PDA

View Full Version : Ridge, Campbell in Roma for 'I Can' launch

DIEHARD
30-05-13, 11:17 AM
Ridge, Campbell in Roma for 'I Can' launch

iSelect Titans forward Ben Ridge returned to his hometown of Roma this week to assist Titans 4 Tomorrow ambassador Preston Campbell launch the second year of the successful 'I Can' Indigenous program.

Titans 4 Tomorrow, the not-for-profit welfare arm of the Gold Coast Titans (NRL), has welcomed Santos GLNG as a corporate supporter of the 'I Can' Indigenous program, joining Origin Energy who have backed the program on behalf of Australia Pacific LNG since its inception last year.

The I Can program has also been extended to include the Sporting Chance Girls Academy programas part of the Federal Government?s Sporting Chance Program.

I Can supports Indigenous students across seven schools in the regions of Chinchilla, Dalby, Miles, Roma and Tara Shire, encouraging them to complete year 12 and pursue further education, training and employment opportunities.

The program includes workshops and individual mentoring for middle and senior school students to encourage them to identify career aspirations and post-school pathways into further education, training or employment.

The trained facilitators includeretired professional rugby league players Preston Campbell and Clinton Toopi who attended the launch at Roma State College.

The program?s effectiveness in 2012 is evidenced by this comment from Alison Young, deputy principal of Chinchilla State High School: ?We feel this program, particularly that it is run over three years, is the most successful and dynamic intervention this school and area has ever had. It is just great to have these fine young men and women from I CAN in our school.?

This success has been made possible due to engagement from the corporate sector and Titans 4 Tomorrow is appreciative of the support of Origin Energy on behalf of Australia Pacific LNG and Santos GLNG, the National Rugby League and the Federal Government.

Titans 4 Tomorrow managing director Michael Searle says T4T is privileged to have Santos GLNG join the I Can program as a corporate partner.

"Having such iconic international companies as Origin Energy and Santos as partners in the Titans 4 Tomorrow All Girls Academies speaks volumes of the importance of these mining partners to the Surat Basin and their desire to make a real difference to the local communities in Western Queensland,? Mr Searle said.

?This is a wonderful start for what will be a long term presence of the Titans in the Surat Basin.

?Obtaining real outcomes in our community has never been about kicking a football with boys for the Titans - it has been about gender equity and about making a real difference with educational and career outcomes to the Queensland community and we view this as long term generational opportunity for not only these young girls but for their children and grandchildren. The success of these educational programs will be measured for generations to come.?

Santos GLNG Roma team leader Jamie Miller said the company was pleased to be part of a program that would empower local indigenous students.

?Being part of the I CAN program is a great way we can continue to support education and training initiatives in the region,?Mr Miller said.

?We are committed to providing opportunities for indigenous students and I?m looking forward to working with Titans 4 Tomorrow to increase the skills and capabilities in our community.?

Origin General Manager, Approvals, Land and Environment, Rebecca Pickering said Origin had pioneered the support for I CAN from its inception and was proud to continue helping Indigenous youth development.

?For so many young people and particularly for young women education is the key that unlocks opportunities in all walks in life, while participation in sport delivers life-time benefits for personal and community health,? Mrs Pickering said.

"We welcome today's announcement of wider industry support and we're really pleased to see the evolution and extension of this important program to include girls and to reach more schools.?

Teachers have noted in particular the benefits of the cultural aspects of the I Can program and the emphasis on behaviour and responsibility. The program is enhancing the self-esteem, motivation and confidence of students, many of whom are becoming better team members and leaders.

Said Lane Brookes, a year 12 graduate from Roma State High School last year: ?Without the mentoring I received and guidance with goal-setting and managing my time, I wouldn?t have improved with my studies and got done what I needed to. Having footballers that I identify with involved made it so much easier and more satisfying; they gave me motivation, and others too. Most of us have gone onto get jobs and been quite successful.?

A further development in 2013 has been that Jessica Mauboy, well known singer and actor and inspirational Indigenous role model, has taken on the role of ambassador for the academies and taken a keen personal interest in its development. She is supported by world surfing champion Joel Parkinson.

The additional Sporting Chance Girls Academy programwill provide further resources and regular monitoring of students between I Can visits and the residential camps.

The function at Roma State College was attended by chairman of T4T Joshua Creamer (also president of Queensland Indigenous Lawyers Association), representatives of Origin, Santos, the Queensland Murray-Darling Committee and regional coordinator of Indigenous Education, Mr Wayne Williams.

Also attending the launch was Ridge, the boy from Mitchell, who has made a successful NRL career with the Titans. Ridge said he was proud of the impact the programs are having in his home region and reinforced the message to local youth of completing their school education and setting post-school goals and believing they can achieve them.

Source: http://www.titans.com.au