View Full Version : Round 8: WESTS TIGERS vs TITANS

DIEHARD
13-04-14, 04:06 PM
WESTS TIGERS vs TITANS

3:00 PM SUNDAY, 27 APRIL LEICHHARDT OVAL

DIEHARD
13-04-14, 04:06 PM
Farah racing clock for Origin I

Preparations for New South Wales to end the eight-year dominance of Queensland have been thrown into further turmoil with hooker Robbie Farah to race the clock to be fit for State of Origin I on May 28.

Farah dislocated his elbow in the 78th minute of the Wests Tigers' gritty 16-4 win over North Queensland on Saturday night. Scans this morning confirmed there were no broken bones but the club said he faced a layoff of as long as six weeks, making his availability for coach Laurie Daley's Game One team highly unlikely.

"Scans last night revealed no fracture to the arm, however Farah is set to miss approximately six weeks with the injury," the Tigers said in a statement on the club's website.

"Farah suffered the dislocation in the 78th minute of last night’s game, with the elbow relocated by Wests Tigers medical staff on field."

Farah posted on Twitter today: "Thanks for all msgs. Unfortunately I'll miss 5-6 weeks but could of been a lot worse. Proud of the effort from the boys last night. Tough win."

While Queensland have no major injury concerns following both Justin Hodges and Josh Papalii making successful comebacks over the past two weeks, the Blues now have both their captain in Paul Gallen and vice-captain in Farah sidelined five weeks before the team for Game One is due to be announced.

The loss of Farah would provide Daley with a sizeable headache as he would be forced to weigh up going back to either of the experienced duo in Kurt Gidley or Michael Ennis or look to introduce some new blood in either the Dragons' Mitch Rein or Parramatta's Nathan Peats who have both been integral in their sides' early-season resurgences.

Two other more experienced candidates with Country Origin experience are Melbourne's Ryan Hinchcliffe and Josh McCrone at the Raiders, although neither are the starting hookers at their respective clubs.

http://www.nrl.com/

Boofhead
14-04-14, 09:38 AM
Tedesco and Farah out... They carved us up last outing. :wave:

Titanic
14-04-14, 10:10 AM
One good shot on Brookes and we are a chance.

DIEHARD
21-04-14, 09:12 PM
* BUMP*

Tigers coming off an enthusiastic win. Plus we are at Leichhardt Oval!

Toads
21-04-14, 09:14 PM
* BUMP*

Tigers coming off an enthusiastic win. Plus we are at Leichhardt Oval!

If that's the case, it's gunna be hard to back us with vbookie this game.

lonegull
21-04-14, 09:23 PM
The way the tigers played today they will once again put 40 on us, the way they played against the eels the titans won't be able to match them even without Farrah and tedesco

DavidBouveng
21-04-14, 09:43 PM
this might not be pretty...who am i kidding. even if we win it wont be pretty. we are the spoilers of the NRL.

We play Carty / ricky stuart / gallen / football, which may keep it close,and you will scrap home against some lower sides but when u face class, you will get dusted.

Titanic
21-04-14, 10:45 PM
There will rip us another one.

shamus
22-04-14, 08:43 AM
There will rip us another one.

Geez....I don't have room for a third...:ugh:

Titanic
22-04-14, 10:41 AM
Geez....I don't have room for a third...:ugh:
That's why they call him two d1cks ... couldn't be that silly from pulling only one.

timor 2
22-04-14, 03:15 PM
The iSelect Titans have taken an early guilty plea on the grade two dangerous throw charge issued for Matt White’s tackle on Penrith’s Adam Docker last night. The charge’s 243 demerit points means White will miss two matches.

White joins the injured fellow front-rower Luke Bailey on the sidelines and his place in the 17 will be taken by Mark Ioane who has been in excellent form for the Burleigh Bears.

There are no other changes to the Titans’ preliminary side announced today to take on Wests Tigers at Leichhardt Oval on Sunday.

Bailey (ankle) and fullback William Zillman (hamstring) will miss at least one more match, but are hopeful of being fit for round 9’s clash with South Sydney at Cbus Super Stadium on May 10, after an extra week’s break after the representative weekend.

The preliminary team v Wests Tigers, round eight:

1 - David Mead

2 - Kevin Gordon

3 – Maurice Blair

4 – Brad Takairangi

5 – Anthony Don

6 - Aidan Sezer

7 - Albert Kelly

8 - Luke Douglas

9 - Beau Falloon

10 - Nate Myles (capt)

11 - Greg Bird (capt)

12 – David Taylor

13 - Ashley Harrison

INTERCHANGE

14 – Mark Ioane

15 – Ryan James

16 - Mark Minichiello

17 - Paul Carter

18 – William Zillman

Smakked
22-04-14, 03:39 PM
Not looking forward to this game, can see a cricket score form the Tiges again

Hail Sezer
22-04-14, 03:45 PM
If Zillman is going to miss 1 more match then why is he named at 18th?

TITAN PETE
22-04-14, 03:54 PM

To get him used to wearing a reserve's number :rolleyes:

shamus
22-04-14, 05:15 PM

To get him used to wearing a reserve's number :rolleyes:

Coz he is the 18th best NRL fullback?

Supergoose
22-04-14, 10:11 PM
Even though our attack inside the opposition 20 has been woeful, we can beat the Tigers. I'm sure the boys will be up for this one and ready to get some revenge for their previous humiliation. We were stopping the Panthers go forward last night but were repeatedly penalised for minor indiscretions. If we can get half a look in from the refs as far as penalties go we can stop the Tigers go forward. Bird won't play two shockers in a row (I hope). I'm going to back our boys to make a statement in this game. The Eels were pretty ordinary last week against them, we won't be.

Mr Stupid
23-04-14, 08:46 AM
I agree, we can win and I'm backing the boys to do so. Ever the optimist when it comes to my team.

TITAN PETE
23-04-14, 10:28 AM
Titans insist they belong at the top
By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent
NRL.com
5:30pm Tue 22nd April, 2014

Statisticians and commentators alike have been pointing at the numbers and questioning the Titans' right to take up residence at the top of the premiership table but coach John Cartwright insists he is only concerned with how many games his side wins.

Gold Coast's four-game winning streak came to an end on Monday night when they weren't able to replicate their Houdini efforts of the previous two weeks in going down to the Panthers 14-12 but they remain one of only four teams with five wins from the first seven weeks.

The Titans will be without in-form front-rower Matthew White for Sunday's clash with the Wests Tigers at Leichhardt Oval after the club accepted a two-game suspension for a Dangerous Throw in the 61st minute of the loss on Monday night.

Mark Ioane, who has been outstanding for Burleigh in the Intrust Super Cup, gets his chance on the bench in place of White while Luke Bailey (ankle) and William Zillman (hamstring) have been given extra time to get over their respective injuries.

Although the Titans are near the bottom of the competition in a host of statistical categories, Cartwright rejected the notion they were false competition leaders as has been suggested over the past seven days.

"We can't be bothered with what people say. There are a few people out there saying that but the bottom line is your win-loss ratio is where you're going to be judged and we'll be out there trying to win this week," Cartwright said upon the Titans' return to Coolangatta.

"If you look at all the sides over the weekend, the Souths, the Canterburys, the Panthers, it's just the way footy's being played at the moment. I haven't seen a side go out and put 40 on when two good sides play each other, it's just the way football is.

"We're all here reporting on the Gold Coast Titans because we watch them closely but there's no other team out there doing much different to what we're doing. We just happen to have been winning the games.

"When you look at averages you always take away your best and your worst performances and when you do that we're right up there with the very best sides so I'm not real worried about what people say.

"We've got things to fix up but the things that basically win you football games, they're doing very well."

Under the new rule changes and the subsequent increase in ruck speed very few sides have appeared fluent in attack in consecutive weeks and Gold Coast five-eighth Aidan Sezer said he must shoulder much of the burden for the Titans' misfiring offence.

"Our defence keeps us in the games and we've just got to get our attack right and that's something we've got to keep working on. The more games we can play together the better we'll play," Sezer told NRL.com.

"We're getting better in patches but I just think over a full 80 we've got to put in a more consistent performance. I've got to take on a bit of that responsibility myself and try to get our execution in attack a little bit better.

"The past two wins we've been turning up for each other and that's something you can't keep getting away with. You've got to actually beat teams and beat them convincingly.

"It's something we're trying to work on and hopefully we can turn it around against the Tigers in a big game at Leichhardt next Sunday.”

- - - Updated - - -

Brooks ready to step up in Farah's absence
By Roje Adaimy
AAP
3:23pm Tue 22nd April, 2014

He's just a cub, but Luke Brooks says he's primed to take over chief growling duties in the absence of injured Wests Tigers skipper Robbie Farah.

The 19-year-old impressed his coach, teammates and plenty of fans in Monday's 21-18 win over Parramatta with his level-headedness in what proved to be an epic NRL match.

He showed the utmost composure to slot the match-winning field goal with three minutes left on the clock, after getting the tick of approval from stand-in captain and halves partner Braith Anasta.

"I think we got the ball 50 out, so we were just setting up for it and we looked at each other and we go, `Who wants it?'" Brooks said on Tuesday.

"He said, `Yeah, you take it'.

"We just set up like we do at training and luckily it went over.

"I felt pretty calm because we've practiced it before at training."

Coach Mick Potter praised the youngster - already tipped as a future NSW Origin representative - for his ability to cope with the occasion in front of more than 50,000 people.

"He takes it in his stride. If he was playing park footy he would be the same. It really doesn't faze him. He's good to coach and he's good to watch," Potter said post-match.

With Farah sidelined for up to six weeks with an elbow injury, Brooks said the NSW hooker had urged him to speak up and not be afraid to call the shots without him.

"He said I needed to step up with him being out," the halfback said.

"(He said) me and Braith needed to take control of the team. But I think we've got to improve a bit on that.

"It gives me confidence having my teammates have confidence in me, and the coaching staff.

"It really helps a lot."

Brooks, who has only played eight NRL games, said he paid little notice of the hype surrounding his rising status in the game - so much so that he didn't even know he'd made the back page of a Sydney newspaper on Tuesday.

"I probably won't pick up the paper today," he laughed.

"I guess just reading it I might get ahead of myself, so I try not to read that stuff."

The Tigers sit second on the ladder with five wins in seven games, and on Monday face the Gold Coast who've also only dropped two games this year.

Titanic
23-04-14, 11:20 AM
Coach Mick Potter praised the youngster - already tipped as a future NSW Origin representative - for his ability to cope with the occasion in front of more than 50,000 people.
Let's see how he goes in front of 50 people.

DavidBouveng
23-04-14, 05:29 PM
I didn't quite understand the fan fare over a halfback calling and taking the field goal attempt... It's his job. Get it done.

Mexican titan
23-04-14, 05:49 PM
I didn't quite understand the fan fare over a halfback calling and taking the field goal attempt... It's his job. Get it done.

You are right there DB but I look at his development as a 19 year old and think why we don't/can't bring on kids that quick. Perhaps it's the coaching? No, that can't be it.

Hail Sezer
23-04-14, 08:18 PM
Titans website said Blair is in doubt

If he is out then who will come in?

Taylor to Centre? Liks doesn't look likely, neither does Michaels. Not sure what else we are going to do, unless I'm missing someone obvious?

DavidBouveng
23-04-14, 08:42 PM
sezer. not even sure if im joking.

TITAN PETE
23-04-14, 10:49 PM
A little of the topic but those who have been asking about Likiliki he played for the Bears on Sunday & after letting 3 tries in himself he was replaced by James Dunley who is a Backrower but the coach just said go out & tackle because Likiliki can't.....looks like another genius purchase by the Titans

Supergoose
23-04-14, 11:14 PM
Noticed Likiliki is on the end of a very long extended bench for the Bears. Hopefully he is getting stuck into the defensive work as his attacking attributes are something that we need. My guess is Zillman will replace Blair at left centre. Won't matter who plays there they won't get the ball unless it is offloaded by Bird. Condon's report on Zillman sounded like he was ready to play this weekend and if Blair is out with that wrist injury then Zillman could be the man. Otherwise I expect Fai Fai Loa to come in and Gordon might interchange at centre with him.

DIEHARD
25-04-14, 12:14 AM
Curtis Sironen signed to new three-year deal with the Wests Tigers

CURTIS Sironen has signed a new three-year deal with the Wests Tigers that will keep him at the club until the end of the 2017 NRL season.

One of a glut of talented youngsters at the joint venture, Sironen hasn't played this season due to a foot injury sustained at the Auckland Nines.

The utility is due for a round-13 return.

The son of club legend Paul Sironen, the 20-year-old said he was glad to secure his future.

“I'm extremely delighted to have extended my contract at the Wests Tigers,” Sironen said.

“Being a local junior, I have always wanted to play NRL for the club.

“I'm looking forward to what the future holds and to be playing NRL alongside some of my best mates is really important to me.

“There is a really good feel around the club and it's an exciting place to be a part of.”

Coach Mick Potter hailed the re-signing as further good news for the in-form Tigers.

“I'm really happy that Curtis is going to be at the Wests Tigers, long term,” Potter said.

“He is an exceptional athlete and his benefit to the team is that he can play a range of positions.

“Curtis is big enough, strong enough and has great skills — his kicking game and passing game are an extremely valuable asset and I'm looking forward to his return from injury.

“It's really good for everyone at the club that our young players want to stay.

“They see a future here and want to keep playing with the players they have been brought up with,” he said.

Sironen, with 25 NRL games for the Tigers, represented City Origin last year.

The second-placed Tigers have enjoyed a 5-2 start to the season and host the fourth-placed Gold Coast at Leichhardt Oval in round seven on Sunday.

http://www.news.com.au

DIEHARD
25-04-14, 12:15 AM
Tiger wounds still hurting for Titans

Clearly Gold Coast's scars from their NRL mauling by Wests Tigers are still a long way from fully healed.

The Titans take on the in-form Tigers at Leichhardt Oval on Sunday with memories of their 42-12 thrashing in round two on their minds.

Veteran forward Ash Harrison says while Sunday's trip to Tigers heartland isn't about revenge, there's obviously a record he and his teammates want to set straight.

"No-one can forget round two this year when they gave us a deadset thumping," Harrison said.

"That's still very present in our mind and we're coming off a loss as well.

"Our game's too hard to be worrying about revenge. It's about getting our footy on.

"We haven't been great the whole season thus far and we've got a lot of improving to do and we're looking to do that this weekend."

Harrison was enjoying comfortable surroundings on Wednesday as he helped his sons Ethan and Will take part in a dress rehearsal for a children's fashion parade which will be part of the Titans' Women in League lunch in May.

The atmosphere couldn't be any more different on Sunday as the Tigers aim to continue an imposing record at Leichhardt despite the absence of injured skipper Robbie Farah.

"You have a look at their win-loss record there, they win more than they lose and they're a team in form," Harrison said.

"We'll definitely have our work cut out for us."

It's been two weeks since Harrison announced he would retire at season's end and while an intimidating trip to Leichhardt doesn't sound exciting for a travelling player, the 32-year-old says he's making the most of every game left in his career.

"It was definitely a weight off my shoulders and I'm just bouncing into training," he said.

"Enjoying every day because you never know when it's going to be all over. When you've got that end point you play every game as if it's your last."

https://nz.sports.yahoo.com

DIEHARD
25-04-14, 01:01 AM
https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1.0-9/1926945_10152424691876514_6046107431007732853_n.jp g

Titanic
25-04-14, 10:23 AM
I'll bet Cartwright finds a way to get Zillman to fullback.

Toads
25-04-14, 11:09 AM
That'd be an even money bet..

When TP does make it back to Fullback. We'll know that they've probably canned most of Henry's input, and we can pretty well resign ourselves to the fact that our season is done.. :p

teke
25-04-14, 01:28 PM
I'll bet Cartwright finds a way to get Zillman to fullback.Zillman is the fb, Mead has been told this on numerous occasions

DIEHARD
25-04-14, 04:37 PM
Sportal: TIGERS v TITANS preview

Wests Tigers host Gold Coast Titans at Leichhardt Oval on Sunday, April 27 in Round 8 of the NRL.

The match kicks off at 3pm.

What: NRL Round 8

Who: Wests Tigers v Gold Coast

When: Sunday 27th April – 3pm

Where: Leichhardt Oval

I Can Watch It On: Channel Nine

Form Guide
WT - LWWLWWW
GC - WLWWWWL

Things You Need To Know:
Human wrecking ball James Gavet is a huge loss for the Tigers, the enforcer dropping out with a hamstring injury. Sitaleki Akauola is on the bench to accommodate the return of Liam Fulton.
The Titans' only change is Mark Ioane coming in for the suspended Matt White. Surprisingly William Zillman is still out of the side after reports he was training last week.

Reason To Watch:
Two (surprise) heavyweights go head to head with the Tigers coming off three wins and playing their best footy in recent seasons. The Titans are firming in premiership contention after a 5-2 start to the season. The Tigers always aim up at Leichhardt, and their 42-12 win over the Titans earlier this season shouldn't be brushed aside.

Reason To Turn Away:
Just when the Tigers thought they'd never hear of him again, Benji arrives home asking for forgiveness from the rugby league brethren. He won't be in black and gold again but the mere mention of his name is guaranteed to start a blue in Tigertown.
Say What:

"I'm not getting ahead of myself – the coaching staff know it's a long haul getting to the semis." – Mick Potter is keeping it real despite the Tigers' great start to 2014.

Final Word:
Recent form and home ground advantage will get the Wests Tigers across the line – but only just. WT by 6.
Sportingbet Odds:
WT – $1.77
GC - $2.08

Source: http://www.sportal.com.au

DIEHARD
26-04-14, 03:08 AM
Greg Bird seeks revenge of the Gold Coast Titans

Greg Bird will be out to steer his team to victory over the Tigers. Picture: Adam Head Source: News Corp Australia
NRL players typically play down talk of revenge as being any sort of motivation for a coming contest.

But Greg Bird has never been one to run with the pack, and so it should surprise no one that the Titans co-captain yesterday broke with tradition, declaring his side would travel to Leichardt Oval tomorrow desperate to atone for the embarrassment of their round-two thumping by Wests Tigers.

“They got us good up here earlier in the year and I think it is fair to say we were all pretty embarrassed about what happened there on our home patch,” Bird admitted.

“We’re going down to their, I guess, spiritual home and it would be nice to repay the favour because they did a real number on us,’’ he added, referring to the 42-12 scoreline.

“Every loss is disappointing but that match was pretty ugly and I think while the whole group wants to make amends, Sunday is pretty important to our guys in the middle there.’’

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/greg-bird-seeks-revenge-of-the-gold-coast-titans/story-fnca0von-1226896404719#

a flash of gordon
26-04-14, 03:22 PM
Blair out; Nelson to make debut

Sat 26th April, 12:59PM

Centre Maurice Blair is out of the iSelect Titans side to play Wests Tigers at Leichhardt Oval tomorrow because of a wrist injury suffered on Monday night.

Dave Taylor will switch from the second row to play left centre in his place, and Mullumbimby junior Cody Nelson will make his NRL debut off the bench at age 24.

Nelson, who missed most of last season with an ACL injury, has been playing well for the Tweed Heads Seagulls after coming through the Titans under-20s.

TITAN PETE
26-04-14, 04:02 PM
Cody Nelson is one of the unluckiest footy players in our clubs history & probably would've made his debut 3 years ago if not for major injuries suffered playing Q Cup, I hope he has a blinder :thumbsup:

Titan4Life
26-04-14, 04:21 PM
Good to hear Nelson get a chance. Would be great if he goes out there and carves up.

Titan4Life
26-04-14, 04:51 PM
Interesting to see Titans FB page saying Michaels will replace Blair if he is injured. Really hope this isn't true :nope:

Bayside Titan
26-04-14, 04:55 PM
Typical Cartwrong selection and playing a player out of position.

TITAN PETE
26-04-14, 05:00 PM
Interesting to see Titans FB page saying Michaels will replace Blair if he is injured. Really hope this isn't true :nope:

Considering he played a full game yesterday I don't think that would happen, why wouldn't Faifai loa get the start

Titan4Life
26-04-14, 05:06 PM
Considering he played a full game yesterday I don't think that would happen, why wouldn't Faifai loa get the start

That's what I was thinking.

DavidBouveng
26-04-14, 06:34 PM
Very happy to see Cody get a run, and interested to see how DT goes. , might not get as much ball with bird inside him.
wish ffl got a run too

karnage
26-04-14, 09:41 PM
Taylor to centre is completely f@$!ed.

GCT_89
26-04-14, 10:56 PM
Taylor to centre is completely f@$!ed.

DT played his best game of the season at centre a few weeks ago....

teke
27-04-14, 12:00 AM
Taylor to centre is completely f@$!ed.not really considering the options we have, which are basically none

Tamwelg
27-04-14, 09:36 AM
Dave Taylor to play centre. Cody Nelson to bench. Not sure who's out.

TITAN PETE
27-04-14, 09:45 AM
Dave Taylor to play centre. Cody Nelson to bench. Not sure who's out.

Maurice Blair ruled out yesterday

mdrew
27-04-14, 01:20 PM
NYC leading 16-4, fingers crossed

Hail Sezer
27-04-14, 01:21 PM
Our left side going strong

TITAN PETE
27-04-14, 01:26 PM
NYC leading 16-4, fingers crossed

Danial Schwass was a late inclusion this morning after Hazard pulled out

Hail Sezer
27-04-14, 01:33 PM
Yeah thats huge from schwass considering he played 2 days ago too

TITAN PETE
27-04-14, 01:38 PM
Yeah thats huge from schwass considering he played 2 days ago too

After he played on Friday I told him his brother played great :eyebrows:

Hail Sezer
27-04-14, 01:47 PM
Hahah he told me they linked up nicely for a few plays.

Brian Kelly gets a hatrick in NYC game

TITAN PETE
27-04-14, 01:57 PM
Hahah he told me they linked up nicely for a few plays.

Brian Kelly gets a hatrick in NYC game
They played along side each other all game until Haydo was interchange late in the 2nd half , with Hayden playing in th backrow he has quickly bulked up which makes life easier telling them apart :thumbsup:

mdrew
27-04-14, 02:28 PM
Congratulations to the NYC side who won 36-14. Well done to all involved

DIEHARD
27-04-14, 02:54 PM
Wow nearly got tricked into thinking that this was on tomorrow.

Brock O'Brien
27-04-14, 03:09 PM
I think James is starting prop, Mini is in the second row now that DT is in the centres.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for the spam guys, but does anyone know why we are wearing our home jersey today?

gotitans101_
27-04-14, 03:14 PM
Wow what a try. Kelly at his ball running best.

Titan4Life
27-04-14, 03:20 PM
At least we have started the game ahead by 8. Need to keep it up.

DIEHARD
27-04-14, 03:27 PM
Up the Titans! Great to see Titan Blue vs Tiger Orange.

DIEHARD
27-04-14, 03:29 PM
At least we have started the game ahead by 8. Need to keep it up.

For sure. I just tuned in. So that is a converted try and a penalty goal or two unconverted tries?

DIEHARD
27-04-14, 03:30 PM
OK answers my question

http://www.leagueoftitans.com.au/score_stats.php

DIEHARD
27-04-14, 03:33 PM
Myles binned (Stupidity), Tigers cross the line. No try fortunately.

Titan4Life
27-04-14, 03:33 PM
Oh oh.... Albert Kelly up the tunnel :frown:

DIEHARD
27-04-14, 03:35 PM
Oh oh.... Albert Kelly up the tunnel :frown:

Oh damn, was it from the contact from the challenge when he kicked?

My coverage is dropping in and out.

DIEHARD
27-04-14, 03:37 PM
Good result for us with a line drop out.

Hopefully we can hold on until Myles is back. Tick Tock.

Titan4Life
27-04-14, 03:40 PM
Oh damn, was it from the contact from the challenge when he kicked?

My coverage is dropping in and out.

Yeah think so. Now Sezer down. Ankle injury apparently.

- - - Updated - - -

Sezers okay I think.

Brock O'Brien
27-04-14, 03:41 PM
Yeah think so. Now Sezer down. Ankle injury apparently.

- - - Updated - - -

Sezers okay I think.

- - - Updated - - -

Good luck to Nelson who is now out there.

Sezer was down for a bit then as well while Bird took the kick. I'm so angry that our key players are getting injured from illegal late tackles

DIEHARD
27-04-14, 03:44 PM
I really hope this game doesnt come at a highcost.

10-nil.

Brock O'Brien
27-04-14, 03:47 PM
Great work Carter!

Titan4Life
27-04-14, 03:49 PM
Great work Carter!

Yep great work. Good first half from us. 16-0

DIEHARD
27-04-14, 03:49 PM
Beautiful try off a charge down by Carter, Don finishes the good work. Looks like it is our day.

DIEHARD
27-04-14, 03:55 PM
Phantom Siren?!

DIEHARD
27-04-14, 03:58 PM
Half time

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1.0-9/p480x480/10151966_10152359475724593_4871198506343823723_n.j pg

Titan4Life
27-04-14, 04:01 PM
Good first half. Surely we can't lose from here?

Stalks
27-04-14, 04:03 PM
Good first half. Surely we can't lose from here?

We've seen what happens to the boys when they think they have it won and go to sleep - time to put the points differential into positive!

DIEHARD
27-04-14, 04:05 PM
One more try would put WT to sleep. Im not that convinced with the performance, scoreline flatters off two penalty goals and a charge down try. But great effort to hold them out.

DIEHARD
27-04-14, 04:10 PM
I wish Ray would stop using words like neck and spin.

Stalks
27-04-14, 04:10 PM
Possible leg fracture for Alby??

DIEHARD
27-04-14, 04:11 PM
Albert to hospital for xrays on suspected fractured leg.

Titan4Life
27-04-14, 04:12 PM
Albert to hospital for xrays on suspected fractured leg.

Not good.....

DIEHARD
27-04-14, 04:13 PM
Wow Wests Tigers nearly bombed a try here. Looks like they got away with it.

Titan4Life
27-04-14, 04:14 PM
Not a good start to second half.

Stalks
27-04-14, 04:15 PM
Let's focus boys and put them to the sword

DIEHARD
27-04-14, 04:18 PM
That pro Tigers Leichardt crowd is a worry.

Stalks
27-04-14, 04:20 PM
That pro Tigers Leichardt crowd is a worry.

As one eyed as a dodgy Bond villian!

DIEHARD
27-04-14, 04:21 PM
Impressive strength by Mead for a small guy.

Titan4Life
27-04-14, 04:23 PM
Another try to us should wrap the game up. Let's get it done

Brock O'Brien
27-04-14, 04:24 PM
Jinxed yourself!

Titan4Life
YEAH GO BIRDY!!!!

DIEHARD
Bird scores off a grubber. Easy. That's the turning point.

He now needs to convert his own try.

DIEHARD
27-04-14, 04:27 PM
We are handling the absence of Kelly.

DIEHARD
27-04-14, 04:27 PM
BIRD IS A WANKER chant goes up. Oh you Leichardt...

Titan4Life
27-04-14, 04:31 PM
Possible try Don. COME ON!!

Stalks
27-04-14, 04:31 PM
BIRD IS A WANKER chant goes up. Oh you Leichardt...

Best response is to smoke 'em

Titan4Life
27-04-14, 04:40 PM
No try. Still 22-6

- - - Updated - - -

What happened to Nelson? 1 run for 4m.

DIEHARD
27-04-14, 04:46 PM
Clock will kill the Tigers, Gus seems to believe in them but I certainly don't.

Stalks
27-04-14, 04:46 PM
Not a great set of 6 that one...

Titan4Life
27-04-14, 04:49 PM
We have to crack them soon...

Stalks
27-04-14, 04:51 PM
Good stuff Carter!

Titan4Life
27-04-14, 04:57 PM
Carter playing outstanding. Him and Mead contenders for MOM I think

- - - Updated - - -

Taylor also a MOM contender.

DIEHARD
27-04-14, 04:58 PM
Mead got MOM. Congratulations.

Titan4Life
27-04-14, 05:00 PM
Mead got MOM. Congratulations.

Deserves it. Had a great game. We played better today, completion rate improved and defence pretty good.

rj62
27-04-14, 05:01 PM
Very good result for the boys, great turnaround from round 2. Bad news is Alby.......not good......

DIEHARD
27-04-14, 05:07 PM
Good win. Some standout performers. But at a high cost.

Mexican titan
27-04-14, 05:21 PM
Yep good win. Any win at Leichhardt I will take any day

Titan4Life
27-04-14, 05:25 PM
Worried for Kelly. Who might replace him if he is injured. Probably Blair I gather?

DIEHARD
27-04-14, 05:29 PM
Hard luck for Alby, just before some rep honours too.

DavidBouveng
27-04-14, 05:35 PM
hey lads, listened on radio while i was out today. will watch the HD replay at 6pm.

we sounded great defensively, and like a real solid team and made most of the running for the day.

tigers have been the best attacking team this year until manly today, and we really spoiled there play.

in a year when alot of teams are attacking and going try for try, we are the ugly duckling who brings people back to the mud for a wrestle. it isnt like mellbourne dangerous wrestle, i mean like a streetfight, and its not the worst trait as the teams arent used to playing that way, they get frustrated and dont know how to respond.

DavidBouveng
27-04-14, 05:54 PM
also we are now into positive points differential, and our offload stats are quite remarkable.

we lead the league on 117 offloads, and second third and fourth are on 87, 85, 84 - we are 35% ahead of the next team in an elite comp...thats very significant and probably takes up 90% of our attack training and discussion.

Boonarga
27-04-14, 05:56 PM
Worried for Kelly. Who might replace him if he is injured. Probably Blair I gather?

Here's a left field option. Sezer to half, Carter to 5/8.

TITAN PETE
27-04-14, 06:15 PM
Great win & we never looked like losing , Myles sin bin was right & I'm sure he would do it again if required , it would never have happened if Minichello hadn't fallen for the dummy & missed the tackle to start with.

Nelson only 1 hit up but was extremely strong in Defence & should be Minis replacement for the Souths match.

Great games from Taylor,Mead,Carter & Myles with a massive 48 tackles, thought James was starting to look good but gave away his standard 3 penalties..

Back on top & finally with a positive for & against..

If Alby is out Sezar to 7 & Blair 6

gotitans101_
27-04-14, 06:18 PM
I can't really fault anyone's effort today, except for James who gave away 4 dumb penalties. He really needs to work on that aspect of his game before it costs us.

Toads
27-04-14, 06:27 PM
Admittedly the Tiggers had a shocker, but the way a few of our lads stepped up today showed that we might be in for a shot of the Top 8 at the end of the season. It's the first time this year they played with confidence and prepared to back themselves. Our best showing to date this year (IMO).

Not too worried about Alby. He'll be back before we know it. Just as long as the rest of the team shows the same gumption as they did today while he's out.

GCT_89
27-04-14, 06:27 PM
Carter was amazing today... He dug in and gave us enough mongrel to draw attention away from Bird, who had an awesome tug o war with our old mate Bodene all game.... Very enjoyable to watch....lol

Hail Sezer
27-04-14, 06:29 PM
The first 30 we played good attacking footy and then kind of nestled in to the grind

I thought taka had his best game of the season despite a few lapses on defence

Titanic
27-04-14, 06:31 PM
Very good win with only James lacklustre meandering across field and his penalties marring it ... one of those was marginal but gee he is a walking (and I mean walking) liability. I think Kelly will bounce back with the rest so am not worried about that just yet.

Falloon and Sezer picked for City ... I hope they are both unavailable.

hammer
27-04-14, 06:32 PM
Do we have an update on Kelly...my thoughts when watching it was he sustained a cork...but I haven't seen anything to confirm his injury and possible time out?

GCT_89
27-04-14, 06:33 PM
Only downside, apart from Kelly, was the utter bull that channel 9 serve up Sunday after Sunday...

From the delayed start, to the rushed finish...
Made me feel like a 2nd class citizen... oh wait, I'm a RL supporter...lol

Toads
27-04-14, 06:34 PM
I hope Meady's Jaw is okay. Wasn't looking too good when he was grasping it..

TITAN PETE
27-04-14, 06:57 PM
I hope Meady's Jaw is okay. Wasn't looking too good when he was grasping it..

Thought the same thing , he actually got hit twice there & we all know it's not his strongest bone

- - - Updated - - -

Tough Titans slay sloppy Tigers
By Matt Encarnacion, Western Sydney Correspondent
NRL.com
4:59pm Sun 27th

A crucial 8-0 period with Titans skipper Nate Myles in the sin bin has inspired Gold Coast to a 22-6 road win over the Wests Tigers on Sunday afternoon.

But the courageous victory might have come at a price, with halfback Albert Kelly sent to hospital during the game for a possible leg fracture.

With Kelly already on the sideline, the visitors were thrown in further disarray when Myles was binned for a professional foul on Martin Taupau in the 24th minute.

The Tigers were controversially denied a try to centre Tim Simona in the ensuing set – again by an obstruction call – but the Titans held on and eventually outscored their opposition 8-0 despite being a man down.

On another miserable afternoon at Leichhardt Oval, points were always going to be hard to come by in the wet conditions. So when Bodene Thompson was penalised for a shoulder charge on Aidan Sezer in the third minute, Gold Coast opted for a penalty shot, but missed.

It took just four minutes for their next opportunity however, with Sezer taking full advantage of a jinking Kelly run to embarrass some arm-grabbing efforts in the middle of the park and charge through under the posts. The playmaker converted his own try and the Titans enjoyed the early 6-0 lead.

Gold Coast tried to turn the screws over the next few sets as makeshift centre Dave Taylor threw a brave offload for a flying Anthony Don in the 13th, before Kelly intercepted and ran 50m in the 16th.

But the turning point came when Kelly limped from the field after a heavy tackle from Adam Blair in the 23rd minute. In the following set, a Luke Brooks dummy opened the defence and should've ended in a supporting Martin Taupau going over the tryline, but the prop was held back by Myles.

The home side almost cashed in on the extra man immediately after Myles went to the bin, going right and crossing through Simona. But referee Gerard Sutton ruled that decoy Thompson had impeded Sezer and video referee Steve Clark agreed.

From there the Titans romped downfield, chewing up time as Bird slotted over a ruck infringement penalty in front of the sticks in the 28th minute.

Incredibly, Gold Coast – still a man down – extended their lead on a Paul Carter chargedown of a Braith Anasta kick. The impact hooker picked up the loose ball and found a flying Don to score an important try against the run of play.

Sezer again added the extras and the visitors went into the half-time break with a well-earned 16-0 first half shutout.

The Tigers needed to score first upon resumption and did so through their own impact player in Blake Austin. The utility's kick out of dummy half ricocheted off Greg Bird and his toe poke kept it alive enough for Simona to pounce on in the corner. Pat Richards' conversion went in off the upright and the home side were back in the game.

But the Titans executed the perfect reply in the 53rd minute, Sezer dribbling through for a lunging Bird and an unassailable 22-6 lead.

An opportunity for Don to nab his second was a blade of grass away from happening in the 58th minute, as it was for a desperate Liam Fulton in the 62nd. But Gold Coast were strong enough to ensure the home side never got close enough.

Simona was put on report in the 49th minute for a lifting tackle, while Carter will also have a high tackle reviewed by the match review committee.

Gold Coast Titans 22 (Sezer, Don, Bird tries; Sezer 2, Bird 3 goals) defeated Wests Tigers 6 (Simona tries; Richards goals)at Leichhardt Oval. Crowd: 8929.

GCT_89
27-04-14, 07:03 PM
Thought the same thing , he actually got hit twice there & we all know it's not his strongest bone

We need to build a jaw stabiliser (ala Tate) for Meady...

Head gear even? Anyone notice Ennis wheres head gear these days, when did that happen?

- - - Updated - - -

But the courageous victory might have come at a price, with halfback Albert Kelly sent to hospital during the game for a possible leg fracture.

Sent during game? Pretty certain he watched the game from the sheds and was there celebrating with the team post match....

Supergoose
27-04-14, 07:07 PM
I thought Harrison was great today and really got us going in the right direction. He looks determined to finish his career on a great note. Many good contributors today.

Smakked
27-04-14, 07:08 PM
NOt a bad Win, Carter played very well as did Mead yet again. Kelly could be out for a while which will hurt us. James has to stop with the stupid penaltys, and on him he looks like he isn't 100%? Running slow at the line and looks scared to hit it up. Bird always puts in 110% no matter what. Taka is doing well some awesome offloads.

Edit forgot to mention Ioane, he is a good runner nice and straight and hard. now James should be running like that.

K2G
27-04-14, 07:14 PM
From NRL.com (http://www.nrl.com/titans-ace-kelly-cleared-of-leg-fracture/tabid/10874/newsid/77981/default.aspx)

Titans ace Kelly cleared of leg fracture

By Matt Encarnacion, Western Sydney Correspondent

Gold Coast halfback Albert Kelly has been cleared of a fractured leg – and could in fact join the Country team should coach Trent Barrett need his services in Dubbo next week.

In a major scare for Titans fans, Kelly limped off the field in the first half on Sunday afternoon's 22-6 win over the Wests Tigers, with Channel Nine reporting that the 23-year-old was rushed to hospital for a possible leg fracture. But the fifth-year pro said after the game he merely suffered a major cork – the other leg.

"I didn't go no hospital, no fracture. [Just a] bit of a cork," Kelly said.

"I was in here watching the game from the window, eating muffins and watching the boys do the work."

Kelly was crunched in a tackle from Tigers hitman Adam Blair after putting up a bomb in the 23rd minute and was clearly in pain but tried to play on. One set later he came off.

"I kicked it and he tackled me in the same motion and I might've got a bump on to my leg, and just kind of felt funny after that. But I tried to run and I just couldn't," he said.

"It was more nervy and I felt like my leg died on me. I just couldn't really take off as quick. Not much power in that leg, I didn't want to be a burden for the boys.

"I think it's just a major cork for now, which is good news. I'll just be on it every night, icing, eating, compression, make sure that it'll be right for the next game."

Titans coach John Cartwright bemoaned the slow pace of the game, suggesting that officials have relaxed on the third man in tackles.

"If you look back to when the year started, the third man in, there was a lot less of that happening," he said.

"[There] seems to be a little bit more back in the game now. I'm not saying it's a bad thing - I don't necessarily think we want a game of touch footy. But it's certainly different to what it has been."

Co-captain Nate Myles – who was sin-binned in the first half for a professional foul – agreed that the game was slower than usual this season.

"It was like winding the clock there a bit. It was bash and barge there for a while. I don't know if that's the rule changes or maybe playing at Leichhardt, where it's a little bit slower," he said.

"But I thought today, both sides, I thought it was a good game of footy. Although it was a bit slow, there was some physical stuff in there."

Cartwright reserved special praise for impact hooker Paul Carter, who played the rest of the game after Kelly came off and set up a crucial try in the second half off a charge-down.

"He certainly added impact. When he come to us, you're always hopeful that a player will come and make a difference to your side, but he's only very young and hadn't played first-grade so wasn't really sure of the impact that he would make," he said.

"We were confident that he would at some stage but pretty much from game one, his work off the bench has turned the game for us and I thought again today, even though we were in front, we were under some heavy fire and he come out and returned it and give as good as he got.

"That's what the players love about him. He's just very aggressive and he didn't care how big they are. He just keeps coming."

gotitans101_
27-04-14, 07:16 PM
Great to hear, hopefully it's just that - a cork.

Mexican titan
27-04-14, 07:33 PM
Yeah great news on Alby. A week off for some of the players will help as well before what should be a great game against the Wabbits.

DavidBouveng
27-04-14, 07:40 PM
*so if kelly can play against rabbits, do we keep Taylor at centre? it really seems to suit him and gives us size and defence out wide.
*Bird bounced back from an average week with a killer performance.
*Mead is really finding his groove. is safe, consistent and busy. hunts around the middle for offoads or half gaps.
*Is Don, Is Good.
* Carter showed he is a much better back rower than hooker.
*we are getting closer to the right blend of defence with some attack. we should have scored more tries, but we are improving at least a little. our work out of our own half is actually pretty good. just the final 20m. but id rather joint comp leader with an inbuilt core of courage and grit with room for improvement in attack, than a brilliant team who also leaks like a seive a la warriors.

*rest up boys, enjoy the week off, work on some red zone plays and see you at 530 at CBUS super in two weeks where you can test urself against inglis and the brothers burgess.

K2G
27-04-14, 08:00 PM
.*so if kelly can play against rabbits, do we keep Taylor at centre? it really seems to suit him and gives us size and defence out wide.
* Carter showed he is a much better back rower than hooker.

:thumbsup:

* I can't believe the Tigers didn't throw more at the Taylor + KG combo today. I think that pairing would get tested by most teams in the comp, and carved up by 3 or 4 teams. That said, it held up alright today and it certainly gives us some size/strike on the edge - Plus it's not like the Blair + KG pairing hasn't been getting pumped so far either.

KG looks out of form/down on confidence, slower and less explosive than ever so far this season :cry: I keep telling myself he's a victim of circumstance with the way we're playing, and the lack of ball/space - but as far as the current standard of wingers in the game goes, my username is starting to worry me. I do wish we'd kick early for him, ala Cronk+Waqa once in a while...

Also, i do think Taylor should be playing on the left. He has always looked more dangerous on that side to me (Bird to lock would fix that!).

* Carter was excellent. I hope he stays on the bench as a backrower when srama comes back. I thought he was lucky not to get done for a few forward passes again today though, but his impact is huge.

DavidBouveng
27-04-14, 08:08 PM
:thumbsup:

* I can't believe the Tigers didn't throw more at the Taylor + KG combo today. I think that pairing would get tested by most teams in the comp, and carved up by 3 or 4 teams. That said, it held up alright today and it certainly gives us some size/strike on the edge - Plus it's not like the Blair + KG pairing hasn't been getting pumped so far either.

KG looks out of form/down on confidence, slower and less explosive than ever so far this season :cry: I keep telling myself he's a victim of circumstance with the way we're playing, and the lack of ball/space - but as far as the current standard of wingers in the game goes, my username is starting to worry me. I do wish we'd kick early for him, ala Cronk+Waqa once in a while...

Also, i do think Taylor should be playing on the left. He has always looked more dangerous on that side to me (Bird to lock would fix that!).

* Carter was excellent. I hope he stays on the bench as a backrower when srama comes back. I thought he was lucky not to get done for a few forward passes again today though, but his impact is huge.

KG is functioning ok. i actually like his pressure on bombs. he forces the fullback winger to play under pressure. i would put him ahead of zillman, but behind Don at the moment, and obviously Mead.

Taylor has always played best on left going right back to bronco and Souths days. he is playing really well. people who are ripping him about his weight or effort clearly arent watching the games. he would be in the top 4 or 5 vote getters im sure in the players player for the year.

rj62
27-04-14, 08:14 PM
That's great news on a Alby. Barrett can bog off and leave him out of the Country team.....purely selfish but we need him more than they do

Mexican titan
27-04-14, 08:21 PM
I'm a bit like K2G in why Taylor wasn't tested a bit more but the wet weather probably helped us there. A dry track and I think we might be in trouble there.
The improvement in Don is terrific and he certainly shouldn't be going if Zillman comes back. I think Zilly should get back to fitness in QCup when he comes back. The attack is still very concerning and it is no coincidence that both Parra and the Tigers were flat this week after their game last week - the Tigers showed little and are not the same without Farah. But, that all said, there are about 12 sides that would happily swap positions with us.

DavidBouveng
27-04-14, 08:23 PM
also, i was listening to the radio ABC call of this, and some bloke was saying when teams were named how great a year gordon is having, and then when he did something good in game said he is sure he'll make one of the rep teams named tonight...WTF is he on.

you could tell they were genuinely suprised we were a decent team, saying regularly the Titans are 'actually' playing very solid today like the rest werent....hey mate! its OUR job to rag on our team, stay out of it!

Mexican titan
27-04-14, 08:31 PM
[QUOTE=DavidBouveng;342432]also, i was listening to the radio ABC call of this, and some bloke was saying when teams were named how great a year gordon is having, and then when he did something good in game said he is sure he'll make one of the rep teams named tonight...WTF is he on.

QUOTE you could tell they were genuinely suprised we were a decent team, saying regularly the Titans are 'actually' playing very solid today like the rest werent....hey mate! its OUR job to rag on our team, stay out of it![/QUOTE

Yeah that was Warren Ryan - I was listening to that call as well and I couldn't believe it when he said that. In fact I was with my dog at an off leash park and didn't realise he was in a fight because I was tranced by that bit of commentary and heard nothing going on around me! Did you also hear how feral the crowd was. When I lived down there I thought the Redfern mob were shockers and I used to like going to Leichhardt but today sounded like all the the inmates had a day out from the asylum. Wouldn't it be great if our crowd got stuck in to the refs like that!

K2G
27-04-14, 08:32 PM
Yeah MT, I've been super impressed with Don this season. You can tell he has played some fullback, as he seems to pop up all over the field. I thought he was unlucky not to get awarded that try today, and also would've scored another if James threw that pass as well. But he has had made some really nice breaks this year, safer than zilly under the high ball, and reads well in defense - in fact, i havnt seen him have a BAD game since newcastle in the mud last year.

Zilly will get given a spot in the 17 somewhere though, I just hope it isn't at fullback... I'd like to know what his MotM strike rate is out of interest.

Oh, and i thought Carty made a fairly decent argument for Taylor staying at centre in his interview with ABC radio today (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-27/interview-john-cartwright/5414234?section=sport) (draws defenders in attack, is able to do less work in the middle, and conserve petrol for getting us out of our end and play bigger minutes)

DavidBouveng
27-04-14, 08:47 PM
[QUOTE=DavidBouveng;342432]also, i was listening to the radio ABC call of this, and some bloke was saying when teams were named how great a year gordon is having, and then when he did something good in game said he is sure he'll make one of the rep teams named tonight...WTF is he on.

QUOTE you could tell they were genuinely suprised we were a decent team, saying regularly the Titans are 'actually' playing very solid today like the rest werent....hey mate! its OUR job to rag on our team, stay out of it![/QUOTE

Yeah that was Warren Ryan - I was listening to that call as well and I couldn't believe it when he said that. In fact I was with my dog at an off leash park and didn't realise he was in a fight because I was tranced by that bit of commentary and heard nothing going on around me! Did you also hear how feral the crowd was. When I lived down there I thought the Redfern mob were shockers and I used to like going to Leichhardt but today sounded like all the the inmates had a day out from the asylum. Wouldn't it be great if our crowd got stuck in to the refs like that!

i was seriously concerned the tide was going to turn due to the crowd. they were just so loud and aggro. refs did well to judge it as well as they did imo.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah MT, I've been super impressed with Don this season. You can tell he has played some fullback, as he seems to pop up all over the field. I thought he was unlucky not to get awarded that try today, and also would've scored another if James threw that pass as well. But he has had made some really nice breaks this year, safer than zilly under the high ball, and reads well in defense - in fact, i havnt seen him have a BAD game since newcastle in the mud last year.

Zilly will get given a spot in the 17 somewhere though, I just hope it isn't at fullback... I'd like to know what his MotM strike rate is out of interest.

Oh, and i thought Carty made a fairly decent argument for Taylor staying at centre in his interview with ABC radio today (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-27/interview-john-cartwright/5414234?section=sport) (draws defenders in attack, is able to do less work in the middle, and conserve petrol for getting us out of our end and play bigger minutes)

our metres out of our half has been good all year, but better when we do offload from that half, and he released a few people with his offload when they werent expecting it. if we could be that counter attacking (slingshot footy as they call it in AFL) team, we would be very dangerous. i hope he stays for a bit longer, which sucks for Blair, but we get injuries all the time so im sure taka or someone is due soon

K2G
27-04-14, 09:02 PM
Carty Interview with triple M (http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sport/nrl/podcast/) [from about 19mins 53 seconds] he mentions a few interesting things.

* Agrees Carter looked great in the back-row, and is making it hard for the him to bring Carter off, once he's on
* Agrees we're struggling to score points, reckons plenty of teams are struggling to score points, makes no attempt at answering how far off we are from playing our best footy
* Gets asked the most condescending, back-handed question about our 'simple game plan suiting our roster' ... highlights Scott Prince's departure and Albert Kelly's emergence as a key reason for our building, and still work-in-progress 'structure' ...
* sounds cagey as f* when asked by Gordy Tallis whether Zillman will slot straight back in with Mead going so well; Carty basically says we're a better team with them both playing, although with prompting, agrees Zillman can play center, halves and dummy half!! - sounds to me like Coach thinks TP is still our #1 #1

The guy defects questions really well. Very diplomatic. Would do well in corporate relations when we sign a real coach.

DavidBouveng
27-04-14, 09:30 PM
not sure i want to watch it.

id love to see the general opinion on a top 17 now after things crystalizing over the last few weeks a bit more.

Myles is back to seriously good form, Don has avenged the demons of 2013, Mead finally owns the 1, blair is more than a podgy melbourne discard...some interesting discussion im sure.

gcboyz
27-04-14, 11:44 PM
Paul Carter brings a lot to this team with his niggle and aggression. Birdman had it all to himself for the past two seasons. Now with some serious aggro from Miles, Taka, and D.T. we have the making of our own "Bruiser Boys".
Ryan James applied for membership today but fell short of the mark.
Souths will be the test to see where we are really are.

DIEHARD
28-04-14, 03:39 AM
Gold Coast Titans give Wests Tigers a taste of their own medicine

At the same ground and in almost identical conditions, the Gold Coast Titans did to the Wests Tigers what the Tigers did to Manly just three weeks ago.

In stark contrast to the blistering and explosive start the Tigers produced to shock competition heavyweights Manly at Leichhardt Oval in round five, the home side lacked the desire and fight to go with the Titans on Sunday afternoon.

Despite a mini resurgence to start the second half, the Tigers were a shadow of the football team that has rocketed into the top four after an eye-opening two months to start the season, going down 22-6.

However, the win could come at a price for the Titans. Dynamic halfback Albert Kelly injured a leg in the first half and didn't return.

In front of 8929 at the iconic suburban ground, the Titans avenged the humiliating 42-12 loss on home soil at the hands of the Tigers back in round two with a victory that sees them leapfrog the Tigers to equal first with the Bulldogs and Sea Eagles.

With Robbie Farah and James Tedesco on the sidelines nursing injuries, the Tigers could ill-afford to lose another player, however centre Tim Simona could miss several matches for a lifting tackle on Aidan Sezer in the second half.

In a fiery clash that saw tempers flare and jerseys grabbed on several occasions, the Tigers were unable to control the ball and never really entered the contest.

It was Sezer who opened the account for the Titans, making up for an early penalty-goal miss to step his way through some soft defence to score under the posts.

Despite the wet conditions, the Titans weren't afraid to keep the ball alive and were making easy inroads through the Tigers’ defence.

Sezer was again gifted an opportunity to take the two points, this time making no mistake to give his side an 8-0 lead after 13 minutes.

The Titans lost Kelly mid-way in the second half through injury then lost co-captain Nate Myles when he was sin binned for a professional foul, holding back Marty Taupau from being able to link with a runaway Luke Brooks.

The Titans looked to have been caught short from the ensuing set when Tim Simona crashed over out wide, however the video referee intervened to rule that Bodene Thompson had obstructed Sezer.

With Sezer nursing an ankle injury, Greg Bird stepped up and took another two points on offer, before a Paul Carter charge down saw Anthony Don extend the visitors' lead to 16-0.

The second half began the way the first half ended, with a charge down leading to a try.

This time it was Bird who was collected from a Blake Austin kick, with the former Panther chasing through to toe poke it into the in-goal. Simona was finally rewarded with the try that was taken from him in the first half.

A pin-point accurate grubber from Sezer saw Bird win the race to the ball and slam it down to extend the lead back to 16 points in the 54th minute.

A high tackle from Keith Galloway gifted the Titans their fourth penalty-goal attempt goal of the afternoon, however Bird failed in his bid to extend the deficit to 18 points with 14 minutes remaining.

Carter was also placed on report for a swinging arm on David Nofoaluma in the final minutes.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au

DIEHARD
28-04-14, 03:40 AM
Rd 8: Tigers v Titans Highlights

<script height="314px" width="558px" src="http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.js#pbid=fd5fc71d2bcc4b60a622cf8d3348d605&ec=Z4Y2FrbTqSUgNlw8LaZ78HSKjNmlLK8G"></script>

Stalks
28-04-14, 06:18 AM
Looking at the Wests Tigers forum - the excuses about players missing etc - overall seems they didn't think we'd want revenge for Round 2 - then I saw this : "Only thing I am happy about is that could have been 40-6 if we play like that against a REAL team like the roosters it will be.. can't deny the effort though."

I guess actions speak louder than words - if the boys can stick in the top 4-8 and we polish the attack options then most knockers will be silent...

shamus
28-04-14, 09:05 AM
Anyone notice Ennis wheres head gear these days, when did that happen?- - - Updated - - -

Ennis split his melon last week so I think it is a precautionary thing..

Titanic
28-04-14, 10:26 AM
and Gus chirps in, trying to buy votes on the Coast:

Gold Coast Titans spring an ambush in Wests Tigers' lair

When the Gold Coast Titans arrived at Leichhardt Oval yesterday afternoon there would have been plenty of things going through their minds.The team was down on strength with several of their regular players missing. The heavy round two loss - 42-12 to the West Tigers - would have been vivid in their memory. They knew only too well how difficult the Tigers are to beat at this venue; and this point was never better emphasised only a fortnight ago when the Tigers completely ambushed the Manly Sea Eagles and delivered them a heavy defeat.
The conditions were cold, wet and windy. In this arena, under these conditions and with the home crowd so close to action cheering on their team this was obviously going to be a very physical affair.
When the going gets tough, you need to get tough with it. That is exactly what the Titans did in the early exchanges of this match.
The visitors set the standard for toughness and physicality. They also shocked the Tigers with their preparedness to move the ball quickly to the edges of the field and their willingness to unload the ball in tackles despite the greasy conditions.
The Tigers may have been anticipating a safety first approach from the Gold Coast boys, and were certainly taken aback by the swiftness of their ball movement and the footwork of their faster players.
The home side appeared to be on the back foot right from the jump, which was in the stark contrast to the way they blew Manly away in the early stages of that match only a fortnight ago.
Terrific dummy-half surges from hooker Beau Falloon, combined with the sharp darts from playmakers Albert Kelly and Aidan Sezer really troubled the Tigers' big men around the middle of the field.
Out on the edges, the Titans had selected an unusual combination with big Dave Taylor and Brad Takairangi playing as centres. Both these giants are more suited to play in the forwards and in the middle of the action. However, they created havoc out wide with their size and unloading ability.
Taylor was particularly impressive. He topped the run count for his team on the day, and every charge was felt by the opposing defenders. He combined his natural power game with some wonderfully skilful touches. His test was always going to be in defence where he was marking up on the smaller and much faster Tim Simona, but he never missed a beat. Taylor's defence was nothing short of outstanding.
Adding to their injury worries leading into the match, the Titans were dealt a cruel blow midway through the first half when playmaker Albert Kelly left the field with a suspected fractured leg. Up to this point Kelly had been brilliant and causing the West Tigers defenders no end of trouble.
The score was 8-0 in favour of the Titans at the time of his departure, and it seemed they might find it difficult to win without his direction.
In fact, statistics tell us that on the last 11 occasions an NRL team has lost their halfback before half-time, only two of these teams went on to victory. This was just another hurdle for the Gold Coast side to leap.
Into the game to replace Kelly came young dynamo interchange player Paul Carter. This kid has something special about him.
As I watched the game unfold, I couldn't really decide what position he was playing. He spent some time at dummy-half. He hit the ball up like a front-rower. He ran on the edges like a back-rower. He directed the play like a playmaker. He charges the ball forward with great intent, and resents any tackle. He has the ability to pass the ball before the line and position teammates inside or out. Carter also has an uncanny ability to unload in tackles even though he may be held by as many as three or four defenders. This lad is fast gaining a reputation as one of the best impact players coming off the interchange bench in this competition.
I could continue to praise each individual in the Titan’s side for their contribution to this success. They had many great players on the day. Suffice to say though this was a wonderful effort. Holding the flamboyant West Tigers to only one try in 80 minutes of football at Leichhardt Oval is no mean feat. The Titans defence was fast moving, physical and resilient. They met the Tigers on the advantage line all day, restricting their go-forward. They hustled and bustled the talented West Tigers playmakers all afternoon. On the few occasions their front line of defence was breached they scrambled well with great cover defence from their speedy outside men.
In fairness to the West Tigers, they too had several key players missing from their line-p, however, it just wasn't their day. They were certainly stunned by the ferocity of the Titans' opening gambit and never really recovered.
They were probably guilty of playing sideways far too often in their attacking formations, and were comfortably contained by the Gold Coast defence.
There is so much like about the potential of this Tigers team with so many fine young players now aboard. The loss on Sunday is just a part of the NRL learning cycle. They would have been brimming with confidence coming into the match. There is a big difference between confidence and complacency though. You soon learn that in the NRL, there is no game that can't be won, and there is certainly no game that can't be lost. If you are not mentally prepared and at your best every week, then chances are your opposition will be. I still like this Tigers side and feel that the lesson learntyesterday could prove valuable getting down towards the back end of the season.
On the day though, all honours went to the Gold Coast Titans. They were aggressive on the ball all afternoon, and every 50-50 possession seemed to go their way, simply because they forced the issue.
After eight rounds of the competition they are still equal leaders of the competition, and showing no signs of wilting.
It's a great position to be in as we enter the representative season.
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/gold-coast-titans-spring-an-ambush-in-wests-tigers-lair-20140427-zr0gl.html#ixzz308UjnotO

Mexican titan
28-04-14, 01:11 PM
Gus talks so much crap on the channel 9 broadcasts but his newspaper columns are usually a good read and constructively written. Like the one above.

DIEHARD
28-04-14, 05:07 PM
Gus talks so much crap on the channel 9 broadcasts but his newspaper columns are usually a good read and constructively written. Like the one above.

Which is strange. Maybe he has a ghost writer, haha.

DIEHARD
28-04-14, 05:08 PM
Gold Coast Titans hit by injuries and suspensions after defeating Wests Tigers

Gold Coast Titans continue their great start to the season with a 16 point win over the Tigers

Just when the Titans look to be sailing through calm waters, sitting pretty at the top of the NRL table with a 6-2 record after a tough 22-6 victory over the Wests Tigers, trouble is on the horizon.

Halfback Albert Kelly will today be sent for X-rays over fears of a broken ankle while five-eighth Aidan Sezer has a sprained ankle that has put his NSW City Origin debut in jeopardy.

Titans coach John Cartwright said Sezer was doubtful to play this week in Dubbo, but would likely be ready for the Gold Coast after next week’s bye for the club’s home clash with South Sydney.

But the real danger is that Kelly could be a long-term casualty.

Just as was the case last year when the Titans were pushing for the top four, a broken ankle to their most dangerous player Jamal Idris resulted in their season sinking quicker than the Titanic.

A confirmed fracture or a syndesmosis injury to Kelly, the club’s leading tryscorer and most creative player, would be the worst possible scenario for a club that is winning on the back of gritty defence and then moments of brilliance.

“Albert we have to get an X-ray. He is putting some weight on it so that is a good sign, but it could be some sort of crack or break,” Cartwright told Triple M radio.

“But I’m not going to jump to any conclusions. We will get the X-ray and go from there.”

It was a brave win by the Titans, considering Kelly left the field in the first half and after going down 42-12 to the Tigers at their own home ground in round two the Gold Coast managed a 46-point swing in six weeks to get revenge at Leichhardt Oval.

The forwards rolled their sleeves up and did the hard yards in the middle, once again superbly led by their co-captains Greg Bird and Nate Myles who were both rewarded with Test match selection immediately after the win.

“(Bird) is probably the form player of the competition for me,” Cartwright said.

“Games like that are just made for him. He loves it.

Gold Coast Titans are counting the cost of a punishing win over Wests Tigers.
Greg Bird and Ryan James celebrate a big win for the Titans. Pic: Brett Costello Source: News Corp Australia
“The more the crowd and the ref get involved, I like it because that’s when he plays his best footy.”

Myles was sin-binned in the first half for a professional foul and still finished with a game high 48 tackles.

Showing the intensity of the Gold Coast’s entire defence the team had just 14 missed tackles for the entire match.

Rookie bench utility Paul Carter was another standout after he executed a superb charge down to set up Gold Coast’s second half try to Anthony Don.

“He is just a competitor. He makes a difference too. He wants to win,” Cartwright said.

Gold Coast head coach John Cartwright praises his side's courage in their 16 point win over the Tigers
“When guys play in the middle of the park they can take some time to get used to NRL speed, but he adapted. You don’t even look to bring him off at the moment.

“He has certainly been a find for us.”

Cartwright knows his team is still yet to hit top gear, but the beauty of them in 2014 is that they find a way to win and they’re better prepared to handle any injury setbacks that head their way.

“The thing the players are really excited about is they know they can improve a lot,” he said.

“There’s a lot of guys there who can score points from all over the park and that has probably kept us where we are at the moment, the odd bit of brilliance.

“We will keep working at our football and I’m sure it will click any time soon.”

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/nrl/

DIEHARD
28-04-14, 05:08 PM
Gold Coast Titans hit by injuries and suspensions after defeating Wests Tigers

Gold Coast Titans continue their great start to the season with a 16 point win over the Tigers

Just when the Titans look to be sailing through calm waters, sitting pretty at the top of the NRL table with a 6-2 record after a tough 22-6 victory over the Wests Tigers, trouble is on the horizon.

Halfback Albert Kelly will today be sent for X-rays over fears of a broken ankle while five-eighth Aidan Sezer has a sprained ankle that has put his NSW City Origin debut in jeopardy.

Titans coach John Cartwright said Sezer was doubtful to play this week in Dubbo, but would likely be ready for the Gold Coast after next week’s bye for the club’s home clash with South Sydney.

But the real danger is that Kelly could be a long-term casualty.

Just as was the case last year when the Titans were pushing for the top four, a broken ankle to their most dangerous player Jamal Idris resulted in their season sinking quicker than the Titanic.

A confirmed fracture or a syndesmosis injury to Kelly, the club’s leading tryscorer and most creative player, would be the worst possible scenario for a club that is winning on the back of gritty defence and then moments of brilliance.

“Albert we have to get an X-ray. He is putting some weight on it so that is a good sign, but it could be some sort of crack or break,” Cartwright told Triple M radio.

“But I’m not going to jump to any conclusions. We will get the X-ray and go from there.”

It was a brave win by the Titans, considering Kelly left the field in the first half and after going down 42-12 to the Tigers at their own home ground in round two the Gold Coast managed a 46-point swing in six weeks to get revenge at Leichhardt Oval.

The forwards rolled their sleeves up and did the hard yards in the middle, once again superbly led by their co-captains Greg Bird and Nate Myles who were both rewarded with Test match selection immediately after the win.

“(Bird) is probably the form player of the competition for me,” Cartwright said.

“Games like that are just made for him. He loves it.

Gold Coast Titans are counting the cost of a punishing win over Wests Tigers.
Greg Bird and Ryan James celebrate a big win for the Titans. Pic: Brett Costello Source: News Corp Australia
“The more the crowd and the ref get involved, I like it because that’s when he plays his best footy.”

Myles was sin-binned in the first half for a professional foul and still finished with a game high 48 tackles.

Showing the intensity of the Gold Coast’s entire defence the team had just 14 missed tackles for the entire match.

Rookie bench utility Paul Carter was another standout after he executed a superb charge down to set up Gold Coast’s second half try to Anthony Don.

“He is just a competitor. He makes a difference too. He wants to win,” Cartwright said.

Gold Coast head coach John Cartwright praises his side's courage in their 16 point win over the Tigers
“When guys play in the middle of the park they can take some time to get used to NRL speed, but he adapted. You don’t even look to bring him off at the moment.

“He has certainly been a find for us.”

Cartwright knows his team is still yet to hit top gear, but the beauty of them in 2014 is that they find a way to win and they’re better prepared to handle any injury setbacks that head their way.

“The thing the players are really excited about is they know they can improve a lot,” he said.

“There’s a lot of guys there who can score points from all over the park and that has probably kept us where we are at the moment, the odd bit of brilliance.

“We will keep working at our football and I’m sure it will click any time soon.”

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/nrl/

DIEHARD
28-04-14, 06:13 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1.0-9/10322815_1467683656802396_7505221356621085422_n.jp g

https://www.facebook.com/AretemArt

DIEHARD
28-04-14, 06:15 PM
https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/1981773_1466556913581737_2994652184707420059_n.jpg

Another nice one.

gothabull
28-04-14, 11:05 PM
Ha ha that's awsome diehard love the souths one with freddy

C-Whiz
29-04-14, 09:56 AM
Paul Carter brings a lot to this team with his niggle and aggression. Birdman had it all to himself for the past two seasons. Now with some serious aggro from Miles, Taka, and D.T. we have the making of our own "Bruiser Boys".
Ryan James applied for membership today but fell short of the mark.
Souths will be the test to see where we are really are.Good post, but that line is a classic. :thumbsup:

And totally agree with the Souths comment.

We've beaten Storm, with a bit of controversary, so let's back it up with a win over Souths and I think the boys are really proving themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

I enjoyed this game, always good to get out to a lead and hold it there, but it was the speed we were hitting the ball with, the depth of our attacking line and the strength across the park that showed.

Really impressed with where we are now, and the clear options we have in attack. We were not great, but we were very solid, and it's because we show so much promise and are still improving that really fills me with confidence. Just a case of bringing it each week.

The Panthers game was a throwback to a stunted attack of times gone by, so once the team (Cartwirght?) lets go of the old, un-winning ways, and embraces the positive plays that are scoring us points, then we can start to pile the points on and learn how to win pretty!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, it is this new exciting passing attitude that is now sinking in, players are actually expecting an offload, they are backing each other up, there is almost always someone there for it now, and it's the sort of footy that opposition teams can't really train to defend against.

Iit's the sort of footy that fans will turn up to watch, and I think that is one of the best things about the way we are playing. I WANT to watch the Titans play this style of footy. :thumbsup: