PDA

View Full Version : Titans: Charity Shield of our own?

DeeGan
20-02-06, 11:05 AM
Titans: Charity Shield of our own?

I love the annual Charity Shield pitting St George-Illawarra vs South Sydney and I could not help but think "why can we not do this from 2007 featuring Gold Coast and Brisbane?"

Why Brisbane? Simple, the rivalry will be there and I like North QLD :laugh:

In all seriousness, Brisbane are seen as our number one rival in my mind and I would love to build on a tradition from the get go and raise money at the same time. I am sure Carty would appreciate this quality of trial 3 weeks out from the NRL season, especially in 2007.

Thoughts?

Titanium_BD1103
20-02-06, 11:11 AM
I reckon this is a good idea.. and you can create a good rivalry at the same time.. and get the community involved.. :)

I reckon you could have it late February every year and Fox could broadcast it so all of us could see it too.. I love the idea.. :D :D

Dakink
20-02-06, 12:33 PM
Fantastic - our own version of the Charity Shield. Would the Broncos go for it?

Would the Titans go for it?

DeeGan
20-02-06, 12:40 PM
Fantastic - our own version of the Charity Shield. Would the Broncos go for it?

Would the Titans go for it?

I have made sure the guys know about the idea ;)

Other than that, play it by ear :D

I can't see why either team would not be up for it to be honest.

Steve Dangerous
20-02-06, 01:13 PM
Brisbane Vs Gold Coast games are certain to be epic.

Dakink
20-02-06, 01:44 PM
This would be a cracking way to start the season - it could be taken to the bush or played alternatively at Lang Park of Titans Park (for use of a better name).. All proceeds to Charity.. Sounds awesome. Would a good way to begin to build tradition.

Go_The_Doggies
20-02-06, 01:46 PM
Hmm i dunno if i like the idea, as it would kinda take the spark out of the one and only charity shield there is now...meh i dunno

..::Coops::..
20-02-06, 01:50 PM
Hmm i dunno if i like the idea, as it would kinda take the spark out of the one and only charity shield there is now...meh i dunno

that's kinda what i think too

Steve Dangerous
20-02-06, 02:14 PM
do you think it could be a bit much playing the broncos three times a season?

Slaytera
20-02-06, 03:46 PM
I think it's a great idea. Imagine the crowd in the pre season

lonegull
20-02-06, 03:50 PM
really great idea maybe it could be called the wally lewis cup??? :whatd:

Dakink
20-02-06, 05:27 PM
that's kinda what i think too

It wouldnt have to be called the charity Shield - it could be the Wally Lewis cup or something - its the princible of donating profits to help charity and also developing a rivalry (which admitadely probably already exists) with Brisbane, but also starting a preseason tradition, ehich could lead to the development of other traditions for a club that will be brand new.

I think GC v Brisbane 3 times a year (and that isnt garaunteed) would be 3 blockbusters.

1 - Preseason everyone is keen - in the bush.
2 - Lang Park (I refuse to call it that other name) Brisbane home game
3 - GC Stadium (whatever it is called) Our home game.

That would be 2 packed houses and one massive crwod for a preseason.

Coaster
20-02-06, 08:52 PM
I think its a great idea.

Lets face it. i would rather watch Manly vs Canberra, then the first game of the year to be Stg vs Bunnies :roll:

If Stg vs Bunnies was played during a round, it would be the 1 game i wouldnt care if i missed.

DIEHARD
21-02-06, 03:53 AM
I think it is a great idea and would draw huge crowds and provide a lot of money to charity.

Eel 33
21-02-06, 10:17 AM
It will be a massive hit. Look at the games played before the Super Crap War, if i remember correctly, wasn't a ground record set at ANZ Stadium for a Brisbane V GC game(s)?

Queenslander
21-02-06, 01:58 PM
If the broncos and the gold coast were to play a "charity shield" game in the pre-season then there should only be one NRL game between each team. If both teams played each other 3 times every year then I believe crowds wouldnt flock to the game, especially if its the same results every game...e.g. Broncos win ;)

Better than having one or two pre-season games why dont they make the first round of the NRL a charity round, with most of the ticket takings going to charity :thumbsup:

Eel 33
21-02-06, 02:10 PM
Better than having one or two pre-season games why dont they make the first round of the NRL a charity round, with most of the ticket takings going to charity :thumbsup:

The NRL won't let that happen, they'd lose too much money. Half way thru the season or either side of the rep season would be a good place for it.

Tap Twist Snap
21-02-06, 02:34 PM
I hope the Titans play the Broncos round 1 2007 would be a packed stadium at suncorp, if that is the case then it would be best not to play them as it would take away from the potential blockbuster.

DIEHARD
21-02-06, 02:40 PM
Nah Titans shouldn't play Broncos straight away or early.

And if we have a charity shield, I suggest that we skip the first year.

Super Cronk
21-02-06, 02:48 PM
I think a chairty shield up north would be a good idea sometime down the track. Would be a good rivalry and all of QLD would get out to see the game.

Dakink
21-02-06, 03:15 PM
I still think a game in Feb each year would create something special between the two clubs. We are going to have a great rivalry anyway, but this will just add to it. 3 times a year is not to many to play, especially when you consider the 2 games are at the relative home grounds and the 3rd could be played any where in country QLD. Put it on the Sunshine Coast or somewhere that doesnt get many quality games.

DIEHARD
21-02-06, 03:31 PM
Put it on at Lang Park. Maximise $$$ for charity.

Queenslander
21-02-06, 04:35 PM
Put it on at Lang Park. Maximise $$$ for charity.

Exactly, if it was truely for charity then we need to have as many people at the game as possible....I wish they would have F.O.G.S. games at Lang Park, it would be a huge crowd :thumbsup:

Dragons
21-02-06, 05:32 PM
The Charity Shield is between Dragons and Bunnies leave it that way. You could call it the City versus the Coast Cup. All fund go to charity .

Sharks
02-03-06, 06:00 PM
I reckon this is a good idea,and we can call it the M1 shield! :dizzy:

dragonscometitansgal
02-03-06, 06:29 PM
Sounds like a fantastic idea.