PDA

View Full Version : Round 3: RAIDERS vs TITANS

Pages : [1] 2

DIEHARD
15-03-14, 11:54 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/LOGOS/raiders_zpsb14ce39f.jpg VS http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/LOGOS/titans_zps61cfe06f.jpg

Sunday 23 March 2014 6:30pm - Canberra Stadium

Tickets: CLICK HERE (http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/Show.aspx?sh=RAI314)

DIEHARD
15-03-14, 11:55 PM
Canberra Raiders prop David Shillington on road to recovery for Gold Coast clash

CANBERRA prop David Shillington will return from injury ahead of the club’s first home game against the Gold Coast Titans next Sunday.

Shillington has been sidelined with a rib cartilage injury he suffered in the Raiders’ final trial match against the Knights.

The injury caused Shillington to miss last week’s round-one loss against the Cowboys and he’ll again be missed in today’s clash with the Knights.

“It wasn’t the start to the season I was hoping for after one of my best pre-seasons ever but I’m ready to return now and can’t wait,” Shillington said.

“Sticky (coach Ricky Stuart) has made it clear that reputations stand for nothing and that everyone will be judged on performance.

“That’s how it should be so when I get my chance I have to make the most of it and make sure I’m performing to my best on a weekly basis.”

Shillington said that although the Raiders didn’t get the two competition points against the Cowboys there were positives to take away from the match.

“I thought the boys were really good in the opening 25 minutes, especially in defence,” Shillington said.

“The key for us is focusing for the full 80 minutes. If we do that then we’re capable of matching any team in the competition.”

Stuart has named an unchanged squad for the clash with the Knights, while Newcastle will be missing their fullback Darius Boyd due to a hamstring injury.

Both sides will be desperate to record their first victory of the season after opening round defeats.

Knights winger Akuila Uate now requires just seven tries to become the club’s all time leading tryscorer.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/

DIEHARD
15-03-14, 11:57 PM
Tickets for those going. I've been to quite a few Titans away trips to Canberra. Wish I could make it. CLICK HERE (http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/Show.aspx?sh=RAI314)

TITAN PETE
16-03-14, 06:45 PM
The only plus side I can see right now about this match is Ryan James played excellent in his return match today for Tweed which is where Myles & Harrison should be playing next week

DIEHARD
16-03-14, 07:22 PM
I just tune in and the game is over. Raiders win 26-20 over Knights. Im surprised!

Anyone watch the game? Give us the good word?

teke
16-03-14, 07:23 PM
2nd nail in the Coffin coming up this weekend.

DavidBouveng
16-03-14, 07:26 PM
I just tune in and the game is over. Raiders win 26-20 over Knights. Im surprised!

Milford is a star is the good word. He was freaky tonight

Mexican titan
16-03-14, 07:38 PM

Canberra played well and came from behind a couple of times. They have a good overall side and as DB said Milford was a class above.
All I know is that of three of the teams I had as wooden spoon chances, those being Dragons, Raiders, and Tigers, they all showed a lot more potential than a rabble that I watched today.

DIEHARD
16-03-14, 08:28 PM
Canberra Raiders pip Newcastle Knights 26-20 in NRL round two but lose Josh Papalii

WE saw why Ricky Stuart fought tooth and nail to keep Anthony Milford in the nation’s capital on Sunday.

The flashy feet and blinding acceleration of the little Canberra Raiders fullback was the difference against the Knights at Hunter Stadium.

With the scores all locked up at 10-all at halftime, Milford engineered two long-distance Canberra tries to get his side home 26-20.

He ripped the Knights defence open in the 52nd minute to set up centre Jarrod Croker for his second try before again finding space to start a 50 metre movement that ended with forward Paul Vaughan crossing.

Newcastle was hit hard in the penalties but had their chances to win the game.

They looked like they may have stolen the win when halfback Tyrone Roberts brilliantly crossed in the corner with 15 minutes remaining for a 20-16 lead.

But the momentum was all with the Raiders in the final 12 minutes with winger Edrick Lee wrapping it up with a try right on fulltime.

The win came at a cost with backrower Josh Papalii limping off with a right ankle injury early in the second half.

The Raiders had the early momentum and posted first points following a pin-point kick from Jack Wighton after just seven minutes.

The Raiders five-eighth found the in-goal with a grubber and a flying Jarrod Croker won the race to touch down.

Due to a leg cork he took into the game, Croker handed the goal-kicking duties to Anthony Milford and the Raiders fullback landed the conversion for a 6-0 lead.

Knights debutant Matt Minto, recruited as a back-up halfback or five-eighth by the club, started the game at fullback for the injured Darius Boyd and it was his play-making skills that contributed to the home-side’s opening points.

The former Mackay Cutters player produced a superb cut-out pass for winger Akuila Uate, who burst 30 metres to score, easily bumping Milford’s last ditch effort to prevent the try.

Midway through the half, it appeared as though the Raiders had extended their 6-4 advantage when Croker leapt high to bring down a Wighton bomb in the Knights in-goal.

But after checking upstairs, the try was disallowed with Croker losing control as he was grounding the ball.

It was a pivotal moment because a minute later, the Knights were over at the other end of the field.

This time, the try was legitimate with backrower Beau Scott running a great line off Michael Dobson and charging almost 40 metres to cross.

The Knights led 10-6 with Kurt Gidley’s conversion but their advantage was short-lived.

Three minutes later, replacement hooker Josh McCrone put the Raiders on level terms when he scooted out of dummy-half, beating Gidley to score a soft try out wide.

Milford’s conversion sailed wide and it was 10-all.

Raiders backrower Joel Edwards was placed on report for a lifting tackle on Chris Houston three minutes from halftime with the sides going to the break with the scores all locked up.

But the second half was all Milford’s, with the star fullback notching two try assists and three linebreaks in a sublime display.

CANBERRA 26 (J Croker 2 E Lee J McCrone P Vaughan tries A Milford 2 R Robinson goals) bt NEWCASTLE 20 (J McManus T Roberts B Scott A Uate tries K Gidley 2 goals) at Hunter Stadium. Referee: Adam Devcich, Henry Perenara. Crowd: 14,674.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

DIEHARD
16-03-14, 08:41 PM
<script height="349px" width="620px" src="http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.js#pbid=81bf83eab75d4bf3af515695a41e5b38&ec=44aW03bDojojOIgxTJo0_OtyjB6lqagM"></script>

Knights v Raiders highlights

DavidBouveng
16-03-14, 08:50 PM
Canberra played well and came from behind a couple of times. They have a good overall side and as DB said Milford was a class above.
All I know is that of three of the teams I had as wooden spoon chances, those being Dragons, Raiders, and Tigers, they all showed a lot more potential than a rabble that I watched today.
So true. They all look like organised football teams. For some ungodly reason I tried to watch the replay, but didn't make it to half time.

it struck me again how flat and unready we are to create anything. Just a flat line from half to winger like an under 10s team.

Coaster
16-03-14, 09:18 PM
So true. They all look like organised football teams. For some ungodly reason I tried to watch the replay, but didn't make it to half time.

it struck me again how flat and unready we are to create anything. Just a flat line from half to winger like an under 10s team.

Ashley Harrison was on the news Friday saying the coaching staff had identified that they were too deep against the Sharks. And would be flatter in attack this week.

That was coached into them.

DavidBouveng
16-03-14, 09:39 PM
Ashley Harrison was on the news Friday saying the coaching staff had identified that they were too deep against the Sharks. And would be flatter in attack this week.

That was coached into them.
Now they start listening... Fark.

henry better be careful or he will be an accomplice to this.

Bayside Titan
16-03-14, 10:54 PM
On being flat I noticed Blair trying to get deep a few times in the second half but was forested to get shallower. Now I know why.

teke
17-03-14, 02:54 AM
Oh how I wish I could say some things.

Titanic
17-03-14, 06:58 AM
I don't know why you don't … they won't have a club if they are not careful and then it will be a null point.

Supergoose
17-03-14, 09:47 AM
Obviously after the Tigers game people are wanting changes to the line-up. Here are my suggestions with an empasis on fixing the edge defence. Of course this will never happen and none of it will matter as long as Carty is pulling the strings.

1. Albert Kelly
2. Kevin Gordon (Left)
3. William Zillman (L)
4. David Mead (R)
5. Kalifa Fai Fai Loa (R)
6. Brad Takairangi (R)
7. Aidan Sezer (L)
8. Ryan James (M)
9. Beau Falloon (M)
10. Luke Douglas (M)
11. Greg Bird (L)
12. Dave Taylor (R)
13. Ben Ridge (M)
14. Luke Bailey
15. Mark Ioane
16. Nate Myles
17. Paul Carter

DavidBouveng
17-03-14, 09:58 AM
I was tossing up something similar mate as far as Kelly to the back. mead in. Kffl on wing.

couldnt decide on the halves though. Thought hazard is not quite ready but maybe Srama?

Squinter98
17-03-14, 10:33 AM
I Personally would love to see this team run out in the near future!
1. Albert Kelly
2. Kevin Gordon
3. Brad Takairangi
4. David Mead
5. Kalifa Fai Fai Loa
6. Aiden Sezer
7. Christian Hazard
8. Ryan James
9. Beau Falloon
10. Luke Douglas
11. Greg Bird
12 David Taylor
13. Ben Ridge
--------------------------------
14. Mark Ioane
15. Nate Myles
16. Maurice Blair
17. Paul Carter

Coach: Neil Henry

teke
17-03-14, 01:36 PM
I don't know why you don't … they won't have a club if they are not careful and then it will be a null point.i don't out of respect, noway I would risk the backlash it could bring to my mate.

Maybe a well engineered alias down the track will let things slip :surprise:

teke
17-03-14, 01:39 PM
As much as I would love to see Kelly at fb u just can't take him away from hb in attack. He can get the ball anytime he wants and he makes things happen.

Titanic
17-03-14, 10:52 PM
Yeah teke, Kelly is our half or 6, moving him won't sort the bigger problem … our forwards are the most talked-up under performers ever and that's the coaching. Anybody with an iota of coaching experience should be able to rev them up and give them the simple tasks they need to concentrate on. I can't express how angry I am at their continued ineptitude.

Supergoose
18-03-14, 12:16 AM
While the forwards have been poor they haven't been rushing out of the line and being targeted by teams. If Kelly can diffuse the kicks that come he can bob up equally well from fullback as he does from halfback. I reckon with Dave Taylor and Takairangi terrorizing teams with their offloads to Kelly and Mead on the right with KFFL to do the bullocking work on that side from kick returns we would be fairly potent. It's all hyperthetical anyway. If Carty is making them stand flat in offence we won't get the ball to the edges with any room to move.

Titanic
18-03-14, 06:31 AM
We have never got the ball to the edges … we stand too flat and service is far too slow even before the latest episode … I agree with whoever made the comment that we have too many captains … I just can hope that the players get angry but right now they just look like push overs hiding behind the coach … disgraceful.

DavidBouveng
18-03-14, 11:01 AM
I've heard the players are beginning to get restless.

on the issue of flat structure. Watching the bulldogs last night, their centres, wingers and fullback all get deep and running there deep staggered lines/ plays even when it's just a simple second rower carting it up. We don't do it for backline plays, when they WILL get the ball let alone as a part if some overall gameplay to give variation and options.

imagine when Dave Taylor makes those strong runs and gets swallowed by 4 defenders, if the outside players were all in motion creating the possibility of something happening and forcing one or two defenders to stay off Taylor, and mark up. He would be so much more effective.

DIEHARD
18-03-14, 01:05 PM
This is probably going to be our toughest away trip to Canberra ever.

amaline
18-03-14, 01:16 PM
1 - William Zillman
2 - Kevin Gordon
3 - Brad Tighe
4 – Brad Takairangi
5 - David Mead
6 - Aidan Sezer
7 - Albert Kelly
8 - Luke Douglas
9 - Beau Falloon
10 - Nate Myles (capt)
11 - Greg Bird (capt)
12 – David Taylor
13 - Ashley Harrison
INTERCHANGE (from)

14 - Matthew White
15 - Luke Bailey
16 - Mark Minichiello
17 - Paul Carter
18 - Ryan James
19 – Ben Ridge

amaline
18-03-14, 01:17 PM
The iSelect Titans will monitor the fitness of five-eighth Adam Sezer (quad) and hooker Beau Falloon (knee) over coming days in the lead-up to Sunday’s clash with the Canberra Raiders at GIO Stadium (6.30pm EST, 5.30pm in Qld). Both have been selected and hope to play but their progress will be monitored closely.

Co-captain Greg Bird has recovered well from the shoulder ‘burner’ he received against Wests Tigers and trained well today. Mark Minichiello has recovered from a virus that flattened him last weekend.

Coach John Cartwright has chosen a six-man bench, with Ryan James, who returned successfully from a shoulder injury for Tweed Heads on Sunday, and Ben Ridge included.

The only change to the 17 is in the centres where Brad Takairangi, elevated from Burleigh Bears, replaces Maurice Blair, who will play for the Tweed Heads Seagulls.
http://www.titans.com.au/news/2014/03/18/sezer_and_falloon_battle_injuries.html

Hail Sezer
18-03-14, 01:24 PM
I for one am happy to see Taka back.

Pissed that mini is there. Ryan James comes back from injury..has to fight his way in to the side from tweed. Mini comes back...obligatory inlcusion.

teke
18-03-14, 01:25 PM
Yes, Blair out taka in

DIEHARD
18-03-14, 01:34 PM
Yea very happy to see Taka back.

TITAN FAN
18-03-14, 02:46 PM
Yes great he is back why in the hell was he pushed aside in the first instance, he proved himself last season and with repeated selection gained confidence as a result improved every time he hit the field, at least he can defend Raders are sure to continue where the Tigers left off ,down the same side

DIEHARD
18-03-14, 02:50 PM
Raiders: 1. Anthony Milford, 2. Reece Robinson, 3. Jarrod Croker, 4. Matt Allwood, 5. Edrick Lee, 6. Jack Wighton, 7. Terry Campese (C), 8. Dane Tilse, 9. Glen Buttriss, 10. Brett White, 11. Jarrad Kennedy, 12. Joel Edwards, 13. Paul Vaughan. Interchange: 14. Josh McCrone, 15. Matt McIlwrick, 16. David Shillington, 17. Shannon Boyd

Supergoose
18-03-14, 03:22 PM
Happy than Taka is back in, thought there needed to be change to our left side as well though. We won't get a better chance against the Raiders who have lost Fensom and Papalii for this match. Still a tough ask considering what we have served up so far.

K2G
18-03-14, 03:59 PM
We really carved the raiders up in our early season game against them last year, and we have a history of playing some pretty exciting games against them. I'm hoping Mini drops out for James. You'd think the boy's will be roaring for a big one this weekend.

TITAN FAN
18-03-14, 04:30 PM
We really carved the raiders up in our early season game against them last year, and we have a history of playing some pretty exciting games against them. I'm hoping Mini drops out for James. You'd think the boy's will be roaring for a big one this weekend.

Lets hope so mate

A big ask given the last two games ,they got through by the skin of there teeth against the sharks should have won easily without Carney and loosing Gallen

Tigers also had a skinny squad and they polished us off

lets see if they get out there and play as a team for each other this round

TITAN PETE
18-03-14, 04:35 PM
It is an insult for James to be named 18th man after the rubbish that was dealt last weekend , Myles to the backrow, James to starting Prop & Minichello to Burleigh

DIEHARD
18-03-14, 04:44 PM
And to add further perspective the Bulldogs smashed the Sharks yesterday.

titanfan1980
18-03-14, 05:01 PM
It is an insult for James to be named 18th man after the rubbish that was dealt last weekend , Myles to the backrow, James to starting Prop & Minichello to Burleigh

Or is the insult he turned down more then $100,000 a year more at Sydney clubs, shows the club loyalty trains hard enough to be on for the fittest in the pre season just so he could get dropped to qld cup in reward? #SACKCARTY

gotitans101_
18-03-14, 06:12 PM
It is also an insult to see Zillman retain his spot despite his inept performances.

and LOL @ Blair dropped for Taka. Great buy hey Searle?

karnage
18-03-14, 06:31 PM
Blair had to be dropped. Great. But Taka is not the answer now and he will never, ever be the answer in the future. He is a second rower. His lateral movement is not good enough in defence so if our defence gets spread thin the likes of Milford, Croker and Robinson will cut him to ribbons.

It is so frustrating that our club can allow us to be so wafer thin in such a clutch position. We have one average starting centre and absolutely nobody behind him.

Canberra have scored 20+ away to the Knights and Cowboys, both of whom are better than us. They will score 20+ against us at home. We will not score 14.

GCT_89
18-03-14, 06:47 PM
Blair had to be dropped. Great. But Taka is not the answer now and he will never, ever be the answer in the future. He is a second rower. His lateral movement is not good enough in defence so if our defence gets spread thin the likes of Milford, Croker and Robinson will cut him to ribbons.

It is so frustrating that our club can allow us to be so wafer thin in such a clutch position. We have one average starting centre and absolutely nobody behind him.

Canberra have scored 20+ away to the Knights and Cowboys, both of whom are better than us. They will score 20+ against us at home. We will not score 14.

"like"

NOTE: can we just get a like button??? FB has made me lazy....

Blade07
18-03-14, 06:50 PM
What about Nafe Saluini as a bench hooker he looks the goods in the q cup

TITAN PETE
18-03-14, 07:59 PM
What about Nafe Saluini as a bench hooker he looks the goods in the q cup

He could be another Segyaro , exciting to watch

Boonarga
18-03-14, 08:14 PM

20 + 20 + ? We are going to get lapped and I hope we do. After last weekend they can go and get stuffed until Cartwright is gone.
If it takes some hidings for that to happen, so be it.

C-Whiz
18-03-14, 08:26 PM
I know this is against the general current consensus and it's hard for me to remain positive at this time, but I really HOPE we ditch the BS that we dished up on Sunday, have a good hard look at ourselves, and put something constructive together.

I don't want to get into the "sack Carty" mentality and then be hoping for bad results just to support that idea. I understand those who do, it's been 3 long years now, and I fully support your decision and reasoning, but it's not where I want to be right now.

What I want to see is the Titans rise to be a top 8 team, win more than we lose, and play deep into the finals. I'm a season member, I want to WANT to go to watch them play. I need to stay positive.

Titans to show us something, and win by anything.....

Mexican titan
18-03-14, 08:38 PM
I know this is against the general current consensus and it's hard for me to remain positive at this time, but I really HOPE we ditch the BS that we dished up on Sunday, have a good hard look at ourselves, and put something constructive together.

I don't want to get into the "sack Carty" mentality and then be hoping for bad results just to support that idea. I understand those who do, it's been 3 long years now, and I fully support your decision and reasoning, but it's not where I want to be right now.

What I want to see is the Titans rise to be a top 8 team, win more than we lose, and play deep into the finals. I'm a season member, I want to WANT to go to watch them play. I need to stay positive.

Titans to show us something, and win by anything.....

Good post mate, I agree with you completely and I think most people would. I have been savage on the coach this last week but there is nothing I would prefer than the team win and keep winning. Although I would like Carty out, for that to happen we need to lose a stack of games and it would be another year wasted. The alternative of winning and playing finals footy is a far better option. But all things considered we have had a very easy draw to start with so we need to be winning now.

It's quite strange for me to be wanting a coach out. I grew up following Manly and have followed them for over 40 years and been a member/season ticket holder for 30 years and I cannot ever recall wanting a coach sacked.

Let's hope things turn around and quickly.

karnage
18-03-14, 08:49 PM
Well said Whiz - the #sackCarty thing is just so relevant right now because we have a ready made replacement who can step in at a time in the season where there is everything in the world to play for. WE NEED A GOOD YEAR. We can't afford to let 2014 slip away as 11, 12 and 13 have and then make change when it is all too late.

For the record, I never 'hope' for bad results, but unfortunately I have come to expect them....

Smakked
18-03-14, 09:02 PM
Raiders by 10, just cannot see us getting a win down there of theback of the last 2 games, we have to much work today and 1 week is not enough time

teke
18-03-14, 09:26 PM

Canberra have scored 20+ away to the Knights and Cowboys, both of whom are better than us. They will score 20+ against us at home. We will not score 14.The supposed lack of lateral movement is easily rectified by communication from the back (the fullback) and a good attitude. Taka may not be the answer but god dam the right side is going to be strengthened 20 fold both in defence and attack this weekend.

Coaster
18-03-14, 09:30 PM
Watching Blair rush in and watching poor old Mead following him knowing full well he was going to be in trouble was disheartening.

teke
18-03-14, 09:33 PM
What about when White came across and was the only one with his hands on Richardson, Blair was not one or 2 men in he was the 4th man in from the line

karnage
18-03-14, 09:51 PM
Fair enough. I hope you're right. Sundays was one of the few home games I haven't watched on TV after watching live. I just don't care to watch it.

DIEHARD
18-03-14, 10:39 PM
Stuart calls for support for Sunday's game
Tue 18th March, 03:06PM
Coach Ricky Stuart has called on the Canberra community to come out to GIO Stadium in droves this weekend to support both the Raiders and Brumbies at a promotion for Canberra Milk's 'Dual Code Offer.'

Canberra Milk, proud sponsor of both the Raiders and the Brumbies, have released on their milk bottles this weekend a ‘Dual Code Rugby General Admission (GA) Ticket Offer’ for either a Raiders or a Brumbies match, which aims to encourage the local community to get behind both footy codes.

Simply present 6 Dual Rugby Tokens that are found on the bottles to the box office on the day of the specified game to receive your GA ticket for just $10.

Kylie McCaffery, Marketing and Sponsorship Manager at Canberra Milk confirmed, "Our company is very excited about the upcoming matches for both the Raiders and Brumbies, and through providing this special offer on our 2 and 3 litre bottles we hope the local community feels inspired to get out and show their support of the two local rugby teams.”

The Raiders are set to embark on a new chapter in their proud history under the coaching of Ricky Stuart and greatly appreciate the on-going support from the iconic brand of Canberra Milk.

"The Raiders thank Garry Sykes and his Canberra Milk team for their on-going support, and in particular I applaud them for this dual-code initiative which provides benefit to the local community" commented Jason Mathie, Raiders Commercial and Marketing Manager.

The ‘Dual Code Rugby General Admission (GA) Ticket Offer’ will take place this weekend when the Raiders and the Brumbies will occupy GIO Stadium Canberra on consecutive days. The Brumbies take on the Stormers on Saturday the 22nd of March with the Raiders then taking on the Gold Coast Titans on Sunday the 23rd of March in what will be their first home match of the year.

http://www.raiders.com.au

Supergoose
19-03-14, 12:45 AM
Agree with the Nafe Seluini comments, he's certainly better than Matt Keating. I am enjoying the contribution of Paul Carter. He's a good 'un. Let's hope some hard decisions get made soon and we can get on city supporting a team that has a dig week in and week out.

DIEHARD
19-03-14, 10:30 AM
Titans face early injury crisis

Gold Coast coach John Cartwright has ruled out sending an SOS to former Eels hooker Matt Keating as he struggles to cobble together a side just three weeks into the 2014 Telstra Premiership.

Desperate to bounce back after a poor display against the Wests Tigers on Sunday, Cartwright is facing an early injury crisis with Beau Falloon (knee) and Aidan Sezer (quad) both in doubt despite being named in the squad of 19 to take on the Raiders on Sunday evening.

With Matt Srama still a number of weeks away with a shoulder injury, Sam Irwin injuring an ankle playing in the Intrust Super Cup last weekend and now Falloon in doubt, Cartwright's stocks at No.9 fall solely to part-time hooker Paul Carter.

Ironically, Keating himself was injured playing for Burleigh Bears also last weekend but even if he had been fit to play Cartwright insisted that the veteran of 130 NRL games is not an option at this stage.

"That would be too big an ask on Matt," Cartwright said. "There are alternatives there. Young Matty Beddow has done a lot of training there in the pre-season as well so once we know who's available and who's not we'll come up with a decision.

"If Beau's out we've got Paul Carter there but we'll also have to come up with another alternative there in the hookers."

It's not just the hooking position where the Titans are all of a sudden looking short with Sezer in doubt and Albert Kelly missing training on Tuesday morning. While Kelly is expected to be fit to play, talented young half Christian Hazard is also currently sidelined with a hamstring strain, making Sezer's replacement – should the Titans need one – a tricky selection.

"They're key players in key positions so we won't really know the make-up of the side until Saturday," Cartwright said.

"[Five-eighth] is where we're not really sure. There are some options there. We've got William Zillman who could slot in there and Mead at fullback, or Ashley Harrison. We'll talk about that once we know who is available and sit down with the coaches and discuss that.

"In key positions, they're the hard ones to replace. You can't tend to stockpile players in those positions but they're short-term, so if we can get them back and all available soon we'll be happy."

There was more encouraging news amongst the forwards with Greg Bird (shoulder), Ryan James (hamstring) and Mark Minichiello (virus) all named and expected to be able to take their place in the side.

Cartwright did also make one unforced change with Brad Takairangi brought in at right centre for Maurice Blair in order to address worrying defensive deficiencies exposed by the Tigers on Sunday.

"We gave up some tries there on the weekend that we don't think we should have given up with some decisions that went wrong," Cartwright said.

"'Taka' played a lot of footy last year with Albert on that right edge so we're just pairing them up again."

http://www.nrl.com/titans-face-early-injury-crisis/tabid/10874/newsid/76903/default.aspx

DIEHARD
19-03-14, 10:38 AM
Anthony Milford delivering for Canberra Raiders in farewell season

Canberra livewire Anthony Milford is living up to the promise he gave to his teammates, vowing to leave on a high before joining Brisbane next season.

The Raiders are respecting Milford's decision and coach Ricky Stuart says they will not be pressuring the talented playmaker to keep him at the club before the June 30 deadline.

After tearing up Newcastle in spectacular fashion last weekend, the 19-year-old's next target is Sunday night's first home game of the season against the Gold Coast.

Raiders captain Terry Campese is among those eager to see what Milford can produce at Canberra Stadium as the damaging fullback continues to light up the NRL.

"He's a special talent and well deserved his man of the match on the weekend,'' Campese said.

''At the moment, it's about letting him play football and I think he's been showing what he can do for us.

''He told all the boys he was going to focus 100 per cent on this season.

''All the boys are there to help him out on whatever he wants to do and you couldn't ask more of him.''

Milford's parents have relocated to Canberra this year to help ease his homesickness before he moves to Brisbane at the end of this season.

It has appeared to already have paid dividends, the reigning Mal Meninga medallist as the Raiders' player of the year having a blinder in the 26-20 win against the Knights.

Milford made three line breaks, a try assist and ran for 208 metres in a dominating performance to lead the Raiders to their first victory of the season.

The Raiders were reported to be building a $1 million per season war chest to help change Milford's mind but Stuart said the club would support whichever way the boom youngster wanted to go.

"Anthony's made his decision, it's very unfortunate that he will be at the Broncos,'' Stuart said.

''I said it at the start of the year that we've got Anthony for 2014 and we'll enjoy the culture we're growing and building.

''It's only early but we've got a healthy attitude and building a culture here at the club.''

The Raiders will go in with a makeshift forward pack minus Kangaroos enforcer Josh Papalii and workaholic lock Shaun Fensom.

Papalii will miss four to six weeks with an ankle injury, while Fensom will serve a one-game suspension for a crusher tackle after taking an early guilty plea for the dangerous contact charge on Knights centre Dane Gagai.

"It's a big loss, they're our two star back-rowers,'' Campese said.

"The guys that fill in those positions have a job to do.''

Representative prop David Shillington returns on the bench for his first game this season after he missed the opening two rounds with a rib injury.

Front-rower Paul Vaughan moves to lock, Jarrad Kennedy starts in the second row and Matt McIlwrick is included on the bench.

McIlwrick has played the majority of his 12 games at hooker but has impressed in the NSW Cup with Mounties as a second-rower.

Prop Tom Learoyd-Lahrs is at least another week away with an ankle injury.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/

DIEHARD
19-03-14, 10:38 AM
Canberra Raiders' five-eighth Jack Wighton thrives on Ricky Stuart's backing

Jack Wighton was kicking himself after his debut at five-eighth, but the 21-year-old has credited the unconditional backing of Canberra coach Ricky Stuart for helping him ‘’bury some demons’’ in Sunday’s 26-20 win at Newcastle.

Wighton admits he was spooked by kicking out on the full in his first touch in the No.6 jersey in Canberra's round one loss to the North Queensland Cowboys.

But, urged by Stuart to take the first few kicks of the game against the Knights, Wighton delivered a pinpoint grubber for centre Jarrod Croker to open the scoring. Wighton also pulled off a 40-20 late in the game which helped Canberra seal victory.

“It was a game plan and he [Stuart] kept confidence in me with my kicking,’’ Wighton said.

“It was great to see he didn’t try and take any part of my game away, he showed full confidence.

“That grubber was a bit of self assurance and it felt good getting a bit of consistency in my kicks.

“[There were] a lot of demons actually. I left that behind me and just played.’’

Wighton finished with two try assists and his early ball to Croker was a major weapon for the Raiders.

While the left edge Wighton patrols suffered a couple of communication breakdowns in defence, Wighton looked more comfortable than he did in Townsville.

Stuart confirmed he had urged Wighton to take the first few kicks and ease the burden on regular kicker Terry Campese.

“We planned to kick down that left edge and I wasn’t going to move Campo over to do it,’’ Stuart said.

“Jack had to do it, it’s his job.

“I wouldn’t give him a challenge or task if I didn’t think he’d be up to it.’’

Stuart made two big positional changes in the off-season, moving Wighton to five-eighth and shifting halfback Josh McCrone to hooker.

Both showed signs of blossoming against the Knights, with McCrone helping swing momentum in Canberra’s favour when he came on midway through the first half.

He scored a 25-metre try from dummy half and raised the intensity in attack.

“A lot of people doubted the change but it’s the right balance for us at the moment,'' Stuart said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/canberra-raiders-fiveeighth-jack-wighton-thrives-on-ricky-stuarts-backing-20140318-hvjqs.html#ixzz2wMfK4qx5

Titanic
19-03-14, 11:08 AM
Transiting Hong Kong and missed most of this discussion but surely it's too early tone playing the "injury" card, that really craps me off. We have a club. We have depth and we have young blokes. Also as has been mentioned many times … Tighe plays right, Blair plays left (ask Bellamy, I did last Saturday night) … WTF?

Skyfire
19-03-14, 01:02 PM
Transiting Hong Kong and missed most of this discussion but surely it's too early tone playing the "injury" card, that really craps me off. We have a club. We have depth and we have young blokes. Also as has been mentioned many times … Tighe plays right, Blair plays left (ask Bellamy, I did last Saturday night) … WTF?

Smokescreens ahoy.

It's the heat. It's injuries. In NFL they have more staff.

teke
19-03-14, 01:23 PM
Transiting Hong Kong and missed most of this discussion but surely it's too early tone playing the "injury" card, that really craps me off. We have a club. We have depth and we have young blokes. Also as has been mentioned many times … Tighe plays right, Blair plays left (ask Bellamy, I did last Saturday night) … WTF?exactly, it's similar to when we first got Jamal. Carty stuck him straight out of position into left centre.

DavidBouveng
19-03-14, 01:30 PM
An argument could be made that 5 of our 7 backline players are being played out of position, and at least two forwards.

Not or exactly following the 'aces in their places' rule of thumb.

DIEHARD
20-03-14, 04:31 AM
GIO Stadium Sunday 6:30pm (AEST)

Have you got a dictionary lying around? If you do, scour it for the word 'disappointment'. Does it mention anything about the Gold Coast Titans playing at Cbus Super Stadium last weekend? No? Well perhaps it should. The Titans were clearly not themselves on the weekend after capitulating to the might of the Wests Tigers. Captain Nate Myles screamed himself ho****, Greg Bird went down injured and coach John Cartwright couldn’t help but feel sorry for his side’s supporters after their 42-12 defeat to the wooden spoon favourites.

Unlike the Round 1 win over the Sharks, the Titans' defence failed to hold firm against the Tigers. While it’s only early in the season, the Titans will have to be extra careful moving forward in preventing a repeat performance in anyway reminiscent to their efforts in Round 2 – especially giving they are facing a red-hot Raiders side who are seeking redemption after the 36-zip pasting they copped the last time they met.

Canberra are currently playing like their lives depend on solid performances. Their well-balanced side is complemented by the class of fullback Anthony Milford, the level-headedness of captain and halfback Terry Campese and the obvious influence of new coach Ricky Stuart. With the Raiders having let in 20+ points in both of their games this season and losing lock Shaun Fensom (suspension) and Josh Papalii (ankle) for this week’s game, they’ll have to be wary of closing down a mobile Titans team.

In team changes, Maurice Blair is out for the Titans with Brad Takairangi to replace him, while Mark Minichiello returns after being kept out of last week’s game with a virus. While for the Raiders, David Shillington and Matt McIlwrick come into the side for Fensom and Papalii. It will be Shillington’s 100th appearance for the Canberra Raiders.

Watch Out Raiders: While the Gold Titans haven’t had the greatest of starts to 2014 there has been a bright spark in the form of Albert Kelly. Kelly, who has had his troubles previously, has really turned it on for the Titans this season. With two tries, two line-breaks, a try assist and an average of 232.2 metres per game to boot, Kelly is living up to the reputation he has had since coming into first-grade in 2010. With Kelly on song and his combination with five-eighth Aidan Sezer growing – the Raiders should be wary off a Gold Coast bounce-back. With names like Myles, Bailey, Douglas, Zillman, Bird and Harrison on their roster, the Titans have too good a side not to be competitive this week – especially in light of the performance they put forward last weekend.

Watch Out Titans: The Raiders' spine is getting stronger with each week. Terry Campese looks to be returning to such form not seen since he played State of Origin, Glenn Buttriss and Josh McCrone are playing admirably out of hooker while Jack Wighton is building to something special at five-eighth. As for Anthony Milford – we don’t need to tell you how good he is. His wizard-like two try assists and three line-breaks are basically keeping Canberra on the front foot.

Plays To Watch: Jack Wighton – who knew he had a kicking game – set up the Raiders first try last weekend with a pristine grubber into the in-goal before kicking a crucial 40/20 late in the game; Albert Kelly’s ability of making something out of nothing – for the second week in a row Kelly weaved his way through the defence of the opposition for several long-range runs and another runaway try; Paul Vaughan’s enormous impact off the interchange bench – for the second week in a row the Italian international has been unleashed off the bench with positives consequences for the Raiders, averaging 12 hit-ups for 150 metres and 24 tackles; Nate Myles – captain courageous – has smashed out 35.2 tackles per game from the front-row so far this season.

Where It Will Be Won: While the Raiders have been playing quite well this season, their opposition have been able to put on several point scoring plays against them throughout their opening two games. The Raiders are currently conceding on average a concerning 24 points per game in 2014. In an interesting plot twist, the Titans victory over the Sharks in Round 1 saw the side concede only two tries in a low-scoring 16-12 victory. Yet in Round 2, they opened the turnstiles and invited the Tigers in for 42 points. In what could prove to be a learning curve, both sides should be looking to prevent their opposition from crossing the white line as consistently as they have been to cement any chance of victory.

The History: Played 13; Raiders 5, Titans 8. It has been all one-sided in recent memory with the Titans winning four of their past five games against the Raiders. It is more likely than not that when these two sides go up against one another it involves a flurry of points. Despite all this, the Raiders were no match for the Titans in their last meeting in Round 2 last year – shut out of the contest 36-0.

What Are The Odds: Despite being opened as $1.53 favourites, money is 50/50 for the Raiders and Titans ($2.38) so far with Sportsbet.com.au. Punters aren’t going anywhere near the -4.5 line that’s currently on offer.

Match Officials: Referees – Gavin Badger & Brett Suttor; Touch Judges – Dave Ryan & Matt Noyen; Video Referees – Luke Phillips & Steve Folkes.

Televised: Fox Sports 1 – Live 6:30pm (AEDT).

The Way We See It: The Titans were absolutely miserable last week so this one should really be a no-brainer. However, rugby league is a funny game and weirder things have happened. The Raiders have been impressive so far this season and playing down in Canberra for the first time this year will only help the Green Machine. Raiders by 8 points.

Statistics: Champion Data.

http://www.nrl.com/

DIEHARD
20-03-14, 04:37 AM
ACT Brumbies and Canberra Raiders in rare double billing

They're joining forces for a $10 super ticket but the ACT Brumbies and Canberra Raiders want to avoid future cross-code clashes to maximise crowds and host stand-alone games in the capital.

The Brumbies and Raiders will both play in Canberra on Saturday and Sunday for the only time of their respective Super Rugby and NRL campaigns.

They usually avoid doubling up in Canberra on the same weekend to increase crowds, but they hope winning form draws in fans instead of splitting the capital in two.

The Brumbies are aiming for their fourth win in a row after an impressive start to their Super Rugby season.

Raiders legend Ricky Stuart will be hoping for a triumphant homecoming, in charge for his first game in Canberra after the Green Machine started its season on the road.

The Canberra crowd of more than 17,000 at the Brumbies clash against the NSW Waratahs was just 200 people short of setting a NSW-ACT benchmark last weekend across Super Rugby, A-League, NRL and AFL matches.

But the Brumbies admit they face the biggest crowd numbers challenge of their season as they attempt to pack the stands for their clash against the Cape Town Stormers, a traditionally low-drawing South African team.

The Brumbies have averaged more than 15,000 fans at two Australian derby home games this year, despite going head to head with rival events the Canberra Show and Skyfire.

But one of Super Rugby's toughest challenges is building tribalism and Brumbies general manager Simon Chester conceded hosting South African teams made it harder to draw big crowds.

"Last weekend, you had a guy like Israel Folau but I work in rugby and I don't know one Stormers player," Chester said.

"That's what's hard about it. People will watch Folau or [Kurtley] Beale because they can identify with them. NRL players get that exposure on free to air television.

"But with this ticket deal ... it's about trying to get those fringe supporters to come in and watch instead of going to the movies or ice skating."

The Brumbies and Raiders have shelved cross-code and cross-town rivalries to link with Canberra Milk for a cheap ticket offer this week.

The Brumbies play the Stormers on Saturday night, while the Raiders will aim for back-to-back wins when they play the Gold Coast Titans on Sunday night.

Both teams, led by club legends Stephen Larkham and Stuart, have shown enough to suggest they will be finals contenders this season.

But despite their winning form, Chester and Raiders commercial manager Jason Mathie said their preference remained avoiding schedule clashes to stretch out Canberra's winter season.

"Our preference would be to stay on different weekends ... that way you get something at Canberra Stadium every weekend instead of hitting it twice in two days," Chester said.

Stuart got his first win as Raiders coach when Canberra beat the Newcastle Knights last weekend.

The former champion halfback and three-time premiership player is trying to instil a new winning culture at the Raiders to rebuild the club after a horror 2013 season.

"I think it's great we've got both codes together, it's all about Canberra, the community and supporting local teams," Stuart said.

"I'm not going to get down and beg for people to come to the game ... I'm confident if we play the way we have the last two weeks, people will want to come and watch us play.

"Our passionate play is becoming quite normal and, over the last two weeks, has pleased me most as a coach."

The Brumbies had to be rebuilt after a woeful 2011 season, recruiting Jake White as coach and bringing in a host of new players to build a winning culture.

The Raiders started their rebuilding this year, signing Stuart as coach and overhauling the rugby league program.

"The big important thing for the Raiders is getting back to back wins, as it is with us," Brumbies captain Ben Mowen said.

"It's exciting to see how they go, they have a similar mix to us and it's great when both Canberra sides do well.

"When we had two guys in the sin bin last week [against the Waratahs], it was the crowd which got us home. With [the Brumbies and Raiders in form] you'd love to see big crowds again."

DUAL CODE TICKET OFFER

Super Rugby: ACT Brumbies v Cape Town Stormers, Saturday 7.40pm.

NRL: Canberra Raiders v Gold Coast Titans, Sunday 6.30pm.

To redeem the dual code general admission offer, collect six tokens from Canberra Milk cartons and get a discounted $10 ticket to either game at Canberra Stadium.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/canberra-raiders/act-brumbies-and-canberra-raiders-in-rare-double-billing-20140318-hvk20.html#ixzz2wR2luAaM

Hail Sezer
20-03-14, 10:34 AM
Why is there so many Raiders articles in this thread? haha

Sezer is out, Harro in at five eighth. Wtf.

Source is Tony Webecks twitter

amaline
20-03-14, 10:51 AM
Why is there so many Raiders articles in this thread? haha

Sezer is out, Harro in at five eighth. Wtf.

Source is Tony Webecks twitter

He got the ball on the 5th tackle in good attacking position twice against the Tigers. One kick went out on the full, the other went into touch with no Titans near it.

teke
20-03-14, 11:02 AM
Harro to 5/8 lol.

This team is epic

karnage
20-03-14, 11:10 AM
So now we have second rowers at centre AND in the halves. Cartwright's vision for attacking Rugby League is complete...

Bayside Titan
20-03-14, 11:36 AM
Why wasn't Beau Henry selected at 5/8???? When called on last year played well for us. Another typical Carty pick.

Coaster
20-03-14, 11:43 AM
Oh My........

Surfers66
20-03-14, 12:05 PM
Yeah things are looking bad but this is when we sometimes play our best... Trying to be positive.

Just a question for Teke or anyone else that know the titans training schedule.

Last week we played at 2pm in the heat of the day, in the week leading up to that game did we train at 2pm in the heat of the day??? Do we practise in the condition we may be facing later on in the week???
Would the boys be training at 5.30 at night this week to try and make the training conditions as similar as it would be to game time???

C-Whiz
20-03-14, 01:01 PM
Yeah things are looking bad but this is when we sometimes play our best... Trying to be positive.

Just a question for Teke or anyone else that know the titans training schedule.

Last week we played at 2pm in the heat of the day, in the week leading up to that game did we train at 2pm in the heat of the day??? Do we practise in the condition we may be facing later on in the week???
Would the boys be training at 5.30 at night this week to try and make the training conditions as similar as it would be to game time???
I read in todays paper that the average weight loss across the team was 1.9kg!!! That sound pretty massive! The biggest loss was about 3.8kg or something. To be fair, that must take a huge toll on the body.

I think that's about what DB and HS drop to get shredded, just before they take to the stage in their fake tan and shiny g-bangers to pose for the judges.... :surprise:

Anyway, apparently Carty has given the boys an extra day off training to get their fluids back up.... or something like that.

Not that we need any extra training, we are awesome... :nope:

DIEHARD
20-03-14, 05:04 PM
Ohhhhhhh ****..........

DIEHARD
20-03-14, 05:04 PM
I'd way prefer Bird at 5/8th than Harrison.

Blade07
20-03-14, 05:41 PM
Will this create space for james to be in the 17

gotitans101_
20-03-14, 06:52 PM
Neither Bird or Harrison are halves. Where is this so called 'depth' this team is supposed to have?

DIEHARD
20-03-14, 06:56 PM
RAIDERS V TITANS

Titans five-eighth Aidan Sezer (quad) is out and will be replaced by Ash Harrison. Beau Falloon (knee) is expected to play despite not training. Josh Papalii (ankle) and Shaun Fensom (suspension) are unavailable for the Raiders, which brings Jarrad Kennedy and Paul Vaughan into the starting side.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/

Supergoose
20-03-14, 07:35 PM
With Hazard carrying a hamstring injury and Srama and Irwin also out there was little option for Cartwright. He either had to reinstate Blair at 5/8 or use Taka there but the easiest option for him was to go with Bird or Harrison and I'm go d he went with Harrison as I believe it will be the least disruptive for us. Bird has been a key member of our go forward and I wouldn't want I weaken two positions. With Ridge coming in for Harrison I believe we're only weaker at 5/8.

TITAN PETE
20-03-14, 08:41 PM
I think we should forfeit this week if Harrison is playing 6, Taka should've been given a shot before a Ash..

DIEHARD
20-03-14, 09:33 PM
Canberra Raiders lean on big men for clash with Gold Coast Titans

Move over David Taylor, Canberra are preparing to throw 567 kilograms of front-row muscle at the Titans in their first home game of the year on Sunday night.

While the Titans boast 121kg wrecking ball Taylor, the Raiders will boast a virtual five-man prop rotation as they try and overcome the massive void left by injured star back-rowers Josh Papalii and Shaun Fensom.

Regular prop Paul Vaughan will fill Fensom's shoes at lock while he serves a one-week suspension for a crusher tackle.

It means the Raiders will start the match with virtually three front-rowers as they look to combat a Titans pack keen to prove a point after their capitulation to Wests Tigers last weekend.

Vaughan is likely to move back into the front row at some stage, with Matt McIlwrick slotting into the No.13 role off the bench.

"We've got Vaughany starting at lock and he's a damaging ball-runner, it might be good having three big fellas to start,'' prop Dane Tilse said.

"We've probably got the Titans at a bad time coming off a loss like that, they wouldn't be happy with their performance and will be fired up.''

Tilse is confident the pack can cover the huge hole left by Papalii and Fensom, but said compensating Fensom's unparalled work ethic is everyone's responsibility.

"Matty [McIlwrick] will come off the bench [at lock], and he's one of the fittest players in the club,'' Tilse said.

"He'll help with the support play Fenno does, who I think is the best in the game at it.''

Tilse admitted talk the Raiders are seeking established front-rowers for next season is motivation to perform.

The 29-year-old and fellow veterans Tom Learoyd-Lahrs and Brett White are all off contract at the end of the year, and the Raiders are believed to be monitoring Penrith big man Tim Grant.

Asked if that was an incentive to play well, Tilse said: "Definitely, we always knew it was going to be a big season for us [props].

"There has obviously been some talk about a few other blokes, but I'm confident in my ability, and confident we'll sort something out shortly.''

Representative prop David Shillington will return from a rib injury, ensuring Canberra fields a massive front row featuring fellow giants Tilse, White and Shannon Boyd.

Vaughan knows he cannot be expected to match Fensom's workload, who churned through 53 tackles and 20 hit-ups against Newcastle last week.

Statistics prove how critical Fensom is to the Raiders, who have lost six of their past eight matches without him.

"They're pretty similar positions, lock and front row, but I have to take on a bigger workload now Shaun's out,'' Vaughan said.

"The hole Shaun leaves is huge, he has a huge workload which is one of the best in the NRL.

"It's going to be hard for me to fill a hole as big as that, the main thing I need to get my head around is punching out more minutes, which I'm looking forward to.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/canberra-raiders-lean-on-big-men-for-clash-with-gold-coast-titans-20140320-hvkqb.html#ixzz2wVAgWuCA

DIEHARD
20-03-14, 09:34 PM
Canberra Raiders v Gold Coast Titans

At GIO Stadium, Sunday 6.30pm

Referees: Gavin Badger, Brett Suttor

Head to Head: Titans 8 Raiders 5

Last clash: Titans 36 bt Raiders 0 at Skilled Park, Rd 2 2013

Ladbrokes: Raiders $1.48, Titans $2.65

Betfair: Raiders $1.46, Titans $2.82

AAP writes: The Raiders have been a little lazy in defence this year and losing tackling machine Shaun Fensom (suspension) and Josh Papalii (ankle) won’t help their cause. Fortunately they’ll have Maroons prop David Shillington back from his rib injury on the bench alongside Matt McIlwrick, with Jarrad Kennedy and Paul Vaughan promoted to the starting side. Meanwhile the Titans’ Brad Takairangi replaced Maurice Blair in the centres, and Mark Minichiello (virus) and Ryan James (hamstring) are both available to play to bolster the forwards.

The Titans are coming off the back of a thumping from the Tigers, and not only are they facing their opponents at their Canberra fortress, but the Raiders will be buoyed by their away win against the Knights last week.

Key: Raiders fullback Anthony Milford. He was simply sensational against the Knights with a 200 metre match winning effort.

Tip: Raiders

Michael Chammas writes: Gold Coast were very disappointing last week, while the Raiders showed plenty of promise toppling the Knights in enemy territory. Anthony Milford is the most influential player in the Raiders team. If he fires, the Titans stand no chance of leaving the nation’s capital with two points. If they shut him down, the Titans may spring an upset. Raiders by 10.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-match-preview/canberra-raiders-v-gold-coast-titans-20140320-hvkxx.html#ixzz2wVAvC4av

DIEHARD
20-03-14, 09:45 PM
NRL Round 3 preview: Canberra Raiders v Gold Coast Titans

Canberra Raiders host Gold Coast Titans on Sunday, March 23 in Round 3 of the NRL. The match kicks off at 6.30pm (AEDT).
What: NRL round 3

Who: Canberra Raiders v Gold Coast Titans
When: Sunday, March 23 – 6.30pm (AEDT)
Where: GIO Stadium
I can watch it on: Fox Sports
Form guide:
Canberra: LW
Gold Coast: WL

Things you need to know:
Canberra have suffered a cruel blow with destructive forward Josh Papalii out for six weeks with an ankle injury sustained in the win over Newcastle last weekend. Lock Shaun Fensom, who signed a new three-year deal with the club this week, also misses out through suspension. Jarrad Kennedy and Paul Vaughan come off the bench into the starting side with Matt McIlwrick recalled while David Shillington is fit again and will make his 100th club appearance after missing the first two games with a rib injury. Brad Takairangi is the only change for the visitors despite their embarrassing loss to the Tigers on Sunday. He is called into the centres with Maurice Blair dropped to Queensland Cup. Greg Bird (shoulder) and Mark Minichiello (virus) are both expected to play despite fitness clouds but Aiden Sezer (quad) and Beau Falloon (knee) are in doubt. Ryan James and Ben Ridge have been added to an extended bench. The Titans have won four of the last five clashes between the two clubs.

Reason to watch:
He might only have 20 NRL games under his belt but there's no denying Anthony Milford is a star and the one who ignites things for the Raiders. He ran for over 200 metres in the win over the Knights, setting up two tries and making three line-breaks in a devastating display. You can bet Raiders coach Ricky Stuart will be doing all he can in the next few months to try and make Milford change his mind about heading to Brisbane next season. It will also be interesting to see how big Titans forward David Taylor performs after a week where the club was forced to dismiss reports they are trying to offload him from his lucrative contract.

Reason to turn away:
Who knows which Titans team will turn up after Jekyll and Hyde performances in the opening two rounds. They could be feeling the effects of the extreme heat on the Gold Coast last Sunday and are vulnerable of going into this one a little flat and fatigued. Both these sides were average in 2013 and if they dish up that kind of form again it might be worth watching MKR instead.

Say what:
"I've heard the rumours and I've spoken to the club about them. We accept they are just rumours, and with no foundation. I have bought a house here (on the Gold Coast) and have the kids enrolled at schools, so we're settled on the Gold Coast and I'm happy playing for the Titans. I have no desire to go anywhere." – Titans back-rower David Taylor

Final word:
Canberra finally get to play in front of their home fans after an opening fortnight on the road and they should get off to a winning start. The Green Machine have showed good signs in patches in both their opening games. The Titans were simply horrible last time out and have a few of their key players under injury clouds. They will enjoy the cooler conditions of the nation's capital compared to the heat of home but it won't change their fortunes. Raiders by 12

Sportingbet odds:
Raiders: $1.53
Titans: $2.55

http://www.sportal.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/nrl-round-3-preview-canberra-raiders-v-gold-coast-titans/p0i3nong2cw013ujtu19xoikz

C-Whiz
20-03-14, 10:43 PM
I read in todays paper that the average weight loss across the team was 1.9kg!!! That sound pretty massive! The biggest loss was about 3.8kg or something. To be fair, that must take a huge toll on the body.

I think that's about what DB and HS drop to get shredded, just before they take to the stage in their fake tan and shiny g-bangers to pose for the judges.... :surprise:

Anyway, apparently Carty has given the boys an extra day off training to get their fluids back up.... or something like that.

Not that we need any extra training, we are awesome... :nope:

Here is the article.

Titans coach John Cartwright has cancelled training today to allow his battered team more recovery time for Sunday’s clash with Canberra, heaven help the Tigers who’ve copped a dreadful five-day turnaround to be ready to play title heavyweights South Sydney on Friday.

When Titans players returned to the club for recovery on Monday morning, the average body weight of the team was 1.9kg lighter than the previous week’s weigh-in following their Monday night victory over Cronulla.

Some players lost up to 3.2kg of body weight during the 80-minute scorcher on Sunday. Under hydration plans at the club players must consume 150 per cent of weight loss volume in water and electrolytes 24-hours post-game to help regain their pre-game weight.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/hit-up-titans-coach-john-cartwright-had-to-cancel-training-to-allow-his-team-more-recovery-time/story-e6frf3ou-1226859446285

DavidBouveng
21-03-14, 07:32 AM
tigers would have been similar and they play Friday night, two days before us.

Smakked
21-03-14, 08:28 AM
tigers would have been similar and they play Friday night, two days before us.

Yeah just carty making excuses, i bet tigers play better tonight then what we play on Sunday.

Coaster
21-03-14, 09:25 AM
Statistically you would expect the titans to lose this. And win next week

Bayside Titan
21-03-14, 10:54 AM
Here's what I hope the results to be this weekend.
1. We win and we win showing good form and a good margin.
2. Loose only by a small margin and know that the team as a whole played well.

Here is what I won't handle happening this week.
1. We grind out a messy win. No team cohesion
2. We loose and we loose and the team looks disinterested and sloppy.

Mr Stupid
21-03-14, 11:55 AM

1. We win and we win showing good form and a good margin. In a spectacular scoop for those journalists present at the press conference, Cartwright admits that the team won by ignoring his advice, gets up, graciously shakes Greg Bird by the hand, wishes the club well and exits. The next day he scores an OK gig at the Panthers.

1. Anything else

Bayside Titan
21-03-14, 01:17 PM

1. We win and we win showing good form and a good margin. In a spectacular scoop for those journalists present at the press conference, Cartwright admits that the team won by ignoring his advice, gets up, graciously shakes Greg Bird by the hand, wishes the club well and exits. The next day he scores an OK gig at the Panthers.

1. Anything else

Gold. Not sure why I didn't think of that..... Oh wait I know why.. It's Friday and almost "wine o'clock".

I stand corrected. Time to see if I have enough alcohol for the night.

Geeman
21-03-14, 03:23 PM
Tighe used to play in the halves, why not play him there and bring in Likiliki or KFFL to centres? Surely a more mobile 5/8 than Harro...

Titanic Believer
21-03-14, 05:23 PM
Tighe used to play in the halves, why not play him there and bring in Likiliki or KFFL to centres? Surely a more mobile 5/8 than Harro...

It could be the find of the season. Definitely what we need. Someone to stand up and show we have some hope this year. Honestly if the new guys don't show something special what is changed from last year?

DIEHARD
21-03-14, 05:36 PM
Dont kill me if this has already been posted lol.

Harrison happy with shift to six

He took down two representative five-eighths when he was shifted to the No.6 jersey last season but Titans veteran Ashley Harrison is wary of a young Canberra stand-off still learning the ropes.

Harrison has been shifted to the relatively unfamiliar position of five-eighth for Sunday's clash with the Raiders in Canberra after regular No.6 Aidan Sezer was ruled out with a quadricep injury, marking just the 30th time he has started there in his 268-game career to date.

Jack Wighton had a scratchy start to his career as an NRL No.6 in Canberra's Round 1 loss to North Queensland but bounced back to play a key role in his side's upset win over the Knights last Sunday and has the full confidence of coach Ricky Stuart.

Marking up against Benji Marshall, Josh Reynolds and Johnathan Thurston in consecutive weeks towards the back-end of last season, Harrison helped the Titans to wins over the Tigers and Bulldogs and is excited at the prospect of a temporary shift back to five-eighth.

"I had a couple of runs there last year and we ended up getting a couple of wins so we'll simplify it a lot with me at six, hopefully roll through our sets and if we do that we know we'll be able to put pressure on," Harrison said. "If we can't do that, we all saw what happened on the weekend," he added, referencing Gold Coast's 42-12 loss to the Tigers.

"I'll try and straighten the defence up a bit and run the ball so nothing too much changes for me. I've just got to be at different parts of the field at different times but I went through that last year and felt comfortable and looking forward to the challenge.

"I do enjoy it actually. It's a different challenge for me and a different role so looking forward to preparing. I've got one more training session to get under my belt and then get down to Canberra and give it a crack."

With youngster Christian Hazard on the injured list and Beau Henry making his comeback from a knee reconstruction for Tweed Heads in the Intrust Super Cup this weekend, coach John Cartwright was limited in the availability of back-up halves.

Co-captain Greg Bird has played plenty of five-eighth at club and representative level over the years and although the loss of Sezer puts an enormous strain on those responsible for kicking in general play – not to mention goal-kicking – Harrison's teammates have every faith that he's the man for the job.

"Harro's done it before; he's played in the six before," said Mark Minichiello, who will return a couple of kilograms lighter having missed last Sunday's loss with a virus that stripped his frame of four kilograms in total.

"There are a few guys there that are pushing him but he'll be fine. He trained out here really well today, we're just getting used to those combinations now and he'll be solid like he is every week. He's good defensively and he'll know what to do in attack."

Harrison conceded that the Titans may have been guilty of taking the Wests Tigers too lightly last Sunday and won't fall into a similar trap against a Raiders team boasting a big pack of forwards and exhilarating young backs in Anthony Milford and Jack Wighton.

"We'll have a look at [Wighton] today and tomorrow and see what he does for them but they're pretty strong across the park," Harrison said. "They've got some young kids in there who are going great and they'll be a handful, that's for sure."

http://www.nrl.com/

Mexican titan
21-03-14, 05:37 PM
I see Badger is the ref. Lets hope there is no over reaction this week as he has been slammed for not sending off that lunatic Lussick last week.

Titanic
21-03-14, 06:11 PM
The only lunatic we have has a clipboard.

Bayside Titan
21-03-14, 07:31 PM
The only lunatic we have has a clipboard.

Coaster could add a name or two to that list. ;-)

DIEHARD
22-03-14, 12:23 PM
Raiders.com: Knowing the Enemy: Round 3
<script height="349px" width="620px" src="http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.js#pbid=fd5fc71d2bcc4b60a622cf8d3348d605&ec=l3bTRibDokN16-_5Z5WiBjEdtNM-OFaF"></script>

DIEHARD
22-03-14, 12:35 PM
Raiders' new cheerleading squad, the Emeralds, adopt more modest look

http://images.canberratimes.com.au/2014/03/21/5283786/ml-artw-emeralds-20140321202036893761-620x349.jpg

(l-r) Laura Dawson, Brittney Gould, Gabrielle Ide, Bronwen Stead, Paige Loman and Eliza Shephard.

This is the first look at the uniforms that will be worn by the new Canberra Raiders cheerleaders, the Emeralds, as they prepare to make their debut performance at Canberra Stadium on Sunday night.

The boy-leg-cut jumpsuits will be worn with tights by the 18 squad members, five of whom were members of the former Raiderettes.

The squad's co-ordinator, Melissa Gelonese, said there had been an effort to move away from the traditional cheerleader look.

http://images.canberratimes.com.au/2014/03/21/5283787/ml-artw-emeralds-20140321202012799539-620x349.jpg
The Canberra Raiders new look cheer squad The Emeralds at Skyfire.

''There's no cleavage, no midriff,'' she said, adding that the women would arrive at games in a corporate-style suit.

''So the whole image has changed, and I know the girls are feeling elevated and very different about the whole thing - a bit of high esteem.''

Mrs Gelonese said there would usually be 12 cheerleaders on the field but 15 would perform for the debut appearance at half-time on Sunday night, when the Raiders take on the Gold Coast Titans.

http://images.canberratimes.com.au/2014/03/21/5283788/ml-artw-emeralds-20140321201933465634-620x349.jpg
The new Raider's cheersquad, the Emeralds at Raiders HQ in Bruce ahead of their first performance on Sunday.

She said instead of sitting on the sidelines during the game, the Emeralds would interact with the crowd and join in any try-time celebrations, ''rather than sitting there being jeered at and leered at. I don't agree with that.''

Mrs Gelonese said there had been a conscious move to update the cheerleaders' routines, making them a genuine dance performance and trying to deflect any sniping about sexism.

''I've got a school teaching background. I'm not involved in anything that is counteractive to any positive role models and image of women. I've also got a little girl and I'm really careful about role models,'' she said.

''Dance is performance. The girls are characters when they're performing. And when they're off field, they're friendly representatives of the club.''

The majority of the dancers are from Canberra. ''There's only one or two reserves I'll ever use from Sydney,'' she said.

The Emeralds' three junior squads will be introduced after the Easter break. They will comprise about 20 members in total, ranging in age from about five years old to teenagers.

''They'll be doing the on-field cheering as well,'' Mrs Gelonese said.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/raiders-new-cheerleading-squad-the-emeralds-adopt-more-modest-look-20140321-3590n.html#ixzz2wefoYZNk

DIEHARD
22-03-14, 12:35 PM
Who do I blame for this? The Rabbitohs or the Bulldogs? LOL

DIEHARD
22-03-14, 12:36 PM
Trevor Gillmeister has challenged the Titans to prove their last-start capitulation was a one-off

TREVOR Gillmeister has challenged the Titans to “aim up” against Canberra and prove their last-start capitulation was a one-off.

The Titans will have their final hit-out this morning before heading to the nation’s capital to face one of the NRL’s most potent teams.

The clash comes a week after one of the most embarrassing performance’s in the club’s history — a record-breaking 42-12 loss to Wests.

It was the Gold Coast’s biggest loss at home in their eight-year history, with ex-Test star Matthew Johns labelling the effort “pathetic”.

But the Titans have a chance to make amends tomorrow at a ground they have won at in their past two trips and Gillmeister, an assistant to coach John Cartwright, said he was confident the 30-point drubbing was a one-off.

“We’ve got to aim up,” he said. “Our blokes have got a point to prove after last weekend. No one will be tipping us to win.

“They love a challenge. This is another one after what happened last week.”

Few saw the Tigers capitulation coming after the Titans produced a gutsy round 1 win over Cronulla, but Gillmeister said the team had responded well from the flogging.

“We didn’t want to say too much about it but a few of them were a bit crook. A bug went through the joint,” he said. “We’ve given them the benefit of the doubt. I’m pretty confident they’ll aim up.

“I’ve seen it happen time and time again. Teams get touched up and bounce back the next week.

“Hopefully we can just put it down to one of those days.”

Hooker Beau Falloon (knee) is expected to have his first run of the week this morning and his availability is crucial to the Coast’s chances.

Five-eighth Aidan Sezer (quads) has already been ruled out and winger David Mead said the Titans needed to play as a team to bury last week’s embarrassment.

“When something went out the door, individuals were trying to fix the problem themselves,” he said.

“We kept giving the ball away. There was no communication and we couldn’t get our plays on.

“We need to play as a team, hold on to the ball and stick with the game plan.”

Mead’s right side was peppered by the Tigers, who continually found holes in the defence of Albert Kelly, Maurice Blair and Mead.

Brad Takairangi coming in has replaced Blair (dropped), and Mead said he was confident of turning things around.

Blair has been (dropped) has been replaced by Brad Takairangi coming in, and Mead said he was confident of turning things around.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/trevor-gillmeister-has-challenged-the-titans-to-prove-their-laststart-capitulation-was-a-oneoff/story-e6frf3xc-1226861698573

DIEHARD
22-03-14, 12:38 PM
It’s all about the boys, says the new Ricky

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2014/03/21/1226861/707814-6fef10a2-b0a8-11e3-b1d0-0d819574758c.jpg

THOSE who know Ricky Stuart well suggest they have rarely seen him more ... well, we won’t say relaxed but certainly more comfortable with where he is both personally and professionally.

“As a coach, when you have been around long enough and been a part of some successful teams ... you know what it takes to get there. You know the hard work and the commitment required from every person at the joint to even have the chance of achieving what all 16 teams dream of at the start of the season,” Stuart says in typically rapid-fire manner.

The recently appointed Raiders head coach pauses, seemingly conscious of wanting to choose his next words carefully.

“I love this club and this place, it’s home. But I really don’t want to talk about myself. There are so many great stories in and around this club and the players we have.

“Ask me about the boys.”

And so talk turns to “the boys”.

He praised established squad members such as Terry Campese, Glenn Buttriss and Shaun Fensom for their loyalty and passion for the club and was even happy to talk up the influence of the club’s Queensland contingent, including Test forwards Josh Papalii and David Shillington, winger Edrick Lee and gun fullback Anthony Milford.

“He is a wonderful talent and a great young kid to boot,” Stuart said.

“He has natural instincts for the game very few guys possess and that can’t be taught or learnt. So with Anthony it is about helping him learn to see the bigger picture and what he can do to best help the team.

“The thing the great players all have (or had) is that ability to use their skill and to make the players around them better, something Anthony has shown he can do even at this early stage.

“I’m not worried about next season. We’re happy he’s here this year. I’m focused on this week and our first home game.”

It is Stuart’s first match on the Raiders’ side at what was Bruce Stadium (now GIO Stadium) since his somewhat acrimonious departure to join the Bulldogs in 1998.

And he has strong ties to visiting Gold Coast Titans head coach John Cartwright.

Cartwright and Stuart worked together at the Roosters, steering them to the 2002 premiership and were also at the helm when NSW last tasted Origin success in 2005.

In 2012, Stuart, who was in his second stint with the Blues, accepted an invitation to address the struggling Titans squad during a difficult rebuilding period and spent several sessions working with some of the Titans’ best young talent, offering priceless one-on-one coaching to a number of players he will oppose tonight.

In between times there was, of course, Stuart’s 12-month stint with Parramatta. The fallout from his decision to activate a get-out clause at the end of last season after being offered the chance to replace David Furner at the Raiders remains a sore point with Stuart.

He has vowed never to speak to some of the journalists over their coverage, but insists he no longer dwells on such “trivial crap”.

The desire to leave the past behind has been one of the messages Stuart has drilled into the 2014 Raiders squad - the majority of whom endured a brutal 2013 season that saw them vote out teammates Blake Ferguson and Josh Dugan prior to Furner being axed.

“We have all had some rough times but that is what hardens you and makes you appreciate the good times when they come,” Stuart said.

“These are lessons I learned as a player and they have been reinforced since I became a coach and hopefully I can help these boys here at Canberra get the same sort of experience from their careers as I got from mine.

“The only way that is going to happen though is if we put the building blocks in place. We need to put in the work and commit to each other as a team. We want to get the city behind us, supporting us because that support in towns like this - that changes teams.

“Hopefully the fans will turn out for our first home game and we can give them something to cheer about. That’s all I am asking. That’s what will make me happy.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/its-all-about-the-boys-says-the-new-ricky/story-fnca0von-1226861707868

DIEHARD
23-03-14, 02:51 AM
Broncos legend Shane Webcke tells Titans hulk Dave Taylor to ‘keep it simple’

BRONCOS great Shane Webcke, one of Dave Taylor’s first mentors, believes the Titans hulk is confused and has urged him to simplify his game.

Stung by last week’s 42-12 heavy home loss to the Tigers, the Titans face the Raiders today and Taylor shapes as a key weapon in stalling the Green Machine in Canberra.

At 121kg, Taylor’s hulking frame and ability to create second phase play on the fringes could cut apart a Raiders outfit already reeling from the loss of injured Maroons back-rower Josh Papalii.

After watching Taylor’s trials and tribulations over the last seven years, Webcke believes the former Test forward is being weighed down by excessive analysis of his game.

Matt Russell and Laurie Daley preview the round three clash between the Raiders and the Titans.

One of Queensland’s greatest props, Webcke was in his swansong season at the Broncos when Taylor made his NRL debut in 2006. Since then, Taylor has showed glimpses of brilliance without finding the consistency to become one of the NRL’s most damaging forwards.

Australian cricket chiefs realised Ashes hero Mitchell Johnson bowls best when he is given a simple message and Webcke believes the Titans should adopt a similar tactic with the Coal Train.

“People are rightly trying to help him, but from what I can see on the outside looking in, Dave Taylor is confused,’’ Webcke said.

“It must be remembered he’s a kid from the country, he’s an uncomplicated bloke so he doesn’t need complicated messages.

“I know Dave well enough, I’m pretty sure he’s getting too much advice and he should just forget focusing on being pretty with the ball.

“If he just keeps it simple, his gifts will come out naturally because they are there naturally.’’

Taylor admitted last week he needed to get fitter but Webcke believes the Rockhampton product would also benefit by being shifted into the engine room.

“Dave is a front-rower, his biggest strength is he’s a big fast agile bloke, just punch the ball into the line,” Webcke said.

“My advice to Dave is stop thinking about whether he is going to pass or play fancy, just strip it down, keep it simple and run hard.

“He’s overthinking things. He possesses some rare talents for a big man, he’s the complete package in many ways, but the simple things are the core things of a forward.

“If Dave does that, he’ll achieve his potential in the game.

“The Coast need to keep faith in him. In today’s league it’s about results, they are paying Dave good money and he is probably not giving it back to them at the moment but I hope the Titans persevere. He is ready to explode if he can just get his head right.’’

While quick-stepping Canberra sensation Anthony Milford is sure to test Taylor in defence, Titans forward Ashley Harrison also faces a daunting task at five-eighth.

Handed the No.6 jumper in the absence of the injured Aidan Sezer, Harrison is confident he can hold his own outside Albert Kelly.

“I had a couple of runs there last year and we got a couple of wins,” he said.

“We’ll just simplify it a lot with me at six.

“Hopefully we can run through our sets. If we can’t do that, we all saw what happened on the weekend.’’

http://www.foxsports.com.au

DIEHARD
23-03-14, 02:52 AM
Ricky Stuart urges Canberra Raiders to dial out for club culture

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has got his his current Canberra squad to phone dozens of ex-players as he looks to revive the club's culture and reconnect his team with the Green Machine's rich 33-year history.

Sixteen years after his own 203-game playing career at the Raiders ended controversially, Stuart will be back in the home dressing room at Canberra Stadium on Sunday for the first time as Raiders coach.

Stuart has deflected any questions about personal sentiment this week, declaring "it's not about me". It's a motto he's reinforced with his players too.

The Raiders boast some of the greatest players of the modern era, such as Mal Meninga, Brad Clyde, Glenn Lazarus, Laurie Daley, Gary Belcher and Stuart himself.

But Stuart wants no past player forgotten.

So Stuart has had his players hit the phone, dialling former Raiders such as: Gary Coyne, 159 games between 1986-92; David Boyle 117 games between 1991-98; Phil Carey, 89 games between 1985-81; or Mitch Brennan, 8 games between 1986-88.

"The genuine respect and passion for the club from our ex-players is as strong as any club I've been at,'' Stuart said. "We just have such a great passion and genuine love of the joint, which is something I'm trying to breed into the players of today.

"Before Christmas we got every player in our top 25 to ring one or two ex-players each. They rang, introduced themselves, talked about special moments the ex-player had, what he'd liked about the club and what he remembered most. We've shared those stories amongst each other and we'll be doing more of it.

"It's about our players getting a little bit of education on the club's history and culture, but also telling our ex-players that they still belong here. Any ex-player at any game of ours is welcome into the change-room at any time."

It was in the corresponding game of 2012, round three against the Sydney Roosters, that Stuart took his own important step towards reconnecting with the Raiders.

Cut by the club, along with another Raiders great Brad Clyde, because of salary cap pressure at the end of the 1998 season, a bitter Stuart hadn't stepped inside a Raiders change room for 14 years.

But he accepted an invitation by then-Raiders coach David Furner, who Stuart has since succeeded.

At the time, Stuart told The Canberra Times, ''I don't want to go back over old ground that disappointed me, but the manner in which Brad and I had to leave the club left a sour taste in my mouth for a number of years''.

Stuart wants more Raiders players welcomed back. Carey, presented Brett White's jersey to the prop before his 50th Raiders game in Newcastle last weekend. Former Raiders skipper Alan Tongue will present David Shillington's jersey to him on Sunday night for his 100th game with Canberra.

"It was like a family, it was my life,'' Carey said of the Raiders. "They had a great culture and so many players from so many regions ... some of the boys ended up being closer to me than my brothers."

"I think with Ricky coming back, he's going to try and introduce the culture and family environment we had before and also the belief. They've just got to believe in themselves, that's what I told the players last week."

Stuart's command in Canberra has started promisingly, the Raiders showing grit with one win from their two road games to start the season.

Sunday's match against the Gold Coast Titans will be Canberra's only home game of the first five rounds. But Stuart again dismissed any personal significance of returning home, after coaching stints with the Roosters, Cronulla Sharks and Parramatta Eels.

"It'll be a special feeling if we win. It's not about me," Stuart repeated.

"The boys have had two real tough road trips, I believe they've done a good job. I'm very comfortable with both performances, that's all I'm asking for again."

http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-league/

Skyfire
23-03-14, 05:33 AM
With so many upsets this weekend, perhaps we can also enjoy an upset...

Titanic
23-03-14, 11:26 AM
It's game day and all the hope resurfaces ... except who can forget what happened last week when Harrison got the 6 tackle option ... twice ... hardly confidence building ... Titans x 2.

teke
23-03-14, 01:03 PM
It's game day and all the hope resurfaces ... except who can forget what happened last week when Harrison got the 6 tackle option ... twice ... hardly confidence building ... Titans x 2.Go read the Raiders gameday thread, that will make u cheer hard for the Titans again.

They reckon they got us easy by 30/40 pts

Skyfire
23-03-14, 02:07 PM
It's game day and all the hope resurfaces ... except who can forget what happened last week when Harrison got the 6 tackle option ... twice ... hardly confidence building ... Titans x 2.

Wasn't that so inspiring.

Skyfire
23-03-14, 02:11 PM
Raiders look for strong home start
Date
March 22, 2014
Read later
Adrian Warren
Twitter
submit to redditEmail articlePrint

Canberra are intent on reinforcing a morale-boosting away win with a strong first NRL home performance of the season on Sunday against a Gold Coast side smarting from a record spanking on their own turf.

The Titans are coming off a 42-12 drubbing by Wests Tigers, their biggest-ever home loss, while Canberra fans get their first chance to have a close-up assessment of the Raiders under new coach Ricky Stuart.

Notoriously bad travellers in recent years Canberra rebounded from a first-up away loss to Cronulla by winning at Newcastle, where Anthony Milford cut the home team to pieces.

"For sure, we need to back that win up this week, be strong at home," Raiders prop Dane Tilse told AAP.

Advertisement
"We want to perform well here all year and the win last week doesn't mean anything if we don't build on it for this week.

"They are obviously coming off the back of a bad loss at home, so I'm sure the coach is going to have them revved up.

"They will definitely be putting in a lot better performance this week, so we're going to have to play to the best of our ability."

The Raiders have lost two key forwards,in Queensland and Test back rowers Josh Papalii (injured) and Shaun Fensom (suspended).

"It's probably going to be hard to replace both, they are quality players, but we feel we are going to do well there," Tilse said.

"We're starting with Paul Vaughan, who is a great runner of the football for us, so he will be good early.

"And we've also got a workhorse in Matt McIlwrick on the bench.

"He's a really strong defender and very fit."

On the plus side, Queensland and Test forward David Shillington will make his first appearance of the season and his 100th in total for Canberra, after recovering from an ankle problem.

"That's a massive bonus for us, a representative prop," Tilse said.

"He's really keen after missing the first two weeks, so he's chomping at the bit."

For the Titans, Brad Takairangi comes into the centres for Maurice Blair and Ashley Harrison will shift from the back row to five-eighth in the absence of regular No.6 Aidan Sezer (quad).

"We got it completely wrong on the weekend, we know that and we'll be looking to make amends this week," Harrison said.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/raiders-look-for-strong-home-start-20140322-359td.html

Skyfire
23-03-14, 02:12 PM
Gold Coast Titans deny playing ducks and drakes with Greg Bird

Greg Bird of the Titans screams in pain after injuring his shoulder against the Tigers.

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart is preparing for the Gold Coast Titans to play ducks and drakes with Greg Bird, tipping the NSW forward to switch to five-eighth for Sunday's NRL match at Canberra Stadium.

Former Raiders coach and now Titans assistant Neil Henry was adamant the Titans would start with Queensland Origin lock Ashley Harrison at five-eighth, after regular No.6 Aidan Sezer was forced to withdraw because of a quadriceps injury.

But Henry admitted the Titans would look at possible "rotations" in their pivot role, with former Raiders player and fullback William Zillman another man capable of slotting into the position.

Bird has had to overcome his own shoulder injury to play against the Raiders, but Stuart – who coached him at NSW – was preparing for a surprise switch.

Advertisement
"I actually think Bird will play five-eighth," Stuart said. "They've named Harrison, but it wouldn't surprise me if Bird plays five-eighth.

"He's a tough player Birdy. He's a player you always have to watch because he's a competitor."

Stuart expects that competitive drive to spark the Titans, who were humiliated 42-12 by the Wests Tigers last week, the club's biggest ever home defeat.

"They'll be ready to redeem themselves from last week and that's how we're preparing,'' Stuart said. "They've got half a dozen Origin players in their team, they won't let that performance of last week be repeated. We know we'll be in for a battle.''

Henry said the Titans had done some soul searching after a "poor" performance last week, but Bird would start in the pack.

"We've got a bit of rotation we can look at [at five-eighth] but Ashley Harrison will slot into that role, he's done it before at the back end of last year,'' Henry said. "He'll be in that position for most of the game."

The Raiders have their own issues, missing back-rowers Josh Papalii (ankle) and Shaun Fensom (suspension). Henry, who coached the Raiders from 2007-08, felt Canberra still had a well-balanced side, aware of the capabilities of replacements Paul Vaughan and Jarrad Kennedy. Henry said the Titans needed to dominate the forward battle.

"Having a couple of players out could worry them a little bit, we're hoping there's a strength in our forward pack with Nate Myles and Greg Bird in particular, then with our front-rowers Luke Bailey, Luke Douglas and Matthew White. Hopefully we can hold our own in midfield.

"We need to work better around our rucks because already Canberra have shown that if they get on a roll that they can be a real threat. [Anthony] Milford's been outstanding at the back, you've got to watch him all the time.

"We've got to try and limit the damage he can do. He's going to get you at some stage, he'll step through or make a break. We just need to limit those opportunities."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/canberra-raiders/gold-coast-titans-deny-playing-ducks-and-drakes-with-greg-bird-20140322-hvlnx.html#ixzz2wkv8qPd7

CoastSportsFan
23-03-14, 03:13 PM
Is Ryan James definitely going to play this game?

Hail Sezer
23-03-14, 04:06 PM
20s leading at halftime

lonegull
23-03-14, 04:15 PM
20s leading at halftime

Great news hopefully they can hang on and get a win, might be a catalyst for the first grade

lonegull
23-03-14, 04:16 PM
16 12 NYC are up at halftime

lonegull
23-03-14, 04:25 PM
20 16 down in the NYC, raiders two quick tries straight after halftime

DIEHARD
23-03-14, 04:29 PM
Jus trying to do a big update on my computer before kick off. Should be finished with plenty of time. Good to hear that our NYC are being competitive.

Hail Sezer
23-03-14, 05:05 PM
Got rolled in the end

DIEHARD
23-03-14, 05:29 PM
Just watching the teams warm up now. Doesn't look like a big crowd. But looks like a nice day for football.

DIEHARD
23-03-14, 05:33 PM
Wearing our away jersey for the third time in a row. Also commentator states that the Raiders have lost their last four home games.

DIEHARD
23-03-14, 05:36 PM
Was about to say we were off and racing. Until the ball fell off the tee. Let's go Titans.

DIEHARD
23-03-14, 05:38 PM
I tell you what. Raiders fans know how to milk a penalty. Quite amazing when you are at the stadium. Even in small numbers. We could learn a lot from them.

DIEHARD
23-03-14, 05:41 PM
The quick tap lives!

DIEHARD
23-03-14, 05:50 PM
14 mins in and no score. Neither side looks particularly threatening.

DIEHARD
23-03-14, 05:51 PM
Oh Falloon may have scored. With an impressive drive out of no where from dummy half.

TITAN PETE
23-03-14, 05:52 PM
Taylor has already had more hit ups & tackles in this match then last weeks match..

DIEHARD
23-03-14, 05:52 PM
Fantastic try. Ran over a couple of Raiders. Even managed to ground the ball despite being twisted. 6-0 to us.

gotitans101_
23-03-14, 05:53 PM
ffs Douglas, get that crap out of your game.

DIEHARD
23-03-14, 05:54 PM
Douglas coughs it up on the restart. Oh mercy.

gotitans101_
23-03-14, 05:55 PM
Try saver Alby.

DIEHARD
23-03-14, 05:55 PM
We just have up two successive penalties. Raiders are going to get another shot here.

TITAN PETE
23-03-14, 05:56 PM
Why is everybody standing back waiting for Milford to do something just smash the Cat with or without the ball

DIEHARD
Try saver Alby.

They nearly got there. We were fortunate to survive that onslaught.

DIEHARD
Why is everybody standing back waiting for Milford to do something just smash the Cat with or without the ball

Why does any player ever give a talented player room and space. Totally agree with your advice.

Titanic
The funniest comment so far has been that we look disjointed without Sezer. He obviously hasn't watched us play at all.

Titanic
23-03-14, 06:01 PM
Patheticly pathetic

DIEHARD
23-03-14, 06:01 PM
Croker scores off a kick. Great timing. I thought he was off side. 6-4 kick to come.

DIEHARD
23-03-14, 06:02 PM
Well we have at least one supporter there. Someone yelled out Go Titans.

Titanic
23-03-14, 06:08 PM
Well we have at least one supporter there. Someone yelled out Go Titans.
Mrs Cartwright (don't post, I know)

Titanic
23-03-14, 06:11 PM
Pathetically pathetic .. we have no hunger ... knock-on.

TITAN PETE
23-03-14, 06:12 PM
Yet another highball when no one leaves he ground to take a bomb

DIEHARD
23-03-14, 06:13 PM
Fair out come. No try to Croker but get a penalty. Titans need to hold then out again.

TITAN PETE
23-03-14, 06:14 PM
& yet another uncontested high ball

DIEHARD
23-03-14, 06:14 PM
Yet another highball when no one leaves he ground to take a bomb

Just happened again.

Boonarga
23-03-14, 06:15 PM
Decision aside, what the hell was Kelly doing? The ball hit him in the back!
Myles is a new man this week. Going great.

TITAN PETE
23-03-14, 06:19 PM
Has to break 57% of the ball & 4 back to back sets in the 20 , penalty count of 7-2

Titanic
23-03-14, 06:19 PM
Minichiello gives up the penalty and then we end up defending Kelly, Takairangi and Mead ... where was the right edge backrow? ... who just happened to be Minichiello ... hopeless.

Bayside Titan
23-03-14, 06:21 PM
Milford has spiders on him.

Bayside Titan
23-03-14, 06:22 PM
Sick of Taka not contesting the high ball.

Titanic
23-03-14, 06:23 PM
Cheergirls in mumblers ... excellent ... and for those too young to know what that means ... you can see the lips moving but can't hear a word they're saying.

Bayside Titan
This match looks like our to win. ........ Or loose

TITAN PETE
Myles must've been forced to watch his effort last week as he leads the halftime tackle count @ 34 :surprise:

Bayside Titan
23-03-14, 06:24 PM
Myles must've been forced to watch his effort last week as he leads the halftime tackle count @ 34 :surprise:
Also back playing where he should in the second row.

hatchy84
23-03-14, 06:28 PM
Doesn't matter how fast our backs are they don't get the ball

Coaster
23-03-14, 06:29 PM
Triple M tweeted "@TripleM_NRL: Overheard on ref comms. “Put one of our Centres in the bin. He can’t tackle” - @GCTitans Nate Myles to referee @Thebadge72. #nrlcangld

Titanic
23-03-14, 06:36 PM
Cheergirls in mumblers ... excellent ... and for those too young to know what that means ... you can see the lips moving but can't hear a word they're saying.

Skyfire
23-03-14, 06:37 PM
Triple M tweeted "@TripleM_NRL: Overheard on ref comms. “Put one of our Centres in the bin. He can’t tackle” - @GCTitans Nate Myles to referee @Thebadge72. #nrlcangld

LOL!

teke
23-03-14, 06:39 PM
How dare we ask for members to join the club

Titanic
23-03-14, 06:40 PM
That's our only play ... good on the young bloke.

Toads
23-03-14, 06:42 PM
Birdy passed the pill! :D

DavidBouveng
23-03-14, 06:43 PM
At my count we have a second rower at prop, one at centre, one at give eighth, one at hooker, one in the coach box, both captains are second rowers the goal kicker too.

'In second rowers we trust' - Carty

''and the second row shall inherit the earth' - Carty

DIEHARD
23-03-14, 06:44 PM
14-12 after a Carter try and Bird penalty goal.

Zillman is inured now?

TITAN PETE
23-03-14, 06:44 PM
Zillman up the tunnel , I hope Roberts has signed already

Titanic
23-03-14, 06:45 PM
Minichiello is freaking imbecile

DavidBouveng
Zillman off... Will it be bird or Taylor at fullback?

gotitans101_
Mini. FFS.

DIEHARD
Oh FFS Minichiello.

Coaster
At my count we have a second rower at prop, one at centre, one at give eighth, one at hooker, one in the coach box, both captains are second rowers the goal kicker too.

Hahah

DIEHARD
23-03-14, 06:46 PM
16 v 16 now.

DIEHARD
23-03-14, 06:46 PM
Mead at fullback.

Toads
23-03-14, 06:47 PM
Enjoy it while it's lasts, teke.

*Mead to Fullback*

Titanic
23-03-14, 06:47 PM
Minichiello is freaking imbecile
Doubly so

hatchy84
23-03-14, 06:50 PM
Good to see we pay DT so much to play half a game

Titanic
23-03-14, 06:51 PM

then the Lord made second rowers and he rested.

Skyfire
23-03-14, 06:53 PM
then the Lord made second rowers and he rested.

****ing LOL

gotitans101_
23-03-14, 06:54 PM
Jeez Carter's kicking game has been impressive tonight.

gotitans101_
23-03-14, 06:55 PM
and all undone by a dumb Douglas penalty. ffs this team is stupid.

DavidBouveng
23-03-14, 06:56 PM
We get a penalty 20 out with full momentum... Take the two..

get a a penalty and momentum is halted... Take the slow tap, have 4 hit ups then error...

six on the tryline should be plays of going one side then setting up to come back with another backline play. You can set up three good movements in one set but we just jerk each other off in the middle.

DavidBouveng
23-03-14, 06:58 PM
We are not an intelligent football team.

gotitans101_
23-03-14, 07:01 PM
We're gonna crack. Can't see us holding them out much longer.

gotitans101_
23-03-14, 07:02 PM
Mini again.

It's the same players giving away penalties every f****ing time.

Skyfire
23-03-14, 07:02 PM
Penalty Raiders, goin for try.

Hail Sezer
23-03-14, 07:03 PM
Mini is so bad. So, so so bad.

Bayside Titan
23-03-14, 07:03 PM
Somebody stop Taka running out of the line.

DIEHARD
23-03-14, 07:04 PM
Raiders may live to regret that!

gotitans101_
23-03-14, 07:05 PM
Has Mini done anything tonight other than gift the Raiders stupid penalties? I fail to see what else he brings to this team.

Bayside Titan
23-03-14, 07:06 PM
Oh FFs. Somebody stop the game.

Bayside Titan
23-03-14, 07:08 PM
God Ikin talks utter rubbish b

Skyfire
23-03-14, 07:12 PM
Raiders are gonna run out of time

Bayside Titan
23-03-14, 07:12 PM
Tighe playing well n

Boonarga
23-03-14, 07:13 PM
Tbh a top side would beat us, but where was this effort last week?

Bayside Titan
23-03-14, 07:13 PM
Cannthe refs please put the whistle in their bloody pockets.

Hail Sezer
23-03-14, 07:14 PM
Tighe has really stepped up. Taka shown commitment in defence too.

Mini needs to go to qcup

Skyfire
23-03-14, 07:15 PM
Kelly surfaces and scores.

Bayside Titan
Sick of everybody standing back waiting For Kelly to do something b

TITAN PETE
Who needs a Milford when u have a Kelly

rj62
23-03-14, 07:16 PM
Beating Canberra at home is good anytime. All things considered from last week, big turnaround. On ya alby!

DavidBouveng
23-03-14, 07:17 PM
Alby!!!!! His individual efforts have scored almost half off our seasons tries.

Next up is dummy half dive overs.

zero backline tries... But no more whinging.

Albertador saves the day!

DavidBouveng
23-03-14, 07:19 PM
Make that exactly half of our tries!!!

rj62
23-03-14, 07:19 PM
Albyyyyyyy

Toads
23-03-14, 07:21 PM
Tbh a top side would beat us, but where was this effort last week?

The way Parra played today, they would beat us..

lonegull
23-03-14, 07:22 PM
Great win, don't know what gilmeister done through the week but the defence was what won the game, great to get the points down in Canberra, a real team effort that one

teke
23-03-14, 07:24 PM
Good win in the end, I was very unhappy at half time and periodically unhappy everytime Mini got the ball but a win is a win

Titanic
23-03-14, 07:24 PM
I really liked our defence tonight and with the exception of Minichiello/Harrison who should be knocked out by Ridge/Sezer and with Zillman to be replaced by Mead at 1 and KFFL on the wing then we might actually look like a rugby league team.

Have I softened on the coach? No, I have not but will take the win.

Skyfire
23-03-14, 07:25 PM
Raiders got denied denied denied. Defence won it for sure.

teke
23-03-14, 07:25 PM
Everyone go read the Raiders forum and LOL@ the pregame chit chat

Smakked
23-03-14, 07:27 PM
A win is a win, Defence was better today, but still alot of work to do. Missed Sezer we looked clueless sin attack, Bird is a machine every run is like it is his last, bends the line everytime.

DavidBouveng
23-03-14, 07:27 PM
It wasn't defensive structure we still had holes, but the grit was back.

also, anyone notice we came back after The Zip left the field.

Smakked
23-03-14, 07:28 PM
Also Mini should not be in the side he sucks, plain and simple

DavidBouveng
23-03-14, 07:29 PM
I really liked our defence tonight and with the exception of Minichiello/Harrison who should be knocked out by Ridge/Sezer and with Zillman to be replaced by Mead at 1 and KFFL on the wing then we might actually look like a rugby league team.

Have I softened on the coach? No, I have not but will take the win.
I would like that team. Harro has a golden ticket though.

gotitans101_
23-03-14, 07:30 PM
With any luck Carty will drop Mini, it's happened before iirc.

DavidBouveng
23-03-14, 07:31 PM
Meady didn't do anything amazing, but our sets started with a little more punch when he was fb.

He was a definite improvement.

Skyfire
23-03-14, 07:31 PM
So many penalties, so many forward passes and offsides. The game was horrible as a spectacle.

teke
23-03-14, 07:32 PM
I would like that team. Harro has a golden ticket though.Harro inherited Hendo's infamous vid/pics of Carty

From now on Ashley shall be called Harrololololol

DavidBouveng
23-03-14, 07:34 PM
With his trusty sidekick zillololol

teke
23-03-14, 07:34 PM
Meady didn't do anything amazing, but our sets started with a little more punch when he was fb.

He was a definite improvement.I have never seen him so low on confidence in play ever, Zilly goes off he reversed his form and now will thrive - that is all it takes

Ausphin
23-03-14, 07:36 PM
Gutsy win tonight. Had nothing in attack (excluding alby) but dug deep in defence.

Only fair that i give mini some acknowledgement after i bagged him in a thread earlier this year. Still made some errors and dumb penalties, but as always tried his ring off and showed great hustle on the last play to force the error when alby scored.

Great to see taka back. What he lacks in speed, he makes up for in his defensive reads and ability to get an offload away. Also think Tighe played well too.

I think we have our lock of the future in Carter. Really smart, hard working footballer.

Skyfire
23-03-14, 07:37 PM
Mead for #1 next week.

TITAN PETE
23-03-14, 07:43 PM
Everyone go read the Raiders forum and LOL@ the pregame chit chat

Blaming the refs :laugh: , 15-8 penalty count their way...

They hate Campese probably the only thing they have right

DavidBouveng
23-03-14, 07:49 PM
yeah Mini made errors and gave away penalties, but so did everyone except bird and taylor. Like someone mentioned, he tries harder than most except maybe bird.

He shouldnt be in our best 17, but should be ahead of harro all day long.

Taka has some scary moments, but at when he rushed in you see him doing it for a reason, he sussed ut that if he didnt we were gonna be at least 3 on 2, so raced up and put on pressure, and if he missed the tackle, he chased like a madman. That hustle was in the whole team.

In attack we still only have alby cutting loose, and dummy half scoots to score tries though...this needs to be addressed.

K2G
23-03-14, 08:04 PM
That Myles is out of position when in the front row was made sooooo obvious tonight, yet I have no doubt he will be back there next week when sezer pushes harro back to lock.

I'm stoked at the prospect of seeing someone else get a run in the #1 for a few games. Next to our defence, that was the most pleasing thing about the game for me.

Titanic
23-03-14, 08:09 PM
With you on Takairangi and Tighe DB ... I think Tighe just needs a bit of confidence and Takairangi a bit of fitness. With Mead behind and some serious punch on the wing through KFFL. I don't doubt Minichiello's enthusiasm or courage but 3 penalties and 3 dropped balls a game is way too much.

teke
23-03-14, 08:09 PM
Saw what you will about Myles...his front on leg tackling is baaaadass

DavidBouveng
23-03-14, 08:18 PM
just read the raiders forum...702 posts of whingeing about us cheating, refs cheating and campo....cheating...well maybe not cheating but campo is not well liked it seems. i thought he was their bald hero.

If Carty or any players ever feel hard done by on hear...go visit some other forums and come back and see how nice we are by comparison :)

teke
23-03-14, 08:20 PM
just read the raiders forum...702 posts of whingeing about us cheating, refs cheating and campo....cheating...well maybe not cheating but campo is not well liked it seems. i thought he was their bald hero.

If Carty or any players ever feel hard done by on hear...go visit some other forums and come back and see how nice we are by comparison :)Yeah man we are nice compared to other forums.

I've been reading that Raiders forum the whole week and they got me excited for the match by saying they will win by 80 nil, 40 nil etc etc

Mexican titan
23-03-14, 08:25 PM
With you Takairangi and Tighe DB ... I think Tighe just needs a bit of confidence and Takairangi a bit of fitness. With Mead behind and some serious punch on the wing through KFFL. I don't doubt Minichiello's enthusiasm or courage but 3 penalties and 3 dropped balls a game is way too much.

Agree. Although I couldn't watch the game as closely as usual in the first half the second half defence was terrific. The side seemed much better balanced and with Sezer back I hope they can build on that. I know it was nothing flash but after last weeks disgrace we had to take it back to basics and build again from there.

K2G
23-03-14, 08:29 PM
Yeah Myles was going in low and hard, chopping them down. Outstanding.How can anyone not see he plays his best footy at lock/second row?! Given the rare chance to play there tonight, I wouldn't be surprised if his extra effort was to prove that point as much as for last w.e. With Baily, White, James, Douglas and Ioane, I can't even see the point of playing him up front. James and White make such a difference to our team.

Mini was shocking tonight. I hope Carter takes his spot when Srama is fit.

DavidBouveng
23-03-14, 08:37 PM
And surely everyone one noticed how much more involved taylor was. in defense he was aggressive, taking alot of hit ups.

If only we had some structure to draw defenders off of him, he would be more like T rex at manly 2011 than t rex at bulldogs 2013 onwards.

does that mean Taylor right edge, Bird left edge and Myles lock? James, Douglas starting props, with Carter, White, Ridge, and Bailey as our best pack?

Titanic
23-03-14, 08:37 PM
The Forum has begged for Myles to play his natural position and I totally concur k2g. White was again very solid but Bailey must be on wood if he takes another quick tap.

DavidBouveng
23-03-14, 08:50 PM
travis meyn tweets that Zillman facing long time out with hamstring tear... Meady back KFFL in is getting closer

teke
23-03-14, 08:57 PM
Carter reminds me of a young Watmough

Nick
23-03-14, 08:59 PM
Carter was very impressive, a young Watmough with a very good kicking game. This kid has a massive future in front of him.

K2G
23-03-14, 09:05 PM
I feel like Taylor is building for a big year. He was so strong. Coaches have obviously stripped his game right down and limited his minutes to put an emphasis on quality & consistency. I don't think we'll see his best till late in the year. Hopefully not too late. Liked what I saw tonight though.

Mexican titan
23-03-14, 09:17 PM
Carter reminds me of a young Watmough

He hasn't had a leak against a shop window on Manly Corso yet so he has a way to go.

Tamwelg
23-03-14, 09:24 PM
Round 3 moejoe award ope. Sorry, was a bit later getting the final team entered.

http://www.leagueoftitans.com.au/poty.php

Supergoose
23-03-14, 09:34 PM
Back on our feet after being humiliated last week. Taka was a massive in for us and Harrison was decent after he messed a couple of passes up early. Bird and Myles were tremendous and the front row rotation were decent especially Paul Carter. Taylor was involved and there were signs of life from the back 3 especially when Mead went to fullback and Tighe to the wing. The only blemish was our ill-discipline lead by Minichiello. There is surely no case for Mini to be retained now. Douglas did some good things but he also made some Miichiello like errors including giving away dumb penalties. We were lucky that the Raiders were dumber than us.

DavidBouveng
23-03-14, 09:35 PM
I feel like Taylor is building for a big year. He was so strong. Coaches have obviously stripped his game right down and limited his minutes to put an emphasis on quality & consistency. I don't think we'll see his best till late in the year. Hopefully not too late. Liked what I saw tonight though.
I agree.

he is busting guts more than any forward apart from bird. He in reasonable shape, but no one quite knew how much faster this year would be. So while he is fitter than previous years, the goal posts have shifts a bit and he's got further to go.

he will win us some games later on u think.

TITAN PETE
23-03-14, 10:05 PM
Late Albert Kelly tries seal surprise victory for gritty Gold Coast Titans over Canberra Raiders
EMMA GREENWOOD GOLD COAST BULLETIN MARCH 23, 2014

The Raiders and Titans play out another close match, with the Gold Coast just edging out Canberra in the second half.

CAPTAIN Nate Myles says the Titans have set a benchmark for the season with a gutsy 24-12 road win against the Raiders.

Gold Coast scored 18 unanswered points in the second half to hang on for what seemed an unlikely win after heading to the sheds at half time trailing by a converted try.

Smarting after an insipid showing at home against the Wests Tigers, the Titans showed the desperation and workrate that was missing a week ago to hold off the Raiders.

Myles led by example, making a game-high 53 tackles as the Titans held on for one of the most satisfying road victories in club history.

“I just think that our team as a whole just needed to lift,’’ Myles said.

“I felt that during the week and that’s the mark where we have to be at individually (from now on).

“Tonight we showed we have that in us and it’s a step in the right direction.

“I think tonight a lot of blokes were at their best for the season so far.’’

After a lacklustre start — they conceded a penalty in the first set of the game, then were forced to take a line dropout and lost the ball two of the first three times they had possession — the Titans scored first when Beau Falloon dived over from dummy-half.

But their scrambling defence could not hold out forever.

The Raiders equalised after converting Jarrod Croker’s try and when Anthony Milford used his speed to run around some tired defence on the right edge just before half-time, the Titans were down by six heading into the break.

There were no dropped heads at half-time though, with coach John Cartwright confident his side could rebound if they hung on to the ball.

“There was a lot of possession with the Raiders in the first half and they completed really well and played really well,’’ Cartwright said.

“It was going to be one of those (dour) games.

“Half-time was good. Once they stood up out of those chairs, I was pretty confident they’d go out and give us the same effort in the second half.’’

It came without fullback William Zillman though, with the fullback limping off with the hamstring injury early in the second half forcing a backline reshuffle.

But within five minutes they’d taken the lead after Paul Carter dived over from dummy-half to score and Greg Bird capitalised on a rare penalty — the count ended up 15-8 to the Raiders — to give the Titans a 14-12 lead.

It stayed that way until the final moments of the game when Albert Kelly scored twice to seal a memorable win.

“It’s that hard to get a win at the moment, you rate them all,’’ Cartwright said.

“But it was really, really pleasing.

“The amount of times they got piggyback penalties late in the tackle count, that’s the real test of your team, how they respond to that.

“They were throwing a lot of footy at us but we just kept turning up and stopping them.’’

GOLD COAST 24 (A Kelly 2 P Carter B Falloon tries G Bird 4 goals) bt CANBERRA 12 (J Croker A Milford tries J Croker 2 goals) at GIO Stadium. Referee: Gavin Badger, Brett Suttor. Crowd: 9,636.

TITAN PETE
24-03-14, 03:32 AM
Heroic Titans overhaul Canberra
By Adrian Warren
AAP
8:40pm Sun 23rd March, 2014

Gold Coast earned redemption after a horrid week and set their defensive marker for the rest of the NRL season with a heroic 24-12 away win over Canberra on Sunday.

The Titans scored 18 unanswered second half points to turn around a 12-6 halftime deficit and record a second win in three games.

On the wrong end of a 15-8 penalty count, they resisted several Raiders attacks in the last quarter.

Two opportunistic tries in the last five minutes to halfback Albert Kelly, who has scored four in three games, sealed the hard-earned win.

It was a massive contrast to last week when they shipped 42 points at home to Wests Tigers.

"I think the only way was up from last week," said Titans co-captain Nate Myles, who tallied over 50 tackles.

"The week was a bit of a tough one to show up and show your face, our effort wasn't there.

"Tonight we showed that we have that in us and that's a step in the right direction."

Titans coach John Cartwright also felt his team had set a benchmark for the remainder of the season.

"We spent plenty of time resting and recovering and getting over what we had to go through last week," Cartwright said.

"They turned up mentally right today and were in the right frame of mind.

"That's our challenge now. To set a mark in the sand and say that's what we're going to accept."

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart said his team lost its way in attack and needed to be more patient and constructive.

"We knew they were going to be desperate and we prepared for that all week," Stuart said.

"They've got half a dozen or so Origin players, so they know how to win tough battles."

"That was a game that could have went either way, but they hung in there longer."

The Titans struck first, with hooker Beau Falloon burrowing over from dummy half in the 16th minute.

Canberra responded eight minutes later, when centre Jarred Croker notched his fourth try of the season, after he pounced on a perfectly weighted kick from hooker Glen Buttriss.

In-form fullback Anthony Milford turned on the pace and slashed through to score the home team's second try, giving them their halftime advantage.

The Titans hit the front with eight points in the first six minutes of the second half, with Paul Carter crashing over from dummy half and Greg Bird converting and kicking a penalty.

The Raiders lost winger Edrick Lee with foot injury, while Titans fullback William Zillman also failed to go the distance because of a hamstring issue.

titanfan1980
24-03-14, 07:30 AM
Few things, so happy we got the win.. But I'm still very concerned that the try's we are scoring aren't with good shape there just dummy half barge overs and a few bits of Albert brilliance. Our sets are still a lot of 1 out runs and that's also worrying. And it's funny when zillman went off mead played a lot better.. Next week hopefully drop bailey to bench promote James leave Nate in the back row, leave mead at fullback and
Just give a winger ago either don or kffl.

ozynorts
24-03-14, 08:00 AM
Good to see the boys tough out a win. The attack was horrible again and we had to rely on Alby pulling out an individual play to get the win. The better teams won't allow that to happen. Taka was good especially in defence. Myles moving to the back row and he plays his best game in 2 years. 50 plus tackles and his hitups for the most part actually had energy in them. He has to stay there. Bird was outstanding again.
All up it was a much improved defensive effort this week.

ozynorts
24-03-14, 08:03 AM
Round 3 moejoe award ope. Sorry, was a bit later getting the final team entered.

http://www.leagueoftitans.com.au/poty.php

Wanted to give all 6 points to Zillman for getting injured... :eyebrows:

karnage
24-03-14, 09:11 AM
Nate Myles had a great game in defence and in position (!!!) but I hope the comments attributed to him at the bottom of this article are not true:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/canberra-raiders/what-we-learned-canberra-raiders-v-gold-coast-titans-20140323-hvltq.html

TITAN PETE
24-03-14, 09:26 AM
Nate Myles had a great game in defence and in position (!!!) but I hope the comments attributed to him at the bottom of this article are not true:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/canberra-raiders/what-we-learned-canberra-raiders-v-gold-coast-titans-20140323-hvltq.html

I heard that lastnight & i'm guessing he's talking about Taka because of him running out of the line but i was happy to see him back in the team

Smakked
24-03-14, 10:01 AM
Some stats from the game
16. Mark Minichiello Interchange
Minutes- 58
Receives -8
Run Meters (46m)
Errors 2
Penalties conceded 3

he did make 32 tackles tho, but still ....

http://live.nrlstats.com/matches/nrl/match32597.html

Zillman has poor stats aswell even tho he only played half a game

toddythetitan
24-03-14, 11:28 AM
Myles forehead probably made half his tackles for him lol but he was much improved this week

teke
24-03-14, 12:28 PM
Had a few mates tell me strive michaels played a great game on the weekend.

Be scared

TITAN PETE
24-03-14, 12:46 PM
Had a few mates tell me strive michaels played a great game on the weekend.

Be scared

I was there mate & he did play well but Big Kahn played better , was told today that Blair & Ridge had great games for Tweed too.

Titanic
24-03-14, 02:11 PM
surprising what a kick up the djin will do.

Supergoose
24-03-14, 10:08 PM
I'm guessing Kahn would be part of a second year salary cap if we used him. I didn't see much of the game but what I did see he looks a goer. Will definitely be an interesting team list Tuesday. What are the chances Cartwright will go Mead, Gordon, Taka, Blair, Tighe? I'm kind of hoping KFFL comes in but I'm thinking this is the way Carty will go.

Titanic
25-03-14, 10:40 AM
i can't look

karnage
25-03-14, 11:51 AM
We have all been very, very critical of Carty's mind boggling selection decisions down through the years but it is worth considering this from Sunday evenings game:

When winger Edrick Lee went off hurt Stuart decided to move backrower Jarrod Croker to the wing and Jarrad Kennedy to the centres when he could easily have played 2013 five-eighth Josh McCrone to five-eighth and 2013 winger Jack Wighton to the wing.

We all know that Carty is a Stuart protege - but this is such a Carty move that I can only shake my head and wonder...

DIEHARD
25-03-14, 01:40 PM
Well Cartwright's resume was as Stuart's 2IC before the Titans....