View Full Version : Round 24: Gold Coast Titans vs New Zealand Warriors

Boofhead
18-08-13, 11:28 AM
Gold Coast Titans vs New Zealand Warriors

5.30pm Saturday 24 August 2013 - Skilled Park

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/titansvswarriors.jpg

Boofhead
18-08-13, 11:30 AM
Fingers crossed Birdy and Kelly will be fit.

Toads
18-08-13, 04:15 PM
Just watched the Warriors vs. Panthers Match.. We got no fricken hope for the remainder of the year.

Boofhead
18-08-13, 06:41 PM
Bailey and Kelly return to boost Titans
Liam Butterworth | Sun Aug 18 2013, 12:27

Coach John Cartwright says the Gold Coast's horror run of injuries may be tempered by the return of Albert Kelly and Luke Bailey next week as their final hopes still sit firmly in their own hands.

Utility Luke O'Dwyer joined centre Jamal Idris on the club's long term injury list after he was carried off against North Queensland on Saturday, with scans to confirm if the 30-year-old has been forced into early retirement with an anterior cruciate ligament tear.

Another injury scare had already gone through the team after captain Greg Bird was carried off with a back injury, but team doctors were hopeful it was just a spasm and he would be ready to play the New Zealand Warriors at home on Saturday.

But with fullback William Zillman and hooker Matt Srama making their return in the 22-10 loss to the Cowboys, Cartwright said the return of Kelly and former Origin and Test prop Luke Bailey could be consolation for the loss of O'Dwyer.

Earlier this month it appeared Bailey's career was over on 249 games after a serious ankle injury, while five-eighth Kelly was also in doubt for a return this season after serious bruising on his sternum.

"It's (finals destiny)still in our own hands and I knew that coming up here (to Townsville)," Cartwright said.

"We're getting some fresh troops at a really important time."

The Titans mentor said his fears were realised with a slow start against the Cowboys, saying the five day turnaround from Monday's win over the Canterbury Bulldogs had hurt them.

But they can't afford that type of start if they are wanting to keep their spot at eighth.

The Gold Coast's run gets even harder in the final two weeks, playing away to leaders Sydney Roosters and defending premiers Melbourne Storm.

Prop Nate Myles said the injury toll didn't excuse the loss against the Cowboys, with plenty of chances still left to win the match. He said they didn't deserve to be playing finals football this year if they couldn't produce 80 minute performances.

"I think it's probably a good test for us," Myles said.

"If we're not competing with sides like the Roosters and Melbourne, which to be honest we shouldn't even be talking about because we've still got the Warriors next week.

"In saying that the Warriors when they're on they're one of the best to play against.

"If we're not competing with those three teams and if we lose we don't really deserve to be in the finals."

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8708074

Boofhead
18-08-13, 06:46 PM
1. Mead
2. Gordon
3. Takairangi
4. Dowling
5. Zillman
6. Sezer
7. Kelly
8. James
9. Srama
10. Myles
11. Harrison
12. Minichiello
13. Bird

14. Taylor
15. Douglas
16. Ridge
17. Falloon

18. Bailey

thelwall
18-08-13, 08:05 PM
1. Mead
2. Gordon
3. Takairangi
4. zillman
5. dowling
6. Sezer
7. Kelly
8. James
9. Falloon
10. Bailey
11. myles
12. Harrison
13. Bird

14. Taylor
15. Douglas
16. Ridge
17. Srama
18. Minichiello

Hail Sezer
18-08-13, 08:29 PM
1. Zillman
2. Zillman
3. Zillman
4. Zillman
5. Zillman
6. Zillman
7. Zillman
8. Zillman
9. Zillman
10. Zillman
11. Zillman
12. Zillman
13. Zillman

14. Zillman
15. Zillman
16. Zillman
17. Zillman
18. Zillman

Supergoose
18-08-13, 10:14 PM
We are still in the 8 after the results this weekend. We should be very optimistic e about our chances. I don't want to see Bailey sharking hit-ups from James and Douglas who have been great in his absence. We need Bailey to take control in short bursts and leave the hard yakka to the young blood.

I'd love to see Kelly back in the halves and Harrison shuffled out to an edge if bird is good to go. Zillman to left centre for Dowling and Don to right wing with Mead at the back. Likely Falloon is out I guess

Mead, Gordon, Zillman, Taka, Don, Sezer, Kelly, James, Srama, Myles, Taylor, Harrison, Bird, Ridge, Bailey, Douglas, Minichiello, Dowling.

teke
18-08-13, 10:27 PM
I just wanna see them run hard and tackle hard which they didn't really do too well vs the cows

Supergoose
18-08-13, 10:46 PM
Not all of them, I agree. Did Taka have ice-skates on, because he could barely stand upright. Harrison showed why he's not a 5/8 and Sezer showed he still has a stack of improvement as far as consistency goes.

C-Whiz
20-08-13, 08:43 AM
Who is going to this game? Family day, etc. I'll be taking the 4 of us.

This is our season here. I still think Storm last round could give us their B team, depending on what they have to play for, and they might get beat up against Manly in round 25, rest players etc, so I still have us for 2 points from that game.

Either way, we still MUST WIN this game.

I'll be there enjoying the last home game of the regular season. Gonna make a day of it, catch a bit of FMX before the game, might even splurge on a couple of overpriced mid-strengths for me and some hot chips for the kids. :D

Mt Smart
20-08-13, 11:50 AM
Hi guys it's that time of year again.

Tough Weekend for us over here in Auckland , took my young fellah to watch the Warriors capitulate to the Panthers.

Still smarting ( pun intended ) from that one but I'll try me best to be constructive.

This game looms as a real tough call as far as who wins it goes.
But to give you all some sense of what many Warriors fans are seeing with the team of late.....a smart / surgical type offense will win it for the Titans
You have the edge players to take the Warriors apart in the same way Penrith did. Manu can't mark up one on one against a Winger who can move laterally.
This problem is amplified by Dane Neilson being out injured ( scans / xrays to come ) Jerome Ropati who is at the Clinton Toopi stage of his career is the likely replacement ( sheit )

Shaun Johnson defending on the other edge is a Nancy , a two on one using a tall / off loading player to commit Hurrell and a hard running Backrower will carry Johnsons Jersey grab all the way to the Try line.

Well that's my five cents.
The squad across the park looks flat , only one new player ( Suia Matangi ) is going to need careful watching ( runs like a cape buffalo ).
Freindy has had his contract extended of course and he is one of few who can hold his head up after this week.....expect the usual class from him ( have you got any more like that bloke you all want to sell ? ).
This is the only club I can stand losing to because it's the other mob of underdogs versus the Evil NRL Empire.

Good Luck enjoy the game , If you win I'll be ridding the Titans into the finals

Titanic
20-08-13, 12:30 PM
Nice summary MS ... I thought Neilson was going to be great for you guys but he's done a Champion on you this year. I would take Ropati over either of our centres at the moment but Matangi is a revelation particularly as he's in my DreamTeam ... we don't have any more players for you but we do have a coach you can have ... good luck this weekend but not too much of it :)

Also my 2 cents worth anybody else think it will be Minichiello or Ridge that will get the chop and not Falloon?

K2G
20-08-13, 01:24 PM
The iSelect Gold Coast Titans have today named halfback Albert Kelly to return from injury for the club’s final home game of the regular season against the New Zealand Warriors at Skilled Park on Saturday night (5.30pm).

iSelect Titans vs Warriors
Saturday, August 24
5.30pm, Skilled Park

1 William Zillman
2 Kevin Gordon
3 Brad Takairangi
4 Jamie Dowling
5 David Mead
6 Aidan Sezer
7 Albert Kelly
8 Luke Douglas
9 Beau Falloon
10 Nate Myles
11 Greg Bird
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Ashley Harrison
Interchange
14 David Taylor
15 Ryan James
16 Ben Ridge
17 Matt Srama

Hail Sezer
20-08-13, 01:47 PM
How the hell does Zillman deserve to be wearing the #1? It's insulting to Meady.

K2G
20-08-13, 02:06 PM
I think we'll win this game. But for the sake of debate...

Mead should've stayed at fullback
Sezer should've stayed at halfback
Bird should've stayed at lock
Why not just put James in the starting line up on the team sheet?
The 'Dave Taylor off the bench' experiment has failed.

Zillman is utterly boring at the back and despite his best season with us so far, has still been outshone by mead in the two and a half games mead has had in the shirt. Switching them mid-way through a game is either a) a pathetically un-rehe****d gameplan or b) a coach panicking

Stoked for Alby to come back - but it seems a no brainer to me that Sezer is our halfback, Alby is our 5/8 based on the roles they each play. I know it doesn't really mean much in the modern game, but it just reeks of Carty trying to 'fool' the opposition in the same way Ryan James starting is apparently intended to. But, for all I know Carty and Murphy are expert sports psychologists and have determined that keeping their own players guessing improves their on field performance. James has been awesome, so has Sezer really (all things considered).

Harrison has been pretty good on the edges so would've been fine in 2nd row. Bird's footwork and offload would be gold up the middle around tiring NZ forwards

I have no doubt DT will, like Jamal turn out to be a good buy for us eventually. Greater minds than mine have failed to solve the CoalTrain conundrum, so i certainly don't hope to, but i think it's time to elevate him to the starting side, or drop him completely until he jumps through whatever hoops carty has set for him. At the moment, he is being outperformed by everyone on the bench, and is essentially wasting a spot. I know the popular mantra for players trying to work their way into a starting side is more quality not minutes - but i just think DT is a confidence player. Coming off the bench is not doing him or us any favours.

Dowling has been okay as a defensive center, but Don shows more in attack, I'm not sold on either of them, and thought the competition for those spots would've unearthed far more exciting results by this stage of the season...

With us signing Blair next season I'm curious as to what that means for Takairangi. He hasn't been great the last couple of games, but i still think he has potential and would hate to see him goooone.

K2G
20-08-13, 02:21 PM
Gold Coast Titan David Mead will retain a roving role in attack despite the return of fullback William Zillman.

DAVID Mead has been given licence to retain a roving role in attack for the Titans despite the return of fullback William Zillman.

Regular winger Mead was shifted to the back to cover for Zillman - who is battling a long-term groin injury - after the Titans plumped for youngster Jahrome Hughes and playmaker Jordan Rankin early in his absence.

Such was his success, Mead has been given the OK to continue to probe for holes up the middle of the ground as the Titans explore every avenue to gain a finals place.

Mead proved a revelation during his foray to fullback, averaging more than 150m in runs, three line breaks, six tackle breaks and a try in his two games starting in the No.1 jersey.

While he started on the wing in the weekend's loss to the Cowboys, his occasional switches to the back left him able to exploit any chances available and he made one of only two line-breaks on the night as the Titans struggled to match the improved North Queensland outfit.

''Especially teams we play up the middle, I've been told to hang around up the middle and look for some holes and stick my nose through there,'' Mead said.

''I enjoyed fullback. The thing was we had Zilly back this week and we all know what he can do.

''Having him at fullback and me on the wing is best for the team.''

Mead has had a horror season, being restricted to the sideline for extended periods after breaking his jaw twice. His absence robbed the Titans of one of their most potent scoring forces.

While he can be a danger from the back, Mead's presence on the right wing is also a boon for the Titans, giving them genuine scoring options on either side of the field with left winger Kevin Gordon in career-best form.

''Kev's been on fire the last month. He's on 15 tries and about to break my record of 16, so I've got to try to catch up to him,'' Mead said.

''But having both of us on the wing, we try to do our best ... and if that helps the team then that's what we'll do.''

The Titans need to win at least two of their final three games against the Warriors (h), Roosters (a) and Storm (a) to make the playoffs for the first time since 2010 but Mead said there was still great belief in the side.

''Everything's in our control right now,'' he said. ''I believe we can (win our last three).

''We've just got to go out and play according to our game plan and do everything the coach tells us to do and everything we've trained for, and I'm sure we'll get wins.''

Greg Bird is likely to be named today for Saturday's clash against the Warriors at Skilled Park despite being taken from the field in Townsville with back spasms caused by a disc injury.

Albert Kelly will face a fitness test later in the week on his injured sternum.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2013/08/20/456640_gold-coast-titans.html

Ridiculous.
I honestly feel sorry for the bloke, and tremble with anger at the thought of what he might be capable of under an effective coaching structure. :fight:

titanfan1980
20-08-13, 05:00 PM

Sezer should've stayed at halfback
Bird should've stayed at lock
Why not just put James in the starting line up on the team sheet?
The 'Dave Taylor off the bench' experiment has failed.

Zillman is utterly boring at the back and despite his best season with us so far, has still been outshone by mead in the two and a half games mead has had in the shirt. Switching them mid-way through a game is either a) a pathetically un-rehe****d gameplan or b) a coach panicking

Stoked for Alby to come back - but it seems a no brainer to me that Sezer is our halfback, Alby is our 5/8 based on the roles they each play. I know it doesn't really mean much in the modern game, but it just reeks of Carty trying to 'fool' the opposition in the same way Ryan James starting is apparently intended to. But, for all I know Carty and Murphy are expert sports psychologists and have determined that keeping their own players guessing improves their on field performance. James has been awesome, so has Sezer really (all things considered).

Harrison has been pretty good on the edges so would've been fine in 2nd row. Bird's footwork and offload would be gold up the middle around tiring NZ forwards

I have no doubt DT will, like Jamal turn out to be a good buy for us eventually. Greater minds than mine have failed to solve the CoalTrain conundrum, so i certainly don't hope to, but i think it's time to elevate him to the starting side, or drop him completely until he jumps through whatever hoops carty has set for him. At the moment, he is being outperformed by everyone on the bench, and is essentially wasting a spot. I know the popular mantra for players trying to work their way into a starting side is more quality not minutes - but i just think DT is a confidence player. Coming off the bench is not doing him or us any favours.

Dowling has been okay as a defensive center, but Don shows more in attack, I'm not sold on either of them, and thought the competition for those spots would've unearthed far more exciting results by this stage of the season...

With us signing Blair next season I'm curious as to what that means for Takairangi. He hasn't been great the last couple of games, but i still think he has potential and would hate to see him goooone.

I agree with a lot of your post. Especially the Dave Taylor part. Cartwright is so blind to see what actually having faith in blokes and starting them does to their confidence.. Case and point Ryan James.. Gives him
No time on the field, and when he did put james on it was 10 minutes before half time EVERY GAME and then pulled him off 10 minutes after. and then he cant figure out why he isn't going any good. Then he starts one game and gives him time look what happens. Having Dave sitting there angry at himself for not starting is just a waste of time. For god sakes just start the bloke! I'm sure you will be suprised.

EricWright
20-08-13, 05:45 PM
John Cartright is a weak coach, How can someone promise a player who has not proved them self on the nrl field a key position like Fullback?

Zillman is a safe player at the best, he should be considering himself lucky that he is returning from injury to the nrl and not Qcup,

He most certainly does not deserve to be playing at full back, he has had 2 years in that position to prove himself and he has been nothing but boring and far from dangerous.

Mead has been giving 2 games and has exceeded expectations by far.
He is perfect for the type of play that Sezer and Kelly bring to the team.
Mead has more hunger on the field and it shows through his efforts.

MEAD -Fullback #1

Zillman- Wing #5

Hail Sezer
20-08-13, 05:50 PM
John Cartright is a weak coach, How can someone promise a player who has not proved them self on the nrl field a key position like Fullback?

Zillman is a safe player at the best, he should be considering himself lucky that he is returning from injury to the nrl and not Qcup,

He most certainly does not deserve to be playing at full back, he has had 2 years in that position to prove himself and he has been nothing but boring and far from dangerous.

Mead has been giving 2 games and has exceeded expectations by far.
He is perfect for the type of play that Sezer and Kelly bring to the team.
Mead has more hunger on the field and it shows through his efforts.

MEAD -Fullback #1

Zillman- Wing #5

Strong first post. Welcome to the forum man.

You'll fit right in with that opinion regarding Zilly Slater. Any other coach would have left Mead there. Ridiculous really.

C-Whiz
20-08-13, 06:24 PM
Strong first post. Welcome to the forum man.Haha, yep, can't wait for Eric to settle in and tell us how he really feels. :thumbsup:

kickit2gordon, good post too mate. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Toads
20-08-13, 06:26 PM
I wonder what the Bookies will be paying that Friendy will have that trademark grin on his face after the 80minutes, this weekend..

C-Whiz
20-08-13, 06:40 PM

Yep, don't see the benefit of removing the best chance at scoring points.

I have no doubt DT will, like Jamal turn out to be a good buy for us eventually. Greater minds than mine have failed to solve the CoalTrain conundrum, I made a post in the DT player discussion, regarding this.

but i think it's time to elevate him to the starting side, or drop him completely until he jumps through whatever hoops carty has set for him. At the moment, he is being outperformed by everyone on the bench, and is essentially wasting a spot. I know the popular mantra for players trying to work their way into a starting side is more quality not minutes - but i just think DT is a confidence player. Coming off the bench is not doing him or us any favours.I think the reason Carty does this is he wants to see which way the game is heading before giving DT his orders. I get the feeling DT cannot be trusted with sticking to a game plan, and I would say this is why Carty is reluctant to start him. Either that or he just gets too excited out of the blocks and Carty wants the rest of the team to settle. Either way, i think it's a maturity/discipline/attitude problem. DT player discussion thread.

Having Dave sitting there angry at himself for not starting is just a waste of time. I'm pretty sure an angry Coaltrain is a handy asset, but i think it's more frustration or just a complete lack of self discipline that is cruelling his game. You saw a perfect example (see it a lot actually) where he does something stupid and backs it up by giving away a penalty. Doesn't help anyone except the opposition. :doh:

K2G
20-08-13, 08:24 PM
I think the reason Carty does this is he wants to see which way the game is heading before giving DT his orders. I get the feeling DT cannot be trusted with sticking to a game plan, and I would say this is why Carty is reluctant to start him. Either that or he just gets too excited out of the blocks and Carty wants the rest of the team to settle. Either way, i think it's a maturity/discipline/attitude problem. DT player discussion thread.

I agree that this is probably what Carty is thinking/doing. My point is that its not working. I think the best coaches are the ones who find a middle ground between molding a gameplan around their players, and coaching players to stick to gameplans. You can't put a square peg in a round hole.

DT is probably never going to be an error-less defensive workhorse, hit-up machine. He is actually a pretty good defender and reader of the game - but he gets lazy and makes sloppy mistakes. That said, telling him to get the errors out of his game, play simple and run straight is a sad waste of rare talent.

We've probably all got an opinion on how the team might improve their attack - but bringing DT into the game is surely one we can all agree on. Plays should be constructed around his strengths; A guy that big who can not only drag players with him, but also pass, step, offload, and dribble a ball behind the line at speed, should be a threat everytime he runs it. He could play a very similar role to Glenn Stewart - where defenders are constantly guessing as to which option he will take. He should be running good angles, with offload options in support close to the line. He should be given space to create linebreaks and defensive mis-reads.

Using him to take hit-ups out of our 20 and 30, or charge at the try line from 5 out (our teams pet play) for 30 minutes of a game is stupid for so many reasons. His pay packet alone is a good one. But with the limited minutes, opposition teams are perfectly aware of the role he is coming on to play; Run straight and hard and over the top of blokes. With more minutes, he has the ability to work the opposition over. Make them aware of his options, and that he is willing to use them - and create some doubt in defensive teams. Atleast this way he has a chance to make up for his errors with the brilliance we know he can produce > the likes of which we have seen very little of this year (probably his worst season since debuting tbh). Confidence player's need to know its okay to make mistakes, to take risks, and to recognise moments when instincts trump gamplans, all of which comes from faith from team-mates and coaching staff. For many, this faith / trust / confidence (whatever you want to call it) can often reduce error counts as much as endless ball work and video sessions do, as any sports psychologist worth a damn would tell you.

I guess i just really want to see him realise his potential as a titan, rather than be another guy who comes to the coast, only to be mismanaged into another code or nrl team ... and then succeed there.

C-Whiz
21-08-13, 07:37 AM
You can't put a square peg in a round hole.Agreed, but you never know what shape DT is going to turn up in on match day.

You should copy all your post and whack it in the DT discussion thread. We can continue the conversation there. Hopefully we will both be proven wrong next year. :)

TITAN PETE
22-08-13, 02:34 AM
More pain for Zillman and Titans
Travis Meyn | 12:01am August 22, 2013

WILLIAM Zillman is staring at another stint on the sidelines while the Titans are preparing to save their season without inspirational co-captain Greg Bird.

Zillman and Bird were notable omissions from training last night as coach John Cartwright tried to piece together an injury-riddled team for Saturday's crucial clash against the Warriors at Skilled Park.

Zillman aggravated a groin injury in his return from a six-week layoff against the Cowboys on Saturday night and is at long odds to face the Warriors.

Bird, who watched last night's session at Cudgen, is struggling with a bulging disc in his back that caused severe spasms at the weekend.

Bird will be given every opportunity to prove his fitness for the Warriors game but he is recovering more slowly than hoped while Zillman will need to run at tomorrow's final session to be selected.

The double blow is savage luck for the Titans who face a daunting final three rounds of the season as they attempt to hang on to a place in the top eight.

Compounding the injuries to Bird and Zillman is the fact in-form winger Kevin Gordon has been put on ice with a minor calf strain.

Gordon, who has scored four tries in his past two games, missed last night's opposed session against the club's under-20s team and will face a fitness test tomorrow.

David Mead ran at fullback in place of Zillman last night and looks set to start at custodian for the third time this season with Anthony Don returning to the wing.

Mead's two-match cameo in place of Zillman recently resulted in six line breaks for two tries with the Titans winning both games.

Prop Mark Ioane will earn an NRL recall if Bird is ruled out, moving to the bench for his first game in a month after a knee injury.

Ben Ridge will start in the back-row in place of Bird while halfback Albert Kelly moved freely last night and should return to the team after three weeks out with a sternum injury.

The Titans must win at least two of their final three matches with the Warriors game crucial before they face the rampant Roosters and Storm away to finish the season.

The Warriors have won the past five encounters between the two and back-rower Mark Minichiello said the Titans had to be prepared for a fired-up New Zealand outfit desperate to keep their finals hopes alive.

Likely Titans team: David Mead, Kevin Gordon, Jamie Dowling, Brad Takairangi, Anthony Don, Aidan Sezer, Albert Kelly, Ryan James, Beau Falloon, Nate Myles, Ben Ridge, Mark Minichiello, Ashley Harrison. Interchange: Dave Taylor, Luke Douglas, Mark Ioane, Matt Srama.

teke
22-08-13, 03:49 AM
Oh that's terrible news

C-Whiz
22-08-13, 07:45 AM
Oh that's terrible newsYeah, bit of a shame Meady won't be able to run off Birdy though.

gotitans101_
22-08-13, 04:00 PM
Bird is a big loss.

Geeman
22-08-13, 04:09 PM
Oh crap :(
Hopefully Flash is good to go, Bird will be a massive loss.

Titan Dad
22-08-13, 04:09 PM
We need this game... Warriors will eat us this week. 15+

This is the game that we should not have to rely on. Unfortunately we find ourselves in a precarious position of facing a side that would appear a lot hungrier than us at the moment.

In saying this I hope Meady has a cracker and I feel this guy if he has a blinder could change our fortune iin this game.

C-Whiz
22-08-13, 05:23 PM
In saying this I hope Meady has a cracker and I feel this guy if he has a blinder could change our fortune iin this game.Warriors, perfect for Meady to carve them up. And Alby is back. Flash in fine finishing form. This will be like tag-team try scoring.:banana:
At least we know we have points in this team now. Lots of points! Because now we don't need to rely on "5 and a bomb".
There will be some sizzle in the middle, fo' shizzle!
Forget the defensive game, play an attacking game. We can outscore the Warriors. :thumbsup:

TITAN PETE
23-08-13, 05:10 AM
Idris urges fans to get to game
Travis Meyn | 12:01am August 23, 2013

JAMAL Idris has issued an impassioned plea to Gold Coast sporting fans to fill Skilled Park for the Titans' ''must win'' clash against the Warriors.

The injured centre who could be rushed back for the final round of the season yesterday called for a bumper crowd at tomorrow's final home game to help lift the Titans.

A win is crucial for the Gold Coast's finals hopes because they face heavyweights Sydney and Melbourne in the final two rounds.

And Idris said a packed Skilled Park would go a long way to delivering the Titans a finals berth for the first time since 2010.

''You run off the energy of the crowd, especially if it's a home game. You want as many people down there as you can,'' he said.

''We're a big chance of getting into the finals. We're in the top eight and want to stay there.''

''We've got Warriors and after that Roosters and Storm so this is pretty much a game we need to win.

''There's nothing better than being on the opposition's line, you've got the ball and the crowd is up cheering. It gives you that little bit of extra effort to get through their line.

''Even when they're screaming out 'de-fence' when you're defending your line for five straight sets.

''Bring your family, bring your kids.''

Ridiculous scheduling by the NRL means the game will kick off at the same time as the second Bledisloe Cup match in Wellington, robbing the Titans of thousands of New Zealand supporters. The Warriors usually attract a crowd of about 20,000 but a much smaller attendance is forecast because of the NRL's oversight.

''It's the Gold Coast. There's plenty of Maori and New Zealanders here and they'll be coming,'' Idris said. ''It's pretty much a home game for them.

''The more the merrier. There's going to be a going away for Chalky (retiring utility Luke O'Dwyer) and it's (Mark) Minichiello's 150th game. I implore everyone to get down.''

Idris had screws removed from his ankle last week and hit the training paddock for the first time on Wednesday as he continues his recovery from a broken leg.

He is two weeks ahead of schedule in his recovery and said he would risk further injury to deliver the Titans a finals date if they aren't assured one going into the final round game against the Storm in Melbourne.

''What I'm thinking is the Melbourne game. It's a little earlier (than expected),'' he said.

''If we're assured (of making the finals) I'll wait until then but if not I'd be looking to come back for that.

''It's going to be a bit swollen for a couple of years because of all the metal in it. I'm not worried about it at all. If it (re-injure) happens it happens.''

''The bone's healed and the syndesmosis is looking outstanding. The doctor was shocked with how well it's come along.''

The Titans, who have a family fun day planned at Skilled Park tomorrow, will finalise their preparations today and are sweating on the fitness of co-captain Greg Bird(back) and fullback William Zillman (groin).

Titanic
23-08-13, 09:13 AM
Ridiculous scheduling by the NRL means the game will kick off at the same time as the second Bledisloe Cup match in Wellington, robbing the Titans of thousands of New Zealand supporters.
Ridiculous comment. Wellington is at least an inch away from the Coast on any map ... Warriors fans are Warriors fans because they are rugby league fans.

''It's the Gold Coast. There's plenty of Maori and New Zealanders here and they'll be coming,'' Idris said.
I thought Maoris are New Zealanders.

Hail Sezer
23-08-13, 09:59 AM
Lol Jamal. You can't be Maori and not have descended from New Zealand.

lonegull
23-08-13, 12:40 PM
Bird and Zillman out, MICHEALS to bench :fist:

DIEHARD
23-08-13, 03:23 PM
Im pretty sure this type of clash has happened before with us and Warriors games and the Bledisloe.

Hoping for a win this weekend!

Boofhead
23-08-13, 03:41 PM
Bird and Zillman out, MICHEALS to bench :fist:

Get the **** out.

The bloke has completely lost his marbles.

Hail Sezer
23-08-13, 03:52 PM
lmfao Michaels to bench. Is this real life, or is this just a fanta sea. I don't even.

What.

TITAN PETE
23-08-13, 04:46 PM
Get the **** out.

The bloke has completely lost his marbles.

Surely a loss in this match will see what has happened in Canberra all over again, Furner was sacked by his own brother :ugh:, maybe there's another goat video somewhere ..

thelwall
23-08-13, 06:21 PM
maybe tackaa will move to the 2nd row at some stage

Titanic
23-08-13, 08:00 PM
Well fmd, just when you think you've seen it all Stevie Michaels bobs up again.

shamus
23-08-13, 09:46 PM
We win this and we can lose our next two and make it on for and against (Warriors)...that is my 1st prediction. My 2nd prediction is we are gone after the first semi.

But as I have been saying since the end of 2007. There is always next year. :nope:

Hail Sezer
24-08-13, 09:33 AM
Lol. this is from the titans fb page.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1238159_10151801706679593_234711723_n.jpg

Hail Sezer
24-08-13, 09:35 AM
I WILL AVENGE THIS ATTACK ON MY COUNTRY

Titanic
24-08-13, 10:04 AM
as you should HS, it's outrageous that such a sanctimonious bunch of prudes as those that habitat the Titans Facebook would allow such a relic from 60's when they don't even allow an opinion contrary to their head in the sand own.

Toads
24-08-13, 03:40 PM
I wish the Lads well today, mainly so it'll spur them along for next year. But I tend to think shamus summed it up for the rest of the season for us.

If anything, Mini tends to fire up for us when our backs are to the wall like it is at the moment, 'n if Bails makes it to the paddock today he'll give it his all. :)

Birdman
24-08-13, 03:42 PM
U20 titans down 16-0, 25mins in.

Birdman
24-08-13, 04:12 PM
Elgey scores for the Titans. 16-6, 42mins

Birdman
24-08-13, 04:28 PM
Warriors 26-6. 59mins

mdrew
24-08-13, 04:28 PM
Here comes the avalanche of points we seem to give up each week

Birdman
24-08-13, 04:34 PM
Elgey crosses over again. 26-12 Warriors. 64mins

mdrew
24-08-13, 04:42 PM
Another absolute belting in NYC, we have a great catchment area but three years of this! The junior development staff still have their jobs year after year, yet another jobs for the boys situation! Well done Searle and co

Birdman
24-08-13, 04:51 PM
I didnt bother after thier 6th try, how pathetic. Yet another pathetic performance

Bayside Titan
24-08-13, 04:55 PM
Good crowd here. Hope we compete well.

Bayside Titan
24-08-13, 04:56 PM
Hey Titan Pete. You here today? What about anyone else?

Birdman
24-08-13, 04:57 PM
Was gonna say whats the crowd like, as the titans and co have been pumping this game up all week.

Hail Sezer
24-08-13, 05:00 PM
Come on Titans/All Blacks win tonight!!

Boonarga
24-08-13, 05:04 PM
Yep, plenty here already. Mostly wearing black. Not sure if they are Warriors fans or Titans fans in mourning for our season.

Jamal's Hamstring
24-08-13, 05:19 PM
Hopefully in black to mourn the death of Carty's coaching career.

Hail Sezer
24-08-13, 05:21 PM
Hopefully in black to mourn the death of Carty's coaching career.

lol'd

Titanic
24-08-13, 05:22 PM
spoilers allowed ... anybody else tune out

gotitans101_
24-08-13, 05:29 PM
This game really worries me, especially without Bird in the side. Not sure if we'll be able to match it with the big Warriors pack tbh.

Bayside Titan
24-08-13, 05:29 PM
Zilly not playing. Mead for speed at fullback.

gotitans101_
24-08-13, 05:38 PM
Gordon you beauty!

Blade07
24-08-13, 05:40 PM
Here we go!!!

Jamal's Hamstring
24-08-13, 05:41 PM
Am I the only one thinking that looked forward? Either way, we will take it!

titanfan1980
24-08-13, 05:50 PM
Damn!! Well that's what happens through injurys when we have back rowers playing centre come on boys fire up!!

titanfan1980
24-08-13, 05:51 PM
That's extremely poor discipline from ridge there.

Julius Sezer
24-08-13, 05:59 PM
James you beauty! Wat a pass from Mead

K2G
24-08-13, 05:59 PM
Geez we look better with a decent fullback

Stalks
24-08-13, 06:00 PM
Damn, double for James!

Jamal's Hamstring
24-08-13, 06:01 PM
Haha. A dodgy double for James.

titanfan1980
24-08-13, 06:08 PM
Geez that last penalty was a bad call he didn't even get to his feet to play it.

Stalks
24-08-13, 06:09 PM
Not watching on TV - are these penalties against us warranted or brought to us by Specsavers??

Jamal's Hamstring
24-08-13, 06:10 PM
After watching a season of NRL officiating I just dont know anymore.

titanfan1980
24-08-13, 06:12 PM
There pretty 50-50

titanfan1980
24-08-13, 06:16 PM
Sucked in manu!!! Haha butter fingers!

Titanic
24-08-13, 06:18 PM
sh!t kick ... penalties warranted imho ... but with Mead at fb we look much better.

Titanic
24-08-13, 06:21 PM
we couldn't afford that ... poor read by Gordon

titanfan1980
24-08-13, 06:21 PM
I'm starting to think sezer reads defense poor, not tackles he try's his ass off but his reads seem wrong?

titanfan1980
24-08-13, 06:22 PM
we couldn't afford that ... poor read by Gordon

Yeah bad by kevy.. But our half and centre just let Johnson run.

CoastSportsFan
24-08-13, 06:25 PM
How is the crowd looking guys? Affected by the Bledisloe?

Boofhead
24-08-13, 06:28 PM
We are going to run out of puff in the last 20 with only a 2 man bench. Great game so far, keep it up boys.

Julius Sezer
24-08-13, 06:31 PM
Mead should be our #1 fullback. We look so much better because he gets involved and is always sniffing around the ball and uses his speed effectively whereas Zillman is the last person to want the ball.

Stalks
24-08-13, 06:33 PM
Hope Mini is OK

gotitans101_
24-08-13, 06:38 PM
We NEED to capitalize here.

edit: FFS.

Toads
24-08-13, 06:40 PM
Bloody hell, the injury toll..

Toads
24-08-13, 06:41 PM
Wow, what was Meady thinking?

Stalks
24-08-13, 06:41 PM
FFS - so damned sloppy!

Boofhead
24-08-13, 06:42 PM
Michaels hey.

titanfan1980
24-08-13, 06:42 PM
What the hell was that!!!!! Kick it out on the full then that! Come boys fire up!!

Stalks
24-08-13, 06:43 PM
Another dodgy game from Sezer...not much magic from Kelly either...

gotitans101_
24-08-13, 06:46 PM
Why are we bombing it straight to Locke every time?

Boonarga
24-08-13, 06:47 PM
That attempted tackle by Taylor is probably the worst, most gutless, I have seen in 50 years. Get him off.

Toads
24-08-13, 06:48 PM
and replace him with who? The bench is busted up. :(

titanfan1980
24-08-13, 06:49 PM
Kick it sezer??????? Don't pass it to a front rower!!

Boofhead
24-08-13, 06:51 PM
Looking ominous here. Need some Kelly magic to open up this game.

Boofhead
24-08-13, 06:53 PM
Thank god for Manu.

Boofhead
24-08-13, 06:53 PM
Never mind.

gotitans101_
24-08-13, 06:54 PM
Bull**** penalty, wasn't even intentional, he got knocked into him by another Warriors player.

Stalks
24-08-13, 06:54 PM
Never mind.

Epic facepalm...

Jamal's Hamstring
24-08-13, 06:57 PM
Well it is at least the entertaining game we expected. Neither has any place in the finals though.

Boofhead
24-08-13, 06:59 PM
Goodbye 2013, chuck 2014 in there too.

titanfan1980
24-08-13, 06:59 PM
F**k F**k F**k tackle please come on boys don't give up!

Jamal's Hamstring
24-08-13, 07:00 PM
Lets go boys. Time to show some ticker. Busted bench and all.

Stalks
24-08-13, 07:00 PM
Pathetic, just pathetic...

Toads
24-08-13, 07:01 PM
Yup, only chance of us going over again is if Kelly creates a miracle. Expecting our defense to crumble from here. Lately Gordon is dead on his feet from here on end.. :(

titanfan1980
24-08-13, 07:02 PM
Sezer get off your playing shocking

DavidBouveng
24-08-13, 07:03 PM
I'm gonna talk in mostly positives here.

We are struggling with injuries and therefore fitness, but our effort and desire seems really good for the most part.

Doweling is doing a really good job on a much bigger opponent.

Some of sezers kicking has been really good. Some.

Mead is a really good fullback for someone who hasn't payed a lot of games there.

Gordon has been close to our best player the second half of the season, and its genuine talent not just speed that he is displaying. Go son.

James is looking like he means business again, but could have been penalised 20 times. Stop it mate, you are good enough that you don't need to do it.

No point harping on negatives, just hope to enjoy last two games and have us compete.

Hail Sezer
24-08-13, 07:03 PM
lol Michaels is so gumby

gotitans101_
24-08-13, 07:05 PM
**** off Michaels. What kind of tackle attempt on Johnson was that?

titanfan1980
24-08-13, 07:07 PM
They don't even look like they wanna be there. Get angry boys

Jamal's Hamstring
24-08-13, 07:09 PM
So....

.... How many days left on Carty's contract?

Boofhead
24-08-13, 07:09 PM
Carty must of told them they won at half time.

Toads
24-08-13, 07:11 PM
Gotta hand it to the Lads, they haven't thrown in the towel..

They're not going forward, but still battling away defensively.

Stalks
why is Michaels even in the side?

gotitans101_
Taylor is useless. Another player who comes this club and doesn't improve.

Boofhead
24-08-13, 07:12 PM
Gotta hand it to the Lads, they haven't thrown in the towel..

Disagree. They wouldn't even pack the scrum.

Toads
24-08-13, 07:14 PM
Disagree. They wouldn't even pack the scrum.

Disagree, seen James 'n Taylor get in there. :D

Jamal's Hamstring
24-08-13, 07:14 PM
Taylor is useless. Another player who comes this club and doesn't improve.

I think you mean comes to the club and goes backwards.

Stalks
24-08-13, 07:16 PM
is Don, is good

Toads
24-08-13, 07:17 PM
C'mon fella's. I'm usually the negative **** around here. Kelly in for a quick one. ;)

gotitans101_
24-08-13, 07:17 PM
Disagree, seen James 'n Taylor get in there. :D

Taylor has too many errors in his game and it's costing us.

Boofhead
24-08-13, 07:18 PM
I still do believe in Miracles though, go boys!

Toads
24-08-13, 07:19 PM
Taylor has too many errors in his game and it's costing us.

Umm, I was commenting about being in there in the scrum. Geez, no shortage of ball-busters tonight. :ugh:

DavidBouveng
24-08-13, 07:22 PM
Actually I didn't wanna go negative, but after losing this our record in second half of the season is 3 from 11 plus a bye. That's really poor.

Hail Sezer
24-08-13, 07:23 PM
Good effort kevvy. So close.

Julius Sezer
24-08-13, 07:24 PM
im heartbroken. Wat a way to lose

teke
24-08-13, 07:24 PM
Dayummmmmm

Toads
24-08-13, 07:25 PM
Ahh well.. We'll demolish the Storm at AAMI Park in a couple of weeks.

Surely?

Boofhead
24-08-13, 07:25 PM
That hurts...

DavidBouveng
24-08-13, 07:26 PM
Also, Taylor has def not improved this year, but he was strong tonight and its the teams fault for not using him correctly.

Use him as another centre or wide runner, not the hack work in the middle.

Hail Sezer
24-08-13, 07:26 PM
Guys this sucks but lets look at the positives to have come from tonight..

All Blacks won.

Tamwelg
24-08-13, 07:27 PM
Good effort. How about a penalty for leading with the foot in the Gordon no try.

titanfan1980
I wish we had an awesome goal kicker.. One missed goal is a harsh loss.. I'm boy saying that's what cost us but it would be nice to have got that goal.

Titanic
now we'll hear all the "mathematical" claptrap from our soon to be ex-coach ... Myles is a shadow of the bloke from last year imho ... I thought Taylor had a crack, he's just not worth big bucks ... but having Harrison, Ridge and Myles who refuse to off-laod reduces us to pathetic in attack.

titanfan1980
And does any one else agree Nate has an extremely slow play the ball

teke
24-08-13, 07:28 PM
And does any one else agree Nate has an extremely slow play the ballthat was a fact 5 yrs ago :)

mdrew
24-08-13, 07:29 PM
Exciting finish, but shocking second half, back to the lack of idea's. Lol now we will get the dribble about our season not being over etc etc

Toads
24-08-13, 07:30 PM
Good effort. How about a penalty for leading with the foot in the Gordon no try.

Indeed, compared to other games that the Lads have played this year with no ticker at all. Least they were there for the whole 80 minutes for a change. It was just a ****ed way to lose..

CoastSportsFan
24-08-13, 07:31 PM
Anyone know the crowd figure tonight?

Hail Sezer
24-08-13, 07:32 PM

Titans twitter posted it as 15,786

DavidBouveng
24-08-13, 07:33 PM
I wish we had an awesome goal kicker.. One missed goal is a harsh loss.. I'm boy saying that's what cost us but it would be nice to have got that goal.

85% is reasonably awesome. Everyone misses now and then and his kicking has won us games this year where we scored less tries than opposition.

Toads
24-08-13, 07:34 PM

We do have one in Sezer. It's pretty rare he misses one. On another note, at about the 10-15th minute, I don't know why we didn't go for the 2 points off the penalty when we were awarded it 30 metres out, in front of the black. They opted to play the set instead. :(

I don't get that one..

mdrew
24-08-13, 07:35 PM
What lost us the game was a poor effort to stop Hurrell by Sezer and Taylor, embarassing

DavidBouveng

So we can safely say there was about 11k?

Jamal's Hamstring
85% is reasonably awesome. Everyone misses now and then and his kicking has won us games this year where we scored less tries than opposition.

I agree. Sezer is a good kicker.

Hail Sezer
24-08-13, 07:37 PM

We can safely say it was 786.

DavidBouveng
24-08-13, 07:40 PM
now we'll hear all the "mathematical" claptrap from our soon to be ex-coach ... Myles is a shadow of the bloke from last year imho ... I thought Taylor had a crack, he's just not worth big bucks ... but having Harrison, Ridge and Myles who refuse to off-laod reduces us to pathetic in attack.

Agree with all of this. We are 3 from last 11 games, and lost to 12th and 13th placed cows and warriors in last two weeks...but we are mathematically a chance at beating the storm and roosters and making finals? Per lease.

Myles is like my earlier Taylor remark, just does hack work, he needs to offer more. We just don't look lke we are about to offer much so the defence can just retreat and re set.

Did love the effort for most part tonight and doweling is fitting in nicely. Mead and Gordon and James, three of our juniors, were our best and that's enough to keep me happy for now, cos the expectation of finals died a while ago for me.

Geeman
24-08-13, 07:40 PM
I thought the boys put in a good effort given the 2 man bench for half a game, Taylor put in the effort he should, and it was nice to see a couple of different attacking plays in this game, not just the "5 and bomb" we are used to. Shame its taken till the 2nd to last game to try them... Great game from James, and generally just good to see them trying till the full time siren.

DavidBouveng
24-08-13, 07:41 PM
I agree. Sezer is a good kicker.

You would say that , having his image as your avatar.

Titanic Believer
24-08-13, 07:41 PM
Didn't hold much hope for this game but I felt the boys put in a gutsy performance. I agree with some comments about some individuals but we have to admit despite some big names in the side they all have some big limitations to overcome before we will ever be a top four quality team. We are only in the position we are now because all other teams below the top four are mediocre. Great attempt by Gordon at the end. Centimetres short of a win but only delaying the inevitable ie thinking about 2014.

Jamal's Hamstring
24-08-13, 07:42 PM
I still dont really like James. Still too undisciplined, still too much the wanna be bully.

Jamal's Hamstring
24-08-13, 07:43 PM
You would say that , having his image as your avatar.

Yup. As soon as I saw his pic, I knew he would be special. Thankfully not injury prone.

Boonarga
24-08-13, 07:47 PM
Also, Taylor has def not improved this year, but he was strong tonight and its the teams fault for not using him correctly.

Use him as another centre or wide runner, not the hack work in the middle.

Taylor was strong? What the hell game were you watching?

DavidBouveng
24-08-13, 07:53 PM
Taylor was strong? What the hell game were you watching?

The one where he made 17 hit ups for 143m, second most in our team, and 4th most on the park, as well as 4 tackle breaks.

He made 2 errors and one poor defensive effort on hurrell.

He was strong. I didn't say amazing or even good / great. Strong.

Hail Sezer
24-08-13, 07:53 PM
The one where he made 17 hit ups for 143m, second most in our team, and 4th most on the park, as well as 4 tackle breaks.

Booooooom the man has spoken.

gotitans101_
24-08-13, 07:54 PM
Strong or not, every one of those errors cost us. Can't be making dumb mistakes like that at this point of the season. Such a frustrating player to watch. Every time he takes a hit up you just pray he doesn't drop it.

Toads
24-08-13, 07:55 PM
Guys this sucks but lets look at the positives to have come from tonight..

All Blacks won.

Give it time.. Ewen McKenzie has got to rebuild the Wallabies from the cluster**** that Robbie Deans created.

Surely you can relate to that with our current Coach? :p

Ahh well. . Congrats on wrapping up the Bledisloe for another year though, Mate. :)

Hail Sezer
24-08-13, 07:59 PM
Give it time.. Ewen McKenzie has got to rebuild the Wallabies from the cluster**** that Robbie Deans created.

Surely you can relate to that with our current Coach? :p

Ahh well. . Congrats on wrapping up the Bledisloe for another though, Mate. :)

Mate I can't even imagine having a helmet coaching both my league/union teams.

Could hear the roar going up from the All Blacks game from my flat, the stadium is just down the road. Seems everyone got very excited when Folau scored haha.

Cheers man. I see the Wallabies going upward from here. Deans was a sham. I want to see the competitive Wallabies I always got nervous about the All Blacks playing when I was a kid.

DavidBouveng
24-08-13, 08:03 PM
Strong or not, every one of those errors cost us. Can't be making dumb mistakes like that at this point of the season. Such a frustrating player to watch. Every time he takes a hit up you just pray he doesn't drop it.

You guys are crazy.

2 errors and one was in last few minutes trying to create something, which is unlike most of the ppl in the team who just tuck it and run.

If he does the same then we have zero offload potential. Bird man makes way more errors when he's playing.

Not saying you in particular gotitans, but as a forum we complain that we are boring as a team, then complain about a guy making 2 errors trying to create a much needed try.

teke
24-08-13, 08:03 PM
Bird was such a massive loss to us dammit.

I really enjoyed that game and didnt mind that we lost a hard fought exciting game.

Kelly was a lil out of sorts in attack but that was to be expected, my family who are anit Titans really liked tonights game which is a plus

Geeman
24-08-13, 08:19 PM
I'm with you DB, at least he was trying something, I was a bit disappointed with Myles again tonight, he really needed to step up with Birdy out, but just played his usual game.

titanfan1980
24-08-13, 08:47 PM
I still dont really like James. Still too undisciplined, still too much the wanna be bully.

19 run (most on the field) for 143m (only 2nd to mead), 3 tackle breaks, 32 tackles, 1 Line break and ONE PENALTY! His first penalty in 4 weeks. Haha yeah I hate him to let's get rid of him so we can get Totally dominated in the forwards. Aww yeah I forgot he scored 2 try's Aswell.. Yep.. I hate that kids effort in the last couple of weeks..

Toads
24-08-13, 08:51 PM
Dude, read what you quoted 'n then explain how stats come into it, that JH stated? :laugh:

teke
24-08-13, 09:00 PM
Feel for mini aye, he didn't deserve to finish the game like that.

Mexican titan
24-08-13, 09:22 PM

Agree with you DB. The other post where someone said Taylor is being used the wrong way is spot on. He should do a few hit ups but generally he is an attacking forward but Cartwright wouldn't know what one of them is.
A few patches of good attack tonight but for about 50 minutes we were back to the boring 5 hit up s and then our kicks were mostly absolutely horrible. Every bomb that Shaun Johnston put up was contested but ours were useless.
That try on half time was a killer. The mistake was poor enough but if Gordon had stayed on his wing he only would have to breath on the bloke and he would have gone out. Gordon was caught out of position many times again yet in attack he is obviously one of our best and he nearly stole it for us.

Boonarga
24-08-13, 09:33 PM
Taylor ran hard only twice. Both times when within sight of the line. Lazy.
As for that attempted "tackle", weak as piss.

Mexican titan
24-08-13, 10:28 PM
This from nrl.com
"In what could be a crucial result for the Titans' finals hope, coach John Cartwright didn't hold back with his thoughts about the lack of a decision from the officials.

"It's blatantly obvious," Cartwright told reporters.

"They've made a rod for their own backs with the subjective penalties they give.

"That's there for everyone to see. The blatant sliding in with the legs while the guy's going in for the try is a penalty. It's not only a penalty - it goes on report.

"It's hard to put into words what I'm feeling, to be honest."

Talk about clutching at straws. Not one person around me atthe game mentioned it. If Cartwright wants to use that as a reason we lost, he must be kidding. What about the Sezer/Taylor attempt on Hurell, what about the useless 5th tackle kicks etc etc.

titanfan1980
24-08-13, 10:45 PM
This from nrl.com
"In what could be a crucial result for the Titans' finals hope, coach John Cartwright didn't hold back with his thoughts about the lack of a decision from the officials.

"It's blatantly obvious," Cartwright told reporters.

"They've made a rod for their own backs with the subjective penalties they give.

"That's there for everyone to see. The blatant sliding in with the legs while the guy's going in for the try is a penalty. It's not only a penalty - it goes on report.

"It's hard to put into words what I'm feeling, to be honest."

Talk about clutching at straws. Not one person around me atthe game mentioned it. If Cartwright wants to use that as a reason we lost, he must be kidding. What about the Sezer/Taylor attempt on Hurell, what about the useless 5th tackle kicks etc etc.

I actually thought it was a penalty. If you look closely his foot makes contact with the head. It should of been a penalty cause I've seen slater get penalized for it. But your 100% right. We shouldn't be whining about a last ditch effort like that solely lost us the game, that's not what cost us

titanfan1980
24-08-13, 10:49 PM
Dude, read what you quoted 'n then explain how stats come into it, that JH stated? :laugh:

I was trying to explain this his "bully" attitude is turning out good performances in the last month through the use of stats.

shamus
24-08-13, 11:03 PM

Yep, + 1 :thumbsup:

We can safely say it was 786.

Yep, + 1 :thumbsup: 786 Titans and 15,000 Warriors... :?)

K2G
24-08-13, 11:30 PM
I was trying to explain this his "bully" attitude is turning out good performances in the last month through the use of stats.

I agree with your sentiments completely dude. I've always liked James's aggression. With the Bull injured, the Bully has stepped right up. We need more ppl in the team to show the effort and attitude he has displayed early in the year, and since returning from Qcup imo (maybe Carty should show some guts and drop a few more under-performers to the lower grades).

It was a typically frustrating titans performance to spectate tonight. Sad to see our finals hopes all but gone, but i can't help but love the bastards. Gotta give a special mention to KG. He has been great the last couple of games and again tonight. Yeah, the missed tackle on Ropati sucked, but it was a freak play by Locke.

Great to see Alby back. He was quiet, but looked dangerous at times. Just having another legitimate kicking/running option improves our attack exponentially, as does having a real fullback. Can't imagine what help a real coach would be.

On that note ... Michaels on the bench ... why? :fist:

Toads
25-08-13, 07:15 AM

Maybe, but it's about time he did turn it around because he does have a history of being a goose like JH mentioned. For what it's worth, I also though RJ did alright last night as well, hopefully he has turned the corner.

C-Whiz
25-08-13, 11:18 AM
I was at the game last night, best effort I can remember for a long time.

I am happy to support the Titans as a paid-up member, and can take a loss, when I get a thoroughly entertaining match like I did last night. Thanks to all the guys who put in 80 minutes of gutsy football. :salute:

Firstly, Ryan James was OUTSTANDING!!! It would be easier to count how many tackles he wasn't involved in than how many he was. He stepped up last night. He was MOM for mine. :thumbsup:

I thought we were good across the park, and just a couple of poor defensive reads and some lazy tackles let us down, which was really disappointing.

Sezer's kicking game is still hot and cold, but I wouldn't take another goal kicker in the NRL over him.

Meady owns the #1 jersey. He and Flash are getting some nice link-ups going, especially off the 20m tap. Throw Alby into the mix (as he comes back into form) and they could turn the best inside out.

I think Taylor was hurt pretty early, I saw him clutching at his chest, think the sternum must be hurting. Again, a rocks and diamonds type of game from him.

So sad for Mini, he was looking great, really up for a big game, and seriously, I don't usually use injuries as an excuse, but with Birdy and Mini in the team last night, I think we would have won by 12, probably more. We needed to get away and break their will, but we just let them back into the game with some simple mistakes.

We looked good and we never gave in. And we were busted. Badly busted. It's games like this that remind me of how good a team we have, how good they can be, and keeps me happy to be a Titans fan. I really enjoyed the game and the atmosphere.

Good work team, I was stoked with the game, and the effort. :thumbsup:

Geeman
25-08-13, 02:38 PM
I actually thought it was a penalty. If you look closely his foot makes contact with the head. It should of been a penalty cause I've seen slater get penalized for it. But your 100% right. We shouldn't be whining about a last ditch effort like that solely lost us the game, that's not what cost us

I thought it warranted a second look at least, like you say, Slater has been penalized for it, and especially given Alby had an 8 point try awarded against him earlier in the season for less dangerous play.

C-Whiz
25-08-13, 03:32 PM

I thought it warranted a second look at least, like you say, Slater has been penalized for it, and especially given Alby had an 8 point try awarded against him earlier in the season for less dangerous play.
Last night I watched the replay on the big screen, saw the ball on the line, and didn't give it another thought. Until today on the Sunday footy show. The panel were looking at it, discussing it, and they all (4 of them) kept saying "but there was no contact", and apparently that was what the video ref decided too.

To me, as I watched them replay it about 4 times, I saw Flash have his arm kicked, which appears in the slow-mo to dislodge his grip on the ball, and then clearly the foot contacts his face. I am not sayng it would have changed anything in the try being awarded, but I think there is a case about a dangerous play etc.

Apart from the game being over and the result is done and dusted, but how can we complain about video refs etc, when a panel of 4 experts watch the same footage as myself, over and over, and they all claim there was no contact when clearly there is? :helpme:

DavidBouveng
25-08-13, 09:28 PM
I was actually pissed that Gordon attempted it and cost us the drop out and another set to have a crack.

I was millimetres from begin very wrong.

thelwall
26-08-13, 12:56 AM
by the time the drop put would of taken place the game would of been over

gctitansoldier
26-08-13, 09:55 AM
Another great move by Carty.
Steve Michaels. Is this just to justify signing him a new contract. Ioane was ready to go.
We lost Mini early and then Harro with a broken hand. Micheals came on with when JD was gone.
All I can say is that our big boys were stuffed. It's lucky we were playing Warriors or the end result could have got ugly.
Must congratulate the boys for going that extra mile.

Toads
26-08-13, 11:32 AM
It's only a long shot.. But Cartwright might've wanted to bring more flair 'n a faster pace game, to run rings around the Warriors bigger pack, and who would've foreseen Mini coming off the paddock after just ten minutes..

I'm not sticking up for Cartwright (may I be struck down by lightening if that ever happens), but all too often when we've had more Forwards on the bench, we play boring football that doesn't produce many points.

We may not have won on Saturday Night. But as a few have mentioned in this thread, at least it was entertaining for a change. With that said though, I still would've preferred to see Ioane on the paddock before Michaels, anyday of the week.

C-Whiz
26-08-13, 04:33 PM
It's only a long shot.. But Cartwright might've wanted to bring more flair 'n a faster pace game, to run rings around the Warriors bigger pack, and who would've foreseen Mini coming off the paddock after just ten minutes..

I'm not sticking up for Cartwright (may I be struck down by lightening if that ever happens), but all too often when we've had more Forwards on the bench, we play boring football that doesn't produce many points.

We may not have won on Saturday Night. But as a few have mentioned in this thread, at least it was entertaining for a change. With that said though, I still would've preferred to see Ioane on the paddock before Michaels, anyday of the week.Good post Toads. :thumbsup:

DavidBouveng
26-08-13, 08:52 PM
It hurts but with other results from the weekend, beating warriors might have been enough to keep 8th spot for good.

We would have gone to 26 points and been in 7th.

We had a better f/a than the chasing teams, so the bunch of teams on 24 points would have needed two wins to get to 28 competition points, as 26 wouldn't have been enough.

Would have meant we needed to not get cooked by the storm or roosters by too much...but the other teams are making it easy for us and we still letting the spot go.

teke
26-08-13, 09:15 PM
Michaels on the bench just another one of managements ....... ...... ......... ........

Titanic
27-08-13, 10:46 AM
The recriminations surrounding this season will be endless ... there were more games this year that we were odds-on to win or even compete in where we just turned it up ... this season has been harder to take than 2011 when we at least could cry "re-building" what are we doing now? "we are not afraid of anybody" is really childish crap, they should be afraid of getting the sack.

Mexican titan
27-08-13, 07:50 PM
The recriminations surrounding this season will be endless ... there were more games this year that we were odds-on to win or even compete in where we just turned it up ... this season has been harder to take than 2011 when we at least could cry "re-building" what are we doing now? "we are not afraid of anybody" is really childish crap, they should be afraid of getting the sack.

Spot on Titanic. Of course we would take a spot in the 8 but as I said on another thread just making the 8 if we had would have represented a massive under achievement for what this team is capable of if they had a coach.
Other than a few highlights, usually against dud teams, this year has been yet another year of 5 hit ups and bomb or kick down the oppositions throat. It might be wrong but I am starting to wonder whether we get more injuries to our forwards than other teams. If this is correct is it because of the attrition game we play through the forwards - which hasn't worked of course. But for many weeks now, except for a few exceptions, our forwards have looked buggered.

Mt Smart
28-08-13, 10:51 PM
Titans played incredibly well considering the Loss of a forward in the first ten , the names missing from the starting roster, the frustratingly underwhelming Dave Taylor.

There was a string of six penalties that kept the Warriors in the contest , it surprised me to see so many given , but when the Reffs are rolling like that teams / players have to react quicker to the reffs subjective pet hates ( say after penalty # 3 ).

There were two blatant forward passes that disadvantaged the Warriors heavily ( I'm not complaining that's how it goes ) more evidence of the poor quality and general inconsistency of our officials.

The Worst decision of the game was Thomas Leuluai not being penalised for leading with the foot ( do these guys even read the rules ) there was no contact with the head ( despite what I've read here in a couple of posts , Thomas missed ) but that's besides the point......it's contrary conduct and would have set up a golden point thriller.

All the best against this weekend , there is so much promise in your squad , MOM Ryan James.