PDA

View Full Version : Albert Kelly t for Country bench spot, says Greg Bird

DIEHARD
26-04-14, 03:09 AM

TITANS skipper Greg Bird has urged NSW Country selectors to take a chance on Gold Coast halfback Albert Kelly and give the livewire No.7 an opportunity to show his skills off the bench at rep level next week.

With NSW Origin quartet James Maloney, Todd Carney, Jarrod Mullen and Jamie Soward all fighting to be squeezed into the two starting halves positions, Bird believes Kelly shouldn’t be overlooked if they want someone to spark something from nothing.

Kelly has shown this year with his five tries, including four from either intercepts or turnovers, that he has an uncanny ability to create opportunities from very little and is thriving in the quicker play of the NRL ruck speeds in 2014.

“I think Albert Kelly has probably been one of the standout halfbacks for the year,” Bird said. “I don’t know whether they’re thinking of starting him or putting him on the bench but I think he definitely deserves an opportunity to show his wares at rep level.

“The Country halves are quite strong - Maloney, *Mullen and Carney. There is a few in there to start but I’m confident he wouldn’t look out of place in one of those bench spots.”

With rep jumpers on the line this weekend, the stakes are high for all players, but it is the Titans with more motivation than most.

Gold Coast players won’t forget the 42-12 drubbing they copped from the Tigers at their own home ground in round two and will head to Leichhardt Oval on Sunday desperate for retribution.

As superb as the Tigers were six weeks ago, the Titans were hampered by a virus that ripped through the camp, with up to six players who took the field in near 40C temperatures affected.

“They did a number on us last time up here,” Bird said.

“The boys will be out with a point to prove, especially our middle. They poured through our middle quite easily and the boys want to get out there and make amends for that.”

Co-captain Nate Myles said the Titans refused to use illness as an excuse against the Tigers and would head to Sydney determined to grind out another victory.

“We try to break down things pretty simple with our efforts this year. Everyone was feeling the effects of round two so we knew we needed to dig a bit deeper for each other,” Myles said.

“Obviously our wins aren’t coming off the back of flashy or charismatic football but we’re getting the job done.

“We know we can match it with anyone, we just have to make sure we train and perform well enough to be doing it every week.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/

Titanic
26-04-14, 12:42 PM
To be a punching bag off the bench doesn't impress me at all ... if he was chosen at a starter he may learn something, otherwise ... neh.