PDA

View Full Version : Round 12: TITANS vs COWBOYS

DIEHARD
25-05-13, 06:18 AM
TITANS vs COWBOYS

Coaster
25-05-13, 06:31 AM
I would like to see something between the 2 clubs for Brenton Bowen. Some sort of fund raiser or recognition

DIEHARD
25-05-13, 06:38 AM
This is a big one for me. Taking a few friends to this one. Also a Queensland derby and hoping we can strike while the Cowboys seem to be rather luckless.

TICKETS (http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/Show.aspx?sh=TIT1213)

DIEHARD
25-05-13, 06:40 AM
I would like to see something between the 2 clubs for Brenton Bowen. Some sort of fund raiser or recognition

Fantastic idea Shane.

Supergoose
25-05-13, 03:39 PM
The Cowboys have been playing well enough to blow their last two opponents away but didn't. We'll need to be at our very best in this one, although there will be starkly different teams for this game than the rest of the season due to origin selections I imagine.

DavidBouveng
27-05-13, 08:26 AM
always fun leading into a game with a good win.

looking forward to seeing Kelly and Idris carve up a depleted cows team.

Titanic
27-05-13, 08:47 AM
What we need are the two points ... a depleted Cows team with fringe players getting their chances behind the stars who have been holding them out and losing ... it has the feeling of an ambush and requires caution.

DavidBouveng
27-05-13, 09:00 AM
What we need are the two points ... a depleted Cows team with fringe players getting their chances behind the stars who have been holding them out and losing ... it has the feeling of an ambush and requires caution.

of course thats the case, but it cant hurt to enjoy the win and get a bit excited early in week, before all of our buttholes clench up a little later on.

and no matter which way you paint it, JT is a big loss.

Toads
27-05-13, 09:47 AM

Same Mate. Don't forget they'll probably have Mango steering them from the back, something he's quite capable of.

On a couple of occasions, the Cowboys have proven they can pull off a win without their big names. I for one am not being complacent about this game.

Lookin' forward to making it down for this home game.. :)

of course thats the case, but it cant hurt to enjoy the win and get a bit excited early in week, before all of our buttholes clench up a little later on.

and no matter which way you paint it, JT is a big loss.

:laugh:

Mr Stupid
27-05-13, 01:48 PM
What will our pack/bench look like? Any ideas?

Mr Stupid
27-05-13, 02:00 PM
Just hope we leave backline as is. No shifting Taka or Idris into the pack. Are White, Page, Ridge etc all good to go?

Geeman
27-05-13, 03:29 PM
Definitely a bit bit nervous about this one, but hopefully with the combination of missing origin stars and coming off a fantastic win we can get this one in the bag :thumbsup:

TITAN PETE
28-05-13, 12:16 PM
Taylor named to tackle Cowboys
Adam Gardini
Tuesday 28 May 2013 1:00 PM

iSelect Gold Coast Titans forward Dave Taylor has been named to make his return from injury in a reshuffled line-up for Sunday's clash against the North Queensland Cowboys at Skilled Park.

In the absence of State of Origin trio Nate Myles, Ashley Harrison and Greg Bird, iSelect Titans Coach John Cartwright today named Taylor to return from a calf injury as one of several new inclusions to tackle the Cowboys.

Taylor and back rower Mark Minichiello both return to the starting line-up, while utility Luke O'Dwyer has been named to make his return from a broken jaw suffered against the Newcastle Knights in Round 7.

Utility Jamie Dowling, who has been playing for feeder club Burleigh Bears, is the other new face to the side on the interchange bench in what will mark his second NRL appearance for the club.

The match will mark 22-year-old Jamal Idris' 100th NRL appearance since making his debut for the Bulldogs in August, 2008.

Fullback and Vice-Captain William Zillman will Captain the side in the absence of Co-Captains Myles and Bird.

iSelect Titans vs North Queensland Cowboys
Sunday, June 2
3pm ? Skilled Park

1 William Zillman
2 Kevin Gordon
3 Brad Takairangi
4 Jamal Idris
5 Anthony Don
6 Aidan Sezer
7 Albert Kelly
8 Luke Bailey
9 Matt Srama
10 Luke Douglas
11 David Taylor
12 Mark Minichiello
13 Luke O'Dwyer
Interchange
14 Ryan James
15 Mark Ioane
16 Jamie Dowling
17 Sam Irwin

TITAN PETE
28-05-13, 12:16 PM
Excellent team when u consider we have lost our entire back row.

thelwall
28-05-13, 12:22 PM
bowen out for 4 - 6 weeks

Mr Stupid
28-05-13, 12:22 PM
Excellent team when u consider we have lost our entire back row.

Yep...very good.

TITAN PETE
28-05-13, 12:50 PM
Cowboys

1 Clint Greenshields
2 Ashley Graham
3 Antonio Winterstein
4 Kane Linnett
5 Kalifa Faifai Loa
6 Michael Morgan
7 Robert Lui
8 Ashton Sims
9 Rory Kostjasyn
10 Scott Bolton
11 Tariq Sims
12 Glenn Hall
13 Dallas Johnson

Interchange
14 Ray Thompson
15 Joel Riethmuller
16 Ricky Thorby
17 Jason Taumalolo
18 Ethan Lowe
19 Blake Leary

Coach: Neil Henry

Titanic
28-05-13, 12:51 PM
I'm in a state of shock ... no Takairangi into the forwards and Michaels into the side? Pity Ridge isn't ready but good team, we must have new selectors.

thelwall
28-05-13, 12:51 PM
we look the better side

DIEHARD
28-05-13, 12:57 PM
Wow is Bowen out? Also we have a very good team. Spoilt with quality replacements.

Hail Sezer
28-05-13, 01:05 PM
Will Dowling come on and play 2nd row or will he go into the centres with Taka going in to the 2nd row?

TITAN PETE
28-05-13, 01:19 PM
Will Dowling come on and play 2nd row or will he go into the centres with Taka going in to the 2nd row?

Can cover Fullback,5/8 & lock easily enough so don't be surprised where he pops up, also has a very good kicking game too

Mr Stupid
28-05-13, 01:30 PM
Only issue I see is leadership. I assume WZ is Captain.

DIEHARD
28-05-13, 02:27 PM
Knee injury sidelines Cowboys star Matt Bowen for up to six weeks

NORTH Queensland's stuttering season has been further hit by the news star fullback Matt Bowen will miss up to six weeks through a knee injury.

Bowen will have surgery tomorrow after tearing cartilage in his left knee, and faces four to six weeks on the sidelines.

The injury news comes at a time when Bowen, out of contract at the end of the season, is trying to negotiate an extension to play on in North Queensland next year.

Bowen's Cowboys teammate Gavin Cooper has also been sidelined by a knee injury. He will miss three weeks with a medial ligament tear.

The pair's absence further weakens a struggling Cowboys side already missing Queensland State of Origin stars Johnathan Thurston and Matt Scott and Blues prop James Tamou for Sunday's clash with the Titans on the Gold Coast.

Former Dragon Clint Greenshields replaces Bowen at fullback, while Michael Morgan returns to the halves.

Forward Glenn Hall and winger Kalifa Faifai Loa also return to the Cowboys starting line-up, while Jason Taumalolo, Ricky Thorby, Joel Riethmuller, Blake Leary and rookie Ethan Lowe come on to an extended bench.

The Titans welcome back former Queensland Origin forward Dave Taylor, along with Mark Minichiello and Luke O'Dwyer. Gold Coast will be missing Maroons duo Nate Myles and Ashley Harrison and Blues forward Greg Bird.

Titans v Cowboys, 3pm Sunday @ Skilled Park

TITANS: 1 William Zillman, 2 Kevin Gordon, 3 Brad Takairangi, 4 Jamal Idris, 5 Anthony Don, 6 Aidan Sezer, 7 Albert Kelly, 8 Luke Bailey, 9 Matt Srama, 10 Luke Douglas, 11 David Taylor, 12 Mark Minichiello, 13 Luke O'Dwyer. Interchange: 14 Ryan James, 15 Mark Ioane, 16 Jamie Dowling, 17 Sam Irwin.

COWBOYS: 1 Clint Greenshields, 2 Ashley Graham, 3 Antonio Winterstein, 4 Kane Linnett, 5 Kalifa Faifai Loa, 6 Michael Morgan, 7 Robert Lui, 8 Ashton Sims, 9 Rory Kostjasyn, 10 Scott Bolton, 11 Tariq Sims, 12 Glenn Hall, 13 Dallas Johnson. Interchange: 14 Ray Thompson, 15 Joel Riethmuller, 16 Ricky Thorby, 17 Jason Taumalolo, 18 Ethan Lowe, 19 Blake Leary (two to be omitted)

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/knee-injury-sidelines-cowboys-star-matt-bowen-for-up-to-six-weeks/story-e6frep7f-1226652189462

DIEHARD
28-05-13, 02:28 PM
Big trouble for the Cowboys losing Bowen and with Origin approaching.

DIEHARD
28-05-13, 02:29 PM
Only issue I see is leadership. I assume WZ is Captain.

Luke Bailey should be captain.

TITAN PETE
28-05-13, 03:31 PM

He will be just wont have the "C" next to his name :D

teke
28-05-13, 03:37 PM
Can cover Fullback,5/8 & lock easily enough so don't be surprised where he pops up, also has a very good kicking game tooIf he pops up at FB I will be more than shocked, you can bet on that :D

Toads
28-05-13, 04:12 PM

I thought Bails has been captain for the last few rounds..

He's been pretty quick at getting to his feet 'n quizzing the Refs with their dodgy decisions lately. I think seen Myles having to get him outta the Refs faces on a few ocassions this year.. :laugh:

Mr Stupid
28-05-13, 07:12 PM
I want to see Ryan James step up this week. I think he has been a bit under whelming recently. He started the season in a blaze of glory with the Indigenous game but I haven't seen much since. Plenty of penalties and Prima Donna melodramatics but not much real impact. He should be doing what you want a good prop to do, break the line and up to play the ball quick. That's the way to draw genuine penalties not by flinging his curly locks around like some ham actor.

Supergoose
28-05-13, 09:57 PM
Did you see James turn the game against Parra when he came on? He snapped all those who ran at him in half! He mightn't be getting the roll on that you're looking for, but I reckon he was pretty good against the Eels and expect him to be up for this game. The Cowboys have an excellent prop rotation which will be down on troops but Sims and Bolton are both very accomplished and going well.

Supergoose
28-05-13, 09:58 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Dave Taylor and Takairangi terrorizing the Cowboys right side of Winterstein and Hall/Taumalolo. Should be some carnage.

Mr Stupid
29-05-13, 06:29 AM
I love that 1. we have the depth to keep positional changes to a minimum and 2. That Carty hasn't been tempted to make those changes anyway.

karnage
29-05-13, 10:49 AM
What's the story on Ridge??

DIEHARD
29-05-13, 01:45 PM
Titans want Coal Train steamed up

DAVE Taylor will be given until match eve to prove his fitness for the Gold Coast Titans' crucial clash against the Cowboys on Sunday with the club sweating on the giant forward's availability to bolster a pack decimated by Origin and injury.

The Titans will be without Maroons representatives Nate Myles and Ashley Harrison, while lock Greg Bird will turn out for the Blues.

Taylor has been named to start in the second-row but coach John Cartwright conceded he would be ''pushing it'' to overcome a calf strain in time for Sunday's match.

''We'll give him until Saturday,'' Cartwright said.

''If he can't train Thursday we'll have some cover there but we'll give him until the final training session to prove his fitness.''

Taylor missed the Titans' win against the Eels in Mudgee on Sunday with a calf strain, with Cartwright denying he had been cautious in a bid to ensure the edge forward was available for the Cowboys clash.

''He couldn't play. Anyone with a strain will know you're only going to make it worse (by forcing it) ... but hopefully it's only a one-week injury.

''We will be pushing it this week but the medical staff are pretty confident.''

Luke O'Dwyer has been named at lock but still requires a clearance from his surgeon after being sidelined for four weeks with a broken jaw.

The absence of Taylor or O'Dwyer would push the Titans to crisis point, with the club experiencing several injuries to its fringe forwards.

Ben Ridge is still two weeks away from returning from a pectoral injury, while Tweed Heads back-rower Cody Nelson, who had a strong off-season with the Titans, is out for the season after rupturing his anterior cruciate ligament in March.

''We've got a lot of injuries in our back-row and the guys that are away with Origin are all back-rowers as well,'' Cartwright said.

''That's where we've been tested the most.''

Jamie Dowling comes on to the bench and his versatility will be key, with Cartwright likely to be forced to shuffle his troops considerably throughout the match.

''Jamie can cover anywhere from fullback to back-row and hooker, so he's a very handy guy to have on the bench,'' Cartwright said.

''He hasn't played a lot of first grade but he's a very experienced player and he's a local boy.

''He's come through our under-18s and under-20s program and I see him playing a lot of first grade down the track.

''For a guy who can play so many positions and play them the way he does we're lucky to have him.''

Burleigh lock Shane Gray and three-quarter Steve Michaels are in the frame to come into the team if either Taylor or O'Dwyer is unavailable, with Cartwright having the option of playing Brad Takairangi or Jamal Idris in the pack.

DIEHARD
29-05-13, 02:02 PM
I am so excited about the improvement in young Jamal Idris from the Gold Coast Titans this season. I have been mightily impressed. It's hard to believe Jamal is still only 22, but he will play his 100th first-grade game on Sunday. This giant athlete made his debut for the Bulldogs in 2008, when he was just 18. A lot has happened with Jamal since then, including a State of Origin match for NSW in 2010 and a Test match for Australia in 2011. After leaving the Bulldogs for the Titans at the end of 2011 his career seemed to stall on the back of injuries and fitness issues. However, an injury-free Idris, fit and fresh from a full off-season training program, is playing the type of football that had the league world abuzz back in his Bulldogs days. He is one of the most effective right centres in the game and a return to the highest levels of representative football is only a matter of time.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rugby-league/

DIEHARD
29-05-13, 03:12 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/430091_10151623476349593_791331675_n.jpg

Make sure you?re at Skilled Park this Sunday to enjoy a Family Fun Day and see the iSelect Titans take on the Cowboys. There will be loads of fantastic entertainment for the littlies and even the chance to meet Despicable Me 2 characters! Visit www.titans.com.au/family for more info.

We also have an awesome Despicable Me 2 prize pack to give away, enter here: http://bit.ly/19kZJwd

DIEHARD
30-05-13, 03:42 PM
Young halves pairing ready to step up

Cowboys coach Neil Henry believes North Queensland?s good playmaker depth will help them cover for the loss of their influential co-captain Johnathan Thurston to State of Origin duties this weekend.

With Thurston away at the Maroons? camp, Emerging Origin squad member Michael Morgan returns to wear the No.6 jersey and will partner Robert Lui in the halves for the first time against the Gold Coast Titans at Skilled Park on Sunday.

Ray Thompson remains on the interchange bench as back up for starting hooker Rory Kostjasyn or to come into the halves if required.

?I think they?ve got some good footy between them,? Henry said of his new starting six and seven.

?It?s a young pairing and I?m confident they?ll step up and play their role.?

Clint Greenshields has been given the No.1 jersey for at least the next month with Matthew Bowen sidelined by a knee injury that will require surgery tomorrow.

It will only be Greenshields?s second NRL appearance of the year, following on from an impressive debut for the Cowboys against Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium in round six.

?Clint is a more than capable replacement for Matty,? Henry said.

?He had a good game against the Broncos and he?s been playing consistent Queensland Cup footy.

?He?s an experienced player and we expect him to slot straight in.?

Henry said now was the time for the fringe squad members who had been ?working away in the background? to do the job at NRL level.

?We?re confident we?ve got the depth in the squad and it?s getting to the stage where we need to get a couple of wins out of our away games leading up to the first bye,? he said.

Source: http://www.titans.com.au

DIEHARD
30-05-13, 04:18 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/q71/s480x480/937_10151625299009593_1850547772_n.jpg

iSelect Titans centre Jamal Idris says the road to his 100th game has been a whirlwind as he prepares to reach the milestone in Sunday's game with the Cowboys.

Titans TV caught up with Idris to discuss the milestone, watch the video here: http://bit.ly/18x8Xqj

DIEHARD
30-05-13, 05:07 PM
http://staticnrl.sportalhosting.com/site/_content/LeadImage/00078549-image.jpg

The $50 Family Fun Pass to this Sunday’s Queensland derby against the Cowboys at Skilled Park has been extended to before gates open on Sunday for all online pre-purchases!

This special offer for families includes Steel category tickets for 2 adults and 2 children for just $50 – that’s a saving of $34!

It’s going to be a great day out for the whole family with loads of fantastic entertainment for the littlies with a petting zoo, rock climbing wall, Titans inflatable, jumping castle, face painters, great giveaways, mascots and even the chance to meet the Despicable Me 2 characters!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE YOUR FAMILY FUN PASS NOW! (http://www.titans.com.au/family)

Remember – it’s cheaper to buy your tickets in advance than at the gate. For all other Titans v Cowboys game day ticket options please click here. (http://www.titans.com.au/tickets)

* Steel category tickets. Offer available for online pre-purchases only. Offer not available at Skilled Park gate on game day.

TITAN PETE
31-05-13, 06:15 AM
Bailey big fan of Ioane
Travis Meyn | 01:01am May 31, 2013

TITANS pack leader Luke Bailey has given emerging prop Mark Ioane a glowing endorsement as the duo prepare to ink contract extensions with the Gold Coast.

Veteran front-rower Bailey will put pen to paper with the Titans today to extend his career by at least another year and Ioane, 22, is expected to do the same next week.

The one-year boost for Ioane comes as Bailey compared the former Junior Kiwi to Queensland and Test wrecking ball Sam Thaiday.

''I'm a big fan of Mark's. I've watched him play for a while now and he's just bided his time,'' Bailey said.

''He's solid but he's got footwork like Thaiday. He's got that good in-and-away line that a lot of forwards don't have.

''He doesn't look out of place. He looks like he's been doing it for a while.''

Ioane linked with the Titans this year after a two-year stint in Canberra where he failed to crack first grade.

The stocky prop made his NRL debut in Auckland this month and played his second game against Parramatta last Sunday.

He will feature for the Titans throughout the State of Origin period while Nate Myles, Ash Harrison and Greg Bird are away and Bailey said the Warriors product deserved his spot.

''The best thing about him is he's a humble dude and doesn't get overawed. He just does his job,'' he said.

''I love it when humble kids come through these days because there's not too many of them.

''They're all pretty much that Gen X-Y way where they think they deserve to be there but he's quite humble and worked his butt off.''

Bailey, who will become the second-most capped Titan with his 124th match for the club on Sunday, has started 2013 in fantastic form despite suffering a career-threatening achilles injury late last year.

The 242-game stalwart said he would meet executive director Michael Searle today to finalise his 2014 contract and it is understood the club has not ruled out the 33-year-old playing into 2015 if his body permits.

''I'm meeting with Searley (today) and I think it's done then,'' Bailey said.

''As far as I'm concerned it's done but I might have a crap game this weekend and who knows.

''I'm over the moon with how it's (achilles) responded. At my age it could have hung around a bit but I've had a tendency to get over injuries quite quickly.''

Dave Taylor missed yesterday's field session with a calf strain and will have to pass a fitness test tomorrow to face the Cowboys at Skilled Park on Sunday.

Burleigh Bears second-rower Shane Gray trained in Taylor's place and is on standby to make his NRL debut.

TITAN PETE
31-05-13, 06:17 AM
Very happy to hear both Bails & Ioane are re-signing with the club & I agree with the Bull that Mark is going to be a great player & I think will own a spot in the 17 by seasons end.

Toads
31-05-13, 09:04 AM
Very happy to hear both Bails & Ioane are re-signing with the club & I agree with the Bull that Mark is going to be a great player & I think will own a spot in the 17 by seasons end.

Yup, tend to agree, Pete. Just wish Mark's contract was at least 2 years though. We need to make him call the Coast home. It'd be a shame to lose him when he's coming into his prime..

DIEHARD
31-05-13, 11:26 AM
The master and apprentice.

DIEHARD
31-05-13, 02:51 PM
Zillman ready to lead against Cowboys

iSelect Titans Fullback Will Zillman says he won?t be looking to change too much, despite stepping into the captaincy duties in the absence of Greg Bird and Nate Myles through Origin duty.

Fresh from a convincing 42-4 win over the Eels last weekend, Zillman says there still remains work to do and the side cannot get caught up in the heroics of last week, as they look for consistency and a repeat effort against the Cowboys.

The Cowboys will be missing the likes of Thurston, Tamou and Scott, but Zillman says they remain a dangerous entity that cannot be underestimated.

Titans TV caught up with Zillman to discuss his role as captain and to view the video simply click here (http://www.titans.com.au/news-display/titans/76067)

http://www.titans.com.au/news-display/titans/76067

DIEHARD
31-05-13, 03:12 PM
Match facts: Cowboys v Titans
Cowboys

? The Cowboys come into their round 12 encounter in 12th position on the NRL ladder with four wins so far this year, while the Titans are sixth with six victories on their record.

? The Titans won both meetings between the two Queensland clubs last year to take the lead in the head-to-head record, six wins to five.

? North Queensland are without four State of Origin representatives ? Johnathan Thurston, James Tamou, Matthew Scott and Brent Tate - this weekend, while the Titans are minus three ? Greg Bird, Nate Myles and Ashley Harrison.

? This is the Cowboys? eighth away match in the opening 12 rounds of the season. They have a 2-5 win-loss record in their travels so far in 2013. Gold Coast have won four of their six home matches and have only had five away games in the first 12 weeks.

? Despite being six places below the Titans on the ladder, the Cowboys have conceded almost the same amount of points ? 194 compared to the Coast?s 195. However the Titans scored 223 points to NQ?s 180.

? The Cowboys have battled in second halves this season, scoring only 11 tries after half time, the lowest figure in the NRL.

? The Titans average more points against the Cowboys at home than any other opponent (27.8 points per game).

? This is North Queensland?s first Sunday afternoon game since round 26 last year when they downed Cronulla 36-22 at Shark Park.

? Antonio Winterstein is now North Queensland?s leading try-scorer this season with seven, one more than Ash Graham.

? The Titans? goalkicker, Aiden Sezer, has only missed three of his 34 attempts at goal this season. His 91% success rate is the best among all regular kickers in the competition.

? Titans duo Jamal Idris and Dave Taylor sit inside the top seven for most offloads so far this year.

http://www.cowboys.com.au/news-display/Match-facts-Cowboys-v-Titans/75987

Tamwelg
31-05-13, 03:47 PM
Bailey big fan of Ioane
Travis Meyn | 01:01am May 31, 2013

TITANS pack leader Luke Bailey has given emerging prop Mark Ioane a glowing endorsement as the duo prepare to ink contract extensions with the Gold Coast.

Veteran front-rower Bailey will put pen to paper with the Titans today to extend his career by at least another year and Ioane, 22, is expected to do the same next week.

The one-year boost for Ioane comes as Bailey compared the former Junior Kiwi to Queensland and Test wrecking ball Sam Thaiday.

''I'm a big fan of Mark's. I've watched him play for a while now and he's just bided his time,'' Bailey said.

''He's solid but he's got footwork like Thaiday. He's got that good in-and-away line that a lot of forwards don't have.

''He doesn't look out of place. He looks like he's been doing it for a while.''

Ioane linked with the Titans this year after a two-year stint in Canberra where he failed to crack first grade.

The stocky prop made his NRL debut in Auckland this month and played his second game against Parramatta last Sunday.

He will feature for the Titans throughout the State of Origin period while Nate Myles, Ash Harrison and Greg Bird are away and Bailey said the Warriors product deserved his spot.

''The best thing about him is he's a humble dude and doesn't get overawed. He just does his job,'' he said.

''I love it when humble kids come through these days because there's not too many of them.

''They're all pretty much that Gen X-Y way where they think they deserve to be there but he's quite humble and worked his butt off.''

Bailey, who will become the second-most capped Titan with his 124th match for the club on Sunday, has started 2013 in fantastic form despite suffering a career-threatening achilles injury late last year.

The 242-game stalwart said he would meet executive director Michael Searle today to finalise his 2014 contract and it is understood the club has not ruled out the 33-year-old playing into 2015 if his body permits.

''I'm meeting with Searley (today) and I think it's done then,'' Bailey said.

''As far as I'm concerned it's done but I might have a crap game this weekend and who knows.

''I'm over the moon with how it's (achilles) responded. At my age it could have hung around a bit but I've had a tendency to get over injuries quite quickly.''

Dave Taylor missed yesterday's field session with a calf strain and will have to pass a fitness test tomorrow to face the Cowboys at Skilled Park on Sunday.

Burleigh Bears second-rower Shane Gray trained in Taylor's place and is on standby to make his NRL debut.

Why is Michael Searle handling contract negotiations? Isn't this the job of the CEO, like the way every other NRL club does it. I smell a rat. This wreaks of Searle still having his finger too much in the pie. This article makes we wonder, have things really changed....

DIEHARD
31-05-13, 04:02 PM
Why is Michael Searle handling contract negotiations? Isn't this the job of the CEO, like the way every other NRL club does it. I smell a rat. This wreaks of Searle still having his finger too much in the pie. This article makes we wonder, have things really changed....

WTF yea that does stick out. When are we getting a board?! This can't be delayed.

Noddy1979
31-05-13, 04:45 PM
No not at all Searle is in the Same situation as Parr in North qld. They run the football department which would be recruitment. This paranoia over Searle is over the top.

Mexican titan
31-05-13, 04:59 PM
No not at all Searle is in the Same situation as Parr in North qld. They run the football department which would be recruitment. This paranoia over Searle is over the top.

Ah no it's not. There are many people on the Coast that will still have nothing to do with the Titans while Searle is there. Ask many tradies that still are awaiting payment for the CofE building. Most of these people are League people and they have mates.

Mexican titan
31-05-13, 05:06 PM
http://staticnrl.sportalhosting.com/site/_content/LeadImage/00078549-image.jpg

The $50 Family Fun Pass to this Sunday?s Queensland derby against the Cowboys at Skilled Park has been extended to before gates open on Sunday for all online pre-purchases!

This special offer for families includes Steel category tickets for 2 adults and 2 children for just $50 ? that?s a saving of $34!

It?s going to be a great day out for the whole family with loads of fantastic entertainment for the littlies with a petting zoo, rock climbing wall, Titans inflatable, jumping castle, face painters, great giveaways, mascots and even the chance to meet the Despicable Me 2 characters!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE YOUR FAMILY FUN PASS NOW! (http://www.titans.com.au/family)

Remember ? it?s cheaper to buy your tickets in advance than at the gate. For all other Titans v Cowboys game day ticket options please click here. (http://www.titans.com.au/tickets)

* Steel category tickets. Offer available for online pre-purchases only. Offer not available at Skilled Park gate on game day.

I have heard a few adverts on radio in the last few days for this game as well as seen todays advert in the Bulletin and neither mention the $50 family ticket.
Is this a ticket that is there but we don't really want people to buy it. I think charging $57 for Titanium ticket to this game with all the players missing is obscene. Even though I pay $1100 for my family Titanium membership and happy to do so, I think single tickets to our games are way over the top. Yes I know we have been down this track before.

C-Whiz
31-05-13, 05:27 PM
Short odds on the Titans for this game. Not sure how this compares to when we played the Raiders here, but seems pretty slim considering players out on each side.

lonegull
31-05-13, 06:49 PM

I want to echo your thoughts, the CEO should be announcing and handling these, and agree Tamwelg I wonder how much input is Searle having on decisions made at the titans.

lonegull
31-05-13, 06:52 PM
WTF yea that does stick out. When are we getting a board?! This can't be delayed.

Wonder why the delay, maybe someone still wanting control of the club

hatchy84
31-05-13, 07:37 PM
So Shane gray is he good don't know much about him

Tamwelg
31-05-13, 08:01 PM
@travismeyn: Luke O'Dwyer (jaw) OUT for the Titans. Ben Ridge set to make an early return from a pec tear. Dave Taylor IN. Shane Gray 18th man. #nrl

DIEHARD
31-05-13, 08:22 PM
I hope Ridgey is ready. Thanks for posting Tam! This was news to me.

Bayside Titan
31-05-13, 08:35 PM
I have to agree strongly with Tamwelg. I have seen too many articles lately with Searles name in them. Ie the article above and the article where Searle and Carty weren't happy with David May. If Searle has some resurrection of the Phoenix thoughts or plans we should start planning the wake for the Titans. Why is Searle back in the media? Has David May been muzzled by Carty/Searle? Why hasn't the Board been installed as promised?

Supergoose
31-05-13, 09:21 PM
I think Shane Gray is the behemoth that was in the train on squad photos dwarfing all our other players. Can someone confirm? I haven't seen him play but would love someone to give a run down.

Titanic
31-05-13, 10:29 PM
There should be no paranoia over Searle ... it is well documented that he is the majority share holder and football manager ... anyone who thinks he has somehow been made redundant or is on a tight leash is deluded ... these are the facts of our club ... should he have control of the club is a totally different question. The $6,000,000 questions are what is his relationship with our CEO and do we have a functioning board as has been bandied around for nearly a year now?

TITAN PETE
31-05-13, 11:09 PM
We don't have a CEO that can make decisions without the Surfing Manager getting involved , Michael Searle please keep your nose out of the running of the Rugby League club & let the CEO do what he's employed to do...

David May is well liked by most members, you are not .

karnage
31-05-13, 11:49 PM

Wrong.

And while we are comparing ourselves with NQ, how are they going this year?? How many premierships have they won??

Noddy1979
01-06-13, 07:51 AM
Wrong.

And while we are comparing ourselves with NQ, how are they going this year?? How many premierships have they won??

There going woeful, so they better knife Parr as it must be his fault how silly of him recruiting, Tamou,Scott,Tate, Resigning Thurston and Cooper. And whats wrong with the man in charge of the football department being the recruiter? Sure the Cheif executive can always veto but most likely they both sit down and understand what they want.

Hail Sezer
01-06-13, 09:37 AM
DT out..Shane Gray to debut

Titanic
01-06-13, 09:44 AM
We should gobble these blokes up and having a couple of new faces in the team instead of the same old lot makes for an interesting spectacle.

Hail Sezer
01-06-13, 09:50 AM
We should gobble these blokes up and having a couple of new faces in the team instead of the same old lot makes for an interesting spectacle.

That it does! Love seeing players debut. Shane Gray is a monster too

Rage
01-06-13, 09:52 AM

What are people's thoughts on Gray?

Tamwelg
01-06-13, 10:05 AM
There going woeful, so they better knife Parr as it must be his fault how silly of him recruiting, Tamou,Scott,Tate, Resigning Thurston and Cooper. And whats wrong with the man in charge of the football department being the recruiter? Sure the Cheif executive can always veto but most likely they both sit down and understand what they want.

And there in lies there problem, the vetoing seems to be happening the other way around.

Noddy1979
01-06-13, 10:52 AM
So who in the squad the cowboys have would justify such a veto? Just because a team is going poor doesn't mean the squad is poor with all the players the cowboys have the blowtorch should be on the coaches and that also goes for our coach with his roster

Titanic
01-06-13, 12:11 PM
Surely the football manager is responsible to the CEO for player recruitment and retention but I emphasise that he must be accountable to the CEO and in turn to the board ... can we say that is our structure? I don't think so. Our football manager is the major shareholder of the organisation, so what does that suggest? Dinosaur in the room would be my guess.

karnage
01-06-13, 08:27 PM

The problem Noddy, is that the man we are talking about is Michael Searle.
- A man that drove the club to the brink of absolute financial ruin,
- a man that has turned the majority of tradespeople and their families against the team,
- a man that is best mates with John Cartwright who gave him a multi year contract extension in a wooden spoon winning year,
- a man that put his father in charge of player recruitment when there are dozens of local people better credentialed to position the club for the future,
- a man that made the junior pathway to the club a closed shop through the PBC Highschool program and thus presides over a U20's team that is an absolute laughing stock in a rich junior football location,
- a man that sees the club as 'his' to do with as he pleases for the sake of his own monumental ego.

Smakked
01-06-13, 08:37 PM
- a man that has turned the majority of tradespeople and their families against the team,
- a man that is best mates with John Cartwright who gave him a multi year contract extension in a wooden spoon winning year,
- a man that put his father in charge of player recruitment when there are dozens of local people better credentialed to position the club for the future,
- a man that made the junior pathway to the club a closed shop through the PBC Highschool program and thus presides over a U20's team that is an absolute laughing stock in a rich junior football location,
- a man that sees the club as 'his' to do with as he pleases for the sake of his own monumental ego.

All valid but the last is the most truest and damning

Noddy1979
02-06-13, 06:21 AM

I agree with everything there and his ego has caused major damage, so it's not the fact the footy manager is in charge of the recruitment but the person in the role which I must say wouldn't be first pick either

TITAN PETE
02-06-13, 07:08 AM
Fit Morgan ready to fire against Titans
By Ben Blaschke,
NRL.com
Sat 01st June, 5:54pm

After a disrupted start to 2013 through injury Michael Morgan is hoping his year will kick on to bigger things, starting against the Titans on Sunday when he wears the No.6 jersey in Johnathan Thurston’s absence.
Still reeling from a horror start to the year that has seen him battle both jaw and shoulder injuries as well as the death of good friend Alex Elisala, North Queensland five-eighth Michael Morgan says he has a point to prove when he lines up for just the sixth time this season against the Gold Coast on Sunday.

Recalled to the squad to cover for Queensland representative and Cowboys captain Johnathan Thurston after missing the past three weeks with injury, Morgan is keen to get his year back on track and told NRL.com there was no better time to stake his claim than this weekend in the absence of the Cowboys’ Origin stars.

“It’s always good to be back playing first grade. It hasn’t been the best year for me on and off the field and I’m really looking to get that confidence back again,” the 21-year-old explained.

“Coming off last season, I think I had a good end to the year. I’d like to pick up that form again. I think before I did my shoulder I was happy with how I was going. I was happy with how I went against the Raiders and the Broncos. If I can put together a couple of games again now I’m sure I’ll feel good again.”

Morgan looked set to secure the Cowboys’ No.7 jersey last year after finishing strongly but very little has gone right since the clock ticked over into 2013 – starting with a badly broken jaw that saw him sidelined for six weeks at the start of the season.

“I’ve been patchy since,” Morgan said. “I felt good coming out of pre-season. I had a good first trial and was going alright in the second until I broke the jaw which slowed everything down a bit. From there I really struggled getting back into it – I don’t know why. It might have been a confidence thing.

“Then I came back and started to feel better about myself but then missed two games with a shoulder injury, so I’ve been a bit in and out all year.”

More difficult was the death of Cowboys teammate Alex Elisala last month. The tragedy rocked the club as a whole but Morgan in particular given that they met at high school in Townsville, moved through the grades together and were best mates.

“I’m still trying to get over that,” Morgan said. “It’s a month today and that brings up more memories again. I’m doing my best to get through it the best I can, but it’s hard.

“The Parramatta game (in Round 8) the day after his funeral was very tough and that will be the hardest game I every play I think, mentally. It is tough coming to training and not seeing him around the place but I just keep doing my best.”

Certainly North Queensland needs Morgan at his very best over the coming months as they look to navigate the tricky Origin period minus Thurston, James Tamou, Matt Scott and Brent Tate. Also, Matt Bowen and Gavin Cooper have been ruled out with injury.

“It’s an important period for us,” Morgan said. “We always have a few boys out with Origin plus we’ve got a couple of injuries now too which won’t help but I’m sure everyone that has earned a spot this week will go out and do their best.

“It’s never easy with players out but our goal is still to win, not just to compete. If we could get a few wins going into the bye (in Round 15) that would help us a lot.”

Asked about his combination with halfback Robert Lui, Morgan said: “I think it will be alright. We only had a couple of trials together but when we did play together it was good. We both talked to each other and knew what was going on so we were organised. Hopefully we can bring that to the field this weekend.”

With the Cowboys languishing in 12th spot on the NRL ladder with just four wins from 11 games, Morgan said he hoped to take on a greater leadership role this week, having taken a back seat in previous seasons.

“Because I was still coming into first grade, in previous years the other half would tend to take the leadership role,” he said. “I was normally filling in for JT but at the start of the year in the trials, when JT wasn’t playing, I tried to take on that role a bit more.

“Robbie is there this week too and he has a lot of experience so I’m sure he will try and lead us around and I’ll play off the back of our forwards and off the back of Robbie.

“The big thing for us is playing to our potential because I don’t think we’ve done that this year. All year it’s been the last pass that hasn’t stuck and we’ve been waiting for things to click. We hope it does soon because we know we’ve got a talented squad and we should be doing a lot better than we are.”

DIEHARD
02-06-13, 07:57 AM
Should be a great day for Titans fans. Heading down to the GC on a 2.5 hour train ride. Bringing some friends for today's match.

Coaster
02-06-13, 10:36 AM
Should be a great day for Titans fans. Heading down to the GC on a 2.5 hour train ride. Bringing some friends for today's match.

Ill be on train leaving Helensvale 12.29
Bringing 2 new members with me.

My mate and his 6 year old daughter, mate is a mad Broncos fan, but came on bus with me to Brisbane for game 2 weeks ago. I told him, i would organise tickets as long as he wore Titans gear and not Broncos. he did.

The funny thing was that for the first time he got to see how Broncos fans acted towards opposition fans, as he was dressed like a Titan. It left a sour taste in his mouth.

After years of arguing about the Titans, he is coming today, with the hope of becoming a member, and his Daughter who is only 6 is super excited.

TITAN PETE
02-06-13, 10:41 AM
Ill be on train leaving Helensvale 12.29
Bringing 2 new members with me.

My mate and his 6 year old daughter, mate is a mad Broncos fan, but came on bus with me to Brisbane for game 2 weeks ago. I told him, i would organise tickets as long as he wore Titans gear and not Broncos. he did.

The funny thing was that for the first time he got to see how Broncos fans acted towards opposition fans, as he was dressed like a Titan. It left a sour taste in his mouth.

After years of arguing about the Titans, he is coming today, with the hope of becoming a member, and his Daughter who is only 6 is super excited.

Stop Bullsh#tting Shano..... you having a mate :laugh: :rolf:

Coaster
02-06-13, 11:13 AM
Stop Bullsh#tting Shano..... you having a mate :laugh: :rolf:

Got me. Haha

Hail Sezer
02-06-13, 11:46 AM
NYC game underway

Hail Sezer
02-06-13, 11:57 AM
Zach Friend scores, titans NYC lead 6-0

Hail Sezer
02-06-13, 12:05 PM
Penalty try to Cowboys.

6-4 Titans lead 18 mins

Hail Sezer
02-06-13, 12:07 PM
In other news..just heard on sunday footy show that DT may still be a chance to play

Hail Sezer
02-06-13, 12:13 PM
Teo scores for us. 12-4 after 26 minutes

Shaun Hudson is goal kicking, mdrew has spoken of him quite a bit

Hail Sezer
02-06-13, 12:16 PM
Cowboys score, 12-10 to Titans after 29 minutes

Hail Sezer
02-06-13, 12:24 PM
Cowboys over again, Cowboys lead 16-12

Hail Sezer
02-06-13, 12:30 PM
NQ over again, cowboys NYC leading 20-12

Squinter98
02-06-13, 01:00 PM
Gold Coast Titans ‏@GCTitans
David Taylor has been named to play this afternoon after being declared fit #GCTitansFamily #NRLgldcow

https://twitter.com/GCTitans

Hail Sezer
02-06-13, 01:20 PM
NYC team has come back from 14 points down to lead 34-32 inside the final four minutes.

thelwall
02-06-13, 01:22 PM
Titans
1 William Zillman
2 Kevin Gordon
3 Brad Takairangi
4 Jamal Idris
5 Anthony Don
6 Aidan Sezer
7 Albert Kelly
8 Luke Bailey
9 Matt Srama
10 Luke Douglas
11 David Taylor
12 Mark Minichiello
14 Ryan James

Interchange
15 Mark Ioane
16 Jamie Dowling
17 Sam Irwin
18 Shane Gray

Coach: John Cartwright

Cowboys
1 Clint Greenshields
2 Ashley Graham
3 Antonio Winterstein
4 Kane Linnett
5 Kalifa Faifai Loa
6 Michael Morgan
7 Robert Lui
8 Ashton Sims
9 Rory Kostjasyn
10 Scott Bolton
11 Tariq Sims
12 Glenn Hall
13 Dallas Johnson

Interchange
14 Ray Thompson
16 Ricky Thorby
17 Jason Taumalolo
18 Ethan Lowe

Coach: Neil Henry

Boofhead
02-06-13, 02:06 PM
Good morning from sunny Spain! Reading live updates so keep them coming. Get in there lads!

Hail Sezer
02-06-13, 02:07 PM
Good start. Nice work zillman.

gotitans101_
02-06-13, 02:11 PM
Big mistake letting Taylor play. He looks injured already after 4 minutes of play.

edit: after that play I may have to take that back lol. But he does look like he's playing injured.

thelwall
02-06-13, 02:11 PM
delayed telecast fml

thelwall
02-06-13, 02:14 PM
god im loving this yeah buddy

Hail Sezer
02-06-13, 02:14 PM
Taylor going well despite the injury.

Great ball from Alby!!

Titanic
02-06-13, 02:15 PM
Onya Boof ... ran away from my birthday lunch ... still tying to work out who's playing.

thelwall
02-06-13, 02:19 PM
keep bombing him

Titanic
02-06-13, 02:23 PM
Is there an issue with spoilers or is it open for comment?

Hail Sezer
02-06-13, 02:28 PM
clever play Srama

Boofhead
02-06-13, 02:29 PM
Fair game IMO, if you don't want to see the scores don't read this thread.

Titanic
02-06-13, 02:29 PM
we look a lot better without the ponderous one-out stuff of our rep players ... sorry to say ... not.

Titanic
02-06-13, 02:30 PM
Ok Boof ... 12-0 after 22

Titanic
02-06-13, 02:32 PM
James 3rd penalty

Titanic
02-06-13, 02:33 PM
kelly great shoulder charge ... penalty but try saver

Titanic
02-06-13, 02:34 PM
great defensive 6

Hail Sezer
02-06-13, 02:34 PM
kelly great shoulder charge ... penalty but try saver

Yeah rather be penalised than concede 4

Alby going great

Titanic
02-06-13, 02:35 PM
Taylor should hurt his leg more often ... he's on fire

Hail Sezer
02-06-13, 02:36 PM
DT just got rocked. Unreal

Great tackle Alby!

thelwall
02-06-13, 02:40 PM
need to cut the errors and penaltys out asap

Titanic
Gee that was a poor read but that pass was a meter forward

Hail Sezer
Blatant forward pass

Titanic
02-06-13, 02:42 PM
12-4 missed kick Lui ... we need to get back in the groove ... penalties are killing us

Titanic
02-06-13, 02:44 PM
Takairangi meets Johnsons head ... only one winner.

Hail Sezer
02-06-13, 02:44 PM
Jesus that was a big collision. Dowling in to centre then

nvm taka is on

thelwall
02-06-13, 02:45 PM
our discipline is terrible seriously ... simple passes and cut the penaltys out ffs

Titanic
02-06-13, 02:47 PM
sh1t kick Lui

Hail Sezer
02-06-13, 02:47 PM
Feed Idris some ball

Titanic
02-06-13, 02:48 PM
well worked and deserved try Kelly under the sticks .. if they pull this back then it's just wrong

Hail Sezer
02-06-13, 02:48 PM
Kelly! Such an asset

thelwall
02-06-13, 02:49 PM
kelly has the best support play

Hail Sezer
02-06-13, 02:49 PM
Great break from zillman capitalising on some horrid defense

Titanic
02-06-13, 02:50 PM
18-4 should be more perhaps but a good half generally ... injuries and James' ill-discipline the negatives.

Titanic
02-06-13, 02:51 PM
Lui is a deadset bonus ... for us

Titanic
02-06-13, 02:52 PM
and Sezer takes 1 for luck ... 19-4 ht

thelwall
02-06-13, 02:53 PM
james needs to rethink his game he just is so ill disciplined

Titanic
02-06-13, 03:03 PM
james needs to rethink his game he just is so ill disciplined
Couldn't agree more ... he's like so many young blokes who don't get what constitutes toughness in rugby league ... he should ask Bailey or Douglas.

Titanic
02-06-13, 03:10 PM
Gordon ... hands of glue

thelwall
02-06-13, 03:16 PM
any prop should just base there game off bailey

gotitans101_
02-06-13, 03:18 PM
How good is Taumalolo?

Titanic
02-06-13, 03:19 PM
Anybody think that Bird should play in the middle and Taylor on the left edge?

thelwall
02-06-13, 03:20 PM
zillman is finally turning into the fullback he always had the ability to be

titanfan1980
02-06-13, 03:26 PM
Just watching the delayed telecast now, how good is Albert lets sort out his contract ASAP, and the Ryan James penaltys, first one for offside was harsh 2nd one was fair, I don't think it's his ill discipline as much as it is he is being targeted, so he just needs to be a tad quicker.

gotitans101_
02-06-13, 03:26 PM
great try Ash.

thelwall
02-06-13, 03:30 PM
its more the fact that week after week he gives away so much

Hail Sezer
02-06-13, 03:30 PM
great try Ash.

wrong forum mate

gotitans101_
02-06-13, 03:34 PM
wrong forum mate

Credit where its due.

titanfan1980
02-06-13, 03:35 PM
its more the fact that week after week he gives away so much

100% agree but it's just wrong in a game if they are pre meditated to watch James they are gonna go after him, cause its already in their mind before the game, its like as our game plan might be to target lui, they should be going in mutual, the most annoying this is blokes who slow the play the ball like him get away with it eg. Cam smith, gallen, friendy was good at it.

gotitans101_
02-06-13, 03:36 PM
strong goal line def there.

thelwall
02-06-13, 03:36 PM
yeh its quite frustrating and this game is getting annoying cause we cant even get into a flow

Titanic
02-06-13, 03:37 PM
Lui louey oh oh the way to go

thelwall
02-06-13, 03:37 PM
lui for titans man of the match

Hail Sezer
02-06-13, 03:43 PM
Credit where its due.

I think Lui is more deserving :laugh:

Titanic
02-06-13, 03:44 PM
I think Lui is more deserving :laugh:
Yep order of Australia

gotitans101_
02-06-13, 03:44 PM
Our execution is a bit off today. Should have put more on the Cowboys by now with the amount of opportunities we've had.

Titanic
02-06-13, 03:48 PM
Oh ho ho and away Alby goes

gotitans101_
02-06-13, 03:48 PM
ALBYYYYYYY

Hail Sezer
02-06-13, 03:50 PM
Booooooooom!

gotitans101_
02-06-13, 03:55 PM
Very soft.

thelwall
02-06-13, 03:56 PM
grrrrrrrrr i hate late trys

Geeman
02-06-13, 04:17 PM
DT definitely deserved MotM, as for Kelly - Get the contract signed NOW!!!
The Total Package was also very good :D

Titanic
02-06-13, 04:20 PM
Yep but all considered after the multi-try hold-ups one we were going to crack eventually. Better it was at the end. Good game leading into a bye.

Several things though ... Taylor has to start and play the left edge ... the sooner Mead is back on that right wing the better ... Takairangi is our left centre solution and I trust he's back shortly ... Gray didn't have much of a chance but stuck with Kelly for 60 meters and didn't look out of place ... Ioane looks a little light-on but held his own ... ZIllman looked a lot better without the 5 hit-up structure as did everybody in the whole goddamn team ... when Falloon comes back we'll have some real selection headaches but good ones ... perhaps James would benefit from a stint back in QCup to realise that there is a level of professionalism required to play in the NRL.

Steve
02-06-13, 04:52 PM
Zillman was awful. Worst player on the field. Worst fullback in the comp! :thumbsup:

thelwall
02-06-13, 05:02 PM
would be the worst person to have in your dream team -....... 50 , 3 ,5 , 60 , 15, 40, 11 , 69 worst consistency

Boonarga
02-06-13, 05:07 PM
.... as for Kelly - Get the contract signed NOW!!!

What he said. Should be number one priority for the club. This kid could be even better than Preston.

DavidBouveng
02-06-13, 05:16 PM
Anybody think that Bird should play in the middle and Taylor on the left edge?

Teke and I discussed that exact option today at golf. Mini on the right would work for me, but i guess we are grooming Ridge for a back row spot.

thelwall
02-06-13, 05:26 PM
i still think bird is the best lock we have

DavidBouveng
02-06-13, 05:34 PM
Time for DB's post match summary.

All in all, no point bagging anyone too much today effort across the park.

what was significant is that without our best defenders - Bird, Harrison and Myles, the players all took responsibilty for defense and stayed hungry and focused for the entire match. We held them up and kept them out numerous times.

Taylor was immense. number 12 jersey in a XXL please.

Mini isnt perfect, but he puts in and makes some things happen, with offloads and breaks. deserves to be in our 17 all year imo.

Bailey was incredible today. i didnt realise he did 49 tackles till i got home, but it was the quality of his tackles. He had really great first impact on the ball carrier, often around their hip, stopping there momentum. its such a small difference, and not often picked up, but gee it made a impact.

Alby is a freak. The sooner we sort his contract the better cos at this rate its getting more and more expensive for us to wait. he is driving his price through the roof. i would go to the football on a freezing rainy day to watch this kid play footy.

Sezers general kicking was much improved, especially early he found alot of grass and some deep kicks. his Goal Kicking is amazing. 4 = 6 for us 95% of the time.

Idris was quieter than he has been lately, but not too much to worry about. he has alot of runs on the board and doesnt have to do it all him self each week.

Taka is going real well and has the creativity we have lacked in centres for a long time. not too quick though.

Gordon is playing really well of late, and looks to be getting into a good routine.

Zillman...William... TP... oh how ive wronged you. to be fair, hes played like a busted for 3 years for the most part, but today he showed some serious talent...and it came from him using his biggest strength - his running game. Using him on the short side sweeping around as a extra man is great he can use his good footwork and if they commit to him he can draw pass to idris...such a simple effective play that we can go to again and again. He was good elsewhere too and his timing of runs is now at a level that he can cause damage. exciting times.

He was a match winner today and ive always suspected he is a confidence player. If so, then he has a lot to be confident about and we might see a purple patch from TP over the back half of the season.

We now are in 5th spot with a healthy F/A and have a bye and 2 more points.We will be sat on 16 points at the halfway point of the season which is what we achieved for the entire of 2011. The broncos game might have been the catalyst we needed, and our approach to football has seemingly changed for the better. Bring second half of the season on, and enjoy the bye.

lonegull
02-06-13, 06:10 PM
Good win today, thought everyone put there hand up and tried hard, alby DT and zillman all good, mini has finally got superglue on his hands. Didn't seem to be any panic and the reserves came on and done there job.
Great win heading into a bye and cements the titans in the 8

TITAN PETE
02-06-13, 06:17 PM
Great game from almost the entire team , easily Zillmans career best match but I know Kelly was brilliant,DT unstoppable & Mini looked like he should be play SOO this week but I think Bailey was Sensational & was Definatly the Captain on the field, 49 Tackles & 14 Hit ups :surprise:

lonegull
02-06-13, 06:19 PM
Great game from almost the entire team , easily Zillmans career best match but I know Kelly was brilliant,DT unstoppable & Mini looked like he should be play SOO this week but I think Bailey was Sensational & was Definatly the Captain on the field, 49 Tackles & 14 Hit ups :surprise:

Yep Bull was definitely the captain, he led from the front, just like to mention on his defence today absolutely top notch

TITAN PETE
02-06-13, 06:27 PM
I think we were robbed of 3 certain tries & the Cows shouldn't have scored a point...

We had only 43% of the ball
The penalty count against us was 15-8

The thing that seems to stand out quite a bit with the team in the past 2 weeks is our attack has changed dramatically , perhaps the Mat Rogers coaching factor is the big difference or do we thank the Donkeys for giving us a flogging a few weeks back :rolleyes:

I'm going with Rogers :thumbsup:

Mr Stupid
02-06-13, 06:33 PM
Just got home with some happy little vegemites a in the back seat. Move over Justin Beiber my 9 year old daughter has dicovered Albert Kelly. So glad that DT kept fit. Mini's rising to the occasion. For me, Mini sort of represented everything that was bad about the team, now I'm delighted to say he's representing all the good. The Captain was great today as we're all our backs. Bailey is just a rock. Go Titans.

Toads
02-06-13, 06:36 PM
As long as it doesn't offend Alby. I reckon his nickname should be 'Magic Man', just by the way he magically creates line breaks 'n tries from nothing.. :thumbsup:

Overall, pretty impressed by the Lads efforts today. They seem to be playing with more confidence and their game has improved for it. :)

Noddy1979
02-06-13, 06:42 PM
I don't want to put a wet blanket on today but now we have bye then Number 1 then Number 2 (souths,Melbourne).Falling may be easy but climbing could be the making.

Julius Sezer
02-06-13, 06:44 PM
Our attacking structure has changed dramatically. At one stage Alby was running the ball with two decoy runners running off of him in a short amount of space. That will give Alby much more options to draw the opposition defenders in and also create some space outwide for Taka or Jamal.

The team seem to be full of confidence from the game last week. Momentum is the key from here on in. Zillman is playing well which is a real bonus for us. Sezer i'm getting a tiny bit worried about. He is becoming like Prince. Needs to get involved more and have more variety in his game because at the moment he is too stale. It seems like Albert is doing everything and Sezer is only in the team to kick bombs and to take the conversions.

Sezer can be as dangerous as Alby and when both halves a firing wildly then we will have a dangerous halves pairing, dangerous enough to potentially win the comp.

Coaster
02-06-13, 06:47 PM
Kelly has no fear.

Great to watch

If the broncos game wa the catylist to make our season so be it.

Coaster
02-06-13, 07:03 PM
I don't want to put a wet blanket on today but now we have bye then Number 1 then Number 2 (souths,Melbourne).Falling may be easy but climbing could be the making.

No better time to play them.

Btw I don't think we need Sezer playing like the ALby.
We need Sezer playing like Prince. Controlled and deliberate

Mexican titan
02-06-13, 07:09 PM
Time for DB's post match summary.

All in all, no point bagging anyone too much today effort across the park.

Bailey was incredible today. i didnt realise he did 49 tackles till i got home, but it was the quality of his tackles. He had really great first impact on the ball carrier, often around their hip, stopping there momentum. its such a small difference, and not often picked up, but gee it made a impact.

Alby is a freak. The sooner we sort his contract the better cos at this rate its getting more and more expensive for us to wait. he is driving his price through the roof. i would go to the football on a freezing rainy day to watch this kid play footy.

Sezers general kicking was much improved, especially early he found alot of grass and some deep kicks. his Goal Kicking is amazing. 4 = 6 for us 95% of the time.

Idris was quieter than he has been lately, but not too much to worry about. he has alot of runs on the board and doesnt have to do it all him self each week.

Taka is going real well and has the creativity we have lacked in centres for a long time. not too quick though.

Gordon is playing really well of late, and looks to be getting into a good routine.

Zillman...William... TP... oh how ive wronged you. to be fair, hes played like a busted for 3 years for the most part, but today he showed some serious talent...and it came from him using his biggest strength - his running game. Using him on the short side sweeping around as a extra man is great he can use his good footwork and if they commit to him he can draw pass to idris...such a simple effective play that we can go to again and again. He was good elsewhere too and his timing of runs is now at a level that he can cause damage. exciting times.

Just watched the game again when I got home and your summary is pretty well on the money DB.
The only different view from me is Kevin Gordon. Today, pretty good with the ball in his hands but please kevvy, in defence can you please stay on your wing. He was badly out of position for one of the Cows tries and then nearly caught a few times just after that. He comes in far too much for my liking.
Zillman - terrific today. I agree with what others said about James and it seems to me that the NRL is too quick for him.

Titanic
02-06-13, 11:00 PM
I wonder if Bailey went round to Taylor's house this morning and gave him a "don't be such a sook" talking to because that was a different bloke out there today and Bailey showed him how. Also I just read Kimmorley's comments who praised Cartright's "no structure" style ... where has he been for the last half decade? I just have to write it again ... we looked so much better with out feeding it to the hit-up merchants who will be doing just that on Wednesday night.

TITAN PETE
03-06-13, 01:35 AM
Coach thrilled as Titans keep up NRL form
By By Ed Jackson
AAP
Sun 02nd June, 7:16pm

Albert Kelly flies in for one of his two tries in Gold Coast's 31-12 win over the Cowboys on Sunday
Gold Coast enter their NRL bye week full of confidence after back-to-back thrashings lifted them into the competition's top five.

The Titans will enjoy a week's rest after backing up their 42-4 flogging of Parramatta last week with a 31-12 hiding of an undermanned North Queensland outfit at Skilled Park on Sunday.

Playing a Cowboys outfit shorn of six first-team regulars, the Titans made light of their own State of Origin-enforced absences to run out five-tries-to-three victors against a struggling opposition.

After an ill-disciplined derby loss to Brisbane in round 10, coach John Cartwright said he couldn't fault his team's response to that 32-6 defeat, especially after being on the receiving end of 15-8 penalty count in the Cowboys favour on Sunday.

"It was a very emotional week that week and a bit of it spilled over into the game and, yeah, we didn't respond that well," Cartwright said of the Broncos loss.

"The sign of a good side is how you come out of it. I think we had 17 penalties against us today, which must be some sort of record and there was nothing for back-chatting - they just kept turning up to do their job."

With co-captains Nate Myles and Greg Bird on Origin duty, as well as key back-rower Ashley Harrison, it was stand-in skipper William Zillman and forwards Dave Taylor and Luke Bailey who stood up to the plate for the Titans on Sunday.

Zillman was simply outstanding at fullback, scoring two tries, setting up another and recording a game-high four line breaks.

Veteran Bailey ploughed through 75 minutes while Taylor overcame a calf injury concern to put in what Cartwright described as his best performance for the Titans.

It was a different story for the out-of-form Cowboys, who have lost four straight and desperately missed representative stars Johnathan Thurston, Matt Scott, James Tamou and Brent Tate as well as injured duo Matt Bowen and Gavin Cooper.

Under pressure coach Neil Henry said it was his team's poor start, where they messed up their first three clearing kicks and were trailing 12-0 inside 10 minutes, that had sealed their fate.

"Overall, it's a poor performance from our squad," Henry said.

"We've got enough experience out there, even with our young guys, to be better than that.

"It's a disappointing day for the boys and the club regardless of who's out."

The Titans will make the most of the bye to allow centre Brad Takairangi and forward Ryan James to recover from head knocks while Jamie Dowling will also have an ankle injury assessed and Mark Minichiello is on report for a late high tackle.

The Cowboys host Canterbury next Saturday.

TITAN PETE
03-06-13, 01:47 AM
GOLD COAST 31 bt NORTH QUEENSLAND 12 at Skilled Park.
HE might be miles away from a Queensland recall, but the Coaltrain moved one station closer to his final destination yesterday as Dave Taylor put the team above himself.

The Gold Coast's star recruit produced his finest performance in Titans colours, playing through a calf problem that requires scans today to claim man of the match honours in a 31-12 defeat of North Queensland.

Taylor had been hammered since he was stood down by the club seven weeks ago, accused of being selfish, lazy and uncommitted to the team ethos.

The man many thought could turn into an Origin superstar had fallen so far out of favour that Maroons coach Mal Meninga named eight backrowers in his Game One squad ahead of Taylor.

But recalled into the Titans team just an hour before kick-off, Taylor overcame the mental hurdle of a niggling calf issue to do all the little things expected of him.

It wasn't flashy by Taylor, some would even suggest fullback William Zillman, prop Luke Bailey or halfback Albert Kelly were more deserving of the man of the match, but he did what coach John Cartwright wanted to see which was "fall into line''.

"I don't know (if it was my best game for the club), I was just happy to go out there and do my job for the side,'' Taylor said.

Dave Taylor looks to pass against the Cowboys.

"Everyone has their opinion. I can't judge the way people talk about me.

"There is probably five people I need to listen to and they all work at the Titans. I just make sure that I listen to them guys, take the right advice and try to move on. I feel like I've done that.''

The win moved the Titans (7-5) into fifth on the NRL table and with a bye next week they have put themselves in a solid position to make a finals charge.

"Where we are at the moment just makes me more confident,'' Cartwright said.

"You never play the perfect game but it's how you respond to some errors and penalties against you."

Taylor has not given up hope of a Maroons recall this year, but it would take an injury or form crisis among Meninga's current options for him to play for Queensland this series.

Titans presserGold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright says 'it is the sign of a good side when you don't play so well and still win comfortably'.(7:42 / 46.0MB)
"You always want to play the best game in the world and that is definitely State of Origin,'' Taylor said.

"I just need to go back and make sure I perform well every week, try to do everything I can to keep in the picture and yeah just try and overcome this injury as my first priority.''

Cartwright said: "Dave is falling into line. Today was probably his best performance for the club. He was pretty much error free, he was a handful every time he touched the ball and defensively he kept working hard.''

The Titans and Cowboys may have been missing seven Origin stars yesterday, but they still produced a first-class game full of highlights.

Stand-in skipper Zillman and halfback Kelly both finished with two tries in a game Ryan James and Brad Takairangi failed to finish due to concussion.

GOLD COAST 31 (A Kelly 2 W Zillman 2 M Minichiello tries A Sezer 5 goals A Sezer field goal) bt NORTH QUEENSLAND 12 (A Graham E Lowe A Winterstein tries) at Skilled Park. Referee: Gerard Sutton, Gavin Reynolds.

TITAN FAN
03-06-13, 08:12 AM
Great to see all putting there hand up
This is how they played in first few rounds of the season

DavidBouveng
03-06-13, 08:26 AM
I've given credit to zilly... Now carty.

Letting the team play its natural game is great, but also giving Dowling and Gray a run, along with Irwin, Don and Ioane who have played a couple now, is a sign he has finally decided to let our next wave of talent come through.

Titanic
03-06-13, 08:40 AM
I've given credit to zilly... Now carty.

Letting the team play its natural game is great, but also giving Dowling and Gray a run, along with Irwin, Don and Ioane who have played a couple now, is a sign he has finally decided to let our next wave of talent come through.
And don't forget structure, you can't mention the coach without mentioning structure ... we have been playing a very different type of football the last two weeks.

karnage
03-06-13, 08:43 AM
Another good win. We have turned a corner - no doubt. Souths are working up to a loss, playing some pretty bad footy and still winning and we get the Storm without their spine. We should take some really good momentum out of the bye.

Someone said Zillman's best ever game. It would be close but if his effort against the Warriors in a home semi was his best for mine. This Cowboys game is the benchmark that he needs to meet every week from here on out.

Mr Stupid
03-06-13, 11:44 AM
I was hoping somebody else would have brought this up as I don't want to rain on the parade but where was the crowd?

titanfan1980
03-06-13, 11:45 AM
I wonder if Bailey went round to Taylor's house this morning and gave him a "don't be such a sook" talking to because that was a different bloke out there today and Bailey showed him how. Also I just read Kimmorley's comments who praised Cartright's "no structure" style ... where has he been for the last half decade? I just have to write it again ... we looked so much better with out feeding it to the hit-up merchants who will be doing just that on Wednesday night.

Interesting you say this, cause I for one and don't hate on me agree that Nate myles literally doesn't dent the line and and plays the ball slow.. Something similar to cronulla are 100% this year without gallen because he just try's to do to much work. Not saying at all I don't want him.. I just think we waste him in the front row

Hail Sezer
03-06-13, 12:06 PM
Few of the lads jumped up the NRL stats ladders after yesterdays game.

Currently:

Aidan Sezer is 2nd for points scored with 74 (Behind A. Reynolds)
Alby is 4th equal for tries, 3rd for try assists, 5th for tackles, 5th for lb assists
Jamal is 5th for try assists, 1st for lb assists, 5th or hitups
Zillman is 1st for line breaks with 13

teke
03-06-13, 12:17 PM
Just watched the game again when I got home and your summary is pretty well on the money DB.
The only different view from me is Kevin Gordon. Today, pretty good with the ball in his hands but please kevvy, in defence can you please stay on your wing. He was badly out of position for one of the Cows tries and then nearly caught a few times just after that. He comes in far too much for my liking.
Zillman - terrific today. I agree with what others said about James and it seems to me that the NRL is too quick for him.both mead/don and Kevin are always way inside off their men. The titans stack the middle with men and always have trouble with numbers on the edge. Some teams have exploited this very well against us this yr

TITAN PETE
03-06-13, 12:22 PM
I was hoping somebody else would have brought this up as I don't want to rain on the parade but where was the crowd?

That word would be the main reason & the fact it was a very weak Cows side

teke
03-06-13, 12:24 PM
Another good win. We have turned a corner - no doubt. Souths are working up to a loss, playing some pretty bad footy and still winning and we get the Storm without their spine. We should take some really good momentum out of the bye.

Someone said Zillman's best ever game. It would be close but if his effort against the Warriors in a home semi was his best for mine. This Cowboys game is the benchmark that he needs to meet every week from here on out.i think it's way too early to say we have turned a corner.

I agree with titanic that the structure looks slot better with a few of the ball stranglers sitting out.

shamus
03-06-13, 12:28 PM

You already said it....."It rained on our parade"...Weather looked horrible heading into early arvo, I was required to pull the poncho out twice but all in all I stayed pretty dry. But I guess others thought differently and preferred the option to definately stay dry..

Crowd was supposedly 12K so better than some other Sunday arvos. :D

Smakked
03-06-13, 12:32 PM
I was going to be there but daughter had a car accident just before i was leaving, good win by the boys just watched it then. Good to see them all play for each other. DT had a great game as did Zilly. Mark Ioane is very promising, runs hard and is hard to take down, Ryan James gives to many penaltys, he does realize that you CANNOT put your hand on the ball in the tackle doesn't he, has any one told him?

Over all great win and i feel more confident in taking on the bunnies in a fortnight.

karnage
03-06-13, 12:45 PM
i think it's way too early to say we have turned a corner.

I agree with titanic that the structure looks slot better with a few of the ball stranglers sitting out.

We have won the past two games by a combined total of 55 points. In the past we would have won those two games by a maximum combined margin of about 18. That's why I say we have turned a corner, we are beating teams comfortably this past fortnight. We should have done that to the Dragons and the Warriors as well.

Agree about the 'ball stranglers' - good term. We need Alby and Sezar to mature to the point where they can demand the ball and let those guys know what they think when they get in the way.

The other great aspect of the game was watching it WITHOUT O'Dwyer and Michaels there to stink the game up. I've gotta say though Kevvie Gordon is still not looking good at all. He is slow, can't break tackles and is caught out in defence too often. I hope Carty chooses the team on merits when Mead returns because Don looks the better player.

Titanic
03-06-13, 03:48 PM
It's a funny game rugby league. You play to the percentages and get whacked; you chance your arm, make a few mistakes and you win by a lot (even with penalties against you and the minority of possession) ... hence all the crying about the lack of expansive play over the last how many years.

For all those old timers on here, I remember as a kid teams playing in the NSWRL, circa 1965, playing something then called "contract football" ... a style where every player made a "contract" with their team mates to back them up either in attack or in defence. Anybody proven to be not participating was dropped ... rugby league is a funny game.

shamus
03-06-13, 05:02 PM
For all those old timers on here, I remember as a kid teams playing in the NSWRL, circa 1965,was dropped ....

NSWRL....are you saying you were born a blue Titanic?? :ugh:

Geeman
03-06-13, 05:38 PM

Alby is 4th equal for tries, 3rd for try assists, 5th for tackles, 5th for lb assists

Don't think I ever saw Prince in the stats for tackles made... :rolleyes:

ozynorts
03-06-13, 06:01 PM
The really good thing in the last two weeks is the team seems to be playing attacking footy. Rather than just hit it up and try to wear them down they are attacking the opposition and forcing defenders to make decisions and the results are there for all to see. If they play like that against Melbourne and South's they will have a very good chance at winning the game. Loved watching the last two games and I haven't said that for a while.

Tamwelg
03-06-13, 06:48 PM

Currently:

Those stats don't include the side on a bye round, only the sides that played this week.

Noddy1979
03-06-13, 06:57 PM
Don't think I ever saw Prince in the stats for tackles made... :rolleyes:

He was prolific in the missed column though

Hail Sezer
03-06-13, 07:02 PM
Those stats don't include the side on a bye round, only the sides that played this week.

:sadpace:

Nick
03-06-13, 07:20 PM

Currently:

Just had a look at that, it only mentions players in this week, Maloney is top point scorer.. I have been watching closely as i backed Sezer to get it.

Hail Sezer
03-06-13, 07:28 PM
Just had a look at that, it only mentions players in this week, Maloney is top point scorer.. I have been watching closely as i backed Sezer to get it.

:sadpace:

Anyone else want to rain on my parade? :laugh:

DavidBouveng
03-06-13, 07:38 PM
Hail, those stats are BS mate, sort it out. cant be posting inaccurate stuff here all willy nilly.

Hail Sezer
03-06-13, 07:45 PM
Hail, those stats are BS mate, sort it out. cant be posting inaccurate stuff here all willy nilly.

You'd better check yourself before you wreck yourself DB

DavidBouveng
03-06-13, 08:04 PM
You'd better check yourself before you wreck yourself DB

im too busy checking ur stats

Hail Sezer
03-06-13, 08:06 PM
im too busy checking ur stats

Don't make me put you in a sleep paralysis

Toads
03-06-13, 08:37 PM
What the hell.. I hope they (NRL) adjust that score before it's considered in the stats..

Round 12 Results (Titans 34 to Cowboys 32) (http://www.nrl.com/HoldenCup/2013Draw/tabid/11181/Default.aspx)

amaline
03-06-13, 09:43 PM
What the hell.. I hope they (NRL) adjust that score before it's considered in the stats..

Round 12 Results (Titans 34 to Cowboys 32) (http://www.nrl.com/HoldenCup/2013Draw/tabid/11181/Default.aspx)

Under 20s?

Titanic
04-06-13, 12:00 AM
NSWRL....are you saying you were born a blue Titanic?? :ugh:
Hahaha, nope, but my grandmother lived in Randwick and I spent holidays there when I was very young. Her neighbours were SCG members and had a kid my age. Saw a lots of good footy and Sheffield Shield. Played a few of the very first Origins in the streets there too (15 years before Ron McCauliffe thought he invented it).

There was a time when the NSWRL was the NRL.

Toads
04-06-13, 07:44 AM
Under 20s?

Ahh ok, my mistake. Cheers amaline. :)