PDA

View Full Version : The Albert Kelly conundrum

Hail Sezer
19-04-13, 12:04 PM
Hey guys, found this on the Eels forum. Good read. All credit goes to "1Eyed Eel" on the Parra forum, and the OP can be found here (http://www.1eyedeel.com/forum/topics/the-albert-kelly-conundrum)

As far as wraps on junior halves go, Albert Kelly has been perhaps at the top of my list since I started paying attention to the juniors.
A lot of kids look good in juniors, but you sometimes just get those kids who do stuff that nobody else can. They literally take your breath away or make your jaw drop.
Of all the young halves that have come through our system, Albert Kelly was the one who could do that to you, with most regularity.

I remember being absolutely stunned when the club started pushing Daniel Mortimer ahead of Kelly. Mortimer did well at a junior level, but he never displayed the skill levels of Kelly. It is pretty much inconceivable to me, that Mortimer could even be considered on the same level as Kelly as prospect.

Of course, then we started to hear the reports of Kelly's attitude and behaviour. And it's been a consistent refrain ever since, regardless of what club he has shown up to, he's gotten himself into trouble.

However, he's now landed at the Titans and if you've seen any of Kelly's games this year, it's previous obviously that he is now finally taking all of that talent and bringing it to an NRL level. Including those moments where he can take your breath away like his most recent try against Brisbane.

It once again raises the conundrum of what to do with troubled footballers. How many chances do you give them? When is enough, enough? Nobody wants a player in their side that disrupts the team and coaching staff have to set certain standards that all players must adhere to.

The reality is though, that Rugby League is always going to have plenty in its midst who aren't the clean-cut, outstanding citizens the girl next door wants to take home to meet the parents. Many of the characteristics of a strong Rugby League player - toughness, aggression, risk-taking, the willingness to push boundaries - are the same characteristics that are likely to make a young person make bad decisions. Add the pressure of Rugby League, the money and the inevitable ego-stroking, and clearly this is a sport which will always have its bad boys.

And those bad boys can transform teams. The Sharks with Todd Carney are a top four side. The Sharks without Todd Carney are a bottom four side. A lot of team collapse in a heap when they lose their enforcer - the bloke who will never, ever take a step backwards.

Indeed, many would argue that part of Parramatta's problem has been we've had too many nice guys. That we've missed mongrel and that we could well have done with a couple of bad boys ourselves.

So we look back at Albert Kelly. Had the right senior player taken him under his wing, had he had the right motivation or guidance, had someone just been able to get inside of his head, would he have stayed with the club and been our long-term number seven. Without question, he could of, if it had come down to talent.

As it was, Kelly was never a chance at Parramatta where he was playing under head coach Daniel Anderson, who, like Brian Smith before him, had little time for players who didn't behave or apply themselves as expected. But perhaps, it wouldn't have mattered who was on hand to try and get Albert Kelly's head into the state of a footballer. Maybe, he had to go through all of the experiences he has, to come out the side a player with the mental toughness and discipline to be an NRL footballer.

Maybe, it's not the Titans have done anything particularly right to get Kelly to this level, maybe they've just been lucky enough to have taken a punt on him at the right time in his life.

However, I think having programs and strategies in place to deal with kids who may be troubled in some respects is an imperative for any football club. I'm not sure if just having a firm "no ********s" policy is going to result in you having the right balance of personalities and characteristics that you need in a successful football side.

I'll always watch Albert Kelly play with that little bit of additional interest, as he was one of the kids I picked out that I thought would become something special. It's still yet to be proven if he can sustain the run of form he has shown this season, and that he won't get himself into trouble again.

I hope he doesn't, because its footballers like Kelly that make our game such a special sport to watch.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HiF8Zo3S8f8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-UuJQwWqqpk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zU0Ne6MTZ-g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chaos
19-04-13, 12:27 PM
That was very well written...and I he's spot on about the "no ********s" policy.

Certain coaches don't know how to manage these types of players and will never win a grand final at the NRL level.

Wayne Bennett on the other hand, has been a very successful coach, even when his tactical 'game play' wasn't the greatest.
He has a good record of getting his players to play to their potential come game day.

Playing safe doesn't win Grand finals...fortune favours the brave!

Steve
19-04-13, 12:29 PM
He raises some good questions.

People change. I'm a very different person today to who I was when I was 18, and in a positive way. Not that I ever did anything these players get into trouble for.

The tough thing for the clubs is how do they help these guys without rewarding the behaviour. Ditched by one club for their bad behaviour, someone else is always willing to snap them up. There's no consequences for their actions, someone else is going to throw hundreds of thousands of dollars at them whatever they do.

That said, I'm a bit over the spin doctoring we see every time there's an incident. We get all these articles talking about how they're not a bad guy, they're a victim.

No, sorry. They're not. Making them out to be a victim makes them not responsible for their actions. Man up, say they were stupid or whatever, tackle responsibility and become a man, not a naughty boy hiding behind Mummy or the club.

Chaos
19-04-13, 12:54 PM
That said, I'm a bit over the spin doctoring we see every time there's an incident. We get all these articles talking about how they're not a bad guy, they're a victim.

No, sorry. They're not. Making them out to be a victim makes them not responsible for their actions. Man up, say they were stupid or whatever, tackle responsibility and become a man, not a naughty boy hiding behind Mummy or the club.

Most early media reports taint a players behavior as the bad guy...then others will come forward for another side of the story. Those reports are black and white...thats how they sell their product.
Most people read the media report and gain strong opinions about a players behavior without even meeting that person.

The players are neither saints or sinners...but at times make some bad choices. Having the right environment around them can help and inspire.

I feel a lot of fans share there opinions with a tint of jealousy...especially when they mention the amount of money these players are on.
Coaches and clubs want to please their fans and might make stupid policies like "no ********s"

DavidBouveng
19-04-13, 01:19 PM
Most early media reports taint a players behavior as the bad guy...then others will come forward for another side of the story. Those reports are black and white...thats how they sell their product.
Most people read the media report and gain strong opinions about a players behavior without even meeting that person.

The players are neither saints or sinners...but at times make some bad choices. Having the right environment around them can help and inspire.

I feel a lot of fans share there opinions with a tint of jealousy...especially when they mention the amount of money these players are on.
Coaches and clubs want to please their fans and might make stupid policies like "no ********s"

some clubs of course do it to please fans, but 'no ********' policies originated from clubs who wanted people who wouldnt detract from there ultimate goals of premerships and a team first philosophy.

Sydney Swans were first i think, (sorry to being the forum into disrepute by mentioning AFL teamss) and even guys who were good citizens and had no particular off field problems, but werent committed enough or train hard enough or just didnt buy into the team first ideas, didnt survive or werent recruited in the first place.

It was about building a great culture where team success came above all else.

Melbourne storm have cornered the market to it to an extent in the NRL, but a few clubs have similar ideals.

Julius Sezer
19-04-13, 02:46 PM
If Albie was at Parra then imagine him in the halves with Chris Sandow. It would've been a really exciting combo.

Titanic
19-04-13, 02:52 PM
Ha, it's funny how we even spin it to ourselves ... not that long ago a "********" of the type mentioned in the article and referred to by my respected forum colleagues was called a larrikin.

I certainly don't condone poor behaviour or ill-discipline nor do I disagree with the sentiments in the article but I suspect that football without "********s" would be very much akin to taking a shower in a raincoat.