PDA

View Full Version : Gold Coast assistant coach Neil Henry reveals his Titanic blueprint for success

K2G
24-01-14, 11:55 PM
From Couriermail.com.au (http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/gold-coast-assistant-coach-neil-henry-reveals-his-titanic-blueprint-for-success/story-fniabrr8-1226809885006)
Travis Meyn | The Courier-Mail | January 24, 2014 11:00PM

HE played a crucial role in the early years of Queensland's record-breaking State of Origin dynasty.

And now former Cowboys coach Neil Henry has set his sights on helping restore the Gold Coast Titans into an NRL powerhouse.

In his first tell-all interview since being sacked by the Cowboys last year, Henry reveals he is determined to drag the Gold Coast out of the NRL abyss and has already applied his blueprint of success to a team that's missed the finals for the past three years.

The 52-year-old is enjoying his new role so much he already eyeing off a contract extension that would keep him on the Gold Coast as an assistant to John Cartwright beyond 2014.

"My job is here and at the moment I'd like to stay here and hopefully secure a longer term throughout this season at some stage," he said.

"I'm committed to the club for this year.

"I want to keep my options open for that head coaching position if there's one available but I've settled in quickly here.

"I still want to be a head coach again but I'm also a realist and know there's a few other guys that have been head coaches and haven't got the opportunity to go back to that position."

COWBOYS DUEL

They were touted as premiership favourites by many.

A team with Johnathan Thurston, Matt Scott and James Tamou couldn't possibly fail.

But when the Cowboys found themselves languishing in the NRL abyss the axe fell on Henry.

There's no doubt the decision was premature.

The Cowboys rallied, winning six straight games to reach the finals before being cruelly knocked out in that infamous seven-tackle blunder.

"You haven't got a lot of time to dwell on what happened," Henry said.

"It's a learning curve, coaching, regardless. You reflect a bit on it and you move on.

"I can move on knowing the roster is strong up there and they've played in the finals for three consecutive years which hasn't happened in the history of the club.

"I can be a little bit satisfied for what we were able to achieve up there but also disappointed I wasn't able to stay there.

"You move on pretty quickly. I got an opportunity here and I'm enjoying my time."

TITANIC EXPECTATIONS

Henry has gone from a club that hasn't missed the finals since 2010 to a club that hasn't made the finals since 2010.

On face value it seems like a backwards step for a coach that's grown accustomed to success but Henry sees something on the Gold Coast.

"Results haven't been great for a few years now but I think the way the club finished the (2013) season showed that even with a number of key players out the squad showed they can play good footy and beat the best sides," he said.

"We have to set the bar high. You're mediocre if you finish eighth and you're losing as many games as you win.

"Top four would be the aim for the club. It's been there before.

"There's a lot to like about the organisation. There's no reason why this club shouldn't be one of the top clubs moving forward.

"It's about getting the roster right and having halves who are competitive, enthusiastic and skilful."

NO HALF MEASURES

Albert Kelly and Aidan Sezer - the 22-year-old indigenous playmakers who must lead the Gold Coast into a new era.

Henry spent the past five years of his career coaching one of the greatest shot-callers in history, Johnathan Thurston.

And while the Gold Coast duo have a long way to go before reaching those heights, Henry believes they hold the key.

"They've got potential but that doesn't win you games. They need to step up and be consistent performers each week," he said.

"They'll be the first to admit they were a bit erratic last season. There are some areas of their footy we need to work on and improve so they're consistent every week.

"It's a learning curve for them but we need to start the season well. They'll play a major part of that."

Sezer will be the backbone of this club but Kelly possesses the flair of a genuine match-winner.

His instincts have been compared to two-time Golden Boot winner Thurston but Henry wants to see more commitment from Kelly.

"Johnathan's instinctive but he also understands the need for structure at times too and to play to a plan," he said.

"The thing that sets him apart is he's producing good footy consistently every week. That's where Albert needs to get that consistency in his game.

"If Albert can take that from JT with the effort he puts in around the field … he's going to be a different player."

COACH CARTWRIGHT

Just how this relationship would work was one of the big talking points when Henry arrived at Robina.

Cartwright is under pressure after three lean seasons but his willingness to sign Henry, who assisted Mal Meninga for the first few years of Queensland's eight-year Origin dominance, has proved he is open to new ideas.

Henry's been a fresh voice at pre-season training and says he's formed an understanding combination with his boss.

"He's easy going and is focused on a good season," Henry said.

"He's in touch with reality. He knows the side hasn't played finals football for three years.

"He's acutely aware of the results of the club and is determined to be better this year.

"My job is to work and do what Carty wants me to do. He's the head coach.

"We need to get the best out of the playing roster we've got.

"There's been a couple of changes in how we do things but only subtle changes.

"It's a real focus for us to be a better defensive team this year and keep evolving our attack as well."

THE FUTURE

Henry's wife, Cath, is yet to relocate to his Currumbin house while children Jack, 20, and Georgia, 18, are settled in Townsville.

But he's determined to deliver success to a rugby league region that's been craving some for so long.

"There's always been potential in this area," he said.

"It's been a difficult past with what's happened at the club.

"It's a strong roster, there's good depth now, particularly in the outside backs.

"We need to win most of our home games, if not all of them, and get the crowd excited about the style of footy we're playing.

"That's all we can control as a football department."

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2014/01/24/1226809/882620-fe053e24-84bc-11e3-b9d4-ee96a3e30d81.jpg

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2014/01/24/1226809/882693-0171da9a-84bd-11e3-b9d4-ee96a3e30d81.jpg

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2014/01/24/1226809/883252-ee4b6ef6-84bf-11e3-b9d4-ee96a3e30d81.jpg

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2014/01/24/1226809/884474-041e37de-84bd-11e3-b9d4-ee96a3e30d81.jpg

C-Whiz
25-01-14, 08:16 AM
All sounds pretty good to me, and about what you'd expect.

We'll find out in trials/rd1 how the structures and game plans look.

DIEHARD
26-01-14, 07:33 AM
I'm very pleased to see this bloke at the Titans.

TITAN PETE
26-01-14, 07:55 AM

Me too mate & the word is that it's very noticeable with the teams attacking structure that there's a major change within the club :thumbsup:

Also hope his wife moves here very soon then we know he's here for the long haul ;)

Julius Sezer
26-01-14, 10:33 AM
thank god for that.

Bayside Titan
26-01-14, 10:47 AM
Agree. Like that he is considering staying longer as well.

Titanic
26-01-14, 11:10 AM
Agree with everything said above and most of the article except "restore the Titans into an NRL powerhouse" How about turning the Titans into an NRL powerhouse ... now that has a pleasant ring about it.

Oh by the way, looking at that last pic, does anybody think Henry is starting to look like Cartwright? Just an observation but you know what they say .....

shamus
26-01-14, 11:14 AM
Agree with everything said above and most of the article except "restore the Titans into an NRL powerhouse" How about turning the Titans into an NRL powerhouse ... now that has a pleasant ring about it.

Oh by the way, looking at that last pic, does anybody think Henry is starting to look like Cartwright? Just an observation but you what they say .....

I own an obese Daschund Titanic!...What are you trying to say... :ugh:

Titanic
26-01-14, 11:16 AM
I own an obese Daschund Titanic!...What are you trying to say... :ugh:
:laugh::laugh::laugh: you got me :p

ozynorts
17-02-14, 08:11 PM
Oh by the way, looking at that last pic, does anybody think Henry is starting to look like Cartwright? Just an observation but you know what they say .....

Not only do they look alike but it goes further than that.
Both were appointed in 2007 to their clubs until Henry getting the boot last year. Here is their records from 2007 till the end of 2013.
Cartwright's record, 79 wins - 93 losses from 172 games
Henry's record, 80 wins - 93 losses from 173 games................. :doh:
I was really happy to see him signed by the club but not quite so sure now. He had a far superior roster up there and amassed the same record as Cartwright and we are not happy with Carty. Is he actually an improvement, I hope so but time will tell I guess.

matti
17-02-14, 08:36 PM
This story makes carty look bad and i don't mind

Titanic
17-02-14, 10:32 PM
Not only do they look alike but it goes further than that...........
Well researched and reflects the attitude of his previous clubs ... as you said "time will tell" ... but I must admit that until there is more than cosmetic surgery at the club I won't be getting too excited.

Also I totally refute the title of the original article as this is not my blueprint at all and in fact my blueprint would start with a culling and finish with a bloodletting.