PDA

View Full Version : Titans' recruit Dave Taylor stood down for breaching team rules

DIEHARD
10-04-13, 10:15 AM
Gold Coast Titans' recruit Dave Taylor stood down for breaching team rules

DAVE Taylor must earn back the trust of Gold Coast coach John Cartwright after his poor attitude and brazen disobedience forced the club to stand him down for two weeks.

It is understood Cartwright questioned the attitude of Taylor on more than one occasion already this season and another incident of insubordination last weekend was the final straw for club officials.

The high-priced South Sydney recruit has struggled to fit into the Titans' program in his first year on the Coast.

Taylor will have three games in which to impress Queensland selectors who sacked him on the basis of form for the deciding game last year.

He is understood to have voiced frustration regarding the game plan following the loss to the Broncos on Friday.

On several occasions in the game, Taylor was visibly annoyed at not receiving the ball on the left edge where he was targeting Scott Prince.
The Titans refused to detail the reasons for Taylor's axing, but it is understood a string of minor code of conduct breaches forced them to act.

Cartwright said alcohol was not behind Taylor's demotion.

"He broke some team protocols," Cartwright said.

"You've got a code you govern your team by and he broke a few of those rules.

"We were left with no choice really. It's extremely disappointing. He's let the club and his teammates down."

It is the first time Taylor, 24, has been stood down for disciplinary reasons, although his attitude to training and diet has been questioned throughout his eight-year career which began at the Broncos in 2006.

Rabbitohs coach Michael Maguire was also unhappy with Taylor's attitude to training on more than one occasion last season.

Broncos captain Sam Thaiday said his former teammate risked falling off the State of Origin radar unless he improved his off-field attitude.

Taylor was axed from the Origin decider last year, partly due to personal problems, and Thaiday hoped his Titans demotion acted as a wake-up call.

"I thought he was kind of out of that Sydney lifestyle that he was in," Thaiday said.

"I thought he was very settled with his family on the Gold Coast so I hope it's only a one-off and he learns his lesson very quickly.

"Hopefully he can get back to playing some good footy because he is a fantastic player but sometimes he does some silly things.

"He's a big part of that Origin squad. If he doesn't get his act right he will miss a great opportunity there.

"No one wants to miss out on those teams.

"He's a freakish player. For someone of his weight and size to have his skill is ridiculous. "

In the pre-season, Taylor had spoken glowingly of life on the tourist strip and had shed several kilograms.

"I heard he was in a good mind-frame going to the Gold Coast," Thaiday said.

"We've got a lot of players waiting in the wings and are willing to do a job for Queensland, so he has to be very careful there."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/

Toads
10-04-13, 10:35 AM
Good to see Thaiday tell it like it is. DT gotta realise the gift that he has, and make the most of it. At 24, it's hard to see it that way. But as he grows older, it will most likely become more evident to him.

Many others would surrender their left one to secure the opportunity that he has..

karnage
10-04-13, 11:23 AM
"He is understood to have voiced frustration regarding the game plan following the loss to the Broncos on Friday."

:laugh: :laugh:

I can't possibly believe that any outside back or edge player was disappointed by having a halves set up that meant they couldn't get the ball.

DavidBouveng
10-04-13, 11:30 AM
"He is understood to have voiced frustration regarding the game plan following the loss to the Broncos on Friday."

I can't possibly believe that any outside back or edge player was disappointed by having a halves set up that meant they couldn't get the ball.

If that is why.... Then good on him to an extent.

There are ways to raise the matter without going over the top, but somebody needs to say something. He can't be the only one.

karnage
10-04-13, 11:32 AM
If that is why.... Then good on him to an extent.

There are ways to raise the matter without going over the top, but somebody needs to say something. He can't be the only one.

There has to be no chance that is why. For our sanity there has to be no chance.... It's still funny.

Bayside Titan
10-04-13, 11:48 AM

Agree....All Bird was going to do is Kick ( Poorly at that ) and tuck the ball under the wing and run.....

In the game against Manly, Taylor looked frustrated and gave Carty a Glare as he came off in the last half when Carty came to sideline. To me in the Manly game it looked like Taylor was just getting into the groove and looked like he was going to make some impact, then pulled...

gotitans101_
10-04-13, 01:45 PM
Even Dave Taylor has more brains than Cartwright.

Coaster
10-04-13, 02:18 PM
I don't care if he is right tbh, this is not acceptable.
If he wants to express his opinion, there is other ways to do so

Chaos
10-04-13, 02:29 PM

How did he do it?

Titus
10-04-13, 02:32 PM
Have it on very good authority that he ate Carty's dinner at the team function afterwards. He also helped himself to Birdy's lemon meringue pie. Not popular at the moment.

Titanic Believer
10-04-13, 02:39 PM

Agreed. Team unity is so important. Although leaders don't always get it right the problem becomes worse when players don't unite. A classic problem where a player thinks he knows best. If not nipped in the bud the consequences are disastrous.

Titanic
10-04-13, 03:09 PM
WTF, who cares about their dinner or their lemon meringue pie? Wait a minute, I do ... sack the bastard. On the other side of the coin, ill-discipline is a friggin' disgrace with the wages these lads are on.

TITAN PETE
10-04-13, 03:13 PM
He will be playing for Tweed Heads next week as they have a bye this weekend.

Supergoose
10-04-13, 05:31 PM
Is it 2 weeks or two matches? We don't play for two weeks after Sunday. Perhaps Taylor will play for Tweed next week when we are resting and be back for us the week after. Maybe as much tactical as disciplinary to get Taylor match fit.

C-Whiz
10-04-13, 07:55 PM
Mixed emotions.

Discipline is key, but I can understand the frustration from both sides.

Interesting when you consider DT's pre-season comments about playing for the team etc.

Mexican titan
11-04-13, 11:33 AM
Interesting comments from Gordon Tallis about DT - these from the Bigpond site. The comments within the article from Wayne Bennett are even more concerning.

'I think Dave at the moment, it's just a lifestyle for him. And for him so early in the season, at his third club, getting an opportunity to play some decent footy and he breaks team rules,' Tallis told Triple M.

'I remember bumping into Wayne Bennett (who coached Taylor at the Broncos) and he asked 'how's Dave Taylor going?'. I said 'he's going alright' and he said 'he's going to do your head in... he's the only guy I've ever coached that doesn't have a conscience'.

'So he doesn't care. He's just Dave Taylor, whatever happens around him it's all about himself. And I think that's shown in some of his performances.'

Titanic Believer
11-04-13, 12:13 PM
the difference between talented players and great players is in the head. Look what Brenton Lawrence is doing this year, going from a "trier" to the next level by working hard. I hope Dave Taylor can get his head together and go to the next level as well. I think his performance against the Broncos wasn't bad, he is a big talented player, but attitude is not only about what you do on the field it is also how you work to support the goals of the team..

teke
11-04-13, 12:29 PM
Bennett saying he is the only guy he has coached who doesnt have a conscience....Jesus :(

Mexican titan
11-04-13, 12:40 PM
Bennett saying he is the only guy he has coached who does have a conscience....Jesus :(

You mean "doesn't".

Regardless of what people think of Tallis, isn't it refreshing to hear an ex player put an opinion out there rather than just dance around the edges. I have much more respect for people that state their opinion, as they are paid to do, rather than not wanting to upset someone in the boys club.

Chaos
11-04-13, 12:48 PM
I have much more respect for people that state their opinion, as they are paid to do, rather than not wanting to upset someone in the boys club.

Fair comment and Tallis does have some good opinions...but you don't want to go the other way and have an over-opinionated fool on commentary, like Ray Hadley.

DIEHARD
11-04-13, 01:14 PM
That's pretty serious stuff coming fron Gordie, I hope he is wrong. Or hope DT can rise above it. Because that just isn't on.

Titanic
11-04-13, 01:37 PM
too many experts on the same page ... it is not a good look at all

Twiggy
12-04-13, 12:44 AM
Whilst it's certainly an alarming revelation from big Gordie it's hardly new information. There have been rumours surrounding DT for years - and Bennett's comments certainly prove that.

Regardless - it's encouraging to see the club put their foot down on issues like this. One player doesn't make a team, after all.