PDA

View Full Version : Prop concerns for storm

Super Cronk
10-02-06, 09:36 AM
Melbournestorm.com.au

MELBOURNE Storm is set to enter the new NRL season without a recognised starting front-rower.

Just 31 days before Storm's Round 1 showdown with the New Zealand Warriors in Auckland, coach Craig Bellamy says the make-up of his pack is anything but settled.

The retirement of skipper Robbie Kearns, departure of Alex Chan to France, and injury concerns surrounding established props Dennis Scott and Brett White, has left Melbourne vulnerable.

Powerful Canberra recruit Ben Cross is also unavailable, as he serves the remaining four matches of a five-match suspension for kneeing.

"It (the front row) is certainly a bit of a concern for us at the moment," Bellamy said.

"Whitey has hurt his hamstring and won't play this weekend's trial, and both Cross and Scott definitely won't be there for Round 1.

"It is an area we have recruited quite heavily in, but I really need a few guys to stand up and be counted.

"There are front-row spots up for grabs. They need to show they want them."

Ian Donnelly, Antonio Kaufusi and former Panther Garret Crossman loom as likely contenders for the positions. But Bellamy said the unheralded Adam Blair would also enter calculations.

"It is a great opportunity for these guys, if they play well in the trials they can try and hammer down a spot for the rest of the year," said Kearns, who now serves as a forwards coach.

"I know they have the ability, they have size and I know they can make a big impact in this league. They just have to stand up and believe in themselves."

In the best shape of his career Crossman, 24, has vowed to make his mark, starting with tomorrow night's trial against Parramatta at Ballina.

"You do the hard work at training, but it is out on the field that you have to make it count," Crossman said.

"I came to Melbourne because I wanted to play regular first grade. I need to prove to the coach I am worthy of that opportunity, and it all starts in the trials."

Crossman has been named on the bench for the Eels trial, with Donnelly and Kaufusi set to form the starting combination.

"There is plenty of competition there but hopefully I can put myself in the mix," Crossman said.

"It is by far the toughest preseason I have ever been through and I'm really excited about taking that on the field."

After a solid off-season Storm is hopeful that at 21, Kaufusi will live up to his undoubted potential.

The Tongan powerhouse finished 2005 strongly, and working closely with former Storm back-rower and now assistant coach Stephen Kearney, Kaufusi said he is ready to fill the front row void.

"I am a heap more hungry than I have been in the past," Kaufusi said.

"I really think it is time I stood up and showed the coach that I am capable of doing the job."

Super Cronk
10-02-06, 09:37 AM
all i gotta say is :curse: :curse:

DeeGan
10-02-06, 09:48 AM
There is a huge problem here and no club will win a comp without an established presence up front in the engine roome. The injury concern to Scott is cause for alarm for the Storm in 2006 with Chan and Kearns retiring.

I have to say, the Melbourne Storm recruitment is poor this year - this hole should of been plugged in the off-season and they have failed to an extent it has to be said. Grant Grossman is a good pick up and will add some starch though the Antonio Kaufusi is definately the guy with the most potential and could be another Roy Asotasi clone if he stays determined.

Interesting trials coming up for the club.

Super Cronk
10-02-06, 09:55 AM
There is a huge problem here and no club will win a comp without an established presence up front in the engine roome. The injury concern to Scott is cause for alarm for the Storm in 2006 with Chan and Kearns retiring.

I have to say, the Melbourne Storm recruitment is poor this year - this hole should of been plugged in the off-season and they have failed to an extent it has to be said. Grant Grossman is a good pick up and will add some starch though the Antonio Kaufusi is definately the guy with the most potential and could be another Roy Asotasi clone if he stays determined.

Interesting trials coming up for the club.

Yeah...recruitment wasnt too bad, could have/should have been better.But injury is just a *****. Tell you the truth tho i much prefer it now then at the end of the season. Atleast now we can blood some youngsters and get them used to it.

Adam Blair i am very intrested in seeing. Anyone that watched the arrive alive cup for the past 2 years will know of Adam blair from wavell high, he was teh captain with the big afro...he hits hard in defence and has good ball skills for a big fella.

AK(kaufusi) really stepped up towards the end of last year, i have been extremely dissapointed with him in the past for not playing to his potential but end of 2005 he showed what he could do.

We should be sweet by about round 4 tho...with cross returning and white there also...just hope that noone else is injured.

Eel 33
10-02-06, 10:09 AM
They'd better sort it out quickly, or it will be a very long, painful season.

mb63
10-02-06, 12:20 PM
I think you will find the pack will be okay particularly after Cross resumes from suspension.Still think Storm will have a good year.