PDA

View Full Version : sheens comfirms Knights approach.

Dakink
11-02-06, 09:20 AM
Sheens confirms Knights approach
By Brent Read and Stuart Honeysett
February 10, 2006

PREMIERSHIP-winning coach Tim Sheens revealed last night that he had received an approach from Newcastle - but he insisted his preference was to remain with Wests Tigers beyond this season.

Sheens, in talks with Wests Tigers over extending his contract, confirmed the Knights had lodged an informal interest on his return from the World Club Challenge.

The Australian reported on Wednesday that Sheens was Newcastle's favoured replacement for Michael Hagan, who will join Parramatta in 2007.

"My discussions (with the Knights) have been informal and I am currently discussing things with my own club, which is where my preferences lie, which is what I told Newcastle," Sheens said.

"It's just an expression of interest."

Sheens is one of the most successful coaches in the game, having won four premierships with two clubs - Canberra and Wests Tigers.

His effort in leading Wests Tigers to last year's title was regarded as one of the finest of his career.

The club started the season as rank outsiders and finished it as premiers, beating North Queensland in the grand final.

Early this week, Wests Tigers chief executive Steve Noyce said he planned to step-up talks with Sheens with a view to ensuring he remained at the club.

Club director Ben Elias last night stressed the club's desire to hold on to their coach.

"From (West Tigers') point of view he's been a great asset," Elias said.

"He has a great relationship with Noyce and the club. The players respect him."

Sheens is the latest in a succession of coaches to be linked to Newcastle.

The Knights have also made an approach to Canberra's Matthew Elliott, although he is expected to re-sign with the Raiders.

Cowboys coach Graham Murray has also been mooted as a prospective candidate, although the North Queensland board was expected to offer him an extension last night.

A push for Parramatta assistant Peter Sharp, early favourite for the job, appears to have lost momentum.

News of Newcastle's approach to Sheens comes as Wests Tigers fights to hold on to captain Scott Prince beyond this season. Prince has been given permission to negotiate with the NRL's three Queensland clubs - Brisbane, Gold Coast (which joins in 2007) and North Queensland.

The Australian

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/...2-23214,00.htm

Well Tigers fans, is he or isnt he?

Eel 33
11-02-06, 10:36 AM
Tick, tock, tick, tock. Only time will tell. If Sheens does go to Newcastle, he can re build the team into something like he's done with the Tigers, but it will take time. If it pays off, it'll be another feather in his cap.

Luke
11-02-06, 10:52 AM
I hope he comes to the knights.