PDA

View Full Version : It's young talent time at the Titans

DIEHARD
17-01-14, 01:54 PM
It's young talent time at the Titans as the Gold Coast's future leaders are required to step up

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2014/01/16/1226803/661824-320acca2-7e78-11e3-897f-d21e3ddd1df9.jpg

THEY'RE the Titans' fantastic five - the quintet of under-20s graduates who must step up for the Gold Coast to thrive in 2014.

Ryan James, Kevin Gordon, David Mead, Matt Srama and Ben Ridge can no longer be considered solid young players.

While they might not boast the profiles of teammates Greg Bird, Nate Myles or Dave Taylor, they will be every bit as important if the Titans are to push deep into the finals next season.

With a combined 331 first grade games under their belts, they are seasoned NRL professionals who carry as much responsibility for winning and losing games as any of the stars.

Coach John Cartwright said the group shaped as the Titans' future leaders as the club headed into a transitional period.

"We did have a really good run there with kids that have come through our 20s and they've been getting better every year,'' Cartwright said.

"But at this stage, we've got to turn that into winning games.

"We need to see the likes of those guys (standing up) and I'm sure we will.

"They'll be leading the club around for many years to come.''

The Titans have eight graduates from their under-20s training with the full-time squad, with Jamie Dowling - a candidate to replace departed centre Jamal Idris - Sam Irwin and Jahrome Hughes, also having cracked the NRL after starting in the junior ranks.

But barring injury, James, Mead, Gordon, Srama and Ridge will be in Titans colours each week and now need to make their mark.

James, who has played 43 games since making his debut against Manly in 2010, agrees it is time for the young guns to stand up.

"It's a team sport, so we all just do our best to make the team run well and if we've progressed through the 18s and 20s, then the club's done their job,'' James said.

The front-rower, who is on the cusp of an Origin breakthrough, is off-contract this season but a priority re-signing for the Titans who are desperate to fight off interest from southern raiders to retain the forward talent.

Srama has racked up 56 games since being elevated from the under-20s midway through the 2011 season.

"Every pre-season there's more young fellas coming in and I'm sort of giving them advice now, so it sort of makes me feel older in a way,'' Srama, 22, said.

"I'm still obviously very young but it's time to step up my role in the team.''

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/nrl

toddythetitan
17-01-14, 05:10 PM
Looking at this photo sums up why im glad we lost idris u hope we can keep each of these guys this would make a great banner :)

Titanic
17-01-14, 06:52 PM
It will be great when we can do that with 13 ... get busy mdrew.

mdrew
17-01-14, 08:08 PM
Lol - good article isn't it

It will be great when we can do that with 13 ... get busy mdrew.

mnjs
20-01-14, 03:24 PM
Exciting times ahead with these young blokes leading the team! Got a feeling James is going to have a huge 2014.

ozynorts
20-01-14, 04:21 PM
I am looking forward to James becoming more consistent. He has the size and ability to be like S. Burgess.

Titanic
20-01-14, 11:57 PM
I am looking forward to James becoming more consistent. He has the size and ability to be like S. Burgess.
Needs to show an off-load and to run with a much lower centre of gravity.