Bulldogs

Coming soon

Coach: Des Hasler

DIEHARD
19-03-13, 03:38 PM
Grand Final rematch! Go the Storm.

DIEHARD
19-03-13, 06:23 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1795_517180718323176_1800490442_n.jpg

TITAN PETE
20-03-13, 11:17 AM
Williams admits he needs to lift

RSS
Ben Blaschke, NRL.com Wed, Mar 20, 2013 - 10:00 AM

It?s no secret the Bulldogs have faced the start of their minor premiership defence minus three of their most devastating big men ? and if you ask Tony Williams they haven?t come anywhere near seeing the best of him either.

But that has to change now, according to Williams, if they are any hope of knocking over high-flying Melbourne in Thursday night?s hotly anticipated grand final rematch.

As Canterbury?s one and only big name signing for 2013, the NSW and Australian Test back-rower?s arrival at Belmore this season completes what, at full strength at least, must surely rate as the most intimidating forward pack in the Telstra Premiership.

Yet after his first two games in blue and white the big man is anything but happy with his contribution.

?I?ve still got heaps of improving to do,? he told NRL.com as the Bulldogs head into a third straight game minus representative trio James Graham, Frank Pritchard and Sam Kasiano (as well as fullback Ben Barba). ?I?d say that even if I was playing well but I haven?t been very good and I?m still working on a few things.

?I?m getting there but it?s slow progress. I was a bit better [against Parramatta] than I was the week before but I?ve still got a lot of improving to do. I still need to gel with the boys so I think once we?ve done that I think special times will come.?

While Williams? move to the Bulldogs was largely a decision to reunite with his former coach at Manly Des Hasler, the 24-year-old said the change of clubs had been much tougher than he expected.

?Adapting to a different place has been the hardest thing for me and not knowing the boys as well as I did back at Manly,? he continued. ?But that will come. Other than that I really just need to start getting myself into the game more.

?Obviously not holding the ball doesn?t help. When we?re defending for so much of the game it?s a lot harder to get the ball in my hands. Once that?s right I think it will be better days ahead, so it?s nothing major.

?I just have to do what I have to do ? turn up, do my best and help the boys as much as I can. I just need to improve.?
While the Bulldogs have been far from their best in an opening-round loss to North Queensland and a narrow win over Parramatta last week, Williams has been particularly impressed by the fight his new teammates have shown ? particularly in holding out the Eels for the entire second half as they pounded the Canterbury line.

And he said it was that sort of commitment that would quickly help him become one with the playing group in 2013.

?Big time,? he said when asked that very question. ?It?s something at the Bulldogs that we pride ourselves on. It makes such a difference with 'Dessy' and it showed out there. But we need to stop putting ourselves in the position where we need to do that.

?The errors are probably the biggest things that are killing us at the moment but in saying that I?ve really noticed how strong the boys are. They?re tough young guys. Just getting through that [Parramatta] game ? especially with a couple of the guys carrying injury ? I haven?t seen something like that in a while. It?s good to be a part of.

?It?s been a big loss with those three big boys out but we?ve shown that we?ve got a lot of depth in the team and the boys have been working hard. I think the forwards have been going well. It will be a big bonus when they get back but I?ve really enjoyed playing with these guys here.?

Although the Bulldogs will again be missing their start quartet when they line up against the undefeated Storm this week, they are expected to receive a huge boost come their Round 4 blockbuster against Souths, with fullback Barba tipped to make his return from off-field issues.

Barba returned to training over the weekend as his rehabilitation continues, with Williams admitting that his presence alone had lifted spirits at the club?s Belmore headquarters.

?It was great to have him there,? Williams said. ?It?s not easy what he is doing. I guess I don?t know him as well as the other boys but I think it?s a good thing that he?s back around. I guess when he is ready it will be good for all of us to have him back.?

TITAN PETE
20-03-13, 11:18 AM
I hope Barba does return for the Dogs as they are 0 chance without him of causing an upset..

DIEHARD
21-03-13, 06:33 PM
Storm v Bulldogs
AAMI Park Thursday, 8.05pm

The Bulldogs are in damage control in the lead-up to this Thursday?s grand final rematch with premiers Melbourne ? not because of off-field indiscretions or internal disharmony but rather the daunting prospect of matching motors with a Storm side that has made an irrefutable statement of intent over the opening fortnight of the 2013 premiership.

Last Saturday?s clash between Melbourne and North Queensland in Townsville was supposed to provide a gripping contest between two closely matched units, with the Cowboys tipped by many as potential grand finallists even at this early stage. But the Storm bucketed down on their parade, emerging with an almost effortless 32-10 victory that sent shivers down the spines of the 14 other NRL coaches.

And with Ben Barba?s return reportedly at least another week away, Bulldogs coach Des Hasler knows his side will need to produce something special if they are to gain a much-needed psychological advantage over a Storm team they will meet at least twice this season, with a return ?bout? scheduled in Round 18 before any semi-finals action.

Of particular concern for Hasler as he preps his squad is the fact this week?s opponent North Queensland didn?t do a whole heap wrong on the stats sheet last week, yet emerged way off the mark on the scoresheet. Each side completed at roughly 70 per cent; made six line-breaks; shared 12 errors apiece as well as 29 missed tackles. The Cowboys seemingly were more creative, winning the offloads 15-9. Yet Melbourne was a 22-point better side at fulltime. Yikes.

Meanwhile Canterbury got on the board in 2013 with a hard-fought 20-16 win over a Parramatta side that bore little resemblance to the inept unit lumped with the wooden spoon last year. It was very much a tale of two halves ? both sides failed to trouble the scoreboard attendant in the second 40 ? and ultimately it was the Bulldogs? ability to break the defensive line (four line busts to two) that proved the difference.

In team news, Melbourne will be sweating on the fitness of star fullback Billy Slater after he suffered a hamstring twinge in the win over the Cowboys. Slater has been named but will be monitored in the lead-up.

Nevertheless the Storm have two forced changes: Ex-Knight Junior Sa?u comes in at left centre for the injured Justin O?Neill, while Junior Moors joins the interchange to cover for the suspended Siosaia Vave who will miss one week.

Bulldogs coach Des Hasler has named an unchanged line-up, with Tim Lafai the extra man in jersey No.19.

Watch Out Storm: Despite dominating over the opening fortnight Melbourne have racked up a worrying error count ? last season they tallied the third fewest errors overall but in 2013 they are the fourth worst in the league, dropping the Steeden 13.5 times a match so far. On the plus side they have plenty of improvement in them ? on the minus side they could keep dropping the ball but not gain the positive results they have achieved.

Also, Melbourne need to wrap up the ball-carrier quickly and not give the Bulldogs? talented offloaders a sniff of keeping the play going. Worryingly the Storm are ranked sixth worst for offloads conceded, with an average of 11 delivered against them.

Second-rower Josh Jackson (average 13 runs, 90 metres, a try, line-break assist and try assist) has shown a lot of quality over the past fortnight and he could provide some headaches down the right edge, particularly teaming with Reynolds and Inu.

Watch Out Bulldogs: Cooper Cronk will direct plenty of attack down the right edge targeting the Bulldogs? left-side defence which has offered indifferent resistance over the opening fortnight. Canterbury have conceded five of seven tries down their left side, including all three to the Eels last week. Cronk already has three line-break assists and two try assists, plus he has broken defences open himself on two occasions and also scored two tries. Another huge year looms.

Without Ben Barba the Bulldogs are struggling to cut through the opposition ? last season they tallied the fourth-most line-breaks in the NRL but to date rank a lowly 13th with just 2.5 per game. Also, at the end of 2012 they ranked fourth for tackle-breaks with 34.5 per game; this year they sit 14th with just 19.5 per game! Clearly they are missing the likes of Barba (171 tackle-breaks in 2012), Sam Kasiano (51) and Frank Pritchard (41). Josh Reynolds is doing his bit but he can?t do it all; centres Josh Morris and Krisnan Inu, as well as Tony Williams (no line-breaks and just two tackle-breaks so far ? after making 102 tackle-breaks in 16 games for Manly last season) need to provide more potency.

Plays To Watch: Storm newcomer Tohu Harris charging straight and hard and getting through a mountain of defence (32 tackles last week); Billy Slater (11 tackle-breaks) scheming and stepping on the right edge, especially at close range; Cameron Smith (95 receives last week) looking to advance his forwards quickly at the ruck, trying to catch out the Bulldogs marker defenders; Krisnan Inu baring his fangs in broad smile before booting for goal; workhorse Aiden Tolman getting his name in front of Blues coach Laurie Daley with some repetitive charges ? already he?s averaging 18.5 hit-ups and 132 metres a game, second most behind Paul Gallen; Tony Williams and Krisnan Inu setting up second phase on different sides of the field (three offloads apiece).

Key Match-Up: Gareth Widdop v Josh Reynolds. Widdop isn?t exactly the forgotten man at the Storm but he?s often overlooked in the star stakes given the presence of Cooper Cronk, Cameron Smith and Billy Slater. But low-key is just the way Widdop likes it ? it allows him to be selective with his contributions, which are all quality as a result. The No.6 has two line-break assists, a try and a line-break to his credit already.

Meanwhile Reynolds has taken on more responsibility given Ben Barba?s absence and he really delivered last week, scoring a brilliant 75-metre try that featured a dummy to slice through the line and a second dummy to outwit opposition fullback Jarryd Hayne. Reynolds also laid on a try for Sam Perrett with a pinpoint cross-field kick.

Expect both Widdop and Reynolds to figure prominently, with the individual who is able to keep the ball alive (they both have two offloads to date) bound to generate discussions post-match.

Where It Will Be Won: The speed of the play-the-ball. This clash brings together two sides that thrive on an up-tempo pace of play ? in fact no teams have tallied more fast play-the-balls over the opening two weeks than the Storm and the Bulldogs.

The Bulldogs managed to keep the Eels at bay with 29 fast play-the-balls; however they will have their work cut out for them stopping the Storm juggernaut after Melbourne amassed a whopping 41 fast play-the-balls against the Cowboys ? themselves more than handy at the tactic ? last Saturday.

Clearly whichever team sets the agenda and is able to maintain good completions into the mix will gain the advantage.

The History: Played 30; Storm 15, Bulldogs 15. The Bulldogs have one of the best head-to-head records against Melbourne; however they have just the three wins over the Storm since 2007. Of more concern is the fact Canterbury have managed only one win in Melbourne over the past decade (back to 2005).

Match Officials: Referees ? Ben Cummins & Chris James; Sideline Officials ? Paul Holland & Jeff Younis; Video Referees ? Bernard Sutton & Adam Gee.

Televised: Channel Nine ? Live 8.05pm AEDT (NSW & Qld); Fox Sports 1HD ? Delayed 10pm.

The Way We See It: Canterbury have an abysmal recent record in Melbourne; without Barba, Kasiano, Pritchard and Graham we can?t see them getting one back over the Storm this week. Maybe down the track. Melbourne by eight points.

*Statistics: NRL Stats

Source :http://www.nrl.com

C-Whiz
21-03-13, 08:33 PM
I hope Barba does return for the Dogs as they are 0 chance without him of causing an upset..Storm are 6 up, but Dogs are looking pretty good, all things considered. 25min in, this looks like a pretty open/even game.

Not sure how long the Doggies can hang in there though....

TITAN PETE
21-03-13, 10:06 PM
It was a good game of Footy but I think the rest of the NRL can now believe the Storm are not unbeatable when u consider the Dogs were missing Barba,Graham,Cassiano & Pritchard & almost pulled off the upset..

Titanic Believer
21-03-13, 11:06 PM
The Storm were off their game but they still won. The sign of a good team. Given their difficult schedule you would expect them to fade in the second half. The Titans need to be that consistent.

Chaos
21-03-13, 11:51 PM
Two bad ref calls in the that game and both went against the Storm.

Firstly, Slater shouldn't have been penalised for kicking a defender that was trying to tackle him in the air.

The second one was the most worrying...disallowed Cronk try.
Who in there right mind would honestly believe that the defending player (impeded by the Storm decoy) could have stopped Cronk from scoring a try.
There was even another Storm try where they looked for an obstruction with Storms decoy runner and there wasn't even any contact...he just run through and the ball was given outside him...the try was given but the fact they needed to go up stairs and look at it was disturbing.

We are refereeing our way into a league game with no more decoy runners...would anybody watch such a game?

C-Whiz
22-03-13, 08:21 AM
It was a good game of Footy but I think the rest of the NRL can now believe the Storm are not unbeatable when u consider the Dogs were missing Barba,Graham,Cassiano & Pritchard & almost pulled off the upset..Yep, that's what i got out of it, but it was a pretty flat Storm side for about 40 minutes, with the usual flashes of brilliance. But it turned out to be a great game, down to the wire and some very good football from both teams! :thumbsup:

The Storm were off their game but they still won. The sign of a good team. Given their difficult schedule you would expect them to fade in the second half. The Titans need to be that consistent.Yes.

Two bad ref calls in the that game and both went against the Storm.

Firstly, Slater shouldn't have been penalised for kicking a defender that was trying to tackle him in the air.

The second one was the most worrying...disallowed Cronk try.
Who in there right mind would honestly believe that the defending player (impeded by the Storm decoy) could have stopped Cronk from scoring a try.
There was even another Storm try where they looked for an obstruction with Storms decoy runner and there wasn't even any contact...he just run through and the ball was given outside him...the try was given but the fact they needed to go up stairs and look at it was disturbing.

We are refereeing our way into a league game with no more decoy runners...would anybody watch such a game?I see the Slater thing as a judgement call, and I don't think it was deliberate at all and nothing more will happen, but the Dogs did score off the back of it, but I've seen worse penalties given every round but the Slater thing stands out because we don't see that sort of penalty very often.

But that was probably the worst call for obstruction i can remember. FFS, what is the ruling that made them consider that the runner (who did make contact) changed the defense enough to be considered an obstruction??? I agree, where is the game heading with calls like this???? :doh:

Chaos
22-03-13, 06:42 PM
But that was probably the worst call for obstruction i can remember. FFS, what is the ruling that made them consider that the runner (who did make contact) changed the defense enough to be considered an obstruction??? I agree, where is the game heading with calls like this???? :doh:

The thing that annoys me is they say the decoy runner made contact, even though he wasn't anywhere near the play...does that mean they are going to penalise every attacker that touches the marker in the ruck or every defender that touches the kicker after he kicks or every scrum after the ball is released?