PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV

DIEHARD
24-02-14, 06:37 AM
A thread for movie trailers and reviews

DIEHARD
24-02-14, 06:37 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fZ_JOBCLF-I?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I saw this on Friday and LOVED IT!

DIEHARD
24-02-14, 07:18 AM
300 sequel on the way, in March and in 3D.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2zqy21Z29ps?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2WrAw2-R_20?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DavidBouveng
24-02-14, 10:17 AM
I saw the LEGO trailer and thought it seemed so fresh and really witty / clever.

then saw it doesnt come out for ages over here.

I watched Gravity over the weekend. was very very good. one of those films where you dont realise your hands are gripping the chair and ur butthole is puckered up for an hour straight

DavidBouveng
24-02-14, 10:19 AM
i have a list of movies to watch over my week of holidays before gym.

Today is Rush,then i have Thor 2, Hunger Games 2, Mud, Hobbit 2, and second season of ninja turtles.... what a sick week.

i have some others too, but they arent as well known.

i love me some good movies

DIEHARD
24-02-14, 10:20 AM
Hahaha wow I really need to see Gravity. Perhaps Ive blown it and should have seen it in 3D and all that.

With LEGO with me, I saw the trailer and thought it was funny with the 80s spaceman and Michelangelo. But the quality of the movie hit me in the face. Unexpected. Michelangelo was sadly in no real further scenes but 80s spaceman doesnt disappoint.

DIEHARD
24-02-14, 10:20 AM
i have a list of movies to watch over my week of holidays before gym.

Today is Rush,then i have Thor 2, Hunger Games 2, Mud, Hobbit 2, and second season of ninja turtles.... what a sick week.

i have some others too, but they arent as well known.

i love me some good movies

Hunger Games 2, still haven't seen that either!

DIEHARD
24-02-14, 10:23 AM
I saw the LEGO trailer and thought it seemed so fresh and really witty / clever.

then saw it doesnt come out for ages over here

http://thelegomovie.warnerbros.com/releasedates/

According to this Australia doesn't exist! :fist:

DIEHARD
24-02-14, 10:26 AM
Sweet Gravity is still showing here. Possibly cause of the Oscars coming.

DavidBouveng
24-02-14, 11:29 AM
yeah it is very good.

and whereas the other top movies this year are a bit of a struggle to get through, Dallas buyers club and 12 years a slave...this is a entertainment movie. get your popcorn and hold on.

TITAN PETE
24-02-14, 04:59 PM
yeah it is very good.

and whereas the other top movies this year are a bit of a struggle to get through, Dallas buyers club and 12 years a slave...this is a entertainment movie. get your popcorn and hold on.

Mate i think you are a hard judge Gravity isn't close to being in the same League as 12 Years a Slave or Dallas Buyers Club add Wolf of Wall Street,the Hobbit 2, American Hustle or Life of a King, Gravity is a good movie but a little over rated for me (my opinion), !2 Years a Slave & Life of a King are the best mine :D

DIEHARD
24-02-14, 05:47 PM
Speaking of overrated.... American Hustle!

DavidBouveng
24-02-14, 06:45 PM
Mate i think you are a hard judge Gravity isn't close to being in the same League as 12 Years a Slave or Dallas Buyers Club add Wolf of Wall Street,the Hobbit 2, American Hustle or Life of a King, Gravity is a good movie but a little over rated for me (my opinion), !2 Years a Slave & Life of a King are the best mine :D

Didnt say it was in same league, but it is considered a top movie for the year, and is a bit more of a thrill ride than the others i mentioned, which are very rewarding but can be a slog. yeah sorry i just read my post again. i didnt mean struggle as in i wanted to not watch it. i meant it as in its hard viewing and pretty harsh at times.

I would put Gravity behind them and Hustle, but above Wolf of Wall Street and Hobbit 2.

I say that as a staunch Hobbit and LOTR fan who reads the books once a year or so, and Leo is probably my favourite actor.

Havent seen Life of a King as yet.

TITAN PETE
24-02-14, 08:50 PM
Didnt say it was in same league, but it is considered a top movie for the year, and is a bit more of a thrill ride than the others i mentioned, which are very rewarding but can be a slog. yeah sorry i just read my post again. i didnt mean struggle as in i wanted to not watch it. i meant it as in its hard viewing and pretty harsh at times.

I would put Gravity behind them and Hustle, but above Wolf of Wall Street and Hobbit 2.

I say that as a staunch Hobbit and LOTR fan who reads the books once a year or so, and Leo is probably my favourite actor.

Havent seen Life of a King as yet.

Well worth watching & probably Cubas best for me, I'm a LOTR freak & rate the latest Hobbit no5 on list but still loved it :D

Watched Wolf Creek 2 yesterday if u have seen the previous u know what to expect a little slower than the 1st but kicks in later in the movie, people from other countries especially Poms & Germans will hate Aussies :laugh:

Titanic
25-02-14, 05:40 PM
Loved Gravity in 3D because I had no idea what it was about until I lay down in the VIP cinema and ... wow! Liked Hobbit 2, didn't mind Thor 2 but my favorite recently was The Butler (I know I'm slow). Working my through Boardwalk Empire S3 at the moment.

shamus
25-02-14, 05:46 PM
I still can't get past To Sir With Love.

GCT_89
25-02-14, 07:28 PM
!2 Years a Slave & Life of a King are the best mine :D

12 years a slave was great

Life of a King was good too but i was pretty sure I've seen every scene before in Sister Act??

Toads
25-02-14, 07:56 PM

Indeed a great movie there, shamus. :)

Apocalypse Now (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkrhkUeDCdQ) would probably my all time favourite. ;)

Titanic
25-02-14, 08:11 PM
Blow me ... watched it just the other day and my wife nearly asphyxiated laughing (Chinese have a strange sense of humour) ... and Lulu was such a cow. So now Shamus you will have to admit to watching Jesus Christ: Superstar and Hair and dressing shamelessly up to go to re-runs of Rocky Horror.

Loved Gravity in 3D because I had no idea what it was about until I lay down in the VIP cinema and ... wow! Liked Hobbit 2, didn't mind Thor 2 but my favorite recently was The Butler (I know I'm slow). Working my through Boardwalk Empire S3 at the moment.

My favourite movie Toads is also Apocalypse Now closely followed by The Naked Gun and have a soft spot for Warriors and Eddie & The Cruisers ... pathetic, I know.

Must admit though, I rarely go to the cinema since the advent of torrents :)

DavidBouveng
25-02-14, 11:06 PM
Watched Rush and Hunger Games 2 today.

HG2 was good....RUSH was awesome. i vaguely recall the end of Laudas career as a 5 year old getting up with my old man, but had no concept of James Hunt.

So it was good that i had no idea how it turned out, but a great film, might watch it again this week i think.

TITAN PETE
25-02-14, 11:17 PM
Must admit though, I rarely go to the cinema since the advent of torrents :)

The only movies I haven't watched via the T in the last few years are Hobbits because it's a must see on the big screen & Wolf Creek 2 because Aussie movies are hard to get when the movies are so new

DIEHARD
26-02-14, 07:53 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vIu85WQTPRc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DIEHARD
05-03-14, 05:51 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zG3rXfHKpZs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DIEHARD
05-03-14, 05:53 PM
I got my hopes up when I saw Optimus as a Generation 1 truck. They had better not ruin Grimlock (Dinobot)

Interested to see how much of Hong Kong is featured.

TITAN PETE
05-03-14, 06:59 PM
I love Transformers & this one may be the best yet with Walberg involved

DIEHARD
05-03-14, 08:55 PM
Better than that other gimp. Walberg rules.

DIEHARD
12-03-14, 08:29 PM
I'm gonna go see 300 now.

DIEHARD
13-03-14, 07:08 PM
Well I got what I paid for. Loved it, Ill definitely get it on DVD

DIEHARD
23-03-14, 04:02 AM
Finally saw Gravity in the cinema, in 3d. Glad I did. Loved it. Thought it was great.

DIEHARD
28-03-14, 02:33 PM
Im gonna probably see the Taiwanese baseball movie KANO today.

Toads
28-03-14, 10:42 PM
Finally got around to seeing Gladiator today. It only took 13-14 years..

Makes me wonder whether Princey's little ritual that he used to do at the beginning of a game on the left hand side half way line. Was actually derived from the movie or not. In the movie Maximus rubs dirt within his hands before going into each battle/fight..

DIEHARD
29-03-14, 07:12 PM
Finally got around to seeing Gladiator today. It only took 13-14 years..

Makes me wonder whether Princey's little ritual that he used to do at the beginning of a game on the left hand side half way line. Was actually derived from the movie or not. In the movie Maximus rubs dirt within his hands before going into each battle/fight..

True, I dunno. Could be!

But it took you that long to see it?! What else havent you seen?

KANO was good, Im a baseball fan but it did run a whopping THREE HOURS!!

Toads
30-03-14, 09:57 AM
Hmm.. I'll check it out, Brad.

Last week I also seen King Kong, the 1976 version for the first time as well. That only took me 38 years to get around to it. :p

DIEHARD
30-03-14, 04:21 PM
Hmm.. I'll check it out, Brad.

Last week I also seen King Kong, the 1976 version for the first time as well. That only took me 38 years to get around to it. :p

KANO probably isnt for non baseball lovers, there is alot of baseball action.

Headed to the cinema tonight, not sure what to see.

Chaserz
02-04-14, 07:44 AM
38 years?! Not bad eh!

For some reason, I just cannot sit still while watching a movie... I usually have the urge to do something... maybe I just have a lack of focus it seems. Mmmkay, 90 minutes maximum, but that's about it.

So Diehard, what did you see? ;)

DIEHARD
02-04-14, 04:15 PM
Ended up not going cause of really bad storms here in HK.

Ended up watching Hunger Games: Catching Fire and thought it sucked big time. I thought it was very uneven and poorly executed.

I also can't stand Jennifer Lawrence's acting.

DIEHARD
11-06-14, 06:23 PM
Going to the movies tonight, hoping to see this tonight.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fLe_qO4AE-M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TITAN PETE
11-06-14, 07:55 PM
Watched it mate wasn't bad but wouldn't watch it twice

DavidBouveng
12-06-14, 06:38 PM
im taking the little one to see 'how to train your dragon 2' tomorrow.

i really loved the first one.

DIEHARD
12-06-14, 07:18 PM
im taking the little one to see 'how to train your dragon 2' tomorrow.

i really loved the first one.

The first one was fantastic. I hope this one lives up to it.

I didnt see Edge of Tomorrow, there was a 5pm session and a 10pm session lol. Saw the new XMEN instead, it was pretty good.

DIEHARD
12-06-14, 07:19 PM
BEHOLD...... THE GLORY....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mq1rt4iKuYg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DavidBouveng
12-06-14, 07:37 PM
The first one was fantastic. I hope this one lives up to it.

I didnt see Edge of Tomorrow, there was a 5pm session and a 10pm session lol. Saw the new XMEN instead, it was pretty good.

Ive heard it is just as good, same type of charm as the first.

i need to see the XMen at some point too.

DIEHARD
12-06-14, 07:50 PM
I actually when to the How To Dragon Your Dragon stage show when it came to Brisbane, they had giant robotic dragons!

DIEHARD
15-08-14, 11:33 PM
Never see a movie called LUCY. Never.

DIEHARD
30-03-18, 05:44 PM
Going to see Ready Player One today.

Also I recently saw 1987, which is about the democratic movement and protests that won South Korea it's freedom and first elected presidential elections. Very well done.

JunctionBlock
30-03-18, 08:59 PM
Going to see Ready Player One today.

Also I recently saw 1987, which is about the democratic movement and protests that won South Korea it's freedom and first elected presidential elections. Very well done.

Want to see that. Maybe tomorrow.

DIEHARD
31-03-18, 02:56 AM
It really is a pretty insane movie with heaps of pop culture references. It's fun. But I just get the feeling that Speilberg wouldnt have had much of a clue what was going on. ;)

DIEHARD
14-04-18, 01:27 PM
I saw Pacific Rim too. Pretty light on plot. But a fun movie. Get to see a bit of "Sydney", plays a major role.

JunctionBlock
14-04-18, 07:37 PM
I saw Pacific Rim too. Pretty light on plot. But a fun movie. Get to see a bit of "Sydney", plays a major role.

Took the kids to Ready player one. Really enjoyed it. Wife didn't want to go. Want to see A Quiet Place. Not a fan of the Pacific Rim franchise.

Mr Bods
17-04-18, 09:19 PM
Watched “A Dog’s Purpose” on Foxtel. It made me cry like a baby for near on 2 hours.

DIEHARD
17-04-18, 09:28 PM
Watched “A Dog’s Purpose” on Foxtel. It made me cry like a baby for near on 2 hours.

Without mentioning spoilers (I havent seen it) I usually find that the dog dies in these movies so I avoid them.

Mr Bods
17-04-18, 09:31 PM
^^^ I’m not doing any Spoilers so I won’t be commenting further BUT I didn’t say I cried at the end I said I cried for near on two hours (massive exaggeration)

DIEHARD
17-04-18, 11:57 PM
Not sure if I can hack it. I'm a soft touch.

JunctionBlock
26-04-18, 09:25 AM
Went a watched Infinity Wars last night. Wow, does not disappoint for any Marvel fans out there.

Mr Bods
06-05-18, 05:35 PM
Saw Breath today. Early on I thought it was just a Surf Movie but by the end the story and cinematography made me really absorbed in it and I was glad I saw it. Not sure I’d want a kid or teenager to see it though. It has a few challenges in its story.

DIEHARD
06-05-18, 05:38 PM
Oh yea I did Infinity War too. Was insanely crowded. But that always creates a good energy. The guy beside me was such a fanboy. Really enjoyed himself.

I actually was pretty stupid and didn't realise it would be a cliff hanger.

Deadpool 2 is out next week. Surprised Marvel are rolling it out so soon.

JunctionBlock
06-05-18, 07:45 PM
Oh yea I did Infinity War too. Was insanely crowded. But that always creates a good energy. The guy beside me was such a fanboy. Really enjoyed himself.

I actually was pretty stupid and didn't realise it would be a cliff hanger.

Deadpool 2 is out next week. Surprised Marvel are rolling it out so soon.

I've gone back and seen Infinity wars twice now.

Marvel studios (Disney) owns the rights to Avengers and most the other Marvel world. 20th century fox (now also owned by Disney) owns the likes of Deadpool and X-men. So different studios is the reason for the two close release dates. I think it will affect Deadpools bottom line, still booked to see it though.

What did you think of Infinity Wars anyway?

Sonny-Skill
31-05-18, 09:51 AM
Kingsman 2 - awesome movie. 8/10.

DIEHARD
09-06-18, 09:39 PM
I saw Solo and thought it was pretty good.

I thought Alden Ehrenreich was great as Han and especially towards the end. Not sure what parts of the movie the former co-directors were responsibly for but I would be interested to know. Donald Glover was a stand out.

JunctionBlock
10-06-18, 03:57 PM
I saw Solo and thought it was pretty good.

I thought Alden Ehrenreich was great as Han and especially towards the end. Not sure what parts of the movie the former co-directors were responsibly for but I would be interested to know. Donald Glover was a stand out.

Agreed, not sure what people were expecting. Explains a lot about who Han is in the Star Wars series (Han shot first etc). Hopefully Lando gets his own series somehow.

DIEHARD
10-06-18, 04:46 PM
Agreed, not sure what people were expecting. Explains a lot about who Han is in the Star Wars series (Han shot first etc). Hopefully Lando gets his own series somehow.

Oh yea I liked how he shot first, which undoes some of the tampering Lucas did with the remastered originals in the 90s.

I think it covered over many of the big events for Han. Even the Han v Harn came into it. But it wasn't too much.

And Chewie was in fine form.

Spoiler in white below.

One thing they could have done was spend more time on Han as an Imperial Navy pilot, they skirted over it. I always imagined Han witnessing some terrible atrocities and him slowing coming to the decision that he needs to do something about it. And that the cost and risk of this decision would be massive. But that is just based on my expectations for years.

JunctionBlock
11-06-18, 06:22 AM
Oh yea I liked how he shot first, which undoes some of the tampering Lucas did with the remastered originals in the 90s.

I think it covered over many of the big events for Han. Even the Han v Harn came into it. But it wasn't too much.

And Chewie was in fine form.

Spoiler in white below.

One thing they could have done was spend more time on Han as an Imperial Navy pilot, they skirted over it. I always imagined Han witnessing some terrible atrocities and him slowing coming to the decision that he needs to do something about it. And that the cost and risk of this decision would be massive. But that is just based on my expectations for years.

Refer below for Secret Squirrel message....

Totally agree. The mud troopers scenes looked awesome. I walked away thinking I'd love to see a movie from an imperial soldiers point of view. Like a Clint eastwood directed Letter from Iwo Jima or all quiet on the western front. Could be epic and give a totally different perspective.

DIEHARD
11-06-18, 08:50 PM
Refer below for Secret Squirrel message....

Totally agree. The mud troopers scenes looked awesome. I walked away thinking I'd love to see a movie from an imperial soldiers point of view. Like a Clint eastwood directed Letter from Iwo Jima or all quiet on the western front. Could be epic and give a totally different perspective.

Spoilers below in white.

I felt the same away. And just when I was getting set for that idea, the Imperials we really interact with turn out to be mercenaries anyway. One vivid scene was the AT-ST jumping around.

DIEHARD
16-06-18, 06:02 PM
Saw Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Yes I see a lot of movies. :laugh:

I thought it was good also at least 4-5 times I thought to myself, the director did something clever.

Good fun.

JunctionBlock
16-06-18, 07:28 PM
It's not out here till Wednesday.

DIEHARD
17-06-18, 02:57 AM
It's not out here till Wednesday.

I saw it in 4D, so that means seats that move on a platform in groups of four. Slowly but also fast and rough.

They also change the lighting in the cinema. They actually spray you with water, which if you remember Jurassic Park, there is a fair bit of water and wind. They do wind too, and also compressed air shots. The seats have these internal devices that can hit you too.

Throw in 3D and it was actually the ideal movie for the situation.

Toads
17-06-18, 09:27 AM
lol Sounds like it crazy experience. :D

JunctionBlock
17-06-18, 02:45 PM
That sounds crazy. Movie world could try and get the rights to movies like that and sell tickets for their 4D theatre.

DIEHARD
17-06-18, 02:51 PM
It's also actually really well integrated into the movie. Almost seamless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMtEAYmugZc

DIEHARD
29-06-19, 01:52 PM
Saw Spider-Man Far from Home today. It's good to change the pace of Marvel films to focus on one character. Recommend seeing it in 3D and IMAX. Also some cool consequences in the aftermath of End game and the 5 year jump.

JunctionBlock
29-06-19, 07:24 PM
Saw Spider-Man Far from Home today. It's good to change the pace of Marvel films to focus on one character. Recommend seeing it in 3D and IMAX. Also some cool consequences in the aftermath of End game and the 5 year jump.

Not out till Monday here. In time for public school holidays. Can't wait.

Go see Toy Story 4. Forkie could be the Titans mascot.... "Trash"

DIEHARD
29-06-19, 08:10 PM
Not out till Monday here. In time for public school holidays. Can't wait.

Go see Toy Story 4. Forkie could be the Titans mascot.... "Trash"

Haha haven't seen TS4 yet, but got my photo taken with the giant Woody statue this morning. I better use of my time than viewing the Titans carnage.

DIEHARD
22-01-20, 02:19 PM
I got sick of trying to find streams. So I've started buying shows off Apple. (It's hard to get things in HK sometimes)

I'm currently rewatching Babylon 5 and I have the X Files lined up. I'm also interested in getting back into Highlander: The Series. I loved that as a kid.

DIEHARD
02-10-21, 01:47 PM
OK here are some things to watch during the off-season.

Squid Game - The Korean TV show that's a bit like a Japanese game show mixed with Hunger Games. I enjoyed it. It is violent though.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oqxAJKy0ii4" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Foundation - Classic scifi by Issac Asimov. It's on Apple.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/X4QYV5GTz7c" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wheel of Time - Another much loved scifi from the 90s by Robert Jordan. On Amazon Prime.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3Fus4Xb_TLg" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DIEHARD
02-10-21, 01:49 PM
I saw Dune last week. I recommend seeing it on IMAX if possible. Really well done. Great set and costumes. It's long but it is refreshing to see a movie that takes its time.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8g18jFHCLXk" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JunctionBlock
02-10-21, 07:39 PM
Unfortunately and stupidly they aren't releasing Dune until November in Australia (same as wheel of time).

If you liked squid game then I would recommend Alice in Borderland. A lot more in depth and clues throughout the very first scenes. As the name suggests there are some links to Alice in Wonderland. Try and work out who is who and what the heck is going on.

shamus
03-10-21, 09:56 AM
OK here are some things to watch during the off-season.

Squid Game - The Korean TV show that's a bit like a Japanese game show mixed with Hunger Games. I enjoyed it. It is violent though.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oqxAJKy0ii4" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Foundation - Classic scifi by Issac Asimov. It's on Apple.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/X4QYV5GTz7c" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wheel of Time - Another much loved scifi from the 90s by Robert Jordan. On Amazon Prime.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3Fus4Xb_TLg" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I read the Foundation books when I was young. Read most of Asimov novels actually. Also read the Wheel of Time books. So can’t wait to watch the series. If you are a book reader Brad grab ‘The Magician’ by Raymond E Feist. It is thick and can be a little slow but once you get involved you will love it. There are about 15 books in the series. I have read them all….twice.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh..I rate The Magician series way more than Wheel of Time. Still loved Wheel of Time though.

Titanic
13-10-21, 10:23 PM
Thanks for that Shamus I’ve been looking for something different. Wheel of Time a classic series. If you want something contemporary fantasy from a particularly popular Chinese writer (translation pretty good) look for the Three Bodies Problem trilogy (Cixin Liu).

DIEHARD
13-10-21, 11:54 PM
I read the Foundation books when I was young. Read most of Asimov novels actually. Also read the Wheel of Time books. So can’t wait to watch the series. If you are a book reader Brad grab ‘The Magician’ by Raymond E Feist. It is thick and can be a little slow but once you get involved you will love it. There are about 15 books in the series. I have read them all….twice.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh..I rate The Magician series way more than Wheel of Time. Still loved Wheel of Time though.

Thanks so much for the recommendations. I'll definitely get onto them as soon as I finish my latest Ice and Fire readthrough. I'm up to the last (current) book.

I'm now watching Aliens. What an amazing movie. A few years ago I saw it at the cinema and I was blown away to see it on the scale. I even saw new details that I have never seen before. And I've seen the movie countless times.

Titanic
14-10-21, 01:26 PM
In desperation I have nearly finished watching The Outpost. Jessica Green and an A Grade plot carry a C Grade production.

Titans83
14-10-21, 02:12 PM
Big fan of the Magician when I was young. I read all of the books and really enjoyed them.
Also the wheel of time was good but I’m not a fan of the trailer. It seems very teenager if that’s a thing.
Dune is an incredible book and i have been hoping they do it justice.
Alien was freaking scary and is one of the best monsters in a sci fi movie

Titanic
20-10-21, 01:17 AM
Just downloaded and watched Dune 2021 and enjoyed it, had forgotten the plot because I read the book half a century ago. Opens on the big screen next week so will watch again.

DIEHARD
01-01-22, 04:21 PM
Cobra Kai Season 4 is up on Netflix. And so far it's very enjoyable with some really funny moments.

Attack on Titan Season 4 - Part 2 is out in several days. (A popular anime for those who don't know)

The Book of Bobba Fett is on Disney+

The new Spider-Man is honestly amazing. Don't waste your money on the Matrix (Unfortunately)

Titanic
01-01-22, 11:36 PM
DiCaprio and Streep in Don't Look Up worth a look, especially for those who felt Armageddon was a bit over the top.

DIEHARD
02-01-22, 12:44 AM
DiCaprio and Streep in Don't Look Up worth a look, especially for those who felt Armageddon was a bit over the top.

*cough* Deep Impact *cough*

Yea I saw that movie too. Leo was amazing and Timothée Chalamet really showed his depth after doing Dune.

JunctionBlock
02-01-22, 03:43 PM
Matrix was just a reboot to give the female lead the ending "she should have had". Anyway, the weird thing is that they said they aren't doing anymore so that was a really bad ending. Hope they got paid well.

Seen Spidey twice now.

Bobba will be a slow burn, same as Mandalorian

Titanic
03-01-22, 02:04 AM
C’mon DH, Armageddon was when Earth actually got the mission on to the asteroid and Deep Impact was how to dodge it … lol. If you add Greenland into it you could nearly develop a conspiracy theory.

DIEHARD
01-02-22, 05:38 PM
C’mon DH, Armageddon was when Earth actually got the mission on to the asteroid and Deep Impact was how to dodge it … lol. If you add Greenland into it you could nearly develop a conspiracy theory.

Oh yea true true. I was being a bit more broad there under the category of "extinction level asteroid film"

Spoiler/Theory: My impression/theory was that the other mission was also sabotaged.

Never seen Greenland.

I've started watching The Expanse. Which so far is nice. I like hard sci-fi and it's interesting to see the Earth/Mars/Belt/OPA politics.

I watched tyhe documentary called Shirkers on Netflix. Which is about some young filmmakers in Singapore in the early 90s. Made a film and then the director/editor/creepo disappeared. Twenty years later they got the footage back....

I've also started going through the Harry Potter movies again.

Titanic
01-02-22, 05:56 PM
Xin nian kuai le or gong hei fat choy. Gave myself a few days off and binge watched GoT again lol and WoT which I quite enjoyed considering I’d forgotten the original plot either from longevity or dementia.

Titanic
17-02-22, 01:26 AM
Binged The Mandalorian and Boba Fett … thank heavens for the footy season coming

DIEHARD
17-02-22, 04:58 PM
Binged The Mandalorian and Boba Fett … thank heavens for the footy season coming

I haven't seen Boba but I think they really did the wrong thing by that character when they cast Temuera Morrison
as him in the prequels. And then made him the genetic template for all Stormtroopers er Clonetroopers.

Mandalorian was a lot better by really milked the cute Yoda gimmick.

I've started watching season 1 of The Sopranos.

Titanic
17-02-22, 05:40 PM
Agree DH, Morrison is an interesting choice and has some very low patches in his performances which detracts from the character in Boba somewhat. I"ve never been a Starwars fan but both series make good fill-ins. Sopranos is great.

DIEHARD
17-02-22, 06:25 PM
I really think that less is more. And the lack of lines and backstory in the originals added to his mystery and we can make up our own stories. But everything is being strip-mined these days.

Yea I'm wearing my bath robe around and speaking my random Italian slang I learned from Sopranos. I amuse myself and what more do you need?

Might give Foundation a crack on Apple TV.

DIEHARD
17-02-22, 06:25 PM
I also like watching Narcos but you need to be focused to read the subtitles. Scary stuff.

JunctionBlock
18-02-22, 02:03 PM
Boba fett was in a few episodes of clone wars animated. He has links with Cad Bane too so that was good to see them back at it.

Mando S1 was so/so but S2 was awesome.

Jon Favreau is doing a great job for Disney

Titanic
18-02-22, 04:29 PM
Guys, the goto free movie and tv series site in China is here, check it out ... https://ww1.couchtuner.guru

Can't remember if I mentioned it but Reacher S1 has made me crave for more.

JunctionBlock
18-02-22, 09:49 PM
Guys, the goto free movie and tv series site in China is here, check it out ... https://ww1.couchtuner.guru

Can't remember if I mentioned it but Reacher S1 has made me crave for more.

Finally got the casting correct for Reacher

DIEHARD
20-02-22, 01:28 AM
Also marching through The Walking Dead again. Just started Season 5.

Titanic
21-02-22, 01:30 AM
Just finishing S1 of Peacemaker … a bit like too much red cordial for old bastards like me :surprise:

JunctionBlock
21-02-22, 06:47 PM
Just finishing S1 of Peacemaker … a bit like too much red cordial for old bastards like me :surprise:

Not as much compared to his intro in suicide squad 2

It wasn't a bad first season

DIEHARD
19-03-22, 06:16 PM
Started watching The Crown. My wife isn’t really a history buff. But she has a real interest in the royal family. Just half way through season one. Enjoying it so far. I can see why it was popular.

Titanic
19-03-22, 10:38 PM
Nearly finished The Vikings: Valhalla S1 … not too shabby but if you like British period pieces then I highly recommend the weirdly named Peaky Blinders

DIEHARD
20-03-22, 01:35 AM
Nearly finished The Vikings: Valhalla S1 … not too shabby but if you like British period pieces then I highly recommend the weirdly named Peaky Blinders

I wrapped up watching the original Vikings. Before watching the last half of the last season I went back to season one and did a watch through. I'll have to take a break with that setting before I go back there.

Still walking through WD. I made myself a promise not to shave until I complete the series. My Rick Grimes beard. Not quite there yet.

http://www.diehardtitan.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/beard-i-am-more-beard-than-man.gif

I've been enjoying watching movies lately. Something nicely packaged to finish in 90-120mins. After all the media companies making everything a damn series. Started watching the old Star Trek movies. I love the Kirk/Spock/McCoy dynamic. With "Bones" my favourite.

Always up for recommendations. Especially documentaries.

DIEHARD
31-03-22, 04:14 PM
Game of Thrones prequel, House of the Dragon, has a release date of August 21, 2022.

Titanic
31-03-22, 05:53 PM
About to continue The Blacklist after a hiatus of a few years at Season 5

JunctionBlock
31-03-22, 07:44 PM
I've been binging Shameless for the last few weeks. Up to season 7

DIEHARD
01-05-22, 11:12 PM
Better Call Saul Season 5. Then just moved onto the new season 6.

Also cruising through Star Trek The Next Generation season 2 at Warp 4.

Really enjoying watching the Amazing Race on Disney Plus. Or as I call it "Being Screwed Over By Random Taxi Drivers"

DIEHARD
09-06-22, 10:53 AM
It seems like August will be TV Christmas to me.

- House of The Dragon
- Walking Dead Season 11 Part 2
- Rilakkuma (Netflix)

Rilakkuma is a Japanese show of two bears and a yellow bird living with a young woman. It's so good because it's stop motion. So much love and care has gone into every frame. Unlike CGI cartoons that I am really indifferent too at times. Much like Top Gun: Maverick. People marvel at the return of real photography and real stunts.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/L_VlwRgYMOY" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also re-watching

- Star Trek Next Gen season 2. Gee some of those early episodes are tough to watch, I think some are actually left over scripts from the 60s!
- Diving deep into Amazing Race over the years. Brutal show sometimes.
- Finally watched Wandavision. Haven't touched many other Marvel TV shows. But I will.
- I need to start to watch Obi Wan!

Also finally got back to the cinema here. Watched Dr Strange. I found Sami Rami's style pretty overwhelming and was constantly reminded of his Evil Dead movies (Which I love actually). I guess the content suited him though.

I mentioned Top Gun, haven't seem it yet myself. I'll watch it on IMAX.

Menoitios
09-06-22, 11:07 AM
Binging It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. I have watched before...but good for a giggle. I also didn't mind, Why Are You Like This on Netflix. It's a comedy piss take on the way the world is. Any fans of Neighbours will mostly like (or be shocked by) the role of Mia, played by Olivia Junkeer.

Titanic
09-06-22, 11:47 AM
Just want to mention my favorite comedy piece after any Python is Curb Your Enthusiasm S3E10 … watch it stand alone if you’re not into Larry David.

DIEHARD
25-06-22, 11:54 PM
Finally saw Top Gun. I love fighter planes but was never keen on the original much. But this one was such a great film that kept me interested. It really did because my session ended after midnight and I was still wide awake, I was pretty fired up.

I loved to see the return of real stunts and real photography. They used real planes as much as possible. I saw it on IMAX so the planes were probably 1:1 scale.

Highly recommended. There is a reason why it's going to break one billion bucks USD box office.

Titanic
02-08-22, 09:13 PM
Just started Season 2 of See ... you have to be blind to See it ... for those who haven't caught on to this very entertaining piece of futuristic intrigue ... worth a look. Also sat through Elvis which had few surprises but was watchable once you get past Elvis doesn't look like Elvis ... interesting seeing Hanks in a role like that ... also enjoyed Memory and The Gray Man for harmless viewing.

JunctionBlock
03-08-22, 08:13 AM
I’m finding that Apple TV+ has the best shows on at the moment. See is great. New season out soon. “For all mankind” is another one I really enjoy.

DIEHARD
03-08-22, 05:00 PM
I’m finding that Apple TV+ has the best shows on at the moment. See is great. New season out soon. “For all mankind” is another one I really enjoy.

Yea there is a few I want to watch on Apple TV.

Foundation
Severance
The sci fi movie with Tom Hanks, Finch.

I've been re-watching Stranger Things since finishing off Season 4.

Just started Season 2 of See ... you have to be blind to See it ... for those who haven't caught on to this very entertaining piece of futuristic intrigue ... worth a look.

Sounds up my alley.

DIEHARD
18-08-22, 07:57 PM
House of the Dragon aka Hot D this weekend, I guess that would be Monday Aussie time.

DIEHARD
23-08-22, 07:14 PM
So House of the Dragon Ep 1 is out.

Non-spoiler comments: I thought it was very good. But the violence and sex was over the top to me. I love Matt Smith as Daemon Targaryen was fantastic and very intimidating while still having depth. It lacked the sense of scope, adventure and warmth for me though. GoT Ep 1 we had Ned and Rob's friendship, the Stark family and of course Tyrion and his brother Jamie. I love the greater focus on heraldry and I love the different dragons with their shapes, designs and colours.

DIEHARD
23-08-22, 07:14 PM
I also just discovered Below Deck. A reality TV show set on chartered superyachts and it's ridiculous but addictive.

JunctionBlock
24-08-22, 06:44 AM
I also just discovered Below Deck. A reality TV show set on chartered superyachts and it's ridiculous but addictive.

Below deck
Below deck Mediterranean
Below deck Down Under
Below deck Sailing Yacht

Good luck hahaha, when I was working night shift during the Covid start my wife got hooked and now I enjoy the absurdity of it too.

- - - Updated - - -

So House of the Dragon Ep 1 is out.

Non-spoiler comments: I thought it was very good. But the violence and sex was over the top to me. I love Matt Smith as Daemon Targaryen was fantastic and very intimidating while still having depth. It lacked the sense of scope, adventure and warmth for me though. GoT Ep 1 we had Ned and Rob's friendship, the Stark family and of course Tyrion and his brother Jamie. I love the greater focus on heraldry and I love the different dragons with their shapes, designs and colours.

I guess as it is a 10 ep series they have to push on with every episode. A lot happened in Ep 1

DIEHARD
24-08-22, 01:02 PM
Below deck
Below deck Mediterranean
Below deck Down Under
Below deck Sailing Yacht

Good luck hahaha, when I was working night shift during the Covid start my wife got hooked and now I enjoy the absurdity of it too.

OMG. That's it for me! I didn't realise there was four of em. My wife wasn't impressed with me sending her voice messages in the spirit of Below Deck.

"Brad Brad Cyn. The primary isn't satisfied with the dinner. He says it is not 7 star. Copy."

Seeing all the ocean, it makes me really miss Australia and going to the beach.

JunctionBlock
24-08-22, 04:10 PM
OMG. That's it for me! I didn't realise there was four of em. My wife wasn't impressed with me sending her voice messages in the spirit of Below Deck.

"Brad Brad Cyn. The primary isn't satisfied with the dinner. He says it is not 7 star. Copy."

Seeing all the ocean, it makes me really miss Australia and going to the beach.

I often wonder why the guests that can afford that kind of luxury would want to be on a show and then look like absolute assholes as well as hear what the crew say about them. Funny. But some of them return and then just up the asshole ante and are worse

Titanic
30-08-22, 01:52 PM
In the depressed spirit of "the Titans are not playing finals" I have bounced back by re-visiting Mr. Inbetween. And am saving House of the Dragon to binge it eventually.

Titanic
20-09-22, 05:04 PM
Still avoiding HoD but casually watching the Rings of Power while saving See III to binge it during the on-coming Chinese National Holiday. Bit the bullet and went back after a lot of peer pressure to Season 2 of Better Call Saul and working my way through it.

DIEHARD
21-09-22, 10:04 AM
Bit the bullet and went back after a lot of peer pressure to Season 2 of Better Call Saul and working my way through it.

Peer pressure!!!

I've gone back and restarted watching Breaking Bad. So good. You can't beat Jesse and Walt. What an awesome odd couple.

Also noticing the nuance of a character like Hank. Who is a loud mouth racist, but shows deep loyalty and compassion to family at moments.

Oh to organise my TV watching, I've moved on from having a dodgy Google Doc and I thought, hey, there has got to be an app for this. So I downloaded TV Time. And you can track what episodes and seasons you have watched and what you want to watch. Movies included. With little details and plot summaries.

It's great. And I'll definitely be putting in some of the suggestions I read on here into it.

Some movies coming up at the cinema include...

Black Adam (DC Superhero with The Rock) - 20 Oct
Black Panther 2 - 9 Nov

Dates are HK release dates but it gives you an idea.

Titanic
01-11-22, 01:29 AM
Finished Better Call Saul, finished Rings of Power, working my way through Andor and binged House of the Dragon which ended better than it started.

DIEHARD
01-11-22, 05:28 PM
Finished Better Call Saul, finished Rings of Power, working my way through Andor and binged House of the Dragon which ended better than it started.

Hot D really did end well. I agree with you. Those final scenes with the dragon battle were terrifying and also what preceded it.

I liked the end of Better Call Saul. I'm now doing another run through of Breaking Bad, into Season 3.

Heard good things about Andor.

DIEHARD
28-11-22, 05:47 PM
Saw Black Panther 2. I didn't enjoy it as much as most Marvel films. I re-watched Shang-Chi the night before. and that is a lot of fun.

I thought they did a good job honouring Chadwick Boseman. A real tragedy. RIP.

I've been watching a lot of Seinfeld lately and been really enjoying it. Great way to improve your mood.

Also been re-watch the late 80s / 90s BBC comedy/sci-fi, Red Dwarf. A show I absolutely adore.

Titanic
28-11-22, 09:27 PM
1899 is my next target.

edit

and done

DIEHARD
01-12-22, 03:46 PM
The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Official Trailer
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TnGl01FkMMo" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DIEHARD
26-02-23, 07:35 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KydqdKKyGEk" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TnGl01FkMMo" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think the makers of the movie are pretty smart to re-explore the origins of the Mario Brothers which was in the real world as plumbers, This trailer which takes the form of a mock ad uses the theme from the Mario Bros cartoon and even features the voice actor of the Princess. It has some lovely Ghostbuster/Small Business vibes.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pu57M7cjSD4" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DIEHARD
26-02-23, 07:38 PM
Tetris is streaming March 31 on Apple TV+
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Hcfbg994fu4" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Titanic
26-02-23, 08:50 PM
I thought Tetris was having a crap in a Chinese toilet :banana:

MaroonTitan
26-02-23, 10:09 PM
I know you don't mean anything derogatory by that Titanic. Sounds like you're close to the action over there, which I'm envious of. I took my young family for four and half months of travelling China twelve years ago. Easily the most fascinating country I've ever been. Awesome place - wonderful people!

Also, on the movie/tv bent, Andor was great and Diehard, if you love Seinfeld, you should love Curb Your Enthusiasm. Some of the most ridiculous humour I've ever seen. The Golfing episode with Norm and the swans had me laughing out loud slapping my knee on a flight in the middle of the night.

DIEHARD
26-02-23, 10:48 PM
I've definitely enjoyed Curb Your Enthusiasm over the years, but I haven't systematically tapped it. Sounds like a really good idea. I just finished a watch through of The Office. Steve Carrell as Michael Scott really hits the spot.

I haven't got into Andor yet, but I've heard great things. Just started Foundation on Apple TV.

I watched Episode 1 of Season 3 of Picard and it was pretty good after the last two... let's just say I'm really disappointed in NuTrek. I'll watch the second episode soon.

Two famous comedies that I've never watched are Parks and Recreation and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Definitely on my list.

DIEHARD
25-03-23, 09:02 PM
Finally, finally started watching The Boys.

DIEHARD
15-04-23, 03:55 PM
Really recommend Picard season 3 to all the Trekkies out there. After alot of poor NuTrek, this one has really come home. 9 out of 10 episodes are out and 9 was amazing.

DIEHARD
15-04-23, 04:00 PM
Got some free time now, so finally saw the Mario Bros movie. Absolutely loved it. The additional of DK really worked with his antagonistic relationship with Mario, which works nicely with their gaming history. I also love how they focused on their lives in the real world too. As a fan of the old Super Mario Bros cartoon, this was always a huge part of my own head cannon.

Great one for gamers who grew up on the games and kids alike.

I was also happy to see that Mario and I share a mutual distaste for mushrooms. Which is a funny predicament for him to be in. And the Mario/Super Mushroom and my extreme, obsessive love of these games was used against me by friends and partners to mock my distaste of mushrooms. I did a very slow and satisfying head turn and smirk to my wife. "See!"

DIEHARD
01-07-23, 04:05 PM
I saw Guardians of the Galaxy 3. Liked it and it's alot better than most recent Marvel stuff.

Started watching Silo on AppleTV. Two eps in and very impressed.

In a ruined and toxic future, a community exists in a giant underground silo that plunges hundreds of stories deep; there, people live in a society full of regulations they believe are meant to protect them.