PDA

View Full Version : Titans in hunt for Jake

Super Cronk
24-02-06, 10:14 AM
Heraldsun.com.au

MELBOURNE Storm will step up efforts to re-sign winger Jake Webster after the Gold Coast Titans revealed their interest in the Kiwi international last night.

Storm management has offered Webster a new two-year deal and is hopeful the Moonee Ponds-born youngster will stay in Melbourne.

Webster was Storm's most improved player in 2005. He started the year as a fringe first-grader but finished with 24 top-flight games, 10 tries and a Kiwi Test jumper.

"We have made Jake one of our priorities," Storm recruitment manager Peter O'Sullivan said yesterday. "We have been through thick and thin with him and he is now reaching the peak of his career.

"We have an offer on the table, a meeting with his manager early next week and we are hopeful of finalising something soon."

Webster has indicated his preference is to remain with Storm, but the lure of playing in his preferred centre position could tempt him to the Gold Coast.

"At the moment Jake is saying all the right things," O'Sullivan said.

"We have fostered him for five years and I know he is appreciative of that."

The Gold Coast will enter the competition next year and it has already announced a series of signings, including Storm hooker Nathan Friend.

The Titans are also leading the charge to sign in-demand Wests Tigers halfback Scott Prince.

Titans chief executive Michael Searle confirmed Webster was on his recruitment team's radar.

"We are in a position where every player coming off contract will be invariably linked with us," Searle said. "But we are aware of Jake's abilities, and if he is still off contract come July 1, then we would be interested in talking to him.

"He is an international-class winger and from what we hear a very capable centre."

With almost a dozen players off contract, O'Sullivan said Storm was concerned the arrival of the Gold Coast could lead to the player market becoming inflated.

"Like everyone we are little bit worried about what impact they will have," O'Sullivan said.

"We are moving forward a little quicker than we normally would to lock players away."

Storm is yet to open talks with the luckless Steve Turner, who is trying to resurrect his career after a series of injuries.

Searle said Turner might be an option for the Gold Coast, but the Titans' priority is Great Britain fullback Richie Mathers.

"I haven't seen a lot of Steve but by all reports he is a very handy player," Searle said.

"Fullback is a position we are currently looking at. But we are negotiating with Richie Mathers at the moment and we are a fair way down the track there."

DIEHARD
24-02-06, 01:31 PM
I hope he stays at the Storm, he is a Victorian and that is where I would like to see him stay.

Awesome player though!

Eel 33
24-02-06, 10:09 PM
A Victorian playing in the Victorian team, more of this will happen in the future i imagine.

The Original Idiot
25-02-06, 02:27 PM
Plays for the Kiwis, he's a kiwi.

Moejoe
25-02-06, 03:10 PM
I would only hope that the Storm hope to achieve what the Titans are aiming to do. And that is to have local talent playing for thier team..

He is a great player and would make a great asset to the titans, but clubs now days have to put more emphasis on thier local junior development.

lonegull
25-02-06, 07:16 PM
I think the titans will gew mathers from england, webster wont leave Melbourne

Super Cronk
25-02-06, 09:23 PM
Plays for the Kiwis, he's a kiwi.

It might just be me but Moonee Ponds is in Victoria...he was born in moonee ponds, therefore he was Australian born.

The Original Idiot
26-02-06, 03:18 PM
^ Doesn't matter where he's born, he's a kiwi. nuff said.
Webster would be an interesting option at centre though. He is a great talent. But why didn't Melbourne play him at centre and Matt King on the wing?

DeeGan
26-02-06, 04:35 PM
Webster would be an interesting option at centre though. He is a great talent. But why didn't Melbourne play him at centre and Matt King on the wing?

IMO, Webster will be a career winger and a potentialy great one at that.

Matt King is a better centre than winger, early in 2005 King was the best centre running around in the competition and there is no way he would unsurp King or Inglis for a centre position. King is a Top 5 centre in the NRL right now.

As for Jake as a signing? Interesting and definately a guy you look at if available though we have given Great Britain winger Brian Carney a nice contract already with veteran Matt Petersen serving as the other winger - more good money on a international winger? Not necessary IMO when we we could invest that type of money in other key positions.

We will be used as leverage at the bargaining table by many player agents this season, we should get used to be floated as a possible option for ALL players on the open market this year.

brn2bwyld
27-02-06, 09:15 PM
Webster would be a good signing. With a creative centre inside him he could be one of the competitions great finishers

Super Cronk
27-02-06, 11:48 PM
^ Doesn't matter where he's born, he's a kiwi. nuff said.

LOL...doesnt matter where he is born.

He was born in Australia...he is Australian...but because one of his parents is from NZ he got a choice, a bit like greg inglis choosing between QLD or NSW...or that other player that chose state over country but for some reason cant think of his name...he got to choose if he wanted to play for australia or NZ and chose NZ.

Dakink
28-02-06, 07:42 AM
I always thought that representation depended on where they first played senior football - at least SOO does. They should be able to adopt new countries to play for providing they meet the residency qualifications of that country.

RIP
28-02-06, 10:44 AM
But that's what makes International Footy a bit more interesting with the likes Fijians Playing 4 NZ & OZ, Remember the Kiwi paul brother Played in GB Super League, NZ & but 1 went 2 Union & might play 4 England in da Union. Just that is funny ( But I Perfer him playing 4 da Mighty Kiwi's ) & I would also Perfer Lote tuqiri & Joe Rokocoko playing 4 Fiji than them playing 4 da other teams