PDA

View Full Version : Souths: To go to the Members.

Dakink
11-02-06, 11:01 AM
http://smh.com.au/news/league/south...9465799826.html

SOUTH Sydney president Nick Pappas has urged football club members to preserve the Rabbitohs' famous traditions by voting for the privatisation proposal put forward by Russell Crowe and Peter Holmes a Court.

The $3 million offer to buy 75 per cent of Souths was endorsed by a two-thirds majority of Rabbitohs directors at an historic board meeting last night and will now be decided by members.

Of the nine Souths directors, Jim Lahood and Peter Lahood are against the privatisation bid but believe it should be put to the club's 4000 members, while Sol Belair voted against it without qualification. With leagues club boss and Souths patriarch George Piggins also bitterly opposed to the move, Pappas and his supporters face the difficult task of convincing 75 per cent of members to vote for the most radical change in the Rabbitohs' 98-year history at an extraordinary general meeting on March 19.

"I am excited about a proposal that is at last going to bring some sustainability to this football club from a financial point of view, and just as importantly enshrines once and for all some of those core values that members value so much," Pappas said after the two-hour meeting.

"They're things such as the logo, the colours, not leaving Sydney, the song, the name - all of those things currently aren't protected and we could make decisions to change those today but under this proposal they're recorded and preserved in perpetuity."

Under the proposal, Crowe and Holmes a Court will pay $3 million for a 75 per cent stake in the football club and in turn will have four of the seven positions on the new board.

However, members will have full control of the club's intellectual property, as well as where Souths play and no changes can be made without passing a vote.

In addition, Crowe and Holmes a Court cannot sell any of their shareholding within three years and, if they ever wanted to, the football club would have first right of refusal.

Should the venture be a financial flop, they have agreed to sell it back to the football club for $1 and restore the balance sheets to the same levels as at the time of sale.

"Any special resolution is a challenge for those seeking to put it to members but this club has been through a lot and the members have been through a lot," Pappas said.

"What they're looking to is a board that will guide them into a period of sustainability, peace and a winning football team - and we haven't had those things for a long time."

Holmes a Court is expected to address the supporters at the Souths fan day at Telstra Stadium on Sunday.

http://smh.com.au/news/league/south...9465799826.html

Will thus be one of the last chances for Souths to get the business side of the club in order??

Will Piggins put his foot into this as well?

I personally feel the members will pass this - though that greatly depends on the politics of the situation - if it was purely clubs best interest it would pass easy!

Eel 33
11-02-06, 11:25 AM
George Piggins is living in the 50's. He doesn't understand that Souths are on death's door, and if they are to have a chance at surviving, that they need to try something to get away from the cellar. Get with the times George, the club will survive with or without you.

Titanium_BD1103
11-02-06, 11:31 AM
Well it looks like the members will override Piggins anyway.. and Holmes A Court will get the deal through.. and good on them for that.. good to see Souths going upward and onward.. SOUTH SYDNEY CAN NOW MARCH ON.. :)

I was listening to the ARN show Whistles and Hooters on WSFM today and Paul Kent from the Daily Telegraph... Now I will just take this as rumour of media ATM.. but.. it is a highly likely thing to occur knowing Canterbury.. ;)

THE BULLDOGS could be in for another turmultous season.. but this time luckily Off the field. According to Kent with details to be published in tomorrows Daily Telegraph, Steve Mortimer as is already clear, is running as an independent for the Bulldogs Board... the thing that wasn't know is that he and Grahame Hughes will make a challenge to throw the board at the next GM.. :eek:

If that occured, from my knowledge it would mean all on the board except for Malcolm Noad would be removed, and replaced with a new board.. :(

NOW I don't know if this is true or not.. but if it is.. it is something we don't need.. and the club was finally getting back on its feet.. If it is true.. get ready to see a fight... :box:

Dakink
11-02-06, 11:35 AM
I think a boardroom level clean out is just want the Dogs need. Get some fresh faces and attitudes in there.... Remove the stigma of the past with a new team.

Is that program listenable online?

Titanium_BD1103
11-02-06, 11:36 AM
I am not sure there Dakink, but if it is.. then look up WSFM in Google and see if you can find it.. if you are streaming.. the section is called 'you heard it first' and it has Paul Kent talking to Travis and Simon.

But that is the thing.. it wouldn't be fresh faces.. if it was I'd be happy with that.. but it is Turvey and the Hughes Family... and as much as I respect them.. they are like Piggins.. the time has come for them to move on and give our club to other people.. :(

Eel 33
11-02-06, 11:36 AM
The opposite of that needs to happen at Parra. The board can stay, the CEO Denis Fitzgerald has to go. :topic:

Dakink
11-02-06, 11:37 AM
But that is the thing.. it wouldn't be fresh faces.. if it was I'd be happy with that.. but it is Turvey and the Hughes Family... and as much as I respect them.. they are like Piggins.. the time has come for them to move on and give our club to other people.. :(

True and not knowing the ins and outs of the Dogs club too well perhaps I should keep my trap zipped!

Titanium_BD1103
11-02-06, 11:39 AM
Same here with me Dakink.. As much as I am a fan, I don't know the board or its workings... once the story comes out tomorrow.. we will know more.. until then.. this is just media speculation and I wouldn't comment on it.. :)

Titanium_BD1103
13-02-06, 10:40 AM
Oh well, this challenge failed miserably.. the board got voted in unanimously.. and some of the people I wanted voted in got in too. The two voted in today are great supporters and have supported the CBJRL for many years...and deserve spots on the board :D :D

Sunday, February 12, 2006 6:32:22 PM
NEW DIRECTORS WELCOMED ON TO BULLOGS BOARD

The members of the the Bulldogs Rugby League Club voted-in two new Board Directors this morning at the club's Annual General Meeting.

Nick Dimas and Mark Byrnes joined existing Board Members Peter Cassilles, Peter Winchester, Jim Hall, Anthony Elias, Barry Phillis, who were voted in by the members for another term.

Bulldogs legend Dr George Peponis was re-elected unopposed as the Club's Chairman.

The remaining position on the board is the non-elected position of Club Secretary, which is held by the Bulldogs CEO Malcolm Noad.