15 - Luke Bailey
16 - Mark Minichiello
17 - Paul Carter
18 - Ryan James
19 - Brad Takairangi
20 - Ben Ridge

DIEHARD
17-02-14, 06:44 AM
NRL 9s did the trick, got me primed for Round 1 and made me patient enough to make all the Round 1 game threads.

Time for some revenge in Round 1 vs the Sharks.

Reckon Todd Carney may be out still?

Thank god we aren't playing at 2pm in the QLD heat. That's Round 2.

DavidBouveng
17-02-14, 12:56 PM
im in sydney that weekend, shame this is a monday night game.

would have been able to make it if it was a sunday game.

give Buzz rothfield a uppercut for everyone on the forum

Surfers66
17-02-14, 04:10 PM
Carney will be ready to go round 1, Hopefully Zillman isnt though.

Blade07
23-02-14, 03:28 PM
Robson is out
Any ideas on their halves i think carney will be back though

Mexican titan
23-02-14, 04:02 PM
In today's paper it said that Luke Lewis, Anthony Tupou and Heighnington would be out. Lewis is a huge loss for them.

DavidBouveng
23-02-14, 06:42 PM
Wade Graham at 6? and Carney to play 7 until RObson is back?

i cant recall who the backup is. Townsend left... who else is there?

Maybe Daniel Holdsworth?

DIEHARD
24-02-14, 06:29 AM
Cronulla officials are sweating on star playmaker Todd Carney overcoming a hamstring injury for round one after halfback Jeff Robson was ruled out with multiple facial fractures suffered in Saturday night's 28-22 trial loss to Wests Tigers at Remondis Stadium.

Robson, who was taken from the field after 25 minutes, stayed in hospital on Saturday night for treatment to cheekbone and jaw injuries and will miss the club's opening premiership match against Gold Coast on March 10.

With Carney suffering a hamstring tear at the inaugural NRL Nines tournament in Auckland the previous weekend and Chad Townsend having joined the Warriors in the off-season, the Sharks halves stocks are low.

Advertisement Former Bulldogs and Dragons five-eighth Daniel Holdsworth has joined the club and will play against the Titans but unless Carney recovers their options to partner him at the scrumbase appear limited to either back-rower Wade Graham or bench utility John Morris.

Should Graham be shifted to the halves, it would affect an already weakened back row as Luke Lewis (shoulder) and Anthony Tupou (knee) are already sidelined for the start of the premiership after undergoing reconstructions and Chris Heighington (calf) is in doubt.

The selection of Morris in the halves would enable Sharks coach Peter Sharp to promote highly rated youngster Michael Lichaa. Cronulla captain Paul Gallen was rested from the trial after making a successful professional boxing debut on Wednesday night, while Sharp said he was confident Carney, Heighington, Beau Ryan (neck) and Bryce Gibbs (hand) would be right to play in round one.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/

DavidBouveng
24-02-14, 10:15 AM
If we are going to beat the sharks, these injuries are a big help.

But once again, there coach is under fire leading up to the match and will unite them against the world FFS.

karnage
25-02-14, 11:10 AM
They don't have a coach. Their halves are in disarray. Half the squad have a prolonged drug suspension hanging over their heads.

This is a game that we should be winning.

DIEHARD
25-02-14, 11:19 AM
Titans co-captain Nate Myles cleared to play in round one against Cronulla

AFTER weeks of uncertainty following off-season groin surgery Titans co-captain Nate Myles says he will be ready to play in Round one of the NRL against Cronulla.

Myles had nagging issues with osteitis pubis, causing severe inflammation, throughout 2013 that affected his availability for matches and he had surgery in December to alleviate the condition.

The Queensland Origin star said he had gradually built up his training workload in the pre-season and although he should be ready for Round 1, he envisaged he would run out of puff early.

“I’m feeling good, I’ve amped up the training the last few weeks and the medical staff have been pretty happy with how things are going,” he said. “I think everyone’s going to be pretty even Round 1.

“Hopefully it’s going to be all right, I know it’s not going to be the best feeling running out there. I’ll be sucking in the seagulls but, you know, I’m looking forward to it.”

Myles said although he was prepared to step out on the field in March, there was plenty of talent in the forward pack and admitted his selection might not be cut and dry.

“I think the pressure’s coming more from me to be ready for the season.” he said.

“Fellas like Whitey (Matt White) and Mark Loane are coming back in and (Ryan) James is playing fantastic.

“You know the competition for our front-row is fantastic and that’s going to bring the best out in the players.”

Myles said he was happy to leave his immediate playing future up to the coaching staff.

“I’ve got to see if Carty’s (coach John Cartwright’s) lawn needs a mow,” he said.

“I’ll go and check that out and see if I can get in the starting side but that’s up to the coaches and as I said, I’ll be right I think.

“I feel really good, probably the best I could feel with this amount of time to get ready, but in saying that, we’ve been doing everything right.”

Myles said a month ago that he hoped to test his recovery in at least one pre-season match.

But he was missing from the team as the Titans played their final trial match against the Cowboys at the weekend, losing 28-12 to a side tipped by many to dominate in 2014.

Neither side was at full-strength but Myles said he was happy with the team’s performance.

“A few times there we fell away, I think the mix of having 24 players cycling on and off the field and rotating, sort of can do that,” he said.

“You can fall out of the game a bit and I think it happened but there are definitely some great signs there. I thought we were there for probably close to 60 minutes. We were playing some really good footy so there was a lot to improve on.”

Myles said the biggest concern was that the Titans did not stay competitive for the duration of the match.

“I think that all our blokes stood up and I was just disappointed we didn’t last the whole 80,” Myles said. “But I think that everyone’s positive.”

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au

Titanic
25-02-14, 12:40 PM
Anybody want to bet against Gallen wishboning Myles if he plays?

DIEHARD
25-02-14, 02:12 PM
Sharks will get better, says Sharp

Fearing the worst and hoping for the best has very much become a way of life at Cronulla.

But at least the Sharks will start the 2014 NRL season knowing they cope well with prolonged uncertainty and speculation and their expectations are high.

It's been more than a year since the 'darkest day in Australian sport' when anti-doping agency ASADA began a probe centred around the club's 2011 supplements program.

None of the 10 players interviewed by ASADA last year have learned if they have cause for concern as the investigation drags on.

However, the NRL have taken action against the club over governance issues, slapping them with a million dollar fine and suspending coach Shane Flanagan for 12 months along with the Sharks' former strength and conditioning coach Trent Elkin.

The pair are appealing the verdicts, but until the matter is resolved Peter Sharp has replaced Flanagan.

The 59-year-old former Manly and Hull FC coach is very much the reluctant stand-in and says he'd be happy to return to his role as Flanagan's No.2.

"It is what it is, and everyone at this club is just pitching in and doing their best," Sharp says.

Despite the turmoil of last year, Cronulla enjoyed their best season since 2008, finishing fifth and reaching the second week of the finals where they lost narrowly to Manly.

"We are confident we can go better this year," Sharp said.

"We have a seasoned group of players and they've had to get to used to a difficult situation.

"But we feel we are better for the experience of last year and we will start the season confident that we can improve on last season."

Sharp is confident key playmaker Todd Carney will be fit for the round one clash with the Gold Coast at Remondis Stadium after injuring his hamstring during the Auckland Nines.

Luke Lewis is the only regular starter who's unlikely to be ready to start the season as he continues his rehabilitation from reconstruction surgery after dislocating his shoulder during Australia's World Cup campaign.

The 30-year-old NSW back-rower is expected to be back in action for the round four clash with Newcastle.

Sharp also has high hopes for new recruit Blake Ayshford who became the latest of string of Wests Tigers players to make the switch to the Sutherland Shire.

The centre is reunited with former teammates Andrew Fifita, Bryce Gibbs, Beau Ryan, John Morris and Chris Heighington and Sharp believes the 23-year-old can kick-start his career with his new club.

"He's trained very well and he probably needed a change of environment to kick along," he said.

"I thought he was outstanding in the nines and we hope he can take that into the new season."

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/

DIEHARD
27-02-14, 08:52 AM
[/B]]Cup round 1 gives NRL players final chance to star

KALIFA Faifai Loa has been given one final chance to press for selection in the Gold Coast Titans team for Round 1 after being named in the centres for Tweed Heads Seagulls in the opening round of the Intrust Super Cup this weekend.

The opening round of 2014 marks an exciting new chapter in the Intrust Super Cup with the PNG Hunters to make their debut against the Redcliffe Dolphins in Redcliffe. The Hunters have been impressive in pre-season trial matches to date and the entire competition will be on tenterhooks seeing how they perform first up away from home.

For fringes NRL players such as Faifai Loa, this weekend’s matches also act as a final opportunity to impress in the lead-up to Round 1 of the NRL Telstra Premiership.

Since arriving on the Gold Coast Faifai Loa has impressed players and coaching staff alike with his work ethic and remains in contention for a centre spot as coach John Cartwright juggles five players vying for two positions.

Siuatonga Likiliki is another endeavouring to force his way into Cartwright's 17 for Round 1, named in the centres for Burleigh Bears in their clash with Central Queensland Capras at Pizzey Park on Sunday.

Another player looking to impress is former Parramatta Eel Matt Keating, brother of the Bulldogs’ Kris Keating, who will line up in his preferred role at hooker for the Burleigh Bears.

Keating will be hoping to find himself on Titans’ coach John Cartwright’s radar after being told he was not wanted at the Eels for season 2014 by then coach Ricky Stuart and could be the beneficiary of an injury crisis in the Titans' hooking ranks.

Source: http://www.qrl.com.au

Hail Sezer
27-02-14, 09:06 AM
No Keating. Just no.

TITAN PETE
27-02-14, 11:20 AM
No Keating. Just no. yes no :D

It's up to Carter to prove he's the man

I spoke with Matty Srama last night & he's still 2 months away from any contact so let's hope Carter can do the job.

Cartright also said Ryan James is no chance for round 1

TITAN FAN
27-02-14, 11:28 AM
Always feel for the blokes that are put on the scrap heap
However Keating had plenty of years pulling decent money, and he had his opportunity

We don't need another hooker with the likes of Srama, Falloon Irwin, and Carter

Both Falloon and Srama are quality nines, and Carter for me will be a real asset off the bench, Irwin also did his job when the opportunity came his way

DavidBouveng
27-02-14, 12:32 PM
yes no :D

It's up to Carter to prove he's the man

I spoke with Matty Srama last night & he's still 2 months away from any contact so let's hope Carter can do the job.

Cartright also said Ryan James is no chance for round 1

did you go to the Launch mate? i thought i saw Shamus there also

TITAN PETE
27-02-14, 12:45 PM
did you go to the Launch mate? i thought i saw Shamus there also

Yes mate we were both there

DavidBouveng
27-02-14, 10:04 PM
thats awesome, where was it at, and how did you get an invite?

just being a foundation member and favourite son?

Bayside Titan
27-02-14, 11:00 PM

If they sent Foundation Members and email ten I missed it.

Titanic
27-02-14, 11:44 PM
Yes mate we were both there
Any hot gossip?

TITAN PETE
28-02-14, 09:22 AM

Glebe Island it is a temporary convention centre as the real one in Darling Harbour is being rebuilt.

Not sure i'm a favourite with some ;)

If they sent Foundation Members and email ten I missed it.

The NRL invited 600 members in total from all 16 teams i was one of 18 invited but there were members from all levels from Foundation through to Legion.

Any hot gossip?

Spoke to our coach who's looking a little nervous & knows the team succeeds or he's out & Annersley is a politician who i don't want to talk with again..

DavidBouveng
28-02-14, 10:32 AM
Glebe Island it is a temporary convention centre as the real one in Darling Harbour is being rebuilt.

Not sure i'm a favourite with some ;)

The NRL invited 600 members in total from all 16 teams i was one of 18 invited but there were members from all levels from Foundation through to Legion.

Spoke to our coach who's looking a little nervous & knows the team succeeds or he's out & Annersley is a politician who i don't want to talk with again..

haha.

Titanic
28-02-14, 11:10 AM
Annersley is a politician who i don't want to talk with again..
Yep, I've had dealings with him over the years and he is a righteous prig, imho. Apart from having to deal with those two it should have been a great night.

TITAN PETE
28-02-14, 11:38 AM
Yep, I've had dealings with him over the years and he is a righteous prig, imho. Apart from having to deal with those two it should have been a great night.

Brilliant night chatting with Cliff Lyons then Keiran Foran to Beaver & Trent Robinson now there is a genius wish we had him ... there was a conversation with BJ where i said "i bet your sorry the Titans didn't want you mate" , i think he's still pissing himself....the Count was a very cool bloke to talk with but the one player who really stood out for me was our own Matt Srama , very level headed & keen to listen in regards to anything, asked a lot about my own son & said he will come & watch the boys play, future leader for sure :thumbsup:

DIEHARD
28-02-14, 12:47 PM
Frustrated Lewis targets Round 5 return

Luke Lewis admits his recovery from reconstructive shoulder surgery has been a frustrating process with the Test star hopeful of returning for Cronulla in Round 5.

Lewis went under the knife in November after dislocating the joint when he crashed into a pole holding up an advertising board when playing for Australia against Fiji at St Helens during the Rugby League World Cup.

Lewis was told it would take six months to recover from the surgery and the 30-year-old NSW star said he is on course to be back for the clash with the Warriors at Remondis Stadium on April 5.

"I did my first session with the boys in pre-season on Tuesday and got through that really well," Lewis said.

"I'll keep building it up and hopefully next week I will have two sessions and just build it from there and be back for round five."

It was the second time Lewis has undergone this type of surgery having suffered a similar injury during his Penrith days.

However, he said this time around it has been harder to deal with as he's been unable to join in pre-season training with his teammates.

"When I last had it we didn't make the semi-finals so I was able to get it done as soon as the season finished," he said.

"Because I have done this one so late in the pre-season it means I am behind the rest of the boys.

"You have your days when you worry is it going as good as it should be. Then you'll have a couple of weeks when you are absolutely flying, then it's sore again.

"You just have to persist with it. But this week has been awesome and the last two weeks have been pain free and I have been able to lift some weights above my head.

"But the other side of this is that it may help me later in the year as I'll be fresh when it comes to that tough part of the year."

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

DavidBouveng
28-02-14, 02:02 PM
Brilliant night chatting with Cliff Lyons then Keiran Foran to Beaver & Trent Robinson now there is a genius wish we had him ... there was a conversation with BJ where i said "i bet your sorry the Titans didn't want you mate" , i think he's still pissing himself....the Count was a very cool bloke to talk with but the one player who really stood out for me was our own Matt Srama , very level headed & keen to listen in regards to anything, asked a lot about my own son & said he will come & watch the boys play, future leader for sure :thumbsup:

Haha, thats classic. go as our member but the real love was for Menzies, Cliffy and Foran.

Dont blame you mate, that would have been awesome, as well as Robbo.
Glad to hear that Srama was all class.

Very envious. sounds like a great initiative.

DIEHARD
28-02-14, 02:04 PM
Srama sounds like he has the making of a true leader and gentleman of the game. He gets it.

TITAN PETE
28-02-14, 02:58 PM
Haha, thats classic. go as our member but the real love was for Menzies, Cliffy and Foran.

Dont blame you mate, that would have been awesome, as well as Robbo.
Glad to hear that Srama was all class.

Very envious. sounds like a great initiative.

That was the best part of the night mate being able to talk with players & coaches from other teams , even said g'day to Big Franky Pritchard but he's not really an intelligent one :?) We only had Srama & Myles there as current players..

Titanic
28-02-14, 05:00 PM
C'mon Pete, we know the best part was being able to come and make us eat your dust :)

DIEHARD
02-03-14, 01:31 AM
Fifita could get even better in 2014: Sharp

Cronulla Sharks interim coach Peter Sharp has warned that one of the most unstoppable players of 2013, representative prop Andrew Fifita, can get even better this year.

However Sharp also expressed concern that the club could go into its Round 1 match missing both of its first-choice halves, with Todd Carney battling to overcome a hamstring strain and Jeff Robson guaranteed to be missing for around six weeks after receiving facial fractures in the side's final trial.

Asked if Fifita could match his stunning performances of 2013, where he was the club's leading try scorer with nine four-pointers in 25 games, also making 32 tackles and 158 metres per game (for an NRL-topping 3,949 metres), Sharp said "going on last week's trial I think he can, yeah".

Sharp's comments come as Sharks captain Paul Gallen has warned his towering teammate: "Rugby's no fun."

Fifita starred in Cronulla's narrow 28-22 trial loss to Wests Tigers, scoring one try, having another disallowed following an offside ruling, and also laying on a try for teammate Sam Tagatase.

"He'll reproduce [his 2013 form] I'm pretty sure," Sharp said.

"He's keen to do well, he's got his [twin] brother [David] here, his brother's pushing for selection as well. We're hoping all that sort of stuff will add up for an improved year for Andrew, he could slightly improve on last year which would be great because he was outstanding last year."

Is Andrew Fifita in your Holden NRL Fantasy team?

Sharp was less positive over the halves situation, however.

"It's certainly an issue coming into the first game possibly without your two main halves, the two halves that played last year. [Carney has] a hamstring strain, we're hopeful he'll play Round 1 but we'll see how he goes, we won't risk him. [Daniel] Holdsworth will be there."

If Carney is out there remains a question mark over who will be Holdworth's partner in the halves for the Round 1 match against the Titans, Sharp added.

Aside from the injury to Robson, Sharp said he was satisfied with the side's buildup and trial form – which included making the semi-finals of the Dick Smith NRL Auckland Nines, and a 24-12 win over Manly in their first trial.

"I think the object was to get as much football in for as many guys as possible and I think we did that over the two trials and the Nines. It's about having a look at some of the younger guys too, and getting the senior guys some footy under their belt and some contact and all that stuff," Sharp said.

Running his eye over the rest of the squad, Sharp pointed to some exciting youngsters coming through into first grade.

"Valentine Holmes and Michael Lichaa will certainly be in the mix. Valentine Holmes is an exciting prospect but I'm not entirely sure if he's ready this year. Nu Brown's another exciting prospect too. I don't know if they're ready for first grade but Lichaa certainly is at some stage this year."

Sharp also said new recruits Blake Ayshford and Matt Prior had been very impressive at training, as had Bryce Gibbs coming off a long-term injury.

"Ayshford and Matty Prior, they've trained the house down and they've been really impressive – sometimes you just need to change the club don't you, to give you a spring in your step? Hopefully we've provided that avenue for them.

"Jono Wright's been good, Bryce Gibbs has been good after sort of a year in the wilderness with an Achilles injury which has been fairly severe. He's pain-free and has absolutely trained the house down Gibbsy, he's fit and raring to go."

Sharp said former Eels and Origin winger Eric Grothe has shown "encouraging" signs.

"He's done a great job and scored a couple of nice tries. He's worked hard on his game, he's a project after being out that long."

Source: http://www.nrl.com

DIEHARD
02-03-14, 11:15 PM
Gold Coast Titans fear being Cronulla Shark bait again come round one

GOLD Coast Titans fear becoming Shark bait as they brace for another Cronulla ambush with the potential for more ASADA scandal fallout ahead of the series opener next Monday night.

A sense of déjà vu is beginning to sweep through the corridors of Gold Coast headquarters with NRL boss Dave Smith expected to deliver his findings into banned coach Shane Flanagan and rule upon Cronulla’s potential $1m fine this week.

Flanagan and the Sharks were hit with sanctions late last year for the 2011 supplements scandal, but opted to appeal the rulings to Smith who single-handedly has the power to overrule the Integrity Unit findings.

Outgoing ASADA chief Aurora Andruska has told a Senate committee that investigations into the AFL and NRL are complete.

Smith has been reviewing those appeals for a few weeks and is expected to make his final decision prior to the season kick off on Thursday.

It was exactly 12 months ago that the Titans started their 2013 season by walking into a powder keg atmosphere at Shark Park to face Cronulla just a few days after Flanagan and four support staff were banned by the club’s own board in the wake of an interim report into their actions in 2011.

The atmosphere last year was unlike any previously experienced at an NRL game, with genuine feelings of hatred, hostility and anger immediately felt by the Titans the moment they stepped off their team bus.

If Smith refuses to overrule the one-year ban of Flanagan and uphold the $1m fine of the Sharks for the issues still under investigation by ASADA then the Titans will almost certainly walk into a repeat of what they tasted last year.

Todd Carney of the Sharks celebrates winning the round one NRL match between the Cronulla Sharks and the Gold Coast Titans at Sharks Stadium. Source: Getty Images

“It is almost like there is a bit of déjà vu. We’re not too sure what is going to happen this week but it all came upon us pretty quick last year but this year it looks like it might happen again,” Titans football manager Scott Clark said.

“You could just tell there was something in the air last year when we arrived. There were guys marching around and protesting about Shane Flanagan and it was very hostile so we knew it was going to be a tough day.

“One thing we learnt out of last year is you can’t worry about what is going on around you, you just need to worry about your own game. We need to take all that out of play and just worry about our own performances.”

Last year the Titans almost pulled off an almighty upset over the Sharks in that emotional opener, eventually beaten 12-10 before recovering to make a bright start to the season to be pushing for the top four at the halfway point.

Skipper Nate Myles has been declared a certain starter this week, despite missing every preseason trial game after groin surgery, but fellow front rower Ryan James is unlikely to overcome the shoulder injury he sustained three weeks ago.

New assistant coach Neil Henry said the key for the Titans to improve their ladder finish this year was to make another bright start and then maintain the consistency.

“I think this squad is certainly more experienced with the players that have been brought into the squad and hopefully that turns into consistency,” he said.

Source: http://www.news.com.au

amaline
04-03-14, 02:20 PM
Team is up

1 - William Zillman
2 - Kevin Gordon
3 - Brad Tighe
4 – Maurice Blair
5 - David Mead
6 - Aidan Sezer
7 - Albert Kelly
8 - Luke Douglas
9 - Beau Falloon
10 - Nate Myles (capt)
11 - Greg Bird (capt)
12 – David Taylor
13 - Ashley Harrison
INTERCHANGE (from)
14 - Matthew White
15 - Luke Bailey
16 - Mark Minichiello
17 - Paul Carter
18 - Ryan James
19 - Brad Takairangi
20 - Ben Ridge

Titanic
04-03-14, 02:28 PM
Surprise, surprise, surprise ... Hands Minichiello keeps any number of quality young blokes out ... again ... no still ... otherwise ho-hum.

ozynorts
04-03-14, 02:50 PM
Surprise surprise, another team list full of second rowers............
So Carter will be the 1-7 and 9 sub and Taka covers every thing else.....

Hail Sezer
04-03-14, 02:57 PM
Mini over Ridge and Taka? lolololol ok Carty

Surfers66
04-03-14, 03:13 PM
Why, Why, Why..........MINI AAAARRRGGGGHHHHHHH

Doesnt really help with Supercoach either with a 20 man team.

I assume Carter will get a shot no matter what...

Only others im thinking of is Taylor & Bird for SC.

Anyone know of any possible injuries in the starting 13. Why so much cover?

DIEHARD
04-03-14, 03:23 PM
We gotta get Taka and/or Ridge in there, over Mini IMO.

Hope Carter gets a run, love to see another successful debutant.

Very pleased to see Matt White return!

DIEHARD
04-03-14, 03:26 PM
Referrees: Jared Maxwell & Grant Atkins
Touchies: Chris James & Luke Potter
Video Refs: Luke Phillips & Ben Galea

hatchy84
04-03-14, 03:36 PM
Does anyone know if dark is Gonna play

ozynorts
04-03-14, 04:28 PM
Why, Why, Why..........MINI AAAARRRGGGGHHHHHHH

Doesnt really help with Supercoach either with a 20 man team.

I assume Carter will get a shot no matter what...

Only others im thinking of is Taylor & Bird for SC.

Anyone know of any possible injuries in the starting 13. Why so much cover?

From all reports Ryan James is almost no chance to play.

Skyfire
04-03-14, 04:40 PM
It's gonna be a close one. But I think we can win this game.

Still waiting for the Sharks to clear their side with ASADA. ;)

TITAN PETE
04-03-14, 05:00 PM
1.Michael Gordon
2.Sosaia Feki
3.Blake Ayshford
4.Jonathan Wright
5.Beau Ryan
6.Todd Carney
7.Daniel Holdsworth
8.Andrew Fifita
9.John Morris
10.Bryce Gibbs
11.Matt Prior
12.Wade Graham
13.Paul Gallen ©

14.Isaac De Gois
15.Sam Tagataese
16.Tupou Sopoaga
17.Siosaia Vave
18.Tinirau Arona

Peter Sharp

Read more: http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/round-1-team-lists-2014-12451/#ixzz2uyGJBpYl

TITAN PETE
04-03-14, 05:02 PM
Strong Sharks side named but i don't rate Holdsworth , 2 ex-titans on the bench

Smakked
04-03-14, 05:04 PM
Carney Named for the sharks?

He will tear us apart if he plays and is fit.

DIEHARD
04-03-14, 07:44 PM
Nate Myles and Beau Falloon have both been named for Gold Coast Titans against Cronulla

GOLD Coast coach John Cartwright will gamble on the fitness of skipper Nate Myles and Beau Falloon with the key duo named for the season opener.

Myles has not played a trial match since groin surgery following the World Cup while hooker Falloon missed every preseason game with a hamstring issue.

But the duo were today named by Cartwright for Monday’s trip to Cronulla in a 20-man squad that includes new recruits Brad Tighe and Maurice Blair at centre and debutant Paul Carter on the bench.

Cartwright said Myles and Falloon were thoroughly tested during a rigorous session yesterday to ensure they would be fit to face the Sharks.

“They all got through the session so we expect them to be fine come Monday,” he said.

“It’s a bit of a concern (with no trial games) but generally it’s normally the second game up where they hit the wall a little bit.

“Going in fresh and with the excitement and adrenaline that normally gets you through but it is going to be hard.

“I think the Sharks are in a similar boat with guys who haven’t played a lot of football.”

Former Origin star Dave Taylor was named to start in the back row while prop Ryan James was on the extended bench but is unlikely to play with his shoulder complaint.

Monday’s game will be a record breaking occasion for prop Luke Douglas who will play his 195th consecutive NRL game since debut.

The front rower breaks the record held by Jason Taylor that he equalled last year.

Source: http://www.couriermail.com.au

Smakked
05-03-14, 12:46 PM
http://www.nrl.com/carney-in-doubt-for-sharks-nrl-opener/tabid/10874/newsid/76577/default.aspx

I hope he doesnt play

DIEHARD
05-03-14, 12:57 PM
It's the time of year where there are lots of hopeful team announcements by clubs. Us included. So there is a good chance he won't play, but they'll do everything to get him out there.

I agree, if he plays it spells trouble for us.

DIEHARD
05-03-14, 03:38 PM
Carney in doubt for Sharks' NRL opener

Skipper Paul Gallen says Todd Carney is only a 50-50 chance of playing in Cronulla's Monday night's NRL season-opener as he's still struggling to overcome a hamstring injury.

Carney was on Tuesday named in the halves alongside Daniel Holdsworth - who replaces injured halfback Jeff Robson - for the match against the Gold Coast.

But Gallen has cast doubt over whether the Sharks' playmaker will be fit enough for round one, saying he has not been in full flight since re-injuring his troublesome hamstring at last month's Auckland Nines tournament.

"He's still probably 50-50," Gallen told Sky Sports Radio on Wednesday.

"He hasn't run flat out yet.

"He is running fairly quick, but there is a big difference between running quick and having to take off at 100 miles an hour especially with the hamstring injury that he's got.

"I don't know if it's worth risking him round one to be perfectly honest.

"It is early on in the season and we do have a few other injuries. So, look, I think we're just better off getting Toddy 100 per cent.

"But knowing Todd, he is going to do everything he can to play and he's doing that at the moment."

Gallen said Wade Graham would most likely replace Carney in the No.6 jumper, despite reports the backrower suffered a blood infection while in camp at Kiama.

If he's unfit, hooker John Morris is a chance of shifting to the halves.

"We do have a few options there which is good, but obviously it's going to be very hard to replace Todd Carney," he said.

"It's going to be an interesting round one. We're going to be skinny, our side. We have some big names that won't be playing."

Meanwhile Gallen said, physically, he's feeling better than he's ever been, even after a reduced pre-season owing to the World Cup campaign late last year.

"I don't want to talk it up too much, but I'm probably in the best shape I've been in for a number of years to be honest," he said.

"We had a fitness session last Wednesday, Friday then Monday, and even (coach) Peter Sharp came up and said to me `mate, I've never seen you run like this'."

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/

TITAN PETE
05-03-14, 07:10 PM
Sharks v Titans preview
By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent
NRL.com
4:30pm Wed 05th March, 2014

Sharks v Titans
Remondis Stadium
Monday 7pm (AEDT)

If legendary baseball manager Yogi Berra was preparing either of these teams for their Round 1 clash at Remondis Stadium he'd simply say this: "It's deja vu all over again."

Sharks coach Shane Flanagan has had his 12-month provisional suspension upheld and as the ASADA investigation has drawn to a close players remain on tenterhooks as to any potential infraction notices.

The Titans watched a high-profile player walk away during the off-season and are rapidly trying to construct a backline to complement a forward pack laden with representative stars.

Twelve months ago the Sharks' 12-10 triumph was described as the "most emotion-charged" in the club's 46-year history and there's little doubt the Titans will be expecting a similar reception to start 2014.

In matters to be settled on the field, both teams head into their opening game with dark injury clouds hanging over their heads. The home side will be without influential back-rower Luke Lewis for the opening month and Todd Carney's hamstring is being closely monitored, while the Titans will be without boom prop Ryan James and there are question marks over hookers Paul Carter, Matt Srama and Beau Falloon.

There are a number of new faces also to become familiar with, some of whom have not been seen in these parts for quite some time. Eric Grothe Jr may have rediscovered the passion to go with his extraordinary talent after three years in the wilderness while Daniel Holdsworth has returned to the NRL to settle in the Shire after three years in the English Super League.

Add Blake Ayshford to the Sharks backline and there's plenty of potency to go with the grunt up front provided by Gallen, Fifita and Tagataese.

Like their Round 1 opponents, the Titans have bolstered their outside backs with the additions of Maurice Blair, Kalifa Faifai Loa and Brad Tighe, who arrived on the Gold Coast from Penrith in the new year in a virtual straight swap for Jamal Idris.

Rookie Paul Carter was brought in from the Bulldogs as back-up for the back-rowers but coach John Cartwright immediately started adding some versatility to his game by spending time at dummy-half and it may prove a masterstroke. With experienced hookers Matt Srama and Beau Falloon both in doubt for the start of the season, Carter could be Cartwright's saviour given his form in the pre-season.

Cronulla captain Paul Gallen will become the second-most capped Sharks player of all-time, moving past David Peachey to sit on 233 games. Club legend Andrew Ettingshausen holds the record with 328 games.

Watch Out Sharks: As has been the case for each of the eight pre-seasons of his career to date, much attention has been focused on the fitness of enigmatic back-rower Dave Taylor. The verdict? He's as fit as he has ever been heading into Round 1.

With a new-found love of surfing and wife Ashlee studying nutrition, Taylor is set to start 2014 in the same destructive fashion in which he finished last season. At his best there are few players in the NRL who are more difficult to contain than Taylor and if the Titans are to seriously push for premiership glory, they need their one-time Kangaroos representative firing more often than not.

A calf complaint kept the 'Coal Train' confined to the altitude chamber for the early part of the pre-season and when he went down on the opening day of the Auckland Nines the Titans medical staff immediately assumed the worst. It turned out to be a knock on the knee that ruled him out of day two but the engine is fully stoked ahead of the season proper.

Watch Out Titans: With two codes and a host of clubs all clamouring to have brunch with his manager, the best way for Andrew Fifita to add a zero or two to his next contract is to start 2014 in the exact same manner he finished 2014.

A Wests Tigers just three years ago, Fifita became arguably the most influential big man in the game in his second season at the Sharks last year. His total of 3949 running metres for the season was almost 500 more than the next best (Brisbane's Corey Parker) and his nine tries were the most by a Sharks player and equal to that of Brett Stewart, Anthony Milford and Brett Morris.

Whether coach Peter Sharp promotes him to the starting pack or utilises him as a shock weapon from the bench remains to be seen but backing up from his exploits of last year will be the biggest challenge of his career so far.\

Plays To Watch: Brad Tighe brings something that the Titans haven't had in the centres for a number of years; pure speed. With Greg Bird rough-housing anyone who tries to stop his progress down the left edge, look for Tighe to follow his co-captain closely for any offloads that come his way.

Although Flanagan's influence is supposed to have been diminished, with his assistant Peter Sharp promoted to the top job expect the Sharks to use a similar structure to that which had them on the verge of the top four in 2013. A powerful forward pack is also loaded with skill which is the perfect foundation for Carney to instigate second-phase play and create space for his outside men.

Where It Will Be Won: Nothing would give Luke Douglas more satisfaction than to come home to the club where he spent the first six years of his career and celebrate breaking the record for most consecutive appearances currently held by Jason Taylor with a Titans win. If that is to happen he and the Gold Coast forwards will need to earn their side ascendancy in the middle of the park.

With Gallen, Fifita, Graham, Gibbs and Tagataese all ripping into their work in front of their home fans, the Titans workhorses will not only have to find a way to contain them but also create some opportunities of their own.

With the offloading of Gallen and Graham, footwork and power of Fifita and speed of Tagataese, the Sharks have a greater array of weapons to ask questions of the opposition defence and create more scoring opportunities for the men out wide.

The History: Played 10; Sharks 6, Titans 4. Although meetings between these two sides have been rare over the past six years, it is the Sharks who hold the edge having won four of the past five encounters. The first six games from 2008 all went with the home side and the Titans have only once tasted success at Remondis Stadium (20-16, Rd 22, 2011).

What Are The Odds: Punters give the Titans a huge hope of an upset with money slightly in their favour. They’re $2.37 outsiders with Sportsbet.com.au.

Match Officials: Referees – Jared Maxwell & Grant Atkins; Sideline Officials – Chris James & Luke Potter; Video Referees – Luke Phillips & Ben Galea.

Televised: Fox Sports – Live 7pm (AEDT).

The Way We See It: There's something about a Monday night in the Shire that visiting teams find inhospitable and the home side thrives on. The battle of the forward packs should be a beauty but with some extra punch from the bench – and providing Carney is 100 per cent – the Sharks should start with a narrow win, just as they did 12 months ago. Sharks by 4 points.

DIEHARD
06-03-14, 02:55 PM
DJ looks set for chance in halves

JUST a few months after joining the club, Daniel Holdsworth could be piloting the Cronulla Sharks attack around the field in the club's NRL season opener against the Gold Coast Titans on Monday night.

That's the scenario facing the rugby league journeyman known as "DJ", after injuries to the team's top halves, Jeff Robson (fractured cheekbone) and Todd Carney (hamstring).

But it doesn't faze him.

"I think I'm up for it whether I'm chosen at half or five-eighth," he said after last week's 28-22 trial loss to the Wests Tigers at Remondis Stadium.

"But that is up to the coach."

The experienced Holdsworth has performed solidly in the Sharks trials, and made it clear from the time he arrived that he is after a starting spot in the Sharks line-up.

Though the Sharks still hope Carney will be fit to return for the season-opener from a minor tear, during the NRL Nines, Holdsworth looks the pea to fill the half-back spot with Robson's injury set to keep him out of the game for four to six weeks.

Holdsworth has been around long enough to know you take your chances when you can.

He's been to a few clubs, too, here and overseas.

Holdsworth was born in Tweed Heads and moved to Perth at an early age.

There he played all his junior rugby league for the North Beach rugby league club, going on to represent Western Australia in under-15s and under-18s.

In Sydney he played lower grades for Penrith before making his NRL debut for the St George Illawarra Dragons.

Injuries disrupted his two seasons there and limited first grade career.

Holdsworth found a home at the Canterbury Bulldogs, going on to play 70 games between 2006 and 2009.

He got a chance to experience British Super League, playing for the Salford City Reds and Hull FC.

When he was chosen to represent the Exiles, a team selected from Australian and New Zealand-born starts playing in England in 2012, Holdsworth was described by English fullback Sam Tomkins as "'very clever, powerful and an effective stand-off [five-eighth]."

At the end of the Super League 2013 season, he signalled his intent to return home.

Holdsworth was able to seal a deal to return to play for the Sharks in 2014.

During a good off-season of training with the Sharks, his Caringbah home was burgled and memorabilia stolen, including signed jerseys from former Bulldogs teammates Sonny Bill Williams and Andrew Ryan, but they were later found.

A surfing fan, he's settled right into the shire lifestyle over the summer — and now he's ready to make his mark for the Sharkies.

http://www.theleader.com.au

TITAN PETE
07-03-14, 10:03 AM
Titans move is part of hooker Paul Carter’s strategy to unlock future opportunities
TRAVIS MEYN GOLD COAST BULLETIN MARCH 07, 2014 8:11AM

FORMER Penrith firebrand Steve Carter says his son — Gold Coast Titans rookie Paul Carter — won’t take a backward step when he makes his NRL debut in front of a hostile Cronulla crowd.

Carter will come off the bench for the Titans against the Sharks in Round 1 of the NRL at Remondis Stadium on Monday night.

The ex-Bulldogs back-rower has been moulded into a hooker in the pre-season after being poached from Canterbury by Titans coach John Cartwright, a former Panthers teammate of Steve.

And Steve, who played 242 games for Penrith and made one State of Origin appearance for NSW, said his son was ready to take on the likes of Paul Gallen and Andrew Fifita.

“He can handle it,” he said.

“Hooker’s probably ideal because it’s a simple type of position. He knows he’s just got to tackle what’s in front of him and play simple.

“It’s just a matter of him playing football now to adjust to the top level and develop his game. He’s a different style of player to me. He’s stronger and more powerful than I ever was.

“He’s got a fair bit of aggression which I did as well but he’s got the muscle to back it up where as I didn’t.

“I don’t know what it’s like to have the stigma of a family member previously playing footy. I try to stay out of it and let him do his own thing.

“He’s in a good place now and seems happy.”

Carter spent four seasons at Canterbury after joining the club as a teenager in their under-18 SG Ball squad.

He languished in the NSW Cup last year and with the Bulldogs having a plethora of forward talent, decided to make the move north.

“Paul, John (Cartwright) and myself had a yarn and we thought there’d be an opportunity there (Titans),” said Steve, who will be at Cronulla on Monday.

“Canterbury wanted to retain him but we had to look at what was best for Paul. Gold Coast has a good setup and in the back-row they’re getting a bit thin over the next few years.

“It was more of a strategic move to head there and get the opportunity he needed.”

Carter was one of the Gold Coast’s best in their final trial loss to the Cowboys, cementing a spot on the bench as a back-up to Beau Falloon.

TITAN PETE
07-03-14, 10:03 AM
Titans move is part of hooker Paul Carter’s strategy to unlock future opportunities
TRAVIS MEYN GOLD COAST BULLETIN MARCH 07, 2014 8:11AM

FORMER Penrith firebrand Steve Carter says his son — Gold Coast Titans rookie Paul Carter — won’t take a backward step when he makes his NRL debut in front of a hostile Cronulla crowd.

Carter will come off the bench for the Titans against the Sharks in Round 1 of the NRL at Remondis Stadium on Monday night.

The ex-Bulldogs back-rower has been moulded into a hooker in the pre-season after being poached from Canterbury by Titans coach John Cartwright, a former Panthers teammate of Steve.

And Steve, who played 242 games for Penrith and made one State of Origin appearance for NSW, said his son was ready to take on the likes of Paul Gallen and Andrew Fifita.

“He can handle it,” he said.

“Hooker’s probably ideal because it’s a simple type of position. He knows he’s just got to tackle what’s in front of him and play simple.

“It’s just a matter of him playing football now to adjust to the top level and develop his game. He’s a different style of player to me. He’s stronger and more powerful than I ever was.

“He’s got a fair bit of aggression which I did as well but he’s got the muscle to back it up where as I didn’t.

“I don’t know what it’s like to have the stigma of a family member previously playing footy. I try to stay out of it and let him do his own thing.

“He’s in a good place now and seems happy.”

Carter spent four seasons at Canterbury after joining the club as a teenager in their under-18 SG Ball squad.

He languished in the NSW Cup last year and with the Bulldogs having a plethora of forward talent, decided to make the move north.

“Paul, John (Cartwright) and myself had a yarn and we thought there’d be an opportunity there (Titans),” said Steve, who will be at Cronulla on Monday.

“Canterbury wanted to retain him but we had to look at what was best for Paul. Gold Coast has a good setup and in the back-row they’re getting a bit thin over the next few years.

“It was more of a strategic move to head there and get the opportunity he needed.”

Carter was one of the Gold Coast’s best in their final trial loss to the Cowboys, cementing a spot on the bench as a back-up to Beau Falloon.

DIEHARD
07-03-14, 04:27 PM
NRL.com Late Mail.

Sharks v Titans

Sharks: Todd Carney is battling a hamstring injury, with Wade Graham likely to replace him at five-eighth. Beau Ryan is in doubt with a neck injury.

Titans: Ryan James is unlikely to play due to a shoulder injury.

DIEHARD
07-03-14, 04:41 PM
Sharks pack set to rumble

CRONULLA Sharks captain Paul Gallen and former team-mate, Gold Coast prop Luke Douglas, command plenty of statistical interest leading into Monday night's NRL opener at Remondis Stadium.

Their input for their respective forward packs, however, will prove even more telling.

Gallen takes over second spot on the Sharks most prolific list of NRL players when he lines up for his 233rd NRL game.

He passes David Peachey, but he might not catch No. 1 ET (former international Andrew Ettingshausen who played 328 first grade games for the Sharks).

Douglas, older brother of Southern Districts Australian Wallaby forward Kane Douglas, passes Jason Taylor's record of 194 consecutive first grade games on Monday, and Taylor will be there.

As "ironman Douggie" also never missed a Jersey Flegg or under 20s game, he probably played more than 240 straight games since coming from Yamba to the Sharks 11 years ago.

All this, however, will be forgotten as the big Titans forward pack headed by Douglas and Test stars Nate Myles and Greg Bird seek to dominate their rivals, missing Luke Lewis, Anthony Tupou and Chris Heighington. The Titans have a more experienced bench, too.

Gallen says he is "fighting fit" despite missing weights and gym sessions preparing for his pro fight debut a few weeks ago.

But the Sharks could miss Todd Carney, still battling to be fit after his latest hamstring injury, and with half Jeff Robson already on the sidelines.

And Wade Graham had to return early from the Sharks' Kiama training camp this week to see the medico (to treat an infected boil).

Blake Ayshford, Daniel Holdsworth and Matt Prior make their club debuts, with newcomers Tinirau Arona and Siosaia Vave expected to battle for the last spot in the Sharks 17.

Sharks play Gold Coast Titans, 7pm, Monday, Remondis Stadium

http://www.theleader.com.au

DIEHARD
07-03-14, 06:45 PM
Todd Carney is racing the clock to be fit, as is winger Beau Ryan, however despite the setbacks the Sharks are quietly confident of success when they tackle the Gold Coast Titans in their season-opener on Monday night at Remondis Satdium.

In a clash that mirrors the round one match up from 12 months prior, where the Sharks scored an emotional 12-10 victory, the home team is well equipped to cover for their injured personnel.

The acquisition of Daniel Holdsworth in the off-season is set to reap immediate benefits, with the experienced play maker set to play a key role, while the return of Ricky Leutele and the recent signing of Eric Grothe Junior has added considerably to the backline depth at the club.

Both Grothe and Leutele will come into calculations should Ryan be ruled out, while a replacement in the halves for Carney is yet to be determined. Most likely Wade Graham would revert to play in a position he is more than familiar with after coming through the junior grades as a five eighth.

On a positive note, the Sharks will go into the match on Monday boasting two of the most destructive forwards in the game, with skipper Paul Gallen and Australian and NSW front rower Andrew Fifita to lead the way in the middle of the field.

Sharks fans will also get their first ‘official’ glimpse of newcomers Blake Ayshford and Matt Prior, with the pair impressing all concerned at the Auckland Nines.

The game will be significant on a number of fronts, not only for the two competition points on offer, but in celebrating a couple of the most respected forwards in rugby league.

Former Sharks and now Titans forward Luke Douglas is set to break the consecutive NRL games record held by Jason Taylor, while Cronulla captain Gallen climbs to second on the Sharks list of total games played for the club.

Gallen was tied with David Peachey on 232 games played at the conclusion of 2013 but on Monday night will jump past former Sharks fullback David Peachey to trial only club immortal Andrew Ettingshausen as the second-most capped player in club history.

As for Douglas, the NRL has produced a tribute video in recognition of his special achievement, with more than 140 NRL games played for the Sharks before his move to the Gold Coast in 2012.

And ahead of the season kickoff it’s not too late to become a Sharks member for the upcoming season, with both ticketed and non-ticketed memberships still available in a variety of categories.

Seated memberships in the Monty Porter and Peter Burns Stands, as well as in the Eastern Concourse, can be purchased, along with general admission memberships for adults, children/concession and family.

Shark Net memberships, offering, are also available, so why not include the Sharks season-opener against the Titans in a five game Sharks Net package and come along to the game on Monday night. Memberships can be secured by visiting the dedicated members section of the Sharks website at www.sharks.com.au/meberships.

With a large crowd, and significantly a big walk up crowd expected, the best way to ensure a speedy entry into Remondis Stadium is to order your tickets online.

Pre-purchased tickets also represent a saving on the ‘at the gate’ ticket price. Visit www.ticketek.com.au/sharks to pre-purchase for Monday night.

The game against the Titans is scheduled for a 7.00pm kickoff on Monday, with NYC getting underway at 4.45pm.

http://www.sharks.com.au

Hail Sezer
07-03-14, 06:54 PM
Carney has been ruled out

DIEHARD
07-03-14, 07:59 PM
Carney has been ruled out

Huzzah! Big boost to the Titans.

teke
07-03-14, 10:06 PM
I was hoping carney played, I wanna see where the titans are at early in the season.

TITAN PETE
08-03-14, 08:18 AM
James is now looking likely to play but will need to pass a fitness test on Monday morning

DIEHARD
09-03-14, 08:36 PM
One game remains. All eyes will be on the Gold Coast Titans and Cronulla Sharks.

K2G
09-03-14, 09:47 PM
James is now looking likely to play but will need to pass a fitness test on Monday morning

interesting. So who drops out if James plays? I guess White, but i hope Mini. Either way, i hope James plays, but even if he doesn't - we should win this one.

DIEHARD
09-03-14, 10:13 PM
I'm feeling more confident about this match today. The inclusion of Ryan would be excellent.

Smakked
09-03-14, 10:59 PM
Glad Carney isnt playing but like teke said would be good to see how we handle someone like that, i think we should win but a low score.

We should beat the Tigers by 40 next week , they have along way to go after watching them today

DIEHARD
10-03-14, 12:53 AM
WHILE on Douglas, on Monday night he breaks the NRL record for most consecutive games played, previously held by former North Sydney halfback Jason Taylor.

You can understand how Taylor went 194 games straight, given he wasn’t exactly renowned for churning through 30 tackles a game, but what is interesting is that Douglas is taking the record back to its hardworking origins.

When the record first surfaced in the public eye, it was because of a Parramatta prop called Roy Fisher, who played 170 straight from 1952-62.

The Illawarra Steelers inaugural hooker, the fabulously moustached Michael Bolt then broke it with 187 games (all grades included then) from 1982-90.

Then Taylor came and ruined it with 194 between (1992-2000), before Dougie rides to the rescue for the forwards brigade on Monday night.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au

Smakked
10-03-14, 07:37 AM
Staying positive today, titans but 6.
I just hope we have a good go and can make use of the new rules, hope we are fit enough seems alot of teams in the first round struggled to play the full 80

TITAN PETE
10-03-14, 10:09 AM
Game day i feel some what confident of starting the season on a winning note , fingers crossed more importantly "no injuries" after watching the Knights & Eagles go down like shot ducks on Saturday ..

TITAN PETE
10-03-14, 10:12 AM
Sharks v Titans preview
By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent
NRL.com
6:30am Mon 10th March, 2014

Sharks v Titans
Remondis Stadium
Monday 7pm (AEDT)

If legendary baseball manager Yogi Berra was preparing either of these teams for their Round 1 clash at Remondis Stadium he'd simply say this: "It's deja vu all over again."

Sharks coach Shane Flanagan has had his 12-month provisional suspension upheld and as the ASADA investigation has drawn to a close players remain on tenterhooks as to any potential infraction notices.

The Titans watched a high-profile player walk away during the off-season and are rapidly trying to construct a backline to complement a forward pack laden with representative stars.

Twelve months ago the Sharks' 12-10 triumph was described as the "most emotion-charged" in the club's 46-year history and there's little doubt the Titans will be expecting a similar reception to start 2014.

In matters to be settled on the field, both teams head into their opening game with dark injury clouds hanging over their heads. The home side will be without influential back-rower Luke Lewis for the opening month, Todd Carney has succumbed to a hamstring injury and Beau Ryan is out with a neck injury. For the Titans, boom prop Ryan James will be assessed on Monday to see whether he has sufficiently recovered from a shoulder injury.

The absence of Carney sees a shift for Wade Graham from the back row to five-eighth where he will partner the returning Daniel Holdsworth in the halves as Jeff Robson is also sidelined with a broken cheekbone. Ricky Leutele comes onto the wing in place of Ryan.

The return of Holdsworth after three years in the English Super League adds depth and experience to the Sharks' halves stocks and with former Wests Tiger Blake Ayshford making his club debut in the centres, there's plenty of potency to go with the grunt up front provided by Gallen, Fifita and Tagataese.

Like their Round 1 opponents, the Titans have bolstered their outside backs with the additions of Maurice Blair, Kalifa Faifai Loa and Brad Tighe, who arrived on the Gold Coast from Penrith in the new year in a virtual straight swap for Jamal Idris.

Rookie Paul Carter was brought in from the Bulldogs as back-up for the back-rowers but coach John Cartwright immediately started adding some versatility to his game by spending time at dummy-half and it may prove a masterstroke. With experienced No.9 Matt Srama working his way back from shoulder surgery, Carter could be Cartwright's saviour on the bench given his form in the pre-season.

Cronulla captain Paul Gallen will become the second-most capped Sharks player of all-time, moving past David Peachey to sit on 233 games. Club legend Andrew Ettingshausen holds the record with 328 games.

Watch Out Sharks: As has been the case for each of the eight pre-seasons of his career to date, much attention has been focused on the fitness of enigmatic back-rower Dave Taylor. The verdict? He's as fit as he has ever been heading into Round 1.

With a new-found love of surfing and wife Ashlee studying nutrition, Taylor is set to start 2014 in the same destructive fashion in which he finished last season. At his best there are few players in the NRL who are more difficult to contain than Taylor and if the Titans are to seriously push for premiership glory, they need their one-time Kangaroos representative firing more often than not.

A calf complaint kept the 'Coal Train' confined to the altitude chamber for the early part of the pre-season and when he went down on the opening day of the Auckland Nines the Titans medical staff immediately assumed the worst. It turned out to be a knock on the knee that ruled him out of day two but the engine is fully stoked ahead of the season proper.

Watch Out Titans: With two codes and a host of clubs all clamouring to have brunch with his manager, the best way for Andrew Fifita to add a zero or two to his next contract is to start 2014 in the exact same manner he finished 2013.

A Wests Tiger just three years ago, Fifita became arguably the most influential big man in the game in his second season at the Sharks last year. His total of 3949 running metres for the season was almost 500 more than the next best (Brisbane's Corey Parker) and his nine tries were the most by a Sharks player and equal to that of Brett Stewart, Anthony Milford and Brett Morris.

Whether coach Peter Sharp promotes him to the starting pack or utilises him as a shock weapon from the bench remains to be seen but backing up from his exploits of last year will be the biggest challenge of his career so far.

Plays To Watch: Brad Tighe brings something that the Titans haven't had in the centres for a number of years; pure speed. With Greg Bird rough-housing anyone who tries to stop his progress down the left edge, look for Tighe to follow his co-captain closely for any offloads that come his way.

Although Flanagan's influence is supposed to have been diminished, with his assistant Peter Sharp promoted to the top job expect the Sharks to use a similar structure to that which had them on the verge of the top four in 2013. A powerful forward pack is also loaded with skill which is the perfect foundation for Holdsworth and Graham to instigate second-phase play and create space for their outside men.

Where It Will Be Won: Nothing would give Luke Douglas more satisfaction than to come home to the club where he spent the first six years of his career and celebrate breaking the record for most consecutive appearances currently held by Jason Taylor with a Titans win. If that is to happen he and the Gold Coast forwards will need to earn their side ascendancy in the middle of the park.

With Gallen, Fifita, Gibbs and Tagataese all ripping into their work in front of their home fans, the Titans workhorses will not only have to find a way to contain them but also create some opportunities of their own.

With the offloading of Gallen and Graham, footwork and power of Fifita and speed of Tagataese, the Sharks have a greater array of weapons to ask questions of the opposition defence and create more scoring opportunities for the men out wide.

The History: Played 10; Sharks 6, Titans 4. Although meetings between these two sides have been rare over the past six years, it is the Sharks who hold the edge having won four of the past five encounters. The first six games from 2008 all went with the home side and the Titans have only once tasted success at Remondis Stadium (20-16, Rd 22, 2011).

What Are The Odds: Punters give the Titans a huge hope of an upset with money slightly in their favour. They’re $2.20 outsiders with Sportsbet.com.au.

Match Officials: Referees – Jared Maxwell & Grant Atkins; Sideline Officials – Chris James & Luke Potter; Video Referees – Luke Phillips & Ben Galea.

Televised: Fox Sports – Live 7pm (AEDT).

The Way We See It: There's something about a Monday night in the Shire that visiting teams find inhospitable and the home side thrives on. The battle of the forward packs should be a beauty but the loss of Carney is a significant blow to the Sharks' hopes. This will be a drag-em-out, tough-as-nails battle to the end, but the stability of the Titans halves might just be enough. Titans by 4 points.

Bayside Titan
10-03-14, 01:07 PM
Game day i feel some what confident of starting the season on a winning note , fingers crossed more importantly "no injuries" after watching the Knights & Eagles go down like shot ducks on Saturday ..

Yeah I prey for no injuries. A win by two points will enough for me.

DIEHARD
10-03-14, 01:42 PM
Really gonna be hauling ass getting back in time to watch this game. Starts at 4pm my time!

CoastSportsFan
10-03-14, 02:12 PM
Is Ryan James going to play tonight?

GCT_89
10-03-14, 02:14 PM
Just a reminder to everyone that this is a 7pm(nsw) kick-off not 7:30....
Which makes that 6pm(qld) Gold Coast time....

CoastSportsFan
10-03-14, 06:34 PM
Carty just said no James and no Srama tonight.

DIEHARD
10-03-14, 06:39 PM
Just a reminder to everyone that this is a 7pm(nsw) kick-off not 7:30....
Which makes that 6pm(qld) Gold Coast time....

Vital info!

I'm rushing home to watch this. Literally pounding the pavement.

DIEHARD
10-03-14, 07:12 PM
Damn missed the first 10mins, what did I miss?

DIEHARD
10-03-14, 07:13 PM
Go for the try, dont go for goal.

Good boys.

DIEHARD
10-03-14, 07:14 PM
Bloody hell Blair was close to calling, but last ditch tackle by Graham.

Zllman does a bit of a nothing chip, no one knew it was on, but Zillman managed to take the Sharkie out once he got into the field of play.

Nick
10-03-14, 07:15 PM
Blair is useless, does not even exercise the option of using his winger and makes for an easy read!

DIEHARD
10-03-14, 07:16 PM
Damn, awesome effort by Falloon at dummy half, looks like Gallen dislodged the ball unfortunately.

Boofhead
10-03-14, 07:19 PM
Soft. So soft.

Bayside Titan
10-03-14, 07:19 PM
Sharks get our half and score. Grhrg

Bayside Titan
10-03-14, 07:20 PM
Can somebody see an attacking
Play at all????

Bayside Titan
10-03-14, 07:21 PM
Falloon is playing well.

Nick
10-03-14, 07:22 PM
Very soft, silly of Kelly to go for the intercept in that scenario.

DIEHARD
10-03-14, 07:23 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/sharks2_zps6c34bc2d.jpg

So close.

Bayside Titan
10-03-14, 07:24 PM
Like Bird and Gallen going head to head.

Bayside Titan
10-03-14, 07:24 PM
Fffaaaaasrrrrrrrkkkkk

Bayside Titan
10-03-14, 07:27 PM
FfffaaaRRRRRKKKKK AGAIN

DIEHARD
10-03-14, 07:27 PM
Lucky.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/sharks3_zps9a4e38b1.jpg

DIEHARD
10-03-14, 07:28 PM
Well we botched that one.

Bayside Titan
10-03-14, 07:28 PM
Can somebody run in support of Kelly or Taylor please ?

Bayside Titan
10-03-14, 07:31 PM
Thank god for that.

Brock O'Brien
10-03-14, 07:31 PM
Can somebody run in support of Kelly or Taylor please ?

*and make sure they catch the ball

Bayside Titan
10-03-14, 07:32 PM
On a side note. The away strip looks good.

Nick
10-03-14, 07:33 PM
Pretty good game this, I don't like our defence close to the line but it's been pretty exciting

DIEHARD
BIRDY!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/birdie_zpsfc76ae61.jpg

Boofhead
Loving the line breaks, look more likely 70m out rather than 10.

DIEHARD
10-03-14, 07:34 PM
On a side note. The away strip looks good.

Looks classy as all hell.

Only thing it needs is names on the back. Is there any NRL rule stopping clubs breaking ranks and adding player names?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/jersey1_zps2ea5e7bb.jpg

DIEHARD
10-03-14, 07:43 PM
Great hands and intercept by Alby, we got away with it though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/alby_zps076435f7.jpg

Boofhead
10-03-14, 07:44 PM
Alby you little beauty!

Boofhead
10-03-14, 07:45 PM
Carter looking the goods.

Nick
I like the look of carter, he is really putting his all into it and can offload well

Bayside Titan
Yeah Jersey looks good.

One surprise is that we have done a few offloads.

Bayside Titan
10-03-14, 07:46 PM
Whites playing strong as well.

teke
10-03-14, 07:51 PM
Horrible clash of strips, I'm sure some of the sharks players think the titans are them until they are tackled

ozynorts
10-03-14, 07:54 PM
As much as it pains me to say it, I have noticed Zillman in support a few times tonight which is good to see. Gordon needs to catch those balls in the air. I know the intercept try looked great but if Alby keeps running out of the line like that we are going to leak a lot of tries down that side again this year.

CoastSportsFan
10-03-14, 07:55 PM
Sharks have had a few really rough calls in the first half but I'll take a 4 point lead at half time. What the hell were they doing when no one was playing dummy half on the fifth tackle and when the ball was thrown to no one from dummy half on the fifth tackle? Lucky to be in front but I'll take it.

Mexican titan
10-03-14, 07:58 PM
As much as it pains me to say it, I have noticed Zillman in support a few times tonight which is good to see. Gordon needs to catch those balls in the air. I know the intercept try looked great but if Alby keeps running out of the line like that we are going to leak a lot of tries down that side again this year.

Good summary. I am quite happy so far that the attack is a little less obvious than last year. Long way to go but it's the first game. Zilly has backed up well a few times so credit where it is due. Even though I am watching Fox those screen shots you are adding DH are great and great for people that are not watching. Glad to see gallen go off.
Now, can we put together another 40 minutes. Please.

DIEHARD
10-03-14, 07:59 PM
Horrible clash of strips, I'm sure some of the sharks players think the titans are them until they are tackled

Even featuring double dark shorts.

DIEHARD
10-03-14, 08:00 PM

He is a good support player. One of my all time favourite players, Darren Smith was a fantastic support player and scored most of his tries off it.

DIEHARD
10-03-14, 08:03 PM
**** bad news for NSW, Kangaroos and Sharks if he is going to be on the sidelines long term.

Bayside Titan
10-03-14, 08:04 PM
Even featuring double dark shorts.

You're only happy cause the jersey looks like Brothers jerseys;-)

Bayside Titan
10-03-14, 08:04 PM
**** bad news for NSW, Kangaroos and Sharks if he is going to be on the sidelines long term.

Sorry NSW.

DIEHARD
10-03-14, 08:08 PM
You're only happy cause the jersey looks like Brothers jerseys;-)

It is reminecent indeed!

DIEHARD
10-03-14, 08:09 PM
Alby robbed!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/alby4_zps30d3e0c1.jpg

Toads
10-03-14, 08:12 PM
If the Refs are going to start to deny tries like that of Alby's. Then we're in for a bit of strife

DIEHARD
10-03-14, 08:14 PM
Oh Meady. Nearly.

DIEHARD
10-03-14, 08:20 PM
Yea looked like a clean Sharks try to me.

Boofhead
10-03-14, 08:21 PM
Why are we losing this game.

Toads
2014, another season to be ****ed over by Refs

Mt Smart
Dam. Off a turn over frustrating.
Turning a Refs call over is meant to be conclusive Video evidence that looked ok but they can't even rule on forward pass calls so....looks ok isn't the idea of the conclusive rule.

DIEHARD
10-03-14, 08:23 PM
Cheap shot on Zillman by Vave.

DIEHARD
10-03-14, 08:26 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/vave_zps77787825.jpg
Vave on Zillmam

DIEHARD
10-03-14, 08:31 PM
Getting stitched up here folks

Toads
10-03-14, 08:31 PM
Seems they (Refs) wanna gift the Sharkies this win..

Mt Smart
10-03-14, 08:32 PM
Rub of the green doesn't cover it for the poor call , unfair contest for the ball...good job the Sharkies drop the ball.

teke
10-03-14, 08:32 PM
I'm enjoying it, refs want carty gone aswell. Struggling vs a gallen and carney less sharks

Mt Smart
10-03-14, 08:37 PM
Taylor getting shoved over while at the PTB right in front of the Ref.

gotitans101_
10-03-14, 08:37 PM
lmao, we're just as bad as we were the last 3 years.

Boofhead
10-03-14, 08:40 PM
Hope meady hasn't done his jaw again.

DIEHARD
10-03-14, 08:43 PM
We are in!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/zillyw_zps884623e8.jpg

Mt Smart
10-03-14, 08:43 PM
hows the state of Wade Graham (sp) Sir ...sir is that a head knock ? send him off "

DIEHARD
10-03-14, 08:45 PM
Sezer goes for a long range fg effort.

DIEHARD
10-03-14, 08:46 PM
hows the state of Wade Graham (sp) Sir ...sir is that a head knock ? send him off "

That was very cheeky.

Bayside Titan
10-03-14, 08:48 PM
Why are we losing this game.

Cartwright is the answer.

DIEHARD
10-03-14, 08:49 PM
Looking optimistic here.

Bayside Titan
10-03-14, 08:52 PM
Is like to see the centres given good ball rather than just passed the ball and expected to do something with it.

Bayside Titan
10-03-14, 08:53 PM
Sloppy win. But a win.

Mt Smart
10-03-14, 08:54 PM
Yes !
Happy about that. something went right this weekend with my teams.

DIEHARD
10-03-14, 08:54 PM
LOL great last second play Vave.

Well there we go, we start the season with a win, a scrappy and unconvincing one. But sets us up for a strong chance of a win at home against the Tigers. Gallen going down really helped us. I think we were the better team though.

Titanic Believer
10-03-14, 08:55 PM
Ugly ugly doesn't inspire confidence for the season to come

Skyfire
10-03-14, 08:55 PM
WE WIN

It feels good comrades, not fantastic but Ill take the two points. Was at time exciting thanks to Kelly.

teke
10-03-14, 08:58 PM
All the words that are ordinary = this game

lonegull
10-03-14, 09:01 PM
That's what you call winning ugly but you got to take the win we it is handed to you,

ozynorts
10-03-14, 09:01 PM
I liked the effort by the guys tonight. WillZill looked good tonight. Really really need to get Myles out of the front row. His hit ups are so slow. Lost count of the amount of times the commentators commented on the lack of attacking options by the Titans. Those second man plays may look pretty but unless you have some straight runners coming back at the line then all the defence has to do is slide.
The Sharks had Carney, Lewis, Robson and Gallen out and we only just scraped a win.
Take the points and hopefully we improve before next week.

teke
10-03-14, 09:05 PM
I thought zillman looked a yard slower than last yr. He is a big reason the team looks stunted inside the 30 and the fact he never a chimes into a right hand side play leaves Blair to do the winning play by himself

hammer
10-03-14, 09:07 PM
OMG...that was such a disjointed performance but with that we still won against a weakened Sharks outfit. Much work to be done with cohesion in attack. Our decoy runners look so timid and unlikely to get the ball that the defence just slid off to runner. MUST USE TAYLOR more often as a decoy runner or to actually hit him short....apart from that we just don't seem to have a threatening wide runner.
Have never seen our back three drop so much ball...messy!
I thought Blair was good in defence and despite not having much opportunity with the ball did ok.
Carter was solid but tried too hard and pushed a few passes...but will be better for the run!
In attack we seemed too flat and lacked width.
Positive....it was our first game...it was away....we played ordinary....and we still won!

Mexican titan
10-03-14, 09:09 PM
[QUOTE=DIEHARD;338693]LOL great last second play Vave.

My family all broke up laughing with that last play. Would have to go down as one of the dummest things I have seen for a few years.

CoastSportsFan
10-03-14, 09:09 PM
If that kick hadn't have ricocheted into Zilly's hands then it was definitely going to golden point. Got lucky this week guys but we can't rely on luck in the future.

Mexican titan
10-03-14, 09:14 PM
OMG...that was such a disjointed performance but with that we still won against a weakened Sharks outfit. Much work to be done with cohesion in attack. Our decoy runners look so timid and unlikely to get the ball that the defence just slid off to runner. MUST USE TAYLOR more often as a decoy runner or to actually hit him short....apart from that we just don't seem to have a threatening wide runner.
Have never seen our back three drop so much ball...messy!
I thought Blair was good in defence and despite not having much opportunity with the ball did ok.

I'm with you mate. Yes I agree with most of the negative comments made by others but let's enjoy the win. To me it is a good sign to play pretty ordinary but still win away and I thought there were a few better signs in attack. Alby an obvious man of the match. If we knock over the Tigers a 2-0 start would be very handy.

Smakked
10-03-14, 09:16 PM
That was painful to watch, a win is a win, but it is like watching the same game s i was watching 3 years ago WTF?

teke
10-03-14, 09:18 PM
That was painful to watch, a win is a win, but it is like watching the same game s i was watching 3 years ago WTF?last negative comment from me, it was horrible to watch. Solid bottom 8 effort.

DIEHARD
10-03-14, 09:22 PM
Gold Coast Titans upset Cronulla Sharks 18-12 at Remondis Stadium

CRONULLA’S difficult start to the 2014 NRL season continued on Monday with the Gold Coast recording an 18-12 win over the Sharks at Remondis Stadium.

With coach Shane Flanagan failing in his appeal to overturn a 12-month ban from the NRL last week, the Sharks, already without Todd Carney, Jeff Robson, Beau Ryan and Chris Heighington, lost talismanic skipper Paul Gallen with a potentially serious ankle injury.

Gallen, who was celebrating his 233rd appearance for the Sharks - second behind club great Andrew Ettingshausen - was helped off late in the first half after being held up in a tackle by Titans duo Luke Bailey and Matt White.

The Titans were deserving winners, claiming the two points with a William Zillman try nine minutes from time following a smart grubber-kick from former Shark Albert Kelly.

John Cartwright’s side dominated the opening exchanges but had nothing to show for their dominance and the hosts took the lead against the run of play when new signing Tinirau Arona darted over from close range.

Michael Gordon added the extras to open up a 6-0 lead, but the outstanding Greg Bird, another former Shark, helped level the scores when he bulldozed his way over the line after 25 minutes before Kelly raced away with 90-metre interception for four points.

Titans five-eighth Aidan Sezer missed the kick, giving the visitors a 10-6 lead at halftime.

The second half saw the Sharks control the early passages of play and they regained the lead when Wade Graham’s effort - disallowed by the on-field officials - was overruled by the video referee and Gordon kicked the goal.

A Sezer penalty put the Titans back on level terms before fullback Zillman got the final touch to Kelly’s kick to give his side a winning start to the new campaign.

Titans prop Luke Douglas set a new record with his 195th successive NRL match.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au

ozynorts
10-03-14, 09:25 PM
OMG...that was such a disjointed performance and we still won!

I really hope we are not still saying that in 6 weeks time.... :drinkies:

Tamwelg
10-03-14, 09:32 PM
I've worked my butt off and only just got it up now. Player Profiles will be modified later, just threw them together to get it up.

Moejoe Award / Player of the Year

http://www.leagueoftitans.com.au/poty.php

Link also in main menu in under the home tab.

ozynorts
10-03-14, 09:41 PM
I've worked my butt off and only just got it up now. Player Profiles will be modified later, just threw them together to get it up.

Link also in main menu in under the home tab.
cool, voted already

Titanic
10-03-14, 09:59 PM
I wasn't going to comment at all but a win is a win :)

but gee we were terrible … terrible like 2011, terrible like 2012, terrible like 2013 … terribly disappointing.

Toads
10-03-14, 10:13 PM
Woohoo.. We made the Top 8!

Bayside Titan
10-03-14, 10:36 PM
Woohoo.. We made the Top 8!

Stop the comp now and give Carty an upgrade. :-)

TITAN PETE
10-03-14, 10:43 PM
Ugly win but it was a win , love Birds aggression but we look like a team that has just been thrown together a couple of weeks ago , Kelly's natural attacking ability was the difference & I would love to see DT play the start of the match like he was in the last 5 minutes...would be unstoppable if he actually ran at speed..

gotitans101_
10-03-14, 10:49 PM
I thought Bird and Sezer were our best tonight, Alby not far behind. Our 5th tackle options though haven't improved from the last 3 seasons which doesn't give me much hope for the season unfortunately.

DavidBouveng
10-03-14, 11:08 PM
agreed, bird tried his ass off all night, Alby was dangerous too. Zilly was timing runs pretty badly, but he did show some guts to keep going up for it after getting smashed in the throat.

we still waste too many tackles just killing the ball when we are in the 20m zone.

Gordon is coming off a pretty good year, is dangerous chasing kicks, but man he does come in alot and leaves huge space behind him. alot of wingers do, and need to to play the compressed defense, but he is on another level. were very lucky to get away with one when wright stepped on the line.

a win against a top 6 fancy, (albeit with injuries) away from home first up, ill take that and move on. smash the tigers in the bastard sun next week and we 2-0.

DavidBouveng
10-03-14, 11:11 PM
also, i think both teams fans would be upset at the refs, but gee we copped some rubbish. most of their sloppy play the balls resulted in unfair penalties against us, until the very last one by fifita.

Zill was getting manhandled off the ball all night.

was very frustrating to watch, was looking forward to this game all week, all summer really, but it just a stressfest for me.

GCT_89
10-03-14, 11:19 PM
Ordinary game to watch...
I'm ok with the Mead no try (when a player loses the ball they must regain it with both hands...)
What happened with Bryce Gibbs and Nate Myles?? or did no one else see that blood? lol

TITAN PETE
10-03-14, 11:26 PM
I'm ok with the Mead no try (when a player loses the ball they must regain it with both hands...)
What happened with Bryce Gibbs and Nate Myles?? or did no one else see that blood? lol

That was Kelly & I don't mind either as long as they're consistent with the ruling just like a shoulder charge should be & I expect Fifta to. Get 3 weeks as SBW did..

That was a lot of claret coming from Gibbs scone , looked like a scene from the Walking Dead

DIEHARD
11-03-14, 01:24 AM
Titans down injury-hit Sharks

With coach Shane Flanagan failing in his appeal to overturn a 12-month ban from the NRL last week, the Sharks, already without Todd Carney, Jeff Robson, Beau Ryan and Chris Heighington, lost talismanic skipper Paul Gallen with a potentially serious ankle injury.

Gallen, who was celebrating his 233rd appearance for the Sharks - second behind club great Andrew Ettingshausen - was helped off late in the first half after being held up in a tackle by Titans duo Luke Bailey and Matt White.

The Titans were deserving winners, claiming the two points with a William Zillman try nine minutes from time following a smart grubber-kick from former Shark Albert Kelly.

John Cartwright's side dominated the opening exchanges but had nothing to show for their dominance and the hosts took the lead against the run of play when new signing Tinirau Arona darted over from close range.

Michael Gordon added the extras to open up a 6-0 lead, but the outstanding Greg Bird, another former Shark, helped level the scores when he bulldozed his way over the line after 25 minutes before Kelly raced away with 90-metre interception for four points.

Titans five-eighth Aidan Sezer missed the kick, giving the visitors a 10-6 lead at halftime.

The second half saw the Sharks control the early passages of play and they regained the lead when Wade Graham's effort - disallowed by the on-field officials - was overruled by the video referee and Gordon kicked the goal.

A Sezer penalty put the Titans back on level terms before fullback Zillman got the final touch to Kelly's kick to give his side a winning start to the new campaign.

Titans prop Luke Douglas set a new record with his 195th successive NRL match.

http://www.nrl.com/

DIEHARD
11-03-14, 01:26 AM
<script height="314px" width="558px" src="http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.js#pbid=81bf83eab75d4bf3af515695a41e5b38&ec=8wdTM0bDpjLFSP4MBYku5XnAsv0ETbFS"></script>

Sharks v Titans match hightlights.

Supergoose
11-03-14, 09:55 AM
Agree with the negative comments on here but happy to get the W. Our edges were poor and we need a lot more depth when we're attacking the line. The Sharks basically rested easy while we attached their line as they didn't need to retreat far each time. The first pass should be sent back behind the 10 m line and then some attacking structures from there - make the other team come up further off the line. We nearly lost an un-losable game to a team that managed to play worse than we did. I think our edge back rowers need to take more responsibility for our attacking shape and they need to run the hard lines to open it up for our "speed" men out wide. I though Blair was the better of the two centres impact wise but neither impressed. Our ball movement is so pedestrian. Hopefully Ridge and James come in to fix up the lack of straight running we showed which should help. I couldn't quite work out what we were supposed to be doing at some stages. The bright point was the cameo by Paul Carter, he really sparked things up. I thought Zillman was ordinary and also the key reason that the left side was so easily covered as he offered nothing inside the attacking zone until the second half. I don't know what's happening out there, but some sort of formation and direction inside the red zone would be nice.

Boonarga
11-03-14, 11:25 AM

Unless the rules have changed recently that has never been the rule. According to the laws of the game that was a try.

Boonarga
11-03-14, 11:32 AM
Bird, how bad would we be without his effort every week?
Zillman, the guy will back up and run support plays all day but it's only about one in 20 times that he times it correctly. That inside play (Slater type) in the second half was the worst I've ever seen in first grade.

It's two points and we are likely to get another two this week but the game was horrid. The guys tried and they never gave up, but the lack of quality coaching is obvious to all but the blind.

titanfan1980
11-03-14, 11:46 AM
Agree with a lot of the comments on here our shape was quite poor out wide ill re watch tonight and try to see why.. One thing I thought more people would have noticed is how little impact harro has at all now.. He's defense is great but geez his runs are lack luster I'm sure ridge would do a way better job. And also please put Ryan James back in to start and drop Myles to the back row his hits up are so soft it's painful to watch

hammer
11-03-14, 12:44 PM
Agree with a lot of the comments on here our shape was quite poor out wide ill re watch tonight and try to see why.. One thing I thought more people would have noticed is how little impact harro has at all now.. He's defense is great but geez his runs are lack luster I'm sure ridge would do a way better job. And also please put Ryan James back in to start and drop Myles to the back row his hits up are so soft it's painful to watch

I noticed it as well titanfan1980...Harro looked old on that paddock last night! Myles looked tired...the lack of a preseason run affected him and he did well considering, but Harro just looked slower and old.

Smakked
11-03-14, 12:46 PM
Has anyone seen the Press Confernece after the game?
I havent just seeing if anyone knows what carty said about it all ?

AM i going to loose my **** if i watch it ?

TITAN PETE
11-03-14, 01:05 PM

Agree 100% on Harro he offers nothing except making 30 tackles a game , swap him for Ridge & James comes in for Minnichello, i don't think Myles is a prop he never looks like he'll break the line the way he seems to casually stroll into the defence..

TITAN PETE
11-03-14, 01:27 PM
Fifita faces 2-3 week ban

NRL.com
12:21pm Tue 11th March, 2014

Sharks prop Andrew Fifita faces up to three weeks on the sideline after being charged with a Grade 2 shoulder charge during Monday night's 18-12 loss to Gold Coast.

Fifita has until 12pm on Wednesday to decide whether to contest the charge, or take the early guilty and miss two games.

The reigning Dally M Prop of the Year follows Roosters star Sonny Bill Williams as the second player charged with committing a shoulder charge over the weekend.

Williams accepted the early guilty plea on Monday, and will serve three matches.

Sharks fullback Michael Gordon was also cited for tripping but won't miss any games, but forward Siosaia Vave wasn't as lucky, charged with making dangerous contact on Titans fullback William Zillman in the 53rd minute. He will miss this week's clash with the Bulldogs unless he defeats the charge at the judiciary.

Toads
11-03-14, 01:55 PM

I tend to try 'n avoid our post game pressers. I've grown tired of the same old mundane excuses from Carty. Luckily for him, he got the pay rise last year before Christmas to help cope with pressure of giving them.

Titanic
11-03-14, 06:20 PM
Harrison should not be in the team but then again nor should Minichiello … and Zillman whilst Blair and Tighe are really borderline. Myles is obviously still injured … he was awful.

DIEHARD
11-03-14, 07:18 PM

<script height="314px" width="558px" src="http://player.ooyala.com/iframe.js#ec=wzNG4zbDqQemPGU5GjacPtDNkoH19LXY&pbid=81bf83eab75d4bf3af515695a41e5b38"></script>

DavidBouveng
11-03-14, 07:54 PM
Ive said harro was gone for well over a year. Mal thought so last year and left him out of the origin side, which has been loyal almost to a fault.

Harro does three things - makes tackles, gets in the way and kills a tackle when we attacking the line, and gives away penalties.

Time for new blood - Ridge please, on an edge and Birdman to lock.

DavidBouveng
11-03-14, 07:55 PM
Unless the rules have changed recently that has never been the rule. According to the laws of the game that was a try.

It changed about 3 years ago. if it slips out of your control, you cant slam it down or simultaneous putdown, needs to be controlled again to be a try.

Mexican titan
11-03-14, 08:41 PM
Ive said harro was gone for well over a year. Mal thought so last year and left him out of the origin side, which has been loyal almost to a fault.

Harro does three things - makes tackles, gets in the way and kills a tackle when we attacking the line, and gives away penalties.

Time for new blood - Ridge please, on an edge and Birdman to lock.

Even though I support NSW in Origin I could never understand how Harro stayed in the team for so long and I thought the fact that they kept winning took away some examination of individual performances. Certainly he is always good for conceding a penalty or two every game.
I am pleased that Fifita got suspended as I thought his shoulder charge to Meady's head was far worse than $onny Bill Williams shoulder charge and could have resulted in serious damage. Vave has also been charged but it was for contact on Zilly rather than for stupidity. My family are still joking about his hit up as the siren was sounding.:laugh:

Boonarga
11-03-14, 09:30 PM
It changed about 3 years ago. if it slips out of your control, you cant slam it down or simultaneous putdown, needs to be controlled again to be a try.

Thanks. Long time since I sat the badge exam.

C-Whiz
11-03-14, 10:39 PM
Just got back from O/S, so just watched the game.....

The Titans execution was about 4/10. We just managed to scrape home against a team that started without Carney and lost Gallen early, and we were really gifted the win. Sharks fans will be filthy, we were very lucky.

A win is a win, but that was about as unconvincing a win as I can remember for a while.

C-Whiz
11-03-14, 10:49 PM
:salute:

Link also in main menu in under the home tab.Tam, great work on a great improvement to the old forum.
You've created something special, something we all tend to take for granted until it goes missing, and yourself and others like DIEHARD and other people working behind the scenes don't get the kudos you deserve for the time and effort you put in.

Thanks to you all working away behind the scenes for being true fans of Rugby League and great supporters of the Titans and allowing people like myself the chance to enjoy this forum and everything you have helped create or improve, all through your hard work and personal sacrifice. :salute::salute::salute:

TitanBear
12-03-14, 08:43 AM
Yes, great work and thank you to Tamweig & Diehard and others instrumental in setting up this Forum.
On the 1st game of Season, I want to congratulate the NRL Team on their Win, it was a hard grafting win and so important to get early wins. Cronulla may have been without some stars but still their defence was outstanding, so to get win was great.
I prefer to be positive and thankful that we have a NRL team to support. my opinion only.
Cannot believe it but speed of the game has increased with new rules, especially around the ruck.