PDA

View Full Version : Round 13: TITANS vs PANTHERS

DIEHARD
24-05-14, 07:29 PM
TITANS vs PANTHERS

http://d35kvm5iuwjt9t.cloudfront.net/dbimages/sfx118552.jpg

teke
24-05-14, 08:18 PM
If anyone has hope of a victory in this one tell me so I thumb u doooooown :)

DIEHARD
30-05-14, 01:14 PM
Titans fullback William Zillman reveals devastation over hamstring injury that threatened his season

TITANS fullback William Zillman has revealed he was “devastated’’ by a hamstring injury that threatened to derail his season so soon after he had *returned to full fitness.

After off-season rest finally rid him of the chronic groin problem osteitis pubis, Zillman was relishing the chance to play at full fitness for the first time in almost a year.

But his hamstring injury nobbled that opportunity, with Zillman sidelined for five weeks.

“It was pretty devastating for me when I thought I just had my body right,’’ the 27-year-old said.

“You always think during the year you’re going to miss maybe one or two here and there for injuries.

“It was just hard for me because I did it so early on in the season. I was just getting the hang of it and we were playing some good football and I tore my hammy, unfortunately.

“But it’s back now to 100 per cent and I felt really comfortable on the weekend.’’

Zillman was further tested on return, being slotted into the centres after David Mead’s outstanding showing at fullback during his absence.

But he said the move had not toyed with his confidence.

“To be honest, it’s just made me hungrier to get back out there,’’ he said of the shift and a nasty concussion suffered in his second game back against the Broncos.

Zillman has since shifted back to No. 1 and is determined to maintain the position for the remainder of the season.

“I guess (competition is a good thing). I think that’s one of the fortunate things for us this year, that we’ve got quite a bit of depth,’’ he said.

“We’ve always had depth in the forwards I think but also this year in the backs we’ve got heaps of guys vying for wing positions, centre positions and we’ve been fortunate because even when we’ve suffered a couple of injuries in this last month, I feel like we’ve had quality guys that can fill those positions. I’m very comfortable at fullback, I love playing fullback and I certainly think I can bring my best out for the team playing there.’’

After leading the competition, the Titans slid out of the top eight after three consecutive losses but Zillman said the club would fight back.

“It’s hard losing even two in a row and to go down on the weekend three in a row was a tough pill to swallow but we really have a good month of football coming up and we’ve got some troops coming back for next week hopefully.

“Hopefully Alby (Albert Kelly) will be right, Brad Takairangi and then you’ve got guys like Nate (Myles) and Birdy (Greg Bird) to beef the side up and hopefully get a win at home.’’

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/nrl/

Toads
30-05-14, 02:01 PM
Zillman has since shifted back to No. 1 and is determined to maintain the position for the remainder of the season.

Excellent! We finally got our FB back for the rest of the season. Looking forward to him going MIA for 80 minutes..

Skyfire
30-05-14, 03:28 PM
Damn I was looking forward to Idris coming back here.

Titanic
30-05-14, 04:00 PM
I don't know why we bother … these guys are on a completely different planet, where there is pink lemonade in the fountains and sugar-coated candy trees … a reality check is needed in our club urgently.

Mexican titan
30-05-14, 04:06 PM
I'm pleased someone posted this article. I read it in a Drs waiting room this morning. I was there for a skin cancer check but they also do heart checks and I thought I might need one after I read this. I can't recall the headline but it was something like putting the Zip back in to the Titans. Please.
I cannot believe the positive articles this bloke gets. He is just f----ing Teflon as nothing sticks and he is written up as blameless in most articles. I rank him well into the bottom 50% of NRL fullbacks and he is well behind who most of us rank our club number 1 fullback in Mead. Even second string fullbacks like Hiku would rate far above Zilly.
The supporters generally all seem to think the same as most on this forum but he must have something on the journos at the Bully. It's got me beat. I even can't believe how lightly he got off after a half fit Johnson ran around him last game. You always know a fullback was left cold when he didn't even get near making an attempt and ending up on the ground. Barely a word in the papers though.

DIEHARD
30-05-14, 04:12 PM
I saw it as...

Fired-up fullback gives Titans spark

Surfers66
30-05-14, 04:42 PM
Does anyone know our Win/Loss Ratio with Zillman out?

Not sure about anyone else but at half way through and only just out of the 8 - I have completely given up.
We have no idea from the players to back of house. From the outside looking in it seems there is a massive lack of accountability and it seems to me the season is already lost.

Lets get Roberts in and see how he goes......

teke
30-05-14, 04:55 PM
Where will they play Mead next game. Won't get fb, won't get right wing, has no idea about left centre only to be changed to right centre last minute.

Time to let him go Cartright, you are ruining a career

Titanic
30-05-14, 04:59 PM
Wrong, my friend ... he is ruining a club.

Mexican titan
30-05-14, 05:06 PM
I saw it as...

Fired-up fullback gives Titans spark

Yeah that was it. I couldn't believe that headline.
It's great that Emma Greenwood writes positive articles, particularly after all the negative stuff that the idiots Rothfield and Wilson write in the Telegraph but who is feeding her this stuff. Zillman gets a lot of positive articles written for a player who shouldn't even be in the team.

Bayside Titan
30-05-14, 07:06 PM
Where will they play Mead next game. Won't get fb, won't get right wing, has no idea about left centre only to be changed to right centre last minute.

Time to let him go Cartright, you are ruining a career
sad but true....Carty tho will play him in the front row.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

- - - Updated - - -

Wrong, my friend ... he is ruining a club.

A club and a lot of fans faith ....or whatevers left ...

titanslurker
30-05-14, 07:17 PM
lot of negativity towards our chances in this game. lets hope the bye will give us that little bit extra to get over the line against the panthers.

Bayside Titan
30-05-14, 08:24 PM
lot of negativity towards our chances in this game. lets hope the bye will give us that little bit extra to get over the line against the panthers.

Welcome. TL. Like you I hoe we do well however makes it hard to stay positive when our coach won't pick the best players on the right position. More so to pick Mead at Fullback.

DavidBouveng
30-05-14, 09:24 PM
panthers are giving the eels a touch up. building some nice form and will top 2 after tonight.

this should a be fun night against the panthers

gotitans101_
31-05-14, 12:07 AM
If the Panthers play like they did tonight we are going to get annihilated.

5 Year Contract
31-05-14, 07:33 PM
Deadset if Roberts isn't into the team and Mead isn't fullback I give up. Zillman has done what he can for this club but I cant help but feel nothing would make me happier than a season ending injury to him so we are at least playing our best 17....thats how good our coach is right now

Bayside Titan
31-05-14, 07:38 PM
Deadset if Roberts isn't into the team and Mead isn't fullback I give up. Zillman has done what he can for this club but I cant help but feel nothing would make me happier than a season ending injury to him so we are at least playing our best 17....thats how good our coach is right now

Great post 5YC. Pretty much sums it up.

5 Year Contract
31-05-14, 07:53 PM
Honestly I actually feel sorry for Zillman. Due to his injuries he is too far off the pace and is a more of a hinderance than a asset to us right now. If the best 17 were chosen he would be playing out his days in Q-Cup/Super league yet Carty continues to pick him and overlook his flaws in complete detriment to the team. Huge respect for Harro. We have all seen he has been gradually getting more and more off the pace due to his injuries and age over the years and he has decided to end on his own terms. I can cop losses you cant win every game but I cant cop this continued mediocrity through poor selection, coaching and ownership. In the age of every supporters $$ becoming harder to justify we are doing our club no favors here.

Mexican titan
31-05-14, 08:38 PM
Honestly I actually feel sorry for Zillman. Due to his injuries he is too far off the pace and is a more of a hinderance than a asset to us right now. If the best 17 were chosen he would be playing out his days in Q-Cup/Super league yet Carty continues to pick him and overlook his flaws in complete detriment to the team. Huge respect for Harro. We have all seen he has been gradually getting more and more off the pace due to his injuries and age over the years and he has decided to end on his own terms. I can cop losses you cant win every game but I cant cop this continued mediocrity through poor selection, coaching and ownership. In the age of every supporters $$ becoming harder to justify we are doing our club no favors here.

Pretty much sums it up 5YC.
You are being kind to Zilly saying injuries have affected him. I don't think he has been injured all of the last 3 years.

DavidBouveng
01-06-14, 10:38 PM
good post 5YC, and i too feel for Zillman. He isnt picking himself, which puts alot of pressure on him considering there are clearly better options, and it would be a big call to stand yourself down.

So he has to keep polishing apples and doing his best until a new coach comes to town

Titanic
02-06-14, 01:02 AM
He mightn't be picking himself but he certainly isn't being honest with his team mates … he's well down on form and that's being kind.

DIEHARD
02-06-14, 01:47 PM
Titans half-back Albert Kelly will “defy” nerve pain in his leg to help his team out of a potential season-ruining rut

TITANS half-back Albert Kelly will defy “nerve pain” in his leg to help dig the Gold Coast out of the rut that’s threatening to ruin their season.

Kelly will return from a two-game lay-off against Penrith at Cbus Super Stadium on Saturday and will likely partner good friend Maurice Blair in the halves.

It’ll be his first game since the big loss to South Sydney in Round 9 when he played just 13 days after suffering a small fracture in his leg.

Kelly missed the Broncos and Warriors losses because of a minor hamstring strain and the affects of the fracture which are causing an “annoying pain” in his left leg.

But with five-eighth Aidan Sezer (pectoral muscle) out for at least three months, Kelly said he was determined to help snap the Gold Coast’s three-game losing streak and get their season back on track.

“I probably shouldn’t have played against the Rabbits but I tried to get out there and lead by example by playing sore and injured,” he said.

“Everyone does it but I’ve missed out two weeks now. Lucky we have a bye and it’ll give me that extra two weeks.

“It’s frustrating watching the team lose those two games.

“I’ll go back (today), hopefully train without any hiccups and play against Panthers.”

Kelly has had a run of leg injuries this year which started with the varicose veins problem in his left leg which saw him miss some of the pre-season. A byproduct of that problem was increased swelling when he copped a severe cork and minor crack in the fibula against Wests in Round 8.

The callus that’s formed over the crack has been causing the recent pain in his leg but Kelly said it was improving.

“I had that nerve kind of pain down near the tib-fib (tibula-fibula) joint and that’s what’s been keeping me out of training,” he said.

“It’s a nerve pain that comes and goes. It’s a bit like a funny-bone hit.

“It’s an annoying pain.

“I did the whole session (on Thursday) and it felt very good. I should be able to train all week and get to play against the Panthers.”

The Titans will also be bolstered by the return of co-captains Nate Myles (Origin) and Greg Bird (suspension) but hooker Beau Falloon (back) is in some doubt.

“Beau won’t be long-term. He may miss a week or two,” coach John Cartwright said.

“He’s got a bit of a disc problem.

“Albert did two tough sessions last week and as long as he can train this week he should be right for selection.”

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/nrl/

Toads
02-06-14, 02:47 PM
If he's not ready, don't rush him back in. You'd like to think our Coaching Staff have at least learnt this in recent years.

Bayside Titan
02-06-14, 07:08 PM
If he's not ready, don't rush him back in. You'd like to think our Coaching Staff have at least learnt this in recent years.

Mmmmmm. You know our "Coach" is John Cartwright yeah ?????

Toads
02-06-14, 07:44 PM
Yeah Mate, that's the concerning part. I wouldn't be too surprised if he has been rushing our Lads back early, with the hope of saving his own butt (by wins).

Bayside Titan
02-06-14, 11:03 PM
Yeah Mate, that's the concerning part. I wouldn't be too surprised if he has been rushing our Lads back early, with the hope of saving his own butt (by wins).

Mate you could be right on this. I sometimes get the feeling that players are playing injured.

Bayside Titan
03-06-14, 10:05 AM
I know Carty won't do it but this is the back line that I would like to see this weekend.
1. Mead for Speed.
2.Don is good.
3. Taka
4. Tighe
5. Roberts
6. Blair
7. Alby.

Zilly running the water and looking after the oranges.

Titanic
03-06-14, 10:31 AM
That's a first grade backline behind a first grade pack (doesn't really matter which combination at the moment) ... I would happily support that squad; win, lose or draw.

K2G
03-06-14, 11:39 AM
Roberts only being considered for a centre spot according to Carty (as per the article in the 'Australian (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n9fmktYWtk)', originally posted by indoallstars), in which case Tighe on the wing? I'd rather Gordon if fit.

- - - Updated - - -

Titans goal-kickers in Fantasy land

By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent
NRL.com (http://www.nrl.com/titans-goal-kickers-in-fantasy-land/tabid/10874/newsid/79028/default.aspx)
6:00am Tue 03rd June, 2014

http://www.nrl.com/Portals/NRL/images/37/37573_20_1.jpg

Holden NRL Fantasy coaches with either Kevin Gordon or William Zillman in their squads may be in for an unexpected boost with the Titans facing the prospect of using a fourth-string goal-kicker against the Panthers on Saturday evening.

Coming off the bye and without a win since Round 8, the Titans are in desperate need of the two competition points to maintain pace with the top eight but their success may be reliant on a goal-kicker who has never converted two points in their career.

Neither Gordon nor Zillman has had a kick at goal in first grade in 239 games between them but with the long-term injury to Aidan Sezer, a foot problem that Greg Bird says rules him out of contention and the uncertainty of five-eighth Beau Henry's place in the team, either man could get the call-up.

Maurice Blair has a 100 per cent success rate in the NRL (one-from-one) but coach John Cartwright insists that goal-kicking proficiency won't be a factor at Tuesday's selection meeting.

"We'll pick a side first and then we'll find a goal-kicker if we have to," Cartwright said.

"Kevvie Gordon can kick a goal, he's probably up there; William Zillman can kick a goal so there are a few guys there that can kick goals."

With two points on offer for every successful kick at goal in NRL Fantasy, it will only take a few opportunities from close to the posts for either Gordon or Zillman to give their match average a significant boost.

Heading into Round 13 Gordon is averaging just 16.44 Fantasy points per game while Zillman sits at 11.71 points with a highest score of 24.

The Titans are one of nine teams separated by just two points as we near the halfway mark of the Telstra Premiership and goal-kicking could be vital against a Panthers team with the second best defence in the competition.

Less than two months ago the Titans sat atop the ladder and co-captain Greg Bird – whose goal-kicking suggestion consisted only of "Hopefully not Kevin Gordon" – believes it is the tightest premiership race that he has seen in his 12 seasons in the NRL.

"This is the pivotal part of the season really," said Bird.

"I actually haven't seen a ladder this congested after this many games but at the same time we can either go one way or another.

"The teams in that congestion can fight their way to the top or fall out the back and we don't want to be the ones who fall out the back so we've got to get back on the winning train again and start getting back up there."

With the Panthers flying high on the back of a three-game winning streak and the Titans trying to arrest three successive losses, Cartwright knows the importance of getting one over his old club on Saturday night.

"It appears to be that there's not as large a gap between the top sides and the bottom sides," was Cartwright's summation of the ladder logjam.

"The top sides have been beating each other – outside of the Dogs – but outside that there's probably two points between eight or nine teams.

"It's a bit early to be looking at the ladder but you know if you're winning games you can go from where we are to the top very quickly.

"It's very important for us to go out this week and make sure three losses in a row is only three losses in a row. We need to get back on the winning board and as we know that can lead to more wins down the track."

TITAN PETE
03-06-14, 11:50 AM
Cartwright should consider swapping Gordon for Kahn Arwang if there is a serious kicking issue..

Titanic
03-06-14, 12:20 PM
Expecting to see:

1. Zillman ... what a cluster fark
2. Roberts ... I don't care what Cartwright says, he couldn't be that stupid surely.
3. Takairangi ... playing him left because he plays right
4. Mead ... fitting him in to avoid a public lynching
5. Don ... can't drop him now
6. Blair ... because he reads the paper
7. Kelly ... expecting Henry on the bench

What I would love to see:

1. Mead
2. Roberts
3. Tighe
4. Takairangi
5. Don
6. Blair
7. Kelly

and the rest? Take your pick but I suppose I can expect:

8. Douglas
9. Srama
10. Myles
11. Bird
12. Ridge
13. Carter

14. Bailey
15. White
16. Taylor
17. Minichiello

But I would prefer:

8. Douglas
9. Srama
10. Myles
11. Taylor
12. Ridge
13. Bird

14. Bailey
15. White
16. Ioane
17. Carter

DavidBouveng
03-06-14, 12:47 PM
Like your squad titanic, but i wouldnt be too upset if Carter got the gig instead of Ridge. Even playing right edge so bird can play lock. he was really strong defending there last game.

but its the backs where we need help.

Titanic
03-06-14, 12:49 PM
No problem BT both are fine by me but I was considering our fabulous rotation. He'll get Gordon back in there somehow and it'll all look the same ole same ole ... I haven't even mentioned James, he must be about to raise his head again too ... maybe he can kick goals :) and as for Zillman kicking goals, of course the Total Package, how could I forget?

Smakked
03-06-14, 01:48 PM
The team v Panthers, round 13:

1 - William Zillman

2 – Kevin Gordon

3 – Brad Tighe

4 – Brad Takairangi

5 – David Mead

6 – Maurice Blair

7 - Albert Kelly

8 - Luke Douglas

9 – Matt Srama

10 – Nate Myles (capt)

11 – Greg Bird (capt)

12 – David Taylor

13 – Ben Ridge

INTERCHANGE

14 – Matthew White

15 – Luke Bailey

16 – Mark Minichiello

17 – Paul Carter

18 – James Roberts

WTF is going on with Carty only one hooker named ? :rolleyes:

hopefully roberts gets a run

K2G
03-06-14, 01:57 PM
Carter will be coming off the bench at hooker, and I'd say Roberts will drop off the bench unless Gordon or Taka pull up sore during the week.

Not surprised by this line-up at all.

Zillman getting a run ahead of Don is disgusting.

DIEHARD
03-06-14, 02:05 PM
You have got to be kidding me, where is Don?! The man who has won us his fair share of games in 2014.

teke
03-06-14, 02:07 PM
Id rather Mead get dropped tbh

Titan4Life
03-06-14, 02:10 PM
Although I am unhappy about Mead not being selected at the back and Don being dropped, it is good to see Carty selecting Blair at 5/8 and Mead won't let us down on the wing. Hope someone in the back 5 gets injured and Roberts comes in. Average team but I would like to see Mead FB and I agree that Don doesn't deserve to be dropped for Zillman.

gotitans101_
03-06-14, 02:13 PM
Don dropped, that'll do me.

- - - Updated - - -

I also wouldn't blame Mead if he got up and left after having to make way for an underdone Zillman.

We would be better off without Zillman altogether.

Skyfire
03-06-14, 02:16 PM
The coach drop a form player.

The coach plays favourites.

Hail Sezer
03-06-14, 02:18 PM
All of these horrible selections are because of Carty's desire to keep Zillman happy. Incredibly frustrating.

DIEHARD
03-06-14, 02:19 PM
Why is Don dropped and Roberts is promoted to the extended bench ahead of him? Does that illustrate where he is on the picking order?

gotitans101_
03-06-14, 02:24 PM
All of these horrible selections are because of Carty's desire to keep Zillman happy. Incredibly frustrating.

Exactly right.

Titanic
03-06-14, 03:15 PM
Yes, I think if Henderson was still at the club Cartwright would just pick the same team of his mates ... how pathetic are we?

5 Year Contract
03-06-14, 03:32 PM
Well everyone here's to another wasted season. Zillman at fullback after his performance against the warriors. Don out of the team after his consistent defense, attack and composure under the highball. Roberts cant even crack the starting team when we are screaming out for someone to offer us something extra in attack after Idris leaving. Onya Carty!!!!!!!!!

Surfers66
03-06-14, 03:45 PM
Go Back to Penrith John............Over It

Blade07
03-06-14, 04:36 PM
Any going to the game please hold up a sign or something to let everyone know even carty that we don't want him

Smakked
03-06-14, 04:41 PM
Yeah have to say i am over this ****. Makes me loose interest in NRL when you see stuff like this with your own team.

Titanic Believer
03-06-14, 04:47 PM
With the exception of Blair, Tighe and Carter isn't this the same team that has be mediocre for the last three years? Hasn't Don been one of the few bright lights in the team this year?........just asking

Blade07
03-06-14, 05:04 PM
Actually hope k hunt joins us because we really need a change to our backs and hopefully move zilly

Supergoose
03-06-14, 06:10 PM
Really hoping James Roberts gets a run. He will be electric for us. I love the Kelly/Blair halves pairing and I think the pack is spot on. I feel sorry for Don who would be better either on Mead's wing or at fullback and feel for Meady too. I wonder how many losses it will take to shift Zilly. I'd be dropping Minichiello and putting Taka on the bench with Roberts at right centre. Tighe is serviceable and hasn't let us down. Glad to see Gordon back and it will be interesting to see who does the goal-kicking.

The Panthers have been decent of late and our pack is going to need to be at their best if we are to take them down. Having Bird and Myles back will help and I reckon Ridge is going to take this opportunity with both hands while Harrison is out. Despite the fullback debacle - I think we will win this one.

TitansFan
03-06-14, 06:13 PM
It's already been said in this thread, but I have to add my disgust.

I would prefer Mead to fullback, Don to the wing, Zillman to Q Cup, and Cartwright to retirement.

Would be nice to see Zillman prove us all wrong, but I don't have any faith in that happening. In fact I don't have much faith at all in this club's chances as long as Cartwright is coach.

indoallstars
03-06-14, 06:19 PM
I am hoping Idris is not playing this game for his personal reasons because he and Mansour ripped us a new ass hole last game

Titanic
03-06-14, 06:27 PM
The problem with Zillman is that as fans we all would like him to succeed, however, if he pulls a good one out this weekend then we are faced with him pulling bads ones out for the following 2 months ... I just can't take that.

And bugger Idris ... he can bugger off to wherever he comes from and go to buggery ... I just can't wait for the dripping, sympathetic crap that Gould and his media darlings will roll out ... the poor unfortunate, misunderstood, over-rated lard-butted millionaire.

DIEHARD
03-06-14, 06:30 PM
James Roberts says sacking from Penrith Panthers a 'blessing in disguise' after fresh NRL start with Gold Coast Titans

James Roberts was a shattered man at the time of his sacking from Penrith, and while he holds no grudges against his former club, he has labelled his move to the Gold Coast as a blessing in disguise.

As he prepares for what could be his first game for the Titans against his former club on Saturday night, Roberts has broken his silence after he was axed by the Panthers in March following an alcohol-fuelled off-field misdemeanour during the preseason.

The talented 21-year-old, who has been named on an extended bench for the Titans this weekend, said he owed a lot to Panthers general manager Phil Gould and club welfare officer Glen Liddiard for helping to turn his life around.

"I was shattered when they released me and told me I was no longer needed there," Roberts said.

"I think Glen was more shattered than me, he almost burst out in tears. It was pretty heartbreaking and I never really wanted to leave. Gus called me in and said it was one of the hardest decisions he has ever had to make. He told me 'we're going to have to let you go' and that 'we as a club believe it's not working'. He said 'we wish you luck at whatever club you go to, which I'm sure you'll find'. He just said it wasn't working out and that I've had enough warnings.

"I got along with Gus. He's like the godfather at Penrith and he always came around to check on me and make sure everything was all good. That's why I was shocked when he called me in and told me they had to let me go. Gus has helped me out a lot and I couldn't thank him enough for what he did for me. I'm still looking to give him a buzz once I get my life back on track, but it's all worked out perfect for me on the Gold Coast. One of my uncles told me it was a blessing in disguise."

At the start of last year, Roberts was homeless. He was living out of his car for a fortnight as he looked to get his life back on track at the foot of the mountains after he was dumped by South Sydney.

His talent has never been questioned, winning the Jack Gibson medal last year as the best player in Penrith's Holden Cup premiership triumph.

He's now living at Tweed Heads with Titans teammate and cousin Caleb Binge. While some may see this as his last chance, Roberts said the move was his best shot at making the most of his freakish talent.

"I don't feel like it's my last chance, I feel like it's my best chance," Roberts said.

"I will make it work. You'd have to have something wrong with you for it to not work out up here given the lifestyle, the boys and the facilities. It's good for me to be up here with my close mate Brad Tighe. When I found out he was going to the Titans, I started thinking I wanted to leave the club too because I was training at right centre but the Panthers had signed Jamal [Idris] to play there.

"I was a bit heartbroken when I was told they were going to run Jamal at centre and, if injuries occur, then I'll get my crack. They wanted me to run on the right wing and I didn't like that, but that's how it goes sometimes."

Since the preseason incident that culminated in his sacking from Penrith, Roberts has been on an alcohol ban imposed by the NRL's integrity unit.

While that ban is set to be lifted in just over a fortnight, Roberts has vowed to stay off the drink in a bid to fulfil his potential.

"After leaving Penrith, I haven't touched a drink since," Roberts said.

"Nothing good comes out of it, especially when you're an athlete. The Integrity Unit put me on an alcohol ban, which at first I didn't like. But now it's my choice not to drink. I'm still on a ban but when it finishes, I'm not going to drink. I've learnt that alcohol is not my mate."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/james-roberts-says-sacking-from-penrith-panthers-a-blessing-in-disguise-after-fresh-nrl-start-with-gold-coast-titans-20140603-zrwlm.html#ixzz33YxxHPg4

DIEHARD
03-06-14, 06:36 PM
Panthers

1. Matt Moylan
2. Josh Mansour
3. Dean Whare
4. Isaah Yeo
5. David Simmons
6. Jamie Soward
7. Peter Wallace
8. Sam McKendry
9. James Segeyaro
10. Brent Kite
11. Sika Manu
12. Tyrone Peachey
13. Elijah Taylor

14. Lewis Brown
15. Jeremy Latimore
16. Nigel Plum
17. Bryce Cartwright

Titan4Life
03-06-14, 07:10 PM
No doubt that Penrith are a good side but that have had a pretty easy draw. Here are the teams they have beaten:
Raiders x2 (14th)
Knights x2 (15th)
Bulldogs (1st)
Eels (7th)
Titans (10th)

DIEHARD
03-06-14, 07:14 PM
No doubt that Penrith are a good side but that have had a pretty easy draw. Here are the teams they have beaten:
Raiders x2 (14th)
Knights x2 (15th)
Bulldogs (1st)
Eels (7th)
Titans (10th)

Good point Titan4Life

Mexican titan
03-06-14, 08:58 PM
My missus doesn't know much about footy even though she has come to games with me for a couple of years. However she heard the team on the tv news and straight away asked where is Don and why is Mead not the fullback. She then went on a rant about the team being structured to just fit Zillman in.
I think she expected me to argue with her but I had no answers.

nimud
03-06-14, 09:08 PM
Raiders x2 (14th)
Knights x2 (15th)
Bulldogs (1st)
Eels (7th)
Titans (10th)

I think we are due. Players have been trying hard without the key cattle on the park. Bird, Myles & Albert back's a BIG boost. Penrith are not much chop.

Geez I hope Roberts gets a run. If not this week, it's got to be soon.

Zillman getting run around the other week was enough for me to see that not even his supposed speed is a valid reason to have him in 1st grade.

Hail Sezer
03-06-14, 09:11 PM
My missus doesn't know much about footy even though she has come to games with me for a couple of years. However she heard the team on the tv news and straight away asked where is Don and why is Mead not the fullback. She then went on a rant about the team being structured to just fit Zillman in.
I think she expected me to argue with her but I had no answers.

I hope you've wifed her

She knows whats up

TITAN PETE
03-06-14, 09:16 PM
If u are picking a team on form & performance then the 1st winger chosen is Don , if Zillman is playing fullback then that leaves one spot for either Mead or Gordon & that's a no contest Gordon tries his luck for Burleigh, Roberts has to play & start put Taka back to the bench with Minichello going back to Tweed....that team beats Penrith..

Blade07
03-06-14, 10:54 PM
Interesting to see that roberts prefers centre a lot more than wing so hopefully he can get a run

DIEHARD
04-06-14, 01:12 PM
http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2014/06/04/1226942/824855-75449b26-eb90-11e3-82c4-4cab92387936.jpg

A GUT feeling from Gold Coast coach John Cartwright could see speedster James Roberts pitched into his Titans debut against the latest club to sack him.

Roberts has been named 18th man for Saturday’s clash against in-form Penrith at Cbus Super Stadium.

The 21-year-old could be the fastest player in the NRL but has only shown glimpses of what he’s capable of in his three appearances for Tweed Heads since returning from a serious ankle injury.

But Cartwright has seen enough in the lightning-quick back to possibly hand him his first Titans jersey against the club that sacked him in March for off-field issues.

Roberts had previously been booted by South Sydney for similar problems and has only played 16 NRL games since debuting in 2011.

Wingers Kalifa Faifai Loa and Anthony Don have been omitted from the squad and Cartwright said he was yet to decide if he would blood *Roberts.

“He’s very close but he’s only had the three games back at Q-Cup level,” he said.

“He’s handled those really well but sometimes you’ve got to go with your gut and we’ll do that when we get closer to the game.

“We’ll discuss it between now and Saturday.”

It would be a major roll of the dice if Cartwright played Roberts given the versatile talent has shown he’s short of a gallop with Tweed. He’s rotated between the wing, centre and fullback for the Seagulls and while he’s had some good touches, his involvement still isn’t at the level it needs to be.

Roberts has been highly rated since his schoolboys days but hasn’t been able to turn that into consistent NRL form and Cartwright said he hoped expectations weren’t high.

“He was a bit of a boom youngster but the fact is he’s only played a handful of first- grade games,” Cartwright said.

“We certainly don’t expect a lot of him and we want to make sure the timing’s right for him to go into the side.”

The Titans have a history of turning former bad boys into NRL stars with Greg Bird, Nate Myles and Albert Kelly flourishing at the club.

Roberts has tried to keep a low profile since arriving on the Gold Coast and his *manager, Daryl Mather, said he always had ambitions of playing for the club.

“He’s enjoying the move immensely,” Mather said.

Kelly will return to the team at half-back and partner Maurice Blair in the halves.

The versatile Blair has been chosen ahead of Beau Henry and Cartwright said it was a tough decision.

Myles and Paul Carter were again quarantined from the squad yesterday as they battle illness

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/

Titanic
04-06-14, 07:24 PM
Anyne considering who will mark Mansour? I know it's Mead's wing but he will need help, a lot of help.

teke
04-06-14, 08:14 PM
Anyne considering who will mark Mansour? I know it's Mead's wing but he will need help, a lot of help.wingers don't run at wingers very often, they are usually impacted by centres. Mansour is a one trick pony, just kick the ball in his direction and watch him melt

K2G
04-06-14, 11:11 PM
Titans find Tighe that binds

By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent
NRL.com (http://www.nrl.com/titans-find-tighe-that-binds/tabid/10874/newsid/79081/default.aspx)
5:30pm Wed 04th June, 2014

http://www.nrl.com/Portals/NRL/images/37/37604_20_1.jpg

The Titans are on the verge of handing their finals aspirations to a group of outcasts who have become united in their bid to prove to the NRL that their talents will not go to waste.

Halfback Albert Kelly was the first of the quartet to arrive on the Gold Coast in late 2012 having been sacked by both Cronulla and Newcastle while James Roberts was handed a lifeline in March after failed stints at both South Sydney and Penrith.

Maurice Blair was the most high-profile signing of the Titans' off-season but found himself on the wrong side of the law before even playing his first game for the club and Brad Tighe was whisked onto the first Virgin Australia flight out of Sydney headed for the Gold Coast in a trade-type deal to get Jamal Idris back closer to his family in western Sydney.

Tighe played alongside Blair at Penrith in 2008-2009 and formed a close friendship with Roberts last year and along with Kelly the quartet have formed an almost inseparable bond both on and off the field.

Although daughter Ella consumes much of his spare time, Tighe often tries to instigate catch-ups over coffee and says all four are excited at the prospect of playing in first grade together, perhaps as early as Saturday night.

Named as 18th man, Roberts trained at both left and right centre during Wednesday's team run as he nears his maiden appearance for the Titans and Tighe believes the bond they share will transfer to even better performances on the field.

"With James and Maurice Blair and Alby we've grown pretty close since we've been up here and developed a bit of a relationship," Tighe said ahead of facing his former club for the first time.

"We've grown to be good mates here and that's what we want to do, we want to play at the highest level and play together so if we get that opportunity and a chance to do it I think we're going to love it.

"You need that, you need that bond and friendship so you can have that sort of trust on the field and I think up here they've definitely got it.

"A lot of the boys have that mateship away from footy so we trust each other on the field and it shows every week with how we work for each other."

A shoulder injury suffered in Round 5 against Melbourne meant that Tighe didn't make the trip back to Penrith in Round 7 so he is excited at the prospect of seeing some faces who were teammates on January 7 and then opposition players 24 hours later.

He left his home in Penrith at 4am on January 8 in order to make a Titans fitness session that morning and has quickly become an important senior player at the club.

"He's a fantastic senior player," said Titans coach John Cartwright. "As professional as any guy you would ever see. Unfortunate that he's been injured with us down in Melbourne, he was just starting to find his feet, scored a couple of tries, defensively very sound but he's certainly a player that other guys can learn off.

"He's been great for James Roberts; they're very close from their days at Penrith and a leader. That's what we brought him here for and he's given us all that."

Thirty-year-old Tighe saw first-hand over the past 12 months the development of precocious talents in Roberts and Panthers fullback Matt Moylan. Hopeful of having Roberts coming off a five-man bench to join him in the Titans' starting team, Tighe pointed to Moylan as the man Gold Coast have to find a way to contain on Saturday night.

"I knew what sort of talent he was and it was only a matter of time before he got in there and became a regular first-grader," Tighe said of Moylan, with whom he was close friends during his time at Penrith.

"[His rise] wasn't unexpected at all. He's going to go on to bigger and better things and I think he might play Origin the next couple of years if he keeps going.

"He can pop up anywhere, he can ball-play, he can kick so we've got to be good on our kick-chase, get down and get numbers in and dominate those early tackles with him.

"It's a big job for us on the weekend; he's going to keep us on our toes."

Both the Titans and Panthers have surprised many pundits with their various stints near the top of the table in the first half of the season but Tighe insists that there is work being done at Penrith that will make them a force for many years to come.

During the week the club announced the re-signing of Josh Mansour and the signing of Rabbitohs hooker Apisai Koroisau and can solidify their place in the top four with a win over Gold Coast.

"I know how hard they work down there and what sort of stuff gets done behind the scenes so they're going to be a force to be reckoned with in the next couple of years and even this year," he said.

"They're starting to play some good footy and we've got to be on our game this week and playing our best footy to beat them."

Titanic
05-06-14, 10:17 AM
wingers don't run at wingers very often, they are usually impacted by centres. Mansour is a one trick pony, just kick the ball in his direction and watch him melt
I very much hope you're right.

DIEHARD
05-06-14, 02:16 PM
Gold Coast Titans forward Nate Myles declares himself a “certain starter” in the team’s showdown against the Panthers this weekend

A BATTERED and bruised Nate Myles has declared himself a certain starter against the Panthers and tipped fellow co-captain Greg Bird to dominate in his return to action.

Myles has been in the wars recently, copping a nasty knock to his left hand in State of Origin I last week before coming down with a virus.

He hasn’t hit the paddock since starring in Queensland’s loss to NSW and will run on to Cbus Super Stadium on Saturday with his hand heavily strapped.

“I was crook the other day. I came down with something Saturday but I’m all good now,” Myles said. “The hand was a bit swollen after (Origin) but it’s better now.

“It’s come back down to normal size and I’m starting to get some strength back in it which is good.

“I don’t know (what happened to it). I have no idea. I could feel it early in the first half and it blew up after that.

“There’s nothing major (wrong with it). I don’t think it’s going to repair quickly but I think it’ll be all right to play. It’s just a management thing.”

Myles was Queensland’s best forward in Game One, running for over 120m and making 26 tackles in the four-point loss.

His return to the Titans will be welcome as the club *attempts to snap a three-game losing streak against the NRL’s in-form team.

Bird will also return to the fold alongside half-back Albert Kelly while speedster James Roberts is a strong chance of making his Titans debut.

Bird missed the past two losses as well as NSW’s gutsy win due to suspension and Myles said he was expecting a big-game from the Blues *certainty.

“Birds’s due for a big performance to give him some confidence before they pick him again in the Blues side,” he said.

“That’s the way Birdy is.

“He’s not going to feel like he owes anyone but he’s going to want to go out and play some great footy. I’m sure he’ll do everything he can to do that.”

The Titans were equal leaders after eight rounds before hitting a bad patch of form.

They’ve lost key personnel in the past few weeks, including five-eighth Aidan Sezer for at least three months, and Myles said he wanted to see the Gold Coast return to their early-season form.

“We’re down a few troops but the last few weeks our football hasn’t been fantastic,” he said. “We need to get our heads back up and play some constructive footy.”

The Panthers are on a three-game winning streak and are sitting second on the ladder.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/nrl

teke
05-06-14, 02:19 PM
I very much hope you're right.In saying that Im not expecting a win, and Mansour should get a double :laugh:

DIEHARD
05-06-14, 02:22 PM
Strange to face nephew: Titans NRL coach

Penrith youngster Bryce Cartwright could find himself off his uncle John's Christmas card list if he delivers a starring role for the Panthers on Saturday.

The 19-year-old back-rower made his NRL debut in the Panthers' 38-12 win over Parramatta last week and will travel north to take on John Cartwright's Gold Coast outfit in Robina.

John, a premiership-winning forward with the Panthers, admits it seems odd coaching against his brother David's son, who he remembers mostly as a little boy running around in the backyard.

"It is a strange feeling," Cartwright said.

"They've done a great job with him actually. They haven't rushed him in; they've given him plenty of time to find his feet.

"On Saturday, he'll be just another guy in a black jumper but, after the game, I might either punch him or cuddle him. We'll have to wait and see."

John said he was impressed by Bryce's confidence in his NRL debut, and said he showed a dangerous ability to find a way to offload the football.

That victory over the Eels lifted the in-form Panthers to second on the ladder with seven wins from 11 matches.

The Titans' coach says a lot of that has to do with the kicking options provided by new halves combination Peter Wallace and Jamie Soward.

"They're taking advantage of probably the best kicking game in the competition with Wallace and Soward," John said.

"They don't seem to be doing much but you look at the scoreboard and they're 18-20 points in front. I dare say they think they can improve a lot.

"We've got to try and nullify their opportunities with that kicking game ... we've just got to be desperate.

http://sport.msn.co.nz/

DIEHARD
06-06-14, 01:39 AM
Gold Coast Titans v Penrith Panthers

Cbus Super Stadium, Robina, Saturday 5.30pm (AEST)

Last meeting: Round 7 2014 - Panthers 14 bt Titans 12 at Sportingbet Stadium

Head-to-head: Titans 4 Panthers 6

Referees: Matt Cecchin, Grant Atkins

TV: Live, FoxSports 1

Ladbrokes: Titans $2.15, Panthers $1.70

Betfair: Titans $2.24, Panthers $1.78

Michael Chammas writes: If results go their way, Penrith could be on top of the table with a win against the Titans. They've won three in a row but this will be their biggest test. This will be close but the Panthers might just scrape home.

Tip: Panthers by 1

AAP writes: An intriguing clash between the two season surprise packets. Penrith are deservedly sitting second and, unaffected by Origin, they can almost cement a finals berth over this period. After their early-season march to the top of the ladder, the Titans desperately need a win after last week's bye was preceded by three successive losses. Penrith enjoyed an easy kill against a Hayne-less Eels - this will be a sterner test. The Titans welcome back Greg Bird, Nate Myles, Kevin Gordon, Albert Kelly and Brad Takairangi, while the Panthers are unchanged. Penrith defeated the Titans 14-12 in an gritty round-seven clash.

Key: Bird is back and, make no mistake, he will be angry. Hopefully, for NSW's sake, that will be controlled aggression.
TITANS: William Zillman, Kevin Gordon, Brad Tighe, Brad Takairangi, David Mead, Maurice Blair, Albert Kelly, Luke Douglas, Matt Srama, Nate Myles (capt), Greg Bird (capt), David Taylor, Ben Ridge. Interchange: Matthew White, Luke Bailey, Mark Minichiello, Paul Carter, James Roberts (one to be omitted).

PANTHERS: Matt Moylan, Josh Mansour, Dean Whare, Isaah Yeo, David Simmons, Jamie Soward, Peter Wallace, Sam Mckendry, James Segeyaro, Brent Kite, Sika Manu, Tyrone Peachey, Elijah Taylor. Interchange: Lewis Brown, Jeremy Latimore, Nigel Plum, Bryce Cartwright.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-match-preview/gold-coast-titans-v-penrith-panthers-20140605-zrz6h.html#ixzz33mOn0CK1

Mexican titan
06-06-14, 08:19 AM
Its quite strange leading up to this game for me. On one hand I am furious about the Mead situation and the way the club is going and on the other hand I have now got the halves comination that I wanted to see and quite looking forward to the game.
If I just accept that the club is schizophrenic I could handle it all a lot better.:drinkies:

DavidBouveng
06-06-14, 08:49 AM
In saying that Im not expecting a win, and Mansour should get a double :laugh:

ill be captaining him in Supercoach!

DIEHARD
06-06-14, 03:09 PM
Late Mail: Titans v Panthers

Titans: James Roberts could make his club debut after being named 18th man. Nate Myles, Albert Kelly, Kevin Gordon and Brad Takairangi all return from injury.

Panthers: James Segeyaro and Sam McKendry are in some doubt with ankle injuries, while Dean Whare is battling a cork. Kevin Kingston could be a late inclusion after overcoming his foot injury.

DIEHARD
06-06-14, 04:29 PM
We spoke to Elijah Taylor earlier in the week about what was the most impressive aspect of last week's victory, the great crowd and what we are up against when we face the Gold Coast Titans tomorrow night.

<script height="349px" width="620px" src="http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.js#pbid=fd5fc71d2bcc4b60a622cf8d3348d605&ec=BxNzA3bjoGUME1oTcM9gzX1vBnYgrsq0"></script>

Skyfire
06-06-14, 04:53 PM
This is going to be a good match up. A lot on the line or up for grabs for both clubs. I do tip the Titans to win with the return of Kelly, Blair at 5/8th.

Mexican titan
06-06-14, 06:00 PM
This is going to be a good match up. A lot on the line or up for grabs for both clubs. I do tip the Titans to win with the return of Kelly, Blair at 5/8th.

Lets hope you are right. These are the halves that many of us wanted. Failure tomorrow and it's all over for this year I'm afraid. Hopefully we win and Zilly has a lousy game and forces a change at fullback. Win win.

Blade07
06-06-14, 06:17 PM
Anyone have any insight on the final team
Anyone went down to training or anything

TITAN PETE
07-06-14, 06:34 AM
Titans on alert for 'little' Bryce
By Tony Webeck & Matt Encarnacion
NRL.com
6:00am Sat 07th June, 2014

Many rugby league fans wouldn't even be aware that Bryce Cartwright made his NRL debut last weekend.

Casual Panther supporters who tuned in last Friday night will have been impressed at their first look of the tall back-rower with a penchant for an offload while die-hard Penrith fans will have been salivating at the prospect of the raw-boned rookie making good on the promise he has displayed in the junior grades coming through the system.

For Titans coach John Cartwright, it was a whole new view of a nephew he remembers most as older brother David's kid running around in the family backyard back in Penrith.

If his introduction to the top grade against Parramatta was anything to go by, Cartwright will cause throbbing migraines for opposition defensive coaches for the next decade and Uncle John concedes the thought of shutting him down on Saturday night is a surreal one.

"It is a strange feeling. You remember your kids as babies and running around the backyard and that's my memories of Bryce, but he's obviously a lot bigger than that now," Cartwright said.

"He's dangerous. He's got offloads in him and he plays both sides of the field. He didn't show any lack of confidence coming in, I think the first couple of times he touched the ball he got offloads away and he poked his nose down the left side of the field and the right side of the field. It's a bit of an ominous sign for an opposition when a young guy can go in and be that confident.

"On Saturday he'll be just another guy in a black jumper but after the game I might punch him or cuddle him, we'll have to wait and see."

For 19-year-old Bryce, it will be a continuation of a dream start to his NRL career that began with Panthers and Roosters legend Brad Fittler presenting him with his maiden first grade jersey.

A New South Wales under-16s and under-18s representative, he conceded that carrying the Cartwright name at Penrith does bring with it additional pressures but said his father – who played five first grade games for the Panthers in 1980-81 – gave him some words of advice that held him in good stead.

"Yeah, I felt a lot of pressure. Everyone expected a lot from me. But I tried to just block that out and play my own game," Bryce said after his debut game that included three offloads.

"My dad just said, 'Don’t go into your shell, just treat it like any other game' and I felt I did that.

"When I was a kid I went for the Roosters because Freddy (Fittler) was my favourite player. I only went for Freddy.

"He came into the sheds before the game and wished me luck. It’s just crazy for him to do that. It’s surreal. I didn't know what to say when he looked at me or shook my hand. It was crazy."

It will be much the same feeling for John when he pores over video to devise a game-plan to shut down his own nephew but he was full of praise for the way Panthers officials have managed Bryce's ascension to the grade.

Still eligible for the under-20s competition, calls grew loud last year when Penrith were out of finals contention for the youngster to be given a taste of first grade but John commended the club for the way they have brought him along.

"They've done a great job with him actually," John said. "They haven't rushed him in, they've given him plenty of time to find his feet through the first division at Penrith and he's gone through every level and done well.

"The opportunity the other night was a good time to blood him as well, with a big home crowd, home game. It's always nice to be able to give a guy the easiest possible pathway because it is a tough thing to do and he came through that with flying colours."

It was a 32-minute cameo at the back-end of a game the Panthers had well under control but it was enough to also grab the attention of Titans co-captain Greg Bird.

"I've noticed that," Bird said when told of his love of an offload. "I watched him play in the under-20s grand final last year and he's a good young player.

"Not sure where he's going to be playing, on the left edge, right edge or middle but I'm sure I'll come up in front of him at some stage during the game."

And when he does, that will be some welcome to first grade.

- - - Updated - - -

Titans on alert for 'little' Bryce
By Tony Webeck & Matt Encarnacion
NRL.com
6:00am Sat 07th June, 2014

Many rugby league fans wouldn't even be aware that Bryce Cartwright made his NRL debut last weekend.

Casual Panther supporters who tuned in last Friday night will have been impressed at their first look of the tall back-rower with a penchant for an offload while die-hard Penrith fans will have been salivating at the prospect of the raw-boned rookie making good on the promise he has displayed in the junior grades coming through the system.

For Titans coach John Cartwright, it was a whole new view of a nephew he remembers most as older brother David's kid running around in the family backyard back in Penrith.

If his introduction to the top grade against Parramatta was anything to go by, Cartwright will cause throbbing migraines for opposition defensive coaches for the next decade and Uncle John concedes the thought of shutting him down on Saturday night is a surreal one.

"It is a strange feeling. You remember your kids as babies and running around the backyard and that's my memories of Bryce, but he's obviously a lot bigger than that now," Cartwright said.

"He's dangerous. He's got offloads in him and he plays both sides of the field. He didn't show any lack of confidence coming in, I think the first couple of times he touched the ball he got offloads away and he poked his nose down the left side of the field and the right side of the field. It's a bit of an ominous sign for an opposition when a young guy can go in and be that confident.

"On Saturday he'll be just another guy in a black jumper but after the game I might punch him or cuddle him, we'll have to wait and see."

For 19-year-old Bryce, it will be a continuation of a dream start to his NRL career that began with Panthers and Roosters legend Brad Fittler presenting him with his maiden first grade jersey.

A New South Wales under-16s and under-18s representative, he conceded that carrying the Cartwright name at Penrith does bring with it additional pressures but said his father – who played five first grade games for the Panthers in 1980-81 – gave him some words of advice that held him in good stead.

"Yeah, I felt a lot of pressure. Everyone expected a lot from me. But I tried to just block that out and play my own game," Bryce said after his debut game that included three offloads.

"My dad just said, 'Don’t go into your shell, just treat it like any other game' and I felt I did that.

"When I was a kid I went for the Roosters because Freddy (Fittler) was my favourite player. I only went for Freddy.

"He came into the sheds before the game and wished me luck. It’s just crazy for him to do that. It’s surreal. I didn't know what to say when he looked at me or shook my hand. It was crazy."

It will be much the same feeling for John when he pores over video to devise a game-plan to shut down his own nephew but he was full of praise for the way Panthers officials have managed Bryce's ascension to the grade.

Still eligible for the under-20s competition, calls grew loud last year when Penrith were out of finals contention for the youngster to be given a taste of first grade but John commended the club for the way they have brought him along.

"They've done a great job with him actually," John said. "They haven't rushed him in, they've given him plenty of time to find his feet through the first division at Penrith and he's gone through every level and done well.

"The opportunity the other night was a good time to blood him as well, with a big home crowd, home game. It's always nice to be able to give a guy the easiest possible pathway because it is a tough thing to do and he came through that with flying colours."

It was a 32-minute cameo at the back-end of a game the Panthers had well under control but it was enough to also grab the attention of Titans co-captain Greg Bird.

"I've noticed that," Bird said when told of his love of an offload. "I watched him play in the under-20s grand final last year and he's a good young player.

"Not sure where he's going to be playing, on the left edge, right edge or middle but I'm sure I'll come up in front of him at some stage during the game."

And when he does, that will be some welcome to first grade.

Titanic
07-06-14, 12:55 PM
Don't get the game until 11.30 tonight so will be in isolation until then … Go Titans!

DIEHARD
07-06-14, 02:12 PM
Leap of faith puts rebuilt Penrith Panthers on terra firma

His tenure as Panthers Group chief executive was only a few days old when Warren Wilson was tapped on the shoulder by a group that wanted the $95 million it was owed by Penrith.

It was as bad as bad could get.

The club did not need mere fixing, it needed to be rebuilt.

The football club was operating out of the 1990s, and the culture had become toxic as players had taken control of the reins from coaching staff.

Both on and off the field, the club had overpaid for its assets in an attempt to solve growing problems, but it just dug itself deeper into a dark hole.

Panthers was on the brink of insolvency – days away from liquidation.

Now it has an $850 million redevelopment project that is part of a 10-year plan to turn the club into the No.1 sporting organisation in the country.

"When I came here, our profits were just enough to keep our heads above water," Wilson said.

"We were barely paying our interest. Our EBITDA (earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation) on a like for like basis was $4.6 million when I arrived. In 2013, we did $14.2 million and this year we're tracking for $19.2 million, which is up around 400 per cent."

In the process of rebuilding the rugby league club, they had to contend with a backlash from passionate supporters over the club's treatment of some of its biggest names.

There was doubt over the direction it was headed in and whether the men in charge knew what was best for Penrith, but they have increased membership by 131 per cent since last year.

Their team entered round 13 in second position, but given the reluctance on the part of general manager Phil Gould and coach Ivan Cleary to talk about how much the club has achieved in just over two years, it's a fair indication that no one inside the joint is patting each other on the back just yet.

"We knew we'd lose the fans for a little while, but it wasn't a concern," Wilson said of the disgruntled fans who disagreed with the club's decision to part ways with Luke Lewis, Michael Jennings, Lachlan Coote and Michael Gordon.

"We knew that we were going to take a few hits and get beaten up. However what was going on publicly didn't bother us because we knew what we were doing in the back rooms. We just had to stay the course. The good thing about Gus (Phil Gould), the board, Ivan Cleary and myself is that no one faltered. No one wavered or panicked. We just kept digging knowing we'd eventually get there.

"What they had done in a business sense here at Penrith was exactly what they had done in a football sense. They'd gone and overpaid for assets, ie footballers, thinking that it was going to solve a problem but it actually created the problem in that a substantial portion of the salary cap was spent on a very few number of players. In the meantime they had turned their back on the juniors, so we came up with the plan to build from within."

The first stage of the rebuilding process was finding a coach with the stamina to withstand what would soon become an exercise in management as much as it was coaching a rugby league team.

They needed someone who shared their vision, someone who wasn't afraid of getting his hands dirty, but at the same time was not going to abandon the mission halfway through when it looked like the grass was greener elsewhere.

Cleary was the obvious choice, but it almost never happened because Gould got cold feet about throwing his close friend into a job that would not only consume his life, but also constantly force him to second guess his decision to take the role.

"Gus is famous for having offered Ivan the job and then going back to us and basically saying 'I can't bring him here, the poor bugger is going to be in the trenches'," Wilson said.

"Ivan was told that on day one and knew what he was in for and accepted that it would be a tough challenge. Regardless of where we finish this year, Ivan can hold his head up high ... he has put a good team around him and he's a seriously good person.

"We knew him to be a good family man. We know that if you google Ivan Cleary, you won't find any rubbish written. We know he's astute in the way he approaches the game and we knew he'd be a good coach."

From day one, Cleary took a get on or get lost approach with his players, which has culminated in almost 30 players leaving the club under his watch since 2012.

He's never been a fan of the superstar – no one is bigger than the team.

The adage that a champion team is better than a team of champions is a philosophy Cleary adheres by, which is why the Panthers were the only Australian-based team in the NRL without a player in Origin I.

He has brought in some hard-nosed footballers, premiership winners, veterans and leaders of men to help change the culture at the club.

"It was chaotic," Wilson said.

"Players were effectively picking the team before Ivan arrived. You can't have your kids in charge of the household, there's got to be a bit of discipline around and there wasn't any. We were poor in every measure. We were poor in how we approached it, in how we staffed it, our facilities ... everything was poor and the joint was in bad shape.

"So we just went methodically about bringing ourselves up to what we consider to be a modern sporting team. We're not there yet, but we're getting closer."

Like Canberra are experiencing at the moment, the Panthers too had trouble attracting talent to the foot of the mountains for a range of reasons.

However, the appointment of Gould as executive general manager of football has paved the way for the likes of Jamal Idris, Jamie Soward, Elijah Taylor, Peter Wallace, Dean Whare and Sika Manu to don the Panthers jersey under his watch.

He's the club's No.1 recruitment tool whose rugby league pedigree has proven difficult for many players to knock back.

"My nickname for Gus is the Pied Piper – people follow Gus and we're finding that players want to come here and be part of our group," Wilson said.

"He's absolutely huge for our recruitment. I tell Gus that I'm happy to invest money on what he wants, as long as I get a return – and I'm getting it. Josh Mansour didn't want to leave us.

"A couple of years ago we couldn't get people to come here, now they don't want to leave us. The boys are coming out and saying that they are happy, and that's half your battle. When you have to dig in, that comes to the fore because blokes are saying 'hang on, that's my mate over there I have to give him a hand'."

When Wilson and Gould first came together, they visited most rival clubs in search of answers and ideas.

Fans measure success by the number of premierships won; however the Panthers insist they have adopted the Broncos theory of basing success on consistently qualifying for finals football.

While they are a long way off from their 10-year plan, they are not afraid to dream big.

"We can be one of the best clubs in the country, not just in rugby league, but I'm talking all codes in 10 years time," Wilson said.

"When we got here, we went around and had a look at everyone else's operations, and Gus and I were dragging our backsides along the ground saying 'wow, we're such a far way away'. What I want in five years' time is people coming to us saying 'you're now the benchmark, how do we get to you?' In 10 years, we want to be the best. Nothing's out of reach. We're aspirational and we want Penrith to be aspirational with us."

SINCE IVAN CLEARY TOOK OVER IN 2012

OUT
Mitch Achurch
Chris Armit
Blake Austin
Travis Burns
Cameron Ciraldo
Lachlan Coote
Geoff Daniela
Sandor Earl
Tom Eisenhuth
Danny Galea
Michael Gordon
Michael Jennings
Luke Lewis
Clint Newton
Travis Robinson
Harry Seijka
Nafe Seluini
Shane Shackleton
Arana Taumata
Brad Tighe
Etuate Uaisele
Luke Walsh
Dayne Weston
Mose Masoe
James Roberts

IN
Lewis Brown
Isaac John
Jeremy Latimore
Sika Manu
Wes Naiqama
James Segeyaro
Dean Whare
Jamal Idris
Brent Kite
Kevin Naiqama
Tyrone Peachey
Will Smith
Jamie Soward
Elijah Taylor
Peter Wallace
Sam Anderson
Tom Humble

STAYED
Adam Docker
Nigel Plum
Tim Grant
Kevin Kingston,
Sam McKendry
Josh Mansour
David Simmons
Matt Robinson
Ryan Simpkins
Nathan Smith

JUNIORS WHO CAME THROUGH TO NRL
Matt Moylan
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
Isaah Yeo
Bryce Cartwright

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league

Titanic
07-06-14, 04:18 PM
I wonder what our list of comings and goings since 2010 looks like?

DIEHARD
07-06-14, 05:10 PM
T minus 20mins until kick off.

DIEHARD
07-06-14, 05:22 PM
Not looking like a big crowd there.

DIEHARD
07-06-14, 05:23 PM
Good to see Albert Kelly warming up with the team. I have faith!

Hoping and expecting a big game from David Taylor. Hoping he busts into the Maroons too.

DIEHARD
07-06-14, 05:30 PM
Looks like Russell Crowe's drummers have invaded Robina Stadium.

teke
07-06-14, 05:42 PM
Zillllllololololololololol

DIEHARD
07-06-14, 05:43 PM
I went away and we are 6-0? What happened?

teke
07-06-14, 05:45 PM
I went away and we are 6-0? What happened?segs just strolled past zillolololololol

DIEHARD
07-06-14, 05:51 PM
Good work Douglas, does it himself, carrying more than a few Panthers over the line.

We had to score sooner or later with that amount of possession, fortunately we did.

All locked up 6-6 with Gordon converting.

Titan4Life
segs just strolled past zillolololololol

Pathetic by Zillman but also Myles and Douglas for letting him past. Shocking start :(

- - - Updated - - -

What a run! Douglas barges over from penalty tap!
6-4 KTC

DIEHARD
LOL kick off out on the full. LOL Panthers.

DIEHARD
07-06-14, 05:52 PM
Kelly is down...

DIEHARD
07-06-14, 05:53 PM
We got the penalty, he seems to be ok.

Going for goal.

K2G
07-06-14, 05:59 PM
mead 1 on 1 tackle of mansour! he is outplaying zilly from the wing. hard.

DIEHARD
07-06-14, 06:07 PM
Didn't Mead get interfered with as he went for it?

Titan4Life
07-06-14, 06:11 PM
How was that a no try! Wtf are the refs f***ed in the head???

- - - Updated - - -

And penrith score off the back of a stupid decision :mad:
12-8 Penrith lead

DIEHARD
07-06-14, 06:11 PM
I thought it was going to be a try.

Panthers in. Actually an attractive try, when they sweep it right through a few sets of hands.

Titan4Life
07-06-14, 06:17 PM
Mead cruelly robbed of a try. Apparently over the touch line but replay shows he wasn't. Could a been a contender for try of the season.

amaline
07-06-14, 06:19 PM
Looks like mead might have been out before he caught the ball.

DIEHARD
07-06-14, 06:20 PM
Soward the cat tries to take out Albert but ****s himself up.

Skyfire
07-06-14, 06:21 PM
Come on Tits, score before HT

Titan4Life
07-06-14, 06:25 PM
I can't watch this much longer. These refs are ruining this game. Zillman no try was easily a try, David Mead was in at all times and that was not a strip. How hard is it to ref this bloody game. FFS

Boonarga
07-06-14, 06:29 PM
Just went back and replayed Mead. Not clear but it looks like he stepped out just before getting the ball. I think he dropped it anyway.
How good is Carter! I want this kid playing 80.

Titan4Life
07-06-14, 06:50 PM
We are making the yards but last tackle options been average.

- - - Updated - - -

Panthers score through Yeo. Too strong and powerful for Mead.
18-8

Skyfire
07-06-14, 06:50 PM
I think this game is turning against us... We must strike back next.

Titan4Life
07-06-14, 06:56 PM
Hats off to Taylor. Been working hard tonight.

- - - Updated - - -

Omg Bird haven't you learnt that you still have to expect to catch the ball as a decoy. Terrible option by Kelly though, not at his best this game.

K2G
07-06-14, 06:56 PM
we have not improved one bit in attack since rd 1. lots of heart, no cohesion.

Boonarga
07-06-14, 06:57 PM
Kelly needs to be pulled. He's not right.

Titan4Life
07-06-14, 07:02 PM
We are throwing this game away. What was that Myles??

- - - Updated - - -

Did anyone else see that knock on by the Panthers while playing the ball??

- - - Updated - - -

What a tackle by Carter, great player.

teke
07-06-14, 07:04 PM
What a horrible set from titans leading to peacheys try.

Suck **** carty

Titan4Life
07-06-14, 07:04 PM
Just as I com plenty him he plays silly. Last tackle and he passes to a forward wtf????
22-8 we are finished

hatchy84
07-06-14, 07:05 PM
I really ****ing hate our coach oh and zillion

lonegull
07-06-14, 07:05 PM
Why is Kelly still on the field, another great coaching decision by Carty
Well tonight I have to say the titans are a disgrace absolute joke Dave Taylor is an exception he has played well again tonight

Titan4Life
07-06-14, 07:07 PM
Can't blame tonight's loss on anyone in particular. Bird and Myles our captains have done nothing, Gordon needs to be dropped and Kelly is underdone.

Titanic Believer
07-06-14, 07:08 PM
Only a masochist would continue to endure the Titans!

DIEHARD
07-06-14, 07:10 PM
Too good, too fast. Mead scores. Beautiful.

Titan4Life
07-06-14, 07:17 PM
Good try Mead. Should be our freaking fullback!!
24-14 Panthers. Please pull out a miracle Titans!

- - - Updated - - -

Damn Taylor loses it and reverses his good work.

- - - Updated - - -

What the hell. Who takes the tap and offloads on first. This team is becoming the laughing stock of the comp.

Jonathonbcode
07-06-14, 07:18 PM
Why the **** is Zillman the fullback? ****ING HELL

gotitans101_
07-06-14, 07:20 PM
Why is Kelly still on the field?

teke
07-06-14, 07:21 PM
The end is so near for carty it's great

DIEHARD
OK now we are being humiliated. 36-14

I honestly didn't predict a blow out. Not many positives to take from it.

Titan4Life
Why the **** is Zillman the fullback? ****ING HELL

Agree but not just Zilly that lost us the game. Kelly is nowhere near recovered from his injury. No one played good tonight unfourtunately.

hatchy84
07-06-14, 07:23 PM
Let's organize a rally like the dragons and get him sacled

- - - Updated - - -

meant Sacked

Titan4Life
07-06-14, 07:27 PM
Let's organize a rally like the dragons and get him sacled

- - - Updated - - -

meant Sacked

We should do this. Had enough of watching a side that looks like they haven't trained. Honestly it looks like someone has taken people off the street and put them together. Carty needs to go. 8 years at the top and he has not done anything to help us.

- - - Updated - - -

But seriously we need to rally against Carty. Talking on here won't do anything. They probably don't even read this forum.

hatchy84
07-06-14, 07:28 PM
Next home game we could get 1000s paste it all over social media

Titan4Life

I really hope it is the end very soon for Carty.

teke
Titans left side almost unsighted, a side that contains Greg bird, seriously wtf....bird should be touching the ball once every set in the middle of the park

nimud
07-06-14, 07:29 PM

Geez I hope you are right. I can't see it happening though.

Zillman is as slow as a wet weak. Piss him off, and the coach too. Fed up with having a Great team on paper, and no wins, no finals, and no decent footy played week in week out.

Titan4Life
07-06-14, 07:30 PM
Next home game we could get 1000s paste it all over social media

Yep bring signs to games, rally outside stadium and post #sackcarty all over Facebook/Twitter. Do whatever gets us a result which is Carty being sacked.

Supergoose
07-06-14, 07:38 PM
Super frustrated at that game. The Panthers out hussled us and that's not okay, ever. We had no luck in the first half and should've gone into the sheds a fair way in front. The Panthers tactics of kicking bombs from where they do are excellent as no protection can be afforded to the fullback, but our hussle to negate the tap back from Moylan on more than one occasion just wasn't there.

With the bad luck we were getting we needed to show composure which was sadly missing. Blair was pretty good as was Takairangi and Taylor. Kelly was a massive liability and obviously injured. Carter needs to play lock while Harrison is out although Ridge had a strong start (did he come back?).

It looked like the Panthers for long periods just did whatever they wanted. They competed harder than we did. Cartwrights tenure must be under serious review now as his love affair for Zillman may have cost us victory tonight.

DavidBouveng
07-06-14, 07:39 PM
sooo that was a nice dose of reality.

lets hit the highlights:

*Zillman is a steaming mess. cant really pass, runs poor lines and has no speed.cant kick for nuts either. messed up a certain try by knocking on at least twice, and if one didnt know better would wonder if he had seen a rugby league ball before watching the way he tried to gather it in.

*Kelly was poor. wrong options kicking and passing. looked a bit chubby too? too many drinks at East nightclub when injured maybe.

*no one was great, but Taylor, Bailey, Carter tried hard. actually most tried hard in first half, but those guys kept it up.

*meadys no try was a correct call. he was out before he caught it and didnt enter field of playing before receiving it. close but no cigar. If it was hayne or slater i bet they would have gone to video ref though.

*Gordon was half as good as Don has been.

*Was close at stages, but we never had the gameplan to win this. our game plan is score at least one try then aim for some penalties in front of goal.

*Did i mention Zillman is a steaming mess. the behind the play replay of sowards try shows him wandering, walking, wandering well past soward clearing past the defenders (who also were poor for missing him) then only ran once soward was on the fly. Fullback should be on his toes ready for action most of the tie, let alone when someone is coming in your direction. I dont think alot of him, btu he went to new depths tonight. Some has to rescue him cos it cant be fun for him. If he is in the top 4 fullbacks in Q cup id be suprised.

*On the plus side, Carty surely cant endure many more of these losses? will it take a crowd of 500 to do it? on a monday against storm with no origin players? could happen. May he take Zillman with him please.

Ausphin
07-06-14, 07:45 PM
I try not to post during or straight after games when emotions are too raw, otherwise you can get stuff like "drop Kelly back to Qld cup". Really, so Beau Henry is a better option hey. For a team that is severly lacking in attack, we should get rid of our only real spark. Ok.

For those *****ing about Zillman, this teams issues run far greater than him. In my opinion Zillman is a more complete fullback than Mead at the moment (and i am a massive fan of Mead). For all my frustrations with Carty, keeping Zillman at fullback is not even on my radar.

I am as frustrated as anyone with the lack of improvement in attack under Carty over the last 2 years. I really though Neil Henry coming in this year would make some difference but nothing yet. We have nothing when we get inside the opposition 20 and we never seem to be able to mount pressure.

I could be proven wrong, but i would be very suprised if we are not in the bottom 3 for repeat sets from drop-outs.

Taka looks dangerous in attack, but is very poor in defense and makes poor reads. Want to see Roberts in the centres, Taka to the bench and Mini gone.

Titan4Life
07-06-14, 07:48 PM
Should be: Roberts in Gordon out

DIEHARD
07-06-14, 07:51 PM
Should be: Roberts in Gordon out

Don?

Tamwelg
07-06-14, 07:53 PM
Don scored a hat truck in the first half for burleigh today.

DavidBouveng
07-06-14, 07:54 PM
I try not to post during or straight after games when emotions are too raw, otherwise you can get stuff like "drop Kelly back to Qld cup". Really, so Beau Henry is a better option hey. For a team that is severly lacking in attack, we should get rid of our only real spark. Ok.

For those *****ing about Zillman, this teams issues run far greater than him. In my opinion Zillman is a more complete fullback than Mead at the moment (and i am a massive fan of Mead). For all my frustrations with Carty, keeping Zillman at fullback is not even on my radar.

I am as frustrated as anyone with the lack of improvement in attack under Carty over the last 2 years. I really though Neil Henry coming in this year would make some difference but nothing yet. We have nothing when we get inside the opposition 20 and we never seem to be able to mount pressure.

I could be proven wrong, but i would be very suprised if we are not in the bottom 3 for repeat sets from drop-outs.

Taka looks dangerous in attack, but is very poor in defense and makes poor reads. Want to see Roberts in the centres, Taka to the bench and Mini gone.

If hes clearly not fit yes. did you see alot of spark tonight?? you must have damn good eyes man.

as for Zillman, he is the main indicator of what cartys problem is. not knowing feaces for clay. His continued choice of someone who isnt fit for it just craps on other players, ruing a sense of reward for effort or improvement. Carty is picking favourites and not keeping up with the modern game.

Skyfire
07-06-14, 07:58 PM
Where is cartwrights duty of care when playing injured players?

Don seriously scored three? Wow. And cartwright DROPPED him!

teke
07-06-14, 08:00 PM
Zillman was far from the problem tonight but was a few galaxy's away from being A more complete fullback than anyone. He is shot, the towel will be thrown in a few months from now.

Carty is reaping his rewards of mate ship.

Ausphin
07-06-14, 08:01 PM
If hes clearly not fit yes. did you see alot of spark tonight?? you must have damn good eyes man.

as for Zillman, he is the main indicator of what cartys problem is. not knowing feaces for clay. His continued choice of someone who isnt fit for it just craps on other players, ruing a sense of reward for effort or improvement. Carty is picking favourites and not keeping up with the modern game.

Not denying Kelly did not have a good game tonight. Dont think he was unfit, he looked ok early. Think it was more a result of the injury he picked up when tackled without the ball in the 1st half.

Agree to disagree abou Zillman.

DIEHARD
07-06-14, 08:02 PM
Panthers go top with Titans victory

Panthers hooker James Segeyaro celebrates a brilliant individual try during his side's Saturday clash against the Titans.
Penrith will go into the second half of the 2014 Telstra Premiership at the very top of the table following their 36-14 defeat of the Gold Coast Titans at Cbus Super Stadium on Saturday evening.

In a second half riddled with errors from both teams it was the Panthers who showed the greatest composure when it was most needed to join the Bulldogs and Sea Eagles on 18 competition points but assume the No.1 mantle given their superior for-and-against.

It was hardly the display that will strike fear into the other premiership front-runners but the sense of organised chaos they seemed to thrive on will have any future opposition on high alert.

While Peter Wallace provided the control at halfback the instinctive brilliance of Jamie Soward, James Segeyaro and Tyrone Peachey gave the Panthers a threatening look in attack despite having to get through a heavy defensive load in the opening 20 minutes of the game.

Segeyaro's spark out of dummy-half was a feature in the opening stanza while Peachey's clever footwork and deceptive pace put the Panthers in front 24-8 with the second of three bizarre second-half tries from the visitors.

Leading 14-8 at half-time, Isaah Yeo grabbed the first of the Panthers' second-half tries in the 50th minute when an Albert Kelly pass hit Dave Taylor in the head 20 metres out from the Titans line and Yeo collected the loose ball and broke free of an attempted tackle from David Mead to score the second try of his NRL career.

Fifteen minutes later the Titans paid for a poor last-tackle play when Peachey's left foot deftly stopped an attempted grubber from Kelly and he out-paced Maurice Blair over 90 metres to score out wide, and in the 77th minute Soward collected a charged-down kick just on his own side of halfway and ran straight down the middle of the field to score under the posts.

Mead gave the Titans a glimmer of hope when he scored a bizarre try of his own in the 71st minute when a dropped ball from Taylor was ruled to have been stripped, but it was Moylan who put the exclamation point on proceedings when he backed up from a Peachey bust in the 79th minute to score his side's sixth try of the night.

It was Penrith's third away win from six matches thus far and the third game in succession in which they have scored 26 points or more.

Having looked the more enterprising of the two teams Penrith took a 14-8 lead into half-time after a bizarre final couple of minutes that culminated with Jamie Soward extending the lead to six points with a penalty goal on the bell.

The Titans had an ideal opportunity to at least level things heading into the break when they had a scrum inside the Panthers' half with a minute and 20 seconds still left on the clock but inexplicably kicked on the first tackle, a kick that was gleefully cleaned up by Penrith fullback Matt Moylan.

Two tackles later Greg Bird conceded a penalty for a strip with two players in the tackle, and early in the next set conceded a second penalty for a ruck infringement 37 metres out right in front of the posts that Soward successfully converted.

Despite the Titans dominating with 64 per cent of possession through the first 19 minutes courtesy of a 12-from-12 completion rate, it was the Panthers who scored first courtesy of a wonderful individual effort from hooker James Segeyaro. Having absorbed two sets on their own line, the Panthers made their way down to the Titans' 40-metre line where Segeyaro fooled Luke Douglas with a show-and-go and then scooted around fullback William Zillman to score.

The Titans finally took advantage of their weight of possession in the 14th minute when on the first tackle of their third set on Penrith's line Douglas went someway to making amends for his earlier lapse when he simply barged his way through three defenders to score beside the posts.

Moylan's restart from halfway went out on the full and after Albert Kelly was taken out late after passing – and had his troublesome left leg given the all-clear by the trainer – Kevin Gordon kicked the second goal of his NRL career to give the Titans an 8-6 advantage.

Segeyaro finished off an electric first-half performance when he sparked a spectacular Panthers try from halfway. Having been caught up with Titans forward Paul Carter at dummy-half on the last tackle, Segeyaro offloaded to Jeremy Latimore who sent Tyrone Peachey into the back-field. Peachey then found Soward on his inside who veered to the right side of the field to link up with Lewis Brown who cut back on the angle to put the Panthers back in front.

The Titans had two potential tries denied them, first by the video referee and then the touch judge. Awarded as a try by on-field referee Matt Cecchin, Zillman was ruled to have knocked on in attempting to regather a Brad Takairnagi in-field kick right on the tryline in the 27th minute while seven minutes later David Mead was ruled to have come back in from outside the field of play in a thrilling movement down the right that was not referred to the video referee.

Penrith were hit by two injury blows in the first half with Sika Manu (scratched eyeball) and David Simmons (medial ligament strain) both forced from the field, Simmons unable to return for the remainder of the match.

Penrith Panthers 36 (James Segeyaro, Lewis Brown, Isaah Yeo, Tyrone Peachey, Jamie Soward, Matt Moylan tries; Soward 4 goals) def. Gold Coast Titans 14 (Luke Douglas, David Mead tries; Kevin Gordon 3 goals). Half-time: 14-8 Panthers. Crowd: 10,507.

Source: http://www.nrl.com

Titan4Life
07-06-14, 08:14 PM
Don?

Oh yeah. Totally forgot about him. Deserves to be in our team after his performances this year. Thanks for reminding me :)

DIEHARD
07-06-14, 08:16 PM
Oh yeah. Totally forgot about him. Deserves to be in our team after his performances this year. Thanks for reminding me :)

No worries. Knew it was an oversight.

Titan4Life
07-06-14, 08:17 PM
Some people on Facebook are really starting to annoy me
"Zillman is great, one of our best"
"Takairangi and White are terrible"
"Don't blame Carty, he is a great coach"

No brains in their heads:doh:

Titanic Believer
07-06-14, 08:19 PM
A coach is only as good as he can get his team to play . They play like crap.......

DavidBouveng
07-06-14, 08:43 PM

dont think i could handle looking at that facebook group tonight. they never understand the difference between true loyalty and blind loyalty.

Titanic
07-06-14, 08:52 PM
if we can't battle the facebook mob then we have no chance of outing the coach ... let's all grow a pair and get stuck in ... NOW!

DavidBouveng
07-06-14, 09:01 PM
if we can't battle the facebook mob then we have no chance of outing the coach ... let's all grow a pair and get stuck in ... NOW!

i tried mate but now i has the dumb from reading that ****e.

people claiming zillman was best on field, saying coach is doing a great job, he didnt drop the balls... taylor inconsistent (name someone more consistent this year than taylor? he is our most dependable performer atm.

just hurts my head.

most of them must have met the coach, been to a fan day or something and feel like they are mates with the players or something and dont wanna bag their new BBF...but how about standing up for the club. saying its just a loss it happens, and theres always next week...it is bull****. its been always next week for 4 years, without much sign of improvement.

these are the people who think that giving carty a pat on the back as he walks past them means they are friends, which is more important than actual success.

Mexican titan
07-06-14, 09:02 PM
Just back from the game and have read all the comments - can't disagree with many.
Not a good word to say about any of them except Dave Taylor who tried his guts out. Kelly a shocker but he was not alone. We all agree that the coach is useless and a couple of little things that happen just add weight to that view. For example why would we tap the ball (twice it happened) when you get a penalty 35-40 metres out rather than kick it out and start from the 20. If that's not the signed of a #### coach what is. Just simple basics.
As usual we made a couple of breaks tonight on early tackles but the following play is a hit up - pressure off, go figure.
The worst thing for me is that Penrith were there to be beaten tonight, they were quite poor on occasions but put us away easily.
Just where is this clown of a coach and Searle going to take us. While on Searle I noticed an article in the paper today about juniors and it mentioned our recruitment person Tom Searle. Where will it end.

DavidBouveng
07-06-14, 09:06 PM
man we are so off the pace with in game decisions and attention to detail.

we have mead, kelly, taylor, taka, blair, who all want to create things, and our gameplan is to be a spoiler team, dulling the contest and jagging penalty goals.

man i wish we had the quality of journalism as AFL does, we would get torn a new one so quickly for poor performance, coaching, selection, discipline and shamed into taking action.

or even more educated fans. we are but a few and get overrun by the drooling masses which the majority of league fans are. weve tried having 'smart' league shows for years and it never works cos ppl still want bum jokes and innuendo. no one wants to analyse and think about footy.

gotitans101_
07-06-14, 09:09 PM

wtf

if i didn't know any better i would think they were trolling.

DavidBouveng
07-06-14, 09:15 PM
wtf

if i didn't know any better i would think they were trolling.

trolling indicates wit, or maybe intelligence. that group is mostly bereft of it.

- - - Updated - - -

biggest regret tonight is i picked mansour for captain in SC thinking he was going to carve... every one else did! bath tub!

Mexican titan
07-06-14, 09:18 PM
or even more educated fans. we are but a few and get overrun by the drooling masses which the majority of league fans are. weve tried having 'smart' league shows for years and it never works cos ppl still want bum jokes and innuendo. no one wants to analyse and think about footy.

Not so sure that we are in a minority Dave. The crowd of just over 10,000 tonight I think proves people have had enough of this club the way it is being run.
As I said in an earlier post, Annesley has been quiet of late. Is that because he is just being squashed by Searle as many of us suspected. He is not the CEO - he is an Office Boy and nothing more and it needs to change.

C-Whiz
07-06-14, 09:23 PM
Just got home, haven't had time to read all the comments, but from the start Zillman was very ordinary at best, and I am being kind.

Bird was aggressive and helped force a few Panthers errors, but we must have given away the most cheap ball of any team this year. Any time we were lucky enough to get some ball we just literally threw it away again. Unforced errors galore. Panthers offloaded on almost every second tackle, we didn't contain the ball at all. Terrible.

Alby was way off his game, maybe hurt, but def underdone, should have been pulled long before he kept kicking it into the opposite players and not having a turn and chase game. Not to mention where was all our "fast" men? No chasers!

Taylor turned over ball trying to create something, because someone had to try and make something happen. We were so bad i would've almost been happy to see the good old 5 and a bomb, because at least we have a chance with that.

Not the worst performance I have seen from the Titans, but the least inspiring effort of which it appears there is almost ZERO positives to take out of the game.

DIEHARD
07-06-14, 09:27 PM
Reading some of the comments on the Titans facebook is tough and despressing. I don't like seeing fans laying into each other. But some of the stuff coming out of the mouths of some is just so immature and divisive. I often speak about the immaturity of our fanbase, this just doesn't happen at any other club. With some sections of our fanbase, if you question the coaching and its "Spanish inquisition" time or 'Reds Under The Bed" McCarthyism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarthyism). I'm forever thankful not knowing people like that in any other age.

C-Whiz
07-06-14, 09:31 PM
Just looking over a few posts now...

Zillman was sh!t. Accept it, it was on display tonight for ALL to see. Mead to FB, Don to right wing. It works.

Carter 80 mins.

Mexican titan
07-06-14, 09:34 PM
Reading some of the comments on the Titans facebook is tough and despressing. I don't like seeing fans laying into each other. But some of the stuff coming out of the mouths of some is just so immature and divisive. I often speak about the immaturity of our fanbase, this just doesn't happen at any other club. With some sections of our fanbase, if you question the coaching and its "Spanish inquisition" time or 'Reds Under The Bed" McCarthyism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarthyism). I'm forever thankful not knowing people like that in any other age.

My apologies DH for being a little too direct in my earlier post. The frustration got to me a bit.

DIEHARD
07-06-14, 09:35 PM
My apologies DH for being a little too direct in my earlier post. The frustration got to me a bit.

Wasn't talking about you. :P Specifically the comments of groupies on the Titans fb.

TITAN PETE
07-06-14, 09:48 PM
I hope Cartwrights son signs anywhere but here & takes his father with him, we are becoming a laughing stock of the NRL with our pathetic performances week in week out....

Segyaro's 1st try I'm sure I heard Zillman yell "Touched" but the refs missed it..

Douglas was fantastic in the 1st 20 but pathetic in the 2nd half

Taylor ,Carter & Blair all played well , Myles is only interested in playing SOO going by the way he jogs to line when he has the ball in his hands..

As bad as the refs were neither the Mead or Zillman tries were tries..

There's no way Kelly passed any fitness test prior to the match he was limping in the 1st 10 minutes..

& the biggest joke of the night was the mythical crowd figure of 10k , between 6 & 7 no more..

If I wasn't a member I wouldn't be returning to Skilled until the coach was gone this team is so disappointing but I will see out the season before deciding what happens next year..

There's no way we will beat the Storms div 2 team next home game either unless Mead returns to 1 & Don is returned to the NRL with Kelly staying off the park until his injury is healed 100%

Bayside Titan
07-06-14, 09:56 PM
Mate I'm with you.

Ryan Blair
07-06-14, 10:07 PM
After watching tonight's performance, Mead may as well go. It's not worth paying overs for him like we currently do. He bombed two gifted tries and was caught shirt grabbing the opposition which led Yeo to a Sunday stroll. We have better players in the club that can play the positions he's currently assigned to as well better players in that position he wants to be in so badly.

The rest of the team played alright though.

DavidBouveng
07-06-14, 10:14 PM
After watching tonight's performance, Mead may as well go. It's not worth paying overs for him like we currently do. He bombed two gifted tries and was caught shirt grabbing the opposition which led Yeo to a Sunday stroll. We have better players in the club that can play the positions he's currently assigned to as well better players in that position he wants to be in so badly.

thanks William, your input is valued, but at least Mead put hands on his attacker and made him work for it. You just watch them stroll by. please do us all a favour and drop yourself to Qcup, if you work hard you will quickly be in the top handful of fullbacks there. but only if you work hard at some of the finer skills like kicking, passing, catching, running, tackling...only skill you have perfected is polishing apples for coach carty

C-Whiz
07-06-14, 10:24 PM
Of course Ryan Blair... :laugh:

Can't wait for post #2. :nope:

hatchy84
07-06-14, 10:28 PM
200 comments on fb and double the negative comments to stupid ones

teke
07-06-14, 10:32 PM

The rest of the team played alright though.Gday Zillololololol.

Your humour has not gone unnoticed. Its actually one of the better games u have played since the raiders game where u got run down by reece robinson 40 mtrs behind.

Keep up the good work and go titans !!!!

Mexican titan
07-06-14, 10:40 PM

That is a wonderful first post Ryan. Now it's past your bedtime - put your crayons and your colouring book away and go to bed.

Ryan Blair
07-06-14, 10:47 PM
That is a wonderful first post Ryan. Now it's past your bedtime - put your crayons and your colouring book away and go to bed.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. In case you didn't pick up on it, it means you're stupid. You're in no position to be condescending towards me you inferior minded cretin. Now if you don't mind I'm taking the crayon out of my mouth and going to bed.

hatchy84
07-06-14, 10:53 PM
Coastsportsfan I meant Ryan or should I call you carty thank you for the laughter late on a Saturday night

DIEHARD
07-06-14, 10:58 PM

+

=

"RYAN BLAIR"

DIEHARD
07-06-14, 11:27 PM
All the highlights from the Titans v Panthers game at Cbus Super Stadium.

<script height="314px" width="558px" src="http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.js#pbid=fd5fc71d2bcc4b60a622cf8d3348d605&ec=l1OW03bjqf3C8QwH0mxXBrtC-5HdNjov"></script>

Mexican titan
07-06-14, 11:31 PM
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. In case you didn't pick up on it, it means you're stupid. You're in no position to be condescending towards me you inferior minded cretin. Now if you don't mind I'm taking the crayon out of my mouth and going to bed.

And now you've gone and got yourself banned but at least you got a few thumbs down in first.
I will not get in a battle of wits with you as you are unarmed.

Note: I think he is about to reappear as Mr Blair - get ready DH.

Mr Blair
07-06-14, 11:41 PM
I find it quite ironic that back when this website was run by the club, you guys *****ed that they cut ties with this website after expressing your opinions. Yet when I express my own I get insulted and banned, excluded from having a say in the team I support. It's petty and childish if you ask me.

What more should I expect from a bunch of hypocritical patsy's

I do not expect you to share or agree with my opinions but have the common decency to respect my views.

I'm being the bigger person here by accepting that your overreaction was just in the heat of the moment response to the loss. Hopefully some will display the maturity and intellect as I have.

Regards, Ryan.

- - - Updated - - -

And now you've gone and got yourself banned but at least you got a few thumbs down in first.
I will not get in a battle of wits with you as you are unarmed.

Note: I think he is about to reappear as Mr Blair - get ready DH.

If I wanted to hurt myself, I'd climb your ego and jump down to your IQ.

Mexican titan
07-06-14, 11:46 PM
I find it quite ironic that back when this website was run by the club, you guys *****ed that they cut ties with this website after expressing your opinions. Yet when I express my own I get insulted and banned, excluded from having a say in the team I support. It's petty and childish if you ask me.

I do not expect you to share or agree with my opinions but have the common decency to respect my views.

I'm being the bigger person here by accepting that your overreaction was just in the heat of the moment response to the loss. Hopefully some will display the maturity and intellect as I have.

Regards, Ryan.

- - - Updated - - -

Mate, so you are saying your first post was your real opinion? If it was then ok I will apologise but I thought your post was so left field I thought it was a troll. Certainly not of the intellect you claim to have and I'll back my IQ over yours anyday.
If you are happy with the way the club is going, either on or off the field then good luck to you. Some people are happy with mediocrity but most of us on here want success.

DIEHARD
07-06-14, 11:52 PM
This forum was always operated by the fans.

And for the record I didn't ban you. I don't fear opinions. Remains to be seen if you are constructive though.

DIEHARD
07-06-14, 11:57 PM
Don't get the game until 11.30 tonight so will be in isolation until then … Go Titans!

Enjoy the game.

Mr Blair
08-06-14, 12:01 AM
Mate, so you are saying your first post was your real opinion? If it was then ok I will apologise but I thought your post was so left field I thought it was a troll. Certainly not of the intellect you claim to have and I'll back my IQ over yours anyday.
If you are happy with the way the club is going, either on or off the field then good luck to you. Some people are happy with mediocrity but most of us on here want success.

Well of course I'd like to be coming first on the ladder, have the quality of the storm's spine and have the likes of Bennett as coach.

But as you know we don't have that luxury.

We have a decent squad and a decent coach.

The last thing us non first graders should do is sit behind the keyboard and criticise those players and officials that put in each week. Do you think they enjoy losing?

We haven't stepped in their shoes at all.

Of course the players and officials have room for improvement. Even us fans do.

We need to support them, as nobody's perfect.

I'm assuming your apologising because you've come to the sudden realisation that I'm right.

DIEHARD
08-06-14, 12:04 AM
I was reading until this part came along...

The last thing us non first graders should do is sit behind the keyboard and criticise those players and officials that put in each week. Do you think they enjoy losing?

I'm assuming your apologising because you've come to the sudden realisation that I'm right.

Explain to me which other NRL clubs operate in this fashion?

DIEHARD
08-06-14, 12:08 AM
Kelly's confidence takes a beating

Halfback Albert Kelly is suffering a crisis of confidence at the worst possible time for the Titans as he battles on with a leg injury and his side continues their free fall down the Telstra Premiership table.

Self-confessed dumb errors in the second half of their clash with the Panthers at Cbus Super Stadium on Saturday night gifted the visitors three tries and saw the Titans suffer a fourth straight defeat with their enigmatic halfback lacking his usual spark.

Kelly suffered a fracture to his left leg in their Round 8 win over the Wests Tigers and received on-field treatment against Penrith after copping a knock in the 17th minute and played on in obvious discomfort.

In the first five weeks of the competition Kelly ran for more than 100 metres in each game (with a top of 259m in Round 1) and scored five tries but ran for just 52m against Penrith and appeared a shadow of the player that had carried the Titans to the top of the table.

"It's obviously knocked about," co-captain Greg Bird said of Kelly's confidence. "He's not playing the razzle-dazzle football we were playing at the start of the year.

"I don't know whether that's off the back of the forwards not getting forward and getting momentum in our attack or the fact that he's coming off an injury but it's obvious that he's struggling with the confidence."

Kelly left the sheds with ice strapped to his left leg but coach John Cartwright said that going into the game he had been given a clean bill of health.

"He went into the game fine so I don't know the extent of any injury he copped today," Cartwright said. "I'll have to talk to the medical staff but he went into the game 100 per cent.

"When you lose games your confidence suffers and that's where we are at the moment. The last three games we've been there and thereabouts to win the game and doing all the hard things to win the game and in critical moments the other team's been better than us.

"I really don't think that scoreboard tonight was a true reflection of how the game was. It was pretty hard-fought and there were some dumb errors and often you don't get punished by points when you make some dumb errors but they punished us three times and come up with 18 points."

With five-eighth Aidan Sezer not expected back until the finals with a pectoral injury the Titans desperately need for Kelly to rediscover the magic, preferably before their Monday night clash with the Storm at Cbus Super Stadium in Round 14.

Both teams will be without their Origin representatives but Cartwright is conscious of the importance of the game in the context of which way their 2014 finals prospects head.

"It's a tough period this part of the year and we're going into it with our confidence down and no wins on the board," he said.

"One win can change your season around and we've got a game against Melbourne where both sides are going to be down on troops and it's a very important game in terms of where our season sits."

The Titans are 6-6 at the halfway point of the season and after winning five of their first six, Bird admitted that his side have failed to keep pace with the rest of the competition.

"Everyone's improved and I don't know whether at the start of the year we took it for granted that we were going to be one of the teams there at the end by winning a few games but we haven't improved. Everyone's gone past us at the moment," Bird said.

"We still won those games at the start of the year and they're on the board now and they can't take those points away from us but if we start falling behind too much now it's going to be too far at the end of the year."

http://www.nrl.com/

DavidBouveng
08-06-14, 12:20 AM

Regards, Ryan.

- - - Updated - - -

i would respect your opinion if you were speaking your true opinion, but you basically singled one player out and said rest were alright, clearly aiming to push buttons. Do you deny this? If that is your honest opinion and you thought Kelly who was injured was alright and others who were well down on form were alright, but the player with most run metres was very poor and is over paid, then I'm afraid it will be hard to respect that opinion.

If you want any respect you should admit it was a troll post to stir people up.

Mexican titan
08-06-14, 12:21 AM
Well of course I'd like to be coming first on the ladder, have the quality of the storm's spine and have the likes of Bennett as coach.

We have a decent squad and a decent coach.

No, I certainly do not think you are right. But you have an entitlement to an opinion and the right to express it. Your first post was so far away from what every one on here and most on Facebook think so I thought you were trolling.
We have a decent squad as you say but we do not have a decent coach. Most people will accept that this team is poorly coached and read this thread and others on here if you want some general reasons why. There is no point me repeating myself here.
How do you know some of us haven't stepped in their shoes? Regardless why can't we have an opinion whether we have played or not. I have followed the game for 40 years and have a fair idea what makes clubs successful.
But if you are happy with the poorly coached club, a CEO running the place with his hands tied behind his back, then enjoy the ride.
Just ask yourself whether, bearing in mind the comments here and on Facebook at the moment, whether it might be possible that you are on the wrong bus.

Titanic
08-06-14, 12:33 AM

Love your sense of humour.

K2G
08-06-14, 01:25 AM
TLDR; time for change. #SACKCARTY #MEAD>ZILLAMAN

While i do not agree with them, i for one respect the views of Mr Blair (trolling or not) and i think it's pretty fair to say his opinions regarding the team are representative of, if not shared by a surprisingly significant portion of the wider GC TITANS fan-base (as the official fb page makes clear).

Like it or not, some fans of our club DO think Carty is the answer and DO think Zillman is our best fb etc. This to me, is most alarming - and like someone said on the fb page, is a big reason why the titans are becoming a joke in the rugby league community. As if it's not enough to have the coach we have, making the selections he does, we've also got a significant part of our own supporter base drinking the kool-aid, defending the oh-so ridiculous decisions that are being made/not being made from within our club, and thus perpetuating the kind of cascading failure that manifests into what we hear every week ... "it was a tough loss, but there's always next round / next game / next year" - whether from the post-match press conference, or from "fans" on the fb page (by-and-large) alike.

Rather than get into IQ/d*ck measuring contests, or simple sh*t slanging matches, with these "fans" I'd actually love to hear why they think Cartwright is the best coach to take our team to a Grand Final in the foreseeable future, and shouldn't be sacked immediately. I'd like to hear why they think 7years of underwhelming results aren't grounds enough to confirm the obvious. I'd like to know what it is about Zillman that makes him a better candidate for the fullback spot than Mead (or Roberts, or Don)? I'd like to know how they hope the club will secure NEW fans with the kind of footy we've played for 3+ seasons at least.

The fact is, if Madge, Des, Belly, Wayne or any other NRL coach spent 7 years at ANY club with 1 finals appearance, 1 spoon and an overwhelming stretch of mediocre, boring, uninspiring footy, with minimal long-term improvement, minimal talent development, and minimal promotion of home-grown local juniors (despite having a more than respectable squad on paper, and a fertile talent catchment area for a large majority of this time); there would be constant blow up in the media, fan upheaval, and most certainly there would be boardroom ACTION (not talk, not pay increases, not back-slapping)! Unfortunately, the only reason no one outside of the GC Fanbase kicks up a stink about Carty sticking around for so long, is that its now widely accepted that we're a struggling club off the park, as much as on it. Our back office has a history of being shifty and appears to still look like a shambles. Anyone who knows anything about business or rugby league (and isn't related to/personal friends with Carty, Searle, or anyone else employed by, or with a vested financial interest in the current status quo of the club) can surely see that. The new board will look just as gutless as that which has come before it, if it can't find the wisdom to do what needs to be done.

I wouldn't be so bold as to argue that fans who champion Zillman, Carty, Searle etc are 'stupid,' or that they don't love the club as much as those 'real fans' who want change - yet the opposite seems true, that plenty of fb fans: real GC Titans fans seem to think #SACKCARTY or #MEAD>ZILLMAN (i made that last one up) is about being a fair-weather fan. Since when did entertainment, success or development become too much to ask of your professional sporting cub in exchange for your ongoing support (which for many is a lot more than disposable income?). I'm sure young kids just starting to watch/play footy, who are only now deciding which team to swear their allegiance too, much like future investors, potential signings, and everyday people deciding how to part with their hard earned on the weekend - would expect more of each of these things from our club if we are to stay relevant.

Nothing is ever as good as a Titans win - but geez losses are getting easier to deal with as they continue to push Cartwright and Zillman closer to the door...

K2G
08-06-14, 02:09 AM
Also, I would add that if said "true titans fans" who would stick by Carty, Zilly and co. through endless mediocrity/failure - for love of their club, regardless of meaningless things like results, success or dare i say entertainment - that's great. they're great fans and i respect them, but they should be considered 'money in the bank' no?

Surely their passion for the club (regardless of what they have vested interest in, or who they're related to / friends with) would ensure their continued support through the next era of Titan's history anyway? If fan opinion holds any sway in the board room (i'd be very surprised if it did) then that of our many blind supporters would count for little i would think. As for pure Searle / Zillman / Carty fans, who would jump off the bandwagon as soon as any of these blokes were replaced... do they exist? Mr Ryan, is it a 'Carty & Zilly' or nothing deal for you personally? Do you not think the team could be better with a new coach/fullback? Do the players and fans not deserve the opportunity to find out if an alternative approach might work?

I would've thought that the dwindling crowd numbers would've sufficiently communicated a strong message to the new board (and the blind fans), by now. Maybe that's too optimistic. At what point does breaking existing contracts become necessary 'for the good of the club?' has that discussion even figured into any planning going forward? Can/would anybody from the Titans outfit be willing to answer that?

I remember a time not so long ago that the CEO of this club would come on this forum himself, and face up to some of the hard questions that were being asked - or atleast attempt to. Those days are long gone, and it appears the road ahead is a long, frustrating, shrouded one for Titans Fans who see through the Searle/Carty/Zillman myth.

Mexican titan
08-06-14, 06:32 AM
I remember a time not so long ago that the CEO of this club would come on this forum himself, and face up to some of the hard questions that were being asked - or atleast attempt to. Those days are long gone, and it appears the road ahead is a long, frustrating, shrouded one for Titans Fans who see through the Searle/Carty/Zillman myth.

Both of your posts KI2G are top class and pretty much reflect my views. In relation to the Board, I think it's an "Advisory Board" which means they are not a Board. For a start a Board of 4 is ridiculously small but great if someone wants to control it.
We also remember when the ex CEO went to the UK to sign Tomkins and was stopped in his tracks. We all know by who and why. Tomkins is still finding his feet with the Warriors but still shows more in every game than Zilly.
I have been a Titanium member since day 1 but they are not getting $1100 out of me next year unless they give me and my family some indication of hope for the future. It's in their hands.

C-Whiz
08-06-14, 07:59 AM
Of course Ryan Blair... :laugh:

Can't wait for post #2. :nope:

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. In case you didn't pick up on it, it means you're stupid. You're in no position to be condescending towards me you inferior minded cretin. Now if you don't mind I'm taking the crayon out of my mouth and going to bed.Sorry, you backed up worse than Zillman on a bad night. Very disappointing.

I find it quite ironic that back when this website was run by the club, you guys *****ed that they cut ties with this website after expressing your opinions. Yet when I express my own I get insulted and banned, excluded from having a say in the team I support.I agree, and this is a fair and valid point. IMO part of the problem this forum has faced is it has become something of a "boys" club, and it does tend to shout down contrary views and opinions, but we also know when someone is deliberately baiting the forum, of which you choose to mix the two so you can cry foul when you are banned for one. Much like an old afl fan we knew and didn't love.

If I wanted to hurt myself, I'd climb your ego and jump down to your IQ.I like that one, i will try and use it one day. :laugh:

We have a decent squad and a decent coach.We have a GREAT team, and a sub-standard coach who is out of his league at this level. He would be a decent Q Cup coach.

I'm assuming your apologising because you've come to the sudden realisation that I'm right.And then you go and prove to us all what a tool/troll you are deep down...

Toads
08-06-14, 08:29 AM
Just back from the game and have read all the comments - can't disagree with many.
Not a good word to say about any of them except Dave Taylor who tried his guts out. Kelly a shocker but he was not alone. We all agree that the coach is useless and a couple of little things that happen just add weight to that view. For example why would we tap the ball (twice it happened) when you get a penalty 35-40 metres out rather than kick it out and start from the 20. If that's not the signed of a #### coach what is. Just simple basics.
As usual we made a couple of breaks tonight on early tackles but the following play is a hit up - pressure off, go figure.
The worst thing for me is that Penrith were there to be beaten tonight, they were quite poor on occasions but put us away easily.
Just where is this clown of a coach and Searle going to take us. While on Searle I noticed an article in the paper today about juniors and it mentioned our recruitment person Tom Searle. Where will it end.

Maybe they've changed focus. By getting family and friends on board for the cash grab before the club goes **** up? The only reason I mention that is because the quality of footy they're producing doesn't seem to matter to them anymore.

Anyway, off to watch the game before I read anymore of this thread.

The Birdman
08-06-14, 09:32 AM
Is Cartwrong blind? I was watching the game at the pub drinking a couple of beers with the sound off and it was obvious even to me Kelly was majorly injured when his grubber got charged down, Peneith ran the length and he barely chased.

Any coach with a brain would have hooked Kelly then or earlier to protect him from further injury as the game was gone.

What othe coach has ever been given 7.5 YEARS with such poor results? Our blind fans are hurting the club in a way by accepting this crap status quo. We got lucky at the start of the year beating some out of form or injury ravaged teams with fluke 90m tries but everyone else has improved a lot and we have not at all.

I can't remember us scoring off a structured play inside opposition 20 all year. The backs are so lateral and all going in the same direction. When the likes of Harrison doesn't get in the way on the fourth tackle with a no impact ball hog hit up. What a joke!

We actually gave this clown a PAY RISE last year, what a piss take. We should have been praying for another team to do a Ricky Stuart for us and "steal" Carty compensation free.

As for playing Thrillman at fullback last night, surely the old boys club mentality is now obvious! The total package nickname is laughable. The ladies must have nicknamed him that in the bedroom or something because if that is what passes for the total package on a footy field these days that'll do me!

Coaster
08-06-14, 09:54 AM
Anyone saying the coach is not to blame and it's the players. Has never experienced a truly great coach and I feel sorry for you.

5 Year Contract
08-06-14, 01:21 PM
Great work Carty. Cant even be bothered anymore going on about Zillman. Too old, too slow, flat footed a complete detriment to the team. Membership cancelled for next year unless we have a new coach and our best 17 plays. Its not fair on the fans to expect mediocrity and I'm sick of giving money for this to continue. Ah wells always next week......unless zillman is at fullback

Mr Blair
08-06-14, 01:24 PM
Why do people jump to conclusions.

I never said Zillman is the best option at Fullback. I believe James Roberts will be the long term choice. I do think Zillman is the best fullback at the moment. He's certainly a better fullback than Mead. He's also more complete and skill full player than him. He offers more on the field and off it with his leadership and competitive nature. Mead is just another Nathan Merrit, overrated by fans. Where as Zillman would of had Slater's test jersey by now if it weren't for injuries.

BTW I don't think Mead is a bad player per say, but he isn't as good as everyone makes him out to be.
Mead reminds me of Peyroux, he can't pass or defuse bombs. He's future position is in the centres or back row.

Titans 2015 spine.
1. Roberts
6. Zillman
7. Sezer
9. Carter
14. Kelly as back up hooker/half. He's a game breaker which is why we should let him be our super sub. Let him come into the game in short bursts like when Presto used to.

Toads
08-06-14, 01:28 PM
Wow, what a interesting thread. :laugh:

I watched the game 'n read the thread. But it appears everything has already been said 'n I got nothing to add to it.

Well, apart from appreciating the entertainment provided by our new comedian, and that kick**** post by KI2G. Those two post by KI2G need to be printed out and slapped onto the Boardroom table of Titans HQ for all Board Members to see. Well said, Man. :salute:

Titanic
08-06-14, 02:39 PM
I can't even bring myself to debate any further as to why Zillman's only place is on the fitness staff or in QCup and under this coach Sezer has gone way way way backwards.

1. Mead
6. Blair
7. Kelly when fit otherwise Henry
9. Moseley (Penrith)

DIEHARD
08-06-14, 02:43 PM
Where as Zillman would of had Slater's test jersey by now if it weren't for injuries.

What utter fantasy.

The game is full of great fullbacks and Zillman is towards the bottom of the pile. Billy Slater's test jersey? Hahahaha.

What about Inglis, Stewart, Hayne?

DIEHARD
08-06-14, 02:45 PM
Next you'll be telling me that Cartwright may be the next Alex Ferguson and that we must keep the faith.

Mexican titan
08-06-14, 03:03 PM
BTW I don't think Mead is a bad player per say, but he isn't as good as everyone makes him out to be.
Mead reminds me of Peyroux, he can't pass or defuse bombs. He's future position is in the centres or back row.

Titans 2015 spine.
1. Roberts
6. Zillman
7. Sezer
9. Carter
14. Kelly as back up hooker/half. He's a game breaker which is why we should let him be our super sub. Let him come into the game in short bursts like when Presto used to.

He cannot pass yet you have him in the centres - that's an interesting concept.
As for your spine, if that's what we have next year well it's a lost cause. I take my footy fairly seriously Mr Blair but your posts give me a laugh. I am just hoping that you are about 10 years old and learning the game, but keep your opinions coming.
One day we will have a sucessful team and we will not need to have these debates. One day.

Nick
08-06-14, 03:55 PM
What's Carty doing on the forum? At least we know his opinion now.

It gets very hard to support this team at times.

C-Whiz
08-06-14, 05:21 PM
Why do people jump to conclusions.I'll jump to the same conclusion I did with CSF, and that is that you are a moron.

I never said Zillman is the best option at Fullback. I do think Zillman is the best fullback at the moment. Moron status confirmed.

Where as Zillman would of had Slater's test jersey by now if it weren't for injuries.I take back what i said earlier about everyone deserving the right to an opinion. :doh:
So, you don't think the man who would/could/should be the Australian FB is the best option at FB for the Titans???

I did like the parts where you tried to pretend you know something, just like old mate CSF. :laugh:

teke
08-06-14, 05:41 PM
Why do people jump to conclusions.

I never said Zillman is the best option at Fullback. I believe James Roberts will be the long term choice. I do think Zillman is the best fullback at the moment. He's certainly a better fullback than Mead. He's also more complete and skill full player than him. He offers more on the field and off it with his leadership and competitive nature. Mead is just another Nathan Merrit, overrated by fans. Where as Zillman would of had Slater's test jersey by now if it weren't for injuries.

Titans 2015 spine.
1. Roberts
6. Zillman
7. Sezer
9. Carter
14. Kelly as back up hooker/half. He's a game breaker which is why we should let him be our super sub. Let him come into the game in short bursts like when Presto used to.hahahaha so *** ******ed

- - - Updated - - -

Don't ban me for swearing and def don't ban this chick aswell

Mr Blair
08-06-14, 05:41 PM
I'll jump to the same conclusion I did with CSF, and that is that you are a moron.

Glad the feeling is mutual, you primitive simpleton. It's kinda sad watching you attempt to fit your entire vocabulary into a sentence.

C-Whiz
08-06-14, 05:48 PM
Glad the feeling is mutual, you primitive simpleton. It's kinda sad watching you attempt to fit your entire vocabulary into a sentence.Damn, I can't even.... finish... reply.. fully out of... vocabulary...

DavidBouveng
08-06-14, 06:10 PM
It might really be zillmans dad or someone if he thinks zillman is test quality. He is not in the top 20 fullbacks in the NRL. Which is fine, not everyone can be hayne or slater. But he's not even improving. He had two assets, speed and his training/ work ethic. He now only has one real asset since his speed has diminished so much.

Unlike you, we aren't going over board with mead. A lot of us like mead, but we have debated and spoken of his faults or bad games, his earlier troubles under high ball or fitness. He doesn't often get in the top three vote getters each week on our forum players poll. No one is delusional and thinks he should be playing origin or tests, we just see his speed, and strong broken field running as being of better value than zillmans poor hands, timing, lack of confidence, and defense/ positioning.

mead is much more competitive than zillman and was stopping tries weekly and holding people up over the line while playing FB. He never got run around untouched like segy, soward, Johnson and others have done to zillman recently. He definitely didn't get 4 tries scored on him either. I'm not sure if zillman is intentionally avoiding the tackle by waiting so long, or if he genuinely gets caught flat footed until they are past him?

Last I'm going to talk to you about zillman, as your either family / friends of his and defending his efforts can't be too much fun, I would stick up for a mate or family member even if he was this badly out of his depth too.

Will leave the random spine you picked out of a hat totally alone.

Mr Blair
08-06-14, 07:00 PM
Just watched a replay of the game.
Gordan needs to get more ball, perhaps a move to the centres (or fullback when Zillman is out). He's simply too good to be left on the wings.

Hail Sezer
08-06-14, 07:05 PM
Gordan needs to get more ball, perhaps a move to the centres (or fullback when Zillman is out). He's simply too good to be left on the wings.

or halfback/prop/coach/referee/commentator

DavidBouveng
08-06-14, 07:18 PM
or halfback/prop/coach/referee/commentator

you quoting him defeats the purpose of me ignoring him.:cry:

Mexican titan
08-06-14, 07:48 PM

I shouldn't feed you but....Gordon is already playing centre. Just about every game we play, Kevvy's opposite winger scores a try because Kevvy's in the centres. Such a hero of yours yet you can't spell his surname right. :duh2:

C-Whiz
08-06-14, 08:54 PM
Gordan needs to get more ball, perhaps a move to the centres (or fullback when Zillman is out). He's simply too good to be left on the wings.Surely he should be part of your spine.

For all those times we will be missing Zillman when he's out playing test matches.

Jonathonbcode
09-06-14, 10:39 AM
Kelly was still suffering from the injury, it was far too obvious. Mead in for Zillman. I thought it was frustrating to be a NSW fan from 2008 to 2013 but man....