PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Titans line up prediction

Brock O'Brien
07-09-13, 08:38 PM
How do you think the Titans top 17 should be next year? I personally think David Mead should take Zillman's spot as fullback.

Smakked
07-09-13, 08:43 PM
Doesnt matter , Coach wont look different so i dont expect anything else different

amaline
07-09-13, 08:45 PM
1. Mead
2. Gordon
3. Blair
4. Idris
5. Don
6. Sezer
7. Kelly
8. James
9. Falloon
10. Douglas
11. Taylor
12. Myles
13. Bird

14. Harrison
15. Srama
16. Ridge
17. Bailey
18. Taka
19. Ioane

Coach...........................

Boofhead
07-09-13, 08:53 PM
1. Mead
2. Gordon
3. Takairangi
4. Idris
5. Zillman
6. Sezer
7. Kelly
8. James
9. Srama
10. Myles
11. Bird
12. Taylor
13. Harrison

14. Bailey
15. Douglas
16. Ridge
17. Falloon

18. Minichiello
19. Blair
20. White

Will make the top 4 next year... With a new coach.

Brock O'Brien
07-09-13, 08:56 PM
Will make the top 4 next year... With a new coach.

I agree, we have the team and the ability to be up there with the best, but the coaching needs to improve for us to be a real force.

DavidBouveng
07-09-13, 09:00 PM
1. Mead
2. Gordon
3. Takaraingi
4. Idris
5. Zillman
6. Sezer
7. Kelly
8. Douglas
9. Falloon
10. James
11. Bird
12. Taylor
13. Myles

14. Srama
15. Ridge
16. White
17. Bailey

I named mead. But I expect him to play wing and zillman at FB.

Brock O'Brien
07-09-13, 09:08 PM
1. Mead
2. Gordon
3. Takaraingi
4. Idris
5. Zillman
6. Sezer
7. Kelly
8. Douglas
9. Falloon
10. James
11. Bird
12. Taylor
13. Myles

14. Srama
15. Ridge
16. White
17. Bailey

I named mead. But I expect him to play wing and zillman at FB.

I don't think anyone disagrees with Mead being fullback next year, it's just up to Cartwright who will of course pick Zillman as FB again. How come Harrison isn't in your side?

amaline
07-09-13, 09:12 PM
I don't think anyone disagrees with Mead being fullback next year, it's just up to Cartwright who will of course pick Zillman as FB again. How come Harrison isn't in your side?

I put Harrison in my side, more out of habit than form. I think there have been others players who offer more.

Boofhead
07-09-13, 09:16 PM
Harrison needs to start - would not offer much from the bench.

DavidBouveng
07-09-13, 09:21 PM

I just don't see what he brings anymore besides a high tackle count.

And if he's not starting, not much point on the bench.

Great guy, been a great servant, but whenever we get near the line he just kills the ball. Which is even more annoying having seen his reasonably good ball skills when he was playing five eighth recently. He could be offering alot more I think.

And at the end of it all, someone had to miss out, and I prefer Myles Taylor bird starting, and on bench want size and impact.

I have no doubt he will be in the 13 though come round 1.

Titanic
07-09-13, 10:47 PM
Harrison would not my 17 either.

mup23
08-09-13, 04:22 AM
Doesnt matter , Coach wont look different so i dont expect anything else different

Between injuries and poor refereeing, Carty still has excuses for his continual failings. Even with them we should've made the top 4, but look for the annual off season articles saying how close we were

I'd be happy to see Zilly play for Tweed until he asks for a release, he has been given enough chances to prove himself as a first grader, I don't think he would even flourish under a top coach like the rest of our squad would.
As for Harro, I think next year will be one season too many. Same with Bailey. Ridge, Ioane, Douglas, James need to keep improving and stand up to take over those senior roles
Hopefully Mini and Michaels are only used in emergency situations, if not moved on

DavidBouveng
08-09-13, 06:39 AM
Right on mup. Agree with all of that I think.

Titanic
08-09-13, 11:50 AM
very well put ... the young guys are not that young any more while the old guys are now at veteran status.

teke
08-09-13, 03:28 PM
I just don't see what he brings anymore besides a high tackle count.

And if he's not starting, not much point on the bench.

Great guy, been a great servant, but whenever we get near the line he just kills the ball. Which is even more annoying having seen his reasonably good ball skills when he was playing five eighth recently. He could be offering alot more I think.

And at the end of it all, someone had to miss out, and I prefer Myles Taylor bird starting, and on bench want size and impact.

I have no doubt he will be in the 13 though come round 1.i agree, there are others who offer more now.

C-Whiz
08-09-13, 04:01 PM
Whether you prefer Falloon or Srama, do we still need the rotation?

teke
08-09-13, 05:27 PM
Whether you prefer Falloon or Srama, do we still need the rotation?never have needed it

Supergoose
08-09-13, 06:28 PM
1. Mead
2. Gordon
3. Zillman
4. Idris
5. Likiliki
6. Kelly
7. Sezer
8. Myles
9. Falloon
10. James
11. Taylor
12. Harrison
13. Bird

14. Douglas
15. Takairangi
16. Ridge
17. Srama/Blair

18. Bailey
19. Ioane
19. Minichiello

hatchy84
08-09-13, 06:52 PM
Mead
Gordon
Idris
Zillman
Likiliki
Kelly
Sezar
James
Falloon
Myles
Taylor
Taka
BIRD

Douglas
Ridge
Bailey
Srama

Harro
White
Mini

C-Whiz
08-09-13, 07:21 PM
never have needed itOK, I'll trust your knowledge on the subject, but I asked the question early in the season, and was told it was a fitness/maturity thing, about neither being 80 minute players.

Either way, I was very happy with what Srama was producing, and wanted him to play the 80min, but tbh, I'm leaning towards Falloon on the back of his grind over the last few weeks.

I was talking to Titan Pete about it, and he has a word for it (you'd have to ask him!) but I see so much of the gritty old school hooker with the smarts of the modern game player, that he just seems to be exactly what we need. I would still be happy with Srama, who has done so much when we really needed it, but why carry 2 hookers in the 17 if we can settle on one? And wouldn't it be better for the team to get used to a certain style of play from our #9?

teke
08-09-13, 08:01 PM
OK, I'll trust your knowledge on the subject, but I asked the question early in the season, and was told it was a fitness/maturity thing, about neither being 80 minute players.

Either way, I was very happy with what Srama was producing, and wanted him to play the 80min, but tbh, I'm leaning towards Falloon on the back of his grind over the last few weeks.

I was talking to Titan Pete about it, and he has a word for it (you'd have to ask him!) but I see so much of the gritty old school hooker with the smarts of the modern game player, that he just seems to be exactly what we need. I would still be happy with Srama, who has done so much when we really needed it, but why carry 2 hookers in the 17 if we can settle on one? And wouldn't it be better for the team to get used to a certain style of play from our #9?i don't really have any knowledge I just think it wasn't necessary. There were games throughout the yr where it came in handy but with a squad that is getting better i think it will be a waste to have a hooker on the bench taking up a spot

DavidBouveng
08-09-13, 08:58 PM
C whiz, I think falloon is a better option at the moment.

I Didnt mind the two hookers, as we have a fairly fit and mobile back row, but I think using size with James ,Douglas , DT, white etc seems to work better for us, so maybe one hooker and more big guys.

DavidBouveng
08-09-13, 08:59 PM
What does everyone think of the 3 centre rotation?

That's an innovation I can see McGuire and Bellamy copying...

Smakked
08-09-13, 09:24 PM
I think Falloon offered more this year seemed to play alot more aggressive, the whole 2 hooker things juts goes to show what type of coach we have.

Smakked
08-09-13, 09:28 PM
Mead
Gordon
Blair
Idris
Don
Sezer
Kelly
James
Falloon
Douglas
Taylor
Myles
Bird

Takarangi
Ridge
Bailey
Ioane
White
Zillman

Coach Henry/Taylor/Walters/Green ??? :P

MightyTitans
08-09-13, 11:04 PM
My 17

1. Mead
2. Gordon
3. M Blair (5/8 & Hooker Backup)
4. Idris
5. Zillman
6. Sezer
7. A Kelly
8. James
9. Falloon/Srama
10. Douglas
11. Bird
12. Taylor
13. Myles

14. Bailey
15. White
16. Minichello
17. Takarangi ( Second Row / Centre Backup) OR Harrison (Second Row / 5/8 & Hooker Backup)

Titanic
08-09-13, 11:08 PM
All the successful teams seem to be able to pull some punch off the bench ... the obvious one is Taylor but I think he should start, so who can provide that? Certainly not Srama who has been great but hasn't developed the way Falloon has, so my vote would be with Falloon as our 9.

(1) Then we have our props to cover 160 minutes so let's start with the options:

James offers punch (on his day) but how many minutes should we expect? 60 is my opinion.
Douglas was a 60 minute player until Cartwright got hold of him.
White is a 40 minute player used as 20.
Bailey is past it, imho, and can only be a 20.
Myles is either a 40 minute prop or 60 minute backrow.
Ioane is a 20 minute learner.

My vote is start with James/Douglas and rotate White/Bailey as required.

(2) Backrow. Bird is our 13 and demands 80 minutes, end of story unless busted so that leaves 180 backrow minutes to cover. Myles I've mentioned as a 60 but needs to produce the 2012 version not the 2013 or he goes to QCup. Taylor must start and we should get a mature 60 from him. So what can we get off the bench? Hitman Ridge for 30 and maybe a running Minichiello for 30. That leaves 60 minute tackling machine Harrison floating out of the picture and what to do with the ever-improving x-factor Takairangi?

My vote would be start with Taylor (left), Myles (right) and Bird (13) with Ridge on the bench with Takairangi pinch-hitting the backrow, hooker or anywhere else without having to shuffle the team

(3) Half's (because they are halfbacks not two halves as people like to call them)

Irrespective of their numbers Sezer calls it and Kelly supports it, therefore Sezer at 7 and Kelly at 6 ... c'mon shout me down.

(4) Right centre: Surely nobody will question Idris on the right. I prefer the defence of James, Myles, Idris, Kelly with Bird hanging around the zone. Taylor can get over there in attack whenever he pleases.

(5) Left centre: Our problem child position for so long will disappear with Blair (covered by) Taylor, Sezer (whose off-season will be a dark journey down the pathway to smashing blokes), Douglas and Bird. We bought him as a left centre and he should start at least until he is proven a turnstyle or somebody else moves him out.

(6) Wingmen: Gordon gets left and Don gets right ... both stay on their man and the rest of their defensive unit adjust to the attack. Zillman should not get anywhere near the 1 jersey ever again but is fast and evasive enough for the wing in a pinch.

(7) Fullback: Teke gets this because he has coveted it forever. If he is unavailable then Mead should take it. Zillman in the background somewhere.

(8) Others: sorry for Srama, Harrison, Ioane, Dowling, Rankin and Minichiello who could feature at any moment. Not sorry for Zillman, Michaels, Rankin or Atkins who with the others provide depth. Don't know about Likiliki and the other new faces.

So my team would be:

1. Mead
2. Gordon
3. Blair
4. Idris
5. Don
6. Kelly
7. Sezer
8. Douglas
9. Falloon
10. James
11. Taylor
12. Myles
13. Bird (c)

14. White
15. Bailey
16. Ridge
17. Takairangi

MightyTitans
08-09-13, 11:16 PM
Without injury the rotation should be

James(45) / Bailey(35)
Douglas(40) / White(40)
Taylor (50) / Mini (30)

Bird(65), Myles(65) / Taka (30)

Bird can move to lock when myles is off the field

DavidBouveng
08-09-13, 11:35 PM
All the successful teams seem to be able to pull some punch off the bench ... the obvious one is Taylor but I think he should start, so who can provide that? Certainly not Srama who has been great but hasn't developed the way Falloon has, so my vote would be with Falloon as our 9.

(1) Then we have our props to cover 160 minutes so let's start with the options:

James offers punch (on his day) but how many minutes should we expect? 60 is my opinion.
Douglas was a 60 minute player until Cartwright got hold of him.
White is a 40 minute player used as 20.
Bailey is past it, imho, and can only be a 20.
Myles is either a 40 minute prop or 60 minute backrow.
Ioane is a 20 minute learner.

My vote is start with James/Douglas and rotate White/Bailey as required.

(2) Backrow. Bird is our 13 and demands 80 minutes, end of story unless busted so that leaves 180 backrow minutes to cover. Myles I've mentioned as a 60 but needs to produce the 2012 version not the 2013 or he goes to QCup. Taylor must start and we should get a mature 60 from him. So what can we get off the bench? Hitman Ridge for 30 and maybe a running Minichiello for 30. That leaves 60 minute tackling machine Harrison floating out of the picture and what to do with the ever-improving x-factor Takairangi?

My vote would be start with Taylor (left), Myles (right) and Bird (13) with Ridge on the bench with Takairangi pinch-hitting the backrow, hooker or anywhere else without having to shuffle the team

(3) Half's (because they are halfbacks not two halves as people like to call them)

Irrespective of their numbers Sezer calls it and Kelly supports it, therefore Sezer at 7 and Kelly at 6 ... c'mon shout me down.

(4) Right centre: Surely nobody will question Idris on the right. I prefer the defence of James, Myles, Idris, Kelly with Bird hanging around the zone. Taylor can get over there in attack whenever he pleases.

(5) Left centre: Our problem child position for so long will disappear with Blair (covered by) Taylor, Sezer (whose off-season will be a dark journey down the pathway to smashing blokes), Douglas and Bird. We bought him as a left centre and he should start at least until he is proven a turnstyle or somebody else moves him out.

(6) Wingmen: Gordon gets left and Don gets right ... both stay on their man and the rest of their defensive unit adjust to the attack. Zillman should not get anywhere near the 1 jersey ever again but is fast and evasive enough for the wing in a pinch.

(7) Fullback: Teke gets this because he has coveted it forever. If he is unavailable then Mead should take it. Zillman in the background somewhere.

(8) Others: sorry for Srama, Harrison, Ioane, Dowling, Rankin and Minichiello who could feature at any moment. Not sorry for Zillman, Michaels, Rankin or Atkins who with the others provide depth. Don't know about Likiliki and the other new faces.

So my team would be:

1. Mead
2. Gordon
3. Blair
4. Idris
5. Don
6. Kelly
7. Sezer
8. Douglas
9. Falloon
10. James
11. Taylor
12. Myles
13. Bird (c)

14. White
15. Bailey
16. Ridge
17. Takairangi

I love all of this.
Only thing i ask is what u mean exactly by Sezer facing a dark journey to smashing blokes? Do u mean you think he needs to, or u sense that it will happen regardless?

A top post. U could be a coach in a former life.

Tamwelg
08-09-13, 11:45 PM
I love all of this.
Only thing i ask is what u mean exactly by Sezer facing a dark journey to smashing blokes? Do u mean you think he needs to, or u sense that it will happen regardless?

A top post. U could be a coach in a former life.

Yep great post, if only I had the like button on here. Its on the new layout :banana:

Titanic
09-09-13, 09:16 AM
Sezer has a defensive flaw from what I've seen. He is often caught out and we never seem to have someone minding him. Bird, Harrison, Ridge and Minichiello all have had a go but without great success so the first solution should be that he spends a large amount of the off-season working on that. The second part of that is the team's defensive structure built around shoring-up our left edge and our right side.

From my couch, I feel that teams either go around us or move us around then go through us and that's as much an issue as our lack of a potent offensive structure. I'll give cartwright something he seems to be able to get the team up at times. He may not be able to coach too well but the enthusiasm that the teams displays on their own goal line comes from somewhere but certainly not their structure.

I may as well add: how about the kicking game of our hookers being ramped up a notch or three and seeing I'm on a roll let's look at set plays and 5th tackle options too? :p

DavidBouveng
09-09-13, 12:14 PM
Yeah I've noticed Sezer stays in when the man sweeps behind and then the opposition either burn right through his gap, or others close it an we open up out wide then.

Alby was similar early on, but Jamal kept saving his ass.

TITAN FAN
09-09-13, 02:02 PM
Yep

Agree top post
You were a coach in your former life !!!

Blade07
09-09-13, 03:24 PM
Albert Kelly leads the nrl in missed tackles

Hail Sezer
09-09-13, 03:40 PM

Probably because he defends in the line and has a tackling style which chops them without him holding them on the ground.

Would you leave Alby out? lol

Toads
09-09-13, 03:42 PM

..and the magic number is?

Geeman
09-09-13, 04:17 PM
Not sure on my starting squad yet, but I definitely vote Titanic as Head Coach :thumbsup:

Geeman
09-09-13, 04:21 PM

He is also the 9th highest tackler in our whole squad, 1 tackle behind Bird.

Titans Riley
10-09-13, 03:15 PM
My team

1. David Mead
2. Kevin Gordon
3. Maurice Blair
4. Jamal Idris
5. Will Zillman
6. Aidan Sezer
7. Albert Kelly
8. Ryan James
9. Beau Falloon
10. Nate Myles
11. David Taylor
12. Brad Takairangi
13. Greg Bird

14. Luke Bailey
15. Luke Douglas
16. Ben Ridge
17. Ashley Harrison/ Mark Minichello

18. Matt Srama
19. Mark Ioane
20. Matt White

Fullback
1st Choice - David Mead, I'd go with Mead simply because he is superior in that position compared to Zillman and/or Rankin. Zillman, despite potential, is not our solution to fullback. I cannot understand why Cartwright goes with him over Mead. Mead is faster, more elusive, and has a good link up with Gordon. The only thing Mead is yet to offer is ball playing ability, but if Cartwright can work on that then we'll have one of the best fullbacks in the comp.
2nd Choice - Will Zillman, Zillman offers great cover up for Mead, but I'd personally stick him on the wing. Just doesn't do it for me, doesn't support, ball playing is okay, but simply is not quick enough, nor does he offer any defensive safety.
3rd Choice - Marmin Barba, although he is a half, his brother, who played at 6 all his life turned into a superstar, and I can see Marmin doing the same. Very elusive, and great ball playing skills, just a bit small, but definitely deserves a shot in first grade.
4th Choice - Jordan Rankin, don't like him as a player, offers very little, and is bad in defence.

Left Wing
1st Choice - The obvious choice at left wing is Kevin Gordon, possibly had his best year in 2013, and was probably the best winger in the whole comp, especially in the back half of the season. His speed is coming back, in the air he is awesome, and can finish in spectacular form. An absolutely great player, and I'm glad we have him.

2nd Choice - Sioutonga Likiliki, I hope I've got that right. Likiliki is a left centre, but can play wing as well. He is big, strong and very similar to Hurrell. And if Blair fails us at centre, I suggest moving Likiliki there.

3rd Choice - Steve Michaels - Defensively he is quite good, attacking wise, he is very very bad. Cannot hold a ball, and is not a good finisher, when we pick him I get very worried.

Left Centre
1st Choice - Maurice Blair, we bought Blair for a reason, and that is because Takairangi simply isn't a centre. Blair has been outstanding at the Storm this year, and hopefully can recoup that form for next year. Hits a hole very well, and defensively is sound. I hope he's out solution.

2nd Choice - Sioutonga Likiliki, looks like a great prospect with a great future, again like I said as a winger, he is big and strong.

Right Centre
1st Choice - Jamal Idris, last year, I though Jamal was a terrible buy. This year, I have been so damn happy with his form, he has been without a doubt, the best Titan for this year. Strong, powerful, defensively awesome. Idris is worth the money, and I love him.

2nd Choice - Only if Jamal is injured would I play Zillman at right centre.

Right Wing
1st Choice - Will Zillman, at wing in 2010, Zillman was very good, and I thought he played exceptionally, hopefully he can bring back that form from 2010.

2nd Choice - Anthony Don, Don's debut year has been that of a roller coaster, as of late he's been quite good, Round 26 and 25 have been very good displays from Don. He offers little in defense, but is great in the air and can run quite quickly. His defense will only improve.

3rd Choice - Mark O'Dare, am yet to see much of O'Dare. Saw him play in the trial game against the Warriors earlier this year, and he looked very good, I was definitely impressed with him.

Five-Eighth

1st Choice - Aidan Sezer, Sezer has had a great year this year, and without him we've performed poorly. Great long kicking game, and I can see 2014 being a great year for Aidan.

2nd Choice - Beau Henry, Henry played well in the one game we had him for, similar to Sezer, good kicking game.

Half Back
1st Choice - Albert Kelly, Kelly has had a great year this year, once him and Jamal start their little thing they had this year, we'll again be a formidable attacking side.

2nd Choice - Marmin Barba, very similar to Kelly, great ball skills, and very elusive and quick.

3rd Choice - Christian Hazard, haven't seen him play, but have heard good things.

Hooker
1st Choice - Beau Falloon, Falloon has been outstanding this back half of the year, if he can develop a kicking game over the off season, Falloon will be one of the prime hookers next season.

2nd Choice - Matt Srama, Srama is a good hooker, but is inferior to that of Falloon. He just isn't as agressive, nor does he do much dummy half running, possibly playing on the reserves, not sure, for me he's 18th man.

Front Row Pairing

My starting front row would be Ryan James and Nate Myles. James is a very aggressive and running front rower, similar to that of a JWH or Kasiano. But can play big minutes and can make a lot of tackles. He is going to play for Australia very soon. Myles hasn't had a great year this year, and I've personally been dissapointed with him. But I believe he can come back to form next year. Great work rate.

Back Row
My back row would consist of Dave Taylor on the left, and Brad Takairangi on the right. I can see Taylor doing exactly what Idris has done since coming to the Titans. His first season hasn't been great, but his second season will be outstanding. He has been playing great lately, and hopefully will continue that form into next year. Takairangi isn't a centre; he is very big and strong, and offers some X-Factor on that right side with Jamal and Kelly. I'd play him on the right and give him 50-60 minutes.

Lock
Greg Bird. Bird has been one of the Titans best this year, his early season form was out standing. Get that Blonde hair back!!! But in all seriousness, he is a much better choice than Harrison. Bird is not only aggressive, he has a great work rate, is very tough and has great ball skills. The perfect lock IMO, and I see him playing there next year.

Reserves
Luke Bailey, Luke Douglas, Ben Ridge and Harrison/Minichello - Bailey, in hopefully his last season, isn't as good as his past years. But still offers a lot in chasing kicks, and defense. Douglas reminds me a lot of James Graham, comes off the bench and plays big minutes, great work rate and just needs to be more agressive. Ridge, I can see him rotating between Lock and Second Row, playing 20-40 minutes. Harrison, just not that great of a player, offers very little except in defense. Minichello, great running player, defense is a worry.

Coaster
10-09-13, 03:47 PM
My team

1. David Mead
2. Kevin Gordon
3. Maurice Blair
4. Jamal Idris
5. Will Zillman
6. Aidan Sezer
7. Albert Kelly
8. Ryan James
9. Beau Falloon
10. Nate Myles
11. David Taylor
12. Brad Takairangi
13. Greg Bird

14. Luke Bailey
15. Luke Douglas
16. Ben Ridge

18. Matt Srama
19. Mark Ioane
20. Matt White

Fullback
1st Choice - David Mead, I'd go with Mead simply because he is superior in that position compared to Zillman and/or Rankin. Zillman, despite potential, is not our solution to fullback. I cannot understand why Cartwright goes with him over Mead. Mead is faster, more elusive, and has a good link up with Gordon. The only thing Mead is yet to offer is ball playing ability, but if Cartwright can work on that then we'll have one of the best fullbacks in the comp.
2nd Choice - Will Zillman, Zillman offers great cover up for Mead, but I'd personally stick him on the wing. Just doesn't do it for me, doesn't support, ball playing is okay, but simply is not quick enough, nor does he offer any defensive safety.
3rd Choice - Marmin Barba, although he is a half, his brother, who played at 6 all his life turned into a superstar, and I can see Marmin doing the same. Very elusive, and great ball playing skills, just a bit small, but definitely deserves a shot in first grade.
4th Choice - Jordan Rankin, don't like him as a player, offers very little, and is bad in defence.

Left Wing
1st Choice - The obvious choice at left wing is Kevin Gordon, possibly had his best year in 2013, and was probably the best winger in the whole comp, especially in the back half of the season. His speed is coming back, in the air he is awesome, and can finish in spectacular form. An absolutely great player, and I'm glad we have him.

2nd Choice - Sioutonga Likiliki, I hope I've got that right. Likiliki is a left centre, but can play wing as well. He is big, strong and very similar to Hurrell. And if Blair fails us at centre, I suggest moving Likiliki there.

3rd Choice - Steve Michaels - Defensively he is quite good, attacking wise, he is very very bad. Cannot hold a ball, and is not a good finisher, when we pick him I get very worried.

Left Centre
1st Choice - Maurice Blair, we bought Blair for a reason, and that is because Takairangi simply isn't a centre. Blair has been outstanding at the Storm this year, and hopefully can recoup that form for next year. Hits a hole very well, and defensively is sound. I hope he's out solution.

2nd Choice - Sioutonga Likiliki, looks like a great prospect with a great future, again like I said as a winger, he is big and strong.

Right Centre
1st Choice - Jamal Idris, last year, I though Jamal was a terrible buy. This year, I have been so damn happy with his form, he has been without a doubt, the best Titan for this year. Strong, powerful, defensively awesome. Idris is worth the money, and I love him.

2nd Choice - Only if Jamal is injured would I play Zillman at right centre.

Right Wing
1st Choice - Will Zillman, at wing in 2010, Zillman was very good, and I thought he played exceptionally, hopefully he can bring back that form from 2010.

2nd Choice - Anthony Don, Don's debut year has been that of a roller coaster, as of late he's been quite good, Round 26 and 25 have been very good displays from Don. He offers little in defense, but is great in the air and can run quite quickly. His defense will only improve.

3rd Choice - Mark O'Dare, am yet to see much of O'Dare. Saw him play in the trial game against the Warriors earlier this year, and he looked very good, I was definitely impressed with him.

Five-Eighth

1st Choice - Aidan Sezer, Sezer has had a great year this year, and without him we've performed poorly. Great long kicking game, and I can see 2014 being a great year for Aidan.

2nd Choice - Beau Henry, Henry played well in the one game we had him for, similar to Sezer, good kicking game.

Half Back
1st Choice - Albert Kelly, Kelly has had a great year this year, once him and Jamal start their little thing they had this year, we'll again be a formidable attacking side.

2nd Choice - Marmin Barba, very similar to Kelly, great ball skills, and very elusive and quick.

3rd Choice - Christian Hazard, haven't seen him play, but have heard good things.

Hooker
1st Choice - Beau Falloon, Falloon has been outstanding this back half of the year, if he can develop a kicking game over the off season, Falloon will be one of the prime hookers next season.

2nd Choice - Matt Srama, Srama is a good hooker, but is inferior to that of Falloon. He just isn't as agressive, nor does he do much dummy half running, possibly playing on the reserves, not sure, for me he's 18th man.

Front Row Pairing

My starting front row would be Ryan James and Nate Myles. James is a very aggressive and running front rower, similar to that of a JWH or Kasiano. But can play big minutes and can make a lot of tackles. He is going to play for Australia very soon. Myles hasn't had a great year this year, and I've personally been dissapointed with him. But I believe he can come back to form next year. Great work rate.

Back Row
My back row would consist of Dave Taylor on the left, and Brad Takairangi on the right. I can see Taylor doing exactly what Idris has done since coming to the Titans. His first season hasn't been great, but his second season will be outstanding. He has been playing great lately, and hopefully will continue that form into next year. Takairangi isn't a centre; he is very big and strong, and offers some X-Factor on that right side with Jamal and Kelly. I'd play him on the right and give him 50-60 minutes.

Lock
Greg Bird. Bird has been one of the Titans best this year, his early season form was out standing. Get that Blonde hair back!!! But in all seriousness, he is a much better choice than Harrison. Bird is not only aggressive, he has a great work rate, is very tough and has great ball skills. The perfect lock IMO, and I see him playing there next year.

Reserves
Luke Bailey, Luke Douglas, Ben Ridge and Harrison/Minichello - Bailey, in hopefully his last season, isn't as good as his past years. But still offers a lot in chasing kicks, and defense. Douglas reminds me a lot of James Graham, comes off the bench and plays big minutes, great work rate and just needs to be more agressive. Ridge, I can see him rotating between Lock and Second Row, playing 20-40 minutes. Harrison, just not that great of a player, offers very little except in defense. Minichello, great running player, defense is a worry.

Great first post.

welcome to the forum, :clap:

C-Whiz
10-09-13, 05:47 PM
My team

1. David Mead
2. Kevin Gordon
3. Maurice Blair
4. Jamal Idris
5. Will Zillman
6. Aidan Sezer
7. Albert Kelly
8. Ryan James
9. Beau Falloon
10. Nate Myles
11. David Taylor
12. Brad Takairangi
13. Greg Bird

14. Luke Bailey
15. Luke Douglas
16. Ben Ridge

18. Matt Srama
19. Mark Ioane
20. Matt White

Takairangi isn't a centre; he is very big and strong, and offers some X-Factor on that right side with Jamal and Kelly. I'd play him on the right and give him 50-60 minutes.I like this team, and almost everything you have said. I've never been 100% with Taka at centre but he does look strong and aggressive and has something good to offer from second row.

Great first post.

welcome to the forum, :clap:Agreed. Top way to join the forum. :thumbsup:

teke
10-09-13, 06:02 PM
Nice read Riley, you named a few players that won't be here next yr but welcome

TITAN FAN
10-09-13, 06:37 PM
Yes a great post

I think you might be Titanics assistant

I definately like Taylor and James starting
and Falloon has shown he has the goods as the 9 and can play the 80

I would imagine Srama commanded the 9 money when he recontracted and Falloon has overtaken him in terms of his aggression and skills that said they will have to play the two in rotation as they dont pay good dollars for a hooker to be on the fringe

Coaster
10-09-13, 06:42 PM
Man i hate hearing this talk about young Srama.

I totally understand what you are saying based on current form, but is there not one coach in this total shamble of a club that can take this kid and develop a kicking game, and get him to "Step Up" to the next level required?

I am not talking about first grade, because he is good enough for that, i am speaking about becoming a superstar?

DavidBouveng
10-09-13, 09:01 PM
Nice read Riley, you named a few players that won't be here next yr but welcome

Who won't be here from his 17 next year??

teke
10-09-13, 09:05 PM
Who won't be here from his 17 next year??he named odare and barba

teke
10-09-13, 09:10 PM
Man i hate hearing this talk about young Srama.

I totally understand what you are saying based on current form, but is there not one coach in this total shamble of a club that can take this kid and develop a kicking game, and get him to "Step Up" to the next level required?

I am not talking about first grade, because he is good enough for that, i am speaking about becoming a superstar?i hear what u are saying but I rate Irwin over both hookers. He can do everything and a lot of things better than the 2 in front of him IMO and is rated among his peers.

Julius Sezer
11-09-13, 06:39 AM
Hey it's Titans Riley, the guy who comments on Zerotackle. Always enjoyed reading your comments on Zerotackle as you have a good understanding of footy. Welcome to the forums mate :thumbsup:

Hail Sezer
11-09-13, 08:08 AM
Yeah I've seen Riley posting around Zerotackle too. Welcome bro.

It's pleasing to see the general consensus on here is that Meady deserves the #1 jersey. Zillman must be concerned that Meady played better in 3 games at the back than he did all season. I think the most reasonable option is for him and Meady to just do a direct positional swap so Zill ends up on the wing..he'd do fine there. If we sign another fullback in the off-season then things will get very interdasting.

Titans Riley
11-09-13, 09:10 AM
Thanks for your feedback guys :)

C-Whiz
11-09-13, 09:38 AM
It's pleasing to see the general consensus on here is that Meady deserves the #1 jersey. I think the most reasonable option is for him and Meady to just do a direct positional swap so Zill ends up on the wing..he'd do fine there.I'd be very happy with this, and if it doesn't work the whole team doesn't need to be shuffled to undo/change it.

Toads
11-09-13, 12:57 PM
It's pleasing to see the general consensus on here is that Meady deserves the #1 jersey. Zillman must be concerned that Meady played better in 3 games at the back than he did all season. I think the most reasonable option is for him and Meady to just do a direct positional swap so Zill ends up on the wing..he'd do fine there. If we sign another fullback in the off-season then things will get very interdasting.

Personally, I don't think a complete swap will work all that well for us. Fair enough, Meady does have the potential to develop in a good Fullback, but I don't think he's there yet. Some good mentoring/training would see that sorted. But it's blatantly obvious we don't have the Coaches/Trainers/Resources to take him to the next level.

As for Zilly for Wing. That would be a pretty good position for him as he'd have less to worry about than what he does at Fullback, but it comes back to the same old issue with him. He doesn't have that explosive speed to take him the full length of the paddock like a good Winger should. He's only good for about 40-50 metres 'n he starts to pull up.

So unfortunately, I don't think a swap will resolve all our issues in those two positions. :?)

EDIT: If you look back over the years, we have bought players to cover positions. But since our inception, most of those players have retired and now our Coaching Department has been exposed to what a shambles it really is. It was all fine when we had the likes of Prince, Rogers, Campbell, now they're gone our inability to bring younger players up through the ranks is pretty obvious. I guess it was bound to happen eventually, but now it's out there. Nothing has come to the fore to suggest that we're going to see any major changes in the near future. To me, that's the sad part about our ordeal..

Hail Sezer
11-09-13, 01:23 PM
Personally, I don't think a complete swap will work all that well for us. Fair enough, Meady does have the potential to develop in a good Fullback, but I don't think he's there yet. Some good mentoring/training would see that sorted. But it's blatantly obvious we don't have the Coaches/Trainers/Resources to take him to the next level.

As for Zilly for Wing. That would be a pretty good position for him as he'd have less to worry about than what he does at Fullback, but it comes back to the same old issue with him. He doesn't have that explosive speed to take him the full length of the paddock like a good Winger should. He's only good for about 40-50 metres 'n he starts to pull up.

So unfortunately, I don't think a swap will resolve all our isses in those two positions. :?)

Some good points mate. I guess I still think that, even at this point in time, Mead is a better option than Zillman at the back. Agree on the lack of resources/training to take players to the next level, but then again that is consistent across the entire team. The players I feel most sorry for are our halves. If Zillman's error count and apparent organisational difficulties (thanks Titanic) were not evident then I'd be far more willing to have him back there. But the fact he has been there for so long and still hasn't developed a play-making game, still makes stupid errors etc etc..I feel he is, at best, just a slower and less busy version of Mead. Edit: add error riddled to that

Regarding the speed thing, I think he'd hang with a lot of wingers in the comp. And how often is it really that any wingers, let alone ours within our "attacking" structure, get in the open more than 50m out? :laugh:

Once again this comes back to coaching...surprise surprise.

teke
11-09-13, 01:37 PM
Mead shouldn't go to fb unless we had someone to teach him? Nah, he would learn that position well by himself like countless others throughout history.

My team lineup is same as this yr with Henry as coach

Toads
11-09-13, 01:45 PM
Mead shouldn't go to fb unless we had someone to teach him? Nah, he would learn that position well by himself like countless others throughout history.

My team lineup is same as this yr with Henry as coach

Nope, I didn't say he shouldn't go there. Just stating a complete swap with Zillman wouldn't resolve our issues alone.

EDIT: He probably does need some tips along the way as well, if he's to go to Fullback. One mistake I've seen him make on a couple of occasions, is a attacking player has turned him inside out when they run at him. Not something I recall happening all that often to him as Winger. He might well learn a fair bit along the the way as he plays the position. But as with everyone, some pointers from those that know the position well, wouldn't go astray. To me, Meady doesn't look completely comfortable as a Fullback just yet..

C-Whiz
11-09-13, 03:45 PM
I feel he is, at best, just a slower and less busy version of Mead. Edit: add error riddled to thatThis pretty much sums up the whole Zilly vs Mead argument for me. Nicely said. :thumbsup:

teke
11-09-13, 04:19 PM
Nope, I didn't say he shouldn't go there. Just stating a complete swap with Zillman wouldn't resolve our issues alone.

EDIT: He probably does need some tips along the way as well, if he's to go to Fullback. One mistake I've seen him make on a couple of occasions, is a attacking player has turned him inside out when they run at him. Not something I recall happening all that often to him as Winger. He might well learn a fair bit along the the way as he plays the position. But as with everyone, some pointers from those that know the position well, wouldn't go astray. To me, Meady doesn't look completely comfortable as a Fullback just yet..He doesn't look like a fb cause he isn't one and has never had the coaches backing in that position. I need him to stay on the wing get into origin, that is my wish for him

Titanic
11-09-13, 11:33 PM
He doesn't look like a fb cause he isn't one and has never had the coaches backing in that position. I need him to stay on the wing get into origin, that is my wish for him
You'll do anything to get that #1 jersey :)

teke
12-09-13, 03:36 AM
You'll do anything to get that #1 jersey :):)

Julius Sezer
13-09-13, 11:29 PM
Loved this video about Kelly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N04LVmjuAiE

Toads
14-09-13, 10:01 AM
Nice one.. Cheers for sharing. :)

teke
14-09-13, 02:17 PM
Loved it, in a better performing squad the package could have been so much better. Feels like such a long time ago now.

He has great speed even with ball in hand

Coaster
14-09-13, 02:23 PM
Yeah that's a great video.
He has some skills.

Supergoose
15-09-13, 12:49 AM
If Zillman gets put on the right, we're in all sorts. He's as left sided as they come. Most of his errors at fullback are when he goes right. I also reckon he is miles in front of Blair as a left centre and if he plays on the wing Gordon would have to play right.

Siuatonga will be interesting. I'm confident he can play left or right. We're certainly blessed to have him as depth if nothing else.

We have a lot to look forward to next season. The most exciting signing may be the proposed assistant coach. This could make a world of difference.

Steve
15-09-13, 08:59 AM
Loved this video about Kelly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N04LVmjuAiE

Nice video!

One thing I noticed in the Sharks vs Titans footage, with the Sharks, he always had someone hanging off him waiting for that offload. Rarely anyone near him when he makes a break for the Titans.

Titanic
15-09-13, 11:48 AM
100% Steve ... if the team is not coached to back-up and they don't have plays to encourage that then they won't. After all in the current climate, players answer to the coach and the coach answers for performance, so who do you listen to? As long as you do what the coach asks then you'll be right ... and if the team underperforms then the coach will take the fall.

teke
15-09-13, 12:54 PM
If Zillman gets put on the right, we're in all sorts. He's as left sided as they come. Most of his errors at fullback are when he goes right. I also reckon he is miles in front of Blair as a left centre and if he plays on the wing Gordon would have to play right.

Siuatonga will be interesting. I'm confident he can play left or right. We're certainly blessed to have him as depth if nothing else.

We have a lot to look forward to next season. The most exciting signing may be the proposed assistant coach. This could make a world of difference.imo the squad is looking pretty much the same as this yr. if that's the way it ends up then the only thing that could help us is a good assistant coach and I am not holding my breath for that one.

Bayside Titan
15-09-13, 07:36 PM
I can't remember who it is but who would be our Marquee player ? Taylor , Idris?

Smakked
15-09-13, 07:42 PM
I can't remember who it is but who would be our Marquee player ? Taylor , Idris?

Zillman by far

teke
I can't remember who it is but who would be our Marquee player ? Taylor , Idris?there are 6 I think, so both of them def

teke
Zillman by farhe is one of them

Hail Sezer
15-09-13, 07:44 PM
he is one of them

is this real tea? He's one of our marquee players?

teke
15-09-13, 07:48 PM
is this real tea? He's one of our marquee players?i don't know for sure but IMO he would be. You don't get a 5 yr deal without being highly rated. He has a great image to work with

DavidBouveng
15-09-13, 09:03 PM
Nice video!

One thing I noticed in the Sharks vs Titans footage, with the Sharks, he always had someone hanging off him waiting for that offload. Rarely anyone near him when he makes a break for the Titans.

Yep. So alby in himself is our best support player. So many of his breaks and tries came from running people (mostly idris).

So the next step is the one-two punch of someone following the follower and having a strong ethic of support play, cos alby when doesn't make it all the way through, he is robust for a little guy and gets his head through a lot so we will get easy yards and more likey points if we back him up.

Steve
15-09-13, 09:39 PM
Yep. So alby in himself is our best support player. So many of his breaks and tries came from running people (mostly idris).

So the next step is the one-two punch of someone following the follower and having a strong ethic of support play, cos alby when doesn't make it all the way through, he is robust for a little guy and gets his head through a lot so we will get easy yards and more likey points if we back him up.

That's it. He's great at supporting, and the video highlighted that, scoring off Idris and Zillman. He kind of plays like a fullback in support, so we need a fullback who does the same. Would love to see Mead given the 1 jersey, and the mandate to follow the ball. The likes of Kelly, Idris and Zillman are great at breaking the line, but they need to capitalise. I think Zillman has been criticised for not passing the ball, but really, the team doesn't do support play, so who is he going to pass to?

DavidBouveng
16-09-13, 08:39 PM
That's it. He's great at supporting, and the video highlighted that, scoring off Idris and Zillman. He kind of plays like a fullback in support, so we need a fullback who does the same. Would love to see Mead given the 1 jersey, and the mandate to follow the ball. The likes of Kelly, Idris and Zillman are great at breaking the line, but they need to capitalise. I think Zillman has been criticised for not passing the ball, but really, the team doesn't do support play, so who is he going to pass to?

I'd add to meads mandate to follow the ball, to also just follow alby as he will be on it more often than not. And that second support player is the one that goes unnoticed till its too late by the defence.