View Full Version : Origin Game 1 : QLD v NSW 2014

DIEHARD
03-05-14, 10:18 PM
QLD v NSW

May 28, Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b5/State_of_Origin_Logo.png

Toads
04-05-14, 09:16 AM
Ya gotta admire the Blues resilience, as they keep turning up each year..

Let the cheap shots begin!

shamus
04-05-14, 12:37 PM
Ya gotta admire the Blues resilience, as they keep turning up each year..

Let the cheap shots begin!

Fark ooff Toads!

There ya go, I've started. :poke:

C-Whiz
07-05-14, 04:07 PM

Need I say more? :eyebrows:

**edit**

No bites? Maybe it's a bit high-brow for the NSW supporters...

NSW Country vs NSW City, 80 minutes and still neither NSW team can win!

Come on, it's gold!

TITAN PETE
11-05-14, 01:13 PM
PEARCE ARRESTED
Roosters
May 11, 2014 00
SYDNEY Roosters halfback Mitchell Pearce has been arrested after an alleged altercation with police early on Sunday morning.

Police allege that Pearce became argumentative with officers after being asked to leave a licensed premises in Potts Point around 1:30am.

The Sydney Roosters have released the following statement:

“The Sydney Roosters have been made aware that Mitchell Pearce was issued with an infringement notice for failure to quit a licensed premises overnight.

“The infringement notice was issued and the fine paid.

“The Roosters have advised the NRL’s Integrity Unit.

“From here, the club will address the matter internally and will be making no further comment.”

- - - Updated - - -

Us NSW supporters can only hope the NRL suspend him in definatley :thumbsup:

Jonathonbcode
11-05-14, 11:32 PM
I believe the NSW Origin 2014 side should consist of the following players:

1. Hayne
2. Morris
3. Morris
4. Jennings
5. Tafua (Tupou will be in there due to media hype)
6. Reynolds (It should be a fully fit Carney or Mullen)
7. A. Reynolds (It looks like Pearce is out and this is the direction they may be heading towards...)
8. Gallen
9. Farah
10. Tamou
11. Watmough
12. Bird
13. Lewis
14. A. Kelly (It will be Kurt "I have naked pictures of somebody" Gidley)
15. Fifita
16. Cordner
17. Woods

DIEHARD
12-05-14, 12:32 AM
God it's nearly time to strap in for the annual State of Origin series...

DIEHARD
12-05-14, 02:15 PM
GIVE US THIS DAY OUR DALEY DREDD!

IT’S official, Blues fans. The dream of breaking Queensland’s Origin stranglehold is in tatters.

With 16 days to go until the arch-rivals enter Suncorp Stadium for the 100th clash in Origin history, Laurie Daley has a bigger headache than Nigel Plum at Hunter Stadium yesterday.

The man he had vowed to stand by in the No.7 jersey, Mitchell Pearce, is in all sorts of strife after his late night antics over the weekend and the NRL Integrity Unit is investigating the Roosters playmaker.

His halves partner James Maloney bravely took to the field against Wests Tigers with painkilling injections in his shoulder but there seems little chance of him being 100 per cent right for Origin One – if Daley even decides to pick him.

Josh Dugan’s name has been tossed around for wing or fullback with the Blues but the way he was tossed around by the Bulldogs yesterday suggests Daley might be better off with Jarryd Hayne, Brett Morris and Daniel Tupou as his back three.

And then there’s hardman Greg Bird, one man capable of standing up to the Maroons and sitting a few of them on their backsides.

Unfortunately for Daley, the Titans enforcer tried to stand up to the Bunnies on Saturday night but succeeded only in flipping an opponent into a dangerous position and landing himself on report. Hot water for Bird and cold chills for Daley as the series opener looms and his big guns battle injury, poor form and suspension.

If there is a silver lining for the Blues coach it’s the form of dynamic Dog Josh Reynolds and rampaging Tiger Aaron Woods.

But right now, with a tick over two weeks to go, the momentum is all in Queensland’s favour. And if you don’t believe us, just ask Choppy Close!

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/give-day-daley-dredd/

Jonathonbcode
12-05-14, 02:46 PM
GIVE US THIS DAY OUR DALEY DREDD!

IT’S official, Blues fans. The dream of breaking Queensland’s Origin stranglehold is in tatters.

With 16 days to go until the arch-rivals enter Suncorp Stadium for the 100th clash in Origin history, Laurie Daley has a bigger headache than Nigel Plum at Hunter Stadium yesterday.

The man he had vowed to stand by in the No.7 jersey, Mitchell Pearce, is in all sorts of strife after his late night antics over the weekend and the NRL Integrity Unit is investigating the Roosters playmaker.

His halves partner James Maloney bravely took to the field against Wests Tigers with painkilling injections in his shoulder but there seems little chance of him being 100 per cent right for Origin One – if Daley even decides to pick him.

Josh Dugan’s name has been tossed around for wing or fullback with the Blues but the way he was tossed around by the Bulldogs yesterday suggests Daley might be better off with Jarryd Hayne, Brett Morris and Daniel Tupou as his back three.

And then there’s hardman Greg Bird, one man capable of standing up to the Maroons and sitting a few of them on their backsides.

Unfortunately for Daley, the Titans enforcer tried to stand up to the Bunnies on Saturday night but succeeded only in flipping an opponent into a dangerous position and landing himself on report. Hot water for Bird and cold chills for Daley as the series opener looms and his big guns battle injury, poor form and suspension.

If there is a silver lining for the Blues coach it’s the form of dynamic Dog Josh Reynolds and rampaging Tiger Aaron Woods.

But right now, with a tick over two weeks to go, the momentum is all in Queensland’s favour. And if you don’t believe us, just ask Choppy Close!

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/give-day-daley-dredd/

Okay.

Pearce is terrible. Maloney is extremely average and so is Dugan. I don't see how this is a bad thing? Someone from up above is looking out for us, seriously. Hayne, Farah, Morris twins, Fifita, Bird, Gallen, Watmough are all ready to go, I don't see anything wrong..going on?

We may not have the perfect halves going for us but we can still do it, Pearce was holding us back. I wonder what the crowd reaction would be like if we won the series?

Titan4Life
12-05-14, 07:08 PM
Queensland won't change much and Billy most likely won't be replaced at fullback but I would like to see:
1. Inglis
2. Boyd
3. Chambers
4. Hodges
5. Slater
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Myles
11. McQueen
12. Thaiday
13. Parker
BENCH:
14. Taylor
15. Gillett
16. Te'o
17. Cherry-Evans

Jonathonbcode
13-05-14, 11:26 AM
I actually would be more anxious about that line up going against NSW, as I was in game three of 2012.

I knew once Daley became coach that he would mess everything up! He dumped Carney and put in Maloney just so Pearce would feel more laid back, what the **** is this?! It's about laying down the best team. It's so frustrating to be a NSW fan, we have the cattle/talent to do it but we keep going with ordinary players in the halves. Neither Maloney or Pearce are game breakers, bring back in a fit Carney, Mullen and debut Brooks or A.Reynolds, and A. Kelly!

Jonathonbcode
13-05-14, 01:46 PM
You've got to be kidding. Pearce is now free to play Origin. God hates NSW.

DIEHARD
13-05-14, 02:41 PM
You've got to be kidding. Pearce is now free to play Origin. God hates NSW.

I'm feeling confident but the Blues will field a great side. Halves will be the issue.

DIEHARD
13-05-14, 02:42 PM
What are the odds between NSW and QLD?

Jonathonbcode
13-05-14, 10:55 PM
I'm feeling confident but the Blues will field a great side. Halves will be the issue.

Queensland have it easy with the halves situation. NSW has a much more dominant pack but they can't seem to get the halves, right..at all. I will still support them but IF we do not win, again...Pearce has got to go. No more chances, he has had four straight chances in a row. Does Pearce have naked photos of some one? I don't have a clue on the odds tbh, man. Maybe like NSW $2.40 to QLD's $1.50? I'm not a big betting guy, at all..especially if one can't control those urges, so to speak.

NSW do have a chance but this has to be Pearces last chance, absolute last chance. It's time to give Todd Carney, Jarrod Mullen, Albert Kelly, Luke Brooks, Adam Reynolds, Trent Hodkinson a go...

TITAN PETE
14-05-14, 09:32 AM
What are the odds between NSW and QLD?

game 1
QLD $1.45
NSW $2.75

Series
QLD $1.48
NSW $2.65

DIEHARD
14-05-14, 03:03 PM
So guys, what do people think about 9000 tickets still available for Game 1?

I think they finally got too greedy. The prices are disgraceful.

Also so few tickets were on standard public sale, they made all these ridiculous Memberships like the Maroon Membership and the Cauldron Club.

Who wants a stupid wig or a brewery tour (Every year?) anyway?

Toads
14-05-14, 04:09 PM
The sad part about it, Diehard. the NRL wont see the real reason (as you mentioned about ticket prices) and believe that the people of Queensland don't show much interests in the series and use that against us to selling off a Match to either Melbourne, Sydney or even potentially Auckland or the likes.

It doesn't matter what Sport it is. Once they lose touch from the average punter, they tend to turn things around to suit themselves and screw everyone else..

DIEHARD
14-05-14, 04:50 PM
The sad part about it, Diehard. the NRL wont see the real reason (as you mentioned about ticket prices) and believe that the people of Queensland don't show much interests in the series and use that against us to selling off a Match to either Melbourne, Sydney or even potentially Auckland or the likes.

It doesn't matter what Sport it is. Once they lose touch from the average punter, they tend to turn things around to suit themselves and screw everyone else..

Yea we need to be careful we don't price out our own base. It's great to see the popularity of the series jet into the stratospheres but we cant let tickets be scaled with it. We do need to keep them affordable and hopefully always give priority to NRL Club Members.

I hope this serves as a warning shot and not an excuse to take Origin around like a Super Bowl.

Jonathonbcode
14-05-14, 06:08 PM
Yea we need to be careful we don't price out our own base. It's great to see the popularity of the series jet into the stratospheres but we cant let tickets be scaled with it. We do need to keep them affordable and hopefully always give priority to NRL Club Members.

I hope this serves as a warning shot and not an excuse to take Origin around like a Super Bowl.

Maybe it could be to do with QLD winning, over and over again..the same old stale NSW line up, AGAIN. Pearce is the stale ingredient. Also, with Abbott coming out with this new budget...it probably wont help, either.

DIEHARD
14-05-14, 06:35 PM
Queenslanders never get sick of beating NSW. Much like we never got sick of contesting pre-Origin, even though the odds were always stacked against us.

Im fascinated to see how RL authorities react.

DIEHARD
14-05-14, 06:40 PM
The only thing stupider than a Victorian beer sponsoring NSW is this promotion...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4Bu8fBtHYbQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DIEHARD
14-05-14, 06:46 PM
http://chickatthefooty.net/2014/05/14/what-price-maroon-passion/

DIEHARD
15-05-14, 12:43 PM
Star Queensland players are edging closer to being selected to play in State of Origin game one next week

DAVE Taylor has edged closer to an Origin recall after Queensland selector Allan Smith declared Sam Thaiday must face the Titans tomorrow to guarantee his Maroon jersey for the State of Origin opener.

Queensland back-row stalwart Thaiday hasn’t played since the last local derby in Round 6 because of a nagging calf injury and hasn’t been named to face the Gold Coast at Suncorp Stadium tomorrow in what is the final audition before the Game One team is named on Monday.

After 20 Origin appearances Thaiday is a walk-up starter for the Maroons but the uncertainty surrounding his availability has Queensland’s selection panel weighing up other options.

If Thaiday doesn’t play tomorrow he would have to go into the series opener at Suncorp Stadium on May 28 without having played in over six weeks.

When asked if Thaiday has to face the Titans to earn Maroons selection, Smith said: “I think so, but that goes back to the coach (Mal Meninga) and how the medical staff think he’s going.

“We’d certainly have liked to have seen Sam have a couple of games.

“This weekend will give us a better indication of where everybody’s at.

“Ideally it’d be good for him to play on Friday night.”

Question marks are hovering over the form of incumbent forwards Josh Papalii and Chris McQueen after slow starts to the season.

Raiders hulk Papalii is facing the axe unless he can impress Meninga, who will be in Canberra on Sunday to run his eye over the youngster’s performance against Penrith.

McQueen, who started Games Two and Three last year, has been relegated to the bench for much of the season and managed just 32 minutes in South Sydney’s big win over the Gold Coast last Saturday.

Papalii and McQueen’s plight has seen Taylor, who has been in Origin exile since 2012, rocket back into calculations.

The Gold Coast wrecking ball has been in top flight this year and Maroons selectors Gene Miles and Des Morris will be at Suncorp Stadium tomorrow to cast their eye over the Queensland contingent.

“He’s in that mix. His name will come up during conversation over the weekend,” Smith said.

“The ball’s in Dave’s court. He’s got to keep producing that form.

“He’s running hard and seems to be getting in the game a lot more than last year.

“He’s got a little way to go yet until he’ll be totally happy with his game but his contribution to the Titans’ effort this year has been pretty solid.”

Taylor, 25, has been the Gold Coast’s leading forward for metres gained (130/game) this year and assistant coach Neil Henry said he was benefiting from an injury-free start to the season.

“He’s a handful. He’s running nice and direct and playing that role really well,” he said.

“He’s been able to get that by playing — touch wood — injury-free footy.

“He’s still only young. It’s not like he’s 28-29. He’s got good footy ahead of him.

“He’s been around since he was an 18-year-old but in terms of being a forward and getting used to a role, he’s still got a fair way to go.”

The Queensland team will be named at a function in Brisbane on Monday night, with Titans co-captain Nate Myles to be selected in the front row for his 24th Origin.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/nrl/

DIEHARD
15-05-14, 02:11 PM
ARL heeds irate fans’ call and slashes price of State of Origin I tickets

TICKETS prices for some Origin I tickets at Suncorp Stadium will now be offered for one-third off as rugby league officials seek a sellout.
The ARL Commission and the QRL will release a limited number of silver category seats for $125 for the 100th Origin game on May 28.
Respondents on the issue to The Courier-Mail’s website and Origin Facebook page this week have been mostly critical of increased prices for this year’s series of up to $370 for a membership package for Origin I and $250 for the best category of seat.

Most said pricing was the reason they had not bought tickets for Origin, which has been a virtual sellout at Suncorp Stadium in 14 of the 15 games since the 2003 redevelopment.

“(On Thursday) there will be a release of a limited number of $125 tickets for the opening match and we expect that we will have a strong take-up of those tickets from fans,” an NRL spokesman said.

“Game One in Brisbane remains on track to again be a sellout and tickets for Game Three (on July 9) are already selling well.
“State of Origin is the most prized sporting event in Queensland each year and the pricing structure reflects the premium status of the event.’’

A silver category seat last night on the website of ticket agency Ticketek cost $220 with Queensland team merchandise included, or $180 for a seat and no merchandise.

When The Courier-Mail tried to buy a seat, it was in the sought-after lower tier, in a corner on the eastern side of the ground.

QRL managing director Rob Moore admitted on Monday the leagues were in “unchartered territory’’ for a Brisbane Origin game with about 9000 tickets unsold for the 100th State of Origin match.

The two leagues activated an advertising campaign last week on mainstream and digital media to make plain to the public that the game was not a sellout, which the interstate matches at the 52,500-seat Suncorp Stadium commonly are.

Of the 15 games at the stadium since the 2003 development, only one drew fewer than 52,000 and that was significantly last year’s only game there, for which the crowd was 51,690.

The Origin marketing campaign has included traditional and digital media after the NRL had decided against a more prominent marketing campaign of the 100th Origin game further out from May 28.

Moore called on Maroons fans to save the occasion from the sight of empty seats at Suncorp Stadium.

The third and possibly decisive game of the Origin series will also be at Suncorp Stadium, on July 9.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/

Toads
15-05-14, 06:44 PM
That's a bit more of a promising read, which has restored a bit of faith for me. Just hope they continue to prove me wrong.

DIEHARD
16-05-14, 12:44 PM
100th Origin, they sure pick a match to **** up don't they?

Jonathonbcode
16-05-14, 01:11 PM
Queenslanders never get sick of beating NSW. Much like we never got sick of contesting pre-Origin, even though the odds were always stacked against us.

Im fascinated to see how RL authorities react.

It's a whole new generation in comparison to the pre-Origin days, people had patience back then and had the endurance, mentally. I have friends who are Maroon supporters and the new generation ones, they love their team and what not, but it gets like Groundhogs Day when it's the same result. NSW need to win at least one series to inject it with a new life.

It's frustrating when you're a Blues supporter, it's the same stale halves..all the time. We have a monster forward pack, a good backline etc.

Surely, ****ing surely if Pearce loses this one, he is GONE. Jesus Christ, give Kelly and a TON of others a chance..

DIEHARD
16-05-14, 01:25 PM
I've never heard a Queenslander complain. NSW might be an entirely different story, but I've been proud of the crowd support they are getting.

Maybe there is a time when it gets to be too much, but give us a decade of dominance first please!

Toads
16-05-14, 04:28 PM
It'll be a cold day in hell if I ever get bored of the Maroons winning all the time. But I can relate to the rest of what you mentioned, Jonathonbcode. :)

DIEHARD
19-05-14, 12:38 PM
Maroons named today!

CoastSportsFan
19-05-14, 02:45 PM
NSW supporters are looking at the Hayne Train like he's the saviour again. They are going to get a rude awakening in 9 days at Suncorp :D

DIEHARD
19-05-14, 03:44 PM
Wow it's true. most Victorians do cheer for the Maroons.

CoastSportsFan
19-05-14, 05:07 PM
Wow it's true. most Victorians do cheer for the Maroons.

As do most Queenslanders. Born and bred buddy.

Titan4Life
19-05-14, 06:07 PM
Maroons named today!

From rumours I have heard it sounds like the team may be:
1. Slater
2. Boyd
3. Inglis
4. Hodges
5. Tate
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Myles
11. McQueen
12. Gillett
13. Parker
---------------
14. Papalii
15. Guerra
16. Te'o
17. Cherry-Evans
That's just my prediction but we will wait and see in 1/2 an hour.

DIEHARD
19-05-14, 06:20 PM
As do most Queenslanders. Born and bred buddy.

If you are, you are doing it wrong.

Nick
19-05-14, 06:32 PM
A few new faces for the Maroons, no major injuries for squad members, looking hard for my Blues to get up! Its always a close encounter and I hope we can get the upper hand in this first match.

DIEHARD
19-05-14, 06:33 PM
I haven't seen it yet actually.

Nick
19-05-14, 06:35 PM
Will be announced shortly!

DIEHARD
19-05-14, 06:37 PM
http://www.qrl.com.au/interactive/live-stream.html

CoastSportsFan
19-05-14, 06:39 PM
If you are, you are doing it wrong.

How? In the famous words of another Queenslander...

http://i.gyazo.com/f777e8bb0b6c73d1a7f8fcb54e0e4d45.png

DIEHARD
19-05-14, 06:41 PM
Love the live stream. Adds to the spectacle.

Justin Hodges wants out to LET'S GET IT STARTED. Fortunately for the QRL they didn't play the original version.

DIEHARD
19-05-14, 06:42 PM
How? In the famous words of another Queenslander...

http://i.gyazo.com/f777e8bb0b6c73d1a7f8fcb54e0e4d45.png

Go cheer on the Allies you gimp.

And take your political idol with you.

DIEHARD
19-05-14, 06:43 PM

Classy work by QRL as the players come out. Celebrating 100 Origin matches.

DIEHARD
19-05-14, 06:46 PM
Missed a couple but you get the idea.

CoastSportsFan
19-05-14, 06:46 PM
Go cheer on the Allies you gimp.

And take your political idol with you.

I've never brought up the Allies once on here. I've always supported the Maroons. Even if I didn't, it doesn't make me any less of a Queenslander. There are plenty of Queenslanders who don't follow RL/any sport so your ideology on what makes you a Queenslander is pretty silly.

I'm happy Dave Taylor is unlikely to be picked. Don't fix what's not broken.

DIEHARD
19-05-14, 06:48 PM
1. Billy Slater (Storm)

2. Darius Boyd (Knights)

3. Greg Inglis (Rabbitohs)

4. Justin Hodges (Broncos)

5. Brent Tate (Cowboys)

6. Johnathan Thurston (Cowboys)

7. Cooper Cronk (Storm)

8. Matt Scott (Cowboys)

9. Cameron Smith (Storm)

10. Nate Myles (Titans)

11. Chris McQueen (Rabbitohs)

12. Matt Gillett (Broncos)

13. Corey Parker (Broncos)

Interchange

14. Daly Cherry-Evans (Sea Eagles)

15. Aidan Guerra (Roosters)

16. Ben Te’o (Rabbitohs)

17. Josh Papalii (Raiders)

18. Will Chambers (Storm)

DIEHARD
19-05-14, 06:58 PM
New South Wales to announce their side tomorrow from 11.40am.

Tamwelg
19-05-14, 07:45 PM
I think it is an absolute crock that Dave Taylor has not been named, he's been playing well all year.

TITAN PETE
19-05-14, 10:11 PM
The NSW team has supposedly been leaked & looks as most would expect but Idriss selected in the back row says maybe it's a crock of..

Jonathonbcode
19-05-14, 11:48 PM
Ah, to respond to the guy who said to myself that QLD never get tired of beating NSW, and thus the reason for tickets being low atm. It's all broken up in to different generations, opinions but A LOT of people that I've spoken to are tired of the same old, same old..winning and winning.

Aaaaanyways.

Well, from what I have been able to gather, this is the supposed NSW team:

1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Brett Morris
3. Josh Morris
4. Michael Jennings
5. Daniel Tupou
6. Josh Reynolds
7. Trent Hodkinson
8. James Tamou
9. Robbie Farah
10. Aaron Woods
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Beau Scott
13. Paul Gallen (c)

14. Trent Merrin
15. Tony Williams
16. Luke Lewis
17. Josh Jackson

Personally. I would switch Tupou for Hopoate and Jackson for Sims, and switch Reynolds for Mullen. That is it.

I haven't said it too much, at all due to history of the past 8/9 years of State of Origin, but..I can see a NSW victory this year, I really can. Hodkinson is a decent halfback, and he will get the job done..and if the forwards do their job, all should be good!

NSW to beat QLD. I have my predicted score as NSW 20 -Qld 4. Tate will be dumped for O'Neil or Chambers, Taylor in for Papalii in game 2. Bold predictions but **** it...

Smakked
20-05-14, 07:26 AM
THis year i am backing the refs to **** it up again , they will decide the game no doubt, just like they do in the NRL.

TITAN PETE
20-05-14, 12:15 PM
NSW VB Blues

1.Jarryd Hayne - Parramatta Eels
2.Brett Morris - St George Illawarra Dragons
3.Josh Morris - Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs
4.Michael Jennings - Sydney Roosters
5.Daniel Tupou - Sydney Roosters
6.Josh Reynolds - Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs
7.Trent Hodkinson - Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs
8.Aaron Woods - Wests Tigers
9.Robbie Farah - Wests Tigers
10.James Tamou - North Queensland Cowboys
11.Ryan Hoffman - Melbourne Storm
12.Beau Scott - Newcastle Knights
13.Paul Gallen - Cronulla Sutherland Sharks (c)

14.Trent Merrin - St George Illawarra Dragons
15.Anthony Watmough - Manly Warringah Sea Eagles
16.Luke Lewis - Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
17.Tony Williams - Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs

Smakked
20-05-14, 01:38 PM
I like our chances more not seeing Maloney or Pearce in there.

Jonathonbcode
20-05-14, 06:32 PM
I'm glad that Pearce and Maloney aren't there...thank GOD! I'm just a bit eh on the forwards and Tupou on the wing..but I want to be proven wrong..

C-Whiz
20-05-14, 07:25 PM
NSW to beat QLD. I have my predicted score as NSW 20 -Qld 4. If you are feeling this, then put $20 on it, you should get a few grand back. :laugh:

For those who watch the betting markets, the odds for Qld to win the first game is almost the same as to win the series. A bit strange. :surprise:

C-Whiz
22-05-14, 07:45 AM
With less than a week to go this thread has gone pretty quiet.

I remember the days when Blues fans actually thought they had a chance of winning a series and would spend the week mouthing off. :laugh: :eyebrows::fight:

TITAN PETE
22-05-14, 08:06 AM
With less than a week to go this thread has gone pretty quiet.

I remember the days when Blues fans actually thought they had a chance of winning a series and would spend the week mouthing off. :laugh: :eyebrows::fight:

Piss Off ya Dirty Toad

C-Whiz
22-05-14, 08:31 AM
Piss Off ya Dirty Toad
Thats it?

Come on Pete, that's as piss weak as the NSW team they've announced.

I think NSW will score about as many points in the series as Qld score in game 1.

So, really, if you are a NSW fan, cheer for QLD in game 1, so at least you know you might crack 30 across 3 games.

TITAN PETE
22-05-14, 09:52 AM
We will win the Fight , the Dirty Toads don't have 3rd man in Thaiday to hit the Blues from behind this time around :fight:

Qld too Old & too Ugly :p

The Great Arty Beetson said Qld will win 8 series he never mentioned winning 9 :eyebrows:

C-Whiz
22-05-14, 10:01 AM
We will win the Fight , the Dirty Toads don't have 3rd man in Thaiday to hit the Blues from behind this time around :fight:

Qld too Old & too Ugly :p

The Great Arty Beetson said Qld will win 8 series he never mentioned winning 9 :eyebrows:Fight? what fight??

You know what, I agree with some of what you say, however Gallen can't even knock out Myles with 3 free punches, how's he gonna go now that he's not allowed to throw any?

Origin without a knuckle. It just doesn't sound right, does it!

TITAN PETE
22-05-14, 10:49 AM
Fight? what fight??

You know what, I agree with some of what you say, however Gallen can't even knock out Myles with 3 free punches, how's he gonna go now that he's not allowed to throw any?

Origin without a knuckle. It just doesn't sound right, does it!

Maybe 79th minute of game 3 or 2 ...

Jonathonbcode
22-05-14, 12:19 PM
I would rather be stuck in a room listening to Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber at the same time then cheer for the ****ing Maroons. Never, ever..eeeeever, going to happen in my lifetime.

Although, I have to say..we will score more points then in just one game, I'm very confident that this is the year..and that is the only time I've ever said that. NSW were soooo close to winning in 2012 and 2013, only if it wasn't for Pearce..such a terrible halfback. I remember the situation where we had like 2 on 1 situation with like 15 minutes to go, and we are two points behind. Well, instead of Mythell passing, he kicks it in to Slater....Pearce is a good luck charm for QLD.

DIEHARD
22-05-14, 12:31 PM
I got to find a bar to watch this in around Hong Kong. I'm going to introduce my American friend to the noble sport of Rugby League.

So I also need a classy game.

C-Whiz
22-05-14, 12:40 PM
I got to find a bar to watch this in around Hong Kong. I'm going to introduce my American friend to the noble sport of Rugby League.

So I also need a classy game.At least you didn't put "American" and "classy" in the same sentence. ;)

DIEHARD
22-05-14, 12:45 PM
I would rather be stuck in a room listening to Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber at the same time then cheer for the ****ing Maroons. Never, ever..eeeeever, going to happen in my lifetime.

Hahaha love your passion. This is what makes Origin great.

Jonathonbcode
23-05-14, 07:35 PM
Thank you.

If NSW do win the series, what would the crowd reaction be like? Shock, cheers, disbelief? Especially if it happens at Suncorp...

DIEHARD
23-05-14, 08:03 PM
Thank you.

If NSW do win the series, what would the crowd reaction be like? Shock, cheers, disbelief? Especially if it happens at Suncorp...

A tsunami of **** headed Queensland's way on social media.

I think it would be a warm moment for NSW and when it eventually happens, it will boost Origin even more.

Jonathonbcode
23-05-14, 09:59 PM
A tsunami of **** headed Queensland's way on social media.

I think it would be a warm moment for NSW and when it eventually happens, it will boost Origin even more.

It would be interesting, man. See, everyone tries to say at times "Well, NZ won the World Cup in '08, why can't NSW do that?" But, NZ only had one game against them in a series of deciding matches for the Cup.

It may be like Undertaker losing his streak at Mania..wrestling fans will get that mention. Origin will be interesting, if Hayne and Farah can stay injury free along with Gallen..then all should be good.

DIEHARD
27-05-14, 10:08 AM
Sell-out on cards for State of Origin opener

The State of Origin opener appears on track for a sell-out with only about 2000 tickets remaining for Wednesday night's game at Suncorp Stadium.

The lead-up has been shrouded in controversy over increased ticket prices, and the QRL and NRL have come under heavy fire for tickets costing $220-$250, after a smaller allocation of bronze tickets were snapped up for $80.

Even coach Mal Meninga was dismayed, saying the game's governing bodies had got it wrong with the pricing structure and needed to make changes to avoid the prospect of thousands of empty seats at kick-off time.

A white category was created ($125) that has helped boost late sales, while select tickets remained available in most parts of the ground late on Monday. Only bronze was sold out, and there were limited allocations available in silver ($180) and the maroon zone ($180).

There were some tickets for sale through Ticketek in the platinum, gold, silver, blue zone and white sections.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/state-of-origin/sellout-on-cards-for-state-of-origin-opener-20140526-zrovg.html#ixzz32rzsIxXT

DIEHARD
27-05-14, 10:12 AM
My brother is lucky enough to be going. I'll be watching from somewhere on Hong Kong Island.

DIEHARD
27-05-14, 10:16 AM
Hayne can deliver NSW glory, says Paulo

"Two tries - including the decisive match-winner – that will lead to a four-point win for NSW, leaving them 80 minutes away from a history-making series victory."

That's the bold prediction from Parramatta lock Joseph Paulo for inspirational skipper Jarryd Hayne when the talismanic fullback runs on to Suncorp Stadium on Wednesday night.

It sounds fairly ambitious, probably bordering on miraculous. But it's not exactly far from what every man and his dog are expecting south of the Tweed.

The Eels are currently the league's fourth-best team, a description we've been unable to pin on Parramatta since their fairytale run to the grand final five years ago.

In fact, Hayne's teams are yet to occupy a position this high on the NRL ladder since his second year of first grade in 2007. But now that he's almost single-handedly made Parramatta relevant again, many are expecting him to do the same for the Blues.

In other words: Jarryd Hayne, come save NSW.

"I know he doesn't want to carry that expectation but he does because he's a high-profile and he gives his best," Paulo told NRL.com.

And it's not exactly fair, Hayne's teammate says. Take it from someone who goes to church with him – he's watched Hayne crash and burn carrying the weight of a club that hasn't seen premiership glory in almost three decades.

"I don't think he's looking to be a saviour. He just wants to be part of the team and make the team stronger," Paulo said.

"He's tried to carry us in the past but obviously hasn't prevailed. For him to be at his best, the team needs to be at its best first.

"For him, it's just more about him enjoying his football, you know? I reckon he's done it toughest out of everyone, because he's got that expectation and he's played at the highest level but hasn't really achieved much."

While Hayne – who missed games II and III of last year's series – has had no problem showcasing his supreme athletic ability and freakish match-winning feats, his leadership has always been more difficult to identify.

But that's not the case in 2014, says Paulo, who has witnessed his good mate return from Australia's World Cup triumph a more mature captain.

"For him to go to the World Cup and play for the Kangaroos and then actually win it, it means a lot to his confidence and his attitude about how far his talents can take him," Paulo said.

"I'm just glad he's enjoying his footy. He's really applying himself and that leadership role that he's taken on. He's really doing a great job with all the young guys and all of us boys coming through.

"Because he knows how much it means to him - being that young guy and being around for a while - I think that extra role he's now playing as a leader... the boys look up to him.

"He tries to not carry that weight but he plays his best and the boys seem to follow him."

http://www.nrl.com/

Skyfire
27-05-14, 11:25 AM
So keen for this. To go 9 straight would be amazing.

I hope Hodges is fit. I want a fully fit Hodges and Inglis please.

DIEHARD
27-05-14, 12:22 PM
Billy Slater reluctant to surrender Maroon No. 1 jersey to Greg Inglis
http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/nrl

IT will take a tap on the shoulder from Mal Meninga for Billy Slater to surrender his Maroon No. 1 jersey to good mate Greg Inglis.

On the eve of tomorrow’s State of Origin series opener at Suncorp Stadium, Slater, 30, has revealed he has no plans to emulate legendary fullback turned five-eighth Darren Lockyer and shift positions.

Slater could *realistically play another three years in league’s toughest arena, meaning Inglis, 27, will be forced to bide his time at centre.

Slater came under fire after making a slow start to the season on the back of a draining World Cup tour and knee surgery but has hit form in the past few weeks for Melbourne.

Yesterday he opened up about the damage to his posterior cruciate ligament.

“The cartilage is my main problem,” said Slater, who missed the 2012 Origin decider with his initial knee ailment.

“I’ve a hole in my cartilage which is down to the bone, so that’s what gives me the inflammation and pain when I do overtrain.”

But despite injury and the red-hot form of Inglis, Slater said he wouldn’t be pressured into making way at fullback.

“I haven’t really thought about changing positions,” he said. “Fullback is my best position at the moment and that’s the position I’ll play.”

Slater’s mid-season revival has come at the right time and he and Inglis have registered similar numbers in the key *attacking statistics.

Inglis has just one more linebreak (10) than Slater while both have scored five tries and set up six.

Slater said that he wasn’t feeling any extra pressure to perform in the first game.

“I don’t think anyone else is going to make me try any harder,” Slater said. “You don’t need that sort of motivation. I have always had that.”

Former Maroons centre Steve Renouf called for Inglis to replace Slater at fullback after the Rabbitohs custodian’s stunning start to the season.

Queensland selectors, however, stayed loyal to Slater and the Innisfail product said he was not affected by criticism.

“Maybe subconsciously (it affects me) but certainly not consciously,” he said.

“If it came from my coaches or teammates I’d certainly take it to heart more.”

DIEHARD
27-05-14, 05:03 PM
Suncorp marks 100th Origin milestone

http://wa1.www.qrl.com.au/content/qrl/club/news/2014/05/27/suncorp_marks_100th_origin_milestone/_jcr_content/par/image.img.jpg/1401161696370.jpg

The spiritual home of rugby league will play host to more than just a State of Origin clash this week, with in Game one of 2014 to be the 100th game between New South Wales and Queensland.

Recreation and Sport Minister Steve Dickson unveiled a plaque to commemorate the milestone at the Caxton St end of Suncorp Stadium, and said State of Origin had become one of the great rivalries in world sport.

“Origin is now one of the most anticipated events on the Australian sporting calendar, even in traditional non-Rugby League states and overseas, and the rivalry just gets bigger,” Mr Dickson said.

Mr Dickson said it was appropriate the 100th game of Origin would be played where it all began back in 1980.

“It’s been a thrilling 99 games so far, and Queensland has well and truly gained the upper hand in terms of both games won (53 to 44 with two draws) and series wins (18 to 12 with 2 draws).

“Suncorp Stadium and before that Lang Park has hosted 48 of the 99 games played, with Queensland winning 30, New South Wales 17 and 1 draw.

“This dominance really shows what playing at the cauldron means to the home team.

“Our ongoing investment in maintaining and developing Suncorp Stadium infrastructure ensures it is the perfect venue for large scale sporting events.

“The entire community benefits from the economic flow-on, as part of our election promise to grow tourism as one of the four pillars of the economy.

“More than 1.8 million have watched the 48 games live here at the spiritual home of rugby league, and I hope to see a sea of Maroons supporters at Suncorp tomorrow night.

“The Mighty Maroons are going for an historic ninth straight series win, and I really hope this success will inspire a new generation of Queenslanders to pick up a football and get active - a key goal of the Government’s Get in the Game program.

“We are keen to encourage more young Queenslanders to get involved in recreation and sport, and events like State of Origin really help to motivate kids to pick up a ball and have fun with their friends.”

http://www.qrl.com.au/

DIEHARD
27-05-14, 05:45 PM
We caught up with comedian and Maroon supporter Carl Barron at today’s Queensland Captain’s Run.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mUoEbJc7VYM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TITAN PETE
27-05-14, 05:54 PM
Just saw GCT89 on the Gold Coast News all dressed up in the Mighty Blues Colours , well done Adam

DIEHARD
27-05-14, 05:59 PM
Just saw GCT89 on the Gold Coast News all dressed up in the Mighty Blues Colours , well done Adam

What a legend, he is such a great ambassador for the game. Firing up the passion.

I hope someone got some pics or vid.

Mexican titan
27-05-14, 07:29 PM
Well I'll be there with my Blues gear on and with 10 blokes in Qld gear. One day soon surely.

TITAN PETE
27-05-14, 08:20 PM
I will be there hoping for the upset but more importantly I'm taking my son for his 1st Origin match , told him he had to be able to big enough to cop the Origin Abuse @ 6'2 he can now look after his dad :fist:

GCT_89
27-05-14, 08:29 PM

Yea the interview was down at tweed, but was still pretty hostile for a Tuesday morning....
Plenty of support too, chucking the footy around on the border line....

Some random Canadian bloke came down from his hotel room with a qld flag, bragging about who will take home the 'championship' this year.....lol (typical)

Was a good laugh and was fun showing pride for your state... SO keen for tomorrow night now!!!

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh625/Adzy_89/c930fb26-e1d1-4f92-8946-6dbc1ee589b1_zpsf4017bf1.jpg (http://s1255.photobucket.com/user/Adzy_89/media/c930fb26-e1d1-4f92-8946-6dbc1ee589b1_zpsf4017bf1.jpg.html)

TITAN PETE
27-05-14, 08:59 PM
Yea the interview was down at tweed, but was still pretty hostile for a Tuesday morning....
Plenty of support too, chucking the footy around on the border line....

Some random Canadian bloke came down from his hotel room with a qld flag, bragging about who will take home the 'championship' this year.....lol (typical)

Was a good laugh and was fun showing pride for your state... SO keen for tomorrow night now!!!

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh625/Adzy_89/c930fb26-e1d1-4f92-8946-6dbc1ee589b1_zpsf4017bf1.jpg (http://s1255.photobucket.com/user/Adzy_89/media/c930fb26-e1d1-4f92-8946-6dbc1ee589b1_zpsf4017bf1.jpg.html)

I did have a chuckle when he said "Win the Championship" :surprise: at least he didn't say Win the Flag :laugh:

DIEHARD
27-05-14, 09:07 PM
Canada.... That's in Queensland....

5 Year Contract
27-05-14, 09:44 PM
The trophy will be staying with us for another year! That said this is a dangerous looking blues outfit and unfortunate that both sides have injuries as there is nothing better than both teams at full strength going head to head! Ill be there at game 1 and 3 cheering on the mighty maroons! Only thing that dampens origin is bloody Laurie Daley....why!!!??? because he is too nice a bloke and I cant hate him like Gus and Stuart before him....just adds that extra bit of fire to the game

DIEHARD
28-05-14, 12:06 PM
Gold Coast is overflowing with ‘cockroaches’ from south of the border who support the underdog Blues

st Meter Maids wearing paper hats and State of Origin jerseys, NSW torrey Klett and QLD Charlotte Mendes. Source: News Corp Australia
Nowhere in Queensland is the State of Origin battlelines drawn so deeply than along the state border at Coolangatta.

It is the official demarcation and there are no blurred lines when it comes to which side you support.

But the Gold Coast is slowly being infiltrated.

Official statistics from the Gold Coast community profile show the cockroaches are crossing the border in record numbers.

In the five-year period from 2006 to 2011, migration trends show the city welcomed more than 20,000 Blues supporters.

Mayor Tom Tate said the Gold Coast experienced the cross-border fervour and should be given the chance to host an Origin match.

“As we head towards the 2018 (Commonwealth) Games we should give the Origin series a chance here on the Gold Coast at Metricon Stadium,” said Cr Tate.

“Perhaps a fourth game could be played in the series but it would at least give NSW a chance let them play as close to the border as possible.

“The Gold Coast experiences the split loyalties of State of Origin more than anywhere else, given our proximity to NSW, and this would allow them to play on a more level turf than Brisbane.”

His call comes as the 100th game between NSW and Queensland is to be staged at Suncorp Stadium tonight.

Recreation and Sport Minister Steve Dickson said State of Origin had become one of the great rivalries in world sport and didn’t warm to the idea of a Gold Coast move.

“State of Origin was born at Suncorp Stadium, and it is the spiritual home of rugby league in Queensland,” he said.

“The Queensland team continues to dominate the competition, and the home crowd at Suncorp Stadium no doubt contribute to their dominance of the game.”

Mr Dickson said Origin was one of the most anticipated events on the Australian sporting calendar.

“The rivalry just gets bigger,” Mr Dickson said.

He said it was appropriate the 100th game of Origin would be played where it all began back in 1980.”

TOP TEN PLACES TO WATCH THE GAME TONIGHT:

Circle on Cavill

What: Bring a chair and watch the big game on one of the biggest television screens on the Gold Coast in the heart of Surfers Paradise.

When: 7.30pm

Where: Circle on Cavill, Surfers Paradise

Cost: Free

Cineplex Nerang

What: Watch the game on a cinema-sized screen and support the Animal Welfare League while you’re at it.

When: Doors open 7.25pm

Where: Nerang

Cost: Gold coin donation

Burleigh Bears Football Club

What: Watch the sport’s biggest game at the home of grassroots rugby league on the Gold Coast. Bring your blankets, lawn chairs and picnic rugs and watch the game from the club’s scoreboard TV screen. There will also be a canteen with “footy food”.

Where: Pizzey Park, Miami

Cost: Free

Stingray Lounge

What: Watch the game from eight large plasma screen. There will also be hot dogs, wood fired pizzas, and $6 draught, craft and cider beers.

When: 6.30pm

Where: 7 Staghorn Ave, Surfers Paradise

Cost: Free entry. Hot Dogs $6, Wood fired pizzas $10.

Mermaid Beach Tavern

What: Big screens, surround sound and drink and food specials including specials on ribs, wings, pies and pizza, big game atmosphere.

When: 6.30pm

Where: 2500 Gold Coast Hwy, Mermaid Beach

Coomera Lodge Hotel

What: A country-style pub that is just minutes from the Gold Coast. The Coomera Lodge is the perfect place to support the Queensland players

Where: 160 Maudsland Road, Upper Coomera

Eagle Heights Mountain Resort

What: Try not to be distracted by the breathtaking views of the Gold Coast while you are watching the game at one of Tambourine Mountain’s famous watering holes. There will be food specials as well as half price rooms for the first 20 callers so no taxi needed.

When: Game Starts at 7.30pm

Where: 1683 Tamborine Oxenford Road, Wongawallan.

Coolangatta Hotel

What: Enjoy the game among a healthy mixture of Queensland and New South Wales fans at the last pub before the NSW border.

Where: Cnr Warner Street & Marine Parade, Coolangatta

Dog and Parrot Hotel

What: Watch the game on the “mega screen” at one of the Titans fans favourite meeting places. There will also be $10 pizzas and $10 off steaks.

When: Food at 5.30pm, game 7.30pm

Where: 2 Scottsdale Dve, Robina

Southport Sharks

What: It may be an AFL club but the Southport Sharks will put on a game night atmosphere to rival any Rugby League centric establishment. Game will be live on big screens at Mack’s Bar with free finger food at half time.

Where: Cnr Musgrave & Olsen Ave, Southport

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au

Titanic
28-05-14, 01:32 PM
QUEENSLANDER!!!
Thrice every year I read your comments and have to explain to my 8 year old, once again, that there was a time when the Origin trophy occasionally migrated south.

"Really?" he says, "Tell me again, daddy, about big Artie running on to Lang Park and how you had sticky draws for a week" and "Tell me again daddy, how Choppy Close had to backhand some cheating b'stard so Queensland could score" and "Daddy, please, please tell me again how King Wally went to Sydney and beat the whole of the Blues team by himself, blindfolded with his hands tied behind his back while the Boo's cried and gnashed their teeth and pulled their puds, shouting 'Wally we're wanking' to the sound of mass slapping and clapping.

Yes, my son is one of those who has NEVER in his lifetime had to witness a Blues victory ... you will be pleased to know that last night he said, "gee, daddy, I feel a bit sorry for those Blues fans." But as any good father must do, I set him straight. "There was a time, son, when things were not as they are now. Before when we visited the other side of Coolangatta, because we had 21 year old drinking then, they had separate drinking fountains for us Queenslanders. We even had to sit in the back of the bus and avert our eyes if they walked past. Never forget your roots ... people of great emancipational vision have put down their lives so that you can bask in the glory of today.

Tonight while they play the national anthem that unites all Australians, even the heathen 'kick& giggle' mob, we will remember the words of our very own Ron McCauliffe "I had a dream".

DIEHARD
28-05-14, 02:10 PM
Maroons plot Inglis onslaught for Blues

MAROONS legend Trevor Gillmeister has issued an *ominous warning to New South Wales, *declaring Greg Inglis has now matured into an even more *potent *Origin force.

Queensland five-eighth Johnathan Thurston has hatched a plan to get Origin’s greatest tryscorer more *involved in tonight’s series-opener at Suncorp Stadium.

And the change of tack couldn’t have come at a better time with Gillmeister revealing a new side of Inglis has come out this year.

At 27, Inglis is already the greatest tryscorer in Origin history (15) and is set to be unleashed at centre as Queensland chase a record ninth straight series win.

And the 106kg speedster is tipped to take his game to even greater heights this series, *according to Gillmeister, an *assistant coach to Maroons boss Mal Meninga.

“GI is one of the blokes that has been more outspoken and doing a few new things,” he said. “He’s shown a few different things he doesn’t normally do. Hopefully that’s a good sign for us.

“People don’t understand that everyone matures at different stages.

“Something clicks and away they go. Hopefully that’s the way for GI.”

Inglis burst on to the Origin arena on the wing and has starred in the centres.

He has been one of the NRL’s most dangerous fullbacks over the past two years and while Billy Slater is Queensland’s first-choice custodian, Thurston is aware of the wrecking ball standing next to him on the left edge.

Inglis struggled to get *involved in last year’s opening game but Thurston said he was *determined to give Inglis more possession tonight.

Queensland have made slow starts in the past two years but have managed to grind their way to victories.

It’s a scenario captain Cameron Smith wants to change and getting Inglis involved early is part of his plan.

“We’d be silly not to give him some early ball,” he said.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/

TITAN PETE
28-05-14, 02:57 PM
Maroons plot Inglis onslaught for Blues

MAROONS legend Trevor Gillmeister has issued an *ominous warning to New South Wales, *declaring Greg Inglis has now matured into an even more *potent *Origin force.

What a shame that word will never be used when it comes to describing his time with the Titans

TITAN PETE
28-05-14, 03:54 PM
Queensland v NSW preview
By Tony Webeck
NRL.com
1:40pm Wed 28th May, 2014

Queensland v New South Wales
Suncorp Stadium
Wednesday, 8.05pm

If the Maroons complete the 2014 State of Origin Series with the same team with which they start, their squad will contain eight players to have played at least 20 Origin matches and qualify for the coveted Dick 'Tosser' Turner medal.

If the Blues achieve a similarly settled campaign they will have just one; fullback Jarryd Hayne.

It's as true as a Gene Miles one-handed offload that winning teams are easier to pick than those who continually have to be dragged up from the canvas but there is an undeniable sense of unity in the Maroons camp that feeds all the way down from the selection table.

Josh Papalii, Chris McQueen and Ben Te'o have not been in the same form for their clubs in 2014 that earned them Origin selection in the first place but a week spent in the company of their Queensland brethren will see their performances dramatically improve.

Blues coach Laurie Daley's hand was forced with suspensions and injuries affecting incumbents such as Greg Bird and Andrew Fifita but when Mitchell Pearce became embroiled in late-night hijinks that attracted the ire of the New South Wales Police less than three weeks out from Game One, Daley took a stand.

Not only was Pearce removed from selection discussions but Roosters teammate James Maloney went with him despite a starring role in a return from injury against the Wests Tigers in Round 9.

In their place have come the irresistible Josh Reynolds and his Bulldogs halves partner Trent Hodkinson while Roosters flyer Daniel Tupou is an exciting addition to a backline with plenty of potency.

It's in the forwards, however, where Daley went looking for a containment crew rather than the next generation of big Blues bookends.

There are six players in the NSW forward rotation 30 years of age or older, including the team's spiritual leaders in Paul Gallen and Robbie Farah. Beau Scott has earned a recall for the first time since Game Three, 2012 while Ryan Hoffman retains the position he held last year, seven years after making his Origin debut.

Although still highly accomplished first-graders it's hard to believe that Anthony Watmough's or Luke Lewis's best days are ahead of them so the question deserves to be asked as to whether they are the right men to relaunch a new Blues dynasty or simply the men for right now.

The Maroons have one debutant (Aidan Guerra) and the Blues two (Hodkinson and Tupou) but the Origin experience weighs heavily in Queensland's favour to the tune of 233 games to 124.

The question continues to be asked as to whether the Queensland players are nearing their used-by date but while ever they keep winning, age shall not weary them.

Watch Out Maroons: The increased speed of the game around the ruck area has been the major flow-on effect of rule changes introduced at the start of the year and there are few better at exploiting a chaotic middle third of the field than Blues hooker Robbie Farah. In extreme doubt with an elbow injury until a week ago, Farah returned to the Tigers in time to steer them to victory against the Sharks and was a must-have inclusion for the Blues to have any chance of upsetting Queensland on home soil. Despite missing three games Farah has 188 more dummy-half run metres than the next best (Queensland captain Cameron Smith) and his eight line break assists are the most of any regular hooker. If the Blues forwards can punch some holes, Farah is the one to take advantage.

Watch Out Blues: They are the quintessential odd couple but while the styles of Cooper Cronk and Johnathan Thurston may vary, the numbers say they are both equally adept at creating opportunities for their teammates to both break the line or indeed score a try. If there was any doubt that the 2013 Golden Boot winner was indeed the world's best footballer, Thurston has given his critics no ammunition in 2014, topping the NRL through 10 rounds in try assists (14) and line break assists (13). His partner in crime has held off a concerted stake by Daly Cherry-Evans for title as the NRL's best No.7 with some impressive statistics of his own. In a Melbourne side that hasn't been at their usual high standard for the first two months, Cronk is ranked second in try assists (13) and fourth in line break assists with 10. If you were drafting a dream halves pairing from the NRL's most creative and influential footballers, Cronk and Thurston would be your men, and they're all Queensland's.

Plays To Watch: Origin matches are very rarely won by using carefully constructed plays perfectly executed to expose the opposition defence. Queensland took advantage of Nathan Merritt's inexperience and lack of combination with centre partner Josh Morris to expose the Rabbitohs' flyer defensively in Game Two last year and it's hard to imagine they won't look to put debutant Daniel Tupou under similar pressure. Tupou's advantage is that he will have Roosters teammate Michael Jennings on his inside and his extraordinary ability under the high ball may give the Maroons cause to consider any aerial assaults to his side. At the other end of the field, Tupou has a significant height advantage over his opposite Brent Tate and will be a prime target for either Reynolds or Hodkinson cross-field kicks. The other big play that will help decide the outcome is which player comes up with that desperate tackle in defence that inspires their teammates to do the same.

Where It Will Be Won: Over the past decade the opening game of the Series has been won by a margin of no more than eight points on all but one occasion so composure in the final 10 minutes will be critical. Queensland's 'spine' of Slater, Thurston, Cronk and Smith boast a combined Origin experience of 91 games compared to the Blues' 26 (17 of which belong to fullback Jarryd Hayne). Hodkinson and Reynolds have both won games at the death for the Bulldogs this season however transferring that cool-headedness to the game's most intense environment is a whole new challenge again. The coolest heads will prevail.

History: Played 99; Queensland 53, NSW 44, drawn 2. Since the State of Origin Series went to the best of three in 1982 there have been 32 Game Ones played and the spoils are split exactly down the middle with both sides winning 16 apiece. Despite Queensland skipper Cameron Smith suggesting the Maroons have been slow out of the blocks in recent years, the Maroons have won the opening game of the Series in five of the past seven years. The last time the Blues won Game One at Suncorp was in 2003 when Andrew Johns and Anthony Minichiello steered them to a 25-12 win, then wrapping up the Series in Game Two in Sydney.

Match Officials: Referee - Shayne Hayne; Assistant Referee - Ben Cummins; Touch Judges - Russell Turner & Nick Beashel; Video Referees - Steve Clark & Luke Patten.

Televised: Channel Nine – Live from 7pm.

How We See It: Amidst all the turmoil, injuries and suspensions, Blues coach Laurie Daley has selected a pack of forwards to get in the face of the Maroons in a bid to unsettle them and a backline riding a wave of confidence generated from outstanding club form. Paul Gallen, Beau Scott, Ryan Hoffman, Luke Lewis and Anthony Watmough will be on containment duty in the middle but will also need to give Reynolds and Hodkinson time and momentum to settle into the pace of an Origin fixture. Complacency shapes as the greatest threat to undermining Queensland's preparation but there was a commitment from the coach and captain from day one that that would not be the case. Enthusiasm will take New South Wales a long way but it's hard not to envision experience and class telling in the end. Maroons by six points.

- - - Updated - - -

Queensland v NSW preview
By Tony Webeck
NRL.com
1:40pm Wed 28th May, 2014

Queensland v New South Wales
Suncorp Stadium
Wednesday, 8.05pm

If the Maroons complete the 2014 State of Origin Series with the same team with which they start, their squad will contain eight players to have played at least 20 Origin matches and qualify for the coveted Dick 'Tosser' Turner medal.

If the Blues achieve a similarly settled campaign they will have just one; fullback Jarryd Hayne.

It's as true as a Gene Miles one-handed offload that winning teams are easier to pick than those who continually have to be dragged up from the canvas but there is an undeniable sense of unity in the Maroons camp that feeds all the way down from the selection table.

Josh Papalii, Chris McQueen and Ben Te'o have not been in the same form for their clubs in 2014 that earned them Origin selection in the first place but a week spent in the company of their Queensland brethren will see their performances dramatically improve.

Blues coach Laurie Daley's hand was forced with suspensions and injuries affecting incumbents such as Greg Bird and Andrew Fifita but when Mitchell Pearce became embroiled in late-night hijinks that attracted the ire of the New South Wales Police less than three weeks out from Game One, Daley took a stand.

Not only was Pearce removed from selection discussions but Roosters teammate James Maloney went with him despite a starring role in a return from injury against the Wests Tigers in Round 9.

In their place have come the irresistible Josh Reynolds and his Bulldogs halves partner Trent Hodkinson while Roosters flyer Daniel Tupou is an exciting addition to a backline with plenty of potency.

It's in the forwards, however, where Daley went looking for a containment crew rather than the next generation of big Blues bookends.

There are six players in the NSW forward rotation 30 years of age or older, including the team's spiritual leaders in Paul Gallen and Robbie Farah. Beau Scott has earned a recall for the first time since Game Three, 2012 while Ryan Hoffman retains the position he held last year, seven years after making his Origin debut.

Although still highly accomplished first-graders it's hard to believe that Anthony Watmough's or Luke Lewis's best days are ahead of them so the question deserves to be asked as to whether they are the right men to relaunch a new Blues dynasty or simply the men for right now.

The Maroons have one debutant (Aidan Guerra) and the Blues two (Hodkinson and Tupou) but the Origin experience weighs heavily in Queensland's favour to the tune of 233 games to 124.

The question continues to be asked as to whether the Queensland players are nearing their used-by date but while ever they keep winning, age shall not weary them.

Watch Out Maroons: The increased speed of the game around the ruck area has been the major flow-on effect of rule changes introduced at the start of the year and there are few better at exploiting a chaotic middle third of the field than Blues hooker Robbie Farah. In extreme doubt with an elbow injury until a week ago, Farah returned to the Tigers in time to steer them to victory against the Sharks and was a must-have inclusion for the Blues to have any chance of upsetting Queensland on home soil. Despite missing three games Farah has 188 more dummy-half run metres than the next best (Queensland captain Cameron Smith) and his eight line break assists are the most of any regular hooker. If the Blues forwards can punch some holes, Farah is the one to take advantage.

Watch Out Blues: They are the quintessential odd couple but while the styles of Cooper Cronk and Johnathan Thurston may vary, the numbers say they are both equally adept at creating opportunities for their teammates to both break the line or indeed score a try. If there was any doubt that the 2013 Golden Boot winner was indeed the world's best footballer, Thurston has given his critics no ammunition in 2014, topping the NRL through 10 rounds in try assists (14) and line break assists (13). His partner in crime has held off a concerted stake by Daly Cherry-Evans for title as the NRL's best No.7 with some impressive statistics of his own. In a Melbourne side that hasn't been at their usual high standard for the first two months, Cronk is ranked second in try assists (13) and fourth in line break assists with 10. If you were drafting a dream halves pairing from the NRL's most creative and influential footballers, Cronk and Thurston would be your men, and they're all Queensland's.

Plays To Watch: Origin matches are very rarely won by using carefully constructed plays perfectly executed to expose the opposition defence. Queensland took advantage of Nathan Merritt's inexperience and lack of combination with centre partner Josh Morris to expose the Rabbitohs' flyer defensively in Game Two last year and it's hard to imagine they won't look to put debutant Daniel Tupou under similar pressure. Tupou's advantage is that he will have Roosters teammate Michael Jennings on his inside and his extraordinary ability under the high ball may give the Maroons cause to consider any aerial assaults to his side. At the other end of the field, Tupou has a significant height advantage over his opposite Brent Tate and will be a prime target for either Reynolds or Hodkinson cross-field kicks. The other big play that will help decide the outcome is which player comes up with that desperate tackle in defence that inspires their teammates to do the same.

Where It Will Be Won: Over the past decade the opening game of the Series has been won by a margin of no more than eight points on all but one occasion so composure in the final 10 minutes will be critical. Queensland's 'spine' of Slater, Thurston, Cronk and Smith boast a combined Origin experience of 91 games compared to the Blues' 26 (17 of which belong to fullback Jarryd Hayne). Hodkinson and Reynolds have both won games at the death for the Bulldogs this season however transferring that cool-headedness to the game's most intense environment is a whole new challenge again. The coolest heads will prevail.

History: Played 99; Queensland 53, NSW 44, drawn 2. Since the State of Origin Series went to the best of three in 1982 there have been 32 Game Ones played and the spoils are split exactly down the middle with both sides winning 16 apiece. Despite Queensland skipper Cameron Smith suggesting the Maroons have been slow out of the blocks in recent years, the Maroons have won the opening game of the Series in five of the past seven years. The last time the Blues won Game One at Suncorp was in 2003 when Andrew Johns and Anthony Minichiello steered them to a 25-12 win, then wrapping up the Series in Game Two in Sydney.

Match Officials: Referee - Shayne Hayne; Assistant Referee - Ben Cummins; Touch Judges - Russell Turner & Nick Beashel; Video Referees - Steve Clark & Luke Patten.

Televised: Channel Nine – Live from 7pm.

How We See It: Amidst all the turmoil, injuries and suspensions, Blues coach Laurie Daley has selected a pack of forwards to get in the face of the Maroons in a bid to unsettle them and a backline riding a wave of confidence generated from outstanding club form. Paul Gallen, Beau Scott, Ryan Hoffman, Luke Lewis and Anthony Watmough will be on containment duty in the middle but will also need to give Reynolds and Hodkinson time and momentum to settle into the pace of an Origin fixture. Complacency shapes as the greatest threat to undermining Queensland's preparation but there was a commitment from the coach and captain from day one that that would not be the case. Enthusiasm will take New South Wales a long way but it's hard not to envision experience and class telling in the end. Maroons by six points.

Titanic
28-05-14, 04:11 PM
What a shame that word will never be used when it comes to describing his time with the Titans
Yep, a shame really ... he and Tommy Tomato make a great pair.

DIEHARD
28-05-14, 06:40 PM
I wonder if I can find something maroon in the next hour. I left all my QLD gear in Australia.

Jonathonbcode
28-05-14, 06:53 PM
GO THE BLUES!

Bayside Titan
28-05-14, 07:58 PM
Go Qld. However abit nervous about this season. NSW have picked a good side.

DavidBouveng
28-05-14, 11:03 PM
great game, especially the second half, one the tightest, most warrior like efforts from both teams under fatigue i can remember.

Two tries all, and Hayne was clearly the difference.

Hayne was Lockyer-like, and Reynolds was always pushing forwards, shame he is such a grubby pest. he should get 4 weeks minimum for his spear on tate.

DCE took a while to get going as he would not have been mentally ready to play at 6th minute, and using him cost us some forward rotation and rest in the forward pack. Inglis was missing mostly, and Thurston had a rare off game. He couldnt find the right pass when he needed it. Just as QLD were hammering forward set after set, we slowed down and play 'titan-ball' and lost our momentum, letting blues hold on.

Bloody great game to watch,its just a shame Gallen has so little class.

Tamwelg
28-05-14, 11:06 PM
Even though QLD didn't win, I'd have to say that was one of the toughest origins in years.

Jonathonbcode
28-05-14, 11:38 PM
I'm so glad that the Blues won! A lot of dodgy calls from Shane Hayne..it was amazing. I'm glad that our boys hung in there and did the job..also, two more games to go, so hopefully we can win it down in Sydney. A great game though, my heart was pounding out of my chest, so much adrenaline running through my body.

GO THE BLUES!!!

Oh, no. I was just reading that Daley has always wanted to go in with a club combination, and if Reynolds IS suspended for two games. Maloney and Pearce are back in :duh2:

TITAN PETE
29-05-14, 07:30 AM
That was the most Brutal Origin I have ever attended & was a great advertisement for our game.

Hayne was brilliant all night at fullback but the Defence from both teams was awesome

As a Titans fan I would love to see Myles play like that just once for his club before he retires

Titanic
29-05-14, 09:40 AM
Aaaaaghhhh faaaaarrrrrk, if not for a few dodgy calls we would have won it ... good win NSWailers :) :)

TITAN PETE
29-05-14, 10:26 AM
Aaaaaghhhh faaaaarrrrrk, if not for a few dodgy calls we would have won it ... good win NSWailers :) :)

Dodgy calls :laugh: , like the last 5 minutes that all went one way....it was great to quiet 50k Qlders at fulltime

GCT_89
29-05-14, 11:34 AM
I don't remember going to sleep last night!!! Might have got a little carried away with the victory....

Booking tickets now for game 2....

Jonathonbcode
29-05-14, 11:34 AM
I thought in the VERY last play, oh no..Inglis and Boyd are going to combine, or Thurston will combine with Slater. BUT, they hung on and I'm very proud of them. If Reynolds is out for game 2..just bring in Jarrod Mullen..

TITAN PETE
29-05-14, 11:50 AM
Casualties of war force Mal’s hand
TRAVIS MEYN GOLD COAST BULLETIN MAY 29, 2014 10:59AM

QUEENSLAND is facing a daunting trip to Sydney to save their dreams of a ninth straight Origin series without half-back Cooper Cronk and possibly captain Cameron Smith.

Cronk is certain to miss the ANZ Stadium showdown on June 18 because of a broken arm while Smith was last night battling an ankle injury after the thrilling 12-8 loss to NSW at Suncorp Stadium.

But the Blues’ victory could come at a cost with five-eighth Josh Reynolds facing suspension after being hit with a grade two dangerous throw charge for a tackle on Brent Tate.

Reynolds will miss two weeks with an early guilty plea, ruling him out of the return bout and leaving NSW to look for a new halves combination while they are also expected to be without Josh Morris (knee), Brett Morris (shoulder) and Anthony Watmough (bicep).

Blues skipper Paul Gallen played down the tackle but it’s left Reynolds in a limbo.

“He put him a dangerous position but he (Tate) landed flat on his back,” Gallen said.

Queensland has their own worries too with Smith *admitting his ankle wasn’t in great shape.

“It’s a bit dusty at the *moment,” he said.

“I’ve got to see how it pulls up and goes from there.

“We’re no strangers to being one-nil down. We’re in a situation where we have to go down and win now.

“We’ve got the players and staff to do that. We need to bring the right attitude.”

The Blues shot out to a 12-4 lead in the second half but Queensland responded in a riveting Origin clash that went to the wire.

But the loss of Cronk after just 10 minutes put them on the back foot with Daly Cherry-Evans taking time to find his feet in the halves and they couldn’t find the killer blow in the final stages.

“Origin’s all about taking opportunities when they arise and we didn’t really take that,” Maroons coach Mal Meninga said.

“We’re lucky in the fact we had Daly.

“It does throw you off.

“It takes your bench to three and this environment it makes it difficult.

“That’s not an excuse. I thought we did enough to win that game.

“NSW to their credit were outstanding. Their scramble defence was fantastic.”

Cherry-Evans will be given the No. 7 jersey for Game Two while Sam Thaiday will come back into the side with Meninga to field a four-forward bench.

Titanic
29-05-14, 01:14 PM
Dodgy calls, like the last 5 minutes that all went one way
Just trolling with the best of them now that Matchu/CSF has been speyed.

DIEHARD
29-05-14, 01:31 PM
Bitter to lose. But that was an epic game. And the perfect introductory to Rugby League for my American friend. He was amazed and really enjoyed it. Previously he had only been exposed to AFL while in Melbourne.

Queensland had our chances but we couldn't get the job done. Losing Cronk was a big blow.

TV ratings were massive. Great crowd.

Hayne was amazing. I certainly never bought into the deathriding of the man for years.

Inglis was like Moby Dick and I spent most of the game searching for him.

Queensland needs Taylor.

None of our high balls did any damage and Thurston was off with the boot.

I know it's not time to panic. But I think Inglis should be at fullback.

Jonathonbcode
29-05-14, 01:38 PM
I'm a NSW supporter but I don't think Slater should be dropped at all, I thought he was pretty good but he has slowed down a bit. Cherry Evans will be better for the run, QLD will only get better..everyone knows that.

I would bring in Thaiday for McQueen, as Thaiday still might need to take it a bit easy and Guerra still retains a spot in the team. I thought Guerra really stood up in those last 10 minutes. I could see Lawrence from Manly or Taylor come in for Papalii. Also Bird in for Scott, Fifita in for Watmough (he may be injured) and Mullen in for Reynolds (suspension).

I just wish that God, Allah, Buddah, Jesus..ANY GOD, doesn't allow Pearce to get a spot in the team. ALL of the hard work would be undone.

Toads
29-05-14, 04:21 PM
It's fairly evident who had the better prep going into the first game last night, and losing Cronk early brought that to the fore. Fear not, it'll only force DCE to get up to speed with the rest of the spine, I'm fairly confident they'll gel pretty well by the next game.

Blues deserved to win last night. Somehow they've found the hunger 'n passion again which means we have a real competition on our hands for 2014 (even though the Blues have come close in recent years). :)

Titanic
29-05-14, 07:10 PM
I don't think Slater should go at all but Inglis needs to get a rocket up his great hairy djin ... he was too often flat-footed. McQueen and Gillett are not up to Origin standard and Papalii looked like he'd just come from a buffet. That cheap shot on the big grub Gallen was embarrassing and I reckon he'll pay for that next time they meet. Te'o needs more game time too.

Thaiday and a "concentrating on his game" Taylor would make a huge difference and to be fair Scott would have to be gutted if he was dropped. Bird for Watmough, imho. Also I couldn't see the Woods for the trees.

1. Slater
2. Boyd
3. Inglis
4. Hodges
5. Tate
6. Thurston
7. DCE
8. Scott
9. Friend (Jake)
10. Myles
11. Taylor
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Te'o
15. Guerra
16. Kasiano
17. Segeyaro

C-Whiz
29-05-14, 07:59 PM
I don't think Slater should go at all but Inglis needs to get a rocket up his great hairy djin ... he was too often flat-footed. and Papalii looked like he'd just come from a buffet.

Thaiday and a "concentrating on his game" Taylor would make a huge difference and to be fair Scott would have to be gutted if he was dropped. Papalii was a passenger walking around like someone had stolen his car keys. Worst on field. By a mile.

Inglis only showed glimpses, and I CANNOT BELIEVE he didn't take Hayne on one-on-one in the early stages. Also surprised he didn;t go looking for more pill. Hodges was out of sync.

Taylor would have been amazing last night, especially off the bench, but Te'o was strong towards the end. Probably needed a bit more time, not sure how long he was on, but he seemed to have plenty left at the end.

NSW last 15 minutes defence was stuff of legends. Well done NSW, a well deserved victory in a classic Origin match.