there with one of the worst I have seen this yr

TITAN PETE
08-07-14, 11:50 AM
ZILLMAN : 'WE KNEW WE HAD THEM'

GOLD Coast fullback William Zillman said he knew South Sydney were Rabbits in the headlights when they opted to take penalty goals at ANZ Stadium.

The Titans ended a six-match losing streak when they shocked the bunnies 14-10 in a penalty-strewn Monday Night Football encounter.

“They’re such a big squad, they just roll over the top of teams,” Zillman says.

“So when they were taking penalty goals, we knew that our defence was on-song and they didn’t really back themselves.

“It’s a positive sign.”

coach John Cartwright some refereeing decisions left him scratching his head, including one involving Zillman.

“You worry about the consistency – when they pull the penalties out and how they pull them out’,” he says.

“The toughest one was when Zilly came off with a head bin and they didn’t give us time to make the change.

“We defended with 12 men, I’m pretty sure they have to give you time to at last get your man out on the field.

“It was a super win but it was great to see the confidence come back into the players.”

- STEVE MASCORD

- - - Updated - - -

Almost pissed myself when i read the headline :laugh:

DIEHARD
08-07-14, 11:57 AM
It was great to win and the better team won. But Souths were disgraceful.

Titans defence was marvellous and I was impressed with many of our boys.

indoallstars
08-07-14, 12:13 PM
Quote from the NRL Power Rankings: Round 17

13. Titans (13)

David Mead wants to play fullback. David Mead plays well at fullback. The Titans actually look more dangerous than the common household doorstop when David Mead plays at fullback. So with all due respect to Will Zillman, who was another of the few bright spots in the Titans' upset win over the Rabbitohs, why doesn't David Mead play fullback? And on Monday's bunny boilover, when you haven't won since the Anzac Day weekend you can't be picky, but aside from some desperate goal line defence, there was very little to write home about.

- - - Updated - - -

Couldn't have said it better myself

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.nrl.com/power-rankings-round-17/tabid/10874/newsid/80038/default.aspx

Tamwelg
08-07-14, 12:27 PM
indoallstars

I liked that quote some much, I've used part of it as my sig.

Titanic
08-07-14, 02:20 PM
Do you think the Mead try (which I though was one of our best backline movement in a long time) would have been scored with Bird there on the left? Bird has been one of our best players over the past few years, but does he get too much ball and shut down some back line movement, and is that him demanding it or Sezer feeding him.
I have long argued that Bird gets too much ball on the left side and chokes the attack … Blair has repeatedly shown how to direct Sezer and overcall Bird so Blair to left centre … in fact if you take Gould's comments from Origin as fair then he also stifles the NSW attack by getting too much ball too at 13. In my opinion he should be our lock but I could do without him and use Carter there … freeing-up a lot of our cap.

On Myles, I have also argued that he is a back row and he hides in prop, ambling-up to the defence and uses that as an excuse not to increase the work rate he would have to produce as a back row … I would happily lose him too.

In summary big reputations in non-key positions cost our team. The successful teams spend big on 9, 7, 6 and 1 (although I feel we only really need a 9 if Mead is 1; check the PNG Hunters guy out) or on game-breaking talent like, dare I say it, Taylor but not workhorses. Stack the pack with youth and enthusiasm; stack the backs with speed and commitment, and; stack the spine with quality … that would do me … and we have that minus Cartwright's dinosaurs

Titanic Believer
08-07-14, 04:28 PM

Zilly has played a few better games but it's so long since you saw one you may have forgotten. Credit where credit is due though.

We are in a paradoxical situation. We all want to see us win especially after a great, though not too polished, effort but if we do win it could let Carty off the hook. Still his overall mediocre record remains. Until we win seven straight and give the premiership a shove, and that's not going to happen, there is no reason for Carty to continue.

john cartwrong
08-07-14, 05:56 PM
Apart from xillman.... this is a 13 cartwright would almost never start with.

On that basis my prediction is we will win and half the side will get dropped for our defeat against canberra.

This. Plus what all the guys have said above.

Kelly and mortimer played well for 60 mins. They should be the halves.

Bird and myles are a year past sell by. Stifle attack and ball movement.

Mead was great.

So logic says.... lets go back to the exact team that lost the last 6....

Holy mother of god.