PDA

View Full Version : New rules must be enforced by referees, says Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright

K2G
27-01-14, 01:57 AM
From foxsports.com.au
(http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/new-rules-must-be-enforced-by-referees-says-gold-coast-titans-coach-john-cartwright/story-e6frf3ou-1226810772077)

TITANS coach John Cartwright has backed the new NRL rule changes, but says it's now up to the referees to enforce them.

The NRL announced nine new rules, interpretations and judiciary warnings yesterday in a bid to speed up the game and improve player safety.

Time wasting will be minimised and pointless scrums are being slowly punted from the code.

Dangerous "cannonball" and "crusher" tackles will receive harsher treatment from the referees and judiciary, but Cartwright said the game had to now back up its words with actions.

"The third man in one is an obvious rule. It's something no-one likes to see," he said.

"They were getting worse and worse I thought. It's good to see they're on top of it.

"The referees want it wiped out of the game so I think they'll be strict with it.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"Once they've made the decision they've got to be strict on them.

"Once the players know the rules then it becomes second nature."

The Titans had their first taste of the new rules when they appointed NRL referees to officiate at an intra-club trial at Mudgeeraba on Saturday.

They ran an opposed full-contact session against the club's under-20s team, with Cartwright looking to decide on a squad for his side's first pre-season trial against the Warriors on February 9.

Cartwright was still undecided about who his first-choice centres would be, while the front row had also tossed up some headaches.

Maurice Blair, Brad Tighe, Brad Takairangi and Jamie Dowling are jostling for the two centre spots on offer.

In the front row, the club nearly has a full roster to choose from with Luke Bailey, Luke Douglas, Matt White, Ryan James and Mark Ioane all impressing in training.

Nate Myles is still recovering from groin surgery but is considered to be a certainty for round 1 selection.

"It was pretty full-on. We wore jumpers and had a couple of official referees," Cartwright said of the hit-out.

"There was plenty of contact and we got away with no injuries. They gelled really well.

"The centre spots, back-row and front row have a couple of spots swinging. The fullback, wings and halves are pretty settled.

"Probably 90 per cent of the forward pack (is decided) but Mark Ioane's trained the house down and Matty White is in career-best shape (after missing all of 2013 with a knee injury).

"That's going to be hard. Somebody's going to have to miss out.

"It'll be tough early in the season but they'll all get a crack at some stage."

Young hooker Sam Irwin is recovering well from an ankle injury and is a chance of playing in the Warriors trial but former Bulldogs under-20s star Paul Carter has starred in his absence.

Carter, who is yet to make his NRL debut, will play hooker in the Auckland Nines as Cartwright rests first-choice rake Beau Falloon, with Matt Srama still on the sidelines after undergoing a shoulder reconstruction.

"Paul Carter will be pushing hard for a (NRL) spot. He's going to be a good one," Cartwright said.

K2G
27-01-14, 02:08 AM
some really interesting thing mentioned/inferred here.

- fullback, wings and halves are pretty settled, meaning as we all know zilly retains fullback spot, mead and kg on the wings. On the bright side, it suggests that Kelly's injury must be all good...

- Ioane and White jostling for a starting spot - makes me even more confident of a 2 prop bench come round 1. Ioane and White could be huge for us throughout this season if fit and firing.

- no mention of KFFL or Liks pushing for center/wing spots, so i imagine they will be considered backup players for the start of the season, and won't get a shot until injuries occur.

- Paul Carter sounds to be impressing greatly. I hope we see him early in the season.

- Would love to see some photos from the opposed session with the 20's or hear some more stories to out of the game.

teke
27-01-14, 03:39 AM
I'm hearing Carter will be a solid first grader by yrs endn

DavidBouveng
27-01-14, 08:01 PM
this made me realise i had completely been overlooking Ioane in my preseason teams...even though i thought he was great last year and expected him to figure more this year, somehow he slipped my mind.