PDA

View Full Version : The Scott Prince Thread!

DIEHARD
22-02-06, 06:59 AM
Michael Searle, the man who convinced the NRL to bring a national team back to the Gold Coast, will today attempt to bring Scott Prince back to Queensland.

The Gold Coast Titans managing director admitted last night that his fight for Prince will today reach State of Origin proportions.

As two other contenders in the race for the premiership-winning captain, the Brisbane Broncos and the North Queensland Cowboys, fell off the lead bunch, the battle came down to Titans v Wests Tigers.

"It is a challenge of Queensland v NSW on who wins Scott Prince's heart," said Searle before he meets Prince in Sydney today.

"He is a Queenslander, so I will be playing that song tomorrow. It just depends on how much he wants to come home."

The Titans, Cowboys and Broncos were all given permission by the Tigers to talk to Prince before the June 30 anti-tampering deadline when the North Queenslander gave notice that he was considering returning to Queensland in 2007.

Prince and manager Steve Robinson then devised a tender-type document for the three clubs to present their bids for Prince by the end of February.

But yesterday Cowboys coach Graham Murray confirmed his club had withdrawn their interest.

Later yesterday afternoon the Broncos also appeared to be cooling on the idea of enticing their former halfback back to their colours.

Originally the Broncos' CEO Bruno Cullen was to meet Prince in Sydney, but that is not happening.

Although Cullen said the club was 'still interested', those talks will be done today over the phone.

"We are still interested in Scott Prince," said Cullen.

"We are talking to Scott tomorrow. (Coach) Wayne (Bennett) will be talking to Scott via telephone.

"After that discussion between Wayne and Scott we will decide whether we want to progress any further with the so-called tender document.

"We were going to try to organise a face-to-face between Wayne and I and Scott and his manager but it just didn't all come together, so Wayne is just going to ring Scott tomorrow, probably some time tomorrow afternoon, and we will decide whether we will go any further."

Cullen said his club was 'no better than 50-50' of signing Prince.

Although buoyed by the news that the two Queensland competitors were now trailing behind, Searle believes the Wests Tigers are still in the box seat to retain their captain.

"We are still a chance, the Queensland card will play a part, but Wests Tigers, they are a grand final-winning team," said Searle.

"There are a lot of issues Scott has to get across to come to us. But hopefully (coach) John Cartwright and myself and (football manager) Scott Sattler can alleviate some of those fears tomorrow."

Source: Gold Coast Bulletint

DIEHARD
22-02-06, 07:00 AM
Good luck Michael!

Signing Scott Prince would be huge and the benefits you couldn't put a price on.

Kingytek
22-02-06, 08:53 AM
Don't spend all your money on a fancy record player...

DeeGan
22-02-06, 09:13 AM
Titans Prince deal close

By DEAN RITCHIE

February 22, 2006

THE Gold Coast Titans are firming by the day to sign Wests Tigers halfback Scott Prince.

Some sources in fact say a deal is close to being announced with the new NRL club.

Wests Tigers remain hopeful ? but certainly not confident ? of retaining their premiership-winning captain.

Prince meanwhile, will meet Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen today in Sydney. And the meeting comes as North Queensland coach Graham Murray confirmed his club had withdrawn their interest in the player.

Prince let his movements slip yesterday when asked whether he had been asked to remain a Tiger by five-eighth teammate Benji Marshall.

"He understands the family reasons ? he's going to be disappointed," Prince told The Daily Telegraph.

"He will support me in whatever decision I make."

Prince said he wanted his future settled before the start of the NRL season next month.

"It will be hard to do (a deal) during the season," Prince said.

The Broncos remain a chance for Prince. Asked were they an attractive option, Prince said: "They are and they aren't.

"There are certainly a lot of questions I want to ask when I sit down with them."

The above instills me with confidence - "the signing we had to have" (thanks Paul Keating :) ) is getting closer and closer by the day.

DeeGan
22-02-06, 09:18 AM
Don't spend all your money on a fancy record player...

Michael is on record as stating we have a limit we are prepared to spend on Scott Prince and anything above will rule us out. We are offering a healthy contract, a chance to be part of history and a lifestyle that will bring him all the joy in the world on the home front as well.

Kingytek
22-02-06, 11:12 AM
It was a joke.

DeeGan
22-02-06, 11:26 AM
It was a joke.

Ohhh, I get it.............

Actually I don't but fair enough I guess. It doesn't read as one in the post though as we know the written word on a forum can be hard to interpret at times.

Cheers

Titanium_BD1103
22-02-06, 11:50 AM
Well, it looks like we are in the prime seat for this one.. but I will not count chickens before they hatch :lol!:

2 teams left, the home town heroes and the Premiership winners, I wonder which Scott Prince will choose. Hopefully, and I am sure he will, Michael Searle can show Scott what great faciliities this club has, the great community atmosphere and how much he could benefit from coming here.. :D

And for a crazy idea I just came up with... maybe get Scott to come here to realise just how big this club is going to be.. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:... what a great dream that is, to have Scott on here and we make him to sign with us..;)

DIEHARD
22-02-06, 11:56 AM
Queenslanders playing in Queensland. It is what it is all about! :D

Eel 33
22-02-06, 12:19 PM
If Prince is signed, i think you could fill the rest of the squad with fringe 1st graders and local talent. Start off slow, or the team will end up like when the
Wests Tigers merger started, blowing all the money on "name" players who did bugger all.

lonegull
22-02-06, 01:26 PM
i think prince could be the player tje titans build there premiereship team around a natural at the game and a great bloke to go with it best of luck to the management on getting his signature and imagine yhe interest it will create if he did sign wow the media would be in a frenzy

SuperCliffy#01
22-02-06, 02:32 PM
If the Titans get Prince then all i can say congratulations.cya.

Eel 33
22-02-06, 02:47 PM
I think the Broncos made a mistake by not talking to Prince face to face. Sounds like they're not really interested. If I was in Prince's shoes, i wouldn't go to brisbane, IMO fair dinkum deals are made face to face.

captaincharger
22-02-06, 08:15 PM
Titans to make Prince an offer in NRL
Date: 22/02/06
By Todd Balym

Gold Coast managing director Michael Searle is not about to throw the cheque book at Wests Tigers captain Scott Prince, despite saying the star was the Titans' top priority.

Searle, coach John Cartwright and football manager Scott Sattler had a two-hour lunch meeting with Prince and his manager Steve Robinson at lavish Woolloomooloo wharf on Wednesday but left no more confident they could lure the halfback home to Queensland.

"I'm probably no more or less confident," said Searle.

"We will table an offer next Tuesday. We have not talked terms or money, we thought it was an inappropriate time.

"I think players realise the lifestyle benefits of the Gold Coast and are prepared to accept less money than in Sydney.

"We will give it our best shot and see how we go."

The Titans have just seven players on its books ahead of their 2007 introduction, and while there is plenty of room under its salary cap, Searle isn't about to splurge ahead of the June 30 anti-tampering deadline when they will access most of their recruits.

"We have got plenty in the tank, we only have seven players and it was not extravagant spending which makes it easier," said Searle.

"(Prince) would attract a lot more money on the open market on July 1.

"It's a massive opportunity for us.

"One way or another we will know soon and we can start making plans for other opportunities.

"If we miss Scott we will be bitterly disappointed, but we do have other options.

"If he does not come to us we can work on Plan B. We have got plans B, C and D. We could shift Preston Campbell to halfback and get a five-eighth but that would be about Plan C right now.

"There's quality halfbacks on the market and opportunities out there for us."

Searle believes Prince would make a superb inaugural captain of the club, but said that decision was up to coach Cartwright.

"He is obviously a leader, that's apparent," he said.

"We have very suitable candidates already. Luke Bailey is a leader, as is Preston Campbell and we have also got Brian Carney who is the vice-captain of Great Britain.

"No doubt Scott would be a great leader or captain, but that's up to the coach to decide."

Speaking at Tigers training on Tuesday, Prince revealed his deep desire to return to Queensland but admitted leaving the Tigers would be tougher than he first thought.

"It's a decision I am not taking lightly," he said.

"It's not about moving away from Sydney it is about moving to my family. I think that is the key here.

"It will be hard to get up and leave it all behind.

"Every aspect of every team has pros and cons and that is what I have got to think about.

"At the end of it all one party is going to be unhappy and I don't want to make it a bitter thing."

Copyright ? 2006 AAP

DIEHARD
23-02-06, 07:16 AM
Legend blasts Prince

Balmain legend and Wests Tigers director Ben Elias yesterday claimed to be "dead-set filthy" after bumping into club captain Scott Prince during secret negotiations with Gold Coast officials over lunch at an exclusive Woolloomooloo restaurant.

Elias was lunching at Kingsleys Steak and Crabhouse when he caught Prince and his manager Steve Robinson in talks with Titans coach John Cartwright and officials Michael Searle and Scott Sattler.

Although aware his club had permitted Prince to negotiate with the Titans, Elias said the player's behaviour was "tacky" and blasted Robinson for parading his client in Sydney's finest restaurants.

The Daily Telegraph was there to capture Prince's meeting and to photograph Elias, who was at a private function upstairs in the same venue.

Watching Prince being courted in such a public and high-profile venue - overlooking Sydney Harbour - angered Elias, the former NSW and Australia hooker.

"I have a high regard for Scott Prince," Elias told Daily Telegraph

"He is our captain and we gave him the right to talk with other clubs.

"But he shouldn't be negotiating in the middle of Sydney in front of everyone. It is so tacky. I am disgusted in him and disappointed in his manager. In fact I'm dead-set filthy.

"There's no need for him to parade around at some high-profile restaurant. There are other players to consider here.

"I think he has been badly advised. Everyone seems to know where Scott's contract talks are being held. It seems orchestrated.

"It made me sick to see him paraded around in front of John Cartwright and Scott Sattler in negotiations.

"He shouldn't forget he is our first- grade captain.

"Anyway, I know who I would be rather be playing inside of - Preston Campell or Benji Marshall."

The lunch went for more than 90 minutes before the Gold Coast contingent flew back to Queensland.

No formal offer was tabled at the lunch. "It would be a great coup if we could do something," Cartwright said.

"The lunch went well mate - we had never really met before.

"We pitched our plans to Scott about his role on the field and the style of play he is comfortable with. It was more just a general conversation and the chance to meet face-to-face."

It seems certain Prince will quit the Wests Tigers and join the new NRL club for 2007.

Asked what he thought about Prince's meeting, Wests Tigers CEO Steve Noyce said: "At the end of the day, he has permission to negotiate. The way he does that is up to him and his manager."

North Queensland and Brisbane have withdrawn their interest in Prince.

"We have said the whole way through this that Wests Tigers are a premiership-winning side but we have an obligation to give this our best shot," said Titans managing director Michael Searle.

"He's a halfback and he's a Queenslander. We'd see him as a key signing. "

Prince wants the contract dilemma resolved by the start of the season.

The Broncos and Cowboys would re-open interest in Prince should he still be available after the June 30 deadline.

The Daily Telegraph

Moejoe
23-02-06, 07:40 AM
Legend blasts Prince

Balmain legend and Wests Tigers director Ben Elias yesterday claimed to be "dead-set filthy" after bumping into club captain Scott Prince during secret negotiations with Gold Coast officials over lunch at an exclusive Woolloomooloo restaurant.

Elias was lunching at Kingsleys Steak and Crabhouse when he caught Prince and his manager Steve Robinson in talks with Titans coach John Cartwright and officials Michael Searle and Scott Sattler.

Although aware his club had permitted Prince to negotiate with the Titans, Elias said the player's behaviour was "tacky" and blasted Robinson for parading his client in Sydney's finest restaurants.

The Daily Telegraph was there to capture Prince's meeting and to photograph Elias, who was at a private function upstairs in the same venue.

Watching Prince being courted in such a public and high-profile venue - overlooking Sydney Harbour - angered Elias, the former NSW and Australia hooker.

"I have a high regard for Scott Prince," Elias told Daily Telegraph

"He is our captain and we gave him the right to talk with other clubs.

"But he shouldn't be negotiating in the middle of Sydney in front of everyone. It is so tacky. I am disgusted in him and disappointed in his manager. In fact I'm dead-set filthy.

"There's no need for him to parade around at some high-profile restaurant. There are other players to consider here.

"I think he has been badly advised. Everyone seems to know where Scott's contract talks are being held. It seems orchestrated.

"It made me sick to see him paraded around in front of John Cartwright and Scott Sattler in negotiations.

"He shouldn't forget he is our first- grade captain.

"Anyway, I know who I would be rather be playing inside of - Preston Campell or Benji Marshall."

The lunch went for more than 90 minutes before the Gold Coast contingent flew back to Queensland.

No formal offer was tabled at the lunch. "It would be a great coup if we could do something," Cartwright said.

"The lunch went well mate - we had never really met before.

"We pitched our plans to Scott about his role on the field and the style of play he is comfortable with. It was more just a general conversation and the chance to meet face-to-face."

It seems certain Prince will quit the Wests Tigers and join the new NRL club for 2007.

Asked what he thought about Prince's meeting, Wests Tigers CEO Steve Noyce said: "At the end of the day, he has permission to negotiate. The way he does that is up to him and his manager."

North Queensland and Brisbane have withdrawn their interest in Prince.

"We have said the whole way through this that Wests Tigers are a premiership-winning side but we have an obligation to give this our best shot," said Titans managing director Michael Searle.

"He's a halfback and he's a Queenslander. We'd see him as a key signing. "

Prince wants the contract dilemma resolved by the start of the season.

The Broncos and Cowboys would re-open interest in Prince should he still be available after the June 30 deadline.

The Daily Telegraph

Sounds like Mr. Elias is a bit jealous that the Titans have taken the time to talk to prince.....

The statements he has made in the above article In my opinion wouldn't change even if prince was caught eating a happy meal at Mac donalds with the guys from the titans.

DIEHARD
23-02-06, 07:45 AM
Elias always was an idiot and a whinger.

The statements he has made in the above article In my opinion wouldn't change even if prince was caught eating a happy meal at Mac donalds with the guys from the titans.

Yep. There was no reason for the Gold Coast to conduct business in a hotel room with the blinds drawn like they are doing something wrong and shameful.

The club gave permission to negoiate and we organised a face to face meeting with Scott and his manager and we choose a relaxing and attractive, public environment to conduct business.

A two hour meeting seems promising. I think we may have a good chance, it is just a matter if Scott wants to sign now or wait until July 1 when the Broncos and Cowboys might come to play.

DIEHARD
23-02-06, 07:54 AM
Bring Prince home

The Gold Coast Titans' heavy hitters began their hard sell on Scott Prince yesterday but their first target was his heart, not his bank balance.

The club's managing director Michael Searle, coach John Cartwright and football manager Scott Sattler yesterday met with Prince and his manager Steve Robinson at a Sydney restaurant.

The meeting was a major appetiser before the Titans present a formal proposal to Prince by February 28 in an attempt to attract him to the Gold Coast for the club's debut into the NRL in 2007.

Searle, who said he had spent three weeks researching what were the premiership-winning captain's 'hot buttons', said the meeting was about making Prince comfortable with the Gold Coast and the Titans.

"We did not talk finance at all," said Searle of the two-hour meeting.

"We decided we would just sit there today and let the relationship build and explore each other's personalities and see how it felt.

"On that basis I will now go and put together an offer that we will present to his manager.

"I did not want to cloud it with money because I don't think the decision should be about money anyway.

"I am happy to pay the kid what he is worth but I think the decision should be more about his family and the opportunities of lifestyle on the Gold Coast that should be the first priority.

"The money will come anyway. He is an Australian halfback so he will be reasonably well paid."

Robinson said the meeting was simply a chance for his client, Prince, to get to know Searle and Cartwright.

"He knows Satts, but he did not know Carty and Searle. So it was just a time to have a chat. If he leans their way then we will have more talks," he said.

Prince has been given permission by the Tigers to talk to the three Queensland NRL clubs before the June 30 deadline.

The Cowboys, Broncos and Titans all showed initial interest in the halfback. However the Cowboys have since withdrawn from the race.

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett was to have called Prince yesterday, but last night club CEO Bruno Cullen had not heard from Bennett and said that no decision on Prince had been made.

According to Robinson, the Broncos were still part of the tender process for Prince.

"Yes, as of the last time I spoke to Bruno, which was yesterday, they are still very much a part of this," he said.

Searle said yesterday's meeting only enhanced his opinion of Prince.

"Meeting Scott today was very refreshing," said Searle.

"Satts has given him a wrap a lot of times and he just seems like a really sincere, genuine kid and I think it is going to be the toughest decision of the kid's life.

"You can tell that it is weighing on him heavily already. He has obviously thought long and hard about it. Coming home to Queensland is attractive to him.

"I would not like to be in his shoes, but hopefully we have done enough to convince him the Gold Coast is the right choice for him."

Searle did not underplay how keen they were to have Prince aboard.

"If Scott does make a decision to come here it could possibly be one of the biggest announcements we make this year because, what it will do, it will create confidence among other players," he said.

"They can see the quality of the players we are signing and they know they will be playing with a good football side and that will lead to a lot more signings."

Source: Gold Coast Bulletin

lonegull
23-02-06, 08:53 AM
i see there are some nice photo's of scott his manager and the titans crew on some of the news sights some of these sights are saying secret meeting but micheal has said openly that they were going to sydney to meet with prince and his manager gee i get angry with the media sometimes potraying the gold coast as the bad ones in dealing

Dakink
23-02-06, 08:55 AM
i see there are some nice photo's of scott his manager and the titans crew on some of the news sights some of these sights are saying secret meeting but micheal has said openly that they were going to sydney to meet with prince and his manager gee i get angry with the media sometimes potraying the gold coast as the bad ones in dealing

I think I agree there, the odd fullstop would help LOL!

Titanium_BD1103
23-02-06, 09:29 AM
LOL the media though never portrayed the Gold Coast as doing anything wrong.. ;).. They were there to get this piece on Prince and the Gold Coast and show how things were going on.. when Benny 'sore loser' Elias was also there and they decided to ask him what he thought, and he said exactly what he thought.. :laugh: :laugh:

No one was portraying what was done was wrong or tacky, except FOR ELIAS himself. I think Benny knows we have an upper hand on getting Prince and is trying to sling dirt at the Titans as a last resort, AND THAT IS LOW.. :(.

Benny should just accept the fact that he may lose Prince and move on... and not have sour grapes about it. As Moejoe said, if he was at Campbelltown Maccas and saw Prince and the Titans talking, he would have said the exact same thing, it makes no difference where they decided to hold these talks.. OK BENNY.. :(

Further more, your club allowed them to occur, and Benny had no right to say the things he did about Prince and his manager, they did nothing wrong IMO.. :)

FINALLY HOW DARE he say that if I had to choose between playing alongside Preston and Benji I know which one I would choose. THEY ARE NOT A PART OF THIS DISCUSSION and that was an all low to bring them into it... that wreaked of jealousy and Benny should be better than that...sadly he isn't... and I am seriously annoyed... :box: :box:

DIEHARD
25-02-06, 09:04 AM
Calls to axe Prince

Wests icons have savaged off-contract Tigers captain Scott Prince for parading around Sydney with Gold Coast officials - calling on Tigers coach Tim Sheens to strip the star halfback of the club captaincy.

In a heavy-handed rebuke aimed at Prince opening negotiations with the Titans prior to the start of season 2006, retired league legends Les Boyd and Tom Raudonikis have branded the Tigers skipper "disloyal".

The Saturday Daily Telegraph understands four-time premiership-winning coach Sheens will seriously consider dumping Prince as Tigers leader if he snubs Wests in favour of the Gold Coast.

"I wouldn't let him be captain, I don't even think he's that great a loss, my attitude would be let him go if he wants to go," Boyd said.

"It's not like he's irreplaceable, the bloke has only had one good year on the back of a great performance by his team.

"Realistically the Tigers have made his career so let him take off if he wants to, there's no point keeping someone if they don't want to be there.

"He's shown no loyalty to the club so I'd even look at dropping him from the team and throwing other halfbacks in to see who else is out there. Let him play A-grade."

Kangaroo tourist Prince held negotiations with Gold Coast officials at upmarket Sydney restaurant Kingsleys Steak and Crabhouse in Woolloomooloo last Wednesday.

The Titans have until next Tuesday to table a formal offer to the Tigers halfback, with Prince's manager Steve Robinson pushing for a five-year package with the Gold Coast franchise.

Wests football manager Warren McDonnell will meet Robinson on the same day to present a counter offer from the Tigers.

Prince will then have until Friday to make a decision, although Robinson has indicated they may seek a one-week extension.

In a signal of the potential backlash surrounding a Prince decision to depart the Tigers, former Wests and NSW Origin coach Tom Raudonikis warned a switch to the Titans may breed "disharmony" at the premiers.

Raudonikis likened the situation to when retired international hooker Jim Serdaris signed with Manly mid-1995 before finishing the season in reserve grade for Wests.

"Prince has got a year to go right but if he does decide to leave and then his form drops, the coach has got a problem," Raudonikis said.

"If a few things start to go wrong and his mind seems likes it's elsewhere maybe the coach has to think about taking the captaincy off him.

"It looks like he's going to show no loyalty to Wests, which breeds disharmony and unrest.

"It happened when I was coaching in '95 and it leaked out that Jim Serdaris had signed with Manly.

"His mind seemed like it was focused on other things and I had to drop him to reserve grade because he was no use to me."

Wests chief executive Steve Noyce suggested the Tigers were aware of the potential unrest the Prince saga may create.

But the Tigers supremo cited the Melbourne Storm-Manly imbroglio with Matt Orford last season as an example of why the premiers decided to resolve the issue before the season.

"Clearly it's a little bit unusual that your captain is involved in discussions with other clubs before the season," Noyce said.

"But given the situation we thought this was the best way to handle it and try and lay all our cards on the table before the start of the season."

Retired Balmain and Test front row icon Steve Roach was another Tigers legend dumbfounded at Prince's anticipated defection to the Titans.

"I can't believe these blokes looking to make hasty decisions about switching clubs after you've just won a premiership and you could become an icon in the Wests Tigers area," Roach said.

"What do these blokes want? If the game these days is just all about money then leave me out."

The Daily Telegraph

DIEHARD
25-02-06, 09:13 AM
Titans clear the air to ensure cap fits for Prince

Gold Coast managing director Michael Searle met NRL salary cap auditor Ian Schubert to clear aspects of the deal the new club proposes to offer Wests Tigers halfback Scott Prince.

The pair met in Sydney on Wednesday, before Searle and other Titans representatives got together with Prince and his manager, Steve Robinson, for lunch.

Gold Coast will forward their offer to the Tigers skipper on Tuesday, and Prince, who is off contract at the end of this season, will then see what the Tigers have to offer before making a decision on where he will play from next year.

Searle stressed that his meeting with Schubert was not a nervous reaction to news that had broken the previous day about the salary cap drama the New Zealand Warriors are facing.

Rather, it was a process the Gold Coast had decided to follow with every high-profile signing from the time they won entry to the competition.

"We're just making sure we're transparent with everything we do and that when we get to the end of our first season in the competition, there are no salary cap issues that come back to haunt us," Searle said yesterday.

"I didn't want to get to the end of negotiations with Scott and - if we're fortunate enough to sign him - find down the track that some element of our offer wasn't OK under the rules.

"That's why I met with Ian and it wasn't the first time. I've met with him on other contracts as well. Sometimes you can read a clause in a rule and your interpretation might later turn out to be wrong, so it's easier to run it past him."

Elements that apply to Gold Coast's offer for Prince could include relocation expenses and educational preparation of the player for a post-football career.

Searle said that if Prince did decide to join the Titans, it would be for a lifestyle change as much as anything else.

"If we were in a position to throw money at everyone we would have entered the race for Matt Orford when he was the first big-name halfback to come off contract after we were admitted to the NRL," Searle said.

"We simply can't afford to spend 15 to 20 per cent of our money under the salary cap on one player. It would be irresponsible of us when we've got to fill an entire squad and have some depth. I'm confident we'll be competitive for Scott's signature, but our appeal will be about a change of lifestyle as much as it will be about money."

Source: http://www.SMH.com.au

Dakink
25-02-06, 09:42 AM
Even more evidence of what we all know!! These guys have their heads screwed on and are doing everything the right way.

Dakink
25-02-06, 10:01 AM
On reading the Telecrap article, geez they are making it difficult on the club to retain him arent they? Why would a player go back to a club where people are baggin him for doing something they gave him permission to try and sort out before the season starts.

Titanium_BD1103
25-02-06, 10:46 AM
You took the words right out of my mouth Dakink.. :)

I mean it looks less and less likely that Prince is going to stay at the Tigers. We know from the media reports that he was upset about the way Benny Elias was going on and now Boyd, Raudonikis and Roach all saying he should not have done what he has done.

Boyd and Raudonikis are asking for him to be sacked as captain or even dropped to Premier League in Boyd's case... that will make Prince even more annoyed and more determined to go to the GC.... :D

It seems like the Wests Tigers have handly this one really poorly and almost have self destructed in the process. I am highly surprised that comments like these are coming out though, from Benny yes, sour grapes, but the others... ? :whatd:

The Tigers should be happy he is getting it over and done at the start of the season, it shows how much Prince wants to make sure that if this is his final season with the Tigers it is a good one. Instead they are going about like he is the evil one and they have been made victims, wake up to yourselves, it is better it is done this way then destablise the team half way through a season.

Something tells me that things at the Premiers are not as rosy as first thought... ;)

On the GC.. well done for doing this the right way and checking everything first.. this is a club that knows what it is doing and is ensuring it learns from the mistakes made by others, and that is a good thing.. keep kicking goals there Searle and Co.. :)

TITANS007
25-02-06, 02:54 PM
I wouldn't blame the guy for leaving after the way everyone is treating him down there.
Who wants people like that in your corner?
Fans are able to be fickle and change the team they go for quite easily because they have no real ties to a team. But for board members and supposed "Greats" of the game to carry on like 12 year olds is just ridiculous! I think it's especially "Tacky" that Boyd and Raudonikis are sledging him so much when they both left Balmain or Wests to go to other clubs offering them more money!! Here's Princey saying all along that "It's not for the money, it's for my family" and they bag him for that!! Hypocriticisim at it's best!!

Queenslander
25-02-06, 06:17 PM
Calls to axe Prince
By James Hooper
February 25, 2006

WESTS icons have savaged off-contract Tigers captain Scott Prince for parading around Sydney with Gold Coast officials - calling on Tigers coach Tim Sheens to strip the star halfback of the club captaincy.

In a heavy-handed rebuke aimed at Prince opening negotiations with the Titans prior to the start of season 2006, retired league legends Les Boyd and Tom Raudonikis have branded the Tigers skipper "disloyal".

The Saturday Daily Telegraph understands four-time premiership-winning coach Sheens will seriously consider dumping Prince as Tigers leader if he snubs Wests in favour of the Gold Coast.

"I wouldn't let him be captain, I don't even think he's that great a loss, my attitude would be let him go if he wants to go," Boyd said.

"It's not like he's irreplaceable, the bloke has only had one good year on the back of a great performance by his team.

"Realistically the Tigers have made his career so let him take off if he wants to, there's no point keeping someone if they don't want to be there.

"He's shown no loyalty to the club so I'd even look at dropping him from the team and throwing other halfbacks in to see who else is out there. Let him play A-grade."

Kangaroo tourist Prince held negotiations with Gold Coast officials at upmarket Sydney restaurant Kingsleys Steak and Crabhouse in Woolloomooloo last Wednesday.

The Titans have until next Tuesday to table a formal offer to the Tigers halfback, with Prince's manager Steve Robinson pushing for a five-year package with the Gold Coast franchise.

Wests football manager Warren McDonnell will meet Robinson on the same day to present a counter offer from the Tigers.

Prince will then have until Friday to make a decision, although Robinson has indicated they may seek a one-week extension.

In a signal of the potential backlash surrounding a Prince decision to depart the Tigers, former Wests and NSW Origin coach Tom Raudonikis warned a switch to the Titans may breed "disharmony" at the premiers.

Raudonikis likened the situation to when retired international hooker Jim Serdaris signed with Manly mid-1995 before finishing the season in reserve grade for Wests.

"Prince has got a year to go right but if he does decide to leave and then his form drops, the coach has got a problem," Raudonikis said.

"If a few things start to go wrong and his mind seems likes it's elsewhere maybe the coach has to think about taking the captaincy off him.

"It looks like he's going to show no loyalty to Wests, which breeds disharmony and unrest.

"It happened when I was coaching in '95 and it leaked out that Jim Serdaris had signed with Manly.

"His mind seemed like it was focused on other things and I had to drop him to reserve grade because he was no use to me."

Wests chief executive Steve Noyce suggested the Tigers were aware of the potential unrest the Prince saga may create.

But the Tigers supremo cited the Melbourne Storm-Manly imbroglio with Matt Orford last season as an example of why the premiers decided to resolve the issue before the season.

"Clearly it's a little bit unusual that your captain is involved in discussions with other clubs before the season," Noyce said.

"But given the situation we thought this was the best way to handle it and try and lay all our cards on the table before the start of the season."

Retired Balmain and Test front row icon Steve Roach was another Tigers legend dumbfounded at Prince's anticipated defection to the Titans.

"I can't believe these blokes looking to make hasty decisions about switching clubs after you've just won a premiership and you could become an icon in the Wests Tigers area," Roach said.

"What do these blokes want? If the game these days is just all about money then leave me out."

The Daily Telegraph

lonegull
25-02-06, 08:21 PM
Does anyone think these players rubbishing prince will help the titans cause,I personally think it will, I read also today that Tim Sheens is thinking of taking the captiancy away from him, poor bloke remember the tigers gave him permission to talk in the first place!! :curse:

Eel 33
25-02-06, 08:32 PM
For Prince to be putting his family and his team ahead of himself says alot about him. The Tigers management allowed him to talk to the 3 QLD clubs in the first place. The comments of these so-called "greats" are so poor its not funny. Their comments should be aimed at Tigers management first for allowing Prince to talk. If Prince then dragged the team thru the mud then signed with the Titans, then the comments would probably be valid. Lets just see what happens in the next few weeks. If I remember correctly, there wasn't a single ripple about the Laffrnchi signing, irrespective of the stature of the player.

Queenslander
25-02-06, 09:21 PM
Prince will not be a tiger next year. With so many of the Tigers fans/greats etc slamming him for talking whilst with permission from the club I am 100% confident that he will leave the club with no regrets. They should be trying to keep him not push him away. Perhaps many people from the tigers already know the Prince's decision and they are not happy with it.

Super Cronk
25-02-06, 09:24 PM
If prince isnt wearing a titans jersey in 2007 i will walk to the gold coast on my hands and burp the alphabet backwards.

Super Cronk
25-02-06, 09:27 PM
Prince will not be a tiger next year. With so many of the Tigers fans/greats etc slamming him for talking whilst with permission from the club I am 100% confident that he will leave the club with no regrets. They should be trying to keep him not push him away. Perhaps many people from the tigers already know the Prince's decision and they are not happy with it.

looks like deegan has a **** load more letters to write... :laugh:

Queenslander
25-02-06, 09:56 PM
If prince isnt wearing a titans jersey in 2007 i will walk to the gold coast on my hands and burp the alphabet backwards.

Breaking News: Scott Prince is signed by the Broncos :rotflmao: Just kidding :laugh:

Queenslander
26-02-06, 11:00 AM
An article in the Sunday Mail about Benny Elias comments finished with this, which I found interesting:

The offer to Scott Prince which will be made either tomorrow (Monday) or Tuesday will not include the carrot of being the club's inaugural captain.

..::Coops::..
26-02-06, 09:41 PM
i don't see what Prince has done wrong - he was given permission by the Tigers to negotiate with QLD clubs, an he said he wants it finalised before teh beginning of teh season as to not disrupt the club.

yet all these former Wests and Balmain players are bagging him out saying he is disloyal - they aren't being very loyal to thier current club captain and half back. if they want him to stay why are they bagging him?? it's pushing him further away

Prince's decison is to do with family - not money, and if it wasn't for his homesick family he most definately would be at the Tigers next season.

Titanium_BD1103
27-02-06, 09:49 AM
Well people some interesting developments that the Media is going to have a pick up on today hopefully.. :)

On the sports wrap up on the Triple M network yesterday...

-The Australian reporter said that he talked to Scott Prince after the match on Saturday Night and he said Scott was filthy with what had happened over the past week and was extremely disappointed at the Tigers for the way things were run.

Scott admitted after the loss to the Sea Eagles that there is an attitude problem at the club ATM and they haven't been training strongly instead joking around, including himself. Scott also stated that his family and wife are playing a bigger role in his decision day by day.

- Benny Elias was also on this program. Benny stated he was disappointed in the way the media was making a sandstorm out of a molehill, and how he was prepared to accept Scott Prince's decision either way, but really hopes he stays a Tiger and signs long term.

Benny pretty much stated that he reckons Scott should be stripped as Captain if he becomes a Titan, but refuse to say it formally, and he also said he respected the Titans for the way they handle themselves, but was disappointed in Prince and his manager for allowing things to occur the way they did... ;)

- Broncos CEO Bruno Cullen was on and stated that he would not sign the agreement Scott Prince's manager had for clubs to sign Scott in the next week. HE DID state however that if Scott Prince remained on the open market by June 30, the Broncos would definitely go after him.. :)

SOMETHING TELLS ME AFTER ALL THIS.. that Scott Prince is now almost certain to become a Titan, it will take a lot of work this week by Wests to get him to stay, and even then it might not be enough.. ;)

Dakink
01-03-06, 03:18 AM
From the Telecrap;

Prince to quit Tigers
Exclusive by Dean Ritchie
March 1, 2006

TEST halfback Scott Prince will quit premiership-winning Wests Tigers and join the Gold Coast Titans.

The Daily Telegraph has learned Prince will reveal within a week that he has signed a three or four-year deal with the new NRL club.

The news will come as a major blow to the Tigers before they even begin their premiership defence.

Wests Tigers and Gold Coast officials were last night claiming Prince had still not reached a decision.

But well-placed sources in rugby league say Prince has decided to leave the Wests Tigers primarily because his family wants to live in Queensland.

Both Scott and wife Kristy were born in Queensland. He will play out this season with the Tigers before returning north of the border.

Wests Tigers were last night still clinging to hope. "We have heard the rumour and maybe I am being naive but I've got a gut feeling he will stay," said chief executive Steve Noyce.

Prince's manager Steve Robinson said pointedly: "It's a difficult decision to make and it's about a whole lot more than just dollars and cents."

Gold Coast officials claim they have offered less for Prince than the Tigers have. They formally put forward their offer to Prince on Monday.

Prince will meet with the Wests Tigers again tomorrow. Yesterday was the final day Prince had been permitted by Wests Tigers to negotiate with other clubs.

"We gave him permission to negotiate until the end of February," Noyce said.

"After that time (Tigers recruitment manager) Warren McDonnell will catch up with Scott's manager.

"Scott has been good for our club; we have been good for Scott.

"Hopefully we can create an opportunity to extend our partnership.

"Tim Sheens has re-signed and Tim and Scott enjoy a good relationship.

"Scott enjoys the brand of football we play and we are a club where players want to be."

Titans executive director Michael Searle claimed he had not been told Prince would definitely be signing.

"The offer is non-negotiable and we're hopeful he will consider it," Searle said.

"We think his decision will be more about family than finances.

"We have left the term open. We are looking at three to four years.

"With his years out of the game injured, we think Scott is two years younger in the legs than his age. It's like he's 23, not 25."

The Daily Telegraph

Please let them be even close to right this time!

lonegull
01-03-06, 08:23 AM
its being splashed round in all the papers that its a done deal with scotty and the way i see it his is coming up for his family not the money because the titans offer was a lot less than the tigers i just hope its announced sooner rather than later

Super Cronk
01-03-06, 09:51 AM
LOL...everybody knew he was going to sign with the titans.

Queenslander
01-03-06, 11:22 AM
LOL...everybody knew he was going to sign with the titans.
:laugh: Even a person living under a rock knew the Prince was going to sign with the Titans

Dakink
01-03-06, 11:52 AM
Wouldnt count the chickens just yet - it is looking likely, but nothing is set in stone yet, so till we get the sig Im holding the bubbly back.

Titanium_BD1103
01-03-06, 12:24 PM
Well then.. looks like the cat is out of the Bag LOL.. and Scott will sign with the Titans... :)

I must say it is looking promising but as Dakink said, don't count chicken before they hatch, I will hold my absolute glee until after the pen signs the paper.. :D

DeeGan
01-03-06, 03:31 PM
Scott Prince had the Gold Coast Titans final offer submitted yesterday meeting the set deadline - it is now in the hands of Scott Prince. No deal has been made between the two parties at this point.

Let's hope it is good news over the next 7 days as Prince will look to finalise before the start of the NRL season.

DeeGan
01-03-06, 08:56 PM
From FOXSPORTS.com.au

Prince race 'far from run, won'
By Todd Balym
March 1, 2006

NRL newcomer Gold Coast Titans denied today that it had signed Wests Tigers captain Scott Prince for the club's debut season in 2007.

"It is complete speculation," Gold Coast director Michael Searle said of The Daily Telegraph report today that said Prince had signed a three- or four-year deal with the Titans.

"No signed agreement has come back to me. I thought I would have a copy by now if the deal was done.

"We have put our offer in and my understanding is that he did not have an opportunity to the see offer until last night.

"We are hopeful the Queensland card and family card plays well for us, but he is in a premiership team and it's a big call for the kid and a tough decision for him over the next week.

"He may be our highest-paid player but he won't be the highest-paid in the league, not if he comes to the Gold Coast Titans.

"That is probably just a result of being an expansion licence.

"We need depth and would not be able to commit funding like that to one player. We have got 30 players to sign and getting depth is a big challenge.

"The emotion card has been played but (Wests Tigers chief executive Steve Noyce) has not played his card yet - which is a premiership-winning football team."

The Titans are believed to have offered Prince contract worth $350,000 per year, around $100,000 less than Wests Tigers are expected to offer.

Prince's decision is simple: return home to Queensland and be near family, earning less money in the challenging position of a new club; or remain captain of a premiership-winning side that is on the way up, and become one of league's highest-paid players.

Noyce meanwhile said the race for Prince's signature had not even begun. Wests Tigers would use its proven winning formula to try to win Prince over in the next couple of days.

"I don't think (money) is the be all and end all," Noyce said.

"There's a lot of other factors. "Remuneration is clearly important, and he is a fine marquee player - and certainly the club will make an offer that is attractive - but other things are important, too.

"The club plays a great brand of football. The No.6 can play, the No.1 can play, the No.9 can play, and the forwards are going forward. They are all things that enter a halfback's mind, not just money.

"We have got a few good cards to play and, at this stage, we have not been asked to play any of them so we will see what happens."

Prince will meet Wests Tigers tomorrow, with an announcement expected next week.

Dakink
01-03-06, 09:03 PM
Interesting - the new club and being part of it when it done well is always an attraction. Then so is playing with a team that has just won the comp - though I have a feeling they wont even be close this year.

lonegull
02-03-06, 08:20 AM
i just hope the decision is made in the next week so it doesnt drag out

Dakink
02-03-06, 09:00 PM
Good to see two clubs going about the issue the right way - minimising the chance for bad blood, and allowing the two to work together in the future.

Focus on Prince's future
By Brent Read
March 2, 2006

SCOTT Prince launched the 2006 season in Sydney last night but the focus as far as the Wests Tigers captain is concerned continues to be whether he will be playing with the premiers or Gold Coast in 2007.

Prince, joined on stage by representatives of the six other sides to have won the premiership since the NRL's inception, made an emotional speech in which he paid tribute to his deceased father Les, and spoke with pride of the Tigers' premiership win.

Not surprisingly, there was no reference to his future, which has been the subject of speculation since he was given permission to negotiate with the three Queensland clubs last month.

Prince has been strongly linked to the Gold Coast, which enters the NRL next season, but all parties yesterday denied a deal had been struck.

Before taking the stage for his official duties, Prince insisted he was still considering his options.

"At the moment I haven't spoken to the Wests Tigers about their offer," Prince told Channel Seven.

"Once I do that I will sit down with the family and have a really good talk about it and decide from there."

Asked about the difficulty he faced in making a decision, Prince said: "One aspect is football is good and lifestyle is not, (the other) is lifestyle is great but football?

"That's what I am faced with at the moment. That's why it's such a hard decision."

Advertisement:
Prince's manager Steve Robinson will meet the Tigers today while Prince will fly to Brisbane for a Queensland State of Origin camp.

As revealed in The Australian yesterday, Gold Coast has tabled a bid of $1 million for three years, with the option of a further season which would make the deal worth about $1.4 million.

It's understood the Tigers could offer a deal worth more than $400,000 a season.

"We have a few good cards to play and we haven't been called to play any of them, so we'll see what happens," Tigers chief executive Steve Noyce said yesterday.

Asked about the Gold Coast's offer, Robinson replied: "It looks pretty good. Once we see what the premiers are talking about, I think there will be a decision.

"I don't think it will be prolonged."

Robinson and Noyce were among the 500-strong crowd who watched Prince, the Clive Churchill medallist from last year's grand final, launch the start of the new season.

It may be his final duty as Tigers captain, with suggestions he could be stripped of the captaincy for the remainder of this season should he decide to join the Gold Coast in 2007.

In a poignant reflection on his career, Prince spoke of his father's pride when he made his first grade debut with the Cowboys in 1998.

He also touched on the Tigers' historic premiership win.

NRL chief executive David Gallop also took the stage to introduce the NRL's new advertising campaign and warn of the need to limit damage done to the game's code by off-field issues.

Gallop made a pointed reference to the Warriors' salary cap scandal, which has dominated headlines in recent days.

"Off-field issues will always be there to distract us and even damage us unless they are dealt with properly," Gallop said.

"The past 48 hours has been another example of the need to stay focused on the things that keep our sponsors and fans so loyal to our game."

Gallop also said the game would never become smug in the face of threats from rival codes.

However, he said rugby league supporters could look to the future with a genuine sense of optimism.

"While we will never be complacent about the level of competition we face, we can clearly look ahead with a sense of optimism as we plan for a new team on the Gold Coast and Monday night football in 2007, and the game's centenary and World Cup in 2008."

The Australian

Dakink
03-03-06, 09:07 AM
The Tigers have made their offer to Prince and expect the matter to be resolved one way or the other before the start of next week. Either way we have our halfback or know to look elsewhere!

Tigers offer princely sum
By Dean Ritchie
March 3, 2006

WESTS Tigers formally tabled their offer to halfback Scott Prince yesterday.

The offer was made during a meeting between club recruitment officer Warren McDonnell and Prince's manager, Steve Robinson.

The deal is said to be worth more than $350,000 a season.

Wests Tigers chief executive Steve Noyce hopes the Prince saga will be resolved before the NRL kick-off next week.

"We think that the Wests Tigers have plenty of appeal," Noyce said last night.

"Terms and conditions were discussed (at the meeting).

"In February we spoke about resolving this before the start of the season."

The Daily Telegraph

Titanium_BD1103
03-03-06, 10:25 AM
That's a fair bit of money.. but I was expecting more.. ;)

I think with the family pulling so strongly and the fact that this deal has no extra offers attached, as far as we are aware of... there is more of a chance being with GC in 2007... :)

But as I said before, I will cheer and be happy when the ink is signed and sealed... :D

DeeGan
03-03-06, 10:30 AM
This won't come down to money IMO - it is cheaper living up here as well.

I would expect a decision Monday or Tuesday.

DIEHARD
03-03-06, 12:22 PM
And so ends the Scott Prince thread. He is now a Titan and this thread is a footnote in our history.

lonegull
03-03-06, 12:30 PM
you beauty the thread can now rest in peace