PDA

View Full Version : Lowe covets Raiders job

DIEHARD
23-02-06, 07:35 AM
Lowe covets Raiders job

Former Queensland coach Graham Lowe has expressed an interest in re-igniting his career at Canberra.

Lowe, who guided the Maroons in the early 1990s, revealed he spoke with Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett and ex-Manly and Australia mentor Bob Fulton before formally applying for the Raiders post on Friday night.

Lowe has also applied for the Newcastle job, to be vacated by Michael Hagan at the end of the season.

"I rang Wayne Bennett last week just to run it off him," Lowe said from New Zealand last night.

"I said, 'I am considering doing this, what's your reaction to it'? He told me a few things had changed. (But) he certainly didn't dissuade me from doing it."

The Raiders are in no rush to make a decision on who will replace Matt Elliott next season.

Chris Anderson - a premiership winner with Canterbury and Melbourne - is understood to be favourite.

Former Brisbane assistant Kevin Walters has also applied, while North Queensland Cowboys assistant Neil Henry expressed his interest yesterday.

Lowe, 59, began his coaching career in New Zealand in the late 1970s before rising to prominence at the helm of Brisbane Norths.

He was the Kiwis' national coach from 1983-86 and spent three years at Manly (1990-92) and a season at North Queensland (1996).
However, he hasn't coached at the top level since leaving the Cowboys.

The Australian

DeeGan
23-02-06, 09:47 AM
Interesting news...I think he has been too long out of the game at the elite level to warrant a call up. Anderson has as well I guess, but he is not as far removed as Lowe. Lowe also had health problems last time around as coach.

I would not be "for it" as such if a Raiders fan.

Eel 33
23-02-06, 10:08 AM
Agreed Deegan, although you may find some ideas from years gone by could be blended in by Lowe that have been forgotten by the rest of the comp.

Social Loafer
23-02-06, 04:39 PM
Every coach going around seems to be linked to the Raiders now, what is funny is the fact that the Raiders havn't really confirmed interest in any of them...