PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Titans Forum Team Voting - Poll #6 - Five Eighth

Hail Sezer
30-01-14, 08:14 PM
Poll number 5. This will be active for 3 days. Vote for who you would select for that position and comment why. This will be starting from Jersey #1 and ending with #17.

At the conclusion of all voting, the official 2014 Titans Forum Team will be formed.

Also to clarify, this is who you would select in that position for round 1 and not necessarily what you think Carty will select for round 1.

Forum Team Poll #6: Five Eighth

Please select from the options above who you would select as the Titans Five Eighth for 2014.

Team so far:
1. David Mead
2. Kevin Gordon
3. Maurice Blair
4. Brad Tighe
5. Kalifa Faifai Loa

Hail Sezer
30-01-14, 08:19 PM
Can a mod delete Maurice Blair from the poll please.

K2G
30-01-14, 08:27 PM
Loving that Jamal Fogarty has one vote! Kelly and Sezer must not have sold someone last season

I went Alby, because regardless of the numbers they wear he's our 5/8 Sezer is our halfback and directs our play. Most exciting thing as a titans fan right now is watching these two grow together...

lonegull
30-01-14, 08:55 PM
I think this is a no brainier SEZER:salute:

K2G
30-01-14, 09:23 PM

I'd love to hear your opinion on what makes Sezer a better 5/8 than halfback, or a better 5/8 than Kelly.

This was not meant to sound antagonistic. Honestly interested in your thoughts :)

lonegull
30-01-14, 09:41 PM
I'd love to hear your opinion on what makes Sezer a better 5/8 than halfback, or a better 5/8 than Kelly.

This was not meant to sound antagonistic. Honestly interested in your thoughts :)

My thoughts are halfback and 5/8th have evolved over the years to be similar position, my opinion is that the closer alby is to the ruck being halfback the more he can feed of being a support player which I think he is great at, Sezer is more of the composed type and likes to run set play so being a couple off the ruck suits his style, Alby is more of a play it how he sees it player and will try and create something from nothing. Hence that's why I think Alby is a better halfback than 5/8th

DavidBouveng
30-01-14, 10:01 PM
My thoughts are halfback and 5/8th have evolved over the years to be similar position, my opinion is that the closer alby is to the ruck being halfback the more he can feed of being a support player which I think he is great at, Sezer is more of the composed type and likes to run set play so being a couple off the ruck suits his style, Alby is more of a play it how he sees it player and will try and create something from nothing. Hence that's why I think Alby is a better halfback than 5/8th

i came into this thread thinking i was going to be the clever one and have alby at 5/8th even though he 100% wears the 7 this year, but youve made a strong point here.

K2G
30-01-14, 10:12 PM

Fair enough. I just think that Sezer is our general. He steers our attack and organizes our play. He is a better passer and kicker and like you say, is the composed type which is important for the guy who gets passed the ball first and has to make that initial decision. Whereas Kelly is all running game, support play, attacking kick and almost fullback like spontaneity across the park: sticking him at first receiver limit this) it's all arbitrary anyway i suppose with the 'right side/left side' style halves we have now, but as far as traditional roles go, I see Alby as much more of a 5/8 than a halfback and vice versa for Sezer.

Edit: You did raise a good point about set plays. I do think Sezer is better at executing these atm, but he's also better at organising the team, and steering them around the park than alby. i think organising and executing set plays is something Kelly will develop far more naturally as his role and confidence grows within the team. Organizing runners around him, coupled with his own speed and footwork could be dynamite. I am interested to see how Sezers running game develops this year, because it's something he did alot more of in the jnrs. Definitely 2ns to alby's running game though.

Tamwelg
30-01-14, 10:15 PM
Can a mod delete Maurice Blair from the poll please.

Done.

Tamwelg
30-01-14, 10:16 PM

Yep. No poll required.

Hail Sezer
30-01-14, 10:18 PM
Lold hard at the steve michaels vote

DavidBouveng
30-01-14, 10:47 PM
Fair enough. I just think that Sezer is our general. He steers our attack and organizes our play. He is a better passer and kicker and like you say, is the composed type which is important for the guy who gets passed the ball first and has to make that initial decision. Whereas Kelly is all running game, support play, attacking kick and almost fullback like spontaneity across the park: sticking him at first receiver limit this) it's all arbitrary anyway i suppose with the 'right side/left side' style halves we have now, but as far as traditional roles go, I see Alby as much more of a 5/8 than a halfback and vice versa for Sezer.

Edit: You did raise a good point about set plays. I do think Sezer is better at executing these atm, but he's also better at organising the team, and steering them around the park than alby. i think organising and executing set plays is something Kelly will develop far more naturally as his role and confidence grows within the team. Organizing runners around him, coupled with his own speed and footwork could be dynamite. I am interested to see how Sezers running game develops this year, because it's something he did alot more of in the jnrs. Definitely 2ns to alby's running game though.

k2g, im not too fussed either way, i originally was thinking alby due to his running game and support play, and sezer at 7 for his general leadership and composure, but saying sezer at 7 cos he gets the ball first is missing the point. they play left or right all day long. they may sweep around and double up if we have a large open side, but otherwise there is not really a first or second receiver role.

so im just as happy to leave it how it is for now.

K2G
30-01-14, 11:19 PM
but saying sezer at 7 cos he gets the ball first is missing the point. they play left or right all day long.

Yep... pretty much addressed the arbitrary nature of differentiating 'scrum-half' and 'stand-off' due to the right side/left side modern style of play in OP. Different players change where and how they receive the ball now anyways - i probably should have bolded the words 'traditional roles'. FWIW I do think better teams still maintain the traditional halfback/five-eigth style of play where each player plays both sides and the 7 steers the team around according to what the defense is doing, and the 5/8 is given room and time to decide where, when and how they interject. Now with a decent coach in the mix, i'd like to see us adopt that style of play, in which case Alby is my 5/8! But watevs.

And this is not meant to sound d*ickish, but if 'the point' of these poll's is voting on a hypothetical team based on preference ~ i think i pretty much nailed it.

Maybe it's just me, but i'd rather read a well-thought out, interesting and different selection idea (and enjoy the subsequent discussion around it) even if it's ultimately not what lines up rd1, than the 'We all know carty will pick x here, so that's who I'll vote for' line. Apathy is for post loss / post season failure - but it's the preseason now! time to dream big people...

Who voted for Steve Michaels?!! Love it. Would be great to hear the logic behind it!

Titan68
30-01-14, 11:47 PM
Soooo easy this one has to be Sezer

DavidBouveng
30-01-14, 11:50 PM
I agree about it creating good discussion k2g.

We all know it will be sezer but we have had some genuine chats about it.

Titanic
31-01-14, 12:14 AM
When Kelly went down last year in one of his spots and Sezer played 1/2 I suggested that Sezer is a better 1/2 in the modern game than Kelly and I haven't changed my mind at all. Kelly is a loose cannon who needs to feed off broken play and second phase. Sezer is a general and I have voted that way. Having said that Sezer plays left and Kelly plays right so who truly cares?

And would Fogarty's family stop voting please.

DavidBouveng
31-01-14, 12:18 AM
Yeah titanic that's what I was getting it. We could all get cerebral and define the role so well and who is more suited... But it's just redundant in the end.

I'll settle for alby playing as well as last year, without injury, and sezer stepping his ball playing and running up a bit rather than just distributing.

We have two good kids, let's just enjoy that.

Supergoose
31-01-14, 10:05 AM
Voted Alby but great discussion points all. Looking at that back line it has a real recycled look about it. Could easily have 3 or 4 different guys in there.

Mexican titan
31-01-14, 06:31 PM
Yeah great discussion but Sezer for me.

ozynorts
31-01-14, 08:08 PM
Sezer. One exception to the right side, left side debate is Thurston. Watch him live and he just goes both sides, sometimes on the same play.

Supergoose
31-01-14, 08:50 PM
And he does it even though Henry wanted him to stay on the left. I believe there was some compromise between them as far as tactics go.

Toads
31-01-14, 09:25 PM
TP owns the #6 jersey. He's a waste of talent with #1 jersey.. /sarcasm