PDA

View Full Version : Titans and Tomkins

TITAN PETE
09-05-13, 06:02 AM
Peter Badel | 12:01am May 9, 2013

Wigans' Sam Tonkins could play for the Titans if the club could afford him. Pic: AP
THE Titans have entered the race for the man regarded as the British version of Billy Slater, Wigan attacking wizard Sam Tomkins.

Gold Coast officials contacted Tomkins' manager Andy Clarke a fortnight ago and the parties have since held further talks.

But the England international's $1 million price tag may prove a stumbling block. If money is the deciding factor, NRL rivals the Warriors are likely to trump the Titans.

Former Wigan star Dean Bell, now Warriors football operations chief, flew to England recently to meet the fullback.

The Gold Coast have underspent on this year's salary cap by about $350,000, leaving them an estimated $1 million to spend with the increase in the NRL cap from $5.8 million to $6.3 million for 2014.

While they boast a star-studded pack, the Titans are scouring the market for a marquee back with strikepower as part of their mission statement to win a title by 2015.

Tomkins, 24, who can play fullback or five-eighth, appears ideal.

The Wigan flyer is ranked England's No.1 player, winning the Man of Steel last year. That's Super League's equivalent of the NRL's Dally M Award.

Tomkins is keen to test himself in the NRL but with another three years on his Wigan deal, the English league powerhouse has slapped a $250,000 transfer fee on Tomkins.

His management hopes to secure an NRL contract of $750,000 a season, completing a $1 million package that would place him in the same earnings stratosphere as Johnathan Thurston and Greg Inglis.

The English ace is a try-scoring machine, having crossed 128 times in 137 games for Wigan. Already this season, he has 14 tries in 10 games.

At 180cm and 83kg, Tomkins is similar in build and playing style to Storm, Queensland and Australian custodian Slater.

Former England star Mike Stephenson, who played 169 games for Penrith between 1974-78 and now commentates on the Super League, says Tomkins would flourish in the NRL. "Sam has certainly taken the Super League by storm," he said.

Tamwelg
09-05-13, 06:27 AM
Yes please. He'd answer a lot of our lack of attack IMO. He is currently this seasons super league top try scorer with 18 and is 6th for try assists with 13. Anyone who has watched him play lately will know why the Billy Slater comparisons.

TITAN FAN
09-05-13, 06:38 AM
I agree with Tamwelg

He would add a lot of depth in attack

Hail Sezer
09-05-13, 06:42 AM
Glad the club is pursuing such an attacking weapon.

This guy is fast, agile and has incredible balance. Runs like he's on rails. He's got good ball playing ability in him too, stacks up the try assists. Have watched all his games this year and he's clearly the best player on the field every game

amaline
09-05-13, 07:03 AM
The Mole (@RLW_Mole) tweeted at 2:02 PM on Wed, May 08, 2013:
Also In The Mole in @LeagueWeek today - Titans CEO David May spotted in @WiganWarriorsRL sheds last weekend... #hmmmm
(https://twitter.com/RLW_Mole/status/331982370209140737)

lonegull
09-05-13, 07:11 AM
Yes please. He'd answer a lot of our lack of attack IMO. He is currently this seasons super league top try scorer with 18 and is 6th for try assists with 13. Anyone who has watched him play lately will know why the Billy Slater comparisons.

Agree, he is the player the titans are lacking, he is carving them in the super league he has the ability to create things out of nothing and always seems to bop up at thr right times, this if it does happen would be not only one of the biggest signings for the titans but for the NRL. :thumbsup:

Hail Sezer
09-05-13, 07:19 AM
For anyone who hasn't seen him play, here is a little clip of what he can do

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sRLRp2AKq4w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Coaster
09-05-13, 07:21 AM
Just guessing but I would say that's where this article originated. As I don't trust anything this muppet Badel says

titanfan1980
09-05-13, 08:07 AM
David is doing a fantastic job, if we signed Sam Tomkins... Well geez the only way to describe my delight would be to streak down robina town centre yelling out we're streaking! Up to the quad and into the gymnasium!

TITAN PETE
09-05-13, 08:15 AM
Rumours of the Warriors throwing big cash at Carney :surprise: , don't think they would get both ;)

Coaster
09-05-13, 08:53 AM
Could you imagine the press we would get with a player like this, wow.

Rugby League is in the business of entertainment, crowds, fans, kids ect all want to see this. Get him out here asap.

Rage
09-05-13, 09:08 AM
Imagine if we get him but he gets played out of position...

Haha surely that wouldn't happen. Really hope we get him!

Titanic
09-05-13, 09:22 AM
I'm with Rage ... Tomkins needs to be coached as well and that's unlikely with us.

karnage
09-05-13, 10:06 AM
Tomkins would be great in the NRL. No risk. With our young halves and solid hooker rotation he could form 1/4 of what would be a premiership calibre spine.

If we did sign him it would make the sacking of Cartwright all the more urgent as his 2007 game management would not allow him, or the rest of the spine, to show their best.

I will not get excited about the prospect of signing anybody until Cartwright is gone, as regardless of how good they look elsewhere they will not get the coaching and structure to look as good here.

thelwall
09-05-13, 10:42 AM
please maybe we could give them michaels in some kinda player + cash deal hehe

Bayside Titan
09-05-13, 10:52 AM
please maybe we could give them michaels in some kinda player + cash deal hehe
Throw Chalky and carty into the Deal as well... ;-)

Surfers66
09-05-13, 11:29 AM
I like Rankin as a good back up but he may be a player they would actually take.
Send him there for 2 or 3 and then back with us..........

On another note-

Who would you prefer in the fullback Jersey? -

Tomkins VS Kurtly Beale

TITAN PETE
09-05-13, 11:51 AM
I like Rankin as a good back up but he may be a player they would actually take.
Send him there for 2 or 3 and then back with us..........

On another note-

Who would you prefer in the fullback Jersey? -

Tomkins VS Kurtly Beale

Only one of those 2 players play League so it's a no contest

Surfers66
09-05-13, 12:04 PM
Only one of those 2 players play League so it's a no contest

Matt Rogers use to play Union too.

Beales played League.

DIEHARD
09-05-13, 12:24 PM
Getting Tomkins would be a dream come true. In Rugby League terms, promotionalal terms and because Im an internationalist too.

Hopefully we can bargain him down a bit.

TITAN PETE
09-05-13, 12:59 PM
Matt Rogers use to play Union too.

Beales played League.

If he played League it was before the age of 14 :rolleyes:

I think he's a great RU player but if he came here he would be playing for Burleigh to start with.

Folau u could make an argument.

There are many guys that have played League & Union but most were great League players 1st , can't think of too many that came from Union to League apart from Garick Morgan :laugh:

Tomkins has the option to play for the Lions & he'll walk straight into the national side but he will stick with League :thumbsup:

TITAN PETE
09-05-13, 01:01 PM
Getting Tomkins would be a dream come true. In Rugby League terms, promotionalal terms and because Im an internationalist too.

Hopefully we can bargain him down a bit.

If he comes i think the Poms will have a much better test side in the future with so many of their countrymen coming over to play in the Worlds Toughest Competition

Surfers66
09-05-13, 01:19 PM
If he played League it was before the age of 14 :rolleyes:

I think he's a great RU player but if he came here he would be playing for Burleigh to start with.

Folau u could make an argument.

There are many guys that have played League & Union but most were great League players 1st , can't think of too many that came from Union to League apart from Garick Morgan :laugh:

Tomkins has the option to play for the Lions & he'll walk straight into the national side but he will stick with League :thumbsup:

good points......probably cant think of any others either.

Mathew Ridge maybe.

Bayside Titan
09-05-13, 01:26 PM
good points......probably cant think of any others either.

Mathew Ridge maybe.
Michael O'Conner.......Andrew Leads........Brad Thorn.......Scott Goulay.......And a few " Old School " Parramatta Players.....

Bayside Titan
09-05-13, 01:26 PM
could we swap Tompkins for Zilly.....

teke
09-05-13, 01:30 PM
:laugh: there have been heaps that came from union to league and been successful, Ricky Stuart, Michael oconnor, matt ridge, Jonathan Davies, Scott gourlay, ray price, David mead etc etc etc.

The trend was and still is - players moved to where the money was, when league was paying more the movement was from union to league and vice verser.

Beale or Tompkins would be fine with me:D

Maybe we could swap mead for Tompkins cause I ain't watching another yr of him stuck idle on the wing

karnage
09-05-13, 01:45 PM
No to Beale. Soft. And a drunk.

beeps
09-05-13, 02:59 PM
I'd love to see him come here
the press compare him to slater

yes he is an amazing attacker but can he defend nearly as well as slater?
the only footage I can find of him is his attacking plays, can anyone comment on this part of his game

Titanic
09-05-13, 03:15 PM
David Mead :-)

gotitans101_
09-05-13, 04:18 PM
I'm all for this but $1M for a bloke who hasn't been tested at NRL level? Nope.

Bayside Titan
09-05-13, 04:23 PM
Agree....maybe $6-$650k....

gotitans101_
09-05-13, 04:34 PM
Oh and another thing. Why are we looking to sign fullbacks when the likelihood of Zilly getting dropped during his contract appears to be 0?

titanfan1980
09-05-13, 04:46 PM

Your right.. The money aside.. Top English stars not tested in the nrl why on earth would we want them?? I mean Sam burgess and Gareth Ellis are perfect examples of why we shouldn't by top English players because they are untested in the nrl :|

Surfers66
09-05-13, 04:50 PM
Oh and another thing. Why are we looking to sign fullbacks when the likelihood of Zilly getting dropped during his contract appears to be 0?

But what happens if Zilly gets abducted and we donts see him for 10 years????

Julius Sezer
09-05-13, 04:59 PM
If Tomkins comes to the Coast then i wouldn't mind Zilly having a go in the centres.

Btw anyone feel sorry for poor old Matty Russell if we do sign Tomkins? He came to the Coast because he was behind Tomkins and now... LOL

Hail Sezer
09-05-13, 05:03 PM
Your right.. The money aside.. Top English stars not tested in the nrl why on earth would we want them?? I mean Sam burgess and Gareth Ellis are perfect examples of why we shouldn't by top English players because they are untested in the nrl :|

Jesus I had to dig deep to note the sarcasm in this post.

Well played.

Smakked
09-05-13, 05:31 PM
Awesome he would look good playing center for us or maybe even prop.......

Steve
09-05-13, 08:20 PM
I reckon he wouldn't be quite the try scoring machine in the NRL, but he'd still be up there. Would love to see him have a crack on the coast.

psmitty
17-05-13, 08:15 AM
If we did sign Tomkins where would we put him? Does he go to the halves and Kelly miss out or does he go to fullback and we offload Zillman or put him on the wing or centre? What are your thoughts?

TITAN PETE
17-05-13, 08:45 AM
WARRIORS FIRM AS FAVOURITES FOR TOMKINS
SMH.COM.AU ? MAY 17, 2013

The New Zealand Warriors are now firm favourites to snare Sam Tomkins after Gold Coast Titans boss David May ruled out a move by the club to sign the England superstar.

The Warriors were extremely close to signing Cronulla Sharks five-eighth Todd Carney, who has a good relationship with coach Matthew Elliott, and his decision to join the Sharks ensures the Auckland club still has plenty of money to throw at Tomkins.

Gold Coast had been linked to Tomkins but May told Sin Bin they weren?t pursuing him.

Read more: http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/warriors-firm-as-favourites-for-tomkins-9600/#ixzz2TUtCwhKv

Smakked
17-05-13, 09:29 AM
SO with a Million in our war chess how about a new coach ?

DavidBouveng
17-05-13, 10:44 AM
That hurts, I was sort of pinning some good on him being one of the final pieces of the puzzle.

Pete, your often in the know, was it dollars or other factors that led to us pulling out?

Sydney Titans Fanatic
17-05-13, 10:49 AM
SO with a Million in our war chess how about a new coach ?

Coaches dont come into the salary cap:)

TITAN PETE
17-05-13, 10:57 AM
That hurts, I was sort of pinning some good on him being one of the final pieces of the puzzle.

Pete, your often in the know, was it dollars or other factors that led to us pulling out?

Wasn't a dollar factor , word is some don't think he's up to the NRL level , i'm sure they'll be proven wrong very quickly :rolleyes:

DavidBouveng
17-05-13, 11:11 AM
Wonder if it's someone protecting their 5 year investments?

Such a shame as we may have pushed harder for Dugan or folau if we knew this was going to be kyboshed right at the end.

Hail Sezer
17-05-13, 11:26 AM
Wasn't a dollar factor , word is some don't think he's up to the NRL level , i'm sure they'll be proven wrong very quickly :rolleyes:

I hope a lesson is learnt from this.

Wonder if it's someone protecting their 5 year investments?

Such a shame as we may have pushed harder for Dugan or folau if we knew this was going to be kyboshed right at the end.

Yep. Frustrating to say the least.

Chaos
17-05-13, 12:54 PM
Coaches dont come into the salary cap:)

Smakked's question is still valid...a new coach will change the side more then one player could.
For startes we might gain a whole attacking backline with the current players we have.
Relying on one player to make this change is a bit much.

Money should be spent wisely, regardless of salary cap.

teke
17-05-13, 01:24 PM
Million bux wouldn't do anything, we'd have to pay out current coach and then beg a FOGs coach to coach for free

teke
17-05-13, 04:15 PM
Wasn't a dollar factor , word is some don't think he's up to the NRL level , i'm sure they'll be proven wrong very quickly :rolleyes:surely this wasn't said !!!

I'll bet u it was Gilly

teke
17-05-13, 05:03 PM
If warriors get Sam I we should get ole drunk boy Locke and turn that kid around

Tamwelg
17-05-13, 05:09 PM
Tomkins will be a star in the NRL, this will come back to bite us. He is exactly the type player the Titans need.

Julius Sezer
17-05-13, 05:21 PM
Tomkins played very well against a classy Australian team in the 4 Nations tournament. So i think from that he would go very well in the NRL.

Mexican titan
17-05-13, 06:09 PM

I assume by "word is some don't think he is up to NRL level" that means someone in the Titans management. If so why did David go to the UK and is there someone else on the radar.
If not get Benji Marshall I say.

Smakked
17-05-13, 07:46 PM
Tomkins is an awesome player and i think would do well, but the way our side plays and is coached it would be wasted at this point in time.

DIEHARD
17-05-13, 09:12 PM
Just sign him.

Mexican titan
18-05-13, 02:06 PM
I assume by "word is some don't think he is up to NRL level" that means someone in the Titans management. If so why did David go to the UK and is there someone else on the radar.
If not get Benji Marshall I say.

Seems like the answer was bured in the back pages of todays Bulletin. Refer the Meers column.

DIEHARD
19-05-13, 12:09 AM
Yea Preston Campbell wasn't cut out for NRL either...

We are talking about a player who could mix it with the KANGAROOS and who is widely regarded across the board in the UK and Australia and NZ.

Is this the same organisation that signed Brian Carney and Richie Mathers for 2007?!

DIEHARD
19-05-13, 12:13 AM
At 180cm and 83kg, Tomkins is similar in build and playing style to Storm, Queensland and Australian custodian Slater.

Nick
19-05-13, 12:14 AM
Kinda wish we did pursue Dugan.. first game back and runs for 200m+ and scores 2 tries..

Hail Sezer
19-05-13, 08:57 AM
Kinda wish we did pursue Dugan.. first game back and runs for 200m+ and scores 2 tries..

Broke the line with his first touch of the ball too

Toads
19-05-13, 09:55 AM
You wouldn't want a player in your team like where Dugan's head was at, while he was with the Raiders. If you did, you only be asking for trouble. And I highly doubt he's sorted himself out yet, it's way too soon 'n only time will prove where he's at with it.

Anyway, one man alone can't save our hide at the moment (even if they did have their own **** together)..

Titanic
19-05-13, 11:04 AM
I think we are too judgmental on players personalities some time considering they are only contracted to play. Having said that, I don't mean we should ignore character or team dynamics but priorities should be adhered too.

We have been the "nice" Titans, the "innovative" Titans, the "losers", the "broke", even the reincarnated Titans and on Friday the "WTF" Titans, how about just being the normal rugby league club Titans?

Coaster
19-05-13, 11:18 AM
http://www.nrlnews.com/2013/05/19/wane-praises-tomkins-yet-again-as-wigan-demolish-the-london-broncos/

Tomkins killing it

Hail Sezer
19-05-13, 11:21 AM
http://www.nrlnews.com/2013/05/19/wane-praises-tomkins-yet-again-as-wigan-demolish-the-london-broncos/

Tomkins killing it

I believe thats 7 tries in 2 games for him

DIEHARD
19-05-13, 11:25 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QbHfCqiin3I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hail Sezer
19-05-13, 11:30 AM
Sick video aye DH.

Heres another

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sRLRp2AKq4w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DIEHARD
19-05-13, 11:33 AM
Sick video aye DH.

Heres another

He is such a pleasure to watch, pure Rugby League...

TITAN PETE
19-05-13, 12:07 PM
Awesome video Brad , this bloke kills lazy Defence

teke
19-05-13, 12:47 PM
The defence is those videos bordering on pathetic

DavidBouveng
19-05-13, 01:06 PM
They say he's billy slater of the uk, but his running and movement reminds me of Lockyer alot.

Just beautiful mover on his feet.

Hail Sezer
22-05-13, 09:07 PM
Should see his latest try...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6Pis4d8IMJM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

credit to DB for showing me the vid

Chaos
22-05-13, 09:56 PM
Tomkins highlights are impressive...very Slater like in his acceleration, agility and willingness to make the most of an opportunity.
He loves the flick pass.

Hail Sezer
22-05-13, 10:21 PM
Tomkins highlights are impressive...very Slater like in his acceleration, agility and willingness to make the most of an opportunity.
He loves the flick pass.

Yeah for sure. Has great balance when he runs too.

Would be great for our club :(

TITAN FAN
23-05-13, 02:11 PM
But Will he come !!!

ozynorts
23-05-13, 02:21 PM
Should see his latest try...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6Pis4d8IMJM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

credit to DB for showing me the vid

That is the way to return kicks.

thelwall
23-05-13, 06:28 PM
DAVID MAY - I WILL BUY A SEASON MEMBERSHIP NEXT SEASON IF YOU SIGN HIM.

TITAN FAN
24-05-13, 08:14 AM
How many other clubs are after him ?

Hail Sezer
24-05-13, 08:29 AM
How many other clubs are after him ?

Warriors

ozynorts
24-05-13, 09:23 AM
Warriors

He would be used to the weather if he went to the warriors....:)

Titanic
24-05-13, 09:25 AM
He would be used to the weather if he went to the warriors....:)
But not the beer.

patskE
24-05-13, 05:17 PM
man wow at that move he put on after he got on the outside of the first guy, looked like he was going to step back on the inside into that gap, but jinked without losing speed n went on the outside shoulder. would love to see him at the titans but jeez he will cost to much

Hail Sezer
13-06-13, 03:24 PM
Well this got awkward. Definitely worth watching...especially right at the end. Russell Crowe makes the cheekiest call ever.

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/rugby-league/8772944/russell-crowe-to-sign-tomkins

edit: for those of you who are too lazy to click it, i'll cliff the video:

-Russell Crowe and Sam Tomkins at movie premier
-They talk about souths, Macguires success etc.
-Russell Crowe provokes Tomkins to ask if souths need a "wirey english fullback"
-Crowe asks if he plays any other positions because G.I is there and there is no chance Tomkins would get a go there
-Tomkins says jokingly "he's not that good, better in the centres"
-Crowe makes a call saying jokingly that saying that isn't such a good idea
-Awkwardness ensues from the joke
-Crowe says "if you ever wanna have a conversation, you're a brilliant player"
-Crowe then adds "whatever you do, don't go to a team, in the NRL, that's not in australia"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/CWDPEZ/BIGBROTHER/ArticleStuff/tumblr_m7sdx3OjxI1qc4zy6.gif

Titanic
27-10-13, 03:33 AM
Which moron said that Tomkins is too small to play NRL? This guy will cause clubs all sorts of problems, how we didn't sign him is beyond me.

Noddy1979
27-10-13, 09:33 AM
Which moron said that Tomkins is too small to play NRL? This guy will cause clubs all sorts of problems, how we didn't sign him is beyond me.

Agreed, he reminds me of Brett Hodgson

TITAN PETE
27-10-13, 10:45 AM

That would be Mr Searle :?) , Tomkins is a better player than Slater

hammer
27-10-13, 03:04 PM
I predict (injuries aside) that he will be a revelation in the NRL!

DIEHARD
27-10-13, 04:08 PM
I dunno about being better than Slater, but he is certainly in the same league. NZ Warriors supporters are very lucky.

DIEHARD
13-11-13, 10:54 AM
I think Tomkins has been impressive so far in the World Cup, definitely something about him, he is electric.