PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Bai has NRL premiership ring returned

DIEHARD
18-06-14, 12:43 PM
Marcus Bai has NRL premiership ring returned

FORMER Melbourne Storm flyer Marcus Bai will have the chance to pass his prized premiership ring down to his children after the stolen piece of memorabilia was returned.

Gold Coast-based Bai was yesterday reunited with the premiership ring he won while playing on the wing for the Storm in 1999.

It was stolen from the Papua New Guinea international’s Burleigh Waters home seven years ago. But late last year it was sold to a Cash Converters store in Moonee Ponds, Victoria.

Staff noticed the ring’s unique appearance and contacted police, much to the relief of Bai who admitted he had all but given up on its return.

“I worked so hard to get it back and to be honest I had given up,” Bai said.

“It is not just a ring, it meant so much more to me than that.”

Former Melbourne Storm player Marcus Bai with three-year-old son Logan Bai. Picture Mike
Former Melbourne Storm player Marcus Bai with three-year-old son Logan Bai. Picture Mike Batterham Source: News Limited
Despite showing some wear and tear, Bai hopes the ring can become a family heirloom to symbolise the start of his new life in Australia.

“The ring is something I hope to give to my children and pass it down to their children,” Bai said.

“Rugby league gave me a life. And these rings represent that.”

Bai’s success in the elite Australian competition made him a cult hero in his own country.

Hailing from a small village near Bialla, PNG, Bai said winning the grand final was special because he had weight of a nation on his shoulders.

“I had seven million people from the Prime Minister all the way down to grassroots level telling me they were proud of me, win or lose,” Bai said.

“They didn’t realise how much pressure they had put on me.

“Us Papua New Guineans are crazy about rugby league and when they say they don’t care win or lose I never believe that. It was always you better win.

“So that ring meant so much to not only me but my brothers and sisters, aunties and uncles, my mum’s clan and my dad’s clan. To lose it was devastating.”

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/nrl/

Titanic
18-06-14, 12:57 PM
Great story … I introduced him to Paul Broughton at the Chargers at the height of Super League … why they couldn't keep him still astounds me.

DIEHARD
18-06-14, 02:04 PM
Great story … I introduced him to Paul Broughton at the Chargers at the height of Super League … why they couldn't keep him still astounds me.

Wow that's great.

Bai was a great player and a very popular Chargers and Storm player.

I am very happy to see his ring return.

I had to laugh when the story mentioned old Stash Converters.