PDA

View Full Version : Gold Coast hooker Matt Srama adds drama to Cameron Smith contract saga

Toads
05-12-13, 10:15 PM
Gold Coast hooker Matt Srama adds drama to Cameron Smith contract saga

Chris Garry The Courier-Mail December 06, 2013 12:00AM

ANOTHER Queensland-based NRL talent is on the verge of asking his club for a release and the drama could end up solving Melbourne Storm's Cameron Smith dilemma.

Three NRL teams are already circling disgruntled Gold Coast Titans rake Matt Srama, who has been relegated down their pecking order despite playing through injury on a minimum-wage contract.

One of those clubs is understood to be the Storm, who will need a quality rake if Smith signs with the Brisbane Broncos for 2015 as widely expected.

Srama was recently told he won't be the Titans' starting hooker next season because of his form last year, even though that form was due to the busted shoulders the Titans asked him to persevere through.

Off-contract at the end of 2014, Srama is considering asking for an early release to prove his value now he is behind Beau Falloon and potentially even 21-year-old Sam Irwin.

The Canberra Raiders are favourites to snare him as Ricky Stuart believes he has State of Origin potential.

However, sources told The Courier-Mail the Storm have also shown interest and if Cameron Smith moves north to the Broncos they would be prepared to take him this season so he could learn from the Maroons star.

Srama is not in Smith's class but would leave the Storm with salary cap space to chase another star.

However, Storm football manager Frank Ponissi said his club had not discussed Srama and was adamant that despite rumours to the contrary Smith had not signed elsewhere.

"Don't get me wrong he is a talented player but his name has not come up here," he said.

"This is another case of someone throwing more drama in the Cameron Smith negotiations.

"Smith just got back and we will let him be with his family and not put pressure on him."

Srama played every game with pain-killing injections last season when several months off would have been far better for his long-term career.

The Titans have missed the finals three seasons in a row and could regret their dismissive attitude towards Srama who is viewed in league circles as one of the strongest players in the league pound for pound.

The Manly Sea Eagles have also contacted his management with their hooker Matt Ballin turning 30 in January.

"There's a few clubs interested but I won't say which ones," Srama's manager Paul Sutton said.

"A few clubs still have room for 2014 but we are looking more at 2015 right now.

"He's a quality player and clubs recognise that."

Srama was in the Titans' starting team for the majority of last season, before coach John Cartwright chose Falloon ahead of him for the last four rounds.

They only won one of those games.

Source: www.foxsports.com.au (http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/gold-coast-hooker-matt-srama-adds-drama-to-cameron-smith-contract-saga/story-fn2mcuj6-1226776481581)

Toads
05-12-13, 10:16 PM
It seems that Matty might not want to be "A Titan for Life" afterall.. :(

teke
06-12-13, 05:00 AM
Predictable move from Sramas manager

TITAN PETE
06-12-13, 08:39 AM
His manager is doing his job well, talk about leaving & get a pay rise , just like the coach did :rolleyes:

Or the club may just say Good Luck :wave:

Julius Sezer
06-12-13, 09:04 AM
wouldn't want srama to leave. Love that little bugger

mdrew
06-12-13, 11:19 AM
We would be fools to let him go, oh wait that means he probably will

kioli
06-12-13, 11:32 AM
Hope he stays

TITAN FAN
06-12-13, 01:14 PM
Falloon was reported to have undergone a toe reconstruction season end which indicates like Srama was playing injured

Goes to show how tough they both are

Titan Dad
06-12-13, 01:46 PM
There is no way SRAMA is behind MESKELL. If he is, then whom has he pissed off? Maybe CARTY will go with a 3 hooker rotation for season 2014. He has done sillier things previously.
Well MATTY when you are on the out at the Titans, you are as good as gone.
i wish you all the luck in the future and have no doubt that should you leave then you will make the team pay for their error when you come up against them in the future. What we should do now is tak his money and give it to JAMES. In fact why not take BULLS, MATTY,and RANKINS money as well as all the others and pay JAMES. He can do no wrong. What a crock of SH+T.
We have got to get away from favourites and ex-mates sons if we really want to give the premiership a shake in the next 10 yrs.

karnage
06-12-13, 01:48 PM
This is what happens at poorly coached football clubs. The fact is, we support a very poorly coached football club. No clubs can afford to lose players like Srama, but a club that hasn't played finals in three years ESPECIALLY can't afford to lose young promising playmakers.

DavidBouveng
06-12-13, 03:41 PM
There is no way SRAMA is behind MESKELL. If he is, then whom has he pissed off? Maybe CARTY will go with a 3 hooker rotation for season 2014. He has done sillier things previously.
i wish you all the luck in the future and have no doubt that should you leave then you will make the team pay for their error when you come up against them in the future. What we should do now is tak his money and give it to JAMES. In fact why not take BULLS, MATTY,and RANKINS money as well as all the others and pay JAMES. He can do no wrong. What a crock of SH+T.
We have got to get away from favourites and ex-mates sons if we really want to give the premiership a shake in the next 10 yrs.

James was dropped during the year and only came back into the team through good performance. He efforts in front row, early on and late in The season were stronger than baileys, Douglas,Myles, and most other forwards besides bird and falloon.

Don't let your PAGE RAGE cloud your judgement.

Ideally we would keep both, but if falloon is our number one hooker and srama doesn't want to be part of a rotation... Then we can't help it. It happens often in the hooking role. People believe they can be a starter elsewhere, good luck to them. You can't afford to pay two hookers big money And still have good balanced team. The top teams don't really use the rotation much except the roosters a bit with Mortimer.

Toads
06-12-13, 03:46 PM
Fair point DB. I was leaning towards Titan Dad's opinion originally. But your overall perspective does seem to be closer to the mark.

TITAN FAN
06-12-13, 04:33 PM
I tend to agree

If any team is going to play one hooker they pick them on ability and form, with two outstanding hookers it is always going to be competitive

Unfortunately for Matty Falloons performance during the year gifted him the starting spot and good on Falloon , credit where it is due

Srama and Falloon rotation proved to be very effective both getting 40 min game time and the opportunity for both to showcase their skills

K2G
06-12-13, 05:46 PM
Says a lot about about our retention of local talent if we loose Srama. People seem to have short memories, he was an awesome 80 min hooker for us in 2012. Hopefully he puts the injuries behind him and demands a new beefed up titans contract with some massive form.

TITAN PETE
06-12-13, 07:08 PM
Matts manager says the story is BS

justin19
07-12-13, 02:57 AM
110% he is going nowhere

C-Whiz
07-12-13, 08:36 AM
I don't know anything about which way this will go, and hopefully we keep Srama and Falloon, but honestly, I think we will be making the right choice regardless of which hooker we keep, and we will be making a poor choice regardless of which hooker we release.

But realistically, no team can afford to pay 2 top tier hookers and only be playing one. If we keep them both on fair contracts, then good on us, but at some point the Titans will have to make that decision, and like i said, whatever the decision in the end, we will keep a very good hooker and lose a very good hooker.

Toads
07-12-13, 09:40 AM
The thing is, it appears we need at least two Hookers due to injuries. If I recall correctly*, weren't Srama and Falloon both out due to injury at one point which in turn seen Irwin have a crack at it?

* = Hard to keep keep up with Cartwright selection/rotation at times, especially when he plays people out of their usual position/s.

titanfan1980
07-12-13, 11:19 PM

Yeah that's it Titan Dad, blame Ryan James. I mean the kid got picked by the Australian selectors to join the Roos train on squad, he's a massive chance to make NSW next year, he finished the year in such good form that I can guarantee you other clubs are doing their best to poach him. Look I've been a long time reader of this forum since 2006 but I only post occasionally, I've bit my tounge for so long watching you get angry at the world cause carty can't coach and didn't give luke page a run.. And I agree I don't rate carty as a coach.. But come on, Craig Bellamy and Wayne Bennett together couldn't turn Luke Page into a footballer.. He's not fast enough, has no skills, he's only trait is that he is literally a battering ram that doesn't break the line. He ain't got it.. Simple us that.. O and I was talking to Matty srama the other day, he ain't going nowhere!

Hail Sezer
08-12-13, 12:39 AM
Boooooom **** just got real

C-Whiz
08-12-13, 11:06 AM
Look I've been a long time reader of this forum since 2006 but I only post occasionally, I've bit my tounge for so longYeah, I think you should post more often. :thumbsup::D

titanfan1980
08-12-13, 11:18 AM
Yeah, I think you should post more often. :thumbsup::D

I will c-whiz, this forum is the place to talk to to titans fans who want the best for the team, lol not those ones on Facebook who are " True titans fans and will support the team even if they lose every week! "

Julius Sezer
08-12-13, 09:14 PM
inb4 we sign Cameron Smith

DavidBouveng
08-12-13, 09:16 PM

Yeah that's it Titan Dad, blame Ryan James. I mean the kid got picked by the Australian selectors to join the Roos train on squad, he's a massive chance to make NSW next year, he finished the year in such good form that I can guarantee you other clubs are doing their best to poach him. Look I've been a long time reader of this forum since 2006 but I only post occasionally, I've bit my tounge for so long watching you get angry at the world cause carty can't coach and didn't give luke page a run.. And I agree I don't rate carty as a coach.. But come on, Craig Bellamy and Wayne Bennett together couldn't turn Luke Page into a footballer.. He's not fast enough, has no skills, he's only trait is that he is literally a battering ram that doesn't break the line. He ain't got it.. Simple us that.. O and I was talking to Matty srama the other day, he ain't going nowhere!

Not sure if your James's old man...or Meskill's haha.

Fair reply, it would be tough to be a young players dad who isn't quite going to get there, but the bitterness towards an outstanding young talent who very likely is going to reach the heights seems silly.

Titanic
08-12-13, 09:47 PM
Little doubt that Cartwright is hardly an NRL-standard coach and certainly the club's selection/promotion policy is one of the worst I've ever witnessed plus I have never seen Page play but to blame another player is a bit over the top.

Bayside Titan
08-12-13, 10:24 PM
Dreaming mate. Now way Smith would come to us.

TITAN FAN
09-12-13, 08:43 AM
Why would we bother with Smith

I hope we are not turning into a retirement village

Srama and Falloon cut it for me, they are two gun hookers who have proved they can do the job and they will only get better

gcboyz
09-12-13, 11:00 AM
I do not believe that Smith is going anywhere. Our job is to make sure that whoever gets him pays way too much.
Packer might come cheap now, at least save us a fortune on fertiliser.

teke
09-12-13, 04:03 PM
Why would we bother with Smith

I hope we are not turning into a retirement village

Srama and Falloon cut it for me, they are two gun hookers who have proved they can do the job and they will only get betterwhy would we bother going after a future immortal?

Our 2 hookers won't ever reach the form Smith will show in the next 3 yrs

Mexican titan
09-12-13, 08:52 PM
why would we bother going after a future immortal?

Our 2 hookers won't ever reach the form Smith will show in the next 3 yrs

This.

Quite a few on here write about our gun hookers and our gun halves. Not so many write as highly of our gun fullback. If we don't get well inside the 8 this year the gun should be firmly aimed at our 1,6,7, and 9.

Titanic
09-12-13, 11:45 PM
MT you are a bad man :) but I do agree, we don't have guns at 1, 6, 7 or 9 … we do have good potential in 6, 7 and 9 and a donkey at 1 though.

C-Whiz
10-12-13, 07:57 AM
why would we bother going after a future immortal?

Our 2 hookers won't ever reach the form Smith will show in the next 3 yrsI pretty much take most of what you write as gospel, but buying a future immortal who did all his best work for other clubs doesn't give us any kudos.

And I don't think hooker is our weakest position. I'm happy to stick with what we've got and develop them.

Yep, development is the problem here, not talent.

Boonarga
14-12-13, 08:45 PM
Srama should be the hooker, for 80 minutes. Sick to death of hooker rotation. Falloon is good. Good enough to play second row.

justin19
15-12-13, 12:25 AM
Srama should be the hooker, for 80 minutes. Sick to death of hooker rotation. Falloon is good. Good enough to play second row.

If Alby does get banned by ASADA (which I don't think he will) Shama will play Halfback which is his preferred position and Falloon will play Hooker. IMO Falloon is way better then Shama at Hooker

K2G
15-12-13, 12:55 AM
If Alby does get banned by ASADA (which I don't think he will) Shama will play Halfback which is his preferred position and Falloon will play Hooker. IMO Falloon is way better then Shama at Hooker

:doh:

There's noway Shwama will play there ahead of Beau Henry should they both be fit. Id love to see him develop a kicking game this season though, and hopefully the shoulder opp will improve his service out of dummy half this season.

That said, Falloon way better than Sharma at hooker? Really? Man, people have such short memories. Srahma's 2012 season > Falloon's 2013 season.

Titanic
15-12-13, 02:47 AM
I sort of agree K2G, I have a bit of a soft spot for Henry (Beau) and think he has more to offer than we've seen.

justin19
15-12-13, 03:53 AM
:doh:

There's noway Shwama will play there ahead of Beau Henry should they both be fit. Id love to see him develop a kicking game this season though, and hopefully the shoulder opp will improve his service out of dummy half this season.

That said, Falloon way better than Sharma at hooker? Really? Man, people have such short memories. Srahma's 2012 season > Falloon's 2013 season.

Sharma was good in 2012 but looked better then he really was because the the rest of the team was **** except for Sezer and Myles the rest were ****. just being honest.

Hail Sezer
15-12-13, 09:16 AM
I sort of agree K2G, I have a bit of a soft spot for Henry (Beau) and think he has more to offer than we've seen.

Me too. He didnt get NYC player of the year for nothing.

DavidBouveng
15-12-13, 09:21 PM
im looking forward to see this shwarmer player im hearing so much about.

Alby and Sezer have the potential to be a great halves pairing. falloon is very good, and Shwarhma could develop well too. With good coaching, i would be happy with these 3-4 players for the next bunch of years.

Fullback not so much, we either need to be so good that we can carry him like the cricket team does with Watson, or find an alternative.

Beau is an able replacement also. fantastic kicking game, good skils, and big fella too. i thought attitude was his issue going back? no idea how he is these days.

TITAN FAN
17-12-13, 01:10 PM

If I remember correctly Falloon was injected in the rotation as not too much was happening from dummy half in attack, Srama is only a small frame player you cant defend and attack for 80 at that weight something has to give

I didn't mind the hooker rotation as when Falloon came into the team playing 40 he added plenty of spark and direction

In saying that most on this site prefer only one hooker IMO Falloon was playing the better out of the two all over the park and came 4th I believe in
the club awards having played 17 games that speaks for itself

Still wont mind a rotation in 2014 as I rate the pair of them