PDA

View Full Version : Titans look to new game day innovations

DIEHARD
30-12-13, 09:07 AM
Titans hope to win back support with fan engagement and new technology strategies

THE Gold Coast Titans will overhaul their game- day experience, placing a bigger focus on fan engagement and new technology to win back the region's support.

Titans boss Graham Annesley confirmed the club was assessing its home game operations with new pre-game, half-time and during-play activities to be introduced.

Annesley also said the club was determined to extend its fan base after home crowds dropped for the fifth consecutive year.

"We're looking at our game day presentation but haven't settled on anything," *Annesley said.

"We want to make coming to a Titans game a bit unique and different to going to any other game of rugby league.

"It's all about fun up here and we want people to come to a game, whether they're hardcore league fans or not, and walk away saying it was a good night. We just want people to have a good time."

The Titans attracted 172,685 fans to home games in 2012 at an average of 14,405 a game and that dropped slightly this year to 168,342 (14,028 a game) although they took one home game in Darwin.

It's been a steady drop from the 21,618 they averaged in 2008 with the club unable to put a finger on why fans have turned away.

They have failed to make the finals for the past three years and access to the Robina stadium can be difficult.

Annesley said the club's on-field performance was its major focus but fans had to be entertained regardless of the result.

"The football is the most important aspect from our point of view and for hardcore fans it is as well but we want people to come along for other reasons too," he said.

"There's a lot of entertainment options on the Gold Coast. There's people who aren't members who are trying to decide what to do to fill their leisure time. We want them to come along and sample a Titans game and see it as a day of entertainment just as they would with any of the theme parks or other options available on the Gold Coast.

"The Titans already do a pretty good job of this. I've been to a few games in previous seasons but you can always do things better."

It's likely the club will implement social media strategies to engage fans during games, like the AFL's Suns do at Metricon Stadium, while other pre-game entertainment will be added.

Fans could have their tweets and photographs displayed on the big screen and competitions could be conducted through Facebook and other social media platforms.

"Engaging the fans, not only at half-time and before, but during the game is important," Annesley said.

"People want to be entertained at any event. They walk away with a view on the experience they've had.

"It's not going to be anything world shattering. We're not talking about getting bands in or things like that.

"It's about engaging the fans as much as possible because if they don't, then we don't have a club.

"The hardcore fans will keep coming back but there's other people that want to be entertained."

As far as technology goes, the Titans are a far cry from the homeground of NFL side, the Dallas Cowboys.

The Cowboys stadium at Arlington Texas features world's largest retractable roof, boasts a capacity of over 100,000 and a $1.2 billion price tag that dwarf the competition around the NFL.

But the stadium's signature "bigger than Texas" feature is a pair of the world's largest HDTVs that hang 30 metres above the field.

Source: http://www.goldcoast.com.au

Titanic
30-12-13, 02:06 PM
Did I miss something? What was the relevance of the Dallas Cowboys reference ... that really is a stretch?

Legion Dan
30-12-13, 03:46 PM
I hope the the mascots will still be involved in pre game/half time entertainment

Hail Sezer
30-12-13, 05:16 PM
I hope the the mascots will still be involved in pre game/half time entertainment

Yeah except for that house one, that's just potato.

Coaster
30-12-13, 07:49 PM
Yeah except for that house one, that's just potato.

All the mascots are ******s.
The house is just a mistake.

I liked the commercial where rankin Plssed all over him

Toads
30-12-13, 08:01 PM
Did I miss something? What was the relevance of the Dallas Cowboys reference ... that really is a stretch?

I was left scratchin' my head wit that one as well..

The only relevance I can draw on between the two is how they're both Sporting Franchises. The Dallas Cowboys have become a successful Franchise and seemed to have proved how to go about achieving market potential, and the Titans Franchise is completely opposite end of that spectrum..

Titanic
30-12-13, 10:32 PM
Why don't we round-up a few Christians and feed them to some lions at halftime?

DIEHARD
31-12-13, 03:51 AM
We are gonna have to do a lot more than post tweets on the big screens!

DIEHARD
31-12-13, 03:53 AM
Come on guys. Let's not drag on fighting.

Toads
31-12-13, 09:00 AM
Huh, whose fighting?

I maybe having another shot at management, but when they cut us like they did (forum hosting), and then read BS like what was mentioned in original post about engaging the fans. Well, it does leave someone like me a lil' pissed. With the forum, they had the perfect platform for engaging the fans. But I guess they were never open to criticism.

It just goes to show how outta touch they are. Because they're of the idea that hardcore fans will keep sticking around. Little do they know, their poor management is starting to eat into those numbers (hardcore fans) as well.

DIEHARD
31-12-13, 09:23 AM
Not you Toads. Just mean Coaster and Dan. I'd love to move on. Take things as they come.

DIEHARD
31-12-13, 09:28 AM
But let's cut Graham some slack, he is new on the scene. We gave David May a go. He proved himself and took the criticism in his stride and made good on it.

I do think game promotion is a pyramid and this type of stuff is a bit gimmicky and belongs at the top of it. I think if you get the fundamentals right that is the main thing. Ticketing, Memberships, promos, timeslots, QCUP over NYC, start winning, car parks, do something to promote Broncos, Cowboys and Warriors games, facebook events for each match, get some entertainment and culture in the precinct.... But it's very hard to "reboot" your supporter base. It'll take time.

Titanic
31-12-13, 11:27 AM
I'm totally peeved, like Toads I suggest is too, that DH didn't include me in the negative mob :( I demand to be included as my staff constantly remind me that grumpy old men was way before its time and that I have modelled my management style on theirs. However, I am all for giving Annersley a chance, as we firstly have no choice about that and secondly we can always hope.

Regarding the topic, to me it's a simple formula: don't mix your messages when you're marketing, so in our case we need to promote Titans Rugby League and nothing else unless it is closely associated with the other 50% of what happens each week which is the opposition. By the nature of the development of the Coast's community we have the opposition entrenched locally, so let's play to our unique characteristic.

We should include juniors actively and their key personnel. We must have more games on game day as has been mentioned. Three quality games is value for money: QCup, NYC and the lads would be a realistic ask of any supporters' time and represents a cross-section of clubs base ... both player and fan.

To be honest, we can afford for most games of the year to allow juniors in for nought and I mean zero, perhaps on a first in best dressed basis up to say 3,000 ... why not? Gimmicks are fine but approaching the market face to face works a lot better than trickery.

Mexican titan
31-12-13, 11:32 AM
But let's cut Graham some slack, he is new on the scene. We gave David May a go. He proved himself and took the criticism in his stride and made good on it.

I do think game promotion is a pyramid and this type of stuff is a bit gimmicky and belongs at the top of it. I think if you get the fundamentals right that is the main thing. Ticketing, Memberships, promos, timeslots, QCUP over NYC, start winning, car parks, do something to promote Broncos, Cowboys and Warriors games, facebook events for each match, get some entertainment and culture in the precinct.... But it's very hard to "reboot" your supporter base. It'll take time.

Agree with all of that DH. However I think all that is needed is to win fairly consistently and play a good style of footy - simple eh?
Oh, and not make obvious stuff ups like playing local Bycroft Cup games and other comps in direct competition to Titans home games. Now that the NRL have a fixed draw for 20 weeks there is no excuses for game time clashes.

DIEHARD
31-12-13, 12:18 PM
I'm totally peeved, like Toads I suggest is too, that DH didn't include me in the negative mob :( I demand to be included

As you wish you grumpy bastard!

But I didnt mean Coaster is in a negative bunch, he is a positive force in this universe and has picked me up off my ass many times and recharged me.

I certainly didnt mean to deter anyone for making valid criticism. Keep it coming.

Toads
31-12-13, 01:04 PM
Alright, I will try 'n lay off it again. As I've said numerous times before, I wish they got it all in order so I got nothing to ***** about, and only have concerns of how the team will perform on the field, during the season.

Anyway, I'm hoping to purchase a 5XL Heritage Jersey next week (nothing quite highlights a beer gut like horizontal Butcher's Stripes), I do wonder what dilemma/s I'm about to endure just to get one though..

DIEHARD
31-12-13, 01:48 PM
You're all good Toads.

Titanic
31-12-13, 02:30 PM
That's more like it ... now run at me again!

Coaster
31-12-13, 07:05 PM
Afraid I won't be joining in the chorus of kumbya

Toads
31-12-13, 07:11 PM
That's more like it ... now run at me again!

:p

C-Whiz
31-12-13, 07:21 PM
The thing I see as a problem is making the distinction between members and walk-ups.

Like i said in other threads, offering members the chance to purchase a hot dog, chips and soft drink on the way into the stadium at a very reasonable cost was a masterstroke that rewards members and helps make a day of it.

Straight up, i am definitely going to be taking advantage of this next year if it is still on offer, and it will make our game day longer, cheaper and more enjoyable. it's a win-win, everyone is happy, and it is exactly the sort of thing that can only be seen as a positive.

Now, they could have combo style ticket combined with a food package/option, so you can purchase ahead of time, online, and get this offer via Titans HQ for a pre-paid hot dog, chips and drink when you buy your ticket. They get to enjoy a feed with the members and get a better game day experience. This could then rub off on the walk-ups who see the benefits of membership, or at least see it as a better way to enjoy a day at the footy without being ripped off by the stadium.

C-Whiz
31-12-13, 07:27 PM
For the record I have ZERO interest in reading other peoples tweets on the big screen.

Personally, I don't have a twitter account and have no interest in it at all. Also, I am also doing my best to shun Facebook, and probably go on for about 5 minutes once a week or so.

I cannot see people going to games just to see if their tweet makes the big screen, but I don't put much past peoples ego's and narcissim these days.

I would suggest lucky number/seat/ticket draws at random times. Everyone loves a prize! Kiss cam is always (ok, usually) fun, and costs nothing. Maybe a dance cam with some tunes flowing? If you bust moves for 5 seconds, you get a voucher for something.

Simple things, low cost, fun and amusing that engages the majority of the crowd, that can be done at almost any time and require no interference with the ground or the game.

DIEHARD
31-12-13, 08:01 PM
Banner competitions and best dressed.

Prizes for people who wear jerseys.

Supergoose
01-01-14, 01:58 AM
We need to include more game related involvement. By this I mean, not just chanting Defence! And Titans! At the 60 minute mark. We need some songs (love the South Sydney Botany Road thing) and other crowd interactions where we can all join in as one. I for one, dislike the kiss cam and dance cam and anything that picks out individuals. I'd rather feel part of something bigger. If it means that technology will help us coordinate some songs and chants that aren't lead by an annoying announcer than let's do it. As much as it is a bit overdone, the whole "we will rock you" thing gets the whole crowd going. I'm not saying we need that but we need something like that, which is ours which can stir up the crowd and energize the players.

CoastSportsFan
02-01-14, 06:11 AM
Does no one realise they are just stealing what is done at Suns games? It's not innovative or new at all...

DIEHARD
02-01-14, 06:20 AM
A bit of flim flam that is done all the way around the world.

hammer
02-01-14, 08:20 AM
http://s11.postimg.org/q94g6gskz/Screen_Shot_2014_01_02_at_7_03_58_am.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
how to capture screen (http://postimage.org/app.php)

It is interesting to watch how clubs are positioning themselves in this area. The Titans are implementing strategies that follow the NRL Strategic Plan that has a strong emphasis on digital engagement. The Rabbitohs and the Bulldogs are very good in this area and I would suggest we are still developing but on the improve. The club has tried elements of this before but really haven't persevered with it and it never really took off. With any social media presence you have to be regular creators of content or otherwise your presence gets a little lost in the myriad of other incoming social media streams.
My belief with social media is that it must be firstly delivered on the terms of the fans...whatever that this (generally on mobile devices) and utilising whatever is the current dominant and emerging social media applications (and these may change regularly for example Facebook is quite unpopular with teenagers whereas Snapchat is very popular). Secondly, it must be saturated in its delivery...that is...it must be delivered in a myriad of applications and modes and mediums.
I recognise it is not for everyone...but it is the way of the future generations of Titans fans!

DIEHARD
02-01-14, 09:45 AM
I remember when hammer was calling for the Titans to use twitter before they even knew it existed.

TITAN FAN
02-01-14, 10:30 AM
South Sydney began recruiting memberships when they began winning games
Prier to that I think they had the lowest fan base/membership in the NRL

I agree with all posts in that we need to focus on families, parking, pricing, entertainment etc.

First we need bums on seats and to do that we need to win consistently

People like to back winners make the top 1 to 6 this year will pull the membership for 2015

C-Whiz
02-01-14, 12:59 PM
Does no one realise they are just stealing what is done at Suns games? It's not innovative or new at all...Do you not realise that NO ONE on this forum really cares what you have to say and have ZERO INTEREST in anything you tell us about the suns?

C-Whiz
02-01-14, 01:02 PM
i understand why people are not really interested in kiss cam or dance cam, and to be honest, I can't see myself busting out the sprikler if the cam points at me, but some people enjoy it, and more importantly, it's easy and affects no person who is not interested in it.

C-Whiz
02-01-14, 01:11 PM
Banner competitions and best dressed.

Prizes for people who wear jerseys.
Banners are something that should be actively promoted by the Titans, because it not only adds to the scenery, but it shows commitment from the fans and it should be rewarded.

Think about the money and screen time they give to ABC and Coke Zero promotions, and the effort people put into signs to get noticed, and it makes me wonder why Titans haven't asked fans to come in Titans costume for a field parade, or have a banner competition at each home game.

When you watch the cricket you see lots of people wearing costumes and getting exposure for it. Titans (and the NRL) should be encouraging punters to make the same sort of effort and reward them with some real TV time.

Think about those races they have on the field. They should make it that to be eligible you MUST be dressed in Titans fan gear or costume before they even think about letting you on the field.

C-Whiz
02-01-14, 01:14 PM
But the most important way to engage the fans is to have a TITANS SONG that we can all sing together, before, during and/or after, which would bring us all together as a UNITED group and get us all warmed up for the game.

This is still the one thing that I cannot understand why THE FANS haven't been engaged to come up with something. Forget wanna-be famous psuedo-professionals who need/want exposure with some half-a$$ed pop song, we need an ANTHEM that we can belt out together.

Smakked
02-01-14, 03:57 PM
I true club song would be awesome but not holding my breath.

TO me i go to watch footy and that's it, so couldn't care less about "Entertainment" Bring back reserves and **** off under 20's and we will be good.

DIEHARD
02-01-14, 04:24 PM
Maybe if we had David May a bit longer we'd have squeezed a club song out of him as well. ;)

Mexican titan
02-01-14, 11:23 PM
I true club song would be awesome but not holding my breath.

TO me i go to watch footy and that's it, so couldn't care less about "Entertainment" Bring back reserves and **** off under 20's and we will be good.

Strongly agree. I would like the reserves to be like the old days not a hotch potch Q Cup game featuring one of the Titans feeder clubs, where only some of our back up players will be playing. But that ain't going to happen. The NRL have thrown a few million at strengthening the feeder comps like the NSW and QCups but the only change I have noticed is the winners of both will play each other on Grand Final day.

Supergoose
03-01-14, 02:21 AM
I just came home from the Heat game and they have the whole social media engagement during the game thing turned up full bore and that's exactly what it is - a bore. What's not a bore is that the DJ/announcer merely needs to play part of a song or make a noise and everyone in the crowd claps or responds. It creates great atmosphere at the Gabba. There aren't as many opportunities but this is kind if what I'm talking about in integrating the fans with the play. When something happens, play those songs which get a response from the crowd. It's not perfect what they do at the Heat as there are plenty of similarly poor announcement like what we do which is annoying as buggery. But when the whole crowd are clapping or responding in unison it's great.

DIEHARD
03-01-14, 06:01 AM
Bringing in a Titans Reserve grade? Tough one. But no thanks. Not enough room for that AND the Queensland Cup. I want the Queensland Cup to thrive, not be butchered.

Could work in NSW not QLD.

Supergoose
03-01-14, 07:49 AM
Agree with Diehard. I would like to see QCup at Robina Stadium on game days though. If we have the two QCup feeders it should be simple enough to schedule one of them for before our game. Potential loss of revenue for the QCup club though without $s being put through their bars ad ponies on game day. Mind you other opportunities exist for them with pre and post Titans match day functions with courtesy busses etc.

Hail Sezer
03-01-14, 08:58 AM
Reserve grade is going to be introduced next year isnt it? Im all for it personally.

lonegull
03-01-14, 09:44 AM
Reserve grade is going to be introduced next year isnt it? Im all for it personally.

the way I read it is that it is only for the NSW teams, the QLD teams will still have feeder system through the Q Cup

Titanic
03-01-14, 11:45 AM
NYC, QCup and the Firsts ... great days entertainment plus I totally agree with 'Goose ... having snippets of iconic songs relating to players or particular plays is something I strongly agree with:

Big Titans tackle, cue "hehehehe wipe out", Gordon flashes over, cue "the Tequila cadence", the opposition drops the ball, cue "Roosters, Roosters, who the fark are Roosters", James bends the line cue "give me a head with hair" ... and so on (apologies for showing my age with the song selection but I'm sure you get the idea).

Mexican titan
03-01-14, 06:35 PM
Bringing in a Titans Reserve grade? Tough one. But no thanks. Not enough room for that AND the Queensland Cup. I want the Queensland Cup to thrive, not be butchered.

Could work in NSW not QLD.

Yes it is a tough one but I want to see players outside our top 17 playing in a proper reserve grade team. As the Titans have two feeder teams it is not possible. The Broncos used to have QCup games before the NRL and as they had their fringe players scattered through a few QCup teams, interest was zero.
I agree it would be hard to introduce a proper reserve grade without effecting QCup but I would have hoped there was a way. But there is no point me going on about it as it isn't going to happen. I think the intention was that the National Youth Comp (under 20's) was going to be the natural curtain raiser but we soon saw that the standard was well below NRL and the better players are running around in QCup and NSW Cup.
I am probably just not with todays trend in that people just want to turn up for one game whereas if the football was good I would make a day of it with three games.

DIEHARD
04-01-14, 08:49 AM
I just think the NRL isnt the be all end off for Rugby League. NRL reserve grade teams in QLD would be the tail wagging the dog for me.

But I'm just a traditionalist. I can totally understand the attractiveness of having ONE reserve team to simplify the process.

Perhaps if we just has one Queensland Cup side it would be better. But with so few NRL sides in Queensland, they need our support.

I am probably just not with todays trend in that people just want to turn up for one game whereas if the football was good I would make a day of it with three games.

Ive never really thought about it that way but you are right, there has been a change in culture. We need to change the culture, let people know they are getting more value with more footy and get alot more info out there about our NYC and QCUP sides. Changing culture is one of the hardest things to ever do.

hammer
04-01-14, 09:09 AM
I'm not convinced that the current system is broken and needs to change...in addition to that perhaps our expectations of the 20's competition is a little unrealistic...they are still so young and learning the game! Sometimes the best games are actually the junior games!
I wonder whether we would be having this discussion if we had a very successful junior program that led to very successful 20's sides.

C-Whiz
04-01-14, 12:37 PM
I'm not convinced that the current system is broken and needs to change...in addition to that perhaps our expectations of the 20's competition is a little unrealistic...they are still so young and learning the game! Sometimes the best games are actually the junior games!
I wonder whether we would be having this discussion if we had a very successful junior program that led to very successful 20's sides.I agree with all of this.

Personally, I would like to have a 20's game followed by reserve grade followed by first grade. That's a great day at the footy. But only worth sitting through if it's quality football. The bottom line is I think we would all prefer quality over quantity.

But I don't think the Titans are going to be trying to change the structure of the NRL to get us fans a better game day experience. I'll take my chances of getting a tasty hotdog, chips and drink prior to heading into the stadium before I start worrying/wondering when/if they will be bringing back reserve grade. ;)

As DIEHARD said, banner competitions and rewarding Titans fans who make an effort with costume/apparel with ground appearances and/or competitions would be a good way to engage fans.

Random prize draws would be a good way to engage the general crowd.

Music grabs is a tried and tested way to create atmosphere.

What is something new that hasn't been done? You know that blow-up blimp thing they fly around the stadium? What about having blimp wars, between 2 opposing fans? First to knock the other one down wins! Yeah!! :thumbsup:

hammer
05-01-14, 09:35 AM
http://s27.postimg.org/c0i6lsprn/photo.png (http://postimage.org/)
screenshot windows (http://postimage.org/app.php)

The Sharks have provided this service for their fans.

C-Whiz
05-01-14, 11:13 AM
The Sharks have provided this service for their fans.
Meh. More useless crap on your mobile IMO.

What about having something like fantasy league for home games?

Fans can download an app that lets you pick a set number of players for the game (from both teams, say 6 players for example), and they update it on the big screen after scoring plays to show the top 10 leaderboard, or something like that. Maybe combine it with first tryscorer, biggest point scorer etc.

Winner gets a free something or other.... must be present to collect prize.

C-Whiz
05-01-14, 11:19 AM
OK, we've talked about kiss cam, dance cam, and a comp for banners and costume/fan apparel.

What about "dedicated fan-cam"???

So, basically, the cameras scan the crowd for a dedicated TITAN fan who is seen cheering wildly, dressed appropriately, waving a crazy banner/flag, and things like that. They play a special song/music grab over the PA to announce "dedicated fan-cam" is about to come on, and then replay the fan they captured doing any/all of the above at any given time.

This encourages active participation and rewards those who get involved.

DIEHARD
05-01-14, 11:46 AM
OK, we've talked about kiss cam, dance cam, and a comp for banners and costume/fan apparel.

So, basically, the cameras scan the crowd for a dedicated TITAN fan who is seen cheering wildly, dressed appropriately, waving a crazy banner/flag, and things like that. They play a special song/music grab over the PA to announce "dedicated fan-cam" is about to come on, and then replay the fan they captured doing any/all of the above at any given time.

A brilliant idea. Give them a Titans supporter pack and free 2015 membership or something. That is how to create a passionate culture.

The dedicated fan cam and banner comps should be bread and butter staples of match day. Even interview them on match day, they can talk about their inspiration and how they made their flag or banner which also educates the rest of us.

Also with the music, I think thats great and we have talked about it before. I remember we talked about having the flash gordon "FLASH! MASTER OF THE UNIVERSE!" song played when Kevin scored. Anything is better than some tacky pop song that dates terribly. Bailey's could be Bulls On Parade by Rage Against the Machine. Bird's would obviously be Bird Is The Word. We wont get matches for all players but soon players would be synonymous with their songs.

DIEHARD
05-01-14, 11:50 AM
You could imagine alot less people would be asking others "Who scored?" when we have songs like this in place.

Not just great for us at the stadium but for those at home and the pub. Making it look fun and maybe more will want to be involved. And we could win those back that no longer regularly attend when they see that things have evolved.

hammer
05-01-14, 12:24 PM

Nice idea C-Whiz...but if past experience is any indication they will restrict that to the same areas each home games and then we will have the same people getting their few minutes of fame (several times a season that is).

DIEHARD
05-01-14, 12:55 PM
Nice idea C-Whiz...but if past experience is any indication they will restrict that to the same areas each home games and then we will have the same people getting their few minutes of fame (several times a season that is).

Which is poison for developing the culture we want.

C-Whiz
05-01-14, 04:58 PM
Also with the music, I think thats great and we have talked about it before. I remember we talked about having the flash gordon "FLASH! MASTER OF THE UNIVERSE!" song played when Kevin scored. Anything is better than some tacky pop song that dates terribly. Bailey's could be Bulls On Parade by Rage Against the Machine. Bird's would obviously be Bird Is The Word. We wont get matches for all players but soon players would be synonymous with their songs.
I really like this idea, and had never considered each player having their own sound byte. Great way for fans to know who scored. :thumbsup:

Who remembers that terrible elevator dance Nathan Freind used to perform on the big screen? What if each player recorded a little dance/signature move to go with the music grab? That would be a bit of fun, and fans may start to copy it when they score.

C-Whiz
05-01-14, 05:06 PM

Which is poison for developing the culture we want.
Yeah, but we need to give it a chance to evolve and move on. If others want to be noticed, then it's up to them to be noticed. But I do know what you are saying.

I remember DIEHARD walking the perimeter of the field with flags and banners to try and involve the stadium and unite them. That's the sort of dedication that cameras should be picking up on.

Also, has anyone ever noticed that other grounds get a lot of TV attention for their supporters and groups, yet Titans don't seem to get as much TV exposure as supporters. Maybe that's up to us fans to turn that around, and the club needs to give us more impetus to try and be noticed.

mdrew
05-01-14, 06:23 PM
I would like to see the Titans put on the MM and CC games prior to the NYC. Give each of the boys two free tickets for family, even if a few stay around it is more people at the ground, thus better return on investment for sponsors, food and drink etc. These games are a very high standard for their age and would help sell the Titans to juniors.

Coaster
05-01-14, 07:05 PM
Game day public thrashings

This would be a great idea, would help heal the wrongs that has been done to the Gold Coast junior players, companies, trades people, supporters, and everyone else and would also be great for a certain CEO to be in the limelight again.

C-Whiz
05-01-14, 07:38 PM
Game day public thrashings

This would be a great idea, would help heal the wrongs that has been done to the Gold Coast junior players, companies, trades people, supporters, and everyone else and would also be great for a certain CEO to be in the limelight again.
I can only imagine the sort of turnout this would receive, especially if the punters through the turnstiles had a lucky-gate prize of getting to weild the whip. ;)

Coaster
05-01-14, 07:44 PM
I can only imagine the sort of turnout this would receive, especially if the punters through the turnstiles had a lucky-gate prize of getting to weild the whip. ;)

Wow
Sold out sign would need to be used.

Titanic
05-01-14, 08:13 PM
http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4960954717505527&pid=15.1

Great thought Coaster ... why not a set of stocks near the entrance with a supply of last game's left-overs to throw ... could also attract sponsorship from a green grocer.

Noddy1979
07-01-14, 07:46 AM
I have an idea people go to the football funny enough to watch as much football for there money. Speaking for myself I don't care if people have a race in orb balls at half time or do not go to listen to annoying dJs. It should with out fail be the same thing.
1. Seagulls or Burleigh should play there qrl game prior to kick off.
2.The 20's before that
3.And when ever possible a school boys game could be played first.

kioli
07-01-14, 09:18 AM
I have an idea people go to the football funny enough to watch as much football for there money. Speaking for myself I don't care if people have a race in orb balls at half time or do not go to listen to annoying dJs. It should with out fail be the same thing.
1. Seagulls or Burleigh should play there qrl game prior to kick off.
2.The 20's before that
3.And when ever possible a school boys game could be played first.

Yeah I have to agree. In saying that, I don't have kids so I don't know how much these kind of things help parents keep their kids settled during the half-time break.

C-Whiz
07-01-14, 09:40 AM
I have an idea people go to the football funny enough to watch as much football for there money.
I actually think that there aren't many who go to watch the early games, possibly because we were getting so badly beaten last year. The crowd reflects this prior to main game. It would definitely change if we were competitive. I do agree there are footy fans who enjoy watching footy of any standard, but there are a lot more who would want to watch more football if it was of a higher standard eg close games/Titans teams winning.

From my perspective, I have a family of 4, which is me, my Mrs, and 2 kids. Sometimes I have to sell it hard to get the Mrs to go at any time and the kids aren't that keen to watch teams of people they don't know/care about (eg 20's) who get beaten most of the time. So, to try and convince them to sit through 3 hours of football where the first 80 minutes is a team of youngsters getting beaten by 40 points is just asking too much, and I am pretty happy if I get all 4 of us to make it in time to get a beer, say hi to a few old faces and be seated before kick off.

My kids are always pretty keen to go to the footy if they have FMX and bouncing castles out the front before hand. These are the sort of initiatives the Titans management have to try and carry though the whole game day experience to get the casual observer to stump up hard earned to get them through the gates, knowing they are getting entertainment even if their team is being beaten. Basically, not every "Titan fan" is a footy fan.

So, lots of families/peeps are looking for a day out being entertained in other ways besides just footy. Maybe one of the best examples is the way horse racing goes about promoting itself as a "day at the races". Most people have little interest in the actual horse racing, but enjoy the fashion show, the drinking, the festivities, perving on well dressed guys/girls or laughing at those who have had too much to drink in the hot sun, etc.

We have been to many GCTC events where they know how to entertain the kids with bouncing castles, entertainment around the field (jugglers, singers on stage, clowns etc) while I slip on a few bets and keep an eye on the fillies around the track. ;):thumbsup:
And if we use Black Caviar as an example of a team that is kicking a bit of Donkey-ar$e, then as he compiled the wins, the fan base grew, and even kids and some other-halfs started knowing about him and wanting to put a bet on him/cheer for him, or actually wanting to watch a race he was running in!

So, bottom line, start winning games and the fan base will grow, but in the meantime the Titans need to find other ways to entice the fans.

Titanic
07-01-14, 11:13 AM
Fair assessment Whiz ... when I was playing grade I used to hate sitting in the sheds wondering who they would bring up from the reserves to play firsts but my mates all loved that and came early to watch every game and so did their families but times have changed with the advent of interchange the dynamics of the relationship between the lower grades and the NRL teams has changed too. Can you image, some of you blokes, that we used to play without interchange so you just went for 80 even if you were busted and often because you got paid for the percentage of a game you were on the field :)

I am all for outside entertainment such as kids things but I find it hard to accept that there aren't enough actual hard core football fans to make budget. Sure, peripheral family supporters and vaguely interested others will help the count but I think the club chases away the hard core and that's where they should be aiming at, at least as equally as marketing to other sectors.

Totally agree that winning at least reasonably helps a lot and tragics like most of us here would turn up even if we were really bad ... oh yeah, I forgot we are and we have been ... but where are the missing 4-5,000? I'll tell you where: they have been slowly eroded by the amount to issues they have been served-up by continued poor management of the team first and the club second ... they just ran out of patience.

We have to ask ourselves what's to like about the club? The club management? No, the majority owner is perceived, rightly or wrongly, as some sort of shonky. The team management? No, the coach, rightly or wrongly, is seen as some dictatorial throw back from the past. The team itself? No, while having some iconic players they are viewed as an old boys club that can't win consistently enough to gain traction with the supporters.

This is the Annersley challenge.

Smakked
07-01-14, 01:15 PM
ALl this talk about Game day innovations, what about game day game plan for players and the team not the same boring 5 hitups and a kick ?

Geeman
07-01-14, 05:23 PM
Not bagging anyones ideas or anything, they are all valid but they might be restricted to how many games they could play in 1 day before the pitch gets torn up - not sure, just saying...

C-Whiz
10-01-14, 10:59 PM
Not bagging anyones ideas or anything, they are all valid but they might be restricted to how many games they could play in 1 day before the pitch gets torn up - not sure, just saying...Good point.

OK, all I was saying in my wordy post above is that if I was to come and watch 3 games of footy, it would be me on my Pat Malone.

If the kids are interested, which usually brings the Mrs too, then they get 4 clicks on the turnstiles.

They want numbers through the gates. Footy fans will always come to the footy. Target the kids and families will come too.