PDA

View Full Version : Idris backs 'golden try' experiment

TITAN PETE
09-12-13, 04:35 PM
By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent
NRL.com
4:20pm Mon 09th December, 2013

He is targeting the Dick Smith NRL Auckland Nines as the venue for his return to top-flight rugby league and Gold Coast Titans star Jamal Idris has already given his seal of approval to one of the rule innovations that will be trialled.

Having started the season in the type of form that earned him NSW and Kangaroos jerseys in 2010-11, Idris suffered a broken leg and dislocated ankle against the Knights in Round 16 of the 2013 season but made his long-awaited return to full training with the Titans last week.

The Nines will be held in Auckland from February 15-16 and Idris is not only excited at the prospect of getting out and playing again but seeing how the experimental 'golden try' rule operates under match conditions.

If a match is tied after the completion of the two nine-minute halves, five minutes of extra time will be played in the qualifying rounds and unlimited extra time in the finals and the winner determined by a 'golden try' rather than a 'golden point' field goal shootout.

It's a move that has the full support of Idris.

"I reckon it's a great concept because personally, from my point of view, I don't like seeing a game finished just by someone's boot," Idris said. "I want to see players string together a play and I think fans want to see that as well. I want to see them string together a play to beat the opposite team.

"It just hurts because it goes into that extra time and you know just one dropped ball and the opposition's in your half and to lose to just a simple kick... it's heartbreaking."

Idris admits that his only experience with a modified version of the game to date is "backyard touch against my brother. That was one-on-one and I'd still chuck a dummy," and is excited about seeing some of the NRL's brightest talents on display, even if he is still deciding whether the speed of the game will suit a man of his stature.

"It's got unlimited interchange so it should be fun," the 23-year-old said. "It's going to be a fast-paced game and you've got players out there, the little nippy ones... I can't wait to see [Roosters winger Roger] Tuivasa-Sheck play, he's going to be outstanding.

"I don't know if it will suit me but we'll see. It should be fun. It will get us ready for the season with 18-minute games, so it's not too long."

C-Whiz
09-12-13, 06:43 PM
I've always been a fan of the golden try concept, but there are some drawbacks.

Firstly, what about a penalty goal? Could you give away 3 penalties to an opposing team and still win if you score a try first?

I'd just scrap the golden "field goal" and start with that. But i do like the idea of a try determining the winner. Anything but a field goal-a-thon.

Titanic
10-12-13, 12:19 AM
Just scrap kicks all together.

C-Whiz
10-12-13, 07:49 AM
Just scrap kicks all together.Yeah, i get that, but then what stops every team from committing penalties every time the other team might look like scoring? If the game is in the balance and they are on your line, lay all over the ball carrier, hands in the ruck/strip, whatever needs to be done to prevent a try, if a penalty goal has no effect on the outcome.

Just putting it out there.

Titanic
10-12-13, 02:47 PM
Yeah, i get that, but then what stops every team from committing penalties every time the other team might look like scoring? If the game is in the balance and they are on your line, lay all over the ball carrier, hands in the ruck/strip, whatever needs to be done to prevent a try, if a penalty goal has no effect on the outcome.

Just putting it out there.
Understand ... so you send a player off for any professional foul and award a differential penalty.

C-Whiz
10-12-13, 03:48 PM
Understand ... so you send a player off for any professional foul and award a differential penalty.
Sounds like a plan.