DIEHARD
27-07-13, 09:34 PM
Sun 04 Aug 2013 3pm

mdrew
27-07-13, 09:34 PM
watch Bodene Thompson tear us apart

DIEHARD
27-07-13, 09:35 PM
Surely we will get a win here. Gotta be the closest thing to a giveme. Then again... :/

Injuries will be a big factor.

teke
27-07-13, 09:47 PM
Bunj 18 titans 12.

TITAN PETE
27-07-13, 10:30 PM
Couldn't give a Shyte , season is over

mdrew
27-07-13, 10:32 PM
Agreed will not be bothering, not worth the emotional investment

GCTitans
27-07-13, 11:12 PM
I was given free tickets for this game and just gave them away. It's just not worth it.

DIEHARD
28-07-13, 09:42 AM
Wow. Really depressing to hear that. But it is entirely understandable.

DIEHARD
28-07-13, 10:27 AM
Could be an embarrassing crowd. Wests Tigers aren't big drawers. They don't travel or have a motivation to travel on current form. We won't have Souths fans to mask our crowd.

shamus
28-07-13, 10:57 AM
Could be an embarrassing crowd. Wests Tigers aren't big drawers. They don't travel or have a motivation to travel on current form. We won't have Souths fans to mask our crowd.

Searle might do a 'Palmer' and close half the stadium. :D Any crowd expected below 5,000 you don't pay for cops or council to organise traffic. :p

Sunday arvo game. There will be a lot of Titans members thinking of other places they could be.. 5,000 maybe pushing it! :ugh:

Hey Tam, how come only a percentage of my Emoticons work, Any idea?

Titanic
28-07-13, 12:34 PM
Hey Tam, how come only a percentage of my Emoticons work, Any idea?
me too

Julius Sezer
28-07-13, 01:27 PM
not worth my valuable time

Smakked
28-07-13, 03:00 PM
Going to be hard to get motivation to go to this game. will wait and see what happens, but i doubt i will show

Mr Stupid
28-07-13, 04:22 PM
Going to be hard to get motivation to go to this game. will wait and see what happens, but i doubt i will show

I'm going because I don't want last night to possibly be the last Titans game we go to.

teke
29-07-13, 06:18 AM
Tigers have a 66% chance of winning this game

Tamwelg
29-07-13, 07:55 AM
me too

I'll get it fixed. Thanks guys.

Supergoose
29-07-13, 10:20 PM
I'll be going. This was my first season as a Titans season pass holder. I won't be renewing but I will be seeing out the season. It doesn't suit me to be at every home game, I'll pick and choose a couple of games next season.

Very disappointed how this season turned out. There were many games at the start of the year that we dropped that we couldn't afford to. Sharks, Broncos x 2, Knights to name a few. Was always going to be tough. Here's hoping we can notch a few wins and finish the year off okay. Our best 17 could compete with anyone, but our depth was sadly lacking.

thelwall
30-07-13, 01:09 PM
Mead, Harrison in positional switch
Adam Gardini
Tuesday 30 July 2013 1:00 PM

Mead, Harrison in positional switch
The iSelect Gold Coast Titans have today named David Mead at fullback and Ashley Harrison at five-eighth in a reshuffled line-up for Sunday’s clash against the Wests Tigers at Skilled Park.
iSelect Titans Coach John Cartwright today named Mead at fullback in place of Jordan Rankin, while Harrison switches to five-eighth with Aidan Sezer moving to halfback in the absence of the injured Albert Kelly (sternum).
In other team changes, hooker Beau Falloon replaces the injured Matt Srama (ankle) in the starting No.9 jersey while Luke Douglas slots in at starting prop in the absence of Luke Bailey (ankle).
After scoring four tries for the Burleigh Bears on Saturday, winger Anthony Don fills the spot left vacant by Mead on the wing while forwards Ryan James and Luke O'Dwyer have been added to the interchange bench along with hooker Sam Irwin.
Fullback William Zillman remains sidelined with a niggling groin injury.

iSelect Titans vs Tigers
Sunday, August 4
3pm, Skilled Park
1 David Mead
2 Kevin Gordon
3 Brad Takairangi
4 Jamie Dowling
5 Anthony Don
6 Ashley Harrison
7 Aidan Sezer
8 Luke Douglas
9 Beau Falloon
10 Nate Myles
11 Ben Ridge
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Greg Bird
Interchange
14 David Taylor
15 Ryan James
16 Luke O'Dwyer
17 Sam Irwin

Titans NYC vs Tigers NYC
1 Jahrome Hughes
2 Matt Russell
3 Rian Diffey
4 Hymel Hunt
5 Jared Teo
6 Matthew Beddow
7 Kane Elgey
8 Caleb Binge
9 Zach Friend
10 Mitchell Hall
11 Sam Gee
12 Oliver Percy
13 Kyle McConnell
Interchange
14 Francis Vekusio
15 Mitch Sharp
16 Jack Durheim
17 Tom Rowles
18 Jackson Clarke
Coach Jamie O’Connor

teke
30-07-13, 01:19 PM
Probably one of the worst teams of the year but I'm a happy man

Mr Stupid
30-07-13, 01:22 PM
Harrison into the halves lol

teke
30-07-13, 01:26 PM
Harrison into the halves lolgotta be a gee up. Rankin could have fit nicely in there.

Griff0
30-07-13, 01:28 PM
Mead at fullback! thats 2 lots of good news today

thelwall
30-07-13, 01:28 PM
bird at 13 and mead at 1 im fooking stokeddddddddddd

Griff0
30-07-13, 01:30 PM
What about DT at 5/8

DIEHARD
30-07-13, 02:01 PM
Mead at 1 and Bird at 13 is good. Both Ash into 5/8th? We have been there done that. Im sure he will put in a tradesman performance. And the injuries may just make this winnable game out of reach.

Titanic
30-07-13, 02:37 PM
Harrison was ditched as 5/8 when he still had some zip at the Rabbitohs ... he hasn't passed the ball in the last 5 years why should we think he will start now? Mead ok at 1 and Bird at last gets his rightful jersey but the bench couldn't be much worse ... a flatulent Taylor, a recalcitrant James, a stagnant O'Dwyer and the evanescent Irwin.

Titan Dad
30-07-13, 02:52 PM
JAMES had to come into the seriously depleted side for sheer size.

Mead to fullback...Hallelujah.

Harrison to 5/8... Jury is out on this one.(Benji will eat HARRO with his speed and I feel this could be the channel the Tigers really try and exploit.)

So as I see it we are going with DOUGLAS, JAMES, and Nate in the front row.

Have we not learned yet. We should be going with 4 front rowers to try and steamroll the small Tigers pack. I feel Carty has played into the hands of the Tigers with the named side and this is now a game that we could easily loose due to the unorthadox positional changes.

Or...Do we only have the 3 named Front Rowers left in our depth, or lack of it..:(

DIEHARD
30-07-13, 03:15 PM
Looks like Willy Zlater may be a late inclusion if he is fit...

Griff0
30-07-13, 03:28 PM
Looks like Willy Zlater may be a late inclusion if he is fit...

hopefully not at fullback

ozynorts
30-07-13, 03:50 PM
How loud will the shouts be for JC to go if we lose this one?????????

Titanic
30-07-13, 03:56 PM
No louder than they have been here for three very long and frustrating years :(

Mr Stupid
30-07-13, 03:59 PM

The reaction on Facebook to the team announcement today is just a taster...

TITAN PETE
30-07-13, 04:08 PM

I don't think it will be "if" but more to the point of how much we'll lose by, will be happy to miss this one :?)

Toads
30-07-13, 04:20 PM
The reaction on Facebook to the team announcement today is just a taster...

I wonder how long it'll take before they'll shut down or walk away from their own Facebook page. :p

They didn't seem to have any qualms shedding us in an instant.

Hail Sezer
30-07-13, 04:49 PM
My comments on the fb team announcement have already been deleted

DIEHARD
30-07-13, 06:29 PM
hopefully not at fullback

Or 5/8th!

mdrew
30-07-13, 06:43 PM
If we have been predictable so far this year, look out, Harrison is not a 5/8.

Smakked
30-07-13, 07:17 PM
Tigers by 30 easy on this one

Mexican titan
30-07-13, 08:00 PM
Now that our year is done I am almost at the point where I hope we lose so that the heat on the coaching staff gets more intense.
Sad really.

teke
30-07-13, 08:03 PM
Now that our year is done I am almost at the point where I hope we lose so that the heat on the coaching staff gets more intense.
Sad really.i was at this pt many weeks ago.

Even made a few cheeky dollars betting the same way

Supergoose
30-07-13, 08:04 PM
I'm reckoning that Zillman will come into 5/8 but that will be every bit as disastrous. Zillman and Sezer both run the left side. I don't reckon Harrison will play 5/8 at all. Maybe taking the heat off Zillman or perhaps Dowling.

DavidBouveng
30-07-13, 08:10 PM
was gonna skip this game and take the family out, but meady in the 1 has turned my mind. not feeling good about it though.

ash is a poor choice at 6... no other way to say it. rankin didnt catch well last night, but otherwise he contributed well and fought well... give him a shot, dont just discard him. if des hasler / kev moore left barba out everytime he dropped one in the early days we may never have seen what hes become (not for a second saying rankin could be barba.)

we played good early in the year when we MONSTERED ppl with size then went wide with jamma and kelly and mead, now we have almost abandoned it to fill our team with second rowers....we get it Carty you were a great back rower and you think they are all paul harrogon / brad fittler / gene miles rolled into one.

on a sick level, i like this because it shows how far out of touch he is.

karnage
30-07-13, 10:29 PM
i was at this pt many weeks ago.

Even made a few cheeky dollars betting the same way

Souths -7.5 was very easy money last week and if you are quick (it's Tuesday night as I type this) you can still back the Tigers at $1.90 (with most corporates) getting a 4 point start (ie Tigers +4). It looks a pretty decent wager.

karnage
30-07-13, 10:37 PM
What has been overlooked by everybody on here with their satisfaction for Mead being picked at number 1, is that Cartwright has now managed to select three different players at Fullback in the three weeks that Zillman has missed.

Go back to some threads from the wooden spoon year and have a look how annoyed we got with constant chopping and changing.

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

I've got to take exception to the people 'giving up' on 2013. Such statements make you sound like 'fans' rather than 'supporters'. I realise there are some deeper issues in individual cases but every team in the history of RL has been where we are now. Parramatta, the Wests Tigers and St George are there right now!!!

We need to keep putting the pressure on the local media to start reporting the reality and not the airy fairy stories that keep filling the paper. Every time I see a story by Emma Greenwood I want to vomit!!! Change will come, Carty will go and maybe (just maybe...!!) Searle will go too (wishful thinking, sure). If you stay the trip the other side will be so much sweeter. (I'm thinking of Aragorn's speech before the Black Gates of Mordor as I write this)

If you can get to the game turn up, even if it's just to abuse Dave Taylor!!:D

karnage
30-07-13, 10:45 PM
Just one last thing on the halves selection. It is absolutely imperative that a team have MORE THAN ONE KICKER IN GENERAL PLAY!!! With Bird, Harrision or Zillman in the halves it leaves all the kicking to Sezar which is a recipe for disaster with the opposition sweating on him at the end of every set.

Over the summer the team need to put hundreds of hours into Srama's kicking so he can add a much needed element to our kicking game. Matt Ballin has become a kicker late in his career and Manly are much the better for it./

Toads
30-07-13, 11:23 PM
The thing is, I couldn't slightest **** to what other clubs have gone through, or are going through. My only concern is how this Club, that was built on the idea that it was for the Gold Coast and greater Community. And yet every season, it's getting screwed over by the same person calling the shots.

I ask you, karnage. How can anyone genuinely be a "Fan" or a "Supporter" of this rot? Seven years on, 'n nothing has changed. You'd have to have rocks in your head to continually support what's going on. *shrugs*

Steve
31-07-13, 06:15 AM
What has been overlooked by everybody on here with their satisfaction for Mead being picked at number 1, is that Cartwright has now managed to select three different players at Fullback in the three weeks that Zillman has missed.

Go back to some threads from the wooden spoon year and have a look how annoyed we got with constant chopping and changing.

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

I've got to take exception to the people 'giving up' on 2013. Such statements make you sound like 'fans' rather than 'supporters'. I realise there are some deeper issues in individual cases but every team in the history of RL has been where we are now. Parramatta, the Wests Tigers and St George are there right now!!!

We need to keep putting the pressure on the local media to start reporting the reality and not the airy fairy stories that keep filling the paper. Every time I see a story by Emma Greenwood I want to vomit!!! Change will come, Carty will go and maybe (just maybe...!!) Searle will go too (wishful thinking, sure). If you stay the trip the other side will be so much sweeter. (I'm thinking of Aragorn's speech before the Black Gates of Mordor as I write this)

If you can get to the game turn up, even if it's just to abuse Dave Taylor!!:D

I agree on two points. Rankin has now been dumped and probably won't see the light of day at the Titans again, he's the scapegoat. Cartwright wants to talk about confidence, well he's just destroyed one kid's.

And you're right, a supporter sticks through thick and thin. There's ups and downs. You can be angry and upset, you can rage and rant, but you don't walk away from your team. A team is bigger than a coach, bigger than administration, and (if they admin don't destroy the team) will be around a lot longer.

That said, making yourself heard with your feet and your wallet is one of the few ways to get your point across. If someone feels they need to not attend games, so be it. If someone feels they need to go support the bunnies now, well they were only ever on the bandwagon.

Steve
31-07-13, 06:16 AM
I ask you, karnage. How can anyone genuinely be a "Fan" or a "Supporter" of this rot? Seven years on, 'n nothing has changed. You'd have to have rocks in your head to continually support what's going on. *shrugs*

Fan is short for fanatic.
"A person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal"

So yeah, a person with rocks in their head!

Titanic Believer
31-07-13, 07:14 AM
Despite a tough time against the Rabbits I thought Rankin fought hard to redeem himself. His errors were no worse than Harrison makes in every game. Rankin should be in 6 this week if only because he has a kicking game and can pass.

Toads
31-07-13, 08:11 AM
Fan is short for fanatic.
"A person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal"

So yeah, a person with rocks in their head!

Yeah, that dawned on me after I submitted my post. It does SFA to quell my anger towards those who actually do manage the Club. Searle probably has made Darryl Kelly feel like he's the interim CEO. But they're not going to convince everyone that that's the case.

karnage
31-07-13, 08:28 AM
The thing is, I couldn't slightest **** to what other clubs have gone through, or are going through. My only concern is how this Club, that was built on the idea that it was for the Gold Coast and greater Community. And yet every season, it's getting screwed over by the same person calling the shots.

Can't argue with a single thing that you have said. I have been as critical as ANYBODY on here of management and in particular of John Cartwright. To the point where during this preseason I made a signature for my posts that said "SACK CARTWRIGHT" in bold font. Mods got rid of it.

All I know is that as pissed off as I am with the people in charge I want to stick it out.

Cartwright is a dud coach and Searle is the root of ALL of our problems. I just hope there is a day where they are both gone.

Mexican titan
31-07-13, 10:05 AM
Can't argue with a single thing that you have said. I have been as critical as ANYBODY on here of management and in particular of John Cartwright. To the point where during this preseason I made a signature for my posts that said "SACK CARTWRIGHT" in bold font. Mods got rid of it.

All I know is that as pissed off as I am with the people in charge I want to stick it out.

Cartwright is a dud coach and Searle is the root of ALL of our problems. I just hope there is a day where they are both gone.

Agree with all of that. Despite my earlier post stating that I sort of hoped the Tigers win this week to heap more pressure on Carty, I will certainly be at the game and without a doubt will renew my Titanium membership nextyear.
Things will change but it's a matter of how much damage is done on the way down. earlier this year the team and club seemed to be restoring the faith of the community but most of that has all been undone.

Toads
31-07-13, 10:27 AM

Yeah, I didn't think our view differed too much. I'm just going through a very frustrating stage of it all, 'n it's not just because of our current slump. Here's hoping the broom does go through the joint and remove the old wood that is holding this Club back from being a genuine Club for the people, 'n not just a select few..

Agree with all of that. Despite my earlier post stating that I sort of hoped the Tigers win this week to heap more pressure on Carty, I will certainly be at the game and without a doubt will renew my Titanium membership nextyear.
Things will change but it's a matter of how much damage is done on the way down. earlier this year the team and club seemed to be restoring the faith of the community but most of that has all been undone.

Earlier this year, upgrading to Titanium Membership was on the cards for me as well in 2014. But I just can't bring myself to renew it to anything, while we're dealing with same old crap. There needs to be some major changes to the Management 'n Coaching Departments before I can consider it again.

karnage
31-07-13, 10:49 AM
Yeah, I didn't think our view differed too much. I'm just going through a very frustrating stage of it all, 'n it's not just because of our current slump. Here's hoping the broom does go through the joint and remove the old wood that is holding this Club back from being a genuine Club for the people, 'n not just a select few..

Earlier this year, upgrading to Titanium Membership was on the cards for me as well in 2014. But I just can't bring myself to renew it to anything, while we're dealing with same old crap. There needs to be some major changes to the Management 'n Coaching Departments before I can consider it again.

Buy a sand membership and then just walk in and sit anywhere that you like. My mate did it this year because he was getting married and couldn't afford the price of his usual Gold ticket. He doesn't even know where his seat is. This allows you to still attend games but not fork out 'overs' in support of a crooked regime.

Toads
31-07-13, 11:21 AM
Buy a sand membership and then just walk in and sit anywhere that you like. My mate did it this year because he was getting married and couldn't afford the price of his usual Gold ticket. He doesn't even know where his seat is. This allows you to still attend games but not fork out 'overs' in support of a crooked regime.

Yeah, I've done this in the past before. But with intentions of upgrading my kids 'n my own membership next year. I wanted to lock in seats that are more suitable to us. As well as financially supporting our team to the best extent that I can. I just cant bring myself to do it at this stage with the current structure..

With that said, I am looking forward to the day it will be worth my while again. :)

DIEHARD
31-07-13, 01:52 PM
David Nofoluma's try was amazing last weekend. Reminds me of when the Tigers were electric.

Boonarga
01-08-13, 01:38 PM
Did I just read that Cartwright is putting Harrison in 6? That'll do me. This is worse than bush football. We can only be thankful Parramatta exist, otherwise we would be the laughing stock of the game.

TITAN PETE
01-08-13, 03:02 PM
Titans v Wests Tigers preview
By Nicholas Janzen
NRL.com
Thu 01st August, 10:30am

RSS
Titans v Wests Tigers
Skilled Park
Sunday, 3pm

They’re not exactly in form, but there’s plenty for the Titans and the Wests Tigers to play for in their clash at the Gold Coast on Sunday.

The 11th-placed Titans haven’t won in their past four matches, and they’re desperate to return to the winners’ circle and reignite their finals campaign. In the past handful of games they’ve lost to the Rabbitohs (32-4), Sea Eagles (38-20), Panthers (40-18) and Knights (46-16), with their most-recent victory coming against the Origin-depleted Storm (18-12) in Round 15. It’s been a long back half of the season for the Titans, who’ve fallen away badly with just four wins since Round 7 after starting the season with three victories from their opening four matches.

The Tigers, meanwhile, are experiencing that losing feeling too – and on a much bigger scale. They’re currently in 15th position on the ladder and on a three-game losing streak, with defeats to the Sea Eagles (36-18), Warriors (24-14) and Sharks (36-22). Just like the Gold Coast, the Tigers’ last victory came against Melbourne… back in Round 16 when they beat the reigning premiers 22-4.

So, where has it all unravelled for these two teams who were expected to be challenging for top honours in 2013?

For the Titans, their defence continues to prove their Achilles heel – for a side still a hope of qualifying for the top eight, they concede an average of 22.5 points per match (13th in the competition), a record that is simply unacceptable. In the past four weeks, they’ve conceded an average of 39 points per game, too. The Tigers’ defensive record is also poor – they concede 26.1 points per game (15th in the competition) – but perhaps more worrying is the fact their reputation as one of the league’s best attacking sides is fast disappearing. In 2013, they average just 15 points per game – and with a squad that features some of the game’s biggest offensive threats, including Benji Marshall and Robbie Farah, that record simply isn’t good enough.

For both teams – for entirely different reasons – this is a game they simply must win. For the Titans, on 20 competition points, it’s all about staying in reach of the top eight. For the Tigers, a victory is needed to boost morale, to show their fans improvements are being made and, most importantly, to recapture belief as individuals and as a squad heading into next season.

The Titans have made a raft of forced and unforced changes to the team that was demolished against the Rabbitohs last weekend. In a reshuffled line-up, David Mead replaces Jordan Rankin at fullback, with four-try Burleigh Bear Anthony Don coming back into the NRL team on the wing. Ashley Harrison has been named at five-eighth to replace the injured Albert Kelly (sternum) with Aidan Sezer shifting to halfback. Luke Bailey, suffering an ankle injury, has been replaced in the starting front row by Luke Douglas. Matt Srama, also sidelined with an ankle complaint, has been replaced by Beau Falloon. Ben Ridge comes into the starting side, with Ryan James, Luke O’Dwyer and Sam Irwin named alongside David Taylor on the bench.

For the Tigers, their squad hasn’t changed from the team that lost to the Sea Eagles, with Curtis Sironen again named in the run-on team. Shaun Spence has been named in jersey No.19.

Watch Out Titans: There were positive signs for the Tigers in their clash against the Sea Eagles last Monday night – perhaps they’re ever so slowly warming to the task? Their outside backs, in particular, looked particularly threatening, making a combined total of 18 tackle-breaks and three line-breaks. That could spell trouble for a Gold Coast side missing first-choice backline stars William Zillman and Jamal Idris.

Watch Out Wests Tigers: The Titans are ranked fourth in the competition for line-breaks – and the Tigers have struggled containing teams with such attacking potency. Gold Coast average 4.3 line-breaks per game, behind just the Rabbitohs, Sea Eagles and Roosters… and the Tigers haven’t got within cooee of beating either the Rabbitohs (54-10) or the Sea Eagles (26-0 and 36-18) this season. (They haven’t yet played the Roosters.) If the Titans split their defensive line, history says the Tigers should just roll over and concede. The Tigers are yet to win a match in 2013 where they’ve conceded more line-breaks than they’ve made, either.

Plays To Watch: The Titans will be desperate to turn back the clock and rekindle the form they showed against the Storm in June. Their gritty win was built on a smart kicking game and interested and energetic support play – something they’ve been desperately lacking in recent weeks. Look for the likes of Greg Bird, Nate Myles and David Taylor to inspire their troops and get heavily involved.

The under-siege Tigers, meanwhile, with Benji Marshall off to rugby at the end of the season, could look to throw the ball around here. Keep an eye on his running men – option ball runners like Tim Simona, Blake Ayshford and Liam Fulton will be targets in attack. There’s no doubt about the fact, though, the Tigers will kick high to David Nofoaluma’s wing – the rookie flankman, named in the Holden Cup squad at the start of the season, scored one of the most athletic tries of the century from a Benji bomb against Manly last week.

Key Match-Up: Ashley Harrison up against Benji Marshall. Yes, you read that correctly! Harrison has been shifted into the halves to accommodate the loss of Albert Kelly… but one would imagine Greg Bird could slot into the pivot position come kick-off. Still, whoever lines up against Benji has a big job to do. Whichever five-eighth gives his team more spark, direction and higher-quality ball will help their team secure two much-needed competition points.

Where It Will Be Won: Errors. There’s no surprise the Tigers are down at the foot of the table – they commit 11.5 per game, the worst record in the league! The Titans, meanwhile, are only just a little better with 10.3 per match. If Mick Potter’s men are to challenge here, that’s step one. And a big one, too.

The History: Played 10; Titans 5, Tigers 5. From the five games at Skilled Park, the Gold Coast hold a 3-2 advantage.

Match Officials: Referees – Gavin Badger & Alan Shortall; Sideline Officials – Chris Butler & Brenden Wood; Video Referees – Shayne Hayne & Matt Rodwell.

Televised: Channel 9 – Delayed 4pm.

The Way We See It: With the Tigers averaging their fewest number of points away from home in their history (just 11.3 per game), we can’t go past the home side here. The Titans have more to play for – and a win here keeps their finals flame flickering. The Gold Coast by 12 points.

*Statistics: NRL Stats

thelwall
01-08-13, 08:50 PM
Titans v Wests Tigers preview
The Gold Coast by 12 points

*Statistics: NRL Stats

the preview writer at nrl.com is surely trolling

TITAN PETE
02-08-13, 04:50 AM
Hour of Mead for troubled Titans
Travis Meyn | 12:30am August 2, 2013

TITANS coach John Cartwright has taken the shackles off Papua New Guinean flyer David Mead in a last-ditch bid to rescue the Gold Coast's ailing finals hopes.

Mead ran at fullback last night during a snap training session that Cartwright summoned in an attempt to get his misfiring team back on track.

Co-captain Greg Bird sat out the session after having an injection in his troublesome ankle but he is expected to play against the Tigers on Sunday.

The Titans, who are on a four-match losing streak, trained against their under-20s team in a 90-minute session Cartwright hopes will ignite them for the must-win clash at Skilled Park.

Shifting the lightning Mead, who's a prolific try-scorer, from the wing is a final roll of the dice for Cartwright, with the Titans needing to win to have any chance of scraping into September action.

And Mead, who is just two tries short of being the first Titan to score 50, said he was ready to make the No. 1 jersey his own as William Zillman battles a groin injury that could see him miss the test of the season.

''I've been working hard all year and my body feels good,'' said Mead, who has suffered two broken jaws this season.

''Carty's decided to put me in there to get a job done.

''I've gone through the game plan with him and he just wants me to go and play my game and trust my instincts.

''Hopefully it's not the case (season over) for Zilly but if I've got to play there then I'll take it with both hands and play as well as I can there.''

Mead directed traffic from the back at Robina last night while veteran lock Ashley Harrison reverted to five-eighth for the first time in five years.

The Titans have lost four straight games by an average of 24.5 points and expecting Mead to perform miracles behind a forward pack that has been monstered recently would be unfair.

But the 24-year-old said he was the fittest he's been and ready to deal with the mammoth workload needed at custodian.

''I feel good right now,'' he said.

''I'm usually not the fittest with endurance but it's something I've picked up this year because of all the running we've done in the pre-season.

''My legs are feeling good and I'm ready to play there.

''I've enjoyed my playing time there in the past with PNG and the few games I've had there with the Titans.''

Wests Tigers winger David Nofoaluma will head to Skilled Park brimming with confidence after his spectacular leaping try against the Sea Eagles on Monday night.

It's been heralded the best try since Mead's miraculous pick-up against the Sharks in 2011 and the Titans flyer said he was happy to pass on the mantle.

''It was better than mine to be honest,'' he said.

''I rewound it and played it slow motion. I wanted to see the detail of it. It was pretty good.

''He had no thoughts of self preservation. He just wanted to get the ball down.''

Mead said he would play for PNG in the season-ending World Cup.

Titanic
02-08-13, 09:30 AM
is a final roll of the dice for Cartwright
One would like to think so.

karnage
02-08-13, 10:04 AM
One would like to think so.

One may like to think so but one would be crazy to actually think so.

Hail Sezer
02-08-13, 03:40 PM
Beddow out for u20s, Nathan Wilson in.

mdrew or Pete inform me please on how Wilson goes?

mdrew
02-08-13, 05:24 PM
Always thought Nathan was a super talent and he started off very well earlier in the year when called up from MM even though he mainly played out of dummy half. One of our better young players, but make no mistake, losing Matt Beddow is not good

Beddow out for u20s, Nathan Wilson in.

mdrew or Pete inform me please on how Wilson goes?

Hail Sezer
02-08-13, 07:56 PM
Simona is apparently in doubt.

Hail Sezer
02-08-13, 08:08 PM
Also according to Tevita Folau's facebook he is debuting this weekend for our u20s

mdrew
02-08-13, 09:20 PM
Watch this young boy go, he is a real talent.

Also according to Tevita Folau's facebook he is debuting this weekend for our u20s

Boofhead
03-08-13, 11:40 AM
Titans players still chasing NRL finals
Ed Jackson | Sat 03rd August, 10:55am

http://www.nrl.com/Portals/NRL/images/34/34157_20_1.jpg
Luke Douglas is still optimistic about the Titans' chances of playing finals football this season

Racked with injuries, hopelessly out of form and with games running out, things are looking anything but good for Gold Coast's 2013 NRL campaign.

The Titans go into Sunday's second last home match against Wests Tigers on the back of a four-game losing run.

Last weekend's 32-4 thumping by South Sydney has left them 11th on the ladder with just six rounds remaining.

Adding to their woes, Luke Bailey (ankle), Albert Kelly (sternum) and Matt Srama (ankle) have joined a lengthy injury list that already includes fullback Will Zillman and centre Jamal Idris.

It means back-rower Ashley Harrison has been moved to five-eighth against the Tigers while winger David Mead fills in at fullback.

But despite all their woes, prop Luke Douglas had one simple answer when asked if finals were still on the player's agenda.

"Definitely - we've got to win five out of six. That's going to be tough ... but we've shown we can match it with the best," Douglas told AAP.

"We've just got to get it together and start getting that winning feeling back again."

Douglas, who has played a remarkable 188 consecutive NRL matches since his debut for Cronulla in 2006, says the playing group at the Titans should be making the top eight.

But if they are to realise that potential, they'll need to overcome a Tigers team whose lowly 15th position on the ladder doesn't reflect their ability in Douglas' opinion.

"They're one of the teams that have got a lot of strike players and, if Benji (Marshall) and the likes can fire, they're going to be hard to handle," he said.

"We've got to come out, play physical with them - try to shut down Robbie Farah.

"We've got the personnel to be playing finals. We just played ordinary against the Knights and Panthers. Put it together a little bit better against Manly, although the scoreboard didn't show it.

"Last week wasn't acceptable, getting beaten up the middle like we did. We've had a big week at training and hopefully we can put it together."

http://www.nrl.com/titans-players-still-chasing-nrl-finals/tabid/10874/newsid/73846/default.aspx

Boofhead
03-08-13, 11:48 AM
Gilbert: Captains must right Titans ship
Tim Gilbert | August 2 2013, 02:23pm

COMETH the hour, cometh the man -- it may be a cliche but the players of the Gold Coast Titans need to live it this weekend.

It is getting desperate. One more loss here against the Tigers and it is curtains for 2013.

The harsh reality is if the team don't make the finals, this season will be looked on as a failure or, at the very least, one that got away.

When post-mortem reports are written, no one really cares if there were injuries or whether the team struggled in the Origin period.

It will be that you either had a good year or a bad one.

Coach John Cartwright must look at the table position of his team now and think "how did we get here".

The first half of the season was so full of promise.

Albert Kelly had turned his life around and, along with Aidan Sezer, was steering the side beautifully.

The Titans were beating some of the Broadway acts of the competition. Co-captains Nate Myles and Greg Bird were heralded as great success stories.

Many in the game were looking at Carty and saying all the hard work he'd done over the past seven years had paid off and this was the Titans team to really give it a shake.

It is said that winners have parties and losers have meetings.

One of the big yarns over the past couple of weeks has been a so-called emergency meeting with Cartwright and the boss. But this season is not lost. Their backs are to the wall but this footy side need to push off and burst again over the last few rounds.

Bird must grab each game by the scruff of the neck. He is one of the best players in the competition but he needs someone on his shoulder when he breaks the line.

Myles will make ground and work harder than most players, but he also needs to step up another level in the club's hour of need.

Dave Taylor has had a poor year but he can change that by playing every game until the end of the season like he did against the Cowboys at Skilled Park. You will remember the Sunday afternoon game: he wasn't expected to play, he had a leg injury and limped for most of the match. But he was at his wrecking- ball best, his team notched a good win and he took away the Channel 9 man-of-the-match award.

I have said it before and I will say it again: he is the most awesome mix of size and agility -- one in a million -- and he can go a long way to restoring his reputation in the game with a big few weeks.

It is also a time for a guy like Ryan James to unleash his true potential. He is a big body who is smart and has plenty of ability.

From a team's point of view, whoever is in the 17 has to take pride in the statistics.

Most importantly is the missed tackle column. Any team that has had continued success has really hurt when their line was broken.

This needs to be in the psychology of the Titans for the rest of the season. The desperation on the ladder needs to be replicated in the middle.

Each player has to want to be the one who stops a certain try or pulls off an inspirational tackle.

The Titans this week need to stand up and play for their teammates. They have to want to have success for their coach and most of all play for themselves.

Winning is momentum and it is infectious. Who knows -- victory over the Tigers could kick-start the Titans into a good run of form and a charge towards the finals.

Give them strength!

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2013/08/02/455767_gold-coast-titans.html

Hail Sezer
04-08-13, 01:48 PM
Anyone watching the NYC game?

Hail Sezer
04-08-13, 02:14 PM
NYC side leads 32-30 with 10 to go

mdrew
04-08-13, 02:21 PM
let in 5 tries in 14 minutes to lose after leading 32-12. Ouch

Hail Sezer
04-08-13, 02:22 PM
let in 5 tries in 14 minutes to lose after leading 32-12. Ouch

lol what happened

mdrew
04-08-13, 02:24 PM
they stopped playing obviously thought that they had it won

Titanic
04-08-13, 03:02 PM
here we go lads ... broadcast not connected yet ... has the match started?

up-date, it's on now :-)

Hail Sezer
04-08-13, 03:06 PM
boom what a start

Hail Sezer
04-08-13, 03:12 PM
onya Dowling.

Bayside Titan
04-08-13, 03:14 PM
Soft try to the Tigers.

Bayside Titan
04-08-13, 03:15 PM
How many people here? I guess 8k ?

Titanic
04-08-13, 03:15 PM
Great jump Dowling, great kick Sezer ... today's resolution is only positives ... this will test my keyboard skills.

Titanic
04-08-13, 03:16 PM
Great jump Fulton :_(

Hail Sezer
04-08-13, 03:19 PM
Good start Meady

Titanic
04-08-13, 03:20 PM
Good ball Bird, good try Mead ... why Bird hasn't been at 13 all season is beyond me, oops sorry, I meant great selection Cartwright.

Titanic
04-08-13, 03:31 PM
Sezer looks sharp at 7

Titanic
04-08-13, 03:37 PM
Great ball Sezer, good try Takairangi

Titanic
04-08-13, 03:41 PM
Penalties 5 zip ... great refereeing

Titanic
04-08-13, 03:45 PM
James, Douglas, Taylor running with enthusiasm ... to a try ... where has this been for the last month ... oh, I forgot again, this is a part of our grand strategy, great work coach and management.

gotitans101_
04-08-13, 03:46 PM
Missed the first half. Tigers been woeful or are we finally putting some good footy together?

Boofhead
04-08-13, 03:47 PM
Little ripper!

Lots and lots of enthusiasm, keep it up!

Titanic
04-08-13, 03:51 PM
Missed the first half. Tigers been woeful or are we finally putting some good footy together?
We gave them a good opportunity early and then our enthusiasm has stuffed them.

Titanic
04-08-13, 04:26 PM
Bloody Tigers have stolen our game plan.

Titanic
04-08-13, 04:30 PM
bobble-me-off ... great effort Minichiello

Stalks
04-08-13, 04:40 PM
At least some of the for and against back to us and 1 point away from the 8

Titanic
04-08-13, 04:41 PM
O'Dwyer runs best when no one touches him ... and scores.

mdrew
04-08-13, 04:43 PM
Credit where it is due, I have been critical of the effort in the last couple of matches, could not say the same today

gotitans101_
04-08-13, 04:47 PM
Meh we won against a crap team whose attack was inept on the day and who were also missing their #1 player. Can't really take a lot out of that half anyway (sorry for the pessimism).

Stalks
04-08-13, 04:48 PM
Meh we won against a crap team whose attack was inept on the day and who were also missing their #1 player. Can't really take a lot out of that half anyway (sorry for the pessimism).

A bit messy in parts, but hey, I'll take it!

Titanic
04-08-13, 04:51 PM
Not withstanding the quality of the opposition that was a much better effort ... Mead went well, Gordon and Don were solid as were Dowling and Takairangi, Harrison was better at 6 than at 13, Sezer had a great game with the ball in hand and defending in closer, Bird was better not interfering in the centres and annoying the middle, Myles/James/Douglas/Taylor/Ridge/Minichiello all looked more interested, Falloon looked better for not having to rotate until late, Irwin and O'Dwyer just made up numbers.

gotitans101_
04-08-13, 04:51 PM
Maybe I'm being a little harsh, we did have a fair few players missing too.

Coaster
04-08-13, 04:55 PM
Just watching it now. But great to see a win.

titanfan1980
04-08-13, 04:58 PM
Already know the result but watching the replay now, what about the set when Taylor scored, James off the kick off ran as hard as I've seen, then Douglas goes through, off him go mead and Gordon with 2 scoots, then at the end of that the poor tigers have to try and tackle Dave Taylor 1m out, wow 100m set

Coaster
04-08-13, 05:02 PM
James ran 206 meters.

That's outstanding

gotitans101_
04-08-13, 05:04 PM
Finally showing what he's capable of.

titanfan1980
04-08-13, 05:04 PM
James ran 206 meters.

That's outstanding

Really?? Wow funny that he actually gets some game time and this is what happens, he usually only gets on with 5 till half time

gotitans101_
04-08-13, 05:14 PM
Really?? Wow funny that he actually gets some game time and this is what happens, he usually only gets on with 5 till half time

And usually gives away far too many penalties in that time.

titanfan1980
04-08-13, 05:26 PM
He didn't give one away today I don't think? Maybe the week in q cup helped him.

Geeman
04-08-13, 05:38 PM
Loving the new positive Titanic :D
Good effort by the boys today, good to see Taylor getting himself into the game more, and Harro proved me wrong in the best possible way :thumbsup:
Hoping this is the start of a good run, if not to make the top 8 (still a very long shot imo) at least to put some respect back in the jersey after the last month.

lonegull
04-08-13, 06:06 PM
great enthusiasn shown today, seemed they were all out to play as a team, my thoughts are whatever they put in the drink bottle of ryan james make sure its in there every week, mead was good at fullback and will only get better, the forwards worked great as a unit today.
although the tigers were not much got to give credit where due great game titans

Julius Sezer
04-08-13, 06:57 PM
we are lucky that Tigers are a crap team

Mexican titan
04-08-13, 07:17 PM
Credit where it is due, I have been critical of the effort in the last couple of matches, could not say the same today

Me too but I have got to say we didn't have a bad player today. I have really bagged Ryan James on here pretty well all season but today he was among our best. Did anyone notice the circle the players formed after the match and spoke among themselves for a few minutes. Wonder what that was about.

Supergoose
04-08-13, 07:21 PM
Trying not to get too carried away, but what a great performance today from our undermanned team. Sezer was excellent in the 7 and Harrison showed, he should be our backrower on the right edge with Bird in the middle and Taylor on the left. The only changes going forward I'd make would be Zillman to left centre for Dowling who has been decent and Kelly back into the halves for O'Dwyer. Ryan James showed all the doubters today of his potential - now he just needs that consistency. We should've put on 50 today, but a win next Monday night against the Dogs will put our season back on track and our home game against the Warriors will actually mean a lot.

Loved that we bombed to our big outside backs who were dominant today and that we chased until the end to not allow the Tigers in when they made a break.

Titanic
04-08-13, 08:20 PM
Loving the new positive Titanic
Thanks but a leopard can't change its spots ... this was the game we couldn't lose ... we were fragile in a lot of areas today ... our right side defence was exposed umpteen times but passes went to the touchy in error ... and let's not forget that at the moment James is 1 good game out of the last 16 he's played which was great to see today ... I am not anti him at all and hope that he can get his game sorted out every week but those calling him our saviour are very premature.

The biggest positive for me was that we were prepared to play rugby league as a team.

Boonarga
05-08-13, 12:26 AM
Can we get all the newspapers to rubbish our big forwards before each game? Those guys (Taylor and James) should have been playing like that all year.

The team really dug in today. Good job.

shamus
05-08-13, 06:58 AM
I expected a minutes silence for Graham Murray? Did someone forget or was it never on the table? :surprise:

Griff0
05-08-13, 09:10 AM
Great Result! Mead, Bird, and James Really stood up for this one. DT played really well apart from a few brain explosions.

For me the highlight of the game was sezer! a real confidence builder for him and if he can lead the team for the next few weeks Kelly will be very dangerous when he comes back

Titanic
05-08-13, 09:40 AM
Cartwright calls in the Penrith connection in the form of Gus Gould to bolster his sliding ratings:

For Gold Coast, this match represented the win they just had to have. Four losses in a row over the past month had them heading in the wrong direction on the ladder. They were fast losing contact with the top eight. They were at home against Wests Tigers, a team that appears to have lost all resolve and motivation.
Gee, if they didn't win this one; well … actually, they couldn't even allow themselves to contemplate such a result. They just had to win. I don't think losing ever entered their heads. And win they did.

It wasn't perfect; and it certainly wasn't pretty. But the final scoreline of 36-6 was a fair reflection of their commitment and desire compared to their dispirited opponents.

Any time you can keep a Wests Tigers team to one try in 80 minutes of football, and that lone try comes from a kick, you know you have done a great day's work.

Yes, the Titans won this match with their attitude in defence. I say ''attitude'' because not all their defensive execution was clinical. They looked very ragged at times and the Tigers did threaten to score on a number of occasions throughout the afternoon. However, it was the desperation and never-give-up nature of their defence that most impressed. The Titans were breached and often outnumbered, but they found a way to scramble back and save the try with last ditch heroics.
This attitude was best demonstrated in the final minute of play. Leading by 30 points and attacking the Tigers' line, a wayward pass was intercepted by Tigers centre Chris Lawrence and he headed off in the opposite direction for a try. You could probably excuse the Titans for not chasing given the result was already in their hands.
However, the Titans chased. Not just one defender either. Every man who could still draw breath headed off in pursuit. They caught him and maintained their winning margin.

It was brilliant stuff. It's moments like this that give you a window into the soul of these Gold Coast players. They are missing key players and were down on confidence entering the contest. But they grit their teeth and got the job done. A coach can be proud of such resolve.

It shows the team is still training hard during the week and that they care about their results. They are tackling the challenge head-on.

That's the only way to get yourself out of a tough situation. You have to get tough with it. Gold Coast did this yesterday. Valuing the basics of run hard, tackle hard and never give up on a play, is a proven formula for the struggling team.

Mind you, there were some nice passages of attacking football from the home side as well. Experienced lock forward Greg Bird showed his skills in laying on a neat try for fullback David Mead with a beautifully timed short pass. The lesson immediately rubbed off on Bird's young teammate Aidan Sezer who mirrored the play on the other side of the field to give big centre Brad Takairangi a free run to the in-goal. I've always said that kids learn more off the senior players than they do from their coaches. This was a perfect example. Sezer is a player of the future. Bird will help him get there.

The Tigers? Well, they have been one of my favourite teams over the past decade. I especially love watching them play on a sunny Sunday afternoon when the dry conditions allow them the chance to express themselves with the football.

There were glimpses of talent on display yesterday as they sent the ball spiralling across the field from side to side. However, it wasn't convincing. The younger players in this team are not getting the same lessons in toughness and discipline from their senior players the young Titans players are enjoying.

No, I'm sad to say, this was a dismal performance. Even allowing for the injury toll and the youth of the team, I didn't feel an application to the toughness of the game from the Tigers. Maybe I'm judging them too harshly. Just the same I wouldn't be surprised if to a man the Tigers boys admitted they could've done better. You get the feeling their minds are on an end-of-season rest, or for many, a departure to new surroundings.

It's a tough time. Pride in personal performance is their only motivation now. We wait to see if that means something to these players.
Full marks to the home side though. They needed the win. They fought for it. They achieved it. They deserved it.

For now, the Titans are still alive in the finals race.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/while-titans-linger-in-finals-race-tigers-look-like-minds-are-elsewhere-20130804-2r7oj.html

Toads
05-08-13, 09:45 AM
15+ Rounds later 'n we finally witness some Entertaining Football again. Hardly anything to get too excited about, considering how the rest of the season has gone.

By the way, it's not the opinion of a pessimist. It's one of a gutted Fan that sees little resolve in the near future.

Leeroy
05-08-13, 09:51 AM
Good to see the boys put a win together.
I thought Sezer was outstanding and a future captain in the making.
Looks like my favorite young gun Ryan James has found that controlled aggression and think he should be a starting front row. I have a feeling someone had a word in his ear after the Broncos game and at the age of 22 has worked hard to find the balance.
Not sure on Nates figures. Is he carrying an injury but he seems to be carrying the ball up with much conviction.
Congrats to Mead. Thought he was great. I think they might have been scared to play him there as Zilly would have to become a centre.
At the end of the day it was against a 2nd last place Tigers but to have the injuries we have it was good for confidence.

Coaster
05-08-13, 10:23 AM
Its attitude, the 2 percent people talk about, and it comes from getting in the right state of mind before the game.

It changes everything

Mr Stupid
05-08-13, 02:34 PM
Great to be in the winners circle again and to keep the tigers fans subdued. Great effort all round but much as I like Anthony Don he always finds himself one in on that right side too often. Tigers just couldn't get the last pass right.
Top 8? Probably not. Feels like the lawyers' letters have gone off to the Governor and we've got a stay of execution. But where there is yesterday's will, there may be a way. I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Mr Stupid
05-08-13, 03:10 PM
"I thought Sezer was outstanding and a future captain in the making."

I agree Leeroy. A couple of times early Benji was chipping into the left corner over Kevvie's head. Aiden was the first to react bringing the troops in and obviously pointing the tactic out to KG and DM. Looked like a general.

Titanic
05-08-13, 10:22 PM
I think that right-side defence comment is correct but I don't think it's Don's fault, we seem to have that shape no matter who plays there. It's a coaching thing, imho. We blamed it on Prince and even Kelly.