Coaster
07-07-13, 08:25 AM
Should he keep his job, in its current form

Coaster
07-07-13, 08:28 AM
Ok let's see what the fans think, after another dismal game

Noddy1979
07-07-13, 09:09 AM
I'm not the biggest fan but I will say he should keep his job, a year ago I was for his head to roll but I have changed my mind. My reason is simple Jack Gibson was right when he said the front office needs to be as strong at the playing roster. Last year we had the Benny hill theme music playing on repeat, then we got settled with David May and then he goes I know the spin doctors say its business as usual but it causes turmoil in minds.

Geeman
07-07-13, 09:38 AM
I like Cartwright, but we are past the point where personality counts, we need points, and given the way some coaches have been dropped from other clubs, I think he has had a pretty fair crack at it.

Julius Sezer
07-07-13, 10:01 AM
http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=john+cartwright&safe=active&hl=en&biw=1084&bih=531&tbm=isch&tbnid=k7auLnwDJ0ln0M:&imgrefurl=http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2011/03/28/302815_gold-coast-lead-story.html&docid=Mx14RJdBIpP_iM&imgurl=http://www.goldcoast.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2011/03/27/what-should-carty-do-280311.jpg&w=310&h=320&ei=ia_YUbyQBcnqiAeZnoGYBA&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=109&page=3&tbnh=130&tbnw=123&start=31&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:46,s:0,i:222&tx=69&ty=16

He should get the sack that's what i think

Toads
07-07-13, 10:15 AM
http://oi41.tinypic.com/2ebv6rp.jpg

If things weren't broke, you could understand it'd be wrong to unload him. But that's clearly not the case..

Do yourself a favour if you haven't already, and check out our recent post-match pressers in the Video Section (http://www.nrl.com/Video/tabid/10959/Default.aspx) of NRL.com

Cartwright himself knows it can't go on like this, and appears to be all out of answers..

Hail Sezer
07-07-13, 10:34 AM
Neigh.

inb4 those groupie muppets all make forum accounts and come on to vote yes

TITAN PETE
07-07-13, 10:47 AM
Neigh.

inb4 those groupie muppets all make forum accounts and come on to vote yes

Most of them already have accounts here but don't come on the forums because there is too much truth being spoken:thumbsup:

teke
07-07-13, 11:23 AM
I'm wondering when the media is gonna get in on the action, Furner and Henry have had their fair share of heat.

Coaster
07-07-13, 11:31 AM
I'm wondering when the media is gonna get in on the action, Furner and Henry have had their fair share of heat.

Only 2 seem to care, Meyn is in bed with them, and Badel is trying to kill whole club

Chaos
07-07-13, 11:59 AM
Only 2 seem to care, Meyn is in bed with them, and Badel is trying to kill whole club

Is Badel trying to kill the whole club or just management?

Coaster
07-07-13, 12:11 PM
Is Badel trying to kill the whole club or just management?

Imo The whole club.

Supergoose
07-07-13, 12:26 PM
I have been quiet on this thus far, but after Hughes and Hunt were promoted ahead of some other more likely options and without a decent amount of senior football under their belts, it shows he has reached his limit. Sure we've had some injuries, but all clubs go through that. Ridge and James should be better but are a reflection of the coaching we are getting. We have had trouble defending on the edge when ever Minichiello plays yet he keeps getting selected in the starting side. O'Dwyer hasn't had a good game for us in years yet still gets a guernsey. We haven't had a decent centre pairing until this season and now those two are injured we have no depth to fill in. Our edges have been our issue yet we haven't done anything to fix the edges except for offloading Prince. He's had his time to fix these issues and hasn't. Time to go Carty.

Coaster
07-07-13, 12:33 PM
The last 2 years we have only won 33% of games, since 2010 our winning percentage is 38%

teke
07-07-13, 12:37 PM
Imo The whole club. how u know its the whole club?

Maybe it's just the main man of the club, u got inside info?

Coaster
07-07-13, 12:40 PM
how u know its the whole club?

Maybe it's just the main man of the club, u got inside info?

No just based off his actions, his involvement with the bombers bid team, and his relationship with the Livermores

Bayside Titan
07-07-13, 12:41 PM
Carty has to go. With the playing roster that we have we should be top 4. We should have finished higher than we did last year. Carty is recruiting on ability not his ability in coaching to bring out the best of the players and team.

I wonder how much it would cost to terminate to contract and pay him out? The other issue is that we do not have a coach tht can step up. Murphy would not be upro it or even that of a Q Cup coach.

Steve
07-07-13, 12:49 PM
Noddy makes a valid point. The turmoil in the club doesn't help, but I associate Hoss with that.

Credit where credit is due. Searle did a brilliant job getting the Titans into the comp. Cartwright even got us into the finals. In fact, we're still top 8 (even if we're falling fast out of it).

That said, Searle then took the club in a nose dive. David May managed to pull us out of it, but he's been forced out by Searle, who seems set on destroying what he created.

Cartwright would be gone from any other club by now too. He's just falling behind the pace as far as coaching goes, and it's showing on field.

He's one of the main reasons I got interested in the Titans, being a Panthers boy at heart, he was one of my favourite players when I was a kid, so it's not easy for me to say that he has to go.

That said, I'm not sure how much success any other coach will have with the issues the club currently has.

Steelers
07-07-13, 02:03 PM
That said, I'm not sure how much success any other coach will have with the issues the club currently has.

This is the main reason why I don't think he should be sacked. Who would replace him? Would things change? Look at Parramatta. They sacked Brian Smith who was probably in a similar situation to Cartwright. Since then they have been on a merry-go-round of coaches and the only success they have to show for it is a fluke grand final appearance in 2009.

Julius Sezer
07-07-13, 02:18 PM
Since then they have been on a merry-go-round of coaches and the only success they have to show for it is a fluke grand final appearance in 2009.

I'd rather want that than the situation we are in now.

I dont think we can compare us with the Eels. Eels actually don't have a proper squad to play competitive footy week in week out. Halves are crap, forward pack is soft, hooker is crap, they have no discipline and they give away easy penalties. Only thing decent is maybe there backline and ability to score tries.

We actually have the squad. Mead, Idris and Zillman at their best are dangerous. Sezer and Kelly together are a threat halves pairing in the comp. Our forward pack is very strong with the likes of Bird, Myles, Taylor etc. Also there is a lot of potential in Ioane and James. The coaches at Eels didn't have the squad to work with but Carty does have the squad and still isn't producing results.

DavidBouveng
07-07-13, 03:19 PM
i think cartwright has done some okay things this year, and improved in some areas.

i also think the individual brilliance of jamma and albertador has covered over some cracks in our team.

we are along way behind other teams in 'game smarts' and the finer details of current NRL coaching.

i think cartwright is an ok coach with some good traits; those being loyalty and helping guys who have been off the tracks. but he is just so far off pace with some stuff and when we lose a player inured during a game, im sure you could work out a cool drinking game trying to find out whos moved where.

in the end, he wont deliver us a premiership, and once you know that....your only wasting time by not moving on and finding someone else. Right now, thee are only 4 or 5 coaches with the ability to win a title, so we cant really look for former coaches or coaches in the comp at the moment. we need to take a stab like melbourne did wilth Bellamy, roosters have with Robinson, and souths did with maguire. Search for someone with a cutting edge knowledge of rugby league coaching, and id be looking at the assistants form those clubs i listed. namely kev walters or paul green or Jason Taylor.

especially since our forwards are our experienced strength, our coach needs a backs coach to mentor alby and sezer.

also, our best forwards are in late twenties and jamma/mead/alby/sezer are all early 20's, our window is the next 3-5 years....if we waste them with Carty then we wont be seeing any silverware

Noddy1979
07-07-13, 04:07 PM
Agree to a point, but the thing we really lack is back depth.I have watched state league this year and think our options are pretty weak. I don't see much joy coming. You can buy a million dollar centre but if he gets injured what do you do? I'd prefer to see a better reserve structure lets bite the bullet stop trying to be friends with every one. Have one state team with real genuine competition in the group. My preference would be burleigh as they are a strong financial club and we shouldn't be around mediocrity as the Seagulls are our little charity case at the moment. Spend money on local junior recruitment for our 20's put a cap on non local players and the rest should be from our massive nursery Coffs to Beenleigh.

DIEHARD
07-07-13, 05:18 PM
Rugby League is a savage game on and off the field. At any other club Carty would have been moved on already, that is a fact. I think he has had a red hot crack and been at the club for 7 seasons.

Anyone that rails hard against anyone who suggests a new coaching appointment is really kidding themselves. I find the fact that people get up people for questioning a club's coaching appointment amusing, it has been bread and butter since a ball was ever kicked.

We are Rugby League supporters not Beliebers.

DIEHARD
07-07-13, 05:20 PM
Wow just saw the poll results...

Should Cartwright keep his job

Yes 2 6.90%
No 27 93.10

Noddy1979
07-07-13, 05:27 PM
If Cartwright goes and I will respect that decision although I'm the few who don't agree with that, I really hope we give him the respect he deserves I would even name a cup after him. Maybe the Cartwright Cambell cup which should be played against Penrith as both gave it all for both.

Mexican titan
07-07-13, 05:42 PM
I was very late on the sack the coach bandwaggon but I am desperate for him to go now. I think the reasons are just in the general style of play and lack of fundamentals our team has such as:
* usually 5 hit ups and a kick that rarely finds the ground
* very few set moves
* the lack of protection for our fullback and wingers under high kicks (when was the last time we saw us penalised for blocking a runner)
* wingers that don't stay on their wing in defence
* players picked out of position
* no development of talent (like Sezer - playing ok but has not kicked on as much as he should have due to coaching style)
* generally no hurt in defence - like the Knights did by just pounding us in defence last week. Yet we have a pack full of rep players

That's just off the top of my head but seems like a good basis for the sack. However the first person for the high jump should be the person who signed Carty to a five year contract (wonder who) as I don't think any coach should be signed to that length of deal.

Chaos
07-07-13, 06:49 PM
Titans wont win another game this year with Cartwright as coach...which will probably leave us within the bottom three sides.
I bet our excuses will be the recent injuries to Idris and Bird but in all honesty the signs were already there.
It's an early part of the season for the players to give up but considering our latest results...one starts to wonder.

The young players really need our mature guys to keep playing strong for their own career sack.

Julius Sezer
07-07-13, 07:14 PM
Besides Carty shouldn't Matt Rogers be held responsible since he is the backs coach.

DavidBouveng
07-07-13, 07:53 PM
rogers is a good apointment as a mentor, but really he can only pass on his experience, not development plans or new tactics.

karnage
07-07-13, 07:57 PM
This thread has been a long time coming!!!!

If the Titans were a serious organisation Carty would have been sacked the year after we made the Prelim. He took us from within a game of the grand final to the wooden spoon by kidding himself that he had a formula that will work year in and year out. I mentioned earlier in the year that any team planning for us could watch tape from 2010 - we are that stale.

But we are not a serious organisation. We are fans of a team that is the plaything of an egomaniac. So while we all agree that Carty needs to go that action won't be a panacea for our club. So long as Searle in in charge problems will persist.

86 points in two weeks conceded to teams OUTSIDE the top 8 is season ending stuff for almost any team, let alone with our run home.

As for comparisons with Parramatta that is a bit over the top. We went into the season with hope. They did not. Carty might have a 38% W/L record but that is better than Ricky Stuart in games excluding those where he coached Brad Fittler.

So, yes he should go but we all know it ain't gonna happen with Searle in charge.

teke
07-07-13, 08:45 PM
Today on Nrl site, headline - Henry and griffin under the pump.

All the qld coaches under the pump

Southern Titans Supporter
07-07-13, 08:48 PM
Maybe we should sign Mickey Arthur

Steve
07-07-13, 10:05 PM
Look, i'll take the job.

I'll settle for 500k and... do the Titans still have a deal with Audi?

Julius Sezer
14-07-13, 10:47 PM
LOLing at the poll numbers.

Bayside Titan
14-07-13, 10:55 PM
I'd like to know who the two are that voted yes.

Coaster
14-07-13, 11:02 PM
I'd like to know who the two are that voted yes.

Michael and John

Julius Sezer
14-07-13, 11:05 PM
Michael and John

AHAHAHA LOL

lonegull
15-07-13, 07:10 AM
Michael and John

HA HA love it

gctitansoldier
15-07-13, 10:49 AM
Must be time to be looked at but who is going to do this? With no CEO or Board of Directors I can't see him be moved out.
I asked Meyn on Twitter 'with current playing group and the club not making the 8 should the coaching staff be looked at?' He replied 'probably should be'

gctitansoldier
15-07-13, 10:51 AM
Besides Carty shouldn't Matt Rogers be held responsible since he is the backs coach.

Throw Murphy in there as well. I'm positive I heard Murphy after we let a try in yelling 'Sir he was touched. He was touched'

Toads
15-07-13, 12:33 PM
Throw Murphy in there as well. I'm positive I heard Murphy after we let a try in yelling 'Sir he was touched. He was touched'

LOL

Julius Sezer
15-07-13, 12:35 PM
We already have a good squad. Squad is and will never an issue. Carty has the luxury of working with good players but what about someone like Ricky Stuart? It is understanable that Ricky might not get the results because he has a NSW Cup team to work with. Carty needs to be help responsible because to have a good enough squad but still have a win percentage of 38% is truly disgraceful.

Bayside Titan
15-07-13, 01:03 PM
I think that results should speak for themselves. Carty has poor results. Besides the Titans what " Work place or Organisarion " would continue with an employee with that sort of performance. Not many I would guess.

Toads
15-07-13, 01:12 PM
Michael and John

Looks like Steve Murphy might be the new one..

Titanic
15-07-13, 05:16 PM
Looks like Steve Murphy might be the new one..
... or the goat.

Geeman
15-07-13, 06:11 PM
Was watching the NZ (attempted) equivalent of the sunday roast, and they were discussing the Queensland teams coaching crisis. They then went on to talk about Henry, Griffin, and for some reason, Ricky Stuart. Not a single mention of Cartwright. The media are either blind to this, or just don't give a s**t about the Titans

Julius Sezer
15-07-13, 06:15 PM
Was watching the NZ (attempted) equivalent of the sunday roast, and they were discussing the Queensland teams coaching crisis. They then went on to talk about Henry, Griffin, and for some reason, Ricky Stuart. Not a single mention of Cartwright. The media are either blind to this, or just don't give a s**t about the Titans

A bit of both. In a media perspective no one really cares about the Gold Coast. It's kind of surprising really.

teke
15-07-13, 06:57 PM
I told my mates about the 30% winning ratio and their response was... Well that's 20% better than every other Gold Coast side

:laugh:

DIEHARD
15-07-13, 07:25 PM
I told my mates about the 30% winning ratio and their response was... Well that's 20% better than every other Gold Coast side

Well when you put it that way.... :D

Bayside Titan
15-07-13, 08:31 PM
... or the goat.
Give the goat the coaching gig I say.

lonegull
15-07-13, 08:32 PM

Classic

gotitans101_
15-07-13, 08:43 PM

It's definitely the latter.

Titanic
16-07-13, 09:07 AM
They think we are irrelevant because of our incestuous, myopic management ... everybody knows it and that we are in an untouchable world of our own.

Hail Sezer
16-07-13, 09:56 AM
They think we are irrelevant because of our incestuous, myopic management ... everybody knows it and that we are in an untouchable world of our own.

Ahh Google Dictionary, we meet again.

Myopic: nearsighted: unable to see distant objects clearly

10/10 use of the word.

And regarding the post...yep..it definitely appears that way. Some weird sort of voluntary isolation it seems

Toads
16-07-13, 05:02 PM
... or the goat.

The Goat has voted now..

ozynorts
17-07-13, 01:01 PM
Ok so who knows how to get the coaches win loss percentages for the coaches currently in the league for the last 3 years? We keep hearing about how Henry, Griffin, Stuart and Price etc are under pressure but what is their record in comparison to Cartwright?

ozynorts
17-07-13, 01:02 PM
Only 45 people have voted on this poll. Where are all the other members and why haven't they voted?

Mr Stupid
17-07-13, 02:30 PM
Only 45 people have voted on this poll. Where are all the other members and why haven't they voted?

Perhaps they're keeping their powder dry until they see were we finish on the ladder. If we get our second wind and finish 4th the swinging voters will be sympathetic toward Carty.

Bayside Titan
17-07-13, 02:45 PM
My vote will be a Concrete " No " . Time for new ideas . If he finishes in the Top 4 he goes out on high .

teke
17-07-13, 03:29 PM
Perhaps they're keeping their powder dry until they see were we finish on the ladder. If we get our second wind and finish 4th the swinging voters will be sympathetic toward Carty.tried pm'ing u and it said u weren't accepting pms. Ruuuude !

amaline
17-07-13, 09:40 PM
Ok so who knows how to get the coaches win loss percentages for the coaches currently in the league for the last 3 years? We keep hearing about how Henry, Griffin, Stuart and Price etc are under pressure but what is their record in comparison to Cartwright?

This website might help.

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/competitions/nrl/coaches.html

Griff0
19-07-13, 09:16 AM
Any idea on players that have a get out clause if the coach leaves?

Titanic
19-07-13, 09:21 AM
Probably a few at other clubs who would come back.

teke
21-07-13, 05:18 PM
....Bump....

Coaster
21-07-13, 05:18 PM
....Bump....

Haha
I am gonna be quiet.

Well on the forum anyway

teke
21-07-13, 06:15 PM
He has to fall on his sword. Surely he knows his time is up

Coaster
21-07-13, 06:34 PM
Maybe not Teke.

Depends if they can get the supporters to just shut up and accept what's happening.

teke
21-07-13, 07:22 PM
It is the only way this season can be salvaged in my view.

Coaster
21-07-13, 07:33 PM

To me it is the only way NEXT SEASON can be salvaged.

Titanic
21-07-13, 07:35 PM
To me it is the only way NEXT SEASON can be salvaged.
This

There is no way anybody else should be handed the shambles which is this season, however, considering the very good position that Cartwright enjoys with the media and our management then don't expect anything less than him at least finishing his current contract.

Bayside Titan
21-07-13, 09:04 PM
Sadly Teke you are right and I agree with Coaster. He needs to fall on his sword or be asked to leave but either is not going to happen in my view. It seems KPI's don't exist at the Titans.

ozynorts
21-07-13, 09:23 PM
This website might help.

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/competitions/nrl/coaches.html

thanks for that..

Boofhead
24-07-13, 09:52 AM
Gold Coast Titans

iSelect Titans Coach John Cartwright is putting himself in the hot seat this week, giving Titans fans the chance to ask him questions in an online chat from 9.30am on Thursday.

After three straight losses, ‘Carty’ is hurting and he knows that fans are feeling the same way. Carty will make himself available to answer your questions from 9.30 on Thursday.

Set a reminder here: http://bit.ly/13BMtRy

https://www.facebook.com/GCTitans

TITAN PETE
24-07-13, 09:53 AM
Live Chat with John Cartwright
Wednesday 24 July 2013 9:23 AM

iSelect Titans Coach John Cartwright is putting himself in the hot seat this week, giving Titans fans the chance to ask him questions in an online chat from 9.30am on Thursday.

After three straight losses, ‘Carty’ is hurting and he knows that fans are feeling the same way. Carty will make himself available to answer your questions from 9.30 on Thursday.

Set a reminder here: http://bit.ly/13BMtRy

TITAN PETE
24-07-13, 09:54 AM
Boof is quicker than me..

Bayside Titan
24-07-13, 11:33 AM
I wonder what questions will be allowed ??

Hail Sezer
24-07-13, 11:56 AM
Have a look at the post about it on FB. It's kicking off already lol.

DIEHARD
24-07-13, 12:07 PM
Have a look at the post about it on FB. It's kicking off already lol.

Yea it's blowing up on facebook. I don't even know those people! But it's absolutely fair comment, especially when viewed against Rugby League history.

TITAN PETE
24-07-13, 12:22 PM
Yea it's blowing up on facebook. I don't even know those people! But it's absolutely fair comment, especially when viewed against Rugby League history.

I love how the Groupies tag is being used others...

Should be interesting tomorrow morning..;)

Toads
24-07-13, 12:27 PM
I commend those slapping those dills on Facebook with some facts. But it does seems to be a waste of time, because they're not going to understand how this game works, even if you dedicated the rest of your years trying to get through to them.

It seems they're more wrapped up in the Titans brand than the love of Rugby League.

thelwall
24-07-13, 01:36 PM
was worth a good laugh though

ozynorts
24-07-13, 01:41 PM
I would love for Searle to do one. He wouldn't have the courage though. There would be some interesting questions then.

ozynorts
24-07-13, 01:44 PM
Is there "one" question that we want him to answer. We could all just keep submitting the same question over and over and see if we get a response.....

Titanic
24-07-13, 03:58 PM
Had my little piece too ... the official site will never conscience to much negativity though.

teke
24-07-13, 04:36 PM
I would love for Searle to do one. He wouldn't have the courage though. There would be some interesting questions then.I have sent in that exact question on the facebook page and it got deleted within a minute, I did it again and it didnt last a single second.

teke
24-07-13, 04:37 PM
We should do a Competition to see how Low this winning Percentage can go.

Titus
24-07-13, 06:08 PM
Can't believe what I have just read on Twitter! If I treated my clientele as the club does, I would be unemployed very quickly.

Toads
24-07-13, 06:22 PM
I guess it wouldn't be anything new. They don't operate as a company in business. If anything, they seem to do their utmost to be self-destructive in every area. Apart from Chris & Co who handle Ticket/Membership Sales.

TITAN PETE
25-07-13, 10:23 AM
Did anybody on here ask Carty anything , i have only just read the question & answers but they were all pat on the back type stuff..:(

here's the final words.

John Cartwright: Thanks for the questions. Guys I think I am the most accessible coach in the NRL. I answer every email I get, I attend local football matches, I am at station reserve training fields nearly every day and am always willing to have a chat. The last 3 weeks have been unacceptable, the players and coaches are in this together. The boys have prepared and made sacrifices to get us out of this form slump that we are in. As a coach I see these guys doing all in their power to play finals football.

This is our first game at home for over a month, bring all your friends along on Saturday night.

Boofhead
25-07-13, 10:27 AM
The tough questions were filtered no doubt.

Hail Sezer
25-07-13, 10:29 AM
What a bunch of pussy questions.

Mr Stupid
25-07-13, 10:46 AM
What a bunch of pussy questions.

Yep, as expected there was no insight here at all. Just recycled post match press conference stuff. The dominant thread in what Carty always says is that if somebody gives a big effort then that should be good enough. There's no emphasis on the result being the key factor in determining performance, effort or not. Under this regime we could be the hardest working team in the NRL but nobody would ever be accountable for poor results.

Tamwelg
25-07-13, 12:42 PM
Bummer I missed it

Titanic
25-07-13, 01:22 PM
Missed nothing I'd reckon but shouldn't have expected too much. Who in their right mind would get on there and lead with their chin? It was obviously a gee-up.

TITAN PETE
25-07-13, 03:59 PM
A lady has just called Talkin Sport this afternoon & asked all the questions most of us have been asking about Carty & the club..

The lady said she is in a group of 10 that have been members for 7 years & are not sure whether they will renew their memberships next season as they think the club has gone down hill since Dave May has left & we have no CEO & a coach that doesn't seem to have any passion when being interviewed in the press conferences ....

The club doesn't like us talking about the problems but i wonder if they will listen to others who are talking to Graeme Hughes , who did say he will try & talk to Searle..

Mexican titan
25-07-13, 08:19 PM
Just saw Carty interviewed on the Sterlo show on Fox and he didn't seem to happy. Made some excuses that the young halves and Srama are doing it tough being young blokes in a tough comp. Doesn't seem to worry Cherry Evans, Reynolds etc etc.and we on paper have a better pack to play behind.I think we all agree that Carty did a great job with the new club when we entered but the last few years have been frustrating and boring, boring, boring. He doesn't seem to be able to get the players to lift for big occasions or when the pressure is on.
What shame nothing will change while Searle is still there. I hope like hell we beat Souths but that shouldn't cover up the real issues.

Tamwelg
25-07-13, 11:24 PM
@badds76: Exclusive: kevin walters has quit as storm assistant. Told playing group today. Will return to qld at season end eyeing an nrl coaching gig

TITAN PETE
26-07-13, 05:34 AM
@badds76: Exclusive: kevin walters has quit as storm assistant. Told playing group today. Will return to qld at season end eyeing an nrl coaching gig

I will be keeping an eye out for him at Skilled , hopefully Saturday night :D, although all 3 Qld clubs have coaches that should be getting a Tap on their shoulders by seasons end

Titanic
26-07-13, 09:12 AM
Surely he's a Broncos man?

DIEHARD
26-07-13, 11:17 AM
Kevin Walters, my all time favourite Rugby League player, I think he will be at the Broncos, they don't muck around with coaching. Just ask Ivan.

Hail Sezer
27-07-13, 01:24 PM
Hey guys..just had a scope through the RLW mole's section of RLW whilst at the supermarket and came across this.

Sorry for poverty image quality my phone is a potato

http://s23.postimg.org/n7c9yk4xn/plsbetrue.jpg

hammer
27-07-13, 01:30 PM
Hey guys..just had a scope through the RLW mole's section of RLW whilst at the supermarket and came across this.

Sorry for poverty image quality my phone is a potato

http://s23.postimg.org/n7c9yk4xn/plsbetrue.jpg

But we don't have a board...yet?

Hail Sezer
27-07-13, 01:33 PM
But we don't have a board...yet?

that was my first thought exactly

Geeman
27-07-13, 04:40 PM
"the board" being Searle, and "serious questions" being do you need a longer contract to get in top 8?

TITAN PETE
27-07-13, 05:00 PM
Last chance tonight Carty ..bring home the win or find a new career

teke
27-07-13, 06:10 PM
Last chance tonight Carty ..bring home the win or find a new careeru, along with me and (94%) of others believe even if Carty wins he should be gone. :D

thelwall
27-07-13, 09:19 PM
this is a joke

Hail Sezer
27-07-13, 09:43 PM
this voice has gotten much stronger on the Titans facebook page.

Lets see how long it takes them to delete all the anti carty comments.

DIEHARD
28-07-13, 11:01 AM
Looks like Paul Green is also in line for Cowboys gig. Makes sense as he is a former Cowboy.

teke
28-07-13, 01:11 PM
Cartys own words from beginning of the year...

"The last two years haven't been good and I'm very fortunate to still be here," Cartwright says.

"There's not many clubs that would have put up with the last two year's results. I'd love to be the bloke who leads the Titans from start-up to a grand final but I'm under no illusions that I'm here forever."

I reckon he's gonna walk at years end, he's too nice of a bloke not to.

Bayside Titan
28-07-13, 01:22 PM
Cartys own words from beginning of the year...

"The last two years haven't been good and I'm very fortunate to still be here," Cartwright says.

"There's not many clubs that would have put up with the last two year's results. I'd love to be the bloke who leads the Titans from start-up to a grand final but I'm under no illusions that I'm here forever."

I reckon he's gonna walk at years end, he's too nice of a bloke not to.
I hope your right Teke.

Bayside Titan
28-07-13, 01:24 PM
My fear is by the time Titans make a decision on a coach we will miss out on the best available and be left with seconds.

Julius Sezer
28-07-13, 01:30 PM
So they are waiting till next year? F****** hell

teke
28-07-13, 01:54 PM
My fear is by the time Titans make a decision on a coach we will miss out on the best available and be left with seconds.Nathan brown, one of the best developers of jnrs in the game

Titanic
28-07-13, 03:03 PM
Somebody finally starts to get it and on the back of watching Peyroux actually passing, something he never did for us and Tagataese smashing blokes with big minutes and let's not even mention Lawrence:

Should the axe fall on his North Queensland counterpart Neil Henry this week, Gold Coast's John Cartwright may well find the sacking spotlight shined in his direction next.

While there has been no indication of unhappiness from the Titans with their coach, a rampant South Sydney upped the pressure on Cartwright with a 32-4 NRL win over Gold Coast on Saturday.

The Titans are now staring at a third-straight campaign without finals after a four-game losing run which has tumbled them out of the top eight at the wrong time of the year.

Just six matches remain to claw their way back into finals contention and the Titans could be two games outside the eight by the end of the weekend depending on other results.

It's a run which has started to put the pressure on Cartwright, especially given Henry is reportedly about to get sacked in Townsville despite a superior recent record.

Over the past three seasons Henry has won 36 games and taken the Cowboys to the finals in both of the past two years while during that time there's been no September action for Cartwright's men and just 24 victories.

Next weekend's home game against Wests Tigers looms as a must-win if they're realistic about having any hope of making the finals.

While fullback Will Zillman could return from a groin injury, the bruising encounter with the Rabbitohs has given Cartwright some added headaches going into the Tigers clash.

Hooker Matt Srama could not play again this year after suffering an ankle sprain in the first half on Saturday while Luke Bailey (ankle) and halfback Albert Kelly (shoulder) also picked up knocks against the Bunnies.

Cartwright says any talk of finals is premature and certainly not his focus as he tries to halt his team's horror run.

"You're going to throw that at me every week but it's not something that we can talk about at the moment," Cartwright said when asked about finals football.

"Now we've left it to other results going our way it's a matter of getting some pride back in our performance.

"As much as I thought we were there to play, they (Souths) were really dominant. They gave us nothing.

"We haven't got that confidence within the team to get the job done and it really hurt us."
http://nrl.com.au/souths-loss-turns-up-heat-on-titans-coach/tabid/10874/newsid/73719/default.aspx

teke
28-07-13, 03:14 PM
Somebody finally starts to get it and on the back of watching Peyroux actually passing, something he never did for us and Tagataese smashing blokes with big minutes and let's not even mention Lawrence:

http://nrl.com.au/souths-loss-turns-up-heat-on-titans-coach/tabid/10874/newsid/73719/default.aspxFinally an article we wanted to see.

Peyroux thought twice about letting the passes go today :laugh:

Coaster
28-07-13, 03:38 PM
Love how he says it's a confidence thing.
We are the only club in the NRL without a sports psychologist or any mind coach

Titanic
28-07-13, 03:39 PM
Thinking is something our blokes could never be accused of ... some of them have taken years of mediocrity and done nothing about it. We play dumb, we refuse to recognise the obvious or do nothing about it ... we are a dumb football team with talent.

Jamal's Hamstring
28-07-13, 06:33 PM
There can be no excuses this time. Weren't we promised a top four finish?

Uninspired, undisciplined, under achievers. I think all the pieces are there, let's see how someone else goes at the helm.

Smakked
30-07-13, 06:08 AM
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au./sport/nrl/gold-coast-titans-haul-coach-john-cartwright-in-for-talks/story-fni3grk4-1226687799536

JOHN Cartwright will be summoned to face Titans hierarchy as the club seeks urgent solutions to avert the Gold Coast missing the finals for the third consecutive season.

The Courier-Mail can reveal Titans head coach Cartwright and his assistants will meet with interim CEO Darryl Kelly on Wednesday to discuss a sweeping restructure of the club's football operations for 2014.

Kelly personally wants Cartwright on deck next season but concedes the foundation coach's fate may ultimately rest with a newly created Titans board, set to be instituted by season's end.

Contracted until the end of 2016, Cartwright's future has become increasingly tenuous.

Some Gold Coast players are losing faith in his methods, expressing frustration at a perceived lack of feedback from Cartwright.

The Titans had been entrenched in the top six but four heavy losses in a row have seen the Coast slump to 11th ahead of Sunday's must-win clash against Wests Tigers at Skilled Park.

Kelly wants answers from Cartwright, who heads up Gold Coast's football committee.

"We are undertaking a review of the football department, and John is a part of that, as are the other people in the football department," said Kelly, who outlaid $3.25 million last year for a 31.8 per cent stake in the Titans.

John Cartwright
Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright. Picture: Adam Head
"Obviously we are not happy with where we are sitting - it's just above the Cowboys and Broncos, which is not what anyone's aim is.

"We have aspirations to make the eight, and we still think we can. But it is becoming a harder road for us."

Sacking Cartwright would be an expensive exercise.

His deal is worth an estimated $350,000 annually, meaning the Titans must deal with a $1 million payout if they decide to axe Cartwright.

Cartwright has the lowest winning percentage of any NRL coach to complete a full season since the start of 2011 - winning just 24 of his past 66 games for a 36.4 per cent success rate.

But Kelly is keen for Cartwright to coach the Titans in 2014, regardless of whether the club misses the finals for a third straight year.

"The coach is not under review," he said.

"We are looking at ways to improve the performance right through the club, including the under-20s and our junior-development program.

"John Cartwright has my full support. He is an integral part of our club.

"We are meeting to make some decisions about how we can structure the football department next year, and what resources we throw at it to improve the performances."

It is understood Titans players have been frustrated with the lack of feedback they receive from Cartwright.

"There has been some discontent around feedback and a few players were concerned with the lack of attention their individual games were receiving this season," a source close to the team said.

"In some cases, the players were searching for feedback outside Cartwright because they knew their form was falling away, but were unsure why.

"The players I have spoken to respect Carty, but know this team should be top-four."

- See more at: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au./sport/nrl/gold-coast-titans-haul-coach-john-cartwright-in-for-talks/story-fni3grk4-1226687799536#sthash.sU2XjpRO.dpuf

Finally something is starting to come out about whats going on.

TITAN PETE
30-07-13, 06:15 AM
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au./sport/nrl/gold-coast-titans-haul-coach-john-cartwright-in-for-talks/story-fni3grk4-1226687799536

Finally something is starting to come out about whats going on.

"The Coach is Not Under Review"
That must be a typo :?)

DavidBouveng
30-07-13, 06:38 AM
"The Coach is Not Under Review.....YET"
That must be a typo :?)

thats how i take it. coaches getting sacked begin with meetings for next year, and whatnot... once that happens then your position is definitely starting to come under question and need something to seriously change to right the ship.

We all know our ship is actually in no way going to turn, due to the strength of opposition we face on run home, and the form we are carrying, plus the players injured.

we will win 1 games, 2 at best on run home, and finish 13th or so, closer to second last place than the top 8 and the 'talks' will develop into much more imo

Coaster
30-07-13, 06:54 AM
"John has our full support."

John seems like a man of integrity. It's time he stepped down, and let someone else take control.

If he stays, I will lose all respect for him. And his legacy will be tainted

Nick
30-07-13, 08:00 AM
For a club in a bit of financial trouble, it's hard to see how we could afford to pay out Carty.. The fun of 5 year contracts!

Titanic Believer
30-07-13, 08:41 AM
Sounds like a bit of shifting deck chairs on the Titanic. My limited experience is that new thinking by new people is required to change entrenched mind sets. If Carty and the existing football department were up to renewal, it would already be happening because it has been obvious for a while that what they are doing is not working. The new part owner has hopefully realised this.

amaline
30-07-13, 09:02 AM
"John has our full support."

John seems like a man of integrity. It's time he stepped down, and let someone else take control.

If he stays, I will lose all respect for him. And his legacy will be tainted

Usually giving full support to the coach is the kiss of death. not to sure in this case.

TITAN PETE
30-07-13, 09:33 AM
Usually giving full support to the coach is the kiss of death. not to sure in this case.

Lets hope u are right

Titanic
30-07-13, 09:39 AM
When the players complain about lack of detail it means the coach has lost control of the group. He is not providing that because he is either out of ideas or too comfortable in his position and I assume the former. I'm with Coaster on this. Cartwright had a fine and distinguished playing career. He has been given every opportunity the Titans but the results speak for themselves and in his own words shouldn't wait "to be tapped on the shoulder". This meeting is the harbinger of things to come ... about bloody time.

Griff0
30-07-13, 12:15 PM
Maybe all these Facebook, Twitter and forum comments are paying off.

If Carty loves this Team as much as any coach should he will let the board know he will stand down at season end so we have time to recruit a new coach. if letf to late 2014 will be gone aswell.

Mr Stupid
30-07-13, 12:20 PM
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=424369

Discussion on this topic on League Unlimited forum.

Toads
30-07-13, 01:20 PM
Maybe all these Facebook, Twitter and forum comments are paying off.

If Carty loves this Team as much as any coach should he will let the board know he will stand down at season end so we have time to recruit a new coach. if letf to late 2014 will be gone aswell.

To me, Cartwright can't go around for another year. It'll have ramifications with the support base that'll see membership numbers take a huge hit. Admittedly, those finances generated by membership alone wouldn't save the Club longterm. But the bad PR from it would do more damage than anything we've seen before (IMO).

As much as I love Rugby League and thought of the Coast having a team in the NRL Comp. I can no longer support it, in it's current form. Especially while Searle is the Majority Shareholder and Cartwright is Head Coach. In hindsight, I do now believe it would've been a blessing in disguise if the ARLC pulled the license 'n the let the Club reform earlier this year.

Bayside Titan
30-07-13, 01:31 PM
If Carty continues and we still do no better next year Titans will play second fiddle to the Suns. The Suns will take over as the number 1 game in town. Also while the Suns are going ok they will capture the imagination of all the fence sitters out there.

Boofhead
30-07-13, 01:34 PM
If Carty continues and we still do no better next year Titans will play second fiddle to the Suns. The Suns will take over as the number 1 game in town. Also while the Suns are going ok they will capture the imagination of all the fence sitters out there.

Think it's too late for that, Suns are getting pulling very decent crowds.

Bayside Titan
30-07-13, 01:34 PM
Maybe Teke may know better than most so this question is for you.

Has Carty lost the Locker Room?

Bayside Titan
30-07-13, 01:37 PM
Think it's too late for that, Suns are getting pulling very decent crowds.
Yeah thought that when I saw footage of the last home game they played. Plus a few families that I know that have no interest in Football have been to few Suns Game and only 1 Titans game.

Mr Stupid
30-07-13, 01:41 PM

I'd rather watch ash harrison run out in the halves each week than watch two hours of knock-ons. AFL is ****, I just don't get it. I wont renew my family's membership to the Titans if Searle and JC are in charge next season but I'll follow and support them from afar. Very sad.:(

Bayside Titan
30-07-13, 01:41 PM
I guess thinking about it and I'm prepared to grin and bear it next year if we don't do well with a new young coach who is finding there feet. However I won't be the same if Carty is still in charge and we are no better than we are this year.

Toads
30-07-13, 01:45 PM
I'd rather watch ash harrison run out in the halves each week than watch two hours of knock-ons. AFL is ****, I just don't get it. I wont renew my family's membership to the Titans if Searle and JC are in charge next season but I'll follow and support them from afar. Very sad.:(

Yep, that's where I'm with it these days.

DIEHARD
30-07-13, 01:58 PM
For me it's not always about how many fans you have. It's how willing they are to passionately support the side. It's like an ice berg. It is a crisis because many fans are turning down the dial on their support.

Also on LU. I don't think many of those guys actually watch Titans games!

Coaster
30-07-13, 03:02 PM
Watching the Warriors atm, how much of our success was solely because of this bloke. He is a true pro, and controls the ruck as good as anyone. He got hurt in i think rd 4 2011. as good as some of the younger guys are, they do not have anything like the ability Friendy has.

Titanic
30-07-13, 03:24 PM
Some reasonable comments on there (LU) and some other perspectives ... particularly that they view our pack as soft and I think they're right, we are playing soft. The coach is not in their heads at all, imho.

beeps
30-07-13, 03:35 PM
Watching the Warriors atm, how much of our success was solely because of this bloke. He is a true pro, and controls the ruck as good as anyone. He got hurt in i think rd 4 2011. as good as some of the younger guys are, they do not have anything like the ability Friendy has.

very true Coaster the warriors where quite a different team without him.

ozynorts
30-07-13, 03:36 PM
For me the most telling part of this article was the last couple of paragraph's.
"It is understood Titans players have been frustrated with the lack of feedback they receive from Cartwright.

"There has been some discontent around feedback and a few players were concerned with the lack of attention their individual games were receiving this season," a source close to the team said.

"In some cases, the players were searching for feedback outside Cartwright because they knew their form was falling away, but were unsure why.

"The players I have spoken to respect Carty, but know this team should be top-four."

Once the players start talking to others about issues and voicing doubts about the coach he has lost the locker room and should go asap. At the moment they are just going through the motions and not playing with the commitment required in first grade to be successful.

ozynorts
30-07-13, 03:39 PM

and yet the Warriors are not sure if they want to keep him....
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/8790988/NZ-Warriors-U-turn-over-Nathan-Friend-deal

He was a good player for us and we got rid of him and now the Warriors are considering doing the same perhaps. Does he piss off the wrong people or something?

Griff0
30-07-13, 03:44 PM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/8790988/NZ-Warriors-U-turn-over-Nathan-Friend-deal

He was a good player for us and we got rid of him and now the Warriors are considering doing the same perhaps. Does he piss off the wrong people or something?

They signeed a few yonug players but they have offered him a 1yr deal

ozynorts
30-07-13, 03:51 PM
Hope he does stay there. He can only help them.

TITAN PETE
30-07-13, 04:03 PM

He left the Titans because he wasn't as good as Srama but we just haven't seen that yet ..

They signeed a few yonug players but they have offered him a 1yr deal

He will more than likely sign again for one year but there is someone else talking with him..

Hail Sezer
30-07-13, 07:11 PM
Just watched the video with Carty talking about the team.

Some comments about zillman which made me lol:
"He was the in form fullback of the competition before he got injured" Then compared him to slater, inglis and barba.

Carty laughed at the reporter for asking if his job was on the line, if he felt pressure or if he had been spoken to by management regarding the teams form.

He's far too comfortable.

Titanic
30-07-13, 10:07 PM
"It's a season of 26 games not 16, the faith I have is there is a side there that can compete with any side in the competition," he said.
Pity we're already at 21 :(

karnage
30-07-13, 10:24 PM
Pity we're already at 21 :(

I laughed so much at this quote, because by making it he is drawing attention to the fact that he could only hold the team together for 16 rounds!!! HE IS CRITICISING HIMSELF!! Too funny...

thelwall
30-07-13, 10:41 PM
since round 1 2011
24 wins
41 loses
win percentage 37%

thelwall
30-07-13, 11:31 PM
Pos...Team.......W..Points
1 STORM..........47 94
2 EAGLES.........45 90
3 RABBITOHS....42 84
4 BULLDOGS.....40 80
5 BRONCOS......37 74
6 COWBOYS.....35 70
7 ROOSTERS....32 64
8 WESTS........32 64
9 WARRIORS....31 62
10 DRAGONS....31 62
11 KNIGHTS.....31 62
12 RAIDERS.....29 58
13 SHARKS......29 58
14 PANTHERS...26 52
15 TITANS.......25 50
16 EELS..........15 30

ladder since 2011

Coaster
31-07-13, 07:52 AM
1 STORM..........47 94
2 EAGLES.........45 90
3 RABBITOHS....42 84
4 BULLDOGS.....40 80
5 BRONCOS......37 74
6 COWBOYS.....35 70
7 ROOSTERS....32 64
8 WESTS........32 64
9 WARRIORS....31 62
10 DRAGONS....31 62
11 KNIGHTS.....31 62
12 RAIDERS.....29 58
13 SHARKS......29 58
14 PANTHERS...26 52
15 TITANS.......25 50
16 EELS..........15 30

ladder since 2011

Wow

For those wondering my 33% comes from the start of this year

DavidBouveng
31-07-13, 10:47 AM
1 STORM..........47 94
2 EAGLES.........45 90
3 RABBITOHS....42 84
4 BULLDOGS.....40 80
5 BRONCOS......37 74
6 COWBOYS.....35 70
7 ROOSTERS....32 64
8 WESTS........32 64
9 WARRIORS....31 62
10 DRAGONS....31 62
11 KNIGHTS.....31 62
12 RAIDERS.....29 58
13 SHARKS......29 58
14 PANTHERS...26 52
15 TITANS.......25 50
16 EELS..........15 30

ladder since 2011

What do teams2,3,4, 5,6,7,8,9,10,11,13,14 all have in common??

They have all sacked coaches or changed coaches since 2011. Any wonder we are behind them ALL

DIEHARD
31-07-13, 01:32 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/E1OvVKAga2k?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

At the end of the day everything comes down to Seinfeld and South Park.

DIEHARD
31-07-13, 02:23 PM
Business as usual for Titans coach

Gold Coast coach John Cartwright says he can't let media speculation over his future affect his work with the NRL club.

Cartwright's position has come up for discussion following last weekend's 32-4 loss to South Sydney, which left the club poised to miss out on finals for the third straight year.

Cartwright will meet with the club's interim chief executive Darryl Kelly on Wednesday but says contrary to media reports, the meeting is nothing out of the ordinary.

Claiming reporters loved seeing a coach under pressure, Cartwright said as far as he's concerned it's business as normal ahead of Sunday's must-win clash with Wests Tigers.

"I don't feel any more pressure than when I started the job," Cartwright said.

"I can't let that affect the performance that I do for the players.

"What people say is out of my control, I'll just go and do my job.

"As a club we've been under the pump for a long time. We've got some stable footings now, but we've still got a lot of catching up to do.

"We're going to be of the equal of all other clubs very soon."

Cartwright says his concerns are more immediate with a hefty injury toll from the bruising loss to the Rabbitohs forcing him to put together a makeshift team to play the Tigers.

Matt Srama (ankle), Luke Bailey (ankle) and Albert Kelly (sternum) have all been ruled out while William Zillman remains unavailable due to an ongoing groin complaint.

It's forced Cartwright to name Ashley Harrison at five-eighth while winger David Mead will move to fullback.

The Titans are two games outside the eight with just six rounds remaining and can all but kiss their finals hopes goodbye if they don't beat the Tigers.

"It's a season of 26 games not 16, the faith I have is there is a side there that can compete with any side in the competition," he said.

"We've just got to keep digging deep. I'll keep digging deep to find a way we can get back to where we were."

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/

karnage
01-08-13, 12:16 PM
"Who's Cartwright?"
"I'm Cartwright."

Genius...

Smakked
02-08-13, 06:05 AM
Boston Celtics basketball legend Larry Bird was coaxed into coaching his home-town team, the Indiana Pacers, in the late '90s. The Pacers were struggling and needed Bird's winning mentality.

When Bird signed on he told the Pacers' owner that under no circumstance would he coach past three years. He explained that after two years a coach's influence on his players begins to diminish. After three, it's over.

Bird's three years at the Pacers brought Indiana huge success but, true to his word, after the third year, when he took the team to the NBA finals, he resigned. Too cleve

Smakked
02-08-13, 07:46 AM
I think we should sign Cam Smith as our coach, because i can see carty still around when he retires :D

ozynorts
17-08-13, 07:36 PM
Lets face it, carty isn't getting the boot whilst Searle is there so lets bring in someone who can help. There's a pretty good coach who beat us tonight who would be very handy.

Julius Sezer
17-08-13, 07:43 PM
Watching the Titans attack was painful to say the least

C-Whiz
19-08-13, 09:01 AM
Business as usual for Titans coach

"I don't feel any more pressure than when I started the job," Cartwright said.This is probably the most concerning statement he has made, and the most telling.

"We're going to be of the equal of all other clubs very soon."Very soon? How soon? And who wants to be "the equal"? I want/expect to be better.

Cartwright says his concerns are more immediate with a hefty injury toll from the bruising loss to the Rabbitohs forcing him to put together a makeshift team to play the Tigers.That "makeshift team" won 2 games straight, but then we went back to the old "winning" formula...

"It's a season of 26 games not 16, the faith I have is there is a side there that can compete with any side in the competition," he said.John, we all know we have a team that can BEAT any side in the competition, we just need you to understand there is a reason they are struggling just to compete with weaker teams.

"We've just got to keep digging deep. I'll keep digging deep to find a way we can get back to where we were."
Where were we John? 1 finals appearance in 7 years. We also have had the same amount of spoons. You've had 7 years to find a way John. Maybe you've had enough time. Don't you think?

Toads
19-08-13, 09:25 AM
I understand your frustration, C-whiz. Hopefully you can draw some comfort in knowing that you're not alone, when it comes to Cartwright.

The most prominent thing that excels above his Coaching ability, is the spin he comes up with to try 'n mask over our teams poor performance. I can't find the article at the moment. But there's an article posted yesterday that he's starting another yarn that he'll build on 'n use as an out for the piss poor form this year. Three games to go, it should be a beauty by the end of Round 26.

I guess Searle has taught him well..

Titanic
19-08-13, 10:02 AM
It's everybody's fault except his own ... classic no accountabiliy syndrome.

DavidBouveng
19-08-13, 07:09 PM
I suspect he is feeling more pressure than he is letting on, but if he learnt anything from our own David May, it's that a bit of honesty and showing people you are aware of the problem endears you to people more than lying and pretending everything is ok when it's not.

If carty said ' for some reason I've really struggled to get this team to its full potential, but I'm not gonna give up easily, and believe adding some coaching structures around me will really help', I would give him my backing most likely, but the facade irks me.

Toads
19-08-13, 07:42 PM
There's a lot of truth in what you mentioned there, DB.

Coaster
19-08-13, 10:46 PM
I suspect he is feeling more pressure than he is letting on, but if he learnt anything from our own David May, it's that a bit of honesty and showing people you are aware of the problem endears you to people more than lying and pretending everything is ok when it's not.

If carty said ' for some reason I've really struggled to get this team to its full potential, but I'm not gonna give up easily, and believe adding some coaching structures around me will really help', I would give him my backing most likely, but the facade irks me.

He hasn't

And he won't.

Griff0
20-08-13, 10:17 AM

Very True,

Early on when he had guys like rogers, presto and a youngish Scott prince their ability to create attacking opportunities covered for our lack of structure and game plan.
The first 10 round of this year albey was playing free and creating opportunities.

If the Club wants to honour his contract they need to performance review him like any employer should. Find his strengths and weaknesses and give him the support he needs.

IMO If Carty goes against this he would be ruining his own Career as a coach. Having henry could turning him into a complete coach rather than someone how is a good bloke with a top 4 rooster preforming like a bottom 8 team

C-Whiz
20-08-13, 12:58 PM
If carty said ' for some reason I've really struggled to get this team to its full potential, but I'm not gonna give up easily, and believe adding some coaching structures around me will really help', I would give him my backing most likely, but the facade irks me.I think this is the general feeling of a lot of people, because I don't really want to see Carty be asked/forced to leave the club, but I don't want to keep seeing the Titans under-perform either.

A better coach with some fresh ideas, allowing Carty to focus on the forwards while the Rat keeps working with the halves/backs, would probably be just what the club needs.

Carty (and Searle) have to be honest and upfront and accept that change needs to be made. Neil Henry's clever tactical thinking, Cartys heart and soul into the forwards, the Rat at the back, and some honesty from the club. Good times! :thumbsup:

Geeman
21-08-13, 05:42 PM
I think this is the general feeling of a lot of people, because I don't really want to see Carty be asked/forced to leave the club, but I don't want to keep seeing the Titans under-perform either.

A better coach with some fresh ideas, allowing Carty to focus on the forwards while the Rat keeps working with the halves/backs, would probably be just what the club needs.

Carty (and Searle) have to be honest and upfront and accept that change needs to be made. Neil Henry's clever tactical thinking, Cartys heart and soul into the forwards, the Rat at the back, and some honesty from the club. Good times! :thumbsup:

This.
I like Cartwright, but can't keep watching the team struggle due stale/ineffective coaching.

Geeman
21-08-13, 06:51 PM
Furner sacked from Canberra, not one of the coaches I thought were on the chopping block.

http://www.nrl.com/furner-joins-major-nrl-coach-overhaul/tabid/10874/newsid/74172/default.aspx

karnage
22-08-13, 08:38 AM
I was speaking to a mate of mine who is in NRL coaching circles and he said to me that, in his opinion, Neil Henry would be absolutely mad to take an assistant at any under performing club.

He said that Henry is a Head Coach and if he came into a club, say the Titans, and implemented a few key structural changes that saw the team improve from 12th-9th up into 6th - 2nd (which is realistic given our playing roster) who would get the credit for that improvement?? You can be sure that it would not be the assistant coach who just got fired from an under performing contender, it would be the head coach who just happens to be best mates with the owner.

For that reason, he believes he will end up at Melbourne.

lonegull
22-08-13, 08:46 AM
I was speaking to a mate of mine who is in NRL coaching circles and he said to me that, in his opinion, Neil Henry would be absolutely mad to take an assistant at any under performing club.

He said that Henry is a Head Coach and if he came into a club, say the Titans, and implemented a few key structural changes that saw the team improve from 12th-9th up into 6th - 2nd (which is realistic given our playing roster) who would get the credit for that improvement?? You can be sure that it would not be the assistant coach who just got fired from an under performing contender, it would be the head coach who just happens to be best mates with the owner.

For that reason, he believes he will end up at Melbourne.

great points, totaly agree

Toads
22-08-13, 08:54 AM
Pretty well sums it up, karnage.

To me, until the pair of them are outed altogether, I'm not expecting anything to improve anytime soon.

Also, I admire Mexican Titan's stance on renewing his membership next year, just for the sake of keeping a NRL Team on the Coast. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a Supporter that frequents this forum that doesn't want a Gold Coast Team in the Comp.

But when it comes to the crunch, the team will eventually crash and burn while Searle and Cartwright remain in their roles. The club needs drastic restructuring, otherwise it'll simply be a case of sitting back and watch it go **** up with those two holding their key positions. It's only a matter of time.

If they pull a genuine figure of 5000 members for the 2014 season, I'll be quite surprised while those two are there..

C-Whiz
22-08-13, 05:11 PM
it would be the head coach who just happens to be best mates with the owner. This is the way i see it.

The only reason anyone, including all of us on here, would take a pay-cut and a demotion is:

a. you are on the bones of your a$$ and need any job, in any position.
b. you are gaining knowledge and/or experience from the person above you (nup, that's not gonna happen here)
c. you are waiting to be promoted into the position above you when the boss realises you are better than the person above you (nup, that's not gonna happen here).

So, anyone who came to the club as an assistant has to be either in position a or b. Not ideal.

Coaster
23-08-13, 12:22 AM
We need a new everything.
Stating with the coach.

Smakked
23-08-13, 07:53 AM
We need a new everything.
Stating with the coach.

Pretty much this, 2014 is looking grimm with alot of dissapointment

Titanic
23-08-13, 09:07 AM
There can't be disappointment unless there are unrealistic expectations ... in my case I am not expecting much except more time with the family.

TITAN PETE
25-08-13, 06:35 PM
If Stuart & Price can keep their jobs this season Carty should be a real chance at coaching the Kangaroos for the World Cup this year

Whats Doing
25-08-13, 06:41 PM
What a dunderhead decision to go in with Michaels and Srama on the bench. You only need an injury to one of the big forwards and you are left with only one big forward on the rotation bench.

Guess what, Mini was injured in the first 10 minutes which left the Titans with only one big forward on the interchange bench for 70 minutes.

Really feel sorry for the players who played their heart out against the Warriors only to be short charged by ridiculous coaching decisions.

Titanic
25-08-13, 07:32 PM
what happened to Ioane who I thought was named originally?

TITAN PETE
25-08-13, 07:55 PM
what happened to Ioane who I thought was named originally?

He warmed up but was left out obviously because Michaels is better :?)

Titanic
25-08-13, 09:46 PM
of course, I don't know I didn't get it ... much better to fight fire with a fart.

Griff0
26-08-13, 09:56 AM
This headline isn’t just because I tipped the Titans and therefore fell further behind in my tipping comp.

The Warriors deserved their win. They looked more likely throughout – which brings me to the main point of all this.

There’s less than two minutes left on the clock, the Warriors leading 24-22 and New Zealand manage to gift Gold Coast a set of six inside their territory. Aiden Sezer finds touch 40 metres out from the Warriors’ line.

This is it. Not just the result of the game but the Titans’ season is in the balance.

Six tackles to get a try or a penalty.

Now let’s begin one of the most feeble last attacking sets for a victory that I’ve seen in 30 years. It is emblematic of a larger problem afflicting many of the coaches in our game: an unwillingness or inability to foster creativity in their players.

Tackle 1: Brad Takairangi taps, passes to Aidan Sezer who hands it to Myles for a “settler” (what we’re settling I have no idea). Fair enough. I’ll let them burn one tackle centring the ball and setting themselves for…

Tackle 2: Beau Falloon out of dummy half, turning it inside for Taylor, hitting the ball at medium-fast speed (1 min to go, remember). Dave Taylor pushes forward, hands free. Nobody near him pushing up in support.

Tackle 3: Falloon to Nate Myles, who looks outside, sees nobody coming on to the ball and decides to take a slow hit-up.

Tackle 4: No playmaker in sight as Dave Taylor once again takes the ball at three-quarter speed, never looks to pass and dies with the football.

Tackle 5: Sluggish second-man play as Sezer throws it behind Ryan James to Ashley Harrison jogging into the defence with little support.

Tackle 6: Lottery. Cross-field kick. Too big. Kevin Gordon almost pulls off a miracle. Game over.

Really? This is the best a playoff contender can throw at the opposition with their final set?

The New Zealand Warriors, not exactly a defensive juggernaut, were forced to defend one play in that final set, a mediocre bomb. (And they still barely managed to hold them out.)

John Cartwright is to blame: either he hasn’t coached his unit to be more creative in their challenge or the players aren’t listening.

You choose. Either way, he has to go. And other coaches should be watching.

By MG Burbank, 26 Aug 2013

http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/08/26/why-are-john-cartwrights-titans-so-inept/

This guy gets it

C-Whiz
26-08-13, 04:47 PM
John Cartwright is to blame: either he hasn’t coached his unit to be more creative in their challenge or the players aren’t listening.
Not a bad post, and I have been wondering for quite some time now if Carty coaches guys NOT TO RUN OFF THE BALL CARRIER, just to minimise mistakes and to get the completion stats to look better.

But when you watch Meady and Flash running off each other and linking up, it begs the question why more aren't looking for this type of play. Alby is another who can find a gap, and I don't know how many times Birdy has stood in a tackle with 3 defenders hanging off him, both arms free, and no one to pass it to. :doh:

Z-man is constantly being credited with line breaks, apparently leads the comp, but I can't even remember the last time he offloaded to someone in clear space to turn it into points.

So, with all this talent busting through the line, standing in tackles, looking for runners and finding no one, is it being coached out of them in favour of better completion rates that have little return in the form of points but look good on the coaches KPI's?

DavidBouveng
26-08-13, 08:57 PM
Not a bad post, and I have been wondering for quite some time now if Carty coaches guys NOT TO RUN OFF THE BALL CARRIER, just to minimise mistakes and to get the completion stats to look better.

But when you watch Meady and Flash running off each other and linking up, it begs the question why more aren't looking for this type of play. Alby is another who can find a gap, and I don't know how many times Birdy has stood in a tackle with 3 defenders hanging off him, both arms free, and no one to pass it to. :doh:

Z-man is constantly being credited with line breaks, apparently leads the comp, but I can't even remember the last time he offloaded to someone in clear space to turn it into points.

So, with all this talent busting through the line, standing in tackles, looking for runners and finding no one, is it being coached out of them in favour of better completion rates that have little return in the form of points but look good on the coaches KPI's?

http://http://completelyfreesalesadvice.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/janine.jpg

Titanic
27-08-13, 10:31 AM
Look at the stats for offloads and see if Myles, Harrison, Ridge, James or Douglas are anywhere near the average performances of an NRL forward. You can then add Bailey, Minichiello, Bird and Taylor's erratic passing game and this all coached by a ball-playing "legend" ... well fmd something is wrong with all that.

titanfan1980
27-08-13, 03:40 PM
Look at the stats for offloads and see if Myles, Harrison, Ridge, James or Douglas are anywhere near the average performances of an NRL forward. You can then add Bailey, Minichiello, Bird and Taylor's erratic passing game and this all coached by a ball-playing "legend" ... well fmd something is wrong with all that.

Your right our offloads are down.. But it's not the forwards I seem Taylor James and Bird looking for support all the time, it was still an never being there.. You have to look at slater barba inglis.. Offloads are only possible when someone is calling your name. The longer mead plays there the more he will get it.. Cause zillman has been woeful at it for a long time

DavidBouveng
27-08-13, 04:25 PM
Part of albys brilliance was his support play.

He was almost leading try scorer at halfway point of season and most of the breaks came from backing up.

No co incidence that for the first time in a few years we had a threat backing our forwards up and we started scoring some points and got well entrench in the top 8.

karnage
28-08-13, 11:14 PM
Great post Griffo!!:salute:

a_guest
30-08-13, 12:51 AM
At this point we'll have to wait for him to get old and grey before we get a real coach.

C-Whiz
06-09-13, 08:29 AM
I've got a question for all you guys and girls, not about Carty specifically, but about coaching in general.

We've all heard the mantra that defence wins games.
We all look at the stats at the end of the game and rue our incomplete sets, and how many penalties we gave away.

So, what are your thoughts on the "modern game" tactics and coaching?

For me, I would rather play attacking football where the goal is to outscore your opponent, rather than focus on trying to hold them under your score.

Would you rather see our team hold onto the ball for each set of 6, playing error free and having good stats after 80 minutes, or would you rather see them chancing their hand with sneaky off-loads, chip/chase, grubbers, 4th, even 3rd play kicking options etc and turning the ball over early every now and again?

And then we can talk about discipline. Are penalties really "coach killers" that need to be trained out of our game, or are they a display of a team that is aggressive and ready to walk the tightrope of pushing themselves and the game to it's limits? Does trying to play penalty free mean you have to play well within your ability, to stifle your natural aggression and give the opposition less to worry about?

I'm not interested in stats as much as I am interested in results.

I care about the quality of football we play, but not at the expense of dumbing down our game to play error/penalty free. And I certainly don't want to watch our team keep dying with the ball in their hands, or putting in a nothing bomb on the 5th to stick with the "game plan", or not contesting a high ball because it might cause an error.

I want to see the quality payers we have go out and play to the best of their natural ability, to take quality chances when they see them, to use their skill sets to create something out of the ordinary, to keep the opposition guessing, and to play hard and tough and put it all on the line.

Thoughts?

DavidBouveng
06-09-13, 09:28 AM
I'm on my phone c whiz and might give a longer response later, but a few thoughts on top of my head...

*completion rates and expansive play - coaches want good completion rates because a stat somewhere says that the team with better CR wins x% of games. That's all well and good until the pursuit of completion rates expunges any form of attack. we can be a good example of this.

The thing is to find the threshold where there is enough risk taken to create some attack but not destroy the teams possession or continue to lose ball on own try line.

This is ideally at around 80%. 90 -100% is usually boring and risk free, except for the great teams in a hot patch or an origin game. Much Less than 70, and most of the time you are on a suicide mission giving up good ball.

The biggest thing is... What constitutes risk? You would think that anything other than a basic hit up is brain surgery sometimes, so reluctant are some teams (and us) to move the ball at all. But these are highly paid players and simple catching and passing should not be considered a risk. Moving the ball two passes wider to Taylor or bird early in the tackle count or even the centre should be a pretty easy exercise and often teams are compressed early and there will be room.

If it is greasy, dewy, or u are under fire from opposition and need to consolidate, then lock it up for a bit and go straight, but to go wide and use the ball shouldn't be a mortal sin for any team. The best teams use it to great effect.

I could go on all day, but my point is chasing completion rates for completions rates same can be a false economy ( almost as much as the tackles in pop 20, which just tells me how poor teams are at attack, not how they have dominated possession), and teams should strive for a balance that delivers points as well good stat %.

Titanic
06-09-13, 10:34 PM
Completion rates should feature at certain positions on the field or as an integral part of strategy within a game plan against a particular opponent or when the weather is against you ... they are not the centre of the coaching philosophy ever.

Steve
07-09-13, 07:06 AM
For me, I would rather play attacking football where the goal is to outscore your opponent, rather than focus on trying to hold them under your score.

That was Penrith in 2003. Weren't worried what the opposition scored, just aimed to score more, and you got some great games out of that.

Look at the minor premiers this year, and they have the best defensive record by far. 325 against. (Okay, Manly is a close second, 328).
But they also lead in points for, 640, closest rival there is the bunnies on 588.

As far as i'm concerned, scoring points is always the most important part, not holding out the other team, but really you should be doing both.

What's the point of keeping the other team to zero if you can't cross the line either?

Mexican titan
07-09-13, 10:17 AM
Completion rates should feature at certain positions on the field or as an integral part of strategy within a game plan against a particular opponent or when the weather is against you ... they are not the centre of the coaching philosophy ever.

Correct. I remember Souths had the best completion rate quite a few years ago...and they came last that year.