PDA

View Full Version : Paul Gallen strips off for charity

TITAN PETE
11-04-13, 03:03 PM
By Steve Jancetic
AAP
Thu 11th April, 12:23pm

There hasn't been much to laugh about for the embattled Cronulla NRL club this year, but the sight of skipper Paul Gallen stripping off for charity helped lighten the mood.

Gallen honoured a bet on Wednesday when he strolled down the streets of Cronulla wearing nothing but a pair of skimpy undies, the stunt earning the Men of League charity foundation $10,000 courtesy of a bookmaker.

What started out as a joke between Gallen and Parramatta coach Ricky Stuart - turned into a bit of public embarrassment for a good cause after Cronulla lost to the Eels last Saturday night.

Certainly Gallen's teammates took plenty of joy from the stunt, Ben Pomeroy ensuring his skipper's buttocks were exposed during his 80 metre walk while a car-load of teammates with Chris Heighington at the wheel and Todd Carney in the passenger seat heckled from the road.

"If you didn't play so s..t I wouldn't have to do this," Gallen offered in return.

But days like this have been few and far between for the Sharks in 2013, amid the drugs probe which has cost four football staff members their jobs and has as many as 14 current players facing interviews with the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority clearly taking its toll.

Players have spent as much time in briefings with lawyers as they have in tactical discussions with coach Shane Flanagan in recent weeks, the saga obviously affecting the players in recent upset losses to St George Illawarra and Parramatta.

Gallen did his best to play down the effect the drug probe was having on the players.

"Personally the first couple of weeks were hard but I've had my head on the past couple of weeks," Gallen said.

"I suppose it's hard for a lot of people not just the players but the whole club.

"At the end of the day we're footy players and we have to get out there and do our job. We're not using anything as an excuse."

Of the all-but nude walk, Gallen said: "It started out as a bit of fun at the start.

"But that's a huge amount of money. It can do a lot of good for people in need so when that was offered and he told me what I'd really have to wear, I said 'no drama at all".

TITAN PETE
11-04-13, 03:04 PM
Well done Gal i wouldn't expect too many people would give him much lip.

Rage
11-04-13, 05:58 PM
"If you didn't play so s..t I wouldn't have to do this," Gallen offered in return.

Hahahaha gotta love him

C-Whiz
11-04-13, 06:07 PM

Hahahaha gotta love himhaha, yep, I was just about to quote that myself. Classic line. :salute:

Julius Sezer
11-04-13, 06:37 PM
legend. Did it for a good cause

DIEHARD
11-04-13, 06:40 PM
Haha that is hilarious. And for the Men of League too!