PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Sharwood is a sports hack/ Nate Myles opinion peice

C-Whiz
07-06-13, 06:29 PM
Does anyone know who Anthony Sharwood is?

For those who don't, he is a sports "reporter"/journalist/opinion writer who used to work on a website called "The Punch", and has somehow managed to get into some other plum positions with News Ltd.

Firstly, I should point out that "The Punch" was an opinion site, so they were often entitled to write factually incorrect ramblings with no accountability, under the guise of "opening up debate", but it doesn't really excuse a sports journo for having no idea about sports he likes to write about as if he knows something about them.

He has posted his latest peice of "investigative opinion" at News.com.au http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/does-this-video-prove-nate-myles-is-a-grub/story-fndujljl-1226659287845, where they obviously have some sort of tolerance for a total lack of integrity for their "journalists" storytelling.

Some of his thoughtful insights are, "In fact, the video shows that if Gallen is a thug, Myles is his soul mate.

Either that or he's a hideously clumsy man with such flimsy control over his bodily functions, it's a miracle he has carved out a career in professional sport.

Could be one or the other. Not for us to say.".
Clearly an open-minded, not judgmental consideration. :rolleyes:

And this, "Apologists for Myles say he leads into tackles with his head, which is a bit like saying a pit bull leads with its teeth."
Ok Ant, sounds like you really know the game. D!ckhead.... :fight:

Anyway, have a look at the footage, (also located here on youtube) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jJbMKEi_r0&feature=player_embedded and as any one who has played, watched, or even heard 2 guys talk in a bar about Rugby League and how to make a tackle, would know in an instant that the video and his article is so far from knowing anything about the game or even Nate Myles effective tackling style, that it is a wonder he can refer to himself as a sports writer, journalist, or even part time observer of most of the sports he chooses (well, apparently he gets paid for his regularly wrong opinions) to write about.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but when you are employed by someone like News Ltd and write sports stories for those who need to be informed, you would like to think he could either be fair, objective or at least have some idea of the sports he writes about.

rANT over. :boo:

C-Whiz
18-06-13, 06:32 PM
Haha, here is the latest from the "sports journalist" Anthony Sharwood.......

A few bad men: Why I won't watch State of Origin

by Anthony Sharwood
news.com.au
June 17, 2013 3:14PM

Sports journalist to boycott Origin II
He's had enough of deluded footballers
Read more: Blake Ferguson questioned by police
Will you boycott State of Origin?

NUP, that'll do me. I've been watching State of Origin since I was a kid and writing about it for newspapers, magazines and online media for the last 10 years. But I'll give Origin II a miss, thanks.

I had a big day planned for Origin II next Wednesday. A build-up piece, live tweeting during the game, a spot of post-match analysis. All that and plenty of cheering for the mighty Blues.

Not now. Someone has to take a stand against this endless parade of idiots and it might as well be me. Don't know what my editor will say, and frankly, I don't care. Next Wednesday, I'm out. Anyone know a nice restaurant?

Let me make this clear. It's not any single incident that's broken me. It's not Blake Ferguson's alleged nightclub shenanigans, or Paul Gallen's punch, or the Nate Myles dirty tactics which provoked Gallen's punch, or Gallen's loathsome stitch-picking five years ago which rightly invited calls of hypocrisy.

It's not Mark Gasnier's vile phone message in Origin camp years ago, or any of the assaults, DUIs and assorted outbreaks of drunken idiocy which many of the 34 men on both teams have been guilty of at one time or another.

It's a combination of all of the above, that's what it is. It's the fact that we're invited to be alarmed for a day or so when someone does something stupid, then expected to move on and forget it.

What these footballers don't realise is how lucky they are. Do they remember what it's like out here in the real world in our blue collar and white collar jobs?

Do they realise how constrained we are in our behaviour, how the faintest outburst lands us down at HR? Do they understand what a freedom it is to be able to unleash the raw power of their bodies as part of their daily duties?

Yet still they have to punch people instead of tackling them. Still they drink themselves stupid in the name of bonding, to the point where the inevitable atrocities occur.

Footballers seem to style themselves in the manner of Jack Nicholson's character Colonel Nathan Jessup in the movie A Few Good Men, who famously said, "my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives".

Footballers are deluded about this. Their existence doesn't save lives. If anything, they cost lives because of all those young men out there who copy them.

There are some wonderful human beings on both the NSW and Qld teams. Robbie Farah and Cameron Smith are just two who come to mind. There's also a great footy match ahead, with plenty at stake.

But there's something more important at stake than one state of the Commonwealth attempting to break a rival state's seven-year sporting domination. There's a principle at stake.

NSW did well suspending James Tamou from Origin II, hot on the heels of the NRL fining him heavily. Then just when you think sports authorities understand that the public will only cop so much, the Blues publish a sombre tweet about the latest incident with the hashtag #UptheBlues.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/opinion/a-few-bad-men-why-i-wont-watch-state-of-origin/story-fnh4jt54-1226665082446#ixzz2WYek6bxI

They're upset about the grubby behaviour, but they still want us to cheer for them. Sorry, no can do. Like I say, I'm opting out. I want to send a signal, however insignificant, that people have a right to expect better from the highly-paid young sportsmen of Australia.

The website for which I work, news.com.au, will still offer a complete coverage. But I won't be part of it. If you feel like joining me on the sidelines, please use the #BoycottOrigin hashtag on Twitter.

Oh, and if you've got even the faintest idea how to explain the Origin I Gallen biffo to my kids, that's something I'd still really like to hear.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/opinion/a-few-bad-men-why-i-wont-watch-state-of-origin/story-fnh4jt54-1226665082446#ixzz2WYhQV0pt

What a champion. :boo: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

This is the same guy who 2 weeks ago could give everyone a detailed "reason" why Gallen was justified in punching Myles while he had his hands by his side, but this week wants us to explain it to his son because it's all just a bit too much for diddums to handle.... what a complete tosser.... :fight: :fight: :fight:

Chaos
18-06-13, 07:03 PM
Wow thats hilarious...I haven't seen somebody cry in public like that since that Britney Spears fan on youtube.

Who does he work for...news.com?