PDA

View Full Version : Little Lam talk may lure Mead

DIEHARD
10-05-13, 02:35 AM
Little Lam talk may lure Mead

Titans David Mead says his decision of whether to aim for Origin or the chance to represent his homeland in the World Cup is not set in stone

TITANS flyer David Mead faces a battle between the heart and the head as he contemplates turning his back on his dream of playing Origin football to again don the Kumuls strip at a World Cup.

Fed up with the infighting and disorganisation that has dogged Papua New Guinean football for so long, Mead declared two years ago he would abandon the Kumuls in a bid to play State of Origin football for the Maroons.

But the 24-year-old has conceded the love for his homeland and the installation of mentor Adrian Lam as PNG coach could lure him back to play in this year's World Cup.

Lam has been a constant presence in Mead's career and his counselling is likely to guide Mead's decision.

Lam's presence, the apparent stability of the PNG Rugby League and the addition of Mal Meninga as high performance director are likely to tug at Mead's heartstrings.

"We've got that World Cup at the end of the year and a lot of players are excited about going back and playing for their native countries," Mead said. "If Lammy rings me up I'll have a chat to him and see where I'm at at this stage.

"If any opportunity comes up, I'll have to sit down with family, friends and my club and have a chat to them about it."

Mead spent the first 12 years of his life in PNG before moving to Lismore, finishing his schooling at Kadina High School and Trinity Catholic College while playing rugby league for Lismore Marist Brothers.

While his first senior footy was in Queensland -- for the Titans in the NYC under-20s -- a change to rules last year mean he is likely to be ruled a Blue if he decides to declare himself eligible for Australia.

"I'm not 100 per cent sure on the eligibility ... but once it's clear to me, we'll go from there," said Mead, whose dream had been to turn out for Queensland like mentor Lam, who captained the Maroons.

Mead trusts Lam's opinion. But having spoken to his mentor about the thrill of playing Origin as well as representing his country, his decision is not yet set in concrete.

"He's helped me since I was 18 or 19," Mead said of the Kumuls coach.

"He's definitely someone who's looked after me and helped me develop my skills in a short period.

"He's someone whose opinion I highly trust and if he approaches me I'll have a chat to him then.

Mead makes his return from a broken jaw on Sunday when the Titans face the Dragons at Skilled Park. Teammate Ashley Harrison trained yesterday and could be a late starter despite not being named because of an ankle injury.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2013/05/10/451672_gold-coast-titans.html

DIEHARD
10-05-13, 02:40 AM
I think he will be a Kumul at the World Cup.

Smakked
10-05-13, 06:55 AM
I don think he is an origin player, as good as he is he just doesnt seem to have the aggression needed in origin

teke
10-05-13, 07:29 AM
I don think he is an origin player, as good as he is he just doesnt seem to have the aggression needed in origini didn't know u needed aggression playing origin.

If McManus, wolf man, steve turncoat and co can get a chance then he has no problem in that department.

NSW have already started asking questions to titans management.

Julius Sezer
10-05-13, 07:36 AM
I dont think Mead would be able to break NSW's backline with the likes of the Morris brothers, Uate, Hayne, Merritt and possibly even Michael Gordon all shoe ins for those positions.

DavidBouveng
10-05-13, 07:55 AM
I dont think Mead would be able to break NSW's backline with the likes of the Morris brothers, Uate, Hayne, Merritt and possibly even Michael Gordon all shoe ins for those positions.

Possibly a shoe in? That's an odd description.

I think hayne and josh Morris are certainties, as well as Brett Morris if he's fit, and Gordon and meritt are fighting for a spot.

Uates' defensive problems are still clearly remembered by NSW.

I think before Mead got injured he was ahead of Gordon the pecking order.

teke
10-05-13, 10:10 AM
Personally I don't think he's been playing good enough to break in to the NSW team atm but he has a long career ahead of him. Morris took ages to get in and Merritt still hasn't.

He was chomping at the bits to mark up on Brett Morris this weekend.

Time is on his side, plenty of time for me to get him into a maroon jumper :eyebrows:

shamus
10-05-13, 11:06 AM
Personally I don't think he's been playing good enough to break in to the NSW team atm but he has a long career ahead of him. Morris took ages to get in and Merritt still hasn't.

He was chomping at the bits to mark up on Brett Morris this weekend.

Time is on his side, plenty of time for me to get him into a blues jumper :eyebrows:

Spot on Teke.. :thumbsup:

Chaos
10-05-13, 12:56 PM
I don't doubt Meads ability to play at Origin level but it shouldn't be the main factor on his decision.

I get the feelling that the international scene is growing and it's these decisions from players like Mead that will progress the international scene forward.

I hope he becomes a Kumul...12 years is your childhood and will allow him to play the world cup with passion...he will be a hero back home.

DavidBouveng
10-05-13, 03:28 PM
I don't doubt Meads ability to play at Origin level but it shouldn't be the main factor on his decision.

I get the feelling that the international scene is growing and it's these decisions from players like Mead that will progress the international scene forward.

I hope he becomes a Kumul...12 years is your childhood and will allow him to play the world cup with passion...he will be a hero back home.

Becomes a Kumul? He played the last world cup for them

Chaos
10-05-13, 05:08 PM
Becomes a Kumul? He played the last world cup for them

Yeah thats right, Stays a Kumul...I suppose he always was.
As much as I like Origin, I sh!ts me to see players choose a State over there home country.

Geeman
10-05-13, 06:44 PM
Little Lam talk may lure Mead
TITANS flyer David Mead faces a battle between the heart and the head as he contemplates turning his back on his dream of playing Origin football to again don the Kumuls strip at a World Cup.

Fed up with the infighting and disorganisation that has dogged Papua New Guinean football for so long, Mead declared two years ago he would abandon the Kumuls in a bid to play State of Origin football for the Maroons.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2013/05/10/451672_gold-coast-titans.html

NSW have already started asking questions to titans management.

Is this a typo?
Is he NSW or Queensland, I'm confused?

teke
11-05-13, 06:30 PM
He got no chance of playing for qld.

I saw the eligibility form with questions he had to answer, a sad day in my life knowing he can't have the chance to prove himself as a real man in Maroon.

DavidBouveng
11-05-13, 07:54 PM
He got no chance of playing for qld.

I saw the eligibility form with questions he had to answer, a sad day in my life knowing he can't have the chance to prove himself as a real man in Maroon.

Thats funny that the form has questions that rule him out, NSW are of the opinion that the form says this:

QLD State Of Origin Eligibility Criteria

1. Would you like to play for QLD in State Of Origin YES / NO (please circle one)

END OF FORM