PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' rigid drug policy

DIEHARD
22-02-06, 07:11 AM
Broncos' rigid drug policy

The Brisbane Broncos have used the NRL's adoption of the World Anti-Doping Agency's stringent guidelines as a basis for a new drugs policy which has players on notice "24-seven".

Broncos managing director Bruno Cullen said the club had employed an independent agent to carry out random tests on players at any time, either at training or in their homes.

Cullen said the players had signed agreements permitting tests at the club's request on top of testing already done by the Australian Sports Drug Agency, although the results of the club's testing remain confidential.

"We just figured with the NRL adopting the WADA guidelines, that we would follow suit and the players were more than happy to comply," Cullen said.

"We are a family club and we are very conscious of our image and the whole idea of drugs is against everything we stand for.

"So from that point of view it shows we are fair dinkum about dealing with any potential problems and the players' response shows they are too."

The drug testing is in addition to the Broncos' strict new alcohol policy, which has included the implementation of Sunday training sessions to minimise weekends of binge drinking.

While the new rules may appear very stringent, Cullen said the club had structures in place to deal with breaches, particularly when dealing with alcohol and recreational drugs, to help players overcome their problems rather than just punish them.

"We don't endorse outing and humiliating players who have made a mistake or who may have done something silly at a low point in their lives," Cullen said.

"For any initial positive result for recreational drugs, players will be fined and forced to meet with the club but they will also be given counselling.
"If they are caught again a much more significant fine and an intensive rehabilitation course will be undertaken.

"However, it is three strikes and you are out. If players test positive for a third time they are out of here."

State of Origin representative Casey McGuire said the players were comfortable with the new procedures, suggesting the new rules were as much a public relations exercise as anything else.

On the recruiting front, Cullen said the Broncos were hopeful of luring star halfback Scott Prince back to Red Hill, but he admitted the terms of the "tender" process would make the move extremely difficult.

Under an agreement with the Wests Tigers, Prince has been able to negotiate with the three Queensland clubs - North Queensland, Brisbane and the Gold Coast - with formal offers to be lodged by February 28.

As reported in The Australian yesterday, the Cowboys will not join the process, leaving Brisbane, where Prince spent three injury-plagued seasons, and the Gold Coast as the remaining options for the homesick star.

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett will speak to Prince tomorrow, but Cullen said the time frame made negotiating "almost impossible".

Cullen suggested Prince may have to wait until after June 30, when players coming off-contract go on to the open market, if he wants to return.

The Australian

DIEHARD
22-02-06, 07:12 AM
Good stuff by the Brisbane Broncos, I think all clubs should instigate similar regimes.

Anyone know how other clubs work?

Dakink
22-02-06, 09:37 AM
Not sure how other clubs work, but the NR also has a stringent drug testing policy. Gallop also came out and said that if any club wanted to go beyond the NRL testing then they had the full support of the NRL. Good to hear that the players from the Broncos were responsible for signing off and agreeing to the policy.

Super Cronk
22-02-06, 11:16 AM
I would like to see all clubs doing this.

Not sure what other clubs are doing but ild assume they have some tough guidelines aswell.

Eel 33
22-02-06, 12:26 PM
The threat of random drug testing would keep anyone on their toes.

Research Station Drive
22-02-06, 02:04 PM
I'd be pretty ****ty if my work ocassionally surprised me for drug testing.

Not that I'm into drugs, I just think this is a gross invasion of personal privacy.

I think that social drugs are widespread in League though - just as they are in general society.

Actually had an NRL player asking about buying drugs from a group of my mates at a Sydney Nightclub over the offseason - for no good reason! Great way to get yourself into trouble.

Dakink
22-02-06, 02:08 PM
Unfortunately I think it goes with the territory - they are paid big dollars for what they do. Plus they are wether they like it or not such huge role models for the younger generation, they must be seen as being clean. Dont forget the players all wanted this too.

Eel 33
22-02-06, 02:09 PM
I will guarentee it happens. I was tested at work about 4 months ago. It was compulsory, i had nothing to hide so I didn't worry about it.

Ipswich Fan
22-02-06, 02:09 PM
I think it's a good move. Drugs have no place in society & if my workplace ever went for drug testing i'd be glad to comply.

Research Station Drive
22-02-06, 03:11 PM
I'd be ok with getting a drug test if I could endanger myself or other people by being affected by drugs at the work place.

If it doesn't harm anyone I don't think it's anyones business but your own.

Yes they are role models, I'd rather see a stringent education campaign than testing. I'd look up to someone more if they honestly knew the dangers of drugs and chose not to take them, then if they were held in line by testing.

Dakink
22-02-06, 03:14 PM
Err they are illegal - isnt that enough..

I'd look up to someone more if they honestly knew the dangers of drugs and chose not to take them, then if they were held in line by testing.

And that has proven itself to work hasnt it. Relying on young men with too much time, money and testosterone to do 'the right thing' hasnt exactly led to a great record.

Queenslander
22-02-06, 05:12 PM
All these blokes are in the public spotlight so therefore they should adhere to the rules and regulations of the public. Any sport players is not and should not be above the law. By calling these test as an invasion of privacy is a bad call....playing professional sport is an invasion of privacy as we know alot of the players personal lives. And as above if they break the law we will know about it.

These drug testing should be common place at all clubs; if they players have something to hide then they can leave the sport and not drag rugby league through the mud yet again.

[BroncosGirl]
22-02-06, 05:13 PM
Good to see the Broncos taking this directions, and taking a firm stance against drugs.

Remember guys Hugs not Drugs ;) :p....

Queenslander
26-02-06, 10:24 AM
Brisbane launch war on drugs
By Michael Westlake
February 26, 2006

ANY Broncos player caught twice by the club's in-house drug testing will be fined 25 per cent of his salary and forced into full-time rehabilitation under the club's new player code of conduct.

The code, obtained by The Sunday Telegraph, covers all responsibilities for Broncos players, including a new "three-strikes" policy regarding social drugs, and has been signed-off by every player at the club.

For a first offence, Broncos players will be fined five per cent of their wage and have to enter a rehabilitation program at their own expense. A second positive test results in the more severe penalties, while a third results in the player's contract being terminated.

The penalties of the in-house testing are severe, but geared more towards rehabilitating players with problems rather than simply removing them from the club.

The NRL's policy, under new guidelines enforced by the World Anti-Doping Agency, will see first offenders banned for a total of two years. A second positive test results in a life ban.

Broncos managing director Bruno Cullen said the club was trying to be "pro-active" in its approach to social drug use to prevent the problem getting a foothold at the club.

"We introduced that code in the beginning of the pre-season, which was early December," Cullen said.

"Wayne Bennett, myself and the chairman of the board Darryl Sommerville addressed all the players.

"The players signed up for it, and were happy to do so, and we asked the guy we engaged (to conduct in-house tests) to make sure we covered everybody pretty quickly. I am not suggesting that the previous system was wrong or inadequate, but we wanted the players to know that if you are using them, that you were a pretty good chance of getting caught.

"In the first six weeks, we did roughly 50-60 tests, and about a quarter of those would have been at the individuals' residences, and generally early in the morning.

"I am happy to say that all of those were negative."

The Sunday Telegraph