PDA

View Full Version : Round 15: TITANS vs DRAGONS

DIEHARD
17-06-14, 03:18 AM
TITANS vs DRAGONS
Round 15, Sunday 22 June, 3:00 PM (local), Cbus Super Stadium

TITAN PETE
17-06-14, 07:07 AM
What a crowd this match should pull 12th v 13th which is about the highest spot on the ladder we could hope for this season ..

A loss here should see a new coach in charge immediately but that would only happen @ one of the 15 other clubs in the comp

lonegull
17-06-14, 07:09 AM
The only thing that excites me for this game is that I am making the 1000km car trip and attending with my family

ozynorts
17-06-14, 09:39 AM
This could be the "game" to end it all. If we lose to them the board surely can't ignore the calls for any longer.

DIEHARD
17-06-14, 05:05 PM
Rd 15 Team Announcement
Tue 17th June, 01:37PM

The iSelect Titans have announced very much a provisional side for Sunday’s clash with the Dragons at Cbus Super Stadium, coming off a Monday night clash and with three players involved in tomorrow night’s State of Origin clash.

Coach John Cartwright has listed 19 players but has mooted that there could be several changes with fitness of players to be checked and further analysis of last night’s clash with the Storm and new signing Daniel Mortimer joining the squad tomorrow.

The provisional squad v Dragons, round 15:

1 - William Zillman (capt)

2 – Kevin Gordon

3 – Brad Tighe

4 – James Roberts

5 – David Mead

6 – Brad Takairangi

7 - Maurice Blair

8 - Luke Bailey

9 – Beau Falloon

10 – Luke Douglas

11 – Greg Bird (capt)

12 – Mark Minichiello

13 – Ashley Harrison

INTERCHANGE

14 – Matthew White

15 – Caleb Binge

16 – Ben Ridge

17 – Matt Srama

18 – David Taylor

19 – Nate Myles (capt)

The Holden Cup to be announced later in the day.

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

Hail Sezer
17-06-14, 05:10 PM
I think we will see:

1 - William Zillman

2 – Kevin Gordon

3 – Brad Tighe

4 – James Roberts

5 – David Mead

6 – Maurice Blair

7 - Daniel Mortimer

8 - Nate Myles (capt)

9 – Beau Falloon

10 – Luke Douglas

11 – Greg Bird (capt)

12 – Dave Taylor

13 – Ashley Harrison

INTERCHANGE

14 – Matthew White

15 – Luke Bailey

16 – Mark Minichiello

17 – Matt Srama

Backing them all to back up from Origin

ozynorts
17-06-14, 05:49 PM
This was the first line of the email today.
"The iSelect Gold Coast Titans take on the St George Illawarra Dragons in an epic blockbuster at Cbus Super Stadium this Sunday"
Epic blockbuster!!!!!!!!!!! ooohhhhhhhhh. These marketing people get paid for this rubbish.

teke
17-06-14, 06:10 PM
Taka is the perfect utility for this team.

Piss the extra hooker off

Jonathonbcode
17-06-14, 06:48 PM
Mead is thinking about leaving the clue due to not being allowed to play FB.

So many face palms towards the Titans hierarchy

DIEHARD
17-06-14, 07:46 PM
Epic. Blockbuster. ****. Seriously. Who the **** writes garbage like that. And treats Titans Members like fools. Such a gross and offensive abuse of the English language.

TITAN PETE
17-06-14, 08:13 PM
Taka is the perfect utility for this team.

Piss the extra hooker off

I think Srama needs to be sent back to Q Cup for the time being

Blade07
17-06-14, 09:48 PM
1.zillman
2.mead
3.roberts
4.tighe
5.gordon
6.blair
7.mortimer
8.myles
9.srama
10.douglas
11.taylor
12.bird
13.harrison
14.bailey
15.binge
16.white
17.takaraingi
18.faloon
19.minichello

Bayside Titan
17-06-14, 09:49 PM
I think Srama needs to be sent back to Q Cup for the time being

Agree. He needs to bulk up abit. As soon as he gets on the field all the big boppers run at him.

Leeroy
17-06-14, 10:10 PM
Might take a trip down to Piggabean to see Tweed v Burleigh instead. I think it should be a good contest down there.

DIEHARD
17-06-14, 10:20 PM
I just can't believe I have to suffer another week not enjoying Anthony Don.

teke
17-06-14, 10:25 PM
I just can't believe I have to suffer another week not enjoying Anthony Don.thats a bit elton johnish :D

Blade07
17-06-14, 10:28 PM
Maybe don in for gordon?

teke
17-06-14, 10:48 PM
Maybe don in for gordon?Don been safe and all that but kevs got him covered even with a dodgey knee.

TITAN FAN
18-06-14, 01:17 PM
Falloon looked sharp against the Storm
The rotation with Falloon starting and Carter off the bench is a better option, Carter a gun defender and plays other positions
The big units ran straight at Srama making plenty of metres through the middle

To string a few wins Mead needs to be at fullback

DIEHARD
18-06-14, 02:08 PM
Titans anxious to see if Taylor plays

The Titans' finals aspirations may hinge on the whim of Maroons coach Mal Meninga with Gold Coast coach John Cartwright admitting that he will be disappointed if Dave Taylor doesn't take the field in Game Two on Wednesday night.

The Storm were the beneficiaries of Will Chambers being released from the Maroons squad to score two tries in their 24-20 win at Cbus Super Stadium on Monday night while the Titans battled on gamely without the services of Taylor, Nate Myles and Greg Bird.

With so much conjecture surrounding the ability of Daly Cherry-Evans's left knee standing up to the rigours of a potentially Series-deciding Origin encounter, there remains the possibility of Meninga naming Ben Hunt on the bench in case of emergency.

That would almost certainly squeeze Taylor out of the 17 and delay his Origin recall for a further three weeks at least and leave a desperate Titans outfit wondering how much of a difference he could have made for his club on Monday as their losing streak was extended to five games.

"I hadn't even thought of that one, it would be a little bit disappointing," Cartwright said when the possibility of Hunt coming onto the bench in place of Taylor was put to him.

"I understand the position they're in and depending on who is available sometimes you have to make some last-minute decisions but it's certainly something we as a club would be disappointed in if Dave didn't take the field on Wednesday night."

After coming up with two classy pieces of play for tries against the Titans, Chambers suffered a severe cut just below his left knee but was able to finish the game, his inclusion a very welcome one for Storm coach Craig Bellamy.

"Every now and again you've got to shake him a little bit," said Bellamy when asked of Chambers' attitude when he rejoined his Storm team-mates on Sunday afternoon."He's still got his head in camp a little bit but when he came into camp with us we just gave him what we needed from him and he goes out there and does it.

"We probably didn't get the ball to him as much as we would have liked [against the Titans] but that try he scored was pretty easy in the end, he's a very talented player.

"I'm glad for me as a Storm person that he's going to play with us but I'd love to see him play Origin too," Bellamy added.

"He's been into three or four camps now and he's always been the 18th or 19th player so I can imagine he's probably a little bit frustrated – he doesn't admit to that or doesn't say that because I know he loves being in the camps. All of us at the club would love to see him play in an Origin game, number one because I think he deserves it.

"He's a very talented player and he's very committed to playing his footy and he loves that idea of playing Origin so I feel for him in that he's not quite there yet but I'm sure if he keeps playing well for us it won't be too long.

"He's a really good teammate and a really good player for us."

http://www.nrl.com/

DIEHARD
18-06-14, 02:10 PM
Mortimer joins titanic rescue mission

The Titans have thrown an NRL career lifeline to Roosters utility Daniel Mortimer in a bid to rescue their own season with the 2013 premiership winner lured to the Gold Coast by the opportunity to play in the halves on a permanent basis.

That opportunity could come as early as Sunday when the Titans host the Dragons at Cbus Super Stadium desperately trying to revive a season that has stalled under the weight of long-term injuries to halves Aidan Sezer and Beau Henry and continued uncertainty surrounding the immediate playing future of Albert Kelly.

The Titans named a provisional team on Tuesday afternoon with Brad Takairangi at five-eighth and Maurice Blair at halfback but coach John Cartwright said that he won't be afraid to throw Mortimer straight into the mix and that his new teammates may be the ones who have to make the greatest adjustment.

"If he does come into the side you've just got to build your game to suit him," said Cartwright as the Titans try to break a five-game losing streak. "Your six and your seven are your generals so we'll have a fullback, a hooker and a half who have pretty much been there from day one training-wise. Having said that, it would be a big ask to come in and do that role but it's been done in the past and we'll train through the week with a few combinations and make a decision later in the week."

In a message to Roosters members on the club's website, Mortimer spoke about the difficulty of the decision to leave the defending premiers after three seasons as well as firing a good natured shot across the bow to his now former club.

"I've had the chance to see the boys in person and the coach today, it was a very sad goodbye, but I just want to say thank you very much for the time I've had here," said Mortimer, who has played 91 NRL games across six seasons and will be at the Titans until at least the end of the 2016 season.

"It's been a great three years, I'll never forget last year for as long as I live, it's something that we'll all have in common. It's been amazing and I look forward to seeing you all in Round 22 back here (Allianz Stadium) hopefully tearing it up for the Titans."

When Scott Prince made his shock departure at the end of the 2012 season to join the Broncos, the Titans went knocking on Mortimer's door. Incoming Roosters coach Trent Robinson convinced him to stay at Bondi but reluctantly let him go on Tuesday for the sake of his career.

“On the very first day I met Daniel when I returned to the club, I asked him to stay, and it speaks volumes of the type of man he is that he did, when he had other opportunities available to him," Robinson said.

“Daniel typifies the type of player we’ve been trying to build our team around, and while it’s sad to see him go, I’m excited to see him pursue a more regular opportunity in the halves.

“Popular among his teammates and a valued contributor both on and off the field, the Roosters are certainly far better for the service Daniel has given our club. It has been an honour to coach him and he’ll always have many friends here at the Roosters."

Those closing words in particular will be music to the ears of Cartwright who concedes that the electrifying Kelly is now a "week to week" proposition as he battles ongoing soreness in his left leg.

"There are concerns there because the break in the leg has actually healed but there's still a lot of pain and he can't put a lot of weight on it," Cartwright said of Kelly's recovery from a fracture in his leg suffered in Round 8.

"As soon as he can put weight on the leg and put full weeks of training in he'll be available for selection again but that's not going to happen this week and it's probably a week to week thing now.

"We actually enquired about [Mortimer] before last season. He was on contract with the Roosters but we knew he was really keen to play in the halves and that coincided with 'Princey' going to the Broncos and we'd signed Albert pretty much on spec.

"The fact that he wanted to play halfback and he had some family ties up here, the club was very attractive to him and probably overnight it became a little bit more important when we lost Beau Henry, who'll be out for a period of time as well.

"The process has been a fairly long one but losing Aidan for 12 weeks sped the process up a bit and then overnight it became pretty important that we added a bit of depth there.

"When you can add someone of that quality to your squad, especially at this time of year with the injuries we've had in that position it's certainly a bonus for us."

Mortimer first shot to prominence when he played a key role playing five-eighth in Parramatta's charge to the 2009 Grand Final against Melbourne and then last year played in every game for the champion Roosters, starting just once when five-eighth James Maloney was on State of Origin duty.

Having turned 25 on June 13 and with bloodlines as famous as any in rugby league, the Titans can be confident that his best football is very much still ahead of him.

Smakked
18-06-14, 03:07 PM
SO what has Don done to upset the heads for this team?
Maybe he approached the coach and said i think we should get the ball to Mead more, or we should keep Mead out the back.

Geeman
18-06-14, 05:11 PM
Does anyone know if Mortimer is a goal-kicker?

Hail Sezer
18-06-14, 05:33 PM
Maybe he approached the coach and said i think we should get the ball to Mead more, or we should keep Mead out the back.

Doesn't help that Carty is best mates with Zillman's old man. Not even kidding.

Mexican titan
18-06-14, 05:44 PM
Does anyone know if Mortimer is a goal-kicker?

He has kicked 7 goals for the Roosters in the NRL at 64% and 31 goals for Parra at 70% in the NSW Cup. He did kick 4 goals from 4 attempts in an NRL game v Souths and the other two games were 2 from 4 and 1 from 3.
To answer your question - he does kick goals but at NRL level he hasn't had enough shots to get a reliable stat. I'm not sure whether 70% success rate that he has in the NSW Cup is good. What % do good kickers have. All I know is that Kevvy Gordon looks very hit and miss, not that we score very often to give him a chance.

teke
18-06-14, 05:45 PM
Doesn't help that Carty is best mates with Zillman's old man. Not even kidding.ummm what ?

Hail Sezer
18-06-14, 06:43 PM
ummm what ?
100% true. Explains a lot

Geeman
18-06-14, 07:37 PM
He has kicked 7 goals for the Roosters in the NRL at 64% and 31 goals for Parra at 70% in the NSW Cup. He did kick 4 goals from 4 attempts in an NRL game v Souths and the other two games were 2 from 4 and 1 from 3.
To answer your question - he does kick goals but at NRL level he hasn't had enough shots to get a reliable stat. I'm not sure whether 70% success rate that he has in the NSW Cup is good. What % do good kickers have. All I know is that Kevvy Gordon looks very hit and miss, not that we score very often to give him a chance.

Thanks, I only ask because as you said, Kevvy doesn't seem confident. Found a few stats online, and I would say anything around 75% is good. Thurston and Michael Godon have career pecentages of just below 80%, and I would happily have them kicking for us.

DavidBouveng
18-06-14, 07:44 PM
Doesn't help that Carty is best mates with Zillman's old man. Not even kidding.

well soon all three can sit back and watch the titans play after zilly turns out for Burleigh....or Southport Tigers even.

TITAN PETE
18-06-14, 07:55 PM
100% true. Explains a lot

That is true but what else is true is that the same man doesn't believe our current fullback should be fullback ahead of Mead..

Bayside Titan
18-06-14, 08:01 PM
Don may have given Carty a frank appraisal of his coaching style. ;-)

DavidBouveng
18-06-14, 08:16 PM
That is true but what else is true is that the same man doesn't believe our current fullback should be fullback ahead of Mead..

you mean zils dad thinks meads better at FB?

Bayside Titan
18-06-14, 09:07 PM
well soon all three can sit back and watch the titans play after zilly turns out for Burleigh....or Southport Tigers even.

What do you know that we don't???!

TITAN PETE
19-06-14, 08:41 AM
After last night i would be confident in saying DT will be playing on Sunday & he will have a blinder after his very average effort Origin 2

lonegull
19-06-14, 12:47 PM
What time do the gates open for this game?

teke
19-06-14, 01:07 PM
After last night i would be confident in saying DT will be playing on Sunday & he will have a blinder after his very average effort Origin 2he did about as much as he could getting chucked into the game late.

TITAN PETE
19-06-14, 01:17 PM
he did about as much as he could getting chucked into the game late.

His only Pass for the night will be on the Highlights real for years to come

Smakked
19-06-14, 02:51 PM
If DT , GB and NM back up i think we might get this one but only just , dragons have no pack

teke
19-06-14, 03:01 PM
His only Pass for the night will be on the Highlights real for years to comethat pass was nothing, one of a number of qld errors, he should have went to the wing instead of nuffie McQueen who blew a try by not standing behind his centre in the corner

teke
19-06-14, 09:10 PM
Did Tighe really get dusted to q cup for missing the chambers tackle?

Bayside Titan
19-06-14, 09:30 PM
Did Tighe really get dusted to q cup for missing the chambers tackle?

Sounds like it on Twitter. Zilly should be with him then.

Tamwelg
19-06-14, 10:55 PM
@paddykilmurray: Taka training at left centre. Looks like Brad Tighe has been dropped. He missed a crucial tackle on Chambers on Monday

Blade07
19-06-14, 11:11 PM
At least roberts has kept his spot in the team

Titanic
20-06-14, 11:03 AM
If McQueen had been where he should have been Taylor would have put him away … Meninga is the Qld Cartwright. If The is dropped for that miss then Bailey, Harrison, Zillman and Minichiello should join him … talk about favourites.

DIEHARD
20-06-14, 12:48 PM
We should have this. What are we on, a 5 game losing streak?

DIEHARD
20-06-14, 01:09 PM
GOLD COAST TITANS v ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS
Cbus Super Stadium, Sunday 3.00pm

Michael Chammas: The Titans will be sweating on new recruit Daniel Mortimer making a seamless transition into the halves. Despite not being named, Mortimer is expected to line up for the first time for his new team having signed a contract until the end of 2016 this week. The Dragons have improved since Paul McGregor took over as coach, but will still need a better performance if they are to win their first away game since round three.

Tip: Dragons by 6

TITANS: William Zillman (capt), Kevin Gordon, Brad Tighe, James Roberts, David Mead, Brad Takairangi, Maurice Blair, Luke Bailey, Beau Falloon, Luke Douglas, Greg Bird (capt), Mark Minichiello, Ashley Harrison. Interchange: Matthew White, Caleb Binge, Ben Ridge, Matt Srama, David Taylor, Nate Myles (capt) (two to be omitted).

DRAGONS: Adam Quinlan, Charly Runciman, Josh Dugan, Gerard Beale, Jason Nightingale, Gareth Widdop, Benji Marshall, Ben Creagh (capt), Mitch Rein, Mike Cooper, Leeson Ah Mau, Joel Thompson, Trent Merrin. Interchange: Jack de Belin, Will Matthews, Shane Pumipi, Bronson Harrison.

Referees: Gerard Sutton, Gavin Badger

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/

DIEHARD
20-06-14, 01:10 PM
St George-Illawarra expect Titans ambush on Gold Coast

Dragons back-rower Joel Thompson says his side cannot finesse their way to a finals berth as they prepare for an all-out scrap with the Gold Coast on Sunday.

Early season leaders the Titans enter the match on the back of five straight losses but, with a pack boasting the likes of Origin hard men Nate Myles and Greg Bird plus 120kg behemoth Dave Taylor, are renowned for leaving other teams bruised.

Thompson, who produced perhaps his best performance at the the club in the 18-14 loss to Penrith last week, is wary of a Titans ambush.

"It's a tough road trip and people who think it's not going be tough are kidding themselves," he said.

"Every team's tough in the NRL and it's not going to be any different with the Titans.

"You could say they're a world class pack and as a forward I look forward to the challenge of taking on a pack like that.

"It'll be all about rolling the sleeves up and getting ready for a war because they've got some big boys up there. We forwards will probably take a bashing but that's what we need to do for the team."

The Dragons pack has been no stranger to bashings on and off the field this season - they bore the brunt of criticism for a stretch that's seen them win two of their last 10 matches but Thompson refuted suggestions that they lack hunger.

"We've had a tough year so far, but it's not from a lack of trying," he said.

"The forwards were getting sprayed. We were copping it but we're putting in.

"We're trying hard and working hard for each other.

"It does get frustrating but it's a proud club and we need to get results. It's definitely not from a lack of trying so hopefully we can keep improving each week and start pulling in those wins."

After spending much of the preseason exclusively shadowing Gareth Widdop on the left, Thompson spent much of the year filling in at centre or back-row on the right due to injuries line-up reshuffles.

He's returned to his favoured left edge and produced a team high 15 hit-ups against the Panthers as the Dragons lost a tight one.

"I'm a left back-rower and I always have been," Thompson said.

"I've filled in different positions because of injury and other things but it's good to be back in that position and doing the things I do best."

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/

5 Year Contract
20-06-14, 02:19 PM
that pass was nothing, one of a number of qld errors, he should have went to the wing instead of nuffie McQueen who blew a try by not standing behind his centre in the corner

Agreed DT did all that was asked of him. Made tackles, ran hard and yes McQueen should of been in position so you cant heap too much blame on him. That said hoping he continues this form all weekend. As for this week like always ill hope for the best but expect the worse. I'll also continue to wish that zilly gets Nancy Kerrigan'd before the game as per usual

DIEHARD
20-06-14, 02:31 PM
Titans v Dragons
Cbus Super Stadium Sunday, 3pm

Two teams converge mid-season and I, I took the team less troubled by... injuries and suspension.

With apologies to poet Robert Frost for the desecration of his fine work, the meeting of the Titans and Dragons at Cbus Super Stadium on Sunday shapes as the clash that may very well define their respective seasons.

Gold Coast added to their five-game losing streak with a brave but ultimately futile loss to the Storm on Monday night while the Dragons delivered an improved showing in going down to the table-topping Panthers having launched a new season of 'The Benji Show' in their 30-0 smash-up of the Sharks a week prior.

It was a fortnight that kept the Dragons' slim finals hopes alive under new coach Paul McGregor but with games against the Storm, Cowboys and Sea Eagles over the next month, anything but a win on the Gold Coast will spell the end of their season.

There appear to be no second chances for the Titans given the statements that were made by the coach and senior players in the wake of Monday night's four-point loss to the Storm. After a 5-1 start to the season their mid-year haemorrhaging continues and unless they can arrest the slide on Sunday, their finals chances will be placed on life support and left to the number crunchers.

Decimated by injuries, suspension and Origin commitments against the Storm, the Titans welcome back Greg Bird, Nate Myles and Dave Taylor while Daniel Mortimer could be a shock inclusion at halfback after completing a mid-week transfer from the Roosters to the Titans that will see him on the Gold Coast until at least the end of the 2016 season.

The performance of James Roberts in his Titans debut against the Storm added some penetration to an attack that has found finding their way through defensive lines confounding and a long-term combination with Taylor on the Titans' right edge is a mouth-watering prospect for the future.

The Dragons are also getting to know a mid-year addition with Benji Marshall developing in his role at halfback and finding the right balance with five-eighth Gareth Widdop, who set the competition alight over the first month.

Widdop was perhaps guilty of going back into his shell in Marshall's second outing in his second coming with the former Kiwi captain dominating possessions by 2-1 against the Rabbitohs, a share that has balanced up to virtually 50-50 in the past two weeks.

Both teams have ridden the rugby league roller-coaster already in 2014; the loser of Sunday's clash could find themselves on a downhill road to nowhere.

Watch Out Titans: There's nothing a confidence player loves more than scoring tries and being invited back into the inner sanctum of rugby league's pinnacle event and Josh Dugan has gone from under-performing fullback to State of Origin centre in the space of a month. A player who thrives on the big occasion, Dugan's late start to the 2014 season seemed to not only trouble his injured knee but also his confidence. However a shift to the centres under McGregor's stewardship seems to have ignited something within him. His hat-trick against the Sharks put him back into the Origin frame with two line-breaks, four tackle-breaks and two offloads from just 17 possessions.

Watch Out Dragons: Perhaps so much should not be expected of one so young but in his first NRL game since he scored a double for Penrith in Round 20 last season, 21-year-old James Roberts showed Titans fans on Monday night just why the club was prepared to take a punt on him. Sacked by two NRL clubs previously, Roberts possesses blistering speed and under-rated power and looked the man most likely to create something out of nothing against the Storm. He got his first touch in the third minute, scored a try in the 57th minute that gave his side the lead, made six tackle breaks and will be a magnet for attacking opportunities from now on. The loss of Beau Henry in the eighth minute against Melbourne meant that there was no recognised half on Roberts' side of the field and chances were limited; the Dragons won't be so fortunate.

Plays To Watch: With Albert Kelly no chance of playing and Daniel Mortimer's inclusion dependent on how quickly he can be sized up for the No.7 jersey, Maurice Blair will once again shoulder much of the kicking responsibility having proved against the Storm that he possesses a dangerous left boot close to the line. Both of the Titans' first two tries came from Blair grubber kicks close to the line, a tactic that can be almost indefensible given the unpredictability of a bouncing Steeden. With Widdop and now Marshall as pivot points the Dragons are capable of executing intricate set pieces on both sides of the ruck, often stretching the defence from one side to the other. Watch for Mitch Rein to pop out of dummy-half on a run-around move to give Widdop in particular an overlap on the left edge.

Where It Will Be Won: Execution of last play options will be vital to two teams whose ability to score points is better only than cellar-dwellers Newcastle and Cronulla and who rank in the bottom five teams for line break assists (Titans 16th, Dragons 12th). With Widdop and Marshall at their disposal it's an area in which the Dragons should feel confident but it remains obvious that Marshall's transition back into the NRL is far from complete. The Dragons have forced their opposition into three more line dropouts than the Titans thus far in 2014 (20 to 17) and will need that area of their game to be spot-on to break down a resilient Titans defence.

The History: Played 12; Titans 4, Dragons 8. Mathematicians fond of numerical patterns will already know that for the past eight clashes between these teams dating back to Round 2, 2009, neither side has been able to string consecutive wins together. And given the Titans' 15-14 win in Round 9, 2013, Dragons fans on the Gold Coast can get to Cbus Super Stadium feeling good about their side's chances. Titans supporters need not be too disheartened; eight of the past 12 matches played between the Titans and Dragons have been decided by seven points or less.

What Are The Odds: Four times the money placed on the Dragons with Sportsbet.com.au in this one and they’ve come in to $2.20 as a result. Titans were $1.51 out to $1.68 following their loss to Melbourne on Monday night. Not a big betting game at this stage.

Match Officials: Referee: Gerard Sutton; Assistant Referee: Gavin Badger; Touch Judges: Nick Beashel and Jeff Younis; Video Referees: Ashley Klein and Ben Galea.

Televised: Channel Nine – Delayed 4pm.

The Way We See It: Desperate times call for desperate measures but this game shapes as more of a battle of who blinks first. Now that we are in the back-half of the season it is tempting to start chasing not only tries and goals but competition points with adventurous tactics that invariably come with low percentage success rates. It's the type of situation tailor made for a 'Coal Train' or Benji flash of brilliance but the coolness of their team's five-eighths shapes as the real key. Given the class of Widdop and influence of Dugan, the Dragons look to possess the necessary temperament in their time of need. Dragons by six points.

nrl.com

DIEHARD
21-06-14, 10:06 PM
Veterans vow to fight on

Their respective premiership windows inch further shut with every week that passes but Titans veterans Mark Minichiello and Luke Bailey have vowed to drag their team out of their current five-game losing streak, starting with a win over the Dragons on Sunday.

Yet to negotiate contracts at the Titans or elsewhere for 2015 and beyond, the frustration that Gold Coast have let slip a wonderful start to 2014 is evident in speaking to both Minichiello and Bailey, the two most capped players in Titans history.

Minichiello – who missed a key tackle on Jesse Bromwich in Monday night's loss to the Storm – will play game No.163 of a career that will reach the 250-game milestone in Round 17 while Bailey's Titans total currently sits at 142 from 261 career games.

Both men recognise the importance of Sunday's clash with St George Illawarra at Cbus Super Stadium, with Minichiello describing it as the club's most important game of the season.

"It's probably the most important game of the year," Minichiello told NRL.com. "Leading into a bye, that's four points, it's just a must-win. If we don't win that we could be really struggling.

"I've been playing a long time now and I've gone through this before, I had a few tough years at Souths and here at the Titans as well. We went through a rough patch but I just know that if we keep working hard we'll come out the other side.

"We've got good enough players and good enough people around here to come out of this and I still believe that we'll be playing semi-final football. We've just got to knuckle down and get through this tough period and I still believe we're a good enough team to win the comp."

While team-mates insist Bailey could play on for another year or even two, the 15-season veteran admitted that losing five games on the trot does give him cause to stop and reflect on whether he is still the right man for the job.

"It does play with your mind. When you think you're losing again... 'Do they need a fresh face? Do they need someone there?'" Bailey said.

"But I feel I'm playing some decent footy. I thought last week was one of my better games that I've played for a while and I just want to get this team out of this little rut that we're in. We've got the guys coming back [from Origin] so it's a good week to start."

New recruit Daniel Mortimer appears set to be thrust into the halfback position to oppose Benji Marshall just days after joining the club and less than one week after another mid-season signing, electric centre James Roberts, made his club debut.

The introduction of a new playmaker so late in the season could potentially further disrupt a Titans backline that has struggled to make regular incisions in opposition defences but Bailey said the playing group has discussed how to handle this difficult period.

"I think everyone's got to concentrate on doing their own thing and worry about their own job," he said.

"You can't be worrying about who's in the team and who's not and what's going on outside the team, you've just got to worry about doing your job. That's something we've talked about over the last couple of weeks; it's pretty important that everyone knows their job and does it to the best of their ability.

"I thought last week [against Melbourne] was a good stepping stone. Even though we lost and we should have won for me it was a game in the right direction and getting back to where we want to be and everyone was doing their job.

"Even with the stars coming back this week everyone's still got to lift another five or 10 per cent and I think we can get a win over the Saints on Sunday."

DIEHARD
22-06-14, 01:04 AM
Mortimer straight in for Titans

Daniel Mortimer will be rushed straight into Gold Coast's lineup to take on St George Illawarra, less than a week after joining the NRL club.

Mortimer, granted an early release from the Sydney Roosters on Tuesday, will make his club debut on Sunday at halfback as the Titans battle a halves crisis.

With Albert Kelly (calf), Aidan Sezer (pectoral) and Beau Henry (knee) all ruled out, Titans coach John Cartwright had little option but to opt for the 25-year-old against the Dragons.

With the Titans' season slipping away after five straight defeats, Cartwright says he's confident Mortimer, a premiership winner last year with the Roosters, will cope with his immediate inclusion.

"He's slotted in very well. We brought him here to supply pressure in the halves and, in fact, play in the halves," he said.

"We've got two injuries there over the last couple of weeks with Aidan and Beau Henry out in the medium-to-long term.

"We bought him to play first grade and he's played enough of it to be able to handle going straight in."

Mortimer will partner Maurice Blair in the halves alongside Dragons pair Gareth Widdop and Benji Marshall, himself a mid-season recruit.

The Titans' State of Origin representatives, Nate Myles, Greg Bird and Dave Taylor will also back up following Wednesday's game two in Sydney.

"They know the importance of the game to the club and they're going to be out there," Cartwright said.

"We'll have to tape them up and maybe have to needle them up to get them out there but they wouldn't have it any other way."

The Dragons' Origin representative Josh Dugan will return to their line up.

DIEHARD
22-06-14, 01:09 AM
Sportsbet

TITANS $1.65
DRAGONS $2.30

DIEHARD
22-06-14, 02:30 AM
St George Illawarra Dragons coach Paul McGregor keeps eyes firmly on the ball

Dragons coach Paul McGregor has vowed to keep "working hard" and not be sidetracked by the uncertainty surrounding St George Illawarra's long-term coaching position.

The club has thrown open the search for its next mentor – the likes of Wayne Bennett, Neil Henry, Laurie Daley and Nathan Brown are under consideration.

McGregor too could loom as a genuine option if the Dragons continue to improve. He was thrown into the role following the sacking of Steve Price last month.

Three games into his head coaching career, McGregor remains uncertain if he wants to be a long-term coach.

"I'll tell you at the end of the year," he said. "It all depends on who the club wants. At the end of the day, the decision isn't going to be made by me. All I can do is what's best for this football club and that's work hard.

"I'm working hard on what I can control and I don't worry about things that I can't. All I can worry about the playing group that I've got and making us all responsible for our roles."

The Dragons play the Gold Coast on Sunday, and McGregor is chasing his second win. The coach was pleased with his side's last start loss to Penrith but said it needed to replicate that performance.

"The team is getting rewarded with some of the efforts they are putting in," McGregor said.

"By no means are we the side we need to be. If you look at the stats – and stats aren't everything – but the past three weeks compared to the first 11 games, we have certainly improved.

"When you look at the improvement, you don't look for one thing. We've been working in simplifying things to make the result favourable at the end of the game. We have to do it every week. That's the challenge."

The Dragons will welcome back Trent Merrin and Josh Dugan from Origin duty after the pair completed training at Jubilee Oval on Saturday.

McGregor cut short his own Origin celebrations as part of the NSW coaching staff to be at Dragons training early on Thursday. He had an emotional embrace with Dugan on the sideline just moments after the Blues' record-ending win. "He thanked me," McGregor said. "And I just told him don't worry ... and that he played against one of the best players of the decade [Greg Inglis] in the biggest environment and he handled it well. It's a credit to him. It's not easy to change position in a matter of a fortnight and play against one of the best players in the world and handle it better than OK."

The Titans are expected to rush new recruit Daniel Mortimer into the halves after Mortimer signed mid-week from the Roosters at Cbus Super Stadium on Sunday. "They have a wealth of experience in their forward pack," McGregor said. "Their halves are different each week because of injuries, which is always a challenge for a coach. Mortimer will strengthen them. We've got to manage their middle."

http://www.yasstribune.com.au/

TITAN PETE
22-06-14, 08:17 AM
Game Day & it's a Beautiful morning here on the Gold Coast expecting a nice 20deg perfect for Sunday Arvo Footy... Everything is crossed for an expected Titans Victory :fist:

TITAN PETE
22-06-14, 08:29 AM
White registers ton of courage
By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent
NRL.com
6:00am Sun 22nd June, 2014

You could tell Matthew White wasn't quite himself as soon as he stepped onto the field in Round 1.

Coming off the bench as he has done in all 11 appearances thus far in 2014, the no-frills front-rower passed the ball five times and made three tackle-breaks, representing a year of nervous energy being released having undergone a knee reconstruction 12 months earlier.

What, those numbers don't strike you as someone determined to prove to himself and to others that he still had something to offer in the NRL?

Then consider this: In the 10 games since that Round 1 return of five passes and three tackle breaks, White has passed the ball a total of six times and broken two tackles. It's not what he is there to do but reaffirms that his first NRL game since Round 26, 2012 was the most nerve-racking of his 99 games for the Titans thus far.

"Probably that first game was the hardest, just getting back into the contact again," said White, who will rack up 100 games for the Gold Coast when he takes the field against the Dragons on Sunday, just the 11th Titans player to reach the milestone.

"You're a bit worried about getting hit in the legs and that but once you get those first few games out of the road it's been good.

"I was just hitting the ball up from the kick-off and I copped a couple of big knocks a few tackles before and the leg sort of gave way, heard a bit of a crack and found out it was the ACL.

"First off we didn't know how bad it was and when you go and get scans and stuff you're worse after that when you really find out what it was. At first it's really hard and you've got to try and get your head around it and you can't do anything about it.

Forced to stay on the couch watching "blokey movies" for the first two weeks of his recuperation, White applied himself to getting back onto the park in exactly the same manner in which he takes every hit-up; no fuss and with no need for pats on the back.

His form this season vindicates his belief that he has come back bigger and better and the other NRL clubs with whom the Titans had to beat to re-sign him for a further two years just two weeks ago obviously agreed.

"A hundred games has probably snuck up for him, probably surprised him a bit but he's getting better and better and I suppose it was evident with a couple of clubs chasing him this year," said front row partner Luke Bailey.

"While he's turned 30 he's still got a lot of good footy in him and a lot of clubs realised that and the club signed it up for two more years.

"Up until his 'reco' he was pretty durable and didn't miss many games and since he's come back he's been great for the club. You wouldn't have known he's had a reco, the way he's been playing but he's a pretty quiet fella, keeps to himself, loves a beer and a bet."

Raised in Inverell in north-west New South Wales, White came under the notice of talent scouts following his selection in the NSW Country under-18 team but having been lured to the Knights chalked up just 28 first grade games across four seasons.

It gave him the chance to play alongside Newcastle legends such as Andrew Johns, Danny Buderus and Kurt Gidley but the opportunity to be a regular first-grader on the Gold Coast saw him sign on for the 2009 season.

When his next contract runs out White will be 32 years of age and with eight years of service at the club and is thrilled that he was able to stay on the Gold Coast after a difficult past 12 months.

"There was a little bit of interest [from other clubs] but I really didn't want to leave up here. I've been here for six years and settled in really well so I'm glad I could stay," White said.

"I've been here for six years now so getting another couple of years here will be good. I get along great with all the blokes and the coaching staff so I'm happy to be here for a couple more years."

Titanic
22-06-14, 09:16 AM
In my opinion, it reaffirms that he is in a comfort zone and the coaching staff aren't asking him to extend himself … I really like White but gee when will this coaching team ask players to play above the mediocre?

C-Whiz
22-06-14, 11:13 AM
How can we possibly lose? We have 3 captains to guide 13 men around the field.

Bayside Titan
22-06-14, 01:48 PM
How can we possibly lose? We have 3 captains to guide 13 men around the field.

Hahahaha. Where do I start. Our coach , lack of a game plan etc. Hahahha

Smakked
22-06-14, 02:55 PM
Bird and Myles off the bench

Just show our coach has no clue

Dragon s by 16 Dugan to get a hat trick

Titanic
22-06-14, 03:10 PM
Minichiello grabbing puts Blair into n man's land and of course the total package gets completely totalled … hopeless.

Titanic
22-06-14, 03:21 PM
ZIllman to Douglas = dropped, Zillman to Takairangi = dropped, Zillman to Gordon = dropped … what a frigging twat!

C-Whiz
22-06-14, 03:23 PM
I'm working and listening to game on radio, heard 3 dropped balls all from Zillman passes. Is it Zillmans passing or just bad hands?
Ffs, Zillman just dropped it...

Brock O'Brien
ZIllman to Douglas = dropped, Zillman to Takairangi = dropped, Zillman to Gordon = dropped … what a frigging twat!

I can't even believe what he just did! So pissed off

Titanic
and then can't catch it on the chest with the line open … what a twat.

DIEHARD
22-06-14, 03:24 PM
Damn it I can't watch this. Livestream not working, looks like its radio again for me.

Stalks
22-06-14, 03:25 PM
Cartwright's favourite Zillman screws the pooch time and time again - talk about protected species!

DIEHARD
22-06-14, 03:29 PM
OK listening... And Mini scores.

Im a good luck charm.

10-6 kick to come.

How is Mortimer going?

Nick
22-06-14, 03:30 PM
I am really liking the look of Mortimer, he has been very good thus far.

DIEHARD
22-06-14, 03:32 PM
Taylor is injured? Not good.

titanslurker
22-06-14, 03:36 PM
god damn Dugan. we do this every week. dragons will run away with it in the second half now. arghh.

Titanic
22-06-14, 03:36 PM
and then Dugan scores right over the top of Zillman … what a twat!

Stalks
22-06-14, 03:37 PM
So much for the blistering defence we had at the start of the year...

- - - Updated - - -

Can we start a Sack Zillman thread??

Nick
22-06-14, 03:37 PM
Good try, poorly read by white though. Zillman should have wrapped the ball though. Dugan had no right to score that.

Titanic
22-06-14, 03:42 PM
Watching in DC at 1.40am … Ridge totalled … we should be eating this … Mortimer looks good.

titanslurker
22-06-14, 03:45 PM
we better not concede again just before half time...

Titanic
22-06-14, 03:45 PM
Has Roberts got leprosy?

Hail Sezer
22-06-14, 03:50 PM
The difference Mortimer is making...

i hope he doesn't have this coached out of him

gotitans101_
22-06-14, 03:52 PM
Mortimer looking pretty good, seems to be doing a lot of organizing out there so far.

- - - Updated - - -

We finally seem to have some direction in attack...only dumb mistakes letting us down. You can thank the lovechild Zillman for one of them.

teke
22-06-14, 03:53 PM
Has Roberts got leprosy?:laugh:

You gotta be use to right side esp centre getting no ball by now.

Titanic
22-06-14, 03:54 PM
What a half of crappy and scrappy football … injuries to Taylor and Ridge, errors galore from Zillman who made more than the rest of the team combined … Mortimer showed a bit and Roberts was ignored … I can't understand their structure at all.

When you consider the depth that we have in every position including TWO coaches, the team has absolutely no excuse for the disarray that they are in … if not for that intercept we would be in serious trouble.

gotitans101_
22-06-14, 03:54 PM
yeah I'd like to see us utilize our right side more....it's painful watching Roberts and Mead get no ball other than to come in to help the forwards out.

teke
22-06-14, 03:56 PM
yeah I'd like to see us utilize our right side more....it's painful watching Roberts and Mead get no ball other than to come in to help the forwards out.Mead has hardly been standing on the wing :laugh: He was left centre for a bit then swept around the back as fb in the next play.

Wont take long for Roberts to start following him to get some ball.

Titanic
22-06-14, 03:57 PM
You gotta be used to right side esp centre getting no ball by now.
Mortimer looks like he'll fix that … his right side forays look quality.

Nick
22-06-14, 04:26 PM
Myles the idiot getting binned. He has done so much flopping out there.

mdrew
22-06-14, 04:27 PM
Yet another loss coming, the sad part is it does not even bother me, I am that used to it

Jonathonbcode
22-06-14, 04:28 PM
Cartwright hates talent.

Titanic
22-06-14, 04:31 PM
Myles going for 10 is just unbelievable … we will get investigated for tanking.

- - - Updated - - -

Zillman, Zillman, Zillman … what a twat!~

Stalks
22-06-14, 04:33 PM
If Zillman was turfed to Q Cup - I pity the poor side that gets him to play for them!

Jonathonbcode
22-06-14, 04:39 PM
You know how when you get so frustrated, you want to cry? That's how I feel, as of now. Zillman for Mead in the FB position, how has Cartwright even lasted the past three years without getting us in to the finals??? We're wasting away a guy that was the ACTUAL mastermind behind the Maroons dominance as an assistant. This ****ing club. I can't blame some fans from walking away, tbh with you.

teke
22-06-14, 04:47 PM
:laugh: Zillman got turfed to the wing.

Titanic
22-06-14, 04:48 PM
Well, well well … nah, I just couldn't be bothered … except for one point: we go better without Myles.

mdrew
22-06-14, 04:59 PM
What a wasted afternoon that was, a really poor performance again, it is really hard to support this team anymore. We are just lucky the sharks are so bad. Honestly feel a little bad for Zillman, being nice, he really struggled

mup23
22-06-14, 05:05 PM
With Zillman- 2 wins, 7 losses
Without Zillman- 4 wins, 1 loss

Titanic
22-06-14, 05:07 PM
Mary McGregor just said that he thought it was their home game because there were so few Titans fans there.

InTheKnow
22-06-14, 05:12 PM
We can put the first 2 Dragons tries down to Zillman both times made a piss poor effort in tackles and just does not seem to want to put his body on the line

Jonathonbcode
22-06-14, 05:33 PM
I'm a Blues fanatic but Gidley, Pearce, Brett White etc. are nice guys BUT that doesn't mean they are good at a certain job or what not, much like Zillman. I just feel so frustrated...sorry Carty but you need to go and take Zillman with you. I hope when they both leave they at least have employment...

rj62
22-06-14, 05:52 PM
Reckon he's a twat? He seriously must have something on Carty........he shouldn't be on the park

Zillman that is....

- - - Updated - - -

He should be turfed.....out of the f*****g club!

Smakked
22-06-14, 05:58 PM
We are so frustrating to watch.
Anyone notice how slow all our players pass the ball , wtf is that ****, we must have the slowest passes in the NRL, gives defense to much time to set. Watch it it is like in slow motion

TITAN PETE
22-06-14, 06:01 PM

70 minutes too late, what another waste of an afternoon , I almost flicked the Titans to go & watch Tweed v Burleigh which ended in a 16 all draw but no I thought I've gotta stay solid for the team...... Not anymore , I will not be going back to Cbus again as long as Zillman is playing fullback...

The Dragon supporters out number us 2-1 & there was another mythical crowd figure of over 12k when it may have been 9.

Even the corner bar which anyone that's ever been there will know it's the one bar u can go to & watch the game while having beer & chat without having to sit down , it was closed & I've never seen it shut before at a Titans match.

Mortimer looks good, Roberts is looking very dangerous & Zillman is a joke...

6 in a row #CartwrightsgottaGo

Ausphin
22-06-14, 06:25 PM
That's it. 6 losses in a row and i have finally lost faith.

Havent been on the bandwagon to date, but Carty must go.

i have also been a supporter of Zillman (mainly cause i dont think Mead is the answer at fullback yet), but he had a bad game today.

Frustrating year, and when our most dangerous players today have been mid-year siginings is not a good sign. Mortimer looked great and guided us around the park. He's a keeper.

Taka has to get out of the centres. We need to sign a good young centre. Either Moga or Tim Simona would be good.

Would like to see a backline next year of:-

1. Albert Kelly
2. Kevin Gordon
3. Tim Simona
4. James Roberts
5. David Mead
6. Aiden Sezer
7. Daniel Mortimer

Been a frustrating 2 months, but enough is enough. Crowd was poor too.

Worrying times indeed.

Toads
22-06-14, 06:28 PM
Good thing we're not hunting around for any big name players, as we'll need all the dollars we got to throw at Carty 'n Zillman to retain their outstanding services.

EDIT: Searle, your business model ****in' sucks big ones..

Supergoose
22-06-14, 06:46 PM
As bad as Zillman was today - and he was really bad, he had a number of players keep him company. All of the outside backs made many mistakes, especially Mead who tried to get involved but ultimately made multiple errors. We actually did look a little better when Zillman was switched to the wing and Mead to fullback. As bad as Mead played from the wing today, he needs to be our fullback, we look so much better. Maurice Blair was a shining light today. I'm not sure where we go when Alby comes back - whether Maurice goes to centre or Alby does as I think Morts did enough to get another look (although the right side still didn't get enough ball). Minichiello was also excellent today. I think with Taka moving back to the bench, it's time to shift Bird into the middle third.

Nate Myles needs to be told to get out of the way when we are deep in attack. I must've missed when he became a try scoring machine because he gets the ball more than George Burgess who actually scores tries. It was unbelievable when we started a shift to the right early in the game and Luke Douglas bobbed up to knock it on. Talk about a tuba in the strings section.

We should get the two points next week against that danger team the bye, but we will need to come up with a special run home to make the finals now. Those last two games should be the nail in Carty's coaching future and Zillman's fullback future. Nothing should save either of them now. We have a few options as far as line-ups go over the next few weeks, it'll be interesting to see what if anything changes. Blair is the conundrum for me - he has shown that he has probably been our best five-eighth this season.

gotitans101_
22-06-14, 06:59 PM
Once Alby gets back I'd like to see Blair back to the centres and Taka to the second row where he belongs. Mortimer was good enough to retain his spot apart from having a couple of missed tackles.

teke
22-06-14, 07:05 PM
As bad as Zillman was today - and he was really bad, he had a number of players keep him company. All of the outside backs made many mistakes, especially Mead who tried to get involved but ultimately made multiple errors. We actually did look a little better when Zillman was switched to the wing and Mead to fullback. As bad as Mead played from the wing today, he needs to be our fullback, we look so much better. Maurice Blair was a shining light today. I'm not sure where we go when Alby comes back - whether Maurice goes to centre or Alby does as I think Morts did enough to get another look (although the right side still didn't get enough ball). Minichiello was also excellent today. I think with Taka moving back to the bench, it's time to shift Bird into the middle third.

Nate Myles needs to be told to get out of the way when we are deep in attack. I must've missed when he became a try scoring machine because he gets the ball more than George Burgess who actually scores tries. It was unbelievable when we started a shift to the right early in the game and Luke Douglas bobbed up to knock it on. Talk about a tuba in the strings section.

We should get the two points next week against that danger team the bye, but we will need to come up with a special run home to make the finals now. Those last two games should be the nail in Carty's coaching future and Zillman's fullback future. Nothing should save either of them now. We have a few options as far as line-ups go over the next few weeks, it'll be interesting to see what if anything changes. Blair is the conundrum for me - he has shown that he has probably been our best five-eighth this season.mead played bad from the wing?

Titanic Believer
22-06-14, 07:09 PM
frustrating.......over it! wipe the slate clean and start again.......

ozynorts
22-06-14, 07:16 PM
Watching the replay now. FFS why didn't anyone catch the woeful dragons bomb?

Titanic Believer
22-06-14, 07:27 PM
So happy to have watched the Storm/Parramatta game before watching the Titans. At least I saw some football played. The difference in quality between Storm/Parramatta and the Titans/St George plodders is embarrassing........

teke
22-06-14, 07:45 PM
i have also been a supporter of Zillman (mainly cause i dont think Mead is the answer at fullback yet), but he had a bad game today.

Frustrating year, and when our most dangerous players today have been mid-year siginings is not a good sign. Mortimer looked great and guided us around the park. He's a keeper.

Taka has to get out of the centres. We need to sign a good young centre. Either Moga or Tim Simona would be good.

Would like to see a backline next year of:-

1. Albert Kelly
2. Kevin Gordon
3. Tim Simona
4. James Roberts
5. David Mead
6. Aiden Sezer
7. Daniel Mortimer

Been a frustrating 2 months, but enough is enough. Crowd was poor too.

Worrying times indeed.You've been a fan of Zilly cause you dont think Mead is a FB just yet? Surely that cant be the reason.

Meads played 20 games at FB from his Colts days through to his Internationals for the Kumuls and has won 10 MoM -- Players/player awards. If that doesnt say how effective he can be then I will give up.

I can tell you now if he was able to leave this club to further his career as a FB elsewhere, he has had 15 clubs throughout the world interested.

Mexican titan
22-06-14, 08:02 PM
Once Alby gets back I'd like to see Blair back to the centres and Taka to the second row where he belongs. Mortimer was good enough to retain his spot apart from having a couple of missed tackles.

Just back and yet another boring day at the footy. I think the above sums up pretty much what I think but we'll still never go too far with that combination either. I know they don't come on the market often but we need one top quality half and a top quality hooker, with Mead at FB.
The Dragons were 13th coming in to today and I thought they played fairly ordinary footy, yet they beat us. The interest on the Coast with this club has now reached zero evidenced by the fact that there were about 5,000 Titans fans there today. Michael Searle - just how far do you want to drive this club in to the ground?

Ausphin
22-06-14, 08:05 PM
You've been a fan of Zilly cause you dont think Mead is a FB just yet? Surely that cant be the reason.

Meads played 20 games at FB from his Colts days through to his Internationals for the Kumuls and has won 10 MoM -- Players/player awards. If that doesnt say how effective he can be then I will give up.

I can tell you now if he was able to leave this club to further his career as a FB elsewhere, he has had 15 clubs throughout the world interested.

No, been a fan of Zillman since he was at the Raiders. His play this year has been below par though, yet I still think he is the scapegoat on this forum for a lot beyond his control.

I know you always talk about Mead and I have watched David Mead since he was David Moore, and am a big fan. I just think as a fullback he is dicey under the high ball and sometimes can be out of position in defence. Things that can come with experience and more time in the role i guess. In attack and broken play he is dangerous though.

Smakked
22-06-14, 08:15 PM
....... Michael Searle - just how far do you want to drive this club in to the ground?

If Carty sees out his 5 years we will not have a club on the coast by the end of his tenor

ozynorts
22-06-14, 08:25 PM
His play this year has been below par though, yet I still think he is the scapegoat on this forum for a lot beyond his control.
Yep you are right mate. He can't help it if the coach picks him every week regardless of form. The old boys club of searle and Cartwright are sinking it.

ozynorts
22-06-14, 08:25 PM
His play this year has been below par though, yet I still think he is the scapegoat on this forum for a lot beyond his control.
Yep you are right mate. He can't help it if the coach picks him every week regardless of form. The old boys club of searle and Cartwright are sinking it.

teke
22-06-14, 08:28 PM
No, been a fan of Zillman since he was at the Raiders. His play this year has been below par though, yet I still think he is the scapegoat on this forum for a lot beyond his control.

I know you always talk about Mead and I have watched David Mead since he was David Moore, and am a big fan. I just think as a fullback he is dicey under the high ball and sometimes can be out of position in defence. Things that can come with experience and more time in the role i guess. In attack and broken play he is dangerous though.i too think he's been used as a scapegoat at times but it's becoming clear to most he's not the best option anymore.

DavidBouveng
22-06-14, 08:29 PM
Mortimer good. Most clean ball since Blair against storm and princey before 2010.

taka dangerous, mini is in pretty damn good form. He is putting in big ones.

Myles getting binned is as poor show of leadership I can remember. Team needed someone to stand up, not leave them short. Inexcusable, and Carty blaming the ref for it is even worse. Accountability is a foreign word in this club.

Not gonna mention zillman. Coach moving the chosen one to wing is enough of a statement.

Mexican titan
22-06-14, 08:33 PM
This a quote from NRL.com from Carty.

"There's no magic. It's continuing to believe what worked for us early in the year, players believing in that process as well," Cartwright said after the side led 12-6 after 30 minutes but again struggled for potency in the second half. "There's no magic; it's hard work and it's courage too. You've got to turn up, be courageous, stick to a plan, hang onto the ball and things will turn around for you".

This is what gets me. We played the same boring style of play early in the year that we are still playing but got lucky, mostly against ordinary sides. Yet Carty seems to think all was rosy at the start of the year. Most of us knew that we were false leaders and that the luck would soon run out unless we actually tried to win games by scoring points.
The article on NRL.com was "Carty - Courage needed to turn it around" or something like that. The only courage that is needed is for management to sack the coach.

Toads
22-06-14, 08:34 PM

I know you always talk about Mead and I have watched David Mead since he was David Moore, and am a big fan. I just think as a fullback he is dicey under the high ball and sometimes can be out of position in defence. Things that can come with experience and more time in the role i guess. In attack and broken play he is dangerous though.

Agree wholeheartedly what you mentioned of Meady.

But c'mon. Zillman has been ****house for quite some time. Most of us given him the benefit of the doubt on more than one occasion. It's a pity he doesn't/won't get his manager to float his name out there 'n see what sort of buzz it generates. That would help cut thru the bull**** 'n get right to chase about how good he really is..

ozynorts
22-06-14, 08:40 PM
He isn't going to risk a lesser pay packet when he is guaranteed here.

DavidBouveng
22-06-14, 08:48 PM
This a quote from NRL.com from Carty.

"There's no magic. It's continuing to believe what worked for us early in the year, players believing in that process as well," Cartwright said after the side led 12-6 after 30 minutes but again struggled for potency in the second half. "There's no magic; it's hard work and it's courage too. You've got to turn up, be courageous, stick to a plan, hang onto the ball and things will turn around for you".

This is what gets me. We played the same boring style of play early in the year that we are still playing but got lucky, mostly against ordinary sides. Yet Carty seems to think all was rosy at the start of the year. Most of us knew that we were false leaders and that the luck would soon run out unless we actually tried to win games by scoring points.
The article on NRL.com was "Carty - Courage needed to turn it around" or something like that. The only courage that is needed is for management to sack the coach.

i spoke with someone by PM or on twitter about this. Carty thinks luck is an acceptable pat of the gameplan.

The good teams play at a level where ref calls and luck dont play as much part in it. and he wants to go back to a style that barley beat teams rusty at the start of a long season? fml.

rj62
22-06-14, 08:57 PM
frustrating.......over it! wipe the slate clean and start again.......

Almost déjà vu from last year, and the year before , and the year before , and.......

- - - Updated - - -

Give Henry the coaching gig and leave Carty In the wings......anything, just do SOMETHING.

Titanic
22-06-14, 10:44 PM
Zillman is not the scapegoat but just a part of the symptom … Myles is a plodder, Bird is a hog (even the Blues supporters must get this), Minichiello has poor hands, Bailey is off the pace, Takairangi isn't being coached, Srama is at QCup level, Falloon is also not being coached, Sezer one-dimensional, Kelly outrageously over-rated, Mead is a fullback, Blair is a must, so is Roberts, so is Don and Ridge. Something like this is what we have until we can recruit a quality hooker, like the one we gave away or from the PNG Hunters if anybody has noticed him.

1. Mead 2. Gordon 3. Blair 4. Roberts 5. Don 6. Sezer 7. Mortimer 8. Douglas 9. Falloon 10. White 11. Taylor 12. Ridge 13. Bird 14. Minichiello 15. Takairangi 16. Carter 17. Kelly (to be used like Preston Campbell was).

And I add that Blair knows how to use Taylor on the left as does Sezer with Gordon and Mortimer will get to understand Ridge, Roberts and Don. I have kept Minichiello there because his good form yesterday and Mortimer's inclusion wasn't a coincidence. Morts knows how to put players away. Also Taylor looked really uncomfortable yesterday on the right side and I think he just needs to know his position and stop being pushed around.

DavidBouveng
22-06-14, 11:03 PM
Watching replay. Baileys little spiral pass to the second man behind the decoy is new and pretty decent. Opens it up for a nice backline play with lead runners and sweeping fullbacks.

I wasn't clear earlier, but we had a lot of energy and effort today, but it was just a bit aimless. It was nothing like our poor games against cowboys and tigers where we had no pulse almost.

I wasn't going to mention zillman, but gee whiz this was next level stuff. Either he has hands like concrete - he passes the ball really quickly into the receivers bicep or shoulder or behind, no softness or finesse about it, or the players have agreed to a silent protest and are tanking it when he's involved lol. You can't have your first five passes go to ground and there not be a common theme.

i under estimated how useful Mortimer could be for us. He is a little weapon and give the outside guys decent space. He will either get better or have it coached out of him

- - - Updated - - -

Zillman is not the scapegoat but just a part of the symptom … Myles is a plodder, Bird is a hog (even the Blues supporters must get this), Minichiello has poor hands, Bailey is off the pace, Takairangi isn't being coached, Srama is at QCup level, Falloon is also not being coached, Sezer one-dimensional, Kelly outrageously over-rated, Mead is a fullback, Blair is a must, so is Roberts, so is Don and Ridge. Something like this is what we have until we can recruit a quality hooker, like the one we gave away or from the PNG Hunters if anybody has noticed him.

1. Mead 2. Gordon 3. Blair 4. Roberts 5. Don 6. Sezer 7. Mortimer 8. Douglas 9. Falloon 10. White 11. Taylor 12. Ridge 13. Bird 14. Minichiello 15. Takairangi 16. Carter 17. Kelly (to be used like Preston Campbell was).

And I add that Blair knows how to use Taylor on the left as does Sezer with Gordon and Mortimer will get to understand Ridge, Roberts and Don. I have kept Minichiello there because his good form yesterday and Mortimer's inclusion wasn't a coincidence. Morts knows how to put players away. Also Taylor looked really uncomfortable yesterday on the right side and I think he just needs to know his position and stop being pushed around.

Gus was going nuts during the origin about bird and gallen hogging it not letting it get wide. It was Titan ball, just replace Myles name instead of gallen. I'm sure if farah or someone was captain instead of gallen it wouldn't have been 8 in a row. They just got so pre occupied about being tough and not being stood over, they wasted 5 years.

Titanic
23-06-14, 12:01 AM
Yes DB … I have argued for years that Zillman can't pass and he can't … too hard, poor direction, bad timing … he is robotic like the kid who always leaves his best on the training paddock. He will make a good PE teacher but is not at NRL standard which is why he was changed from a 5/8 into a wing/FB by (guess who?) Neil Henry at the Raiders.

mup23
23-06-14, 02:17 AM

You say Mead is dicey and you want Kelly at fullback? Kelly played fullback at the sharks and dropped 8 bombs in one day and set his career back for years

TITAN PETE
23-06-14, 08:58 AM
Courage needed to arrest slide: Cartwright
By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent
NRL.com
7:20pm Sun 22nd June, 2014

Titans coach John Cartwright has challenged his players to use next week's bye to find the courage needed to rescue their flailing 2014 finals aspirations, and to see if they can't find a four-leaf clover in their travels.

The Titans' 19-18 loss to the Dragons on Sunday was a club record-equalling sixth loss in succession and puts them four points outside the top eight having led the competition after six rounds.

Recognising the importance of breaking the losing streak with a win over the Dragons in the lead-up, the Titans completed just two-thirds of their sets and were guilty of coming up with a host of poor last play options at critical times.

Currently sitting in 12th position on the ladder, the bye in Round 16 will go some way to stemming the fall down the table but Cartwright has urged his players to muster the necessary courage during their time off to turn around their fortunes.

"There's no magic. It's continuing to believe what worked for us early in the year, players believing in that process as well," Cartwright said after the side led 12-6 after 30 minutes but again struggled for potency in the second half. "There's no magic; it's hard work and it's courage too. You've got to turn up, be courageous, stick to a plan, hang onto the ball and things will turn around for you.

"There's not a lot different that we're doing to the games that we won, the tight ones, earlier in the year. It's a little bit of confidence and a little bit of luck has turned around. We were lucky in a few games early but that has turned around and it's going the other way at the moment."

Both Dragons tries in the first half came a set after the Titans conceded a penalty but Cartwright expressed his confusion as to where the match officials see infringements and where they allow play to continue.

"I just don't know what constitutes a penalty to be honest with you," he said. "There was an offside penalty given in the second half late in the tackle count and you guys watch from up high, you can see how many times players are offside.

"The one where Trent Merrin tried to offload the ball and basically ripped his arm out and the ball came free... As a defender I don't know what you're supposed to do, I really don't.

"I'm over worrying about things like that, hopefully they all turn around and come back to you at some point but they didn't to us tonight, it was 3-0 (penalties in favour of the Dragons) in the second half."

With 20 offloads compared to the Dragons' five the Titans continued to show a propensity to offload the ball at almost any opportunity but despite their poor completion rate, Cartwright said there will be no edict to tuck the ball under the arm when they travel to play the Rabbitohs in Round 17.

"You have to look at the consequences of them. We had 11 good ones [in the first half] and I'm not sure where the turnovers came but there were just some basic turnovers of the ball," he said.

"Fundamental errors, taking your eye off the ball in a try-scoring situation to at one stage. There might have been the odd loose offload but you can't take that away from our side. That's what creates a lot of energy for us and creates a lot of second-phase play in attack so you've got to find a balance there to know when to take the risk out of it and know when it's on."

Lock forward Ben Ridge was heavily concussed six minutes before half-time and failed to take any further part in the game but was cleared of any serious damage in the sheds after the game.

DavidBouveng
23-06-14, 09:38 AM
He speaks of someone taking eyes off the ball when in try scoring range... I'm going to assume that means zillman.

combined with shifting him late in the game, it's about as big a tiff as we have seen from Carty and zill. Is the penny dropping that staking his career on zill at fb is not going to end well.

5 Year Contract
23-06-14, 10:58 AM
Look at the bright side another loss closer to someone having the intelligence and balls to get rid of Cartwright. Another wasted game and honestly for ****s sake how can we still leave Zillman at fullback. Deadset I cannot fathom in any way shape or form why he is there let alone Captain. Enough is enough. The only solace I can take is the fact the players also feel the same as many of us do.

DIEHARD
23-06-14, 12:54 PM
6 in a row. Bloody hell. The Gold Coast Seagulls are back!

A very good likelihood that it will be 7 in a row as we are up against Souths next!

Titanic
23-06-14, 01:02 PM
That article quoting Cartwright is one of a drowning man … Facebook is full of dissent and the article I just read about the Suns v Titans is just shameful except that it offered this classic: the Centre of ExSearlence :) :)

karnage
23-06-14, 02:44 PM
I thought you guys said they edited the Facebook page???????

My first ever look there and it is more bitter than this place is.

DIEHARD
23-06-14, 04:58 PM

Isn't it grand? The irony is sweet. But the sicken has well and truly set into the fanbase. It needs to be purged. No more clamshell games. The Titans need a rebirth!

DIEHARD
23-06-14, 04:58 PM

Isn't it grand? The irony is sweet. But the sicken has well and truly set into the fanbase. It needs to be purged. No more clamshell games. The Titans need a rebirth!

Toads
23-06-14, 05:09 PM
Now would be a good time for Searle to offload his 48% while it's still worth something..

Smakked
23-06-14, 08:10 PM
Any odds on us going 10 loses in a row? I will put money on that *****

titanslurker
23-06-14, 10:01 PM
this is really it for us tbh. we lose this game and its the nail in the coffin for our season.

- - - Updated - - -

haha that was meant for the souths thread.

matti
23-06-14, 10:05 PM
Hopefully they listen to all the facebook comments