PDA

View Full Version : Scott Prince and a coaching role?

DIEHARD
02-02-14, 05:10 AM
THE cold war between the Titans and Scott Prince is over, with the Gold Coast club looking to bring their former captain back into the fold with an official off-field role.

Little more than a year after the foundation captain was squeezed out of the club he helped build, Prince returned "home" to Robina yesterday to take part in a Titans corporate touch football day.

It was the first public mending of the bridges that were incinerated last year during an acrimonious split that saw Prince join bitter rivals Brisbane.

Now retired, Prince is seen by new Titans boss Graham Annesley as a potential magnet to lure supporters and sponsors.

While Prince doesn't yet have an official role at the Titans, Annesley confirmed yesterday moves were afoot to renew links with their inaugural skipper and bring the former premiership captain, Origin and Test star home to the Coast.

"I've spoken to Scott about a role here at the club," Annesley said.

"There's no doubt he's one of the legends of this club. As a foundation player he's a very important part of the club's history and we'd like to have him involved."

It is a remarkable turn of events considering the circumstances that saw Prince's time on the Coast come to an abrupt and premature end.

Believing age had caught up with their halfback, the Titans were reluctant to grant him a contract extension so he could finish his career in Coast colours.

Instead, they released him from the final year of his contract, thinking he would finish his career with British Super League club Hull.

But he shocked then-Gold Coast chief executive David May and embarrassed the Titans by signing a deal with the Brisbane Broncos.

Both camps were left confused and disappointed over the bungled contract negotiations.

"They (the Titans) have moved forward and so have I," Prince said at the time.

"I wasn't gagged (by the Titans) at all. I just sat back and watched closely and it was crazy, it was a bit mad.

"Both parties, from my side and the Titans, would say it's disappointing how it's unfolded."

Prince joined his former Titans teammates at Cbus Super Stadium for the corporate touch day and Gold Coast junior rugby league sign-on event.

Despite battling through his final NRL season with the Broncos, Prince remains a favourite son on the Coast.

With Jamal Idris recently walking out on the club to join the Penrith Panthers, the Titans could use another big personality to help win over the region's young fans.

The Titans-hosted event attracted 16 corporate touch teams, but more importantly countless children poured into the venue to sign on for their first taste of junior league.

With junior registration days for winter sports in full swing, the Gold Coast has become a competitive market place.

Junior rugby league, soccer, rugby union and hockey are fighting for families' attention

Titans Co-captains Nate Myles and Greg Bird, veterans Luke Bailey and Ashley Harrison, and winger Kevin Gordon were among the pied pipers wooing juniors towards their code.

"This is rugby league heartland (at the Gold Coast) and it always has been. I think we'll have a very good year," Annesley said.

Source: http://www.news.com.au

DavidBouveng
02-02-14, 08:49 AM
this is awesome. hope they sort it out soon

he is our most recognisable face, and best speaker / identity.

Alby showed last year that prince leaving was a good thing, but it was a shame how it ended, and im glad they have patched it up.

Welcome home Scotty!

Mexican titan
02-02-14, 10:37 AM

Alby showed last year that prince leaving was a good thing, but it was a shame how it ended, and im glad they have patched it up.

Welcome home Scotty!

Well said DB.

Titanic
02-02-14, 11:43 AM
Now I can say that I've seen it all … who do you believe? Prince squeezed out by May is his version, May squeezed out by Searle … what a cluster fark our administration is.

kioli
03-02-14, 06:23 PM

Welcome home Scotty!

X1000

DIEHARD
03-02-14, 09:55 PM
Personalities aside, Im really not surprised to see this on the radar. I said earlier on the forum that it was a shame to see Prince leave the way he did, this will help the club but he needs a real job. We have had a string of former players and RL personalities with mickey mouse jobs who seem to fade away.

DIEHARD
03-02-14, 10:01 PM
Titans approach former captain Scott Prince about the possibility of an off-field role

TITANS coach John Cartwright says there's "no bad blood" between himself and Scott Prince and would welcome the Gold Coast's foundation skipper back to the club.

Prince has been approached by Titans boss Graham Annesley about a possible off-field role with the club.

Annesley is trying to mend the broken bridges between the Titans and their former favourite son.

Prince left the Gold Coast at the end of 2012 in unceremonious circumstances to join bitter rivals Brisbane after being told by Cartwright he was unwanted beyond 2013.

The two haven't spoken since but Cartwright said he held no ill will towards the man who captained his team for six years.

"There's definitely no bad blood from me or the club's angle and I don't think there is from his," he said.

"A lot of it was played out in the media. He's been around footy a long time. It was nothing personal and nothing was hidden from anyone. It was all out in the open.

"It's a shame because it was all about this year, and he ended up retiring anyway.

"It was a shame he couldn't finish his career at the Titans.

"There's not a lot to really patch up from my perspective."

It's hard to see Prince, who made a shock appearance at the Titans' corporate touch event on Saturday, returning to the club soon given his rocky relationship with Cartwright and former boss Michael Searle.

But he remains a key part of the club's legacy, having left the Wests Tigers to help found the Titans in 2007.

"I would have loved to have seen him finish his career here at the Titans," Cartwright said.

"It's great to have guys from the past involved. It creates a history and culture.

"But the guys on the paddock now are the ones that have to create household names for themselves."

The Titans have a settled football department and it's unlikely Prince would find a role in the club this year.

But Cartwright said the ex-Queensland half-back, who played 300 NRL games, would make a handy coach.

"I think he would make a good coach if that's the path he chose,'' he said.

"He has a great knowledge of the game, an enormous amount of experience and is a good communicator."

Prince did not return calls from the Bulletin yesterday.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/

Julius Sezer
04-02-14, 09:57 PM
Play Prince as hooker if all our hookers are injured.

DIEHARD
20-02-14, 08:21 AM
Prince denies coaching role

MOUNT Isa NRL star Scott Prince has downplayed speculation of a return to the Gold Coast Titans in a coaching capacity.

The Mount Isa-born Prince said coaching was something he would consider in the future, but revealed it wasn't high on his immediate priorities during yesterday's visit in conjunction with Indigenous Diabetes Eyes and Screening.

``No, not at this stage,'' Prince - an ambassador for Gidgee Healing - said.

``[It's] something I'll look at down the track.

``Right now my main focus is having a crack at the media aspect and obviously my work within the community.

``I spoke to [Gold Coast Titans boss] Graham Annesley but other than that, that's all that was spoken about.''

Prince - who has played 300 NRL games - mingled with members of the community as the travelling IDEAS van stopped in at Mount Isa yesterday.

His plans for 2014 revolve around commentary stints with Fox Sports, as well as his ambassadorial roles with Former Origin Greats (FOGS), the NRL's One Community initiative and Gidgee Healing.

Although he doesn't live in Mount Isa anymore, Prince still maintains the city is home and recalls memories of playing for Townies many years ago.

``I remember Saturday mornings running on with no shoes on because back then you didn't have to wear shoes until under-11 or 12s,'' he said.

``I've still got the old [Town] jerseys from back then at home.''

Prince also said it was pleasing to see Queensland teams in Brisbane and North Queensland flourish during the weekend's NRL 9s carnival in New Zealand

http://www.northweststar.com.au/story/2094896/prince-denies-coaching-role/?cs=190

TITAN FAN
20-02-14, 02:11 PM
We would all love Scotty back in some capacity
I doubt he will be coming
He is an ambassador of the game and he will have lucrative media deals
Why come to the Titans to throw a ball around a couple of times a week
He is way too smart for that

Toads
20-02-14, 02:39 PM
He's out selling Foxtel in Gladstone today. Along with Alfie, Kev Walters, Mat Rogers 'n Co..

But yeah, I tend to believe he'd be chasing a Media role, before he'd consider a Coaching role..

TITAN PETE
20-02-14, 03:56 PM
It has already been announced he will be part of the Fox team this season..

teke
20-02-14, 04:00 PM
He's coming as a defensive coach

TITAN PETE
20-02-14, 04:23 PM

:rolf::rolf::rolf:

Bayside Titan
20-02-14, 05:16 PM
No QRail on the Turstilles. ;-)

DIEHARD
08-03-14, 09:56 PM
Scott is part of tonight's Cowboys v Raiders sideline commentary.

Toads
08-03-14, 10:12 PM
I think he may have choked on a minor level on a couple of occasions (so far), but I think that might've been noobie nerves of self doubt with the new role. No doubt with more experience over time, he'll become a natural with it. :thumbsup:

DIEHARD
08-03-14, 10:21 PM
Yea he was nervous. He will get used to it. He is a good personality and has great insight into the game.

Titus
09-03-14, 05:51 PM
Yea he was nervous. He will get used to it. He is a good personality and has great insight into the game.

Yeah, and he is a great bloke to write with. Buy our book (shameless plug)! ;)