PDA

View Full Version : NRL: Broncos; Young prop states case

Queenslander
13-02-06, 05:37 PM
Young prop states case
By Mick Daly
February 13, 2006

BEN Hannant has proved that Brisbane's life after Shane Webcke should not be feared with a stellar performance for the Broncos in Rockhampton on Saturday night.

The 21-year-old prop recruited from Sydney Roosters was the best forward on the field in his side's 36-4 trial thumping of a severely understrength North Queensland outfit.

The Palm Beach-Currumbin product was tireless during his 65 minutes and is certain to challenge for a bench position in Brisbane's NRL season opener against the Cowboys on March 12.

Broncos assistant coach Ivan Henjak, who led the team on Saturday, labelled Hannant's performance as "tremendous".

"I've got a big wrap on what he did," he said.

"He surprised me with his work ethic and effort, and just how keen he was.

"He cleaned up a lot of defensive stuff for us, carted the ball up really strong and often, and got quick play-the-balls. He was great."

Henjak said Hannant excelled at doing the "little things" for the Broncos, including regularly leading the side's kick-chase and diving on loose balls.

Hannant, who played lower grades in Brisbane in 2003 before joining the Roosters, recently scored a 13.5 in the club's beep (endurance) test, making him one of the NRL's fittest props.

"When I came here I wasn't in the best shape and struggled a bit," he said.

"I knew I had to get fitter to give myself a chance and that's what I've done."

Michael Ennis, signed from St George-Illawarra, tried hard to create options around the ruck for Brisbane, with mixed results.

He admitted that his effectiveness was handicapped by a lack of cohesion with his new teammates.

"You've got to try things for things to happen," he said.

Apart from Hannant, Brisbane's standouts were halfback Karmichael Hunt, fullback Darius Boyd, lock Neville Costigan and schoolboy prop David Taylor.

Giant Kiwi winger Tame Tupou spent time in the back row and produced several barnstorming runs.

Cowboys' Origin enforcer Carl Webb was quiet in his first match since being suspended for punching in round 26 last year.

The Courier-Mail