PDA

View Full Version : Broncos: Should Bennett Step down?

DeeGan
28-09-05, 01:09 PM
Broncos: Should Bennett Step down?

Mark Geyer is calling for Wayne Bennett to step down from the Brisbane Broncos coaching position, what do you think?

After 18 seasons, 5 premierships, is it time for Wayne Bennett to step aside for his successor after seeing his proud club falter at this business end of the season for the 5th time since winning the 2000 Grand Final?

Vote now and post your reasoning.

Cheers

DeeGan

Dakink
28-09-05, 01:15 PM
I believe he should unless he can grow and develop his style - the bash and barge doesnt really work anymore.

Moejoe
28-09-05, 01:42 PM
Time for a change of direction for the broncs. As we have seen over the previous years the broncoes Stamina dies in the last quater of the season.

IMO bring in a new Coaching staff and get some new methods in there. They cant do any worse than they have been (would be nice though :) )

Dakink
28-09-05, 01:44 PM
Ahh imgaine a Broncos wooden spoon - there is a God!

Sorry no offence intended [broncosgirl]..

Super Cronk
28-09-05, 02:59 PM
Why does he need to step down? He got the Broncos to the finals....the broncos were first for most of this years comp. Thats pretty damn good.

With that being said tho..i think he needs to bring in some more younger guys maybe to freshen the club up , the last 2 years they have failed miserbly towards the end of the year. Maybe some new tactics and players but i dont see the need to step down if he can still do the job.

Dakink
28-09-05, 03:13 PM
Why does he need to step down? He got the Broncos to the finals....the broncos were first for most of this years comp. Thats pretty damn good.

With that being said tho..i think he needs to bring in some more younger guys maybe to freshen the club up , the last 2 years they have failed miserbly towards the end of the year. Maybe some new tactics and players but i dont see the need to step down if he can still do the job.

True.

Look at the 2 coaches this weekend. Sheens and Murray. Both have been around forever, I think he does need some outside opnions.

Super Cronk
28-09-05, 03:21 PM
True.

Look at the 2 coaches this weekend. Sheens and Murray. Both have been around forever, I think he does need some outside opnions.

yep, the tigers have royce simmons and he does great stuff for them ever since he went there.

Also i think bennet is a little to loyal to some players. If a player isnt doing the job or needs to improve then bennet has to put his foot down and drop the player or say your position is up for grabs...pull your socks up.

Shadow XL
28-09-05, 04:18 PM
you can't go around blaming the coach for the players. Wayne is one of the best rugby league minds in the game, But his side was tired and the big players didnt step up. during the off season i think he need to sit back and look at the other teams he might need to change his style a little bit, maybe a huge move such as moving lockyer to fullback, but he needs to think he game through, When he hits the hot spot, he is great.

Dakink
28-09-05, 04:22 PM
So have the Broncos been tired for 5 years?

And they cant blame Origin anymore because other teams have just as much representation as they do and didnt struggle.

[BroncosGirl]
28-09-05, 04:41 PM
... Head says Yes, Heart says No. Also you know what, I'd still support the Broncos if we ever got the Wooden Spoon, but I reckon if we did, or missed the 8, it might be even more of a wake up call. I know Bennett has come out not (finally) and said we need to change and reinvent our selves...but still.

... Look if Bennett changes a few things then No, I posted this one the Kennel, so Im just going to copy and paste, because I coudlnt' be bothered retyping it :p

Bennett needs to change things drasticially. I think Webke and Civo have about another year in them, but why the hell have both of them on at the same time... I mean they're both not ball players, they do the same thing ... Eh oh well.

I k now some changes are being made for the pre season trials - ages away I know. Lockyer at fullback, Hunt in centres, Seymour at 5/8, and don't know about halfback though.

Bennett needs to blood more young players, we have a lot of good players. Kenny, Michaels, Eastwood, Clarke etc etc. Thaiday needs mroe game time, Costigan needs more disipline. WB also can't be afraid to drop players when the aren't performing *coughs* Berrigan, Carlaw * .... He needs to not let "mateship" get in the way.

I don't think sacking Bennett is the best thing, but someone needs to give him a wake up call, and Im glad hes seeing we need a change in direction, he needs to fix up some parts.

Bennett has to get past waht has worked in the past ... coz guess what - it aint working anymore. Bennett has often had the opinion of once we're guarenteed the 8, thats ok, which explains how well we do in the middle of the season, and how crap we do back end. Bronocs are prepared to reach their peak too early in the season.

He needs to:

1. Bugger off some of the older forwards nad bring in guys like Thaiday Kenny, Clarke. I so can't wiat to get Stagg back next year too, we missed him.
2. Not let his mateship with players stand in the way, I know he has faith in the players to step up and peform ecah week, but if they dont' do it for 4 weeks in a row....(or a whole season i.e carlaw) they need to be dropped and earn their way back
3. Younger guys need to be given the go, if payers are dropped, no more bringing in
retired players, or second rate players who dont' perform that well (minto - who i used to bve a fan of until I saw Michaels) ...
4. Better Training, we get way too tired in games, earlier than other teams, although I bring this mainly down to the age of some of our forwards. But still. Better training also brings in better attitudes, I hope what they look like is n't how they feel. Half of them back end of the season look like they don't want to be there .
5. If the team isn't working FIX IT ... when we were on our run, of course the team wasn't going to change, it was working. But WB stuck with teh same team in all 7 losses, he could have dropped Bott, brought in Michaels.... we needed to try new things.. Thats why I really hope he does in the pre season trials try Locky back at fullback, we need to experient with our player positions to see which arrangement brings out the best in our attack.

Brycey
28-09-05, 05:30 PM
Bennett is the master of re-inventing teams. I see it more of a case of him being arrogant in his ways as of late, severe changes need to be made within the team. Benny is the one man can do it and make it work, however if he refuses to do anything about it; then call for his head.

Teegy
28-09-05, 05:31 PM
Bennett doesn't need to set down. he needs to accept more help from others. he chooses his team how he likes it and thats not the way to go

Steelers
28-09-05, 05:38 PM
Give him one more year to bring the Broncos back

[BroncosGirl]
28-09-05, 05:44 PM
Give him one more year to bring the Broncos back

I dont think its as simple as that. If he is going to re-invent the Broncos, he may have to do some experimentation with the team, which means he won't always get it right, re-invention isn't going to mean immediate success.

Its as long as he's willing to make changes. But hey if it does bring immediate success then so be it... but I think next year wont be perfect.

Teegy
28-09-05, 05:45 PM
First change should be Locky to Fullback

[BroncosGirl]
28-09-05, 05:47 PM
First change should be Locky to Fullback

Id like to see how that goes, him being back ... probably where he should of stayed. Although, if he had a better halfback to play with to take more pressure of him, at 5/8 he could be fantastic. Seymour is still learning though.

Teegy
28-09-05, 05:49 PM
At Fullback he was compared to Langlands. why would you move the worlds best fullback

Brycey
28-09-05, 05:55 PM
First change should be Locky to FullbackI agree, Lockyer has not performed at 5/8 in comparison to his services as a Fullback.

Also watching the Broncos, they seem to think their fullback is their 1st or 2nd reciever most of the time this year. At least they would get the ball into some decent hands.

Coaster
28-09-05, 06:08 PM
Lockyer doesnt perform as well at 5/8 becuase he is flat footed when he gets the ball.

He needs to be running into holes, from another playmaker, and atm Seymour is not that person.

Watch Lockyer with Johns this year, and you will see Lockyer can make it as a 5/8.

Bennet will learn alot also from this series with Johns/Lockyer combo, and i expect a massive learning curve for young Seymour starting the minute they return.

Teegy
28-09-05, 06:09 PM
I have no doubt he can make it as a 5/8 just think he could be the best fullback ever

ridgey
28-09-05, 06:15 PM
i'd like to see bennett stand down but who ya gonna replace him with?
he ain't goin anywhere.

give the broncos a hooker that can create things around the ruck,a half who can take pressure off lockyer and has a good kicking game,give more game time to young forwards like sammy thaiday,put hunt in the centres,blood some more outside backs like steve michaels,gideon mzembe,he just has to start putting a bit of faith in his younger players.i mean i'm all for this give em time to develop strategy but bringing back 36 year olds every season aint helping the future of the club.look at who is departing the club,tom learoyd,berrick barnes,darren mapp.

DeeGan
29-09-05, 02:02 AM
No. You do not replace perhaps the greatest rugby league coach of all-time on the advice of:

1. Mark Geyer who for some unknown reason is now a celebrated rugby league expert in some circles (Why? A whole new thread) or

2. The paid rugby league media who in the majority of cases are not Bennett fans and vice versa.

The Brisbane Broncos DO need to go back to the drawing board and there is no better coach in the NRL to that with despite what a win-loss record in the finals series tells you since their last premiership win.

From what I saw in 2005, the Broncos were hellbent on trying to repeat 1998 and 2000 with the simple forward play in the first 10-20 mins relying on the brilliance Darren Lockyer for that something special for the rest of the game. The main difference, gone were the likes of Allan Langer, Kevin Walters, Ben Ikin, Gorden Tallis etc. who were also able to turn a game. In short, Brisbane had options in those last two premiership winning efforts, fast forward to 2005, their attack relies on Darren Lockyer who is not a traditional ball player who can be guilty of making the wrong read in attack.

Wayne Bennett had this team atop of the competition for the majority of the year, the Broncos were the premiership favourites and were once again about to continue their stunning run of 14 straight semi-final appearances. What went wrong?

It has all been said when it comes to the players. There were injuries, mental and physical fatigue etc.

Does it come back to their training? Is it their rehabilitation? Those close to Bennett can comment further.

Yes, Bennett needs to reinvent the Brisbane Broncos again, funnily enough, the experts were telling us he had done this when they held an 8 point buffer over the rest of the 14 teams in the competition.

The Broncos I feel need to clean out some dead wood, look at perhaps another option at half and give Lockyer some support. The try he scored vs the Tigers in their semi final loss was classic Darren Lockyer running the perfect angle, the same type of angle he ran weekly as the best fullback we had seen since Changa' Langlands.

The Brisbane Broncos will keep Bennett, the Brisbane Broncos will compete again in 2006.

Steve Dangerous
29-09-05, 02:26 AM
Despite fading in recent years, they have been easily the most consistant team in the competition. A year without them making the semis would be extremely bizzare, whereas other teams come and go.

I think they might be the victim of their own loyalty though... their players usually stay on board for many many seasons, therefore they rarely sign new players and perhaps are becoming a bit static and too comfortable.

ridgey
29-09-05, 12:13 PM
well it seems very likely Jane Carlaw and Corey Parker will be told they can negotiate with other clubs,and the Broncos have just signed young Roosters enforcer Ben Hannant much to the disgust of big artie.

DeeGan
29-09-05, 01:04 PM
well it seems very likely Jane Carlaw and Corey Parker will be told they can negotiate with other clubs,and the Broncos have just signed young Roosters enforcer Ben Hannant much to the disgust of big artie.

I read that in the RLW as well though the Mole is not someone that instills me with any confidence when reading his some of the info from his "sources".

Dane Carlaw is playing out of his league (how did Hagan allow for him to be picked in Origin in 2005???) though Corey Parker has fans at Brisbane.

If the signing is confirmed, not bad at all. Hannant was impressive in the limited action he received in grade for the Roosters. He will only get better.

ridgey
29-09-05, 01:11 PM
corey parker was 2 years below me when i played at logan brothers,i never rated him as a junior and i still don't.

but hey somebody rate's him.

Steve Dangerous
29-09-05, 02:00 PM
Corey would be a big loss. He's a great player imo.

And i've always liked Carlaw, in his prime form he was great.. just needs to rediscover the touch again. If he moves to another club and gets regular gametime he'll most likely go back to the Dane of old, much like Harrison, Prince and others have taken off after leaving the broncos.

Dakink
29-09-05, 02:05 PM
I though Carlaw went alright when he came on the paddock in brissie's last game. I agree - he needs a change of scenery. I think PArker could also be in that category, Im with SD, I think he is a good player.

[BroncosGirl]
29-09-05, 04:52 PM
Corey Parker resigned this year ... well Im pretty sure he did, because he wants to be a Bronco for life.

As for Carlaw I don't care if he goes.

Steelers
29-09-05, 05:13 PM
I can't believe Carlaw got picked for State of Origin! that was a true case of incumbancy gone wrong! PICK ON FORM YOU DAM REP SELECTORS!

Coaster
29-09-05, 05:40 PM
Dane Carlaw is playing out of his league (how did Hagan allow for him to be picked in Origin in 2005???)

http://presidentpdr.bigpondhosting.com/photos/johns_hagen.jpg

[BroncosGirl]
29-09-05, 05:58 PM
Lmao :p

Origin was the perfect chance for Carlaw to turn things around .... but he blew it, he did nothing.

I hate the fact he got picked when there was guys like Stagg there, perhaps still learning and inexperience, but had a lot better form.

ridgey
29-09-05, 07:31 PM
']Corey Parker resigned this year ... well Im pretty sure he did, because he wants to be a Bronco for life.

As for Carlaw I don't care if he goes.

yeah and we all know what a new contract means in this day and age,

NOT MUCH AT ALL!

Steelers
29-09-05, 07:52 PM

NOT MUCH AT ALL!

true!

if clubs don't want ya, your gone. if you wanna leave, you can (jamie lyon leaving the eels).

[BroncosGirl]
29-09-05, 08:00 PM

NOT MUCH AT ALL!

Didn't "The Mole" out of RLW announce this :rolleyes:

The Broncos want Corey for life, he will bring experience to the pack in the next couple of years, when the forward pack is slowly re-invented, and the likes of Webcke and Civo, Thorn dissapear... Corey if he fixes a few things is a great player, I doubt the Broncos would wnat to get rid of him, unless there is somethign esle going on, which I doubt it. Corey will fight to stay anyways, but I doubt there is anything to fight for.

Broncos wanted Corey as a life Broncos only a couple of months ago, nothing has happened to change that.

ridgey
29-09-05, 08:08 PM
hey if the broncos want to keep him that's their bad luck,i mean just keep letting blokes like carl webb,tom learoyd,darren mapp,go to other clubs so it can bite em in the backside like it usually does and stick with the same useless six pack!

[BroncosGirl]
29-09-05, 08:12 PM
... I just said they want to keep Corey for experience of the NEW Forwards who will slowly come into the team, webcke civo thorn only have a couple years left... well it should be anyways... It is a big loss we lost Learoyd - Lahrs... nad Mapp (not so much) ... but we have well Parker, Costigan, Thaiday, Stagg, Kenny, Clarke etc etc ... all these guys plenty capable of doing hte job for us.

ridgey
29-09-05, 08:13 PM
yeah i'm just stirring bronc girl!

[BroncosGirl]
29-09-05, 08:28 PM
WEll can you not :( .. Im very defensive of my Broncos :p

Dakink
29-09-05, 08:30 PM
Thats what I like to see - passion for your team!!!

Shadow XL
30-09-05, 04:18 PM
Obne thing i have noticed is that brocos miss lote and wendall, they were devistation on the wings, thats on thing we need strong, fast wings, i know that the modern game is light fast runners, but give lote the ball and he could fly, we needed a bit of a more powerful back, more kicking options are needed, really the only person who is a real option is darren, i mean look at shane kick.... I would love maybe in the pre-season games lockyer in fullback in atlest one game, See if it works when there are no punishments for losing, Then he can decide if it would be a viable option or not.