PDA

View Full Version : Titans Nines Team

Pages : [1] 2

Hail Sezer
08-08-13, 02:39 AM
With the tournament looking likely to go ahead over here in February, who from our squad do you think will make our team?

I'm unsure of how they even structure a team in terms of positions for nines, can someone please aware me on how that's done also?

Titanic
08-08-13, 09:22 AM
9's was a Super League abomination (because they couldn't use 7's because of the ARL's Colin Love having IPR over that concept) and therefore not in my frames of reference either now or ever ... if it means no All Stars then it's a travesty.

Toads
08-08-13, 01:57 PM
Pretty well my sentiments about it as well, Titanic. Can't believe All Stars gets shelved for this crap. With actions like this from the ARLC or whoever, just goes to show they've sold their and/or the codes soul, for the mighty dollar.

kioli
08-08-13, 02:57 PM
The All Stars will be back in 2015, only seems to be held up because of the World Cup scheduling.

I think we'll have a strong team for the 9's, will be fun to watch IMO

teke
08-08-13, 03:05 PM
I love the idea, big 1 or 2 day carnival atmosphere that allows fringe exciting players to show what they have.

Titanic
08-08-13, 04:13 PM
I love the idea, big 1 or 2 day carnival atmosphere that allows fringe exciting players to show what they have.
Mate I took three PNG teams to the 7's and it was great for them, as for the NRL sides, it was embarrassing to see the way the lower graders ponced around and the few quality players not giving it a go ... playing it in Auckland will only benefit tv because of the time difference ... nah, not for mine, no matter how starved I am for footy by then.

hammer
08-08-13, 04:18 PM
IMO there should be a Indigenous side in the competition...that would be the best of both worlds result.

Hail Sezer
08-08-13, 04:23 PM
Will do wonders for the sport over here. Ill be going to that and my usual Wellington 7s. If the 9s can come close to replicating the welly 7s atmosphere it will be epic

Hail Sezer
05-09-13, 12:16 PM
Alright so it's booked in.

How do the positions work? I'm guessing there will surely be the inclusion of Alby and Sezer, then some speedmen in Meady and Gordon...maybe some mobile forwards like Birdy and Harro? How do you guys think we will line up?

Coaster
05-09-13, 12:20 PM
Alright so it's booked in.

How do the positions work? I'm guessing there will surely be the inclusion of Alby and Sezer, then some speedmen in Meady and Gordon...maybe some mobile forwards like Birdy and Harro? How do you guys think we will line up?

9 forwards

5 hit ups and Kick

Nick
05-09-13, 12:24 PM
This could be a nice cash boost for the club pre-season. If we have a fit Kelly, Mead, Gordon and possibly Idris we could go very well. I love the idea, I love watching Rugby 7s and league 9s will be so much better!

It will be hard to topple sides like the warriors and panthers though..

Nick
05-09-13, 12:25 PM
9 forwards

5 hit ups and Kick

hahaha gold.

Maybe this can do something for our attack? Carty might need to start thinking differently.

Hail Sezer
05-09-13, 12:39 PM
9 forwards

5 hit ups and Kick

I would expect nothing less

TITAN FAN
05-09-13, 04:18 PM
What positions are played
how many forwards
do they have a hooker
wingers or centres
six and seven

Can some one enlighten me I have no idea

Geeman
05-09-13, 04:21 PM
9 forwards

5 hit ups and Kick

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Steve
05-09-13, 04:46 PM
What positions are played
how many forwards
do they have a hooker
wingers or centres
six and seven

Can some one enlighten me I have no idea

I suspect no one has an idea!

This is from the Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_league_nines

The laws of the game are the same as standard rugby league laws with the following exceptions.
Each team is allowed a squad of up to fifteen players, with no more than nine players on the field at any time. Unlimited substitutions are allowed from a named bench of four players.
The match lasts for 15 minutes, divided into two halves of 7 minutes 30 seconds. There is no half time interval but teams are allowed a maximum of 1 minute to change ends. Each half starts with a place kick.
Scrums consist of no more than 5 forwards, with a maximum 3 in the front row and 2 in the second row. When the ball is in the scrum no more than 4 players from each team shall act as backs. The ball must emerge from behind the feet of the second row.
Conversions after a successful try take the form of drop kicks. Players from the team that has conceded the score do not have to retire behind the try line but must not interfere with any conversion attempt.
When points have been scored the team against which points have been scored will restart the game with a tap restart from the centre of the half-way line.
When a team is awarded a penalty then play must proceed by way of a tap 10-metres in advance of where the infringement took place.

And then the Buderus blue print.

Danny Buderus, an Australian rugby league player (currently playing for NRL team Newcastle Knights) has prepared a blueprint for a new rugby league nines format, with the intention of taking rugby league to a more global market,
Each team would consist of nine on-field players plus five interchange players.
Games would be played in two 20 minute halves.
Scrums would be replaced by turnovers.
Teams would be allowed an unlimited number of interchanges.
A team would surrender possession if the dummy-half is tackled.

So I guess the number of forwards and backs is really up to the team.

I guess it depends which variant.
Squad of 15 vs 14, not a huge difference.

You'd probably not bother with any props, but go for mobile back rowers or defensive centres.
Hooker or half? Depends on your hooker. Someone like Segyaro would tear apart teams with only 9 on the field, but there's a big risk there if they go with the Buderus rule re dummy half.
But you'd probably want a hooker for their tackling ability too. Good tackler, fast, agile, good passing game.

For me, ideal Titans would be something like:

Mead
Gordon
Takairangi
Idris
Don
Sezer
Kelly
James
Srama
Miles
Rankin
Taylor
Zillman
Harrison

You need the speed, but also people who can cover a lot of positions, and I like the idea of a few big men to bust through.
I bet there's a few under 20s who would get a run.

teke
05-09-13, 06:06 PM
Most teams would field vastly diff squads to the nrl ones.

Players in our club going to the World Cup will most likely get rested.

Titanic
05-09-13, 06:07 PM
I doubt Idris, Myles or James would get a run in this for two reasons. Firstly I think they should be rested until the club really needs them and secondly the shortened version of the game doesn't suit them either. Better young blokes like Likiliki and Ioane should get their chances ... and even Blair.

Mexican titan
05-09-13, 09:54 PM
IMO there should be a Indigenous side in the competition...that would be the best of both worlds result.

That is a great idea but other than that....who cares about the 9's.

Hail Sezer
05-09-13, 09:56 PM
That is a great idea but other than that....who cares about the 9's.

I do. I'll be going. It's not often I can attend rugby league matches of that calibre in New Zealand without watching the warriors and I'm sure most of the NZ league followers feel the same way. It's a spectacle over here and I'm really excited about getting to watch the team I support play, even if it is only in 9s format.

Toads
05-09-13, 10:09 PM
It'll be ok to watch I guess (after learning of the possible format), a good kickstart to 2014 season.

But not too keen on the idea of possible pre-season injuries, even though the line up won't resemble that of our usual NRL Comp squad. A one-off match of the All Stars that sees 2 or 3 of our guys in the game is a worthwhile risk for the calibre of the All Star's Match, but 13 (9 fielded 4 benched) in a 9's Tournament, I dunno..

Boofhead
15-09-13, 07:51 PM
Cartwright means business with prize offer
Travis Meyn | September 13 2013, 6:03am

THE Titans will field their best possible side in next year's Auckland Nines with coach John Cartwright declaring the Gold Coast is intent on winning the inaugural event.

Cartwright has promised to pick the likes of excitement machines Albert Kelly, David Mead, Kevin Gordon and Dave Taylor in the $2 million pre-season tournament, provided they are fit.

But hooker Matt Srama is likely to miss out as he faces six months on the sidelines because of a shoulder reconstruction.

Srama will go under the knife next week after dislocating his right shoulder in the final round loss to Melbourne last weekend.

Beau Falloon (toe), Luke Douglas (shoulder) and Brad Takairangi (ankle) are also scheduled for off-season surgery, however none are as serious as Srama's.

Cartwright said the Titans would be taking the nine-a-side tournament in February seriously with a $450,000 prize for the winner.

"There's no trials that weekend so it's not any extra play. There'll be less impact in a nines game than a normal game," he said.

"We'll be fielding the best side we can. We can take 16 players so the loads won't be a problem.

"It's certainly decent prize money and we'll be shooting hard for it."

The Titans begin pre-season training on November 4 however a host of players have decided to start their 2014 preparations next week.

The club has organised gym memberships in a bid to keep the players fresh and away from their normal headquarters.

Srama's injury is a crushing blow for the diminutive rake who is facing another injury-plagued pre-season.

Falloon is challenging him as the Titans' first-choice hooker but Cartwright said the 22-year-old was remaining positive.

"It's disappointing he won't get the off-season we would have liked with him.

"He's got a lot of work in front of him," he said.

Co-captain Greg Bird won the Brad Fittler Medal on Wednesday night as the NSW State of Origin player of the year.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2013/09/13/458111_gold-coast-titans.html

TITAN FAN
16-09-13, 06:53 AM
Thanks for the info Steve
Got my head around it now

Whilst trials are a way of looking at combinations form etc coaching staff would have a fair idea of who is in the 17 without needing trials

I have never been a fan given all of the injuries that inevitably happen accross the NRL during that period

Nines initiative could to be an exciting concept howevr I have my reservations in terms of injuries

TITAN FAN
16-09-13, 06:59 AM
Very dissapointing for young Srama
I thought the Srama and Falloon combination worked

Just as we have a bit of depth with our hookers having two really good ones
and young irwin learning the trade

DIEHARD
16-09-13, 06:42 PM
Glad they are resting All Stars in post World Cup years. Seems to me like a fair cycle.

DavidBouveng
16-09-13, 08:40 PM
If we win can we spend the money on Neil Henry?

Supergoose
16-09-13, 10:11 PM
I'm not sure how nines works. Do you have a fullback? If so do you just have a 4 man left side and 4 man right side or do you have a middle 4 and 2 x 2 man edges?

I'd go with the following

Mead
Gordon
Zillman
Idris
Likiliki
Kelly
Takairangi
Taylor
Bird (possibly unavailable)

Bailey
Ridge
Minichiello
Don
Sezer
Falloon

Coaster
16-09-13, 10:28 PM
Odwyer would make an excellent nines players IMO.

teke
17-09-13, 03:28 AM
If we win can we spend the money on Neil Henry?:laugh:

Titanic
17-09-13, 09:31 AM
If we win can we spend the money on Neil Henry?
No, good money after bad while the current set-up is in place ... give it to Tam for the website.

Blade07
30-10-13, 09:13 AM
Warriors learn fate for inaugural Auckland Nines
Last updated 11:00 30/10/2013

BEN STANLEY

The Warriors have drawn the Raiders, Sea Eagles and Cowboys in the first NRL Auckland Nines to be held at Eden Park next February.

Those four teams are in Pool A of the tournament that will began at 1pm on Saturday, February 15.

The Rooster, Eels, Broncos and the Bulldogs fill the second pool, while the Sharks, Knights, Tigers and Titans are in the third.

The final pool shapes as the toughest with the Storm taking on the Panthers, Rabbitohs and Dragons.

The Sharks and Knights will open the tournament while the Warriors start their campaign against the Raiders at 2.25pm on February 15.

"I like the chances of the Warriors being one of the two sides to advance from their pool," Warriors legend, club centurion and former skipper Monty Betham, said.

"The clubs with the great rugby league tradition aren't necessarily going to be great at Nines.

"Manly will be difficult and the Cowboys have some real talent but the Raiders are from the Land of the Giants - big powerful forwards aren't going to get it done in Nines."

The clubs will compete for a New Zealand record $2.6 million in prizemoney.

The NRL's 16 clubs have all guaranteed at least one top five player from each of the club's salary cap. They will play in Auckland alongside at least 12 of each club's top 25 salary capped players.

The draw was made by Auckland mayor Len Brown and Knights forward Willie Mason at Dick Smith's at Sylvia Park this morning. Dick Smith was named as the tournament sponsors today.

Blade07
30-10-13, 09:14 AM
I think we will win our pool
Toughest competition will be sharks

Hail Sezer
30-10-13, 09:20 AM
I think we will win our pool
Toughest competition will be sharks

I think Tigers will surprise a few. They'll have so much flair with the likes of Simona, Nofoaluma, Koroibete, Naiyaravoro and Tedesco. Then young Brooks marshalling the troops with big Sironen out there as well. Don't forget about Farah too. I see them as a real threat on such an open field.

Hail Sezer
30-10-13, 10:12 AM
Here is the full draw:

DAY ONE
Game 1 - 12.35pm: Sharks v Knights
Game 2 - 1pm: Tigers v Titans
Game 3 - 1.25pm: Roosters v Eels
Game 4 - 1.50pm: Broncos v Bulldogs
Game 5 - 2.25pm: Warriors v Raiders
Game 6 - 2.50pm: Sea Eagles v Cowboys
Game 7 - 3.15pm: Storm v Panthers
Game 8 - 3.40pm: Rabbitohs v Dragons
Game 9 - 4.20pm: Sharks v Tigers
Game 10 - 4.45pm: Knights v Titans
Game 11 - 5.10pm: Roosters v Broncos
Game 12 - 5.35pm: Eels v Bulldogs
Game 13 - 6.10pm: Warriors v Sea Eagles
Game 14 - 6.35pm: Raiders v Warriors
Game 15 - 7pm: Storm v Rabbitohs
Game 16 - 7.25pm: Panthers v Dragons

DAY TWO
Game 17 - 12pm: Sharks v Titans
Game 18 - 12.25pm: Knights v Tigers
Game 19 - 12.50pm: Roosters v Bulldogs
Game 20 - 1.15pm: Eels v Broncos
Game 21 - 1.45pm: Warriors v Cowboys
Game 22 - 2.10pm: Raiders v Sea Eagles
Game 23 - 2.35pm: Storm v Dragons
Game 24 - 3pm: Panthers v Rabbitohs
Game 25 - 3.30pm: 1st Quarter Final
Game 26 - 3.55pm: 2nd Quarter Final
Game 27 - 4.20pm: 3rd Quarter Final
Game 28 - 4.45pm: 4th Quarter Final
Game 29 - 5.45pm: 1st Semi Final
Game 30 - 6.10pm 2nd Semi Final
Game 31 - 7.30pm: Final

DIEHARD
30-10-13, 07:53 PM
Thanks for posting! I'm in heaven right now. A World Cup and a 9s tournament to look forward to. We are a red hot chance. Could be our first trophy and I believe it would be worth the effort for a club to acquire a reputation of being good at 9s footy

DIEHARD
30-10-13, 07:54 PM
Must be an advantage for for us to draw the first game on game 2. If we are lucky enough to qualify for the Finals.

DIEHARD
08-11-13, 04:29 PM
The 9s is going to be great for the game, just think at club level, this could have been a great platform for players such as Matt Russell and Shannon Walker. It may help players crack the NRL and get on the radar. Hopefully we see a few wild cards entered by all clubs and all clubs see the benefits. Should create alot of preseason chatter and debate.

K2G
13-12-13, 11:50 PM
Creative and explosive edge-running forwards like Roosters dynamo Sonny Bill Williams loom as the stars of the 2014 Dick Smith NRL Auckland Nines, according to the man who called rugby league's last nines event on television in 1997.

Widely travelled and respected commentator Andrew Voss, who acted as MC for the official tournament launch at Rugby League Central at Moore Park, told NRL.com that Titan Dave Taylor and Bulldog Frank Pritchard are other players who could steal the show.

"I think it might be the bigger blokes who star rather than the little blokes," Voss said. "Every team would like to have a Sonny Bill Williams, because he's made for it.

"I think those players we see on the edges in 13-a-side rugby league can be the most damaging. Sure the little blokes will have their moments – and players like Jarryd Hayne and Billy Slater if he plays, they can do their bit – but I think the headline acts will be those blokes who can work the edges.

"But a player like Dave Taylor – he could absolutely revel in this. This is made for him to just rip and tear.

"Frank Pritchard, from what I saw of him at the World Cup, he's going to love the nines format. They can go hell for leather, it's unlimited interchange so the moment you've got an empty petrol tank [you can come off]."

Voss also said punters may end up surprised by some lower-scoring games, with nines being "far more tactical" than sevens. It was also a reason players who could both attack and defend would be of supreme value.

"This [tournament] is involving the 16 NRL clubs – they'll be really well-drilled, you know their defences are good, they'll be physically fit, you know they'll be in fantastic shape to just give it their all for nine minutes each way, so you might go there thinking 'we're going to see nothing but high-scoring matches' – but you might be surprised," Voss said.

"You might get some low-scoring games where points are hard-earned, that will bring out amazing skills and 'out-there' kicking games to break these defences even though it is only nine players on the field."

Sides with the best tactical kicking games could also be expected to prosper, with some innovative kicks likely to be rolled out.

"We just see the kicking games of the players from the last decade, the way things have changed. Andrew Johns was the first player who brought in a whole box of tricks but now they can all do it, every playmaker has this range of kicks and I think nines is absolutely going to let them produce the lot – and do it on any tackle," Voss said.

"The kick could become used as much as the pass – if you want to get the ball quickly out to the wing, I think that will be an exciting element of nines, I've got no doubt about that."

Voss also took the opportunity to relay to NRL.com an anecdote from his time calling the 1997 Nines tournament – one that former video ref and current Gold Coast Titans boss Graham Annesley "would love me to relay again".

Voss said Annesley was the video ref in a game between Australia and Samoa at the 1997 Nines tournament – heralding the first time a video referee had been used in Australia.

Joe Galuvao, playing fullback for Samoa, attempted to dive on the ball for a try and "missed by conservatively three metres" before Michael Hancock grounded, meaning the Australians were expecting to restart play with a goal-line dropout. But the on-field referee Brian Grant had other ideas.

"Brian Grant I think wanted to... be the first to do the TV box signal. So on came freeze frame, Graham Annesley is the video referee, it was quite obvious it was meant to be a line dropout," Voss recalled.

"But Graham Annesley pressed green rather than red – he pressed the wrong button! Michael Hancock said 'what the?', everyone said 'what?' but they didn't overrule it, they stuck with it as a try. The first ever video refereeing decision – shouldn't we have known then, when there was controversy right from the get-go?"

Thankfully technology and processes have advanced considerably during the past 16 years, to the point where it's a given the stars of rugby league will provide all the talking points when they assemble at Eden Park in February.

http://www.nrl.com/edge-forwards-to-shine-at-nines/tabid/10874/newsid/75739/default.aspx

K2G
13-12-13, 11:54 PM
Probably should have put this in the 9's thread - sorry guys, feel free to move it.

If Vossy is right about the impact of skillfull edge running forwards, titans will do well in the comp i think.

Shook my head at the Annesley anecdote. Let's hope his decision making skills have improved.

Titanic
14-12-13, 03:42 AM
More worried about Annersley's colour blindness.

TITAN PETE
14-12-13, 08:58 AM
Wayne Cousins
Friday 13 December 2013 4:08 PM

iSelect Gold Coast Titans Co-Captain Greg Bird is convinced his side can be a major threat in the inaugural Dick Smith NRL Auckland Nines tournament.

And he has nominated two of the Titans' exciting young backs to shine at Eden Park on February 15-16. The Titans are in the same group pool as Wests Tigers, Newcastle Knights and Cronulla Sharks.

"I think Aidan Sezer and Albert Kelly are going to be two of the standout players of the tournament,'' Bird declared.
"How they played for us this year in the full version of the game was great.
If you give a player like Albert Kelly more open space, he is going to be devastating.
"I can see the likes of David Taylor and Jamal Idris causing havoc out wide with their ball playing skills and strength. We also have two of the fastest wingers in the competition in Kevin Gordon and David Mead.
"I'm very excited about the type of team we will be putting on the field for the Nines. I reckon we have got a massive chance of winning it."
Bird is hoping to take his place in the Titans side for the $2.25 (Aus) million dollars in prize money in which all16 NRL clubs. He is likely to undergo minor surgery on his right elbow next week after sustaining the injury during the Origin series.
"This is going to be a tremendous tournament. The fans will love the fact that every team is at the same venue.

"I think the uncertainty of it is what makes it interesting. No one is going to know what sort of game plan to use and everything is going to be different. I'm going over there with an open mind and plan to have plenty of fun."

League fans have already made the inaugural Dick Smith NRL Auckland Nines the most successful rugby league event in the country's history with ticket revenue having passed over $3 million - the highest figure ever recorded for a rugby league event in New Zealand.

DIEHARD
14-12-13, 12:30 PM
I really think that we can win this. We have to be one of the favourites. Warriors would also go well, which is great for the host nation.

teke
14-12-13, 02:06 PM
I don't think we will get close to getting out of our group stage.

ozynorts
16-12-13, 11:22 AM
Wayne Cousins
Friday 13 December 2013 4:08 PM

iSelect Gold Coast Titans Co-Captain Greg Bird is convinced his side can be a major threat in the inaugural Dick Smith NRL Auckland Nines tournament.

And he has nominated two of the Titans' exciting young backs to shine at Eden Park on February 15-16. The Titans are in the same group pool as Wests Tigers, Newcastle Knights and Cronulla Sharks.

"I think Aidan Sezer and Albert Kelly are going to be two of the standout players of the tournament,'' Bird declared.
"How they played for us this year in the full version of the game was great.
If you give a player like Albert Kelly more open space, he is going to be devastating.
"I can see the likes of David Taylor and Jamal Idris causing havoc out wide with their ball playing skills and strength. We also have two of the fastest wingers in the competition in Kevin Gordon and David Mead.
"I'm very excited about the type of team we will be putting on the field for the Nines. I reckon we have got a massive chance of winning it."
Bird is hoping to take his place in the Titans side for the $2.25 (Aus) million dollars in prize money in which all16 NRL clubs. He is likely to undergo minor surgery on his right elbow next week after sustaining the injury during the Origin series.
"This is going to be a tremendous tournament. The fans will love the fact that every team is at the same venue.

"I think the uncertainty of it is what makes it interesting. No one is going to know what sort of game plan to use and everything is going to be different. I'm going over there with an open mind and plan to have plenty of fun."

League fans have already made the inaugural Dick Smith NRL Auckland Nines the most successful rugby league event in the country's history with ticket revenue having passed over $3 million - the highest figure ever recorded for a rugby league event in New Zealand.

I can't see the likes of Dave Taylor being able to maintain the speed of the game. I know that there is unlimited interchange but trying to get someone off the field quickly can be a problem when they are blowing hard. Guys in the normal game have plenty of time to jog off but in 9's they will have to sprint off to avoid being caught out if there is a turnover.
I would be happy for us to use our halves and centre/second rowers and not bother with really big guys. Use guys who have good speed and are able to recover quickly.
Bird may not be the fastest but his second efforts are exactly what will be needed in this format I think.

Julius Sezer
17-12-13, 06:51 AM
Cant wait to see Willie Mason in action

DIEHARD
22-12-13, 02:16 PM
Who is the Titans' must-have Nines player?

The inaugural Dick Smith NRL Auckland Nines will see the 16 NRL clubs competing for $2.6 million in prize money in a two-day blockbuster over February 15 and 16. While the individual 15-man squads are unknown at this stage, each club is committed to fielding 12 players from their top 25 squad, including at least one of their five highest-paid players.

So who is the one Titans player most likely to shine at the tournament? Have your say below.

Jamal Idris - Was in career best form before injury halted his charge in 2013 – if he can recapture anything like it his size and athleticism could make him the player of the tournament.

Greg Bird - A bruising defender and dangerous hole runner who can pop an offload or throw a cut-out pass. Will be a key man in the Nines format.

Albert Kelly - Scored a number of long range tries in 2013 and could well score a few more in February 2014.

Aidan Sezer - His composure and controlled kicking will be the glue holding a skilful Titans side together.

Dave Taylor - If he produces what he is capable of, his unique blend of size and skill could well make him one of the most important players in the tournament.

Kevin Gordon - A genuine finishing winger and one of the real fast men of the game.

William Zillman - 'Zip Zip' Zillman possesses a blinding turn of pace that can often leave opponents clutching at thin air and could provide the x-factor for the Titans

Source: http://www.nrl.com

DIEHARD
22-12-13, 02:18 PM
Any bolters for the Nines team? It's a fantastic opportunity for the type of players who find it hard to get some limelight at the Titans.

mdrew
22-12-13, 02:24 PM
I think that nines will suit Brad Takairangi nicely

lonegull
22-12-13, 02:32 PM
Thought David mead deserved to be on that list , he will tear the 9's apart

C-Whiz
11-01-14, 07:32 AM
Posted this in thew Auckland 9s thread....

Titans 9's team might have the quickest back line in this comp now.

Zilly, Mead, Flash, Brad Tighe, Alby.

Add Dave Taylor and Taka.

Does anyone know what the breakdown of cash prizes are for winner/runners up etc?

With $2.7M up for grabs, I think the club will be seriously eyeing this tournament off as a good way to pay some bills.

C-Whiz
11-01-14, 07:36 AM
What do people think about Sam Irwin playing in this comp?
Isn't he the quickest of the hooker/dummy half options?

Does anyone actually know how the scrum works in 9's? No lock, but are they contested or standard NRL crap?

C-Whiz
11-01-14, 07:43 AM
William Zillman - 'Zip Zip' Zillman possesses a blinding turn of pace that can often leave opponents clutching at thin air and could provide the x-factor for the Titans

Source: http://www.nrl.com
Zip Zip? Seriously? :?)

If Zilly can't show us all/convince us/prove the doubters wrong in the 9's tournament that he has "a blinding turn of pace that can often leave opponents clutching at thin air" then I am going to give up hope on ever seeing it. I believe he has it, it's just been a long time since we've all seen it.

He gets rave reviews from almost everyone outside of this forum, yet most of us are always left wondering what it is that so many others see.

This is his chance to prove once and for all what he has to offer, with space to move, he needs to shine. :thumbsup:

ozynorts
11-01-14, 07:58 AM
What do people think about Sam Irwin playing in this comp?
Isn't he the quickest of the hooker/dummy half options?

Does anyone actually know how the scrum works in 9's? No lock, but are they contested or standard NRL crap?

As this is a league format I think the scrums will be a joke as usual.

Titanic
11-01-14, 05:26 PM
We only have to play one of the top 5 contracted players so that probably means Harrison rather than one of the injury-prone guys like Taylor.

I think Cartwright will go with the fringe players like Carter and Hazard, Minichiello and Ridge, Henry and Irwin, Don and Michaels, etc or at least I would, rather than have my best players getting busted slipping in Freddy's spew.

Skyfire
11-01-14, 07:10 PM
Zip Zip? Seriously? :?)

If Zilly can't show us all/convince us/prove the doubters wrong in the 9's tournament that he has "a blinding turn of pace that can often leave opponents clutching at thin air" then I am going to give up hope on ever seeing it. I believe he has it, it's just been a long time since we've all seen it.

He gets rave reviews from almost everyone outside of this forum, yet most of us are always left wondering what it is that so many others see.

This is his chance to prove once and for all what he has to offer, with space to move, he needs to shine. :thumbsup:

Zillman has the most moronic nicknames. Zip Zip and Total Package. :nope:

toddythetitan
14-01-14, 01:16 PM
Saw on nrl.com that sides have until febuary 10th to nominate there squads so we have a little wait yet and any updates on the nines jersey I know we will have one and the shop at pac fair said it will be available to buy but unsure when?

Skyfire
14-01-14, 03:04 PM
I cant wait that long to know the squad!

Blade07
14-01-14, 05:14 PM
It will be out late next week the jersey

DIEHARD
14-01-14, 07:29 PM
Taylor could prove Nines 'X-factor'

Teammates believe hulking forward Dave Taylor could provide an 'X-factor' for the iSelect Titans if picked to take part in the inaugural Auckland Nines from February 15-16.

Taylor has been slogging it out cross-training in the club’s altitude chamber at Titans HQ for much of the pre-season as he battles a niggling calf injury, which has restricted his field training with the rest of the squad.

However, if he can prove his fitness over the next month and win selection in Coach John Cartwright’s 16-man squad to tackle the Auckland Nines, iSelect Titans fullback Will Zillman believes his size and skill could be a real asset for the side.

“Dave Taylor is one of our biggest but he’s one of our quickest so someone like him, you’d think would be well suited to the Nines,’’ said Zillman.

“We’ll just have to see, we’ve got some big guys that are really fit and quite agile as well so it’s a fairly handy position to be in.''

The Titans' pre-season focus to date has been on the regular season but with the inaugural Nines tournament just a month away, Zillman said he anticipated the side to begin specific preparations for the 9-a-side game in the coming weeks.

“I think that’ll happen in the week or two leading up to it. At the moment, we are really focussed on the season ahead and starting to get our combinations right which I’m sure most of the teams are doing.

“But coming closer to the Nines in a week or two, we'll probably start to think about it more.''

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

toddythetitan
17-01-14, 08:53 PM
And that is that the our nines jersey may be armour I hope its not just colours like raiders and cowboys

DIEHARD
17-01-14, 09:26 PM
And that is that the our nines jersey may be armour I hope its not just colours like raiders and cowboys

Those template ones are shocking. Fair enough on an individual basis, but the cookie cutter mentality is such a waste. I dont think people will feel compelled to buy one if they arent unique.

toddythetitan
17-01-14, 10:25 PM
Such a wasted opportunity hopefully the titans release a gem

kioli
20-01-14, 08:23 AM
We've had some pretty out-there training jerseys in the past. Wouldn't mind seeing something a bit like those now we've got a traditional jersey for H&A

nimud
20-01-14, 06:32 PM
We've had some pretty out-there training jerseys in the past. Wouldn't mind seeing something a bit like those now we've got a traditional jersey for H&A

If they ran out with a cut and paste GC Tweed Giants strip, that would blitz anything

hatchy84
22-01-14, 08:04 AM
Jersey for 9s is a bit out there don't know if I like it

hatchy84
22-01-14, 08:05 AM
On titans Facebook page

K2G
22-01-14, 11:12 AM
Gold Coast Titans to unleash their best team against the Auckland Nines
TRAVIS MEYN Gold Coast Bulletin January 22, 2014 9:01AM
From Goldcoastbulletin.com.au
(http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/nrl/gold-coast-titans-to-unleash-their-best-team-against-the-auckland-nines/story-fnj9yd9w-1226807444043)

THE Gold Coast Titans will unleash their best team on the Auckland Nines with Dave Taylor, Greg Bird and Albert Kelly to feature in the inaugural tournament.

Titans coach John Cartwright is making a serious play to score a big chunk of the $2.6 million prize pool and will field the majority of his first choice players if they are fit.

Ryan James, who will unveil the club's special jersey at today's launch in Sydney, will be in the squad along with speedsters Kevin Gordon, David Mead, William Zillman and Anthony Don.

Veterans Mark Minichiello and Ashley Harrison will play but the club is toying with the idea of not running a specialist hooker with Bulldogs recruit Paul Carter, who is yet to make his NRL debut, to play dummy-half.

The Titans will play a trial against the Warriors in Auckland on February 9 and assistant coach Neil Henry said it was the perfect lead-in to the Nines the following weekend.

"We're over there for a trial against the Warriors the week before so it suits us to be in a camp and train for the Nines," he said.

"I am excited. I know a number of coaches aren't because of the format and they're asking why are we doing it.

"It's not costing anything to go over there and there's a healthy pay cheque if you win."

Henry will play a key role in formulating the Gold Coast's attacking structures for the nine-a-side tournament.

Kelly is still under an injury cloud after undergoing further treatment on his troublesome left foot yesterday but Henry said the squad was looking promising.

"If Albert recovers from his foot injury he'll be a great asset in that style of play," he said.

"Ryan James and Dave Taylor can offload and run. You'd like to think we could put a really competitive side together."

Taylor is still battling a nagging calf complaint and will have to train strongly for the next three weeks to guarantee a spot in the squad.

Bird (elbow) will have to pass contact tests while Penrith recruit Brad Tighe will get a chance to impress Cartwright.

Maurice Blair won't earn a berth.

Titanic
22-01-14, 11:19 AM
Thank heavens for all of that ... except I wouldn't have played "hands like feet" Minichiello ... I have been holding my breath hoping not to bring the football gods down on us all by them naming Preston Campbell or Matt Rogers ... relief.

K2G
22-01-14, 11:19 AM
Lots of interesting things in this article

- "Henry playing a key role in Titans attacking structures" is a sentence that gets me rock-hard and will only strengthens his case for the HC position should Titans do well in the 9's.
- No specialist hooker + Paul Carters possible debut. Srama and Irwin battling injury, so does that mean Falloon will be rested?
- Still hazy on the status of Kelly's foot injury, with the lead parragraph suggesting he will play in the 9's - but Henry specifically quoted as saying "If Albert recovers." I'd love to know how its coming along
- Maurice Blair won't play. Flat out. No reason or explanation given. Speculation?

Titanic
22-01-14, 11:24 AM
I reckon Blair may have been sanctioned by the club. I like Paul Carter's inclusion and maybe Hazard too. I also feel that Falloon needs to be put in cotton-wool but assume Ridge and Takairangi will factor in their somewhere. Kelly always seems to go down easily and then bounce back, I think this is his character.

C-Whiz
22-01-14, 06:29 PM
Gold Coast Titans to unleash their best team against the Auckland Nines
TRAVIS MEYN Gold Coast Bulletin January 22, 2014 9:01AM
From Goldcoastbulletin.com.au
(http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/nrl/gold-coast-titans-to-unleash-their-best-team-against-the-auckland-nines/story-fnj9yd9w-1226807444043)

THE Gold Coast Titans will unleash their best team on the Auckland Nines with Dave Taylor, Greg Bird and Albert Kelly to feature in the inaugural tournament.

Titans coach John Cartwright is making a serious play to score a big chunk of the $2.6 million prize pool and will field the majority of his first choice players if they are fit.

Ryan James, who will unveil the club's special jersey at today's launch in Sydney, will be in the squad along with speedsters Kevin Gordon, David Mead, William Zillman and Anthony Don.

Veterans Mark Minichiello and Ashley Harrison will play but the club is toying with the idea of not running a specialist hooker with Bulldogs recruit Paul Carter, who is yet to make his NRL debut, to play dummy-half.

The Titans will play a trial against the Warriors in Auckland on February 9 and assistant coach Neil Henry said it was the perfect lead-in to the Nines the following weekend.

"We're over there for a trial against the Warriors the week before so it suits us to be in a camp and train for the Nines," he said.

"I am excited. I know a number of coaches aren't because of the format and they're asking why are we doing it.

"It's not costing anything to go over there and there's a healthy pay cheque if you win."

Henry will play a key role in formulating the Gold Coast's attacking structures for the nine-a-side tournament.

Kelly is still under an injury cloud after undergoing further treatment on his troublesome left foot yesterday but Henry said the squad was looking promising.

"If Albert recovers from his foot injury he'll be a great asset in that style of play," he said.

"Ryan James and Dave Taylor can offload and run. You'd like to think we could put a really competitive side together."

Taylor is still battling a nagging calf complaint and will have to train strongly for the next three weeks to guarantee a spot in the squad.

Bird (elbow) will have to pass contact tests while Penrith recruit Brad Tighe will get a chance to impress Cartwright.

Maurice Blair won't earn a berth.This all makes sense to me, no real surprises here, Titans need the cash.

But the best news is Neil Henry setting the attacking structures.

If Blair is last on the pre-season beep test, he's not going to get a run at the 9's. End of story.
He will be lucky to take the field in a Titans jersey in 2014.

DavidBouveng
22-01-14, 07:55 PM
yeah this is pretty good news.

glad to see we are having a decent crack. we have mobile size, skill and some real pace.

and titanic you are spot on with Kelly, ive learnt to get to down when he gets injured, he rebounds back really quick.

DIEHARD
23-01-14, 01:36 AM
We are a real shot to win this. It'd be fantastic to win our first trophy, it isnt a Premiership but itd be pretty cool to see.

I remember Wests Tigers winning 7s in 2004 and it was a spring board to 2005 Premiership.

TITAN FAN
23-01-14, 03:11 PM
Any one have an idea why they would be resting the hooker they seem to be playing other key players
I know this is being looked at as a trail in a sense so why rest some players in the 9s and play them in the other trials
I have mentioned I am not really up to speed with the 9s game
I'm sure you blokes will have more of an idea

Titanic
23-01-14, 04:39 PM
It's only speculation that they will rest Falloon, however, with both Srama and Irwin injured it makes more sense to rest our only real choice in such a vital position.

Mt Smart
24-01-14, 12:22 PM
A lot of NRL fans are expecting the Titans to be a club to fear at the nines. That article just reinforces their red hot favorites tag....only Cronulla are making similar noises about going home with a pile of cash.

Trevor the Axe 'G' was talking about how nines is closer to 13's than most people realise.

Absolutely agree. The team that plays their NRL defensive structures by virtue of naming their first team players in familiar positions will tackle a lot of these speed and offload nines teams off the park.

The Titans will have the advantage of doing both.....playing a structured defensive line and having offloading hard running forwards to their very quick backs.

Cronulla will pose real problems for the same reason but they don't have the length of the field lightening players you have.

The Warriors on the other hand seem to be taking a sevens mentality to the Tournament ( I hope not ) ....but early signs are they favor giving Tomkins and Johnson a bunch of very agile , very fast creative backs to play with.

TITAN FAN
24-01-14, 12:27 PM
It's only speculation that they will rest Falloon, however, with both Srama and Irwin injured it makes more sense to rest our only real choice in such a vital position.

Thanks Mate! yes it makes sense

DIEHARD
24-01-14, 02:59 PM
That's why I back Nines over Sevens. It's some way closer to the real deal. But still opens it up enough.

DIEHARD
05-02-14, 04:38 PM
Taylor a certain Nines starter

Gold Coast back-rower Dave Taylor will be let loose on the expansive playing arena offered by the inaugural Dick Smith NRL Auckland Nines despite not being named in the Titans team for Sunday's trial against the Warriors in Auckland.

Although the final make-up of the Titans Nines team won't be finalised until next week, Gold Coast coach John Cartwright confirmed that Taylor will play as will fullback Will Zillman and outside backs Kevin Gordon and David Mead while co-captain Greg Bird is also expected to play.

Cartwright said that the majority of the Nines squad will come from the team that takes the field on Sunday with the abundance of outside backs at the club fighting for positions in that squad of 16.

New recruits Brad Tighe, Kalifa Faifai Loa and Siuatonga Likiliki get their chance to impress with Tighe and Likiliki given first shot at establishing themselves as the Titans centres for 2014 while Maurice Blair will be handed an opportunity to press his claims from the bench.

"The centre positions are the ones that are wide open," Cartwright said. "Zillman, Mead and Gordon, I rate them as high as any [back three] in the competition.

"They've had good off-seasons and they're ready to go so they will play in the last trial but the centre positions are wide open and there are a lot of guys there that can play in the centre.

"We'll try and give them all as equal an opportunity and most of those guys will play in the Nines and then they'll all have a crack in the last trial.

"Anyone who can put their hand up through the trials will get an inside run."

With something of an injury crisis hitting the hooking position, former Bulldogs under-20s back-rower Paul Carter has been thrust into the No.9 jersey for Sunday's trial as Cartwright endeavours to develop some versatility in his game.

While there is no timeframe on the return of Matt Srama from shoulder surgery and Beau Falloon is hoping to have recovered sufficiently from a hamstring strain to play in the final trial on February 22, Carter gets an unlikely shot at cementing a spot in the 17 for Round 1.

"Paul hasn't played a lot of hooker but I see his role there as one that could be real good for us," Cartwright said of the son of former Panthers premiership-winner Steve Carter.

"He's played a little bit at hooker as a kid but not at this level so just get him out there and see how he handles it.

"If you asked him he'd say he wants to play in the starting 13, that's what he's come here for, but as far as the team is concerned it's handy to have a guy who can play in a few different positions, especially the hooking role.

"It's such a specialised role so if he can come off the bench and do that and you know what he can do in the back row... If he plays well he'll certainly be pushing."

The news wasn't quite so good on co-captain Nate Myles who will be racing the clock to be fit to play in Round 1 against the Sharks following off-season groin surgery.

The Titans trial against the Warriors will be played at North Harbour Stadium on Sunday at 4pm NZ time.

http://www.nrl.com/

K2G
11-02-14, 04:04 PM
From Titans.com.au (http://www.titans.com.au/news-display/Bird-named-in-strong-team-for-Nines/90203)

iSelect Gold Coast Titans Co-Captain Greg Bird has been named in a near full-strength 16-man squad to contest this weekend’s inaugural Dick Smith Auckland Nines at Eden Park.

iSelect Titans Coach John Cartwright today named senior players Bird, Luke Bailey, William Zillman, Ashley Harrison and David Taylor to play their first matches of 2014 after they were rested from the club’s 36-18 trial match win over the New Zealand Warriors at North Harbour Stadium yesterday.

The squad also features new recruits Brad Tighe, Paul Carter, Kalifa Faifai Loa, Maurice Blair and Siuatonga Likiliki, who all impressed on debut for the club in yesterday’s trial match victory.

Flying wingers Kevin Gordon and David Mead have also been included while skillful halfback Albert Kelly will assume the chief playmaking duties in the absence of Aidan Sezer, who was ruled out of contention as a precautionary measure due to hamstring tightness.

Prop Ryan James was also today ruled out after suffering a shoulder injury in the win over the Warriors, while Co-Captain Nate Myles is the other notable absentee as he makes his return following off-season groin surgery.

iSelect Titans Coach John Cartwright said the club was intent on making its presence felt at the inaugural nine-a-side tournament and had picked the best available team accordingly.

“Our preparation has been good, we’ve come over here with a mission to do as well as we can in it and we’re definitely not treating it as a circus,’’ said Cartwright.

“We’ve picked out best side and we want to go as deep into it as we possibly can.

“We got through the trial well yesterday and we’ve picked what we think is our best available team.

“We used that trial yesterday to give a few guys a bit of a run and the Nines will be a mix of half the guys that played and half that didn’t, so they all would have had a taste of football by the end of the weekend.’’

iSelect Titans squad for Dick Smith Auckland Nines
Eden Park
February 15-16

1 William Zillman
2 Brad Tighe
3 David Mead
4 Kevin Gordon
5 Albert Kelly
6 Greg Bird
7 Ashley Harrison
8 Anthony Don
9 Paul Carter
10 Kalifa Faifai Loa
11 Brad Takairangi
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Maurice Blair
14 Luke Bailey
15 Siuatonga Likiliki
16 David Taylor

K2G
11-02-14, 04:09 PM
Really strong side. So much speed at the back. Right decision to leave out Sezer and James. Interesting to see Don at 8? although iv'e got no idea how the field positions work in nines... Birdy partnering Kelly is probably a good move for this format. Glad Taka is fit for the tourny as it should suit his game. I think this team will do very well

Tartmaster
11-02-14, 04:53 PM
Yeah Taka should beast it for us.
Really confident with that side.

Mt Smart
11-02-14, 05:31 PM
Titans Red hot Favs as expected. That team leaves ours for dead.

shamus
11-02-14, 06:02 PM
Not sure if anyone has posted the times for the 9's so here goes. (This is Brisbane time)....and it is live on Fox.

SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 15
Game 1. Sharks v Knights – 9.35am
Game 2. Wests Tigers v Titans – 10am
Game 3. Roosters v Eels – 10.25am
Game 4. Broncos v Bulldogs – 10.50am
Game 5. Warriors v Raiders – 11.25am
Game 6. Sea Eagles v Cowboys – 11.50am
Game 7. Storm v Panthers – 12.15pm
Game 8. Rabbitohs v Dragons – 12.40pm
Game 9. Sharks v Wests Tigers – 1.20pm
Game 10. Knights v Titans – 1.45pm
Game 11. Roosters v Broncos – 2.10pm
Game 12. Eels v Bulldogs – 2.35pm
Game 13. Warriors v Sea Eagles – 3.10pm
Game 14. Raiders v Cowboys – 3.35pm
Game 15. Storm v Rabbitohs – 4pm
Game 16. Panthers v Dragons – 4.25pm

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 16
Game 17. Sharks v Titans – 9am
Game 18. Knights v Wests Tigers – 9.25am
Game 19. Roosters v Bulldogs – 9.50am
Game 20. Eels v Broncos – 10.15am
Game 21. Warriors v Cowboys – 10.45am
Game 22. Raiders v Sea Eagles – 11.10am
Game 23. Storm v Dragons – 11.35am
Game 24. Panthers v Rabbitohs – 12pm
1st Quarter-Final – 12.30pm
2nd Quarter-Final – 12.55pm
3rd Quarter-Final – 1.20pm
4th Quarter-Final – 1.45pm
1st Semi-Final – 2.45pm
2nd Semi-Final – 3.10pm
Final – 4.30pm

DIEHARD
11-02-14, 07:22 PM
NRL9s. Titans doing it right.

DavidBouveng
11-02-14, 08:26 PM
argh. agreed to help my mum move saturday morning thinking this was an afternoon thing..

gonna miss our first game at least, but be settled and ready for the afternoons games.

kudos for picking a strong team, go hard boys

Hail Sezer
11-02-14, 08:31 PM
argh. agreed to help my mum move saturday morning thinking this was an afternoon thing..

gonna miss our first game at least, but be settled and ready for the afternoons games.

kudos for picking a strong team, go hard boys

Keep your phone on you. Ill keep you adequately updated man.

Chaserz
11-02-14, 09:04 PM
Argh, I need to find an online channel to watch... suggestions anyone? Bear in mind I am in a different territory, so I might not be able to watch any default streams...

DavidBouveng
11-02-14, 09:13 PM
Keep your phone on you. Ill keep you adequately updated man.

cheers bro

teke
11-02-14, 10:12 PM
Titans Red hot Favs as expected. That team leaves ours for dead.:laugh:

That's a gee up cause titans will not be favs over the warriors.

Hurrell will stampede his way into the finals

Mt Smart
11-02-14, 11:03 PM
:laugh:

That's a gee up cause titans will not be favs over the warriors.

Hurrell will stampede his way into the finals

He may well do but I'm dead serious. I don't post here often. Been coming here to talk Warriors Titans games for a few years now.

I've always had a soft spot for the Titans so I guess I watch them with rose tinted spectacles ( It doesn't pain me as much as real fans when they Lose , apart from when they're in the finals series that hurt ).

The reason I rate the Titans is they have speed to match the Warriors very Quick nines team , but they also have the forwards to draw the defenders in.

If you line up the two forward packs the Warriors will be in trouble V the Titans. They have risked everything on picking skinny quick guys Like Peroux.

Titanic
11-02-14, 11:15 PM
Argh, I need to find an online channel to watch... suggestions anyone? Bear in mind I am in a different territory, so I might not be able to watch any default streams...
I posted a link earlier in this thread.

TITAN PETE
12-02-14, 07:44 AM
Nines alive for old 'Bull' Bailey
By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent
NRL.com
6:00am Wed 12th February, 2014

With Fittler and Menzies lining up, Titans veteran Luke Bailey is a veritable spring chicken at the Auckland Nines. Copyright: Col Whelan/NRL Photos
He would have been a short-priced favourite to be the oldest player at the Dick Smith NRL Auckland Nines when the tournament was announced back in October but instead evergreen Titans prop Luke Bailey will be a veritable spring chicken.

Bailey, who turned 34 on January 5, has been named in the strongest possible Titans squad who are missing only Nate Myles, Aidan Sezer and Ryan James due to injury.

New recruits Brad Tighe, Kalifa Faifai Loa, Paul Carter, Maurice Blair and Siuatonga Likiliki are all there alongside excitement machines in Albert Kelly, Kevin Gordon, David Mead and Dave Taylor and veterans in Bailey, Ashley Harrison, Greg Bird and Mark Minichiello in a sure sign that the Titans hold serious ambitions of winning.

The second-oldest player in the NRL in season 2014, the inclusion of Fuifui Moimoi in the Eels squad and the inclusions of rugby league legends Brad Fittler and Steve Menzies in the Roosters and Sea Eagles squads respectively means Bailey can steer well clear of the senior citizens podium for at least one weekend.

Having defeated the Warriors 36-18 in a trial game in Auckland on Sunday, Gold Coast coach John Cartwright left no doubt that his side has their eyes on a sizeable chunk of the $2.6 million in prize money.

"We certainly haven't come over here to treat it as anything other than wanting to win it. We got through the trial yesterday and we've picked what we think is our best available team," Cartwright told Titans TV.

"Our preparation has been good, we've come over here with a mission to do as well as we can in it. We're definitely not treating it like a circus, we've picked our best side and we want to go as deep into it as we possibly can."

Sezer was a late withdrawal from the team that played the Warriors on Sunday while Ryan James was forced from the field after just 15 minutes with a shoulder injury. While the news on James's shoulder injury is positive, Cartwright said he wasn't prepared to risk either less than a month before the start of the competition proper.

"It's not long before we're into the Nines so we're just not going to take any risks with players that are not quite 100 per cent," Cartwright said.

"Our main focus is still getting ready for the Sharks [in round 1] so that will mean having the best side we can for the [trial game against the] Cowboys so they get some game time."

Titans
William Zillman, Brad Tighe, David Mead, Kevin Gordon, Albert Kelly, Greg Bird, Ashley Harrison, Anthony Don, Paul Carter, Kalifa Faifai Loa, Brad Takairangi, Mark Minichiello, Maurice Blair, Luke Bailey, Siuatonga Likiliki, David Taylor.

TITAN PETE
12-02-14, 07:51 AM
Gold Coast Titan Dave Taylor will be the one to watch in the Auckland Nines

TRAVIS MEYN GOLD COAST BULLETIN FEBRUARY 12, 2014 12:01AM

HE tips the scales at a staggering 120kg and has been used as a battering ram for most of his career but Titans giant Dave Taylor has been tagged as the man to watch at this weekend’s Auckland Nines.

Gold Coast great Preston Campbell, one of the most elusive players to grace the NRL, has declared Taylor could hold the fortunes to the Titans’ chances in the inaugural nine-a-side tournament.

Taylor was yesterday named in a red-hot 16-man squad along with the likes of NSW star Greg Bird and livewire half-back Albert Kelly.

Speedsters Kevin Gordon, David Mead and William Zillman will also play along with new recruits Brad Tighe, Kalifa Faifai Loa, Maurice Blair, Siuatonga Likiliki and Paul Carter.

But the performance of Taylor will be the one to watch, according to 267-game veteran Campbell.

“We all know what skill and talent he has. He’s trained really hard in the off-season and his fitness is up,” Campbell said.

“The more we can have the big fella on the field the better it’ll be. He’ll do some damage in the Nines.

“He’ll be chipping and chasing or chipping and getting others to chase.

“It’s going to be a format that suits him.”

Taylor has had a restricted pre-season because of a nagging calf problem but is at peak aerobic fitness due to a heavy training schedule.

He will join veterans Ashley Harrison, Mark Minichiello, Luke Bailey and Bird in the Gold Coast’s forward pack and ex-Titan Luke O’Dwyer said his offload could prove to be the difference.

“It’ll suit him. Imagine three or four trying to pull him down and then he offloads to someone like Albert Kelly,” said O’Dwyer, who played 102 NRL games for the club.

“If he’s standing there with three or four (players hanging off him) and offloads to someone like Zilly going through a hole then it’s going to look pretty sharp.

“You’ve got the flair from Albert Kelly and the guys who are hard to tackle one-on-one. Try and bring Dave down one-on-one.

“If he attracts three or four defenders and gets the ball away then it’s going to create some great opportunities.”

Kelly, who battled a foot problem during the pre-season, has been labelled as one of the stars to watch at Eden Park and Campbell said his cousin was ready to shine.

“There’s a bit more space for guys like Albert with four less players. It’s going to be open season for guys like him,” he said.

“He’s really looking forward to putting in another good year. He had a great year last year and is on track to get his career back on track.

“They talk about second-year syndrome but I don’t think he’s had a full year before.

“I think he’s ready to go even higher and break the shackles.”

The Titans are spending the week in Auckland and began Nines specific training after Sunday’s trial win over the Warriors.

Coach John Cartwright said the club was going after the $2.25 million of prizemoney on offer.

“Our preparation has been good, we’ve come over here with a mission to do as well as we can in it and we’re definitely not treating it as a circus,’’ he said.

“We’ve picked out best side and we want to go as deep into it as we possibly can.

“We got through the trial well and we’ve picked what we think is our best available team.”

The Titans have been pooled with the Knights, Sharks and Tigers.

Surfers66
12-02-14, 02:56 PM
Ill be throwing some cash down on the titans at $9 for the tournament.
Seems a good price and not convinced the Warriors should be so short.

Ill have some multis throughout the day on 4-5 games in a row.

Im liking the looks of us, newcastle and the broncs....

Is there any other teams that could perform on the day?

Mexican titan
12-02-14, 03:56 PM
Ill be throwing some cash down on the titans at $9 for the tournament.
Seems a good price and not convinced the Warriors should be so short.

Ill have some multis throughout the day on 4-5 games in a row.

Im liking the looks of us, newcastle and the broncs....

Is there any other teams that could perform on the day?

Titans or the Broncs for me.

Titanic
12-02-14, 04:44 PM
For those outside of Australia, I received this email reply from the NRL to my inquiry today:

Hi Titanic,

Thanks for your enquiry.

Supporters in China are able to watch the inaugural Dick Smith Auckland Nines competition via http://new.livestream.com/NRL.

International broadcast arrangements for the 2014 NRL Telstra Premiership season are currently being finalised, and will be posted on our website prior to the season commencing on 6th March.

I hope this assists with your query, and we thank you for your support of the game.

Kind regards

Brett
Supporter liaison

Chaserz
12-02-14, 07:40 PM
Awesomesauce!

Titanic
12-02-14, 08:02 PM
A word of advice ... regional restrictions apply to this very good service so you may need to crank up a vpn and point it to servers in the States as they are free of broadcast limitations.

DIEHARD
13-02-14, 03:57 AM
Well done Titanic. Useful info! Great to see the NRL employing a supporter liaison. Now they are getting serious and in the right track.

Hail Sezer
13-02-14, 09:40 AM
Meyn tweeted that Shannon Walker has been asked to play for us and is considering it? Not sure if it's a legitimate tweet?

mdrew
13-02-14, 09:46 AM
Meyn tweeted that Shannon Walker has been asked to play for us and is considering it? Not sure if it's a legitimate tweet?

It is the Courier Mail as well, so there maybe is something to it

Hail Sezer
13-02-14, 09:50 AM
It is the Courier Mail as well, so there maybe is something to it

What does the article in the Courier Mail say?

mdrew
13-02-14, 10:01 AM
What does the article in the Courier Mail say?

Just that he was asked to play and he has not ruled it out, also notes that he may consider playing league again next year

Nick
13-02-14, 10:02 AM
He would be in Nz after the 7s over the weekend.. They do have over a month until their next 7s tourney so those pieces fit.. However rugby would not risk injury to Australias already injury prone, top try scorer..

He would tear it up though, his footwork is insane.

K2G
13-02-14, 11:37 AM
Bulletin article (http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/nrl/rugby-sevens-star-shannon-walker-considers-shock-return-to-nrl/story-fnj9yd9w-1226825878212)

"
NRL
Rugby Sevens star Shannon Walker considers shock return to NRL

TRAVIS MEYN Exclusive
Gold Coast Bulletin
February 13, 2014 9:32AM

Be The First To Respond
Australian Rugby 7's player Shannon Walker. Pics Adam Head

Australian Rugby 7's player Shannon Walker. Pics Adam Head Source: News Limited

RUGBY Sevens star Shannon Walker is weighing up a shock *return to the NRL after the Gold Coast Titans approached their *former protege about making a cameo appearance in the Auckland Nines.

Titans hierarchy contacted Walker’s manager, Anthony *Picone, late last year to gauge the Gold Coast product’s interest in playing in this weekend’s inaugural nine-a-side league tournament.

The Australian Rugby Union, who Walker is contracted to until the end of this year, shot down the approach and refused to grant Walker a clearance to play in a rival code.

Walker would have been the third left-field player in the Nines after the Roosters and Manly *resurrected the careers of Brad *Fittler, 42, and Steve Menzies, 40.

“It would have been all right (to play the Nines), but it wasn’t the case in the end,” Walker said.

“My manager mentioned it to me, but I didn’t really think much of it.

“I knew they (ARU) wouldn’t want me to do it anyway. It’s two different codes.

“If we could have teed it up, I would have loved to have played,” he said."

Could he really be coming back to the NRL / titans? Would love to see him do so...

K2G
13-02-14, 11:38 AM
Bulletin article (http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/nrl/rugby-sevens-star-shannon-walker-considers-shock-return-to-nrl/story-fnj9yd9w-1226825878212)

RUGBY Sevens star Shannon Walker is weighing up a shock *return to the NRL after the Gold Coast Titans approached their *former protege about making a cameo appearance in the Auckland Nines.

Titans hierarchy contacted Walker’s manager, Anthony *Picone, late last year to gauge the Gold Coast product’s interest in playing in this weekend’s inaugural nine-a-side league tournament.

The Australian Rugby Union, who Walker is contracted to until the end of this year, shot down the approach and refused to grant Walker a clearance to play in a rival code.

Walker would have been the third left-field player in the Nines after the Roosters and Manly *resurrected the careers of Brad *Fittler, 42, and Steve Menzies, 40.

“It would have been all right (to play the Nines), but it wasn’t the case in the end,” Walker said.

“My manager mentioned it to me, but I didn’t really think much of it.

“I knew they (ARU) wouldn’t want me to do it anyway. It’s two different codes.

“If we could have teed it up, I would have loved to have played,” he said.

Walker, a former Australian schoolboys league representative while at Palm Beach-Currumbin, shot to stardom with blistering performances in the Queensland Cup, but played just four NRL games for the Titans before switching codes in 2011.

He was regarded as the fastest player in the NRL, but failed to reach his potential because of *injury.

It took two years but Walker found his niche in the seven-man game last season, setting Cbus Super Stadium alight with scintillating performances at the 2013 Gold Coast Sevens.

At 25 and having finally had an extended run without injury, Walker realises he is nearing the peak of his career and revealed he would consider returning to the NRL in 2015 if the right offer arose.

“Sevens has been good (but) I’ve got the little one (two-year-old daughter Mylie) back up the coast which is the hardest thing for me,” he said.

“I’m contracted until the end of this year, then we’ll see what *happens.

“It’s pretty expensive to live in Sydney, especially in Manly.

“I’ll talk it through with my manager and we’ll see how we go.

“I would consider it (NRL return). It just depends on what comes up.”

Titans chief executive Graham Annesley confirmed the club had approached Walker about a Nines appearance and didn’t close the door him returning to Robina next year.

“We’ve got room in the (salary) cap for some purchases in 2015, but it’s a bit early to say,” he said.

“We’ve got a process that we go through in terms of recruitment and retention.

“He’s well regarded but whether he fits in our plans remains to be seen.”

K2G
13-02-14, 11:39 AM
Would've loved to have seen him at the 9's, if not back with the titans asap

Titanic
13-02-14, 03:25 PM
He didn't make it before why should he make it now? His 7's career is hardly a huge recommendation for the punishment of NRL 13's.

teke
13-02-14, 03:37 PM
He didn't make it before why should he make it now? His 7's career is hardly a huge recommendation for the punishment of NRL 13's.he was never given the chance to make it before. Always had old cows in presto and Rogers in front of him

Mexican titan
13-02-14, 10:14 PM
He didn't make it before why should he make it now? His 7's career is hardly a huge recommendation for the punishment of NRL 13's.

Agree. Never impresed me at any stage in the limited chances he had.

DIEHARD
14-02-14, 04:35 AM
He certainly impressed me at QCUP level. But the RU were never gonna release him for a NRL event.

teke
14-02-14, 05:41 AM
Interesting that the knights are highly rated ATM.

We all shall see soon enough

DavidBouveng
14-02-14, 01:18 PM
Speak of the devil. Shannon walker is hanging around the tea cup ride at dreamworld with his family.

TITAN PETE
14-02-14, 02:24 PM
Titans could draft a hand-picked Auckland Nines squad if the competition continues
TRAVIS MEYN GOLD COAST BULLETIN FEBRUARY 14, 2014 11:50AM
BE THE FIRST TO RESPOND

THE Gold Coast Titans will consider creating a Nines squad separate to their full-time NRL roster if the Auckland Nines develops into a more lucrative event.

The Bulletin can reveal Titans powerbrokers have discussed drafting Nines-specific players if the tournament takes off.

The inaugural nine-a-side competition will be held at Eden Park this weekend. And despite some clubs electing to rest high-profile players, it is already deemed a success.

It has created a buzz rarely seen in the NRL pre-season, which has lacked a genuine organised competition like the AFL’s NAB Challenge.

Over $2.25 million of prize money is on offer at the Auckland Nines, with the winners to collect about $500,000.

Club expenses are being covered by tournament promoter Duco Events, and a possible increase in prize money next year would add to the lure.

Titans co-owner Darryl Kelly said it would be a costly exercise to create a separate Nines squad but he backed the idea of drafting in guest players after the club unsuccessfully tried to lure Rugby Sevens star Shannon Walker.

“The possibility of guest appearances is something clubs would look at,” he said.

“It’s not like the Sevens where it’s a continuing competition. It’s a one-off.

“You wouldn’t be able to pay players enough for a one-off event. That would be the main problem.”

The Titans are one of a host of clubs that have selected their strongest available 16-man squad for the two-day competition.

Former Titans football chief Scott Sattler said he envisaged the Nines developing into rugby league’s version of cricket’s Big Bash League or Indian Premier League.

“Some clubs are a bit apprehensive but I think it’ll become like a Big Bash,” he said.

“If the prizemoney continues to climb through commercial sponsorship and interest from television, I can see clubs definitely having a Nines squad.”

Walker, an ex-Titan who switched codes in 2011, revealed yesterday he would consider returning to league. And Sattler, who signed him from Kyogle, said the 25-year-old had plenty to prove in the 13-man game.

“I still speak to Shannon and he has always stressed he loves rugby union, Sevens and all the travel but he still has that burning ambition that he needs to prove himself in rugby league,” Sattler said.

Titanic
14-02-14, 04:58 PM
The 9's draftees: Diehard, Titan Pete, C-Whiz, Toads, Teke, Coaster, Hail Sezer, David Bouveng, K2G, MT, et al ... I am sure you get the picture.

Bayside Titan
14-02-14, 05:14 PM
The 9's draftees: Diehard, Titan Pete, C-Whiz, Toads, Teke, Coaster, Hail Sezer, David Bouveng, K2G, MT, et al ... I am sure you get the picture.
Strong Team. Not sure they would fit under any sort of a Salary Cap ;-).

Mexican titan
14-02-14, 06:48 PM
Strong Team. Not sure they would fit under any sort of a Salary Cap ;-).

Not sure I would even fit in a jersey let alone a salary cap.
In relation to the clubs idea of a special 9's team wouldn't they have to change the rules. In the 9's this weekend clubs must have a certain number of their top 25 contracted players and at least one of their top 5. Not sure anyone would be interested if the team didn't contain a few players that play NRL each week. Bit like the Union 7's team - it contains players that no one has heard of and most people couldn't give a flying about it.

shamus
14-02-14, 06:55 PM

f$%!........Relegated to ball boy again! :(

Hail Sezer
14-02-14, 10:01 PM

Can I take kicks for goal?

In auckland now, city is buzzing. Big day tomorrow ;)

Titanic
15-02-14, 02:05 AM
f$%!........Relegated to ball boy again! :(
Sorry mate but I ran out of time between meetings to name everybody but included you all in "et al" so get your ar$e down to training!

DIEHARD
15-02-14, 05:28 AM
Time to set the alarm for Nines. Dream come true. I'm excited. Will check in with you guys later. Very keen to hear your views and opinions on Nines tactics.

Mt Smart
15-02-14, 06:32 AM
Perfect cloudless Auckland Morning, Got the coffee on and Bacon sizzling in the Pan.
I've got Four NRL clubs to cheer for , all of them are outside of Sydney.
The home team , Titans , Newcastle , Brisbane.
Can't wait , Feel like walking down to the Gates and waiting already !
Glad I shelved out for seats on the side Line at the half way , The Titans lads might just hear me over the din , during the quiet spells....I'll be yelling for them.

Hail Sezer
15-02-14, 07:11 AM
My goodness I am amping.

Time to get maggot yo will keep you guys updated on build up etc

Bayside Titan
15-02-14, 08:06 AM
Perfect cloudless Auckland Morning, Got the coffee on and Bacon sizzling in the Pan.
Glad I shelved out for seats on the side Line at the half way , The Titans lads might just hear me over the din , during the quiet spells....I'll be yelling for them.
Sounds like a perfect day for you. Have a great day.

TITAN PETE
15-02-14, 08:16 AM

My goodness I am amping.

Time to get maggot yo will keep you guys updated on build up etc

Very envious guys have a great day :thumbsup:

Brock O'Brien
15-02-14, 08:23 AM
I'm so keen for this comp to get under way! Even though I won't actually be going to the game but the fact that footy is finally back and we have a chance of something adds to the excitement of being able to finally put that beautiful new Titans jersey in use! Enjoy the weekend guys

Boofhead
15-02-14, 08:27 AM
Pumped! Don't want to miss a minute of the action.

Fire up boys - Hope Henry has given you guys the tools to get the job done.

:salute:

TITAN PETE
15-02-14, 08:43 AM
Pumped! Don't want to miss a minute of the action.

Fire up boys - Hope Henry has given you guys the tools to get the job done.

:salute:

I'm the same mate very excited about this comp :banana:

Some intelligent punters out there Boof the Titans have firmed into $7 to win this now :surprise:

Boofhead
15-02-14, 09:46 AM

Some intelligent punters out there Boof the Titans have firmed into $7 to win this now :surprise:

Titans are about right at the 7/8 mark, couldn't believe the overs they were offering.

We will need to ambush the Tigers and get a big win - then we will be sitting pretty.

shamus
15-02-14, 10:02 AM

Titans are about right at the 7/8 mark, couldn't believe the overs they were offering.

We will need to ambush the Tigers and get a big win - then we will be sitting pretty.

Glad I got in early...got 'em at $11.

Titanic
15-02-14, 10:16 AM
Hi guys .. it's 7.15am in Nanjing and I've half a chocolate in anticipation which nearly kept me in bed ... if you know what I mean. C'mon Titans ... show us what you've got!

Hail Sezer
15-02-14, 10:34 AM
Unreal vibes. Sun shining. Lets go

TITAN PETE
15-02-14, 10:35 AM
Time for kick off :fist:

shamus
15-02-14, 10:42 AM
Onya Taga...

shamus
15-02-14, 10:45 AM
Geez....How quick is the 9's....The fittest bloke out there will need to be the ref. How the f&%$ is he gunna keep up with play?

Maybe have interchange refs as well.. :)

TITAN PETE
15-02-14, 10:45 AM
Looks like Carney has pissed someone off already :D

TITAN PETE
15-02-14, 10:53 AM
Geez....How quick is the 9's....The fittest bloke out there will need to be the ref. How the f&%$ is he gunna keep up with play?

Maybe have interchange refs as well.. :)

I'm sure Freddy is huffing & puffing just watching

TITAN PETE
15-02-14, 10:58 AM
Let's go Titans :fist:

Titanic
15-02-14, 11:05 AM
where's the sell out crowd? good first game though.

Julius Sezer
15-02-14, 11:05 AM
GORDON SCORES!

TITAN PETE
15-02-14, 11:06 AM
Nice work Carter

Julius Sezer
15-02-14, 11:10 AM
we are burning them everywhere around the park

TITAN PETE
15-02-14, 11:10 AM
Hope the injuries are nothing but the boys look pretty good , good Defence from Don & Carter has looked very good

Hail Sezer
15-02-14, 11:11 AM
This is ****ing mad!

We looking very good on attack. Mad vibes. Crowd will come as day goes on. Very hot. Im wearing a ninja costume..looks like a poverty nighty. Haha

Brock O'Brien
15-02-14, 11:12 AM

Yeah mate we are lucky we have our speed but conversions and defence need work if we are going to compete with the others.

K2G
15-02-14, 11:12 AM
We will struggle against bigger teams. Kicking is shocking. But I can't stop smiling. Loving it

Julius Sezer
15-02-14, 11:17 AM
with the speed of the game and the speed of the players defending will be naturally tough.

Loved Alby's linebreak

Brock O'Brien
15-02-14, 11:17 AM

Yeah mate we are lucky we have our speed but conversions and defence need work if we are going to compete with the others.

Julius Sezer
15-02-14, 11:18 AM
**** no Dave Taylor injured !

Titanic
15-02-14, 11:18 AM
that first foray near their tryline showed that we have learned nothing about off-loading. Good tries though.

Brock O'Brien
15-02-14, 11:19 AM
F****k hopefully its not bad!

Boofhead
Why is DT still out there?

Hail Sezer
Defence aint ideal

Julius Sezer
15-02-14, 11:21 AM
our ball handing has been very secure

Julius Sezer
15-02-14, 11:22 AM
great win !

Hail Sezer
15-02-14, 11:24 AM
We are looking very good. Jerseys also look very good.

shamus
Why did DT go back out again?? The injury looks a little more serious now. :doh:

TITAN PETE
Excellent win little blokes are dominating so DT may not be missed as much as we think

C-Whiz
92% completion!!!

Thats pretty friggin' good! :thumbsup:

teke
Taylor gone for ages

Julius Sezer
15-02-14, 11:26 AM
Taylor gone for ages

love the optimism

teke
15-02-14, 11:28 AM
love the optimism:D took him 3 months to get back on the field u would think its that again

Titan68
15-02-14, 11:29 AM
Great Start Boys , PLEASE keep it going. What's the latest on the coal train

Titanic
15-02-14, 11:32 AM
stealing the ball seems to be go ... otherwise I really liked Carter, Tighe, KFFL and Likiliki of the new guys.

gothabull
15-02-14, 11:50 AM
Great to see some footy and this competion is awsome hope broncos lose here

Titanic
15-02-14, 12:08 PM
lol ... Ennis is such an ar$e I couldn't support the Dogs

Hail Sezer
15-02-14, 12:13 PM
Break time or something

Toads
15-02-14, 12:15 PM
Anyone know where a bloke can find the results. Replays would be even better, as I missed our first game this mornin'. :frown:

Squinter98
15-02-14, 12:17 PM
Anyone know where a bloke can find the results. Replays would be even better, as I missed our first game this mornin'. :frown:

http://www.nrl.com/game-2-wests-tigers-v-titans/tabid/10874/newsid/76073/default.aspx

Titanic
15-02-14, 12:21 PM
you can watch it retro at livestream

Hail Sezer
15-02-14, 12:31 PM
Strong warriors fans presence as expected. SJ is having a field day

teke
15-02-14, 12:35 PM
Shaun jeezey all day. !!!

gothabull
15-02-14, 12:35 PM
lol ... Ennis is such an ar$e I couldn't support the Dogs

True he's a grub but just want to hurt donkeys feelings that's all

Hail Sezer
15-02-14, 12:39 PM
True he's a grub but just want to hurt donkeys feelings that's all

Broncos were welcomed by a huge boo from the crowd haha

gothabull
15-02-14, 12:40 PM
Warriors are kicking ass

Titanic
15-02-14, 12:44 PM
Tomkins too small? Lol Searle ... how did we miss him?

Toads
15-02-14, 12:47 PM
http://www.nrl.com/game-2-wests-tigers-v-titans/tabid/10874/newsid/76073/default.aspx

you can watch it retro at livestream

Cheers, Gentlemen. :thumbsup:

TITAN PETE
15-02-14, 12:48 PM
Tomkins too small? Lol Searle ... how did we miss him?

Dave May will have a big smile on his face

Hail Sezer
15-02-14, 01:01 PM
Lots of people here opting to cruise around the inside areas of the stadium instead of in the stands. Escaping the heat and showing off costumes etc

Titanic
15-02-14, 01:20 PM
show us your dress-up

TITAN PETE
15-02-14, 01:21 PM
Titans open Nines account by taming Tigers

Sat 15th February, 10:53AM A A

The iSelect Gold Coast Titans have made a mouth-watering opening to the Dick Smith NRL Auckland Nines with a 22-7 win over the Wests Tigers.

Boasting a 92 per cent completion rate, there was plenty for the Titans squad circa 2014 and coach John Cartwright to smile about under sunny NZ skies.

The only concern surrounds a leg injury to goliath Dave Taylor, who started this tournament in the same steam-rolling fashion he ended the 2013 NRL season.

Immediately after the game coach John Cartwright reported that Taylor appeared to be suffering from a bad cork and would be an unlikely starter for the remainder of the tournament.

That prognosis, while disappointing, is better than the initial fears of a calf injury.

Cartwright was particularly happy with his team’s defence, which leaked just the one try. He was also rapt with Taylor’s involvement and the club’s speedsters, who cut the Tigers apart on the edges.

The Titans embraced all that is great about the NRL’s pre-season extravaganza – attack, attack attack.

Their five tries to one was an indication of how comprehensive their opening performance was.

With just 70 seconds on the clock Titans fans thought their account was about to open when speedster Albert Kelly intercepted close to his own line. However his raid downfield ended just before the tryline.

The points did come just over two minutes later with winger Kevin Gordon teasing the outside defence with a try in the corner from a good Taylor bust and David Mead pass.

Taylor made an imprint moments later which led to the Titans second try - to club newcomer Paul Carter.

There was little time for fans to digest that before David Mead scored wide out after a break from another Gold Coast new face - Brad Tighe.

With drop kicks the only form of conversion, there were no extras to the first three tries and the Titans went to the break up 12-0.

The Tigers wrestled momentum back with a try early in the second half to flyer James Tedesco. However the reply was swift with another club debutante Siuatonga Likiliki barging over, with Kelly adding the first successful conversion to put the Titans up 18-7.

In the shadows of fulltime William Zillman flicked a sneaky backhander to give Kalifa Faifai Loa a narrow passge to the line – and the Titans their opening scoreline - 22-7.

Coach Cartwright was especially impressed with his team’s defence.

“Our focus has been our defence. Even the one they scored they had to work really hard for,’’ he said.

“We have some good speed and power. Dave (Taylor) was unstoppable when he was out there. But the whole game goes so quick. There is no room for structure You have to rely on the skill and the vision of the players who are out there.

“I was very happy with that first game. It is warm. Our defence was great. If we keep doing that we will win more than we lose.”

The Titans next clash in the Nines will be this afternoon at 1.45pm (Gold Coast time) versus the Newcastle Knights, who lost the tournament opener 15-12 to the Sharks.

Squads:

Titans

William Zillman, Brad Tighe, David Mead, Kevin Gordon, Albert Kelly, Greg Bird, Ashley Harrison, Anthony Don, Paul Carter, Kalifa Faifai Loa, Brad Takairangi, Mark Minichiello, Maurice Blair, Luke Bailey, Siuatonga Likiliki, David Taylor.

Wests Tigers

James Tedesco, Pat Richards, Bodene Thompson, Marika Koroibete, Mitchell Moses, Blake Austin, Aaron Woods, Robbie Farah (c), Martin Taupau, Cory Paterson, Curtis Sironen, Adam Blair, Manaia Cherrington, Kurtis Rowe, James Gavet, Ben Murdoch-Masila (17th Man: Delouise Hoeter).

teke
15-02-14, 01:27 PM
Lots of people here opting to cruise around the inside areas of the stadium instead of in the stands. Escaping the heat and showing off costumes etcwhat costume u parading?

Cpt Crash

Hail Sezer
15-02-14, 01:38 PM
what costume u parading?

Cpt Crash

Shoosh you.

Ill be on the news in nz tonight. Will post pics also

Hail Sezer
15-02-14, 01:42 PM
http://s12.postimg.org/g7ob91yop/IMG_20140215_120133.jpg?noCache=1392432117

Look for me lads

Hail Sezer
15-02-14, 01:45 PM
I give up trying to upload from mobile

teke
15-02-14, 01:53 PM
http://s12.postimg.org/g7ob91yop/IMG_20140215_120133.jpg?noCache=1392432117

Look for me ladsis that latex u are wearing

Hail Sezer
15-02-14, 02:09 PM
is that latex u are wearing

I sense a jealous tone in your typing my boy ;)

Mexican titan
15-02-14, 02:40 PM
This tigers win against the Sharks should be a good result for us.

Titanic
15-02-14, 02:55 PM
don't like what I'm watching here ... reminiscent of past years

TITAN PETE
15-02-14, 02:59 PM
Spill the Pill seems to be the go here :(

lonegull
15-02-14, 03:01 PM
don't like what I'm watching here ... reminiscent of past years

Yep nothing has changed even though it's nines 4 hit up from forwards and a kick what a joke they are playing nines and still can't attack long season I think

shamus
1 win each in our group.....

Titanic
I have to say that Minichiello should not be let near the 13's team this year.

teke
15-02-14, 03:03 PM
I have to say that Minichiello should not be let near the 13's team this year.mini :laugh:

Shouldn't be let near the ball

TITAN PETE
15-02-14, 03:08 PM
I have to say that Minichiello should not be let near the 13's team this year.

Yes never

mini :laugh:

Shouldn't be let near the ball

Yes never ever

Mexican titan
Yep nothing has changed even though it's nines 4 hit up from forwards and a kick what a joke they are playing nines and still can't attack long season I think

And Kevin Gordon coming in and leaving his wing.

Titanic
well that was riveting ... was Zillman on the field?

Boofhead
15-02-14, 03:09 PM
Bloody Minichiello...

shamus
15-02-14, 03:11 PM
If we continue to play like that I have blown my money. Only good thing is a win a piece in our group.

Knights +8
Titans +4
Sharks -3
Tigers -9

mdrew
15-02-14, 03:12 PM
That was disappointing will not help with confidence

Hail Sezer
15-02-14, 03:13 PM
**** off knights

Mexican titan
15-02-14, 03:20 PM
**** off knights

Is the DB taking effect. Are they good old glass stubbies people are having there or is it plastic bottles.

Hail Sezer
15-02-14, 03:28 PM
Is the DB taking effect. Are they good old glass stubbies people are having there or is it plastic bottles.

Plastic man. They just recently limited it to 1 beer per person each purchase.

Titan68
15-02-14, 03:29 PM
Geez that was disappointing , really hope it's not a sign of things to come.

Mexican titan
15-02-14, 03:35 PM
Plastic man. They just recently limited it to 1 beer per person each purchase.

What spoil sports. Oh well I am drinking from glass here but I might head over for this next year. Looks a good thing to be at.

teke
15-02-14, 03:41 PM
And Kevin Gordon coming in and leaving his wing.why wouldn't he come in, Bird was scratching to get across which gave kev no confidence. Bird gets up once again giving one of his players a spray :rolleyes:

Mexican titan
15-02-14, 04:01 PM
why wouldn't he come in, Bird was scratching to get across which gave kev no confidence. Bird gets up once again giving one of his players a spray :rolleyes:

He came in twice where the inside player had covered the bloke with the ball and all they had to do was pass to an unmarked BJ Lailua who scored untouched twice. Just stay on your wing FFS.
Anyway I guess it's Nines and it's too early in the season to be having a serious discussion based on this tournament.

Boonarga
15-02-14, 04:40 PM
Huh? You can't give a penalty try if a try is actually scored!
Unless there's a new rule I've missed.

Boofhead
15-02-14, 04:49 PM
For anyone who missed it, DT corked his knee - no structural damage.

I don't know guys, think we have done our money. Even if we do beat the Sharks, the Warriors look unstoppable.

Mexican titan
15-02-14, 04:53 PM

I don't know guys, think we have done our money. Even if we do beat the Sharks, the Warriors look unstoppable.

Thanks forthe DT update. Yeah I think the Titans have little chance especially with DT now out of it. I had a saver on the Broncs and they looked good in the first game but not so hot in their second.
Warriors V Knights in the final?

TITAN PETE
15-02-14, 04:57 PM

They do mate but they did have 83% of the ball in the 2nd half

Titanic
15-02-14, 05:02 PM
Warriors have a habit of imploding ... not sure if it's over just yet ... Rabbits have bit to offer too.

teke
15-02-14, 05:18 PM
Just hold onto the ball and titans are in with a chance......to come 2nd behind warriors

Boofhead
15-02-14, 06:21 PM
Todd Carney out.

Hail Sezer
15-02-14, 07:53 PM
Auckland is cash. Come over next year boys.

Farewell until tomorrow, sober I am no more

Boofhead
15-02-14, 08:45 PM
I must say guys... I haven't been so excited about league in a long time.

Best thing to happen to the game for a long time.

K2G
15-02-14, 08:59 PM
Excerpt from courier mail story;

The prognosis on Taylor was not as grim. The Titans hulk failed to finish his opening game against the Tigers after twice taking knocks to his right knee, but tests showed the damage was not structural.

“I copped a cork on the teardrop and it was a bit tender,” Taylor said. “It was quite sore. I will have a look at it and find out what’s wrong.”

Titans assistant coach Neil Henry hopes overnight treatment will enable Taylor to play on Sunday.

“He is improving but we will have to make a call on him in the morning,” he said. “We’ll see how he pulls up overnight, he’s had ice on it and been stretching so we’ll see how he goes.”

Titanic
15-02-14, 08:59 PM
I assume you are not talking about HS's state of inebriation although he may write himself into the record books tonight :) but I do agree that the whole event played out much better than I had imagined.

Some thoughts: I would have liked to have seen the crowd engaged more. HS can tell us about that but it seemed that breaks between games were an opportunity to do some stuff like NBA-style Dance-Offs between supporter groups, etc. Some major performance at the half-way mark after the first round.

Really enjoyed it though, particularly after such an hiatus of no footy.

Ausphin
15-02-14, 09:06 PM
I assume you are not talking about HS's state of inebriation although he may write himself into the record books tonight :) but I do agree that the whole event played out much better than I had imagined.

Some thoughts: I would have liked to have seen the crowd engaged more. HS can tell us about that but it seemed that breaks between games were an opportunity to do some stuff like NBA-style Dance-Offs between supporter groups, etc. Some major performance at the half-way mark after the first round.

Really enjoyed it though, particularly after such an hiatus of no footy.
I think it was Vossy that mentioned it in commentary, and others might think it corny, but i wouldn't mind the idea of a match race with a player from each club or even a relay like we used to have or the afl had in their gf day.

Titanic
15-02-14, 09:09 PM
I think it was Vossy that mentioned it in commentary, and others might think it corny, but i wouldn't mind the idea of a match race with a player from each club or even a relay like we used to have or the afl had in their gf day.
Totally agree, the spirit of the event is just crying out for a wet t-shirt, dwarf-throwing or pass the ball comp.

Ausphin
15-02-14, 09:18 PM
Not sure about the dwarf stuff after the St Kilda mad monday problem last year. ;)

Titanic
15-02-14, 09:22 PM
Not sure about the dwarf stuff after the St Kilda mad monday problem last year. ;)
Hangi-eating, beer drinking ... and I think the streaker must have been unable to find a taxi.

DavidBouveng
15-02-14, 09:57 PM
Thoughts on the nines.

* Johnson and tomkins are going to be a great combo. One half of it almost signed with us.

* tighe was greatly underrated by most of us when news broke that he had been effectively traded to us. Live his efforts and drive to compete. Looks a pro.

* fai fai loa could be the best back up winger we have had. Would be good to squeeze him in somewhere. Adds something.

*gordon looks in the best shape I've ever seen him. Good combo of strong but fast. Like a less angry Steve Matai.

*Ricky Stuart has brought his **** with him to the raiders.very close to Spoon time for them and the myth of Ricky Stuart as a coach might finally wither and die.

*that Mamo kid from knights looks decent. And they ran close to the best shapes I saw all day. In both there games they went straight. Then long ball to centres who burnt gas towards the magical spot where the inside defense had to scream across and the winger had to hold... They did it well.

*big names don't mean a lot in this. Good young fast robust bodies with a playmaker or two is plenty.

*It seemed like a long day. Can't see how u could make it shorter, bit by the last few I was less interested.

Great day though. Hope we go well in morning.

Ausphin
15-02-14, 10:14 PM
Agree about Tighe. Was shocked when the Jamal thing went down, but Tighe is impressive and at the end of this, we might have got the better of the deal, as well as freeing up heaps of cash.

Will be interested how we go tomorrow. As individually brilliant as Alby is, he is not the creative half like Pearce,Carney or Mullen, setting up his outside players. real shame Sezer wasn't avaiable.

teke
15-02-14, 10:39 PM
Thoughts on the nines.

* Johnson and tomkins are going to be a great combo. One half of it almost signed with us.

* tighe was greatly underrated by most of us when news broke that he had been effectively traded to us. Live his efforts and drive to compete. Looks a pro.

* fai fai loa could be the best back up winger we have had. Would be good to squeeze him in somewhere. Adds something.

*gordon looks in the best shape I've ever seen him. Good combo of strong but fast. Like a less angry Steve Matai.

*Ricky Stuart has brought his **** with him to the raiders.very close to Spoon time for them and the myth of Ricky Stuart as a coach might finally wither and die.

*that Mamo kid from knights looks decent. And they ran close to the best shapes I saw all day. In both there games they went straight. Then long ball to centres who burnt gas towards the magical spot where the inside defense had to scream across and the winger had to hold... They did it well.

*big names don't mean a lot in this. Good young fast robust bodies with a playmaker or two is plenty.

*It seemed like a long day. Can't see how u could make it shorter, bit by the last few I was less interested.

Great day though. Hope we go well in morning.You just compared Gordon to Matai :laugh:

Surely you only meant the corn rows

Supergoose
15-02-14, 10:44 PM
KFFL and Likiliki looked the goods. Blair and Tighe not so much, particularly in the first game (all I've seen so far).

Shame we didn't have Sezer or James on board. Agree that Mini shouldn't be anywhere near first grade this year. Looking toward to Ridge stepping up to a new level. I'm not sure either Blair or Tighe should start as our centres with Taka, KFFL and Likiliki all seemingly offering more at this stage.

DIEHARD
16-02-14, 01:35 AM
I must say guys... I haven't been so excited about league in a long time.

I agree, it's perfect to hit the ground running and not have a soft launch to the season with trials. Bring all the teams to one place and they all play. It's exciting.

I still have a few games to catch up on, havent seen the Warriors at all but Im excited to hear people's views. I hope they tear it up and win it if we dont.

I was pretty happy with the Titans in the first game, was surprised to lose to the Knights. New guys look good, Tighe and Likiliki.

I think the Nines has gotten off to a flying start and Im gonna keep watching the games that I missed earlier.

I loved the extra attention the camera gave the crowd, something we should have been doing for years in the NRL. I agree with Titanic that there needs to be even more crowd participation, its a long day. I really appreciate everyone dressing up, great costume HS!

I think now we have a day under our belt we will see some firmer tactics emerge tomorrow and lead into the Finals.

DIEHARD
16-02-14, 07:27 AM
The Auckland Nines day 2 kick-offs at 10am (AEDT). The draw for today is:

Game 17 - 10am: Sharks v Titans
Game 18 - 10.25am: Knights v Tigers
Game 19 - 10.50am: Roosters v Bulldogs
Game 20 - 11.15am: Eels v Broncos
Game 21 - 11.45am: Warriors v Cowboys
Game 22 - 12.10pm: Raiders v Sea Eagles
Game 23 - 12.35pm: Storm v Dragons
Game 24 - 1pm: Panthers v Rabbitohs

QF1 - 1.30pm: 1st in Pool Blue v 2nd in Pool Green
QF2 - 1.55pm: 1st in Pool Green v 2nd in Pool Blue
QF3 - 2.20pm: 1st in Pool Yellow v 2nd in Pool Red
QF4 - 2.45pm: 1st in Pool Red v 2nd in Pool Yellow
SF1 - 3.45pm: Winner of QF 1 v Winner of QF 2
SF2 - 4.10pm Winner of QF 3 v Winner of QF 4
Final - 5.30pm: Winner of SF 1 v Winner of SF 2

POOL YELLOW POOL GREEN POOL BLUE POOL RED
1. Warriors 1. Roosters 1. Sharks 1. Storm
2. Raiders 2. Eels 2. Knights 2. Panthers
3. Sea Eagles 3. Broncos 3. Tigers 3. Rabbitohs
4. Cowboys 4. Bulldogs 4. Titans 4. Dragons

Hail Sezer
16-02-14, 07:42 AM
Well im still alive

Some notes on yesterday:

It was hot. So hot. They needed better systems in place so that sunblock was more accessible.

Main difference between this and 7s is that the crowd here actually wants to watch the footy. There were plenty of non warriors fans but obviously the majority were supporting the warriors. And for that reason im hoping the warriors do well..to hold the crowd numbers.

Ill write more later, any questions or anything just ask. Will get photos today too.

Heading off soon, rocking meadys training singlet (courtesy of teke). Woo

DIEHARD
16-02-14, 08:03 AM
Well im still alive

Some notes on yesterday:

It was hot. So hot. They needed better systems in place so that sunblock was more accessible.

Main difference between this and 7s is that the crowd here actually wants to watch the footy. There were plenty of non warriors fans but obviously the majority were supporting the warriors. And for that reason im hoping the warriors do well..to hold the crowd numbers.

Ill write more later, any questions or anything just ask. Will get photos today too.

Heading off soon, rocking meadys training singlet (courtesy of teke). Woo

Hell yea. Have fun mate. Thanks for the report. I can imagine the heat was pretty intense. Free sunblock and water for all I say. We need to keep the supporters healthy and happy.

DIEHARD
16-02-14, 08:05 AM
I get sad because the Bulldogs monstrosity Blue and Gold jersey reminds me sometimes of the South Queensland Crushers jersey. :/

TITAN PETE
16-02-14, 08:08 AM
Pool Blue: All up for grabs
By Tony Webeck
NRL.com
7:40am Sun 16th February, 2014

They may be sitting on the bottom of Pool Blue after day one but Wests Tigers skipper Robbie Farah is confident that his side can upset the Knights in the second game of day two and secure their place in the quarter-finals.

The so-called 'group of death' lived up to its name on day one with all four teams registering one win and one loss apiece, the Tigers' inferior for-and-against placing them at the foot of the group ahead of the third round of matches.

Quite simply, the winners of the Sharks-Titans and Knights-Tigers matches will progress to the knockout phase of the tournament and Farah believes with the likes of James Tedesco, Marika Koroibete and Mitchell Moses they are capable of beating anyone.

"Second game was an improvement so we're looking to improve again tomorrow," Farah said. "I thought we played pretty well there, we've got a bit of speed out wide, young 'Teddy' is playing awesome so we give ourselves a chance."

Knights half Tyrone Roberts scored the opening try of the tournament in his side's loss to the Sharks but said their win over the Titans was built on greater respect for possession.

"It's all about competing. The ball's going to get thrown around so you've go to keep shutting it down. I think you've just got to hold onto the ball and the success will come.

"It was just more giving them opportunities in our own half. We were guilty of that in the first game and we just minimised our errors which was good for us."

Much of the Titans chances of progressing will depend on the availability of Dave Taylor. Taylor copped a knock to his knee in the opening game against the Sharks and will be assessed in the morning before a decision is made on whether he will play on day two.

Albert Kelly was the star for the Titans in their win over the Tigers and teammate David Mead said the format is perfectly suited to Kelly's attacking style of play.

"He certainly does bring a lot of confidence even in the 13-man game but in the nine-man game he can show even more of what he's got, which is very exciting for him," Mead said.

Pool Blue: Knights 2 (+10), Titans 2 (+4), Sharks 2 (-5), Wests Tigers 2 (-9)

Skyfire
16-02-14, 08:10 AM
Kill em Titans, we can do it!!!

TITAN PETE
16-02-14, 08:16 AM
If we beat the sharks looks like we get our 1st chance at Bashing the Donkeys this year in the 1st semi ...:fist:

kevrab
16-02-14, 08:56 AM
If we beat the sharks looks like we get our 1st chance at Bashing the Donkeys this year in the 1st semi ...:fist:

They would have to beat the eels. Eels seem to be playing some good footy off the back of chris sandow. I have a feeling that it will be the eels and the roosters that progress here.

DIEHARD
16-02-14, 09:12 AM
Sharks ey, pay back for beating us in Round 1 last year. Bring it on, let's knock em out.

TITAN PETE
16-02-14, 09:16 AM
Sharks ey, pay back for beating us in Round 1 last year. Bring it on, let's knock em out.

Beat them this morning & beat them again in 2 weeks time :D

DIEHARD
16-02-14, 09:24 AM
Not long now until kick off, about 30mins am I right?

Ryan
16-02-14, 09:42 AM
Sorry I'm late to the party, busy day yesterday, could not tune in, and forgot to set the recorder. I managed to record the replay on fox last night though.

Flicking through my recording now and they did not replay Titans vs Tigers???
Anyone know why? :(

Hail Sezer
16-02-14, 09:43 AM
Not long now until kick off, about 30mins am I right?

Yeah kickoff midday here. In titans new away jersey instead of singlet..sun smart yo

DIEHARD
16-02-14, 09:43 AM
Watching the LIVE coverage of Day 2 now.

No idea why they'd leave out our game Ryan. Oversight?

DIEHARD
16-02-14, 09:44 AM
Tell us about yesterday's streaker HS.

I hope there is big prizes and alot of them for the costunes. People have gone to alot of time and expense.

TITAN PETE
16-02-14, 09:46 AM
No mention of Taylor's injury this morning that's a plus

Boofhead
16-02-14, 09:49 AM
First cab off the rank - come on boys!

DIEHARD
First cab off the rank - come on boys!

Thankfully we dont have to wait long!

K2G
No mention of Taylor's injury this morning that's a plus

TAB guy just said Taylor won't play first game this morning...

DIEHARD
16-02-14, 09:56 AM
Good to see the Mexicans are back on deck for Day 2.

DIEHARD
16-02-14, 10:00 AM
Group of Death. Let's rock!

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/c/ce/Aliens_2007.jpg/600px-Aliens_2007.jpg

DIEHARD
16-02-14, 10:01 AM
Taga scores.... for the Sharks. Not a good start. Not a 5 pointer though.