PDA

View Full Version : Albert Kelly re-signs with Titans until 2015!

toddythetitan
12-06-13, 08:46 AM
Hey guys saw this in todays league week, come on guys this kid is half the reason we are 5th!! I've driven up from bundaberg a few times this year not to see the mascots the live entertainment or the promos, but we actually have a player now that makes you sit on the edge of your seat who can create something out of nothing make grab them intercepts and run 80 metres regularly sidestep like benji and put on them big hits on come on management make the gold coast Kelly's home for the next 5 years provided he does the right thing by us regarding his behaviour, come on management do the right thing!

Albert Kelly- arguably the form halfback in the nrl is at WAR with the gold coast management Iverson his contract. Kelly's manager Matt Rose has revealed the star is assessing his options after the club withdrew an offer for an upgrade-because the 22 year old regarded it as insulting. A match winner for the titans several times already this season l. Kelly is obesity a paupers contract after being signed over the summer as a back up to Scott Prince, who subsequently went to the Broncos. Albert is living on nothing and he's filthy with the club for not treating him better Rose his manager said. He is virtually playing on match payements and is playing wounded just to get money to eat every week. I can't believe how the club are treating a guy who is one of there stars. They offered him an upgrade but It was so paltry we Told them it was insulting- and then they withdrew it. He is under contract for next season with N option their way and if we had a way out right now we would look at it

Titanic
12-06-13, 12:42 PM
And life at the Titans goes on ... we talk about Barba and don't stitch Kelly ... we talk about credibility but our management is anything but stable ... we wave our sabres about being top four and haven't beaten anyone of consequence except for a lucky win against Manly.

beeps
12-06-13, 01:08 PM
topics like this is where we are really gunna miss David May, giving us on the forum updates on how things are progressing, shutting down rumours and providing facts.

I hope this isn't where they are with Kellys contract, as far as I'm aware hasn't Kelly met all the requirements and gone beyond.

teke
12-06-13, 01:22 PM
Why did he sign a paltry contract for this yr and especially the next if he didn't like it.

Looks as though he will have to tough if out like Srama and co.

gotitans101_
12-06-13, 01:30 PM
We were the only club willing to give him a final chance in the NRL and not even a year later, this is how he responds?

I do wonder how much truth has gone into that story though.

DavidBouveng
12-06-13, 03:25 PM
Unfortunately, with a shortage on quality halves in the NRL, we are going to get held to ransom at some point.

Widdop 500k, soward 400k, sandow 550k and corey norman for 450k all recently, and they can't hold a candle to this kids talent.

I believe in a perfect world, he would play this year on agreed terms, next year we make a goodwill gesture and bump him up a bit to reflect what he has brought so far, while also showing that we took the risk.

Then the new contract for 2015 can be for the amount he would then be worth.

Management to remember we shed prince to have some coin to chase an A level halfback... We have him already, and it won't cost the 800k that cronk or JT would have, barely half that.

Titanic
12-06-13, 04:55 PM
There is no such thing as toughing it out any more ... it's get what you can or go somewhere else if you're hungry or stay for unders if you're comfortable.

DIEHARD
12-06-13, 05:38 PM
Kelly deserves a fair and healthy contract. He not only wins us games but fans. People want to see him play.

Just sign him, he is our HALFBACK!!

Smakked
12-06-13, 06:27 PM
Yeah Give him a good contract or we will loose him for sure

teke
12-06-13, 06:47 PM
There is no such thing as toughing it out any more ... it's get what you can or go somewhere else if you're hungry or stay for unders if you're comfortable.Well it looks like he has to tough it out here if they withdrew their paltry offer.

"Playing injured for food" :laugh:

Im with DB, he has to play this yr on agreed terms and then the Titans can make a goodwill gesture next yr.

He has only played a handful of games in the grand scheme of things and it wouldnt look good him moving off to his 4th club in how many yrs?

All that said - I would give him an upgrade

Titanic
12-06-13, 07:51 PM
The problem with that is he will get snapped-up by someone else while we wait him out ... a contract which gives him some financial security whilst keeping him within the behavioural guidelines is what's required I reckon.

Mr Stupid
12-06-13, 07:54 PM
Bugger, I hate this stuff. My family are Members but don't read the forums so are blissfully ignorant to all this hand wringing that I go through��. When I told them DM had resigned they thought I meant the winger! They just turn up at games and yell their hearts out. Give the lad what he deserves plus a bit more with a bonus on top and put us out of our misery��.

Titanic
12-06-13, 07:59 PM
lol BT ... if you'd said they couldn't choose between Bailey, White and May I would have sympathised.

Ryan
13-06-13, 09:16 AM
Currently my favourite player.
He must be a priority to sign - a fan and match winning player.
But he can't just play half a season and expect to be upgraded to top dollar straight away, especially after being booted out of three clubs.
I hope a fair agreement is made for both sides and pen is put to paper....

Tamwelg
13-06-13, 09:24 AM
Currently my favourite player.
He must be a priority to sign - a fan and match winning player.
But he can't just play half a season and expect to be upgraded to top dollar straight away, especially after being booted out of three clubs.
I hope a fair agreement is made for both sides and pen is put to paper....

This is exactly how I feel as well.

Toads
13-06-13, 09:27 AM
A bit like the old saying. You've got to crawl before you walk..

As most have mentioned here, Both parties should honour what was agreed on during the off season and continue that for the remainder of the 2013 season. At the end of it, and both parties are happy, then start talking of a decent NRL salary. Six months isn't even enough to scope out how injury prone any player is..

There's no denying his talent. Just a bit too soon for his manager to be calling for the big bucks.

Mr Stupid
13-06-13, 10:34 AM
I'm just alarmed at the apparent strength of feeling being expressed by the Kelly camp. Accusations of maltreatment, of being "insulted" and of feeling "filthy" toward the club. Of course this may being contractual brinksmanship but it smacks of a pretty poor breakdown in relations if it is even half true. How has Kelly been allowed to get to this point of dissatisfaction? Who is managing the situation?

karnage
13-06-13, 10:46 AM
I don't for a second believe that we are chasing Ben Barba. That is just our management throwing stuff at the media to distract from the real issue - the fact that we don't have a CEO and that Searle is still lurking.

This exact scenario was played out with DCE last year and comes up every year. We need to pay him but can't pay overs for someone who may not put in once he gets the cash.

TITAN PETE
13-06-13, 10:55 AM
This from NRL Gossip on Facebook

"The Broncos are currently chasing Raiders Dave Shillington & Titans Albert Kelly, its rumoured Kelly is extremely unhappy with the terms of his Gold Coast contract & will seek a release if his demands are not met"

Upgrade him for next year & beyond this guy puts bums on seats & without him we wouldn't be where we are today..

Hail Sezer
13-06-13, 11:06 AM
This from NRL Gossip on Facebook

"The Broncos are currently chasing Raiders Dave Shillington & Titans Albert Kelly, its rumoured Kelly is extremely unhappy with the terms of his Gold Coast contract & will seek a release if his demands are not met"

Upgrade him for next year & beyond this guy puts bums on seats & without him we wouldn't be where we are today..

Jesus christ this is esculating.

Give him the god damn upgrade.

Smakked
13-06-13, 11:14 AM
I can see this ending badly Mainly because i feel Searle is behind it , so we all know what happens when he touches things.......

Toads
13-06-13, 01:32 PM
If the above statement is true..

**** it, cut him loose if his mob is going to be so demanding. Good chance once he gets his figure, he'll slip back into his old ways. It happens to a lot of folks through all walks of life when they're in a comfort zone..

gotitans101_
13-06-13, 01:40 PM
We've got the extra cash so just upgrade him. The last thing we want is for the Donkeys to steal him from us.

Toads
13-06-13, 01:47 PM
Dumped by 2-3 teams, 6 months with us, seems to be quite demanding. Figure it out fellas, are we really that desperate to risk it all going bum up down the track?

If his heart is not in the Titans, ditch him and groom some of our younger talent for the job instead. **** being held to ransom by one player.. :fist:

EDIT: Keep in mind, no Club would have him and we appeared to be the only Club to help resurrect his career. I thought I had a short memory..

gotitans101_
13-06-13, 01:50 PM
I felt the same way at first Toads but now I've heard the Donkeys are chasing him it becomes a hell of a lot more personal.

Also as others have said, Kelly is the kind of player who puts bums on seats and can change the game in an instant. I don't know who we could replace him with.

Toads
13-06-13, 01:56 PM
I understand what you're saying, Mate. But if you fold to the demands of one. Others will try and walk over you too.. I wouldn't want him at the Donkeys either, but if he ****s up again, it'll be in their laps, not ours..

karnage
13-06-13, 02:34 PM
Dumped by 2-3 teams, 6 months with us, seems to be quite demanding. Figure it out fellas, are we really that desperate to risk it all going bum up down the track?

If his heart is not in the Titans, ditch him and groom some of our younger talent for the job instead. **** being held to ransom by one player.. :fist:

EDIT: Keep in mind, no Club would have him and we appeared to be the only Club to help resurrect his career. I thought I had a short memory..

We are definitely that desparate mate!! We are a wooden spoon team next year without him.

Mr Stupid
13-06-13, 03:29 PM
As a famous Queenslander said recently, I think we should all take a "cold shower" and not panic. It's probably all BS. I mean, it flies in the face of all the other noises we've heard from Albert about how he feels about the club

Toads
13-06-13, 03:37 PM
Yeah, you're probably right, Mate.

My previous comments were more of a rant, it still doesn't change my opinion if it's true. But I guess we should give it a chance for the truth to surface..

C-Whiz
13-06-13, 05:07 PM
Seems pretty simple, draw up an incentive based contract that rewards his on-field performance with a yearly increase in base salary for every year he stays on form with the Titans.

Win-win, and the Titans have nothing to lose. Then it's up to Kelly with how much food he wants to put on his table.

Julius Sezer
13-06-13, 06:44 PM
I'm getting really worried. Kelly/Sezer are the future. The club really needs to invest their money on them. We need to lock them up for as long as possible. I do feel like Kelly should be glad that Titans picked him up in the first place so Kelly needs to be considerate towards the club.

If Kelly does go to the Broncos then i'll be truly devastated.

Chaos
13-06-13, 07:08 PM
Seems pretty simple, draw up an incentive based contract that rewards his on-field performance with a yearly increase in base salary for every year he stays on form with the Titans.

I wish there was more of these types of contracts but a defined salary cap makes it difficult to manage.

It could be possible with a smart recruitment system that rewards young enthusiastic players coming up.
As you supercoach players know...they would act like cash cows.

Mexican titan
13-06-13, 08:23 PM

If his heart is not in the Titans, ditch him and groom some of our younger talent for the job instead. .

Err, what young talent.

Toads
13-06-13, 08:54 PM
Err, what young talent.

I can't say for sure as I haven't seen any of our younger fellas form since 2011. But what about Jamal Fogarty for instance. From what I seen of him in 2011 impressed me. Marmin Barba might be able to adapt to role. Even the QCup might have a few up to the task. mrdrew would probably drop some more names than me with the younger fellas..

Are you of the opinion that we're screwed without Alby and/or we got no one to draw on to fill the role?

Ryan
13-06-13, 09:08 PM
Are you of the opinion that we're screwed without Alby and/or we got no one to draw on to fill the role?

I am.
And if he goes to the donkeys I'll neck myself :(

Toads
13-06-13, 09:15 PM
Ahh well, fold the club up 'n we can all go home. For what, all because we couldn't/wouldn't retain Alby.. :laugh:

We must've been on a similar trial of thought lately. Last night, I was contemplating of necking myself if our Club song was based on Yellow Submarine.. :D

Mr Stupid
13-06-13, 09:58 PM
“I’m just excited to be part of a good team, we’ve got some strike players that are firing and some good halves so it’s a great time to be re-signing.’’

Bull explaining why he's hanging around.

DIEHARD
14-06-13, 09:23 AM
We have young halves but that doesnt mean they should be bilo halves.

Hail Sezer
14-06-13, 10:39 AM
He's locked in. Article on titans website.

Hes signed until 2015, same as Sezer. Thank god for that.

Mr Stupid
14-06-13, 10:49 AM
[B]The iSelect Gold Coast Titans have secured a major coup for the future after today re-signing in-form halfback Albert Kelly on a two-year contract for seasons 2014 and 2015.

****'in YES!!!

gotitans101_
14-06-13, 10:50 AM
Done and dusted. Thank #### we didn't lose him.

DIEHARD
14-06-13, 10:52 AM
Kelly a Titan for two more years

The iSelect Gold Coast Titans have secured a major coup for the future after today re-signing in-form halfback Albert Kelly on a two-year contract for seasons 2014 and 2015.

Kelly, who is the Titans’ leading try scorer after 13 Rounds, has secured a two-year extension on the back of a stellar debut season for the club since arriving on the Gold Coast on a short term contract last November.

The 22-year-old said he was enjoying life on the Gold Coast and was excited to have secured his future for the next two years.

“The Titans showed great faith in me to give me a chance and I’m grateful for that opportunity,” said Kelly.
“It’s great to have my future all sorted for the next few years so I can continue my development with the Titans.

“I still want to prove myself as a regular first grader and I’m excited about the next few years here at the Titans.’’

iSelect Titans Coach John Cartwright said Kelly was an important part of the club’s youthful ‘spine’ which includes fullback William Zillman (aged 25), five-eighth Aidan Sezer (21) and hooker Matt Srama (21).
“It’s a great signing for the club. I think the players we have in halves, the hooking role and at fullback are guys we can build the future of the club around,’’ said Cartwright

“We’ve got a good group of experienced players but to have a core group at such an early stage of their careers and doing the job now is great because they’re only going to get better.

“I think the club can build itself around the likes of those guys.’’

Cartwright said Kelly had proved he deserved a two-year contract extension based on his commitment on and off the field since arriving at the club.

“I think the important thing for Albert is he’s got a group of players and staff that care about him and want to see him do well,’’ said Cartwright.

“Since he turned up in November, he has trained the house down and he fully deserves an extension.
“It’s great that it’ll give him and his family stability for the next two years.’’

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

DIEHARD
14-06-13, 10:54 AM
Done and dusted. Thank #### we didn't lose him.

You couldnt be more right. So many clubs and other supporters were licking their lips.

I feel so much more confident about the teams future now, we can settle in with our halfback for 2013, 2014 and 2015.

DIEHARD
14-06-13, 10:55 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/5834_557884357586145_762635550_n.jpg

TITAN PETE
14-06-13, 11:34 AM
Now that's over lets hope Alby can show his magic & put Souths away on Sunday :fist:

gothabull
14-06-13, 12:30 PM
Now that's over lets hope Alby can show his magic & put Souths away on Sunday :fist:

Thank god would of been gutted if we lost him now let's smash the rabbits I'm so excited

shamus
14-06-13, 02:59 PM
Last night, I was contemplating of necking myself if our Club song was based on Yellow Submarine.. :D

:doh: I came up with Yellow Submarine about 3 years ago. I thought it was quite catchy. ;)

I just did a search for it but can't find it....Lucky for you I guess Toads as Titans need as much support as they can get. :thumbsup:

Titanic
14-06-13, 03:27 PM
Now sign Tomkins and I'll be able to sleep at night.

Sydney Titans Fanatic
14-06-13, 04:05 PM
Dunno what all you peeps were worried about... Haha

Glad he made the right choice but

Toads
14-06-13, 04:40 PM
It is good news indeed, especially hearing the bit about honouring his commitment to the Titans for giving him a fresh start. If Alby makes good of this opportunity with his young Family, here on the Coast. He might just make the place his home for many years to come. :)

Toads
14-06-13, 04:45 PM
:doh: I came up with Yellow Submarine about 3 years ago. I thought it was quite catchy. ;)

I just did a search for it but can't find it....Lucky for you I guess Toads as Titans need as much support as they can get. :thumbsup:

LOL, each to their own I guess, Mate. I just can't cop much of The Beatles. I'm more of a Rolling Stones man. :)

As for Titans needing Fans. I'd imagine they'd appreciate getting the numbers up. Just not of my make up though. :p