PDA

View Full Version : Will we make the Finals 2013?

Smakked
19-05-13, 11:10 AM
What are peoples thoughts?
Me personally from the last few weeks we have no hope, we wont get near the top 4 i know that, i am sort of hoping we dont make the finals so then they look at ditching Carty and getting someone who has a clue.

Supergoose
19-05-13, 11:15 AM
Big changes needed in attacking structures and last play options and we can right this ship pretty quickly. Can't see it happening but forever hopeful.

DIEHARD
19-05-13, 12:12 PM
You should add a poll to this thread.

DIEHARD
19-05-13, 12:13 PM
Our run home is nasty.... And Origin won't be pretty for us losing a few of our best.

teke
19-05-13, 12:49 PM
I dont know if we can make it the way we are playing.

A fair few ordinary sides in the comp this yr

DavidBouveng
19-05-13, 01:01 PM
We are 5 -5 with a cruisey opening and extra home games. Haven't played storm rabbits roosters yet.

Our run home is brutal and are actually going backwards... Doesn't look good.

It's sad because 5-8th place will be reasonably soft this year, and if we can't make it this year it's a pretty bad situation

Titanic
19-05-13, 01:36 PM
I desperately think we need to make the finals with the roster we have or we'll start losing corporate support, however, I had this great idea ... we need a new coaching structure.

teke
19-05-13, 03:58 PM
I desperately think we need to make the finals with the roster we have or we'll start losing corporate support, however, I had this great idea ... we need a new coaching structure.Missingout on the finals probably wouldnt be the worst thing to happen this yr

Geeman
19-05-13, 04:01 PM
Short answer, No.
Long answer, Noooooooo.
Having looked at our upcoming/run home, I really don't think we have a shot unless the team can get their s*** together.
The first couple of games this year our defense was outstanding, and our attack looked dangerous, but this seems to have whittled away as the season goes on.

gotitans101_
19-05-13, 04:14 PM
We might just sneak into the 8 but that's as far as we'll get. Let's not forget we have a very tough run home too and we really needed to be winning games during this period before Origin.

mdrew
19-05-13, 04:24 PM
Absolutely no chance, unless a miracle happens.

TITAN PETE
19-05-13, 06:50 PM
As long as Cartwright is coaching & Searle deciding who we buy then we have no chance..

Coaster
19-05-13, 07:14 PM
As long as Cartwright is coaching & Searle deciding who we buy then we have no chance..

Agree

It's time to bring all this to a head.
Those players last week showed to me they had lost faith in the so called game plan. They were individualals.

Also the comment from Carty saying we are not a high profile team is just as disturbing. But it is easier to lower expectations then to raise your standards.

We have no chance IMO. And even if we do, we are so friggin boring to watch who would care???

Mexican titan
19-05-13, 08:24 PM
Agree

Those players last week showed to me they had lost faith in the so called game plan. They were individualals.

Also the comment from Carty saying we are not a high profile team is just as disturbing. But it is easier to lower expectations then to raise your standards.

We have no chance IMO. And even if we do, we are so friggin boring to watch who would care???

Pretty well spot on in my book. I think we should be a top 4 team or just outside but on the last few weeks, no chance of top 8. For all the carry on about the refs on Friday, Brisbane were well under strength and the refs got us home against Parra, and probably the Dragons.

Smakked
19-05-13, 08:49 PM
SPot on Coaster.
I have watched all games this weekend and by far we are the most boring to watch, and watching the games even the teams that lost didnt play as bad as we did, atm i think we would struggle to beat the tigers who basically have a NSW cup side on the field, i have a feeling we will get rolled this weekend by the eels.

I am expecting a long and frustrating rest of season, its even hard to pick out positives from all this all tho i am trying to.

DavidBouveng
19-05-13, 09:28 PM
Agree

Also the comment from Carty saying we are not a high profile team is just as disturbing. But it is easier to lower
expectations then to raise your standards.

That comment was ironic to me, because he was saying that if we were high profile the Ref blunders would be front page. but if we were high profile, he wouldnt have lasted as our coach past 2011.

Our low profile keeps him in a job.

Also, we finally get a game on a Friday night and that was we show the league world?

Toads
20-05-13, 10:03 AM
I have watched all games this weekend and by far we are the most boring to watch, and watching the games even the teams that lost didnt play as bad as we did, atm i think we would struggle to beat the tigers who basically have a NSW cup side on the field, i have a feeling we will get rolled this weekend by the eels.

I am expecting a long and frustrating rest of season, its even hard to pick out positives from all this all tho i am trying to.

You only have to watch a handful of other games each weekend 'n you see how boring we are. Admittedly, we did show a lot of promise in the first few Rounds. But for reason/s unknown to me. That has all gone south since, and there's very little signs of improvement in the near future. :(

karnage
20-05-13, 02:10 PM
You only have to watch a handful of other games each weekend 'n you see how boring we are. Admittedly, we did show a lot of promise in the first few Rounds. But for reason/s unknown to me. That has all gone south since, and there's very little signs of improvement in the near future. :(

I disagree. It was obvious to me from Round 1 that we were not any different from previous years.

I had a fairly substantial wager on the Titans at the start of the season to miss the top 8, and I haven't seen anything to tell me that this was a poor bet. My only mistake was betting too early - I probably could have got set at much better odds after we beat Manly...

TITAN FAN
20-05-13, 07:27 PM
With origin approaching and Falloon and Mead out who have been two of our best this year its not looking to promising

karnage
27-05-13, 10:02 AM
Right now there are two teams* outside the 8 that look like genuine finals contenders - the BULLDOGS and the RAIDERS.

The Raiders have a lot of home games to come and they showed on Saturday night versus the Sea Eagles that they are a quality side.

The BULLDOGS are too good to ignore now that KASIANO, JAMES and BARBA are back to playing good football.

The three teams in the eight that look the most vulnerable are the PANTHERS, BRONCOS and (unfortunately given our schedule over the last 8 weeks of the competition) the TITANS.

So I have two coming into the 8 and I think the two dropping out will come from the three mentioned. The Panthers will be one so our finals hopes rest on getting the better of the Broncos in the run home.

(*NOTE: I have left the Cowboys out of my top 8 equation - losing to the Warriors and Tigers has cruelled their chances given that they lose their entire front row and their halfback during the Origin period.)

DIEHARD
27-05-13, 04:07 PM
Right now there are two teams* outside the 8 that look like genuine finals contenders - the BULLDOGS and the RAIDERS.

The Raiders have a lot of home games to come and they showed on Saturday night versus the Sea Eagles that they are a quality side.

The BULLDOGS are too good to ignore now that KASIANO, JAMES and BARBA are back to playing good football.

The three teams in the eight that look the most vulnerable are the PANTHERS, BRONCOS and (unfortunately given our schedule over the last 8 weeks of the competition) the TITANS.

So I have two coming into the 8 and I think the two dropping out will come from the three mentioned. The Panthers will be one so our finals hopes rest on getting the better of the Broncos in the run home.

(*NOTE: I have left the Cowboys out of my top 8 equation - losing to the Warriors and Tigers has cruelled their chances given that they lose their entire front row and their halfback during the Origin period.)

Very good analysis Karnage, I agree. Let's see how it unfolds. How does the Broncos run home look?

Geeman
27-05-13, 04:41 PM
Very good analysis Karnage, I agree. Let's see how it unfolds. How does the Broncos run home look?

Looks like they get a decent run home, Rd17 against Storm(at AAMI), none against Souths, Manly or Roosters, and Bulldogs at Suncorp for the final round.

Titanic
27-05-13, 05:28 PM
They'll be carrying Prince by then.

karnage
27-05-13, 10:37 PM
Well since my original post the Sharks have forced their way into the 8 also. Completely forgot about them. They have been given a huge boost by the non selection of Carney and Wade Graham.

I think their is going to be a lot of battling to do over spots 5-8.

Noddy1979
28-05-13, 06:47 AM
I can't see us making the eight because of one factor (Consistancy). I hope I'm proved wrong but when you can't have confidence from week to week that's a problem.

Smakked
28-05-13, 07:45 AM
yeah i am no where near convinced after beating Parra, come back to me when we knock of a full strength Rabbitohs , Storm, Bulldogs, Manly and Sharks.

karnage
28-05-13, 09:32 AM
yeah i am no where near convinced after beating Parra, come back to me when we knock of a full strength Rabbitohs , Storm, Bulldogs, Manly and Sharks.

I don't really buy into that idea. The Parramatta win was against a bad team but there is no doubt that it was our best performance in a long time. At least the equal of the win against Manly.

Penrith have beaten the storm and were narrowly defeated by the Rabbits but I don't see them as any sort of premiership contender. At this stage, the style of footy we play is more important to me than results. If we can play with the sort of fluency that we displayed in the second half against Parramatta a lot of people (myself included) are going to be a lot happier than grinding out dour wins like the one we got against the Dragons.

C-Whiz
31-05-13, 06:41 PM
I don't really buy into that idea. The Parramatta win was against a bad team but there is no doubt that it was our best performance in a long time. The Parra game showed we have the natural ability to score points. The ability to break a club record when Cartwright doesn't give them a game plan to play to.

With all due respect Karnage, I hope you did your doe betting against the Titans, but you are betting on poor coaching, not team quality.

What a sorry state for a team, a club, and it's fans to find themselves in.

karnage
01-06-13, 12:42 AM
The Parra game showed we have the natural ability to score points. The ability to break a club record when Cartwright doesn't give them a game plan to play to.

With all due respect Karnage, I hope you did your doe betting against the Titans, but you are betting on poor coaching, not team quality.

What a sorry state for a team, a club, and it's fans to find themselves in.

I bet a lot more than the average person so the Titans to miss the Top 8 is just another bet to me. A little bit of win-win really mate. If we make the finals I'll be the first guy on a plane to anywhere to watch the game. If we don't, I collect.

So don't take my bet as any sort of commentary on the team, it was just a matter of the team being what I perceived to be 'over the odds'.

But what you say is spot on about the quality of the team. My old man came back from a 6-week overseas holiday and we were talking about our team and he kept coming back to where we would be if we had Trent Robinson (the new Easts coach) and they had John Cartwright. Our team is every bit as good as the Roosters, so I put it to anybody that we would be a top 4 moral if he was in charge of our side.

But.....

I've said I will no longer bag Carty on here so you're bringing out the worst in me!!!:fight:

I haven't given up hope we will make it, however I fear the last 2 months of the season are going to be dreary.

Titanic
01-06-13, 10:58 AM
I have read opinions on here for years and the whole forum group as become a part of my life, thanks for the camaraderie. The debate around coaching is hardly a knee-jerk reaction to a few poor results. We have endured a wooden spoon and below par performances for years. The whole process of team development and its link to performance is way out of kilter ... for years fellas, years.

Geeman
06-07-13, 09:29 PM
After the last 2 performances, I think the season has definitely slipped away, but hey, the team can feel free to prove me wrong :fight:

gotitans101_
06-07-13, 09:47 PM
All over for another year. And our so called 'board' will continue to let their fans suffer.

teke
06-07-13, 09:48 PM
Straight up NO

Julius Sezer
06-07-13, 09:54 PM
The only way we will make finals is if the Titans get relegated to the QLD Cup and make the finals of the QLD Cup. Even that i am unsure of.

Smakked
06-07-13, 09:56 PM
Yeah another year gone and no finals, so we have 4 years left of this **** till carty is gone ?

gotitans101_
06-07-13, 09:57 PM
Is it 3 or 4? I've lost count.

Toads
06-07-13, 10:00 PM
Carty 'n TP signed a 5 year deal about the same time. I think that was back in 2011 when our season 'n financial credibility went to **** 'n Searle needed some news to spruik to make it sound like there was stabilty within the Club. So yeah, I think they both got 3 years on paper still.. :(

Hail Sezer
06-07-13, 10:10 PM
2013 premiers baby

Bayside Titan
06-07-13, 10:50 PM
No on the past two games.

TITAN PETE
06-07-13, 10:53 PM
Carty Quits , that's the only headline that will help this team for 13' & beyond

DavidBouveng
06-07-13, 10:54 PM
No. We are an improved side, but not considtent yet. no top 8 side shoukd have games like we have had lately. we have relied on maunly two guys to create most of our points, and needed them firing for a tough run home.

One Is now injured and other looks to be struging slightly with bring the sole weapon.

Keep learning. Another good off season and see how 2014 goes, but we all know without certain changes we know what we are going to get..

Coaster
06-07-13, 10:57 PM
Seriously who's great idea was it to take them on a two week trip to Newcastle and Darwin during origin without a break?

DIEHARD
06-07-13, 11:48 PM
Our finals campaign looks in huge trouble. Getting smashed two times in a week. We look to be 7th after this round is finished.

CoastSportsFan
15-07-13, 02:55 AM
Looking unlikely with the draw we have. How is it that we get the bye and yet still manage to fall lower on the ladder? We'll need to beat Manly this week or we'll probably start to fall too far behind.

DIEHARD
15-07-13, 03:01 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/diehard2/2013_zps2823658a.jpg

Julius Sezer
15-07-13, 07:33 AM
The only games i see us winning are against the Tigers and maybe the Cows. I said from the start of the season that we have to be doing really early on in the season because our run home is going to be really hard.

Looks like things won't end well for us. No top 8 for us this year :(

gctitansoldier
15-07-13, 10:26 AM
I believed 2013 was a building year with new halves combination but things looked promising during trials and first few rounds.
Then same boring game plan came into play.
Honestly can't see us making the eight after the last month of football we have delivered.
With the squad we have we should be sitting top 4.
Unfortunately when we miss the eight I believe the coaching staff will not be looked at.
I understand Cartwright will cost a fortune to remove so at least could we buy an assistant or 2 without touch football on their résumé.

CoastSportsFan
15-07-13, 11:30 AM
If 2013 was a building year then what was 2012 and 2011? Clean out years? We are in a really bad spot right now. Another year outside finals :(

Toads
15-07-13, 12:44 PM
If 2013 was a building year then what was 2012 and 2011? Clean out years? We are in a really bad spot right now. Another year outside finals :(

Until there's some major changes in Daily Managerial Operations and Coaching within the Club. I'd imagine a few of us have given up all hope of falling into the top 8, or 4 for that matter. If we did, it'd be off the back of a complete miracle. On paper, we have one of the best squads in the NRL, but you wouldn't think so if you witnessed the Knight 'n Panthers games just recently. I'm not sure how a squad could go off the rails like it has (on the paddock). But it appears to be a common trait 'n only thing that's not changing is the Management and Coaching Staff. So it's understandable that people have been pointing their finger/s in that area for some time now..

Julius Sezer
15-07-13, 12:53 PM
Heartbreaks and Ashtrays.

Bayside Titan
15-07-13, 01:05 PM
It would be a Miracle that we stay in the 8 or even finish where we did last year..

Mr Stupid
16-07-13, 11:21 AM
It would be a Miracle that we stay in the 8 or even finish where we did last year..

Not a miracle, it just means this very good squad need to play to their potential and produce some great footy. Nothing miraculous in that. The question is can they do it inspite of the coach as opposed to because of the coach.

DavidBouveng
16-07-13, 09:29 PM
Not a miracle, it just means this very good squad need to play to their potential and produce some great footy. Nothing miraculous in that. The question is can they do it inspite of the coach as opposed to because of the coach.

it would be hard as they need to basically beat top 4 teams alot of the way home, as well as other teams below who are heating up, all without our main strike attacker and defender.

Boofhead
18-07-13, 09:35 AM
All of a sudden the Rabbit's game has become a hell of a lot easier.

State of Origin III: Greg Inglis out for up to eight weeks after injuring knee in Maroons' 12-10 win (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-18/greg-inglis-out-for-up-to-eight-weeks/4827274)

TITAN PETE
18-07-13, 09:46 AM
All of a sudden the Rabbit's game has become a hell of a lot easier.

State of Origin III: Greg Inglis out for up to eight weeks after injuring knee in Maroons' 12-10 win (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-18/greg-inglis-out-for-up-to-eight-weeks/4827274)

Need to beat Manly 1st , hopefully DCE is too hungover to play this Sunday :?)

Boofhead
18-07-13, 09:55 AM
Need to beat Manly 1st , hopefully DCE is too hungover to play this Sunday :?)

Hopefully he goes out with Barba's mob on a bender. :laugh:

Another interesting point is that Manly and Rabbits will both have short turnarounds from Monday night games. We can't face them at a better time.

teke
18-07-13, 12:42 PM
Rabbits have won the past 5 of 6 without GI, them missing Sutton is alot better for us than inglis. Manly will put the cleaners through us big time...Dowling will be under immense pressure asanly love that corridor

Boofhead
18-07-13, 02:32 PM
I'm sure Downling and Rankin would much rather Justin Hunt running at them rather then GI. :p

teke
18-07-13, 04:20 PM
Lets hope they are able to stay in the team after matai works the right side over

Bayside Titan
18-07-13, 04:29 PM
Lets hope they are able to stay in the team after matai works the right side over
Matai and lyon and Watmough and Cherry even and Brendan Lawerance and..........

CoastSportsFan
22-07-13, 12:51 AM
If we don't beat Souths this weekend I think finals are over for us.

DIEHARD
22-07-13, 07:20 AM
Titans refuse to concede it's over

THE Titans are refusing to give up on their finals hopes despite another patchy defensive performance cruelling their hopes of pushing into the top eight in the NRL.

The Gold Coast headed to Manly yesterday confident of upsetting the fourth-placed Sea Eagles despite lining up without Origin stars Nate Myles and Greg Bird.

But their hopes were ground into the Brookvale Oval turf after they conceded four tries in a 13-minute period in the first half to trail 24-4 after just 25 minutes.

While a brave second-half fightback got them within eight points, they eventually lost 38-20 to tumble to 10th place, facing a tough battle to make the playoffs. With seven rounds to go, none of the three Queensland clubs are in the top eight, with the loser of Friday's Cowboys-Broncos clash in Townsville facing elimination from the finals race.

But Gold Coast coach John Cartwright and his players are refusing to concede their season is over, with Cartwright pointing to their dogged fightback as the spark that could yet ignite the Titans' hopes.

''There were some good aspects of the game. I suppose the thing that hurts us most is the tries we leaked again,'' Cartwright said.

Titans forward Ashley Harrison could come under scrutiny from the match review committee for a late tackle on Kieran Foran early in the first half, although the tackle was not penalised or placed on report.

For all their talk about improved discipline and defence, the Titans showed few differences in the first 35 minutes from the side that leaked 86 points to the Knights and Panthers.

Only a rare off day with the boot from Jamie Lyon prevented them from having conceded 30 points at half-ime. But Cartwright was heartened by a second-half improvement.

A David Mead try just before the break gave the Titans some faint hope of launching a second-half comeback but their chances seemed slim when Ryan James was sin-binned for a professional foul early in the second term. But when they had every reason to drop their heads, the Titans finally showed some fight.

''I thought the majority of the second half, especially the period where we had 12 men, we found our pride in our defensive line,'' Cartwright said.

''When we look back on our season and we're playing finals footy, I think we can look at that period where we discovered that (our mojo) is there.

''You never lose it you lose confidence and you might lose the odd player, but you don't lose your ability.

''There was a lot to like about the second half but we were still just leaking too many points.''

When Aidan Sezer fielded a grubber close to his own line and raced 98m to score, the Titans were within eight points and sniffing an upset.

Manly coach Geoff Toovey was not concerned with the way his team let the Titans back into the clash.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au

thelwall
22-07-13, 11:41 AM
Titans refuse to concede it's over

''I thought the majority of the second half, especially the period where we had 12 men, we found our pride in our defensive line,'' Cartwright said.

''When we look back on our season and we're playing finals footy, I think we can look at that period where we discovered that (our mojo) is there.

''You never lose it you lose confidence and you might lose the odd player, but you don't lose your ability.

''There was a lot to like about the second half but we were still just leaking too many points.''

http://www.goldcoast.com.au

hahahahahah carty is having a laugh isnt ... jesus christ

Mexican titan
22-07-13, 05:02 PM
Jesus coaches that say things were better in the second half after being down a huge margin at half time give me the sh**s. Manly had scored 5, yes 5, tries by half time and they are a side that traditionally slacken off when they are doing it easily.

Coaster
22-07-13, 05:25 PM
23 tries scored against the Titans in last 3 games.

Tamwelg
22-07-13, 05:39 PM
23 tries scored against the Titans in last 3 games.

Wow didn't realise it was that bad.

CoastSportsFan
27-07-13, 09:35 PM
Well that is probably season over guys :(

Disappointing because we actually let this one slip unlike the last two seasons.

mdrew
27-07-13, 09:51 PM
Can we please close this thread, no hope

amaline
27-07-13, 10:01 PM
Can we please close this thread, no hope

Start a "Will we get the spoon 2013" thread.

Mexican titan
27-07-13, 11:13 PM
Start a "Will we get the spoon 2013" thread.

Thank Christ for Parramatta. No coincidence that Stuart and Carty are mates either. Must be a great conversation that they have when they talking coaching ability.

CoastSportsFan
30-07-13, 03:20 PM
A loss this week against Wests at home and I think it's definitely season over. Seems like the only player that can score is Gordy.

Jamal's Hamstring
01-08-13, 08:14 PM
I just cant see it happening this year. I dont see what changes next year to improve our chances either. It is such a shame. I rate Sezer and Kelly as one of the best pairs of halves even at this early stage. Mead is a gun. Our forwards should get the better of most teams. I dont know what we are lacking on the park but to say we are not off the pace is deluded.

CoastSportsFan
12-08-13, 08:58 PM
Back in the 8 now. Can we do it?

Supergoose
12-08-13, 11:29 PM
Win against the Cowboys and the Warriors and we're in I'd reckon. If not we'll have to steal one against either the Storm or the Roosters to make it. 2 more wins should be enough. Broncos or Cowboys can make it if they win their remaining games and they don't have super tough draws. Hodges going down will be the Broncos downfall though.

Titanic
13-08-13, 12:44 AM
I think we need 3 and that's a vey tall order.

Tamwelg
13-08-13, 08:31 AM
I think we need 3 and that's a vey tall order.

I think 2 will do it. I've had a play around with the ladder predictor on nrl.com and I think 28 points will make the 8.

Toads
13-08-13, 09:02 AM
A real bizarre season.. We seem to get dusted up by the mid-pack 'n cellar dwellers 'n yet we seem to catch the top teams out while they're having a off day or in a slump.

I guess the Titans 2013 season could be regarded as scrappy, and considering who we've got to come up in the last 4 rounds, it seems it could go either way. Maybe miracles do happen..

TITAN FAN
13-08-13, 12:18 PM
At the beginning of the season points scored against us were few, we were one of the best defensive teams in the comp
A few games later and teams were steam rolling all over us

I have mentioned in the past at the beginning of the season the whole side were playing with a bit of mongrel

They lost the mongrel and then lost games

Last night was the first time in a long while I have seen the team as a whole play with mongrel in them, as a result they had the Dogs intimidated and confused Falloon gave it to Ennis

I was very impressed with Falloon at nine he was a leader on the field and played with plenty of mongrel as did Bird and James
A credit to the whole team

Keep up the mongrel !!!

TITAN FAN
13-08-13, 12:25 PM
If they played the way they did last night they are in with a chance

Smakked
13-08-13, 12:56 PM
I am still not convinced we will make it, if we do i dont want to put out in the first week of the finals

hatchy84
13-08-13, 01:37 PM
Semis week 1 bird vs gallen

Geeman
13-08-13, 04:02 PM
Still a long shot, but it is becoming more of a possibility, I think it depends on a few other teams results going in our favour.

shamus
13-08-13, 05:28 PM
It will come down the the last round. We will win over the Cowboys and Warriors, get touched up by Storm and Roosters (get real people ;)) and it will come down to the Broncos losing at Suncorp to Dogs.

ozynorts
17-08-13, 07:33 PM
And what do we think now? This was a must win for us.

Supergoose
18-08-13, 09:32 PM
Tough to win from here. We should dust the Warriors and then we'll need one win against either the Storm or Roosters away. Not impossible, especially if either team rest a star or two. There's life guys, so there's still hope. I thought we'd beat the Cowboys but got dusted out wide.

C-Whiz
20-08-13, 08:51 AM
Tough to win from here. We should dust the Warriors and then we'll need one win against either the Storm or Roosters away. Not impossible, especially if either team rest a star or two. There's life guys, so there's still hope. I thought we'd beat the Cowboys but got dusted out wide.This is exactly how I feel/see it.
Should have beat the Cows. Put plenty of pressure on ourselves now, but it all comes down to the Warriors at Skilled.

Rooters round 25 will be playing to cement the minor premiership, so no point smashing oureleves up trying to beat the most consistent team in the comp.

Storm will be safe in the top 4, and hopefully will bash themselves against Manly round 25 for a bit of confidence/psychological edge. Either way, they will be top 4 and they will have no reason to risk themselves competing with a Titans side that should be playing like it's a GF.

So, it's all about the Warriors, who will be thinking about winning at home the following week. If we can't beat the Warriors at Skilled, should we even be considering ourselves finals worthy?

CoastSportsFan
24-08-13, 07:28 PM
Can anyone see any way in which we can make finals now? Obviously if we win our next two games it's possible but I can't see that happening.

Boofhead
24-08-13, 07:55 PM
26 points might get us into the finals, depends on a lot of sides losing games.

Boofhead
24-08-13, 07:56 PM
Knights turning down this 12 point deficit would be a great start.

gotitans101_
24-08-13, 09:04 PM
Cows just knocked us out of the 8 (for now). Better them than the Donkeys.

CoastSportsFan
24-08-13, 09:13 PM
Cowboys in the 8, we're out. Got us well and truly covered on for and against. They have Cronulla and Wests coming up and we have Manly and Melbourne. How can we possibly finish ahead of them????

Mexican titan
24-08-13, 09:26 PM
Cowboys in the 8, we're out. Got us well and truly covered on for and against. They have Cronulla and Wests coming up and we have Manly and Melbourne. How can we possibly finish ahead of them????

And we don't deserve to. Just think if we had sacked our coach we might have won 4 in a row like the Cows.
Making the 8 would be a waste of time anyway and cover over the major coaching issues we have. I want nothing that takes the pressure of our coaching staff - and that includes the under 20's set up. They were pathetic again today.

Titanic
24-08-13, 11:58 PM
roosters and melbourne not manly

CoastSportsFan
25-08-13, 12:53 AM
roosters and melbourne not manly

My bad. Roosters are even worse. I have tried to think of a way in which we can make finals but I just can't...

C-Whiz
25-08-13, 11:45 AM
Just looking at nrl.com, we are 24 points with 5 other teams, Cows odds of Premiership are 29:1, Warriors are 51:1 and we are 301:1. :?)

I think our chances of making the finals may be over. :D

But I still think we will beat the Storm on the back of them resting players.

Bayside Titan
26-08-13, 02:31 PM
We could finish the year in 13th. That dumbfounds me after we showed a lot of promise and the roster that we have.

Maybe finishing that low may be a cross marked against Carty interms of KPI's

CoastSportsFan
01-09-13, 05:11 PM
Well it's simple now. We need two things to happen next week for us to play finals. We need to beat the Storm in Melbourne and the Cowboys need to lose to West Tigers. I want to believe but I just can't see both of these things happening. Oh well, we are still alive!

Nick
01-09-13, 05:22 PM
Or we beat the storm and the Eels beat the knights..

Boofhead
01-09-13, 05:25 PM
Eels beating the Knights would be more likely.

teke
01-09-13, 06:17 PM
So many wasted games this yr.

What a shame

Coaster
01-09-13, 06:25 PM
We have won 3 of our last 9 games

We got this.

Titanic
01-09-13, 06:45 PM
not sure how a 33% winning record guarantees us anything except an early mad Monday.

teke
01-09-13, 06:53 PM
:laugh::laugh:

Toads
01-09-13, 07:15 PM
We have won 3 of our last 9 games

We got this.

Comment of the season! :thumbsup: :laugh:

TITAN FAN
01-09-13, 08:17 PM
YEP
Souths Manly GF is not looking out of the ordinary

Smakked
01-09-13, 08:27 PM
We wont make the finals but at least we finish higher then the donkeys

Toads
01-09-13, 08:32 PM

Amen to that! :thumbsup: :laugh:

karnage
01-09-13, 08:33 PM
I just said this elsewhere - but it bears repeating:

We went a combined 1-7 against Brisbane, Newcastle, Penrith and NZ. That is our season right there. 4-4 against that lot gets us a home elimination final in Week 1. Do the business as we should have, 6-2 and we are playing for a top 4 spot against the Storm this coming week.

And people wonder why we are frustrated.....

Titanic
01-09-13, 08:46 PM
no they don't ... it's obvious ... Searle just can't extricate himself from his mate.

Titus
02-09-13, 04:15 PM
no they don't ... it's obvious ... Searle just can't extricate himself from his mate.

Too true Titanic, but heard it on very good authority today that Neil Henry will move in at assistant coach next year. Apparently he'll get the call up to the senior position if next season doesn't go well. Looks like Annersley has already thought about our finals predicament.

Tamwelg
02-09-13, 04:43 PM
Too true Titanic, but heard it on very good authority today that Neil Henry will move in at assistant coach next year. Apparently he'll get the call up to the senior position if next season doesn't go well. Looks like Annersley has already thought about our finals predicament.

this is one of the pieces of news I have been hoping to hear. I won't get too excited until its official though.

Titus
02-09-13, 05:20 PM
this is one of the pieces of news I have been hoping to hear. I won't get too excited until its official though.

Fair call mate. A reliable source, but you are right, I won't believe it until its official either.

Steve
02-09-13, 05:48 PM

Success enough in my books!

Coaster
02-09-13, 05:49 PM
Fair call mate. A reliable source, but you are right, I won't believe it until its official either.

Great to hear

Hail Sezer
02-09-13, 05:54 PM

Best news I've heard in a long time. Hopefully it's correct.

karnage
03-09-13, 03:21 PM
I'm a Rugby League fan who only needs HOPE. If Henry is on board I will have that.

Titanic
03-09-13, 03:32 PM
I'm a Rugby League fan who only needs HOPE. If Henry is on board I will have that.
And amen to that, brother.

C-Whiz
04-09-13, 07:28 AM

Absolutely karnage.

Definitely sounds like someone is prepared to change things up a bit. Or a lot.

I'll be renewing my membership today. :thumbsup:

I put a dollar on Titans to win GF this year. Could be the easiest $500 I've ever made. :D

Bayside Titan
04-09-13, 01:20 PM
Great News IMO....Some thing to look forward to next year already....

Titus
04-09-13, 08:37 PM
Great News IMO....Some thing to look forward to next year already....

Hey guys, gee I hope my mail turns out to be correct! I can see the hopes and dreams of you all riding on it!! Fingers crossed my man is right.

Hail Sezer
04-09-13, 08:39 PM
Hey guys, gee I hope my mail turns out to be correct! I can see the hopes and dreams of you all riding on it!! Fingers crossed my man is right.

Yeah man no pressure but our entire hope of 2014 rests on your mail ;)

Bayside Titan
04-09-13, 09:43 PM
IMO it would show that Annasly has complete control over all aspects of the club including coaching.

shamus
04-09-13, 10:38 PM

Yeah man no pressure but our entire hope of 2014 rests on your mail ;)

The other rumour is Raiders but geez Titus, I hope your man is right. :gossip:

Boofhead
07-09-13, 07:51 PM
Go tigers, just need to win by 67 points.

Boofhead
07-09-13, 08:02 PM
Sharks get done by ASADA will save us!

Titus
07-09-13, 08:33 PM
The other rumour is Raiders but geez Titus, I hope your man is right. :gossip:

Let's bloody hope so. I'm sick of thinking, "Oh well, maybe next year...."

DavidBouveng
07-09-13, 08:54 PM
Shot I'm not sure if I want tigers to win now... Would just run salt in the wound. We were a Sezer touch finding kick in the 87th minute from drawing that game and being one point ahead of cows...

amaline
07-09-13, 09:20 PM
Shot I'm not sure if I want tigers to win now... Would just run salt in the wound. We were a Sezer touch finding kick in the 87th minute from drawing that game and being one point ahead of cows...

It is the Tigers, though. They won't give you a choice. Terrible.

Boofhead
07-09-13, 09:28 PM
There you go... Cowboys pumped the Tigers and no doubt the Eels will lose to the knights.

Would of been for nothing...

Best of the worst.

shamus
07-09-13, 11:21 PM
Nope......:D

CoastSportsFan
07-09-13, 11:32 PM
Pretty flat about the result but I knew we weren't going to play finals this year. The Knights will win tomorrow and I would be more disappointed about that costing us finals than I am today. I guess the question now becomes - will we make finals in 2014? I don't even think I have an answer for that question right now.

Boofhead
09-09-13, 10:05 AM
Titans rue lost chances
Travis Meyn | September 9 2013, 12:01am

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2013/09/09/titans-over-scroller.jpg
Greg Bird looks dejected after Cooper Cronk of the Storm kicked the winning field goal in extra time. Pic: Getty

TITANS coach John Cartwright was last night lamenting a season of missed opportunities, admitting the Gold Coast's inconsistency ultimately cost them a drought-breaking finals berth.

The Titans' season ended in a blur of emotion and controversy on Saturday night in Melbourne as a thumping Cooper Cronk field goal sent them crashing out of the play-offs race.

And while Cartwright was adamant a video refereeing blunder cost them what would have been a memorable victory, he refused to make excuses for a third straight bottom-eight finish.

''I could sit here and say all day that I felt we should be playing semi-final football but the fact is we're not,'' he said. ''That hurts more than anything.

''Just because you're looking at reasons why doesn't mean you're making any excuses. We've got no excuses.''

The Titans surprised many with their start to 2013 as the rookie halves pairing of Aidan Sezer and Albert Kelly fired to lead them to seven wins in the opening 12 rounds.

That early-season form unravelled in emphatic fashion, beginning with a 46-16 thumping by Newcastle that kickstarted a four-match losing streak.

They dug themselves out of the rut with a memorable away win over the Bulldogs before beating minor premiers Sydney and challenging Melbourne in an 88-minute thriller.

But it was losing games they shouldn't have that ultimately cost the Titans after they dropped both games of the season to Newcastle, New Zealand and Brisbane.

''We lost two games to Newcastle, Broncos and Warriors. If we win one or two of those games then we play finals football,'' Cartwright said.

''That's what I've learned from the season.

''There's always tough games and you're hopeful you can win 50 per cent of those and the games you should win, you just have to win.''

Long-term injuries to Jamal Idris, William Zillman, Luke Bailey, Mark Minichiello, Ashley Harrison and David Mead crushed their depth, with the club using 30 players throughout the year.

In comparison, premiership favourites Sydney (24 players) and South Sydney (27) and Melbourne (28) used far less.

''You need 30 who can handle playing NRL,'' Cartwright said.

''Against Melbourne we had a team consisting of Steve Michaels, Jordan Atkins, Anthony Don, Jamie Dowling and Mark Ioane who have been playing for Burleigh most of the year.

''They went out and got the better of Melbourne, who could win the grand final.

''In Newcastle we lost Idris and Zillman. It was the middle of the Origin period and you never get much out of them (Origin players) around then.

''If we kept the guys around and our Origin players on the paddock it would have been a far different end to our season.''

The Titans will enjoy Mad Monday celebrations today but in the back of their minds they will wonder what could have been.

Most of the squad is staying at the club next year, with the retiring Luke O'Dwyer the only notable omission.

Sezer and Kelly emerged as a genuine NRL-quality combination this year while Beau Falloon emerged as a tenacious hooker who is challenging Matt Srama as the club's first-choice rake.

With Zillman hitting career-best form before his groin injury, Cartwright said the future was bright with his young ''spine''.

''A Cooper Cronk or Brett Stewart have played more than our four (playmakers) put together,'' he said.

''Our improvement is going to come from there. We're going to work a lot harder in the off-season on combinations.

''If we can get Falloon, Zillman, Mead, Srama, Kelly, Sezer, training together for a full off-season ... that's the key for us.

''We need our halves, hooker and fullback dominating games.

''It comes with experience. Kelly and Sezer haven't played 100 games between them. Cooper Cronk's played over 200.

''There's no science. That's what it comes down to. Those guys are good enough because they've played more games.''

Srama (shoulder) and Zillman (groin) will be assessed in the coming weeks, with the duo possibly needing off-season surgery.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2013/09/09/457747_gold-coast-titans.html

Titanic
09-09-13, 01:49 PM
cry me a river
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/files/2013/03/babies-cot_1835818c.jpg

Geeman
09-09-13, 04:30 PM
"Zillman hitting career best form" :surprise:

Hail Sezer
09-09-13, 04:32 PM
"Zillman hitting career best form" :surprise:

Stopped reading at that point

teke
09-09-13, 05:10 PM
I laughed at him saying if we can get both our fbs and both are hookers training together for the full off season.

No closer to a settled spine that when it was 2011

Mexican titan
09-09-13, 06:01 PM
Not a bad summary from carty about the season, particularly the no excuses bit, but he is kidding if he thinks Melbourne were at full tilt against us. Like Manly yesterday they were holding back to make sure there were no injuries before the finals. A great effort by the team we put out but let's not kid ourselves.
Overall an unsatisfactory year but we have all been over that and the reasons why.

DavidBouveng
09-09-13, 11:39 PM
Yeah there is actually more accountability and awareness than you normally get from a Cartwright story, but still some BS too.

Has anyone thought that while we were 2 points out of 8th, we were also 2 points out of 13th... Oh oh. We don't jag a late try against roosters and we are an embarrassing mess sitting in 4th last.

Toads
10-09-13, 09:21 AM
If I'm correct by taking a bits out of Cartwright's comments lately. His defense for our under performing this year is because there might not enough funding coming through the Coaching Department.

Just on the weekend he made a comment that he isn't a rich man, (not completely sure what he meant there, because he nipped it in the bud, just as quickly as he put it out there). And another incident a few weeks back when the media was putting some mild heat on him when he was meant to have a meeting with Darryl Kelly, and Cartwright was basically saying they need more finances for more personal etc..

That maybe the case. But when we did have most of the personal and facilities (CoE). What the hell happened, our team was still weren't producing the results that should be expected.

Might be time to stop looking for excuses and look within, John.

TITAN PETE
10-09-13, 12:28 PM
If I'm correct by taking a bits out of Cartwright's comments lately. His defense for our under performing this year is because there might not enough funding coming through the Coaching Department.

Just on the weekend he made a comment that he isn't a rich man, (not completely sure what he meant there, because he nipped it in the bud, just as quickly as he put it out there). And another incident a few weeks back when the media was putting some mild heat on him when he was meant to have a meeting with Darryl Kelly, and Cartwright was basically saying they need more finances for more personal etc..

That maybe the case. But when we did have most of the personal and facilities (CoE). What the hell happened, our team was still weren't producing the results that should be expected.

Might be time to stop looking for excuses and look within, John.

You may be right mate & i hope our coaching staff next season looks like this

Joint Head Coaches; John Cartwright & ? Henry/Green/Walters
Assistant Coach; "see above"

Conditioner,Defensive Coach,Backs Coach,Trainers : Position Vacant

Under 20's Coach - Scott Mahon