PDA

View Full Version : NRL: Kevvie wants to coach the Raiders

DeeGan
16-02-06, 10:16 AM
Kevvie wants to coach the Raiders
By Dean Ritchie
February 16, 2006

CANBERRA is poised to approach former Brisbane assistant Kevin Walters to be head coach for next season if Matt Elliott quits and joins Newcastle.

And Walters told The Daily Telegraph last night that he wanted the Raiders' top job.

Elliott has been offered a three-year $900,000 deal to join Andrew Johns at the Knights.

The offer to Elliott came after Tim Sheens rejected a bid from the Knights to stay at Wests Tigers.

Elliott has one season remaining on his current contract, but has been informally offered another two-year extension.

Newcastle has offered Elliott a three-year deal, starting from next season.

The Raiders approached Walters late last year to be Elliott's assistant at Canberra.

Walters, who was at Canberra between 1987 and 1989, playing 46 first-grade games, was initially keen but rejected the offer.

But with the top position now possibly on offer, Walters said he was ready to move into NRL coaching.

"Clearly I would be interested," Walters said.

"Coaching is my passion.

"If they gave me a crack, I think I would do a great job.

"I spent three years in Canberra. It's a great rugby league town and also a great place to bring up kids.

"But there is plenty to happen before this (the Canberra coaching job) happens.

"It would be nice to be thought of. It's something that would interest me."

Elliott and the Raiders are in Port Macquarie for a pre-season camp before a trial against Brisbane on Saturday.

He plans to discuss the coaching issue with Canberra chief executive Simon Hawkins on Monday.

Canberra is privately bewildered Elliott may leave.

The club claims to have been caught up in the pre-season coaching movement, initiated by Parramatta signing Michael Hagan from Newcastle.

The Raiders never wanted to lose Elliott and never thought about the prospect of having to find a new coach.

Even last year when the club finished second last, Canberra's board never wavered on keeping Elliott.

Canberra has several options should Elliott leave, but Walters would be a priority.

"We don't have a formal bid on the table for Matt but we have spoken to him and expressed our desire to re-sign him," Hawkins said.

"We agreed to sort it out face-to-face when he returns from the (trial) match.

"Matt has been quite open about what has been going on and we appreciate that.

"Newcastle have tried a few people and will no doubt make a very solid bid.

"But Matt has said it will take something extraordinary to get him out of Canberra.

"He loves the club and I know his kids love being in Canberra."

Elliott has been at Canberra since 2002 after taking over from Mal Meninga.

The Daily Telegraph

Kevvie has dones an apprenticeship in Brisbane under Wayne Bennett I guess though I see others out there as better options with more backing. I still believe an established 'name' coach is what is needed in Canberra in order to attract the big name players.

Walters is a great guy who I want to see succeed in any way, shape or form. Good luck to him in pursuit of the Canberra job.

Dakink
16-02-06, 11:43 AM
So the plot thickens - Kevvie would do a good job - though as you say perhaps a name coach is what is needed to attract the name players. Though that isnt to say that he couldnt do a great job building a team - Canberra hasnt exactly been succesful lately in chasing name players.

Eel 33
16-02-06, 11:57 AM
Until they sign a "name" coach, IMO Canberra will be one of the all-so-rands of the comp unfortunately. Problem is, there aren't many just lying around. God forbid they sign Chris Anderson.