PDA

View Full Version : Round 3 2013: TITANS vs MANLY

DIEHARD
17-03-13, 06:55 PM
TITANS vs MANLY

TitansFan2020
17-03-13, 07:54 PM
The Gladiator will be going to this game in full paint! Come down to the legion if you want a photo :) looks great for facebook and other stuff... just ask DIEHARD, I'm pretty nice ;)

See you boys this time next week!

Coaster
17-03-13, 08:27 PM
What time is this game ?

Hail Sezer
17-03-13, 08:31 PM
What time is this game ?

4:30pm I think.

Hope Jamal lays out Jamie Lyin'

TITAN PETE
17-03-13, 08:33 PM
Next week will give us a good indication where our team is really at, Eagles were Red Hot last week in the 2nd half & backed it up tonight by flogging the Knights.

hammer
17-03-13, 09:03 PM
The Sea Eagles have such an elevated level of line speed it intimidates opposing sides and we have to match this to be seriously competitive. I was impressed with some of our defensive muscle today but our line speed in defence needs to improve.

gotitans101_
18-03-13, 09:32 AM
Next week will give us a good indication where our team is really at, Eagles were Red Hot last week in the 2nd half & backed it up tonight by flogging the Knights.

Pretty much this. If we don't at least make a game of it then we're back to square one unfortunately.

Titanic
18-03-13, 10:54 AM
Lyin' will mark up against Takairangi, Idris against "who knows" as Matai looked busted yesterday and Taufua against Mead but the real match-up will be both sets of half's.

The Mole
18-03-13, 11:02 AM
Lyin' will mark up against Takairangi, Idris against "who knows" as Matai looked busted yesterday and Tafua against Mead but the real match-up will be both sets of half's.

Should be a good test for Taka who i believe has solved our left center position based on performances in both rounds.

The young halves clash will be entertaining as well as several other match-ups.

This game against Manly will be the best indicator we'll get within the first 5 rounds as to how our team is faring in the comp?

DavidBouveng
18-03-13, 12:43 PM
Man a win this weak means ppl will sit up and take notice.

One things for sure. We won't get thrashed this year. Our attitude to defense and good metre gainage will keep us in every game. Our kicking and ball handling will decide if we win them.

2013...things are looking up.

Chaos
18-03-13, 01:28 PM
Our kicking and ball handling will decide if we win them.

Ball control is an end result...it's not something you should focus on too much.
If your plays are threatening and your runners are hitting the correct angles, ball control becomes easy. Support play cleans any loose balls thrown....in other words BACK UP.
If you try and play safe, the defensive reads it and hits you in numbers...you have more chance of coughing the ball up, plus your just wont score.

Kelly last week created lots of opportunities and give an intercept...thats want you want from your ball player....Risk with result.
It gives Sezer more room and he can then threaten the line while still playing safe.

GOLDHAMMER
18-03-13, 01:37 PM
Taka did a fantastic job setting up the first try..he has done more in the first two weeks than champion did for a whole year.

DavidBouveng
18-03-13, 01:46 PM
Ball control is an end result...it's not something you should focus on too much.
If your plays are threatening and your runners are hitting the correct angles, ball control becomes easy. Support play cleans any loose balls thrown....in other words BACK UP.
If you try and play safe, the defensive reads it and hits you in numbers...you have more chance of coughing the ball up, plus your just wont score.

Kelly last week created lots of opportunities and give an intercept...thats want you want from your ball player....Risk with result.
It gives Sezer more room and he can then threaten the line while still playing safe.

I get what u are saying, but I think if u asked 16 NRL coaches what is the first thing their team needs to worry about, likely 16 will say ball control.

Like Canberra yesterday , if you can't even get to your third tackle, kicking, angles, support play all mean jack.

DavidBouveng
18-03-13, 02:14 PM
Taka did a fantastic job setting up the first try..he has done more in the first two weeks than champion did for a whole year.

He has shown more intent to create than almost any of our 'tuck it and run' centres.

He could end up being a great buy

gothabull
18-03-13, 02:35 PM
and champions already injured lol

teke
18-03-13, 03:54 PM
Mead under injury cloud for this game.

Hip injury

DIEHARD
18-03-13, 04:10 PM
Manly fans will be out there in force.

So get your tickets now from ticketek - CLICK HERE (http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/Show.aspx?sh=TIT0313#.UUahiRzI2rk)

Julius Sezer
18-03-13, 06:16 PM
We really need to win this weeks game. It will be great for our confidence and the rest of the RL community will take notice.

Toads
18-03-13, 06:36 PM
It's hard to gauge at the moment, considering the last two games. But I reckon there's a good chance we'll have their measure. I think the key being is to slow their game up somewhat. As they can play at a cracking pace that can overwhelm some teams.

If we can do that, I think we might have 'em. ;)

DavidBouveng
18-03-13, 06:49 PM
Mead under injury cloud for this game.

Hip injury

I saw this happen. He copped a knock diving for line and edrick lee collected him. He rubbed it and sort of stretched it a bit for a few minutes after.

DavidBouveng
18-03-13, 06:51 PM
I would also say anyone who wants any value on Titan top 8 or premiership odds, get on BEFORE this weekend.

After we clean this mob up we will be wound right in!

Steve
18-03-13, 07:01 PM
Our forwards can steam roll them, so we just need Kelly and Sezer to fire again and we'll have 'em.

Would like to see us keep them to 0, but that will be a tough call, they're one of the top teams in the competition!

TITAN PETE
18-03-13, 08:49 PM
After watching the Sharks tonight we may gain more respect from our opposition.

DIEHARD
18-03-13, 08:54 PM
After watching the Sharks tonight we may gain more respect from our opposition.

Sharks were impressive, Souths were very lucky.

Chaos
18-03-13, 10:13 PM
I get what u are saying, but I think if u asked 16 NRL coaches what is the first thing their team needs to worry about, likely 16 will say ball control.

Like Canberra yesterday , if you can't even get to your third tackle, kicking, angles, support play all mean jack.

They all say it to the media because its the end result of poor football.
Premiership teams concentrate on promoting the football into certain areas...they don't care about what you shouldn't be doing...thats left for bottom half of the comp.

teke
18-03-13, 10:23 PM
I saw this happen. He copped a knock diving for line and edrick lee collected him. He rubbed it and sort of stretched it a bit for a few minutes after.yeah at beginning of the game, I asked him what happened and he just said Edrick lees boney knee :laugh:

He sporting a monster cork atm.

Titanic
18-03-13, 11:07 PM
Do they still use those wooden rolling pins to rub corks out? Man, they used to hurt.

Supergoose
19-03-13, 10:51 AM
Watching Manly against the Knights you get the feeling they were listening to Daniel Anderson when he spoke about the guidelines the refs are working under. They too have gone big and fast to ensure quick play the balls. At one stage I reckon they had four props on the field and were just steam-rolling the Knights. It's going to be an awesome clash on Saturday night and I just hope the heat hasn't taken the sting out of us. I have plenty of Sea-Eagles mates, really need to shut them up. Looking forward to team announcements to see what we're up against.

DavidBouveng
19-03-13, 11:03 AM
Watching Manly against the Knights you get the feeling they were listening to Daniel Anderson when he spoke about the guidelines the refs are working under. They too have gone big and fast to ensure quick play the balls. At one stage I reckon they had four props on the field and were just steam-rolling the Knights. It's going to be an awesome clash on Saturday night and I just hope the heat hasn't taken the sting out of us. I have plenty of Sea-Eagles mates, really need to shut them up. Looking forward to team announcements to see what we're up against.

Yeah it's a good year for us to have big fast forwards. The rules suit us nicely, and I'm surely manly and us would first and second in metres gained so far.

ozynorts
19-03-13, 01:39 PM
What I am looking for this weekend is for the team to progress from last weekend. With the new combinations and halves pairing it will take time. If we continue to improve we can give it a real shake this year. I don't think it is vital we win this weekend but we have to show that we are the real deal. If that results in a win, awesome. But if we get done by a couple of points by a rampant Manly then we are well on the way. If we get flogged however....................................

TITAN PETE
19-03-13, 03:00 PM
iSelect Titans v Manly Sea Eagles
Saturday, March 23

4.30pm (AEST) ? Skilled Park

1 William Zillman
2 Kevin Gordon
3 Brad Takairangi
4 Jamal Idris
5 David Mead
6 Aidan Sezer
7 Albert Kelly
8 Luke Douglas
9 Matt Srama
10 Nate Myles
11 Greg Bird
12 Ben Ridge
13 Ashley Harrison

Interchange
14 Dave Taylor
15 Luke Bailey
16 Ryan James
17 Beau Falloon
18 Luke O'Dwyer

TITAN PETE
19-03-13, 03:56 PM
Sea Eagles

1 Brett Stewart
2 Jorge Taufua
3 Jamie Lyon (c)
4 Steve Matai
5 David Williams
6 Kieran Foran
7 Daly Cherry-Evans
8 Brenton Lawrence
9 Matt Ballin
10 Brent Kite
11 Anthony Watmough
12 Justin Horo
13 Jamie Buhrer

Interchange
14 Richie Fa'aoso
15 Joe Galuvao
16 David Gower
17 Tom Symonds

Coach: Geoff Toovey

Surfers66
19-03-13, 03:57 PM
Manlys Pack isnt what it used to be, not intimidating at all.

If we win the battle through the middle we will win the game.

I have never been this confident in all our years playing Manly.
Now we will be the ones doing the bashing!!!!!!

C-Whiz
19-03-13, 04:27 PM
yeah at beginning of the game, I asked him what happened and he just said Edrick lees boney knee :laugh:

He sporting a monster cork atm.When did this happen? Is this why he was so quiet on the field other day?

C-Whiz
19-03-13, 04:37 PM
Battle of the halves, IMO.

Everything about the Canberra win is fish and chip wrapper now.

We can dominate in the forwards, and this should really take the time away from DCE and Foran while giving our guys space, and using Idris and Taka as weapons will wear them down defensively.

Possession and completion will be key.

As others have said, this is the first real test.

Chaos
19-03-13, 06:14 PM
Battle of the halves, IMO.

Your not wrong...our halves have a lot of combining to do but this game will mean a bit to Kelly and Sezer.
They'll have the upper hand on the back of our forward pack but the Manly halves are the best.
I think it will be good for the young guys to come up against Manly early in the season...they should came out of the game experienced.

DIEHARD
19-03-13, 06:21 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/581884_517180731656508_2065457885_n.jpg

Toads
19-03-13, 06:33 PM
Matai must've made a miraculous recovery, last I heard he was lookin' at being sidelined for up to a month. Whatever that issue is with him, I hope it isn't anything too serious that may be detrimental later on in life..

Julius Sezer
19-03-13, 06:37 PM
We be fantastic if we can get a win

C-Whiz
19-03-13, 06:41 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/581884_517180731656508_2065457885_n.jpgMan, that is a juicy match-up! Player for player. :thumbsup:

DIEHARD
19-03-13, 06:41 PM
Clash with Titans sure to have extra heat for Lyon

Plenty of gold at the coast: But Jamie Lyon decided to stay with Manly after snubbing the Titans' offer. Photo: Anthony Johnson

Jamie Lyon admits there will be a ''bit more spice'' when he comes up against the Gold Coast on Saturday after rejecting their multi-million offer to join them this season.

Lyon, off contract at the end of the year, was offered a mammoth $3.2 million over four seasons to join the Titans after the club lost Beau Champion and missed out on replacement centre target Michael Jennings.

However, the Manly skipper remained loyal and is hopeful of finishing his career at Brookvale Oval.

The 31-year-old, who scored 12 points in a dominant performance against Newcastle, said the Skilled Park encounter may have a different feel about it this time around.

''I forgot all about it until you brought it up,'' Lyon chuckled. ''I guess it adds a bit more spice. There were a few rumours being spread around at the time and it wasn't a real good look.

''It doesn't worry me now, I'm over it. I would only have [entertained it] if Manly wanted to get rid of me or it was over the salary cap and I had to go. I never gave it a chance really, I was never going to leave the boys.''

In fact, Lyon is hopeful of re-signing to ensure that he finishes his career in maroon and white. His agent, George Mimis, has been in discussions with Sea Eagles officials in recent weeks and it's hoped a deal can be struck soon. ''It's going in the right direction and hopefully it will get sorted out in the next couple of weeks. I'd love to stay for a couple more years if it works out,'' he said.

''Definitely it's my first choice, all of my best mates are here and the club has been great to me over the years.''

The former NSW and Australian three-quarter retired from representative football but remains in career best form. Asked if he would consider again making himself available for Origin, Lyon said: ''Probably not. I really enjoyed it when I was younger and had some good times. But I just don't have the passion for it and don't enjoy it as much as I should. I know that probably doesn't sound great and isn't a good look but it's just how I feel.''

Manly have again been in the headlines for the wrong reasons, most recently for their alleged use of performance-enhancing drugs.

However, the club has a knack of performing despite - or perhaps in spite of - the adversity. They will be aiming for their third-straight victory against the Titans.

''We've got a strong group that's been there for a while and we know each other really well … it's always business as usual for us,'' Lyon said.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/clash-with-titans-sure-to-have-extra-heat-for-lyon-20130318-2gb9b.html#ixzz2Ny9nWHSQ

DIEHARD
19-03-13, 06:42 PM
He really dumped on us, real overkill, just to save himself with Manly's fanbase. We replied with professional silence.

Smash him!

Julius Sezer
19-03-13, 06:55 PM
That interview made me laugh

Coaster
19-03-13, 07:26 PM
Matai must've made a miraculous recovery, last I heard he was lookin' at being sidelined for up to a month. Whatever that issue is with him, I hope it isn't anything too serious that may be detrimental later on in life..

Nothing a few bottles of calf blood won't fix

Julius Sezer
19-03-13, 07:54 PM

Ahahaha LOL.

Toads
19-03-13, 08:10 PM

:laugh: Geezus :laugh:

Titanic
20-03-13, 12:22 AM

If they run out of blood then I'm sure we could accommodate him with a jar of urine.

TITAN PETE
20-03-13, 11:50 AM
Titans v Sea Eagles - Tickets and Game Day Info

The Titans clash with the Sea Eagles this Saturday at Skilled Park.

Gates open at 2.10pm (AEST), with the NYC Under-20s kicking off at 2.15pm and NRL action starting at 4.30pm.

Click here for all your game day information including ticket prices and precinct activity.
http://www.titans.com.au/tickets

Please note for tickets purchased at the box office at Skilled Park Stadium on game day, an additional $8.00 gate fee will apply to each ticket purchased. Purchase your tickets online today to save! More details and ticket prices can be found here.

TITAN PETE
20-03-13, 11:52 AM
If u take into account the $8 per ticket fee as a member we save an additional $96 per season

DavidBouveng
20-03-13, 12:05 PM
If u take into account the $8 per ticket fee as a member we save an additional $96 per season

Membership for me and my daughter is $199... Saving 96 each is paying for membership...

DIEHARD
20-03-13, 12:06 PM
Gate fee? You have got to be kidding. Per ticket? You have got to be kidding.

Saving as a Member when it comes to manufactured fees is meaningless to me.

$8 gate fee. Which other clubs do this?

DavidBouveng
20-03-13, 12:12 PM
Gate fee? You have got to be kidding. Per ticket? You have got to be kidding.

Saving as a Member when it comes to manufactured fees is meaningless to me.

$8 gate fee. Which other clubs do this?

With PomPom-gate solved, we move on to Gate-fee-gate!! ;)

DIEHARD
20-03-13, 12:18 PM
I appreciate the Titans trying to push Memberships and asking people to save by buying online. But who is behind a $8 gate fee... Per ticket? Ticketek? Skilled Park? Get three tickets and it's an added tax of $24!

When I first saw this. I quickly thought "$8" "tickets" cool. They must be doing something like the old reciprocal away ticket deal they had in Sydney many years ago.

Toads
20-03-13, 12:50 PM
It's gotta be Ticketek, they'd be about the only mob with the hide to pull that stunt. From memory, I think they were stinging punters $5.50 per sale last year (Booking Fee), but it didn't matter how many you brought (IIRC). But yeah, per ticket is a bit ****in' steep..

Sorta undone all the good work David May has been working on, trying to wrangle a better deal for the club with Stadiums Queensland..

DIEHARD
20-03-13, 01:09 PM
I agree Toads. Im concerned how fans will react to that. Entry level fans that are either new/casuals or ones re-enlisting in the Titans Army. The ones we want, who will try before they buy. And the mass of event goers and casuals that are neccessary for a strong club.

It's so easy and attractive for people to stay at home and watch the footy. This is a barrier to participation.

I'd baulk at it, baulk damn hard.

I'll say no more. I'm turning into an old man...

"Back on my day...."
"Dose pom poms dun look right to me...."

DavidBouveng
20-03-13, 01:52 PM
Yeah there should be an incentive to buy online, not a slug to the face if you don't.

C-Whiz
20-03-13, 02:00 PM
Please note for tickets purchased at the box office at Skilled Park Stadium on game day, an additional [B]$8.00 gate fee will apply to each ticket purchased. Purchase your tickets online today to save! More details and ticket prices can be found here.That's daylight robbery!

They were offering members "mates rates" for $10 for Canberra game AND Manly game, now they want to charge an extra $8 on top of the cost of a ticket! That is out of control!

Add this to a price increase on mid-strength beer and it feels like they are deliberately trying to stop people wanting to come to the footy on a whim.

Some people just decide to go to the footy as a spur-of-the-moment decision. Not everyone plans for an arvo at the footy a week in advance. This is bad. VERY, VERY BAD!!!
:fight: :argue: :boo:

DIEHARD
20-03-13, 02:04 PM
Former Titan returns as Sea Eagle

BRENTON Lawrence struggled to get a game when he was a Titan.

The 28-year-old frontrower made just 18 appearances in two seasons with the Gold Coast and has battled to establish a leading role because the Coast's front row stocks included representative players Nate Myles, Luke Bailey and Luke Douglas.

But the Titans may rue letting the Mackay product go, with Lawrence having emerged as a genuine force for Manly in the opening two rounds of this season.

Lawrence has been outstanding in his first two games wearing the Sea Eagles' No. 8, picking up more than 100m in each match and racking up double-figure hit-up and tackle counts.

His figures have bettered those of Titans warhorse Bailey, who has played similar minutes off the bench in his comeback from an achilles injury, as well as starting prop Douglas and bench forward Ryan James.

"For me, it's really just a matter of opportunity," Lawrence said.

"I think the more time you spend on the field, the better your stats will end up looking.

"I'm not too focused on stats. I like to look at them to make sure I'm doing my fair share of work but I wasn't getting too much time at the Titans, so your stats don't look like you're doing too much at all.

"As soon as you get 40-50 minutes in the game, you're making more tackles and running more metres."

Titans coach John Cartwright had his tongue planted only partly in his cheek when he hoped yesterday Lawrence did not star against the Titans at Skilled Park on Saturday.

"He's allowed a couple of bad games a year and hopefully that's against us," said Cartwright, admitting he had been pleased to see Lawrence prosper in Sydney.

"You can't be totally selfish (and keep every player), Brenton had a tremendous chance to go down for a three-year deal at Manly. We weren't in a position to offer that," Cartwright said.

"It was a no-brainer, it was a great opportunity for him and we couldn't match the offer that he was getting from Manly, so the best decision was made, I feel.

"He's a great fella and a great clubman and I look forward to seeing him after the game as well."

While there will be no favours on the field, Lawrence is likely to be among the first Sea Eagles into the Titans rooms after the match.

"There was never any bad air or anything. I still have a lot of respect for the Titans and we left on good terms, it was just about taking opportunities when they come and this has been a good one for me," he said.

"They're a different side this year and they've got a lot of good players and I'm really looking forward to going out there and not just playing 20 minutes off the bench but having a really good crack."

http://www.goldcoast.com.au

DIEHARD
20-03-13, 02:19 PM
Some people just decide to go to the footy as a spur-of-the-moment decision. Not everyone plans for an arvo at the footy a week in advance. This is bad. VERY, VERY BAD!!!
:fight: :argue: :boo:

Mate. TOTALLY. And these people should be the target of our social media.

Put the idea there, make it easy for them to get the info. And hope we can snag a few thousands who roll up.

Titanic Believer
20-03-13, 02:34 PM
$8 booking fee at the door?

Important not to price lower income casual attendees out of the market. Footy used to be an affordable day out for families. I appreciate that much has been done to encourage family memberships. But there are many people that can't commit to coming to many games but would balk at this impost.

I saw this last night and it pushed me to get a steel membership. I work out of the Goldie and don't expect to take advantage of it. I just wanted to give something back to the club after years of enjoyment (and angst).

DIEHARD
20-03-13, 02:41 PM
I saw this last night and it pushed me to get a steel membership. I work out of the Goldie and don't expect to take advantage of it. I just wanted to give something back to the club after years of enjoyment (and angst).

Well done. Remember your membership is transferable so you can lend it to people to make use and even recoup some of your outlay. Helps with our crowds too if as many Membership passes are as active as possible.

Toads
20-03-13, 02:49 PM
Might be time for Titans to take control of all ticket sales and find a way to get out of Skilled Park 'n find another ground. There's just no way the 'Average Joe' can keep up with this inflation on everything.

NRL might have to step up to the plate 'n do whatever is required. I've been mentioning for some time that Southport Tigers Ground would be a good option. Considering how many Titans Fans live in the Northern Corridor of the Coast. Transport might pose a bit of a problem. But that can be managed with Shuttle Buses, like the Suns have, and once the Light Rail system comes online (Queen St), that would alleviate a bit more foot traffic.

EDIT: I'm sure Businesses in and around Southport would appreciate the influx of people pre 'n post game. Especially after taking a hit in recent times due the downturn in trade (GFC) and work going on with the Light Rail system. A win win situation all round..

Enough of this Bull****..

TITAN PETE
20-03-13, 03:13 PM
I hate to say it but the charge is from the club they want tickets pre-sold, i'm told it's a charge that has to be handed on to people buying tickets at the gate.

Probably a good reason to become a member but but ahh ....i've got nothing :?)

C-Whiz
20-03-13, 09:10 PM
Does anyone know when George Rose will be back on the field?

**edit** Is he just not making the bench? He isn't injured, is he? He played good in All Stars, right? Is it just because Manly are going good without him?

Mexican titan
20-03-13, 09:23 PM
Does anyone know when George Rose will be back on the field?

**edit** Is he just not making the bench? He isn't injured, is he? He played good in All Stars, right? Is it just because Manly are going good without him?

George is fit and well........oh he is well anyway and playing NSW Cup. As George said last week the only worry about him and banned substances is if there is something in KFC. Unfortunately he enjoys that a bit too much and I think Manly want a bit more game time from him rather than him just crowd the bench. He did not play many games for Manly last year either. I am also a member of Manly and he is often prominent on their membership mailouts, twitter etc and he is great around the club but also too great around the guts.

C-Whiz
21-03-13, 07:48 AM
George is fit and well........oh he is well anyway and playing NSW Cup. As George said last week the only worry about him and banned substances is if there is something in KFC. Unfortunately he enjoys that a bit too much and I think Manly want a bit more game time from him rather than him just crowd the bench. He did not play many games for Manly last year either. I am also a member of Manly and he is often prominent on their membership mailouts, twitter etc and he is great around the club but also too great around the guts.Thanks mate, that all makes sense. :laugh: Good post.

DIEHARD
21-03-13, 12:09 PM
I saw alot of George on the old Barefoot RL Show. Seems like a good guy. They really need to bring that show back. Cant believe the AFL show is still going....

DIEHARD
21-03-13, 06:37 PM
Titans v Sea Eagles
Skilled Park Saturday 4.30pm (Qld)

An intriguing early evening match-up at Skilled Park sees undefeated Manly travelling north to face a Gold Coast outfit quickly growing in confidence following strong performances against Cronulla and Canberra.

Having very nearly spoiled the party against a fired-up Sharks outfit in Round 1, falling by a single missed conversion, the Titans hit top gear last Sunday as they whitewashed the Raiders 36-0.

There is a lot to like about the Gold Coast if the football they have dished up so far is a taste of what we can expect all season. Their big men are full of running, they are eager in defence and new halves pairing Aidan Sezer and Albert Kelly look to have provided some much-needed spark.

And of course while much of the focus this season has been on the forward packs fielded by Canterbury, South Sydney and this week?s opponents, it?s hard to go past the Titans forwards as the most rounded in the competition ? having Luke Bailey, Ryan James and of course Dave Taylor coming off the bench is a truly scary proposition!

While the Sea Eagles have enjoyed solid wins over Brisbane and Newcastle to start their campaign, most pleasing for them would be the fact that they have done so with a number of telling injury problems up front, including the absence of NSW back-rower Glenn Stewart and co-captain Jason King as well as impact prop George Rose.

They will no doubt be sweating on their return, although former Titan Brenton Lawrence has been one of the buys of the year so far while fellow arrival Justin Horo has impressed on the left edge. Their efforts have certainly limited the impact of the side?s injury woes.

The early signs suggest that we can expect more of the same from Manly in 2013 ? a powerful, well-drilled outfit that will challenge for the top four ? so the question this week becomes whether the Gold Coast has improved enough to join them amongst the NRL?s elite.

The Titans have named an identical side to the one that thrashed Canberra last week, with Luke O?Dwyer added as the extra cog on a five-man bench.

Manly coach Geoff Toovey has also refrained from making changes following their big win over Newcastle.

Watch Out Titans: The Titans boast a couple of big boppers on their right side in Jamal Idris and Dave Taylor but they can expect a working over in defence this week given the Eagles? propensity to head left in attack. With five-eighth Kieran Foran enjoying his first full pre-season in years, his increased workload with the ball in hand is showing with Steve Matai and Jorge Taufua reaping the benefits so far in 2013.

Matai was superb against Brisbane in Round 1, finding acres of space and crossing for a double while Taufua scored a hat-trick against the Knights last week. In all, Manly have scored five of their 10 tries by spreading the ball to the left this season.

Watch Out Sea Eagles: The Greg Bird factor could have a huge say in the outcome of this game given his superb early season form. The NSW back-rower has led by example in 2013, averaging 144 metres and 23 tackles per game. His ability to offload and break the tackle makes him a real handful through the middle where he has been particularly effective this year.

Plays To Watch: The Sea Eagles have developed an extremely effective set play out to the left this season that can already count both Brisbane and Newcastle as its victims. The play is poised to be unleashed whenever they are in an attacking position and win a quick play-the-ball to the right-hand edge of the posts.

The ball comes left to one of Manly?s halves ? both Foran and Cherry-Evans can slot in here ? who will have four men running at pace on their outside. Two of these will be forwards running inside lines back towards the posts. Foran or Cherry-Evans will dummy to one or both of these before sending the ball out the back to one of the two speedsters (usually Brett Stewart) loitering behind the play. From here, if the play has worked as designed, it is simply a matter of quick hands out to either Steve Matai or Jorge Taufua to score. Watch for the Sea Eagles to utilise this play for a third week in a row against the Titans.

Key Match-Up: Jamal Idris v Steve Matai. This shapes as a particularly physical battle given Idris? size and power and Matai?s propensity to hurt opponents in defence.

Matai left the field with a neck injury last week but is rated a better than 50-50 chance of lining up against Idris and the Titans. And given that both have been in fine form in the opening rounds it is certainly a battle worth the price of admission. Idris has averaged 131 metres this year as well as contributing six tackle-breaks.

Where It Will Be Won: This really is a battle of the big men. The Gold Coast forwards more than held their own against Cronulla two weeks ago and dominated Canberra last Sunday so they will be confident of matching it with the Sea Eagles. And while Manly?s forwards have long been a well-drilled unit ? hunting as a pack, as they say ? it will be interesting to see how they handle the Titans? big men given the absence of so many of their most experienced players. Expect Brenton Lawrence to be fired up for a big showing against his former club.

The History: Played 10; Sea Eagles 6, Titans 4. The Sea Eagles have won five of the past nine clashes, including a 24-16 win at Skilled Park in Round 26 last season. They hold a 3-2 advantage in games at Skilled Park ? although the Titans secured their biggest ever win over Manly at the venue with a 28-14 thumping in Round 14, 2010.

Match Officials: Referees ? Matt Cecchin & Luke Phillips; Sideline Officials ? Michael Wise & Clayton Sharpe; Video Referees ? Steve Chiddy & Tony Maksoud.

Televised: Fox Sports 1 ? Live 5.30pm AEDT.

The Way We See It: From what we?ve seen this season, the Gold Coast are a far superior side to the one that has languished towards the bottom of the NRL ladder the past two years. And they boast a forward pack that is more than capable of dominating all-comers on their day.

The big question remains their lack of experience in the halves. Aidan Sezer and Albert Kelly are rated highly but their opponents this week won a title together in 2011 and have both represented their respective countries.

This is a danger game for Manly but they have been a good side for a long time now and with two from two to start the year it?s hard to go past them here. Sea Eagles by six points.

*Statistics: NRL Stats

Source: http://www.nrl.com

teke
22-03-13, 02:42 AM
These Manly fans (not me) on their forum are delusional thinking their forwards stack up against ours.

In Lawrence they trust :laugh: :laugh:

Man for Man they out have us covered...errrm no

C-Whiz
22-03-13, 08:11 AM
These Manly fans (not me) on their forum are delusional thinking their forwards stack up against ours.

In Lawrence they trust :laugh: :laugh:

Man for Man they out have us covered...errrm noI agree our forward pack has size over their experience, but what I like is the "man for man" match-ups like Bird Vs Watmough, the battle in the centres, Srama and Ballin, and the wingers. I'll give them the FB spot. But it will come down to Alby's attack, and the halves abilty to provide clean ball IMO. And possession.

Hail Sezer
22-03-13, 12:26 PM
U20's being televised, awesome.

DIEHARD
22-03-13, 12:48 PM
I got faith in our forwards to steamroll them. Should be a great, tough game, much like Round 1 vs the Sharks. A heavy weight bout.

timor 2
22-03-13, 01:17 PM
I got faith in our forwards to steamroll them. Should be a great, tough game, much like Round 1 vs the Sharks. A heavy weight bout.

Yeah should be a tough game, but i hope we can get the win, mate were are you sitting again tomorrow night.....lol... enjoy the night... i expect to see your flag flying out of the window....

Cheers Sean

gotitans101_
22-03-13, 06:11 PM
I can't believe how much sh*t they're giving us in a few threads over on the Manly forums. God I hope we can shut them up come game day. :fight:

DIEHARD
22-03-13, 06:29 PM
I can't believe how much sh*t they're giving us in a few threads over on the Manly forums. God I hope we can shut them up come game day. :fight:

Are they still cut about the Lyon stuff?

Yea well Manly are the ultimate poacher through out Rugby League history. :)

amaline
22-03-13, 09:20 PM
This may be the only game I can see live this year. Looking forward to it.

DIEHARD
22-03-13, 10:54 PM
This may be the only game I can see live this year. Looking forward to it.

Hope we get the win for you mate, sad you cant get to any more but glad you will be there for a game.

thelwall
22-03-13, 11:57 PM
as a fair few of you know i play soccer haha so this means i miss a fair few of the titans matches sadly im playing at the same time :( i really wanted to watch this game p.s ive never sat in the legion - is it possible to sit in it for like a single match ?

hammer
23-03-13, 06:49 AM
In the event of a Titans win today...are we going to hear the new Titans Victory Song?

TITAN PETE
23-03-13, 08:06 AM
Watmough in ominous NRL touch: Myles

RSS
Wayne Heming AAP Fri, Mar 22, 2013 - 5:13 PM

Gold Coast co-captain Nate Myles has played enough State of Origin games against Manly back-rower Anthony Watmough to know when he is at his rampaging best.

So when Queensland's Origin player of the 2012 series warns Watmough is in cracking form so early in the season, it's a clear message to his teammates ahead of Saturday's NRL clash at Skilled Park.

Both sides flexed their attacking and defensive muscles with big wins last weekend, the Titans keeping a very ordinary Canberra scoreless for 80 minutes while Manly kept their tryline intact against Newcastle.

"Chocky (Anthony) Watmough is in some of the best form he's ever played," said Myles, one of the Titans who will be responsible for stopping the tearaway back-rower who scored a spectacular 60-metre try against Newcastle last week.

Manly might not have the heavy hitters, with Jason King and No.1 back-rower Glenn Stewart still on the injured list, and George Rose in reserve grade.

But Myles knows from locking horns with Watmough in Origin battles just how he can split a game open.

So does Titans co-captain Greg Bird, another enforcer who will share the defensive responsibilities with Myles.

Bird conceded his side's record 36-0 win over Canberra last weekend was aided by some poor Raiders' form.

"I don't know if they (Canberra) were rubbish but we can't get too excited about scoring 30 points because we know this week will be a lot different," he said.

"Manly are always tough. They'll be a little different without big (Jason) King in the middle."

Bird said former Titans forward Brenton Lawrence, named in Manly's front-row, would fire up against his old club.

"Everyone up here knows how good he can play when he wants to play so I'm sure he'll be out for a big game," said Bird.

"He's a good player and he's probably been one of their best players, stats wise, in their two wins so far."

Meanwhile, rejuvenated young halfback Albert Kelly's battle with Manly No.7 Daly Cherry-Evans will play a big part in the outcome.

Kelly, who looked very sharp against a disappointing Raiders outfit, well get a better indication of his improvement up against Cherry-Evans, one of the classiest halves in the NRL.

Mexican titan
23-03-13, 09:17 AM
It's wrong that two Bycroft Cup games are being played today in direct opposition to the Titans game. One advantage of the NRL setting fixed times for the first 20 rounds should have been to allow local leagues to schedule their games at other times.

Julius Sezer
23-03-13, 09:50 AM
I'm really looking forward to this match. This match to me determines if we can match the top teams (i.e. Storms, Bulldogs, Rabbitohs) on a consistent basis and get results. We need momentum early in the season and get wins now because our campaign will get much harder towards the end of the season.

TITAN PETE
23-03-13, 10:02 AM
Last played: Titans v Sea Eagles

RSS
NRL.com Sat, Mar 23, 2013 - 9:30 AM

Manly overcame a slow start and a sluggish finish to secure a 24-16 win at Skilled Park and secure their spot in the top four in their final regular season game of 2012.

Trailing 4-0 having barely had the ball in the opening 15 minutes, the class of the Sea Eagles shone through as they raced to a commanding 18-4 halftime lead through a series of brilliant tries.

The first came from a Daly Cherry-Evans banana kick which bounced awkwardly in-goal and was pounced upon by Brett Stewart. Stewart was involved again when his flick pass found a flying Matt Ballin to score on the left edge, then a stunning try-saving tackle from Kieran Foran was followed by a try from the classy five-eighth as he swooped upon a Jamie Lyon in-field kick.

It looked like the Gold Coast was in for a long night when the Sea Eagles scored again through Jorge Taufua immediately after the break, but Manly relaxed and the Titans added some respectability to the scoreboard with Beau Falloon darting over from dummy-half and Kevin Gordon scoring in the corner to finish their season on some sort of high.

The Gold Coast surprisingly dominated possession with 55 per cent of the ball and ran for 1449 metres to Manly?s 1165 but failed to turn it into points.

The Sea Eagles? left side combination of Steve Matai and Jorge Taufua impressed, with Matai making 137 metres, seven tackle-breaks and a line-break and Taufua 140 metres, a try and a line-break.

Luke Douglas was superb for the home side with 187 metres and 23 tackles.

Smakked
23-03-13, 10:25 AM
we will need to shut down DCE and Foran , somehow. They are playing really well. Hopefully out forwards can get a roll on.

Titanic
23-03-13, 12:37 PM
Bailin is the key ... always under the radar but cut him off and they have nothing.

DIEHARD
23-03-13, 01:27 PM
Heading down the Coast by train from Bray Park. It's gonna take 2h 20m. But it'll be worth it!

Coaster
23-03-13, 02:35 PM
Heading down the Coast by train from Bray Park. It's gonna take 2h 20m. But it'll be worth it!

I'm at Helensvale come pick me up

C-Whiz
23-03-13, 03:35 PM
I'm at Helensvale come pick me upU gonna come up the the NW members stand? Gonna head dow to the U/20's now, should be there around 3:30pm.

Another thing, this game will be about momentum. Srama has to play the full 80 IMO, because the Falloon change causes a lack of rythym IMO. Once the game evolves, changing key players in the middle of it could cause dramtic changes to the teams flow, as we saw in Sharks game and trials. This will be a pedal to the metal game, no downtime, no loss of focus. We need to stay sharp.

Anyway, does anyone know if it will be quarters, like last week????

See ya's all there! :thumbsup:

gotitans101_
23-03-13, 03:41 PM
Our U/20's side are embarrassing. 3/12 completed sets 27 minutes into the first half.

edit: Make that 3/14 lol.

Hail Sezer
23-03-13, 03:53 PM
4/20 completions

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/computer-close-hulk.gif

10-0 to manly.

mdrew
23-03-13, 03:58 PM
Most embarrassing half of football I have ever seen.

Titanic Believer
23-03-13, 04:03 PM
Most embarrassing half of football I have ever seen.

raiders came close to being as bad last week. Nevertheless the u20s are lucky to only be 10 points down. First time I've seen Hymel Hunt he has some skills and Russell looks solid.

Hail Sezer
23-03-13, 04:10 PM
Good start to this half. Hymel looks good when he gets involved.

Try to Titans through Francis Veukiso

10-6 to Manly

Hail Sezer
23-03-13, 04:15 PM
Russell double pumps and gives Hymel hunt a good ball to score.

10 all kick to come

Hail Sezer
23-03-13, 04:16 PM
Kick goes across face of posts. 10 all 52 mins in

Hail Sezer
23-03-13, 04:19 PM
Manly score from a kick

14-10 manly kick to come

Hail Sezer
23-03-13, 04:22 PM
Manly score.

Russell has been shifted to the wing..with Jahrome Hughes going to fullback

teke
23-03-13, 04:25 PM
Deadset this crowd size is going to be miserable again :(

Foxsports ko skilled park

Hail Sezer
23-03-13, 04:30 PM
Russell injured and leaving the field.

Manly scored again.

26-10 to Manly

Hail Sezer
23-03-13, 04:46 PM
Hymel looking very impressive.

26-18 to Manly

Hail Sezer
23-03-13, 06:12 PM
**** Alby please be ok

teke
23-03-13, 06:18 PM
What a dog shot.

High quality game here ppl

gotitans101_
23-03-13, 06:25 PM
Titans fans really making their presence known out there today, really nice to hear. Much better than the last time Manly played us here at Skilled!

Ryan
23-03-13, 06:26 PM
Holy mother ****ing defense!
Only 5 missed tackles and 2 handling errors :surprise:

We are beating a very high quality side in every department. Just got put a few points up :thumbsup:

Titanic
23-03-13, 06:29 PM
Fa'aso needs to get squared up in the second half ... otherwise we look pretty good. Hope Harrison is ok.

hatchy84
23-03-13, 06:29 PM
Playing good defence awesome we are top 4 quality this year now to score some points meady needs to get more involved

gotitans101_
23-03-13, 06:30 PM
Who replaces Harrison for the next 40?

Hail Sezer
23-03-13, 06:43 PM
JAAAMEESSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Titanic
23-03-13, 06:44 PM
james in ... you bewdy!

Hail Sezer
23-03-13, 06:49 PM
MEADY!!!!!!!!!

Titanic
23-03-13, 06:57 PM
we clocked off there ... c'mon boys

Titanic
23-03-13, 06:59 PM
out on the full ... sheeeze

Hail Sezer
23-03-13, 06:59 PM
Ffs. Getting too comfortable

Hail Sezer
23-03-13, 07:01 PM
Thanks Zillman for kicking it dead on the full. Ffs.

Titanic
23-03-13, 07:02 PM
and paid the price ... really crap

Hail Sezer
23-03-13, 07:12 PM
****ing **** ****

Titanic
23-03-13, 07:14 PM
Idris/Mead really can't contain them

Hail Sezer
23-03-13, 07:22 PM
So tense wow

Hail Sezer
23-03-13, 07:26 PM
YOU BEAUTIES!!!!!

Titanic
23-03-13, 07:27 PM
going to hospital now ... have to have the remote control surgically removed

Steve
23-03-13, 07:28 PM
No foxtel, and no radio feed through the NRL site, I just had to watch the score updates. Looks like it was a cracker game!

Julius Sezer
23-03-13, 07:29 PM
YEAAAAAAHH. Celebrating tonight!

gotitans101_
23-03-13, 07:29 PM
So proud of the boys after that effort, unbelievable.

WOOOOOOHOOOO!

gothabull
23-03-13, 07:30 PM
What game well done titans ! :fight:

Hail Sezer
23-03-13, 07:30 PM
YEAAAAAAHH. Celebrating tonight!

Otp as well my boy?

Great *** game

teke
23-03-13, 07:31 PM
going to hospital now ... have to have the remote control surgically removed:laugh: wtf :laugh:

hatchy84
23-03-13, 07:31 PM
Yeah baby excellent team this year we needed to grind out a win like that

jenwood
23-03-13, 07:33 PM
You bloody beauty! ����

Julius Sezer
23-03-13, 07:36 PM
a high quality match. Titans have turned the tables!

Julius Sezer
23-03-13, 07:39 PM
Our attack looks better than last year.

teke
23-03-13, 07:42 PM
Attack looks same but defence is solid as

Hail Sezer
23-03-13, 07:43 PM

Our halfback looks better than last year ;)

Julius Sezer
23-03-13, 07:44 PM

We are running plays better then we did last year. The team seem to want to create a scoring play unlike last year where it seemed like everyone looked to Prince to score.

Rage
23-03-13, 07:46 PM
What a game! Looking like a real quality side. Hopefully this starts getting the boys some respect.

gotitans101_
23-03-13, 07:48 PM

Yeah this. Though to be fair we did drop off a few tackles which let Manly back into the game.

teke
23-03-13, 07:51 PM
We are running plays better then we did last year. The team seem to want to create a scoring play unlike last year where it seemed like everyone looked to Prince to score.i know there are some diff plays but in the tense moments it was same ole same ole which was needed IMO. The attack will come in time

Julius Sezer
23-03-13, 08:01 PM
i know there are some diff plays but in the tense moments it was same ole same ole which was needed IMO. The attack will come in time

i guess Carty is taking the 'defence will win matches' type mentality. Heck he always had that mentality from the beginning.

teke
23-03-13, 08:05 PM
i guess Carty is taking the 'defence will win matches' type mentality. Heck he always had that mentality from the beginning.most coaches take that approach.

They are working on their attack, this game was always gonna be tight

Julius Sezer
23-03-13, 08:08 PM
most coaches take that approach.

yeah like the Tigers, Raiders and Eels LOL.

teke
23-03-13, 08:11 PM
yeah like the Tigers, Raiders and Eels LOL.:D

I'm giving it to all the fans, gotta get in the cheap shots while we can

DavidBouveng
23-03-13, 08:21 PM
just got back from game.

really awesome to see us weather a fierce late storm. it was spookily similar the the tigers game last year. 14-0 , young halves and a rampaging opposition trying to steal it from us. this year we showed some mettle and got the job done.

impressed right across the park. even though mattai went on a spree late in the game, Idris was still pretty amazing from what i could see. his hitting, his workrate is on another planet to last year.

our forwards dont need much more praise, they are tough and defend like demons...but Ryan James - each week he takes a step closer and closer to super stardom.

outside backs were quite for the most, and after 2 weeks of Alby seeming to dominate the halves for us, Sezer looked like he took more control tonight, which is good if they can share it out, no one can do it for 26 rounds alone.

Fa'aso... you a dog mate.

all of this is from relatively cheap seats, i will watch the game replay soon and see how similar it is to what i thought i saw :)

Julius Sezer
23-03-13, 08:22 PM
a confidence boosting performance for the team. There was a lot of talk about Manly before the game and now Titans can feel smongst them. I have to give credit to Jamal. He looks fit and angry and ready to take on the line. Really did look threatening.

DavidBouveng
23-03-13, 08:24 PM
a confidence boosting performance for the team. There was a lot of talk about Manly before the game and now Titans can feel smongst them. I have to give credit to Jamal. He looks fit and angry and ready to take on the line. Really did look threatening at times.

yeah i agree. ill have to watch it again to see how MAttai went beserk on that side at the end. think he was cutting back in and targeting kelly and dave taylor who was starting to tire.

teke
23-03-13, 08:30 PM
yeah i agree. ill have to watch it again to see how MAttai went beserk on that side at the end. think he was cutting back in and targeting kelly and dave taylor who was starting to tire.
Still the right side defence was solid as. Another team would have been torn apart.

DavidBouveng
23-03-13, 08:33 PM
Still the right side defence was solid as. Another team would have been torn apart.

thats what i mean, the amount of times i applauded idris kelly and taylor for decisions and hits on that side was crazy. really good. but somehow they made a few breaks there late. think inside players let sweepers come around and didnt push out quick enough

gotitans101_
23-03-13, 08:44 PM
I'm surprised Cattai didn't injure his shoulder again this game.

Titanic
23-03-13, 08:47 PM
It was Bailey who was missing tackles after the Zillman kicked dead.

Before anybody says it, I want to be first to say that Zillman played like an NRL fullback today so I must ask: has he turned the corner or do we wait until Round 7 to see that again from him?

teke
23-03-13, 08:53 PM
It was Bailey who was missing tackles after the Zillman kicked dead.

Before anybody says it, I want to be first to say that Zillman played like an NRL fullback today so I must ask: has he turned the corner or do we wait until Round 7 to see that again from him?Zilly is 2 or 3 yars too slow on every attacking play. That being said he played solid tonight

hammer
23-03-13, 08:57 PM
In my opinion it is the first time in Titans history that we are becoming intimidating in defence...some very BIG hits out there!

C-Whiz
23-03-13, 08:58 PM

Our halfback looks better than last year ;)

We are running plays better then we did last year. The team seem to want to create a scoring play unlike last year where it seemed like everyone looked to Prince to score.All of this.
The difference is we have options this year.

We gave Manly so little time that their kicking game was atrocious for most of the first half and the service from their halves was ordinary. Our defence was outstanding, although a little fractured towards the end, but I couldn't work out who was covering left centre for the last 20 minutes. Seems Zilly, Douglas and James all had a stint at some stage. Manly did find some opportunities on the right too.

I will say Falloon was great, was fast, gave crisp ball and converted me to the switcheroo hooker idea. :D Srama came back fresh, although he did seem to be a bit out of phase with the game for a few minutes.

Manly scored on some poor refereeing and a bad kicking mistake, but they returned the favour late in the game, to let us seal it, so a bit of the rub both ways there.

This game shows us where we really are. Hopefully now all the fans can rally behind the team and accept that we really are a top 4 contender. No more excuses, and also no more complaining. We can score, we can defend, we can close out a game, we can win games again. :thumbsup:

Of course, it's only round 3, and it will be same again next week, but this was a great win.

hammer
23-03-13, 09:00 PM
I didn't hear the Victory song...was it played?

Toads
23-03-13, 09:04 PM
Incredible game, only caught the 2nd half 'n that was enough to leave me gobsmacked, up until now.

**** it.. still lost for words.. Apart from whatever we're paying Alby, it's not enough. And Congrats to all the Fan that made it to the game. The atmosphere must've been something else to witness such a intense home game. The Fortress appears to be being rebuilt from the ground up in 2013!

Titanic
23-03-13, 09:04 PM
Only top 8 contender at this stage ... Takairangi has won me now. He and Bird did a job on Lyin'.

C-Whiz
23-03-13, 09:05 PM
I didn't hear the Victory song...was it played?Nah, I was wondering about that myself..... I stayed until the players had done there lap, definitely no victory song tonight. A missed opportunity after a great win.

Julius Sezer
23-03-13, 09:06 PM
The combo of Sezer/Kelly will only grow to bigger and better things. Btw most of the time Sezer is playing halfback and Kelly is playing 5/8. They should swap numbers on their jerseys.

DavidBouveng
23-03-13, 09:07 PM
In my opinion it is the first time in Titans history that we are becoming intimidating in defence...some very BIG hits out there!

yeah all game were rocked them. was awesome to watch.

DavidBouveng
23-03-13, 09:09 PM
Zilly is 2 or 3 yars too slow on every attacking play. That being said he played solid tonight

yeah couple of times he was just off pace follwoing bird / srama / taka.

but he was solid, and of course very safe.

DavidBouveng
23-03-13, 09:11 PM
Only top 8 contender at this stage ... Takairangi has won me now. He and Bird did a job on Lyin'.

agree about top 8.
our defense is top 4, but until we can regularly score 3-4 tries a game, we will always have trouble against the top sides.

gotitans101_
23-03-13, 09:19 PM
Did anyone see how Kelly put his fists up after a Manly player gave him a shove (can't remember who?) Didn't like that tbh, seems very short tempered.

teke
23-03-13, 09:20 PM
Did anyone see how Kelly put his fists up after a Manly player gave him a shove (can't remember who?) Didn't like that tbh, seems very short tempered.v Matai, all good he deserved it

gotitans101_
23-03-13, 09:21 PM
lol fair enough then, didn't realise it was Catai. :laugh:

C-Whiz
23-03-13, 09:21 PM
agree about top 8.
our defense is top 4, but until we can regularly score 3-4 tries a game, we will always have trouble against the top sides.While a win does not make a season, just out of interest, where would you place Manly on the ladder? Because you know we just beat them on every level tonight, right?

So, I would say at the very least, at this point in time, we are ahead of them in the quality of football we are playing.

C-Whiz
23-03-13, 09:23 PM
v Matai, all good he deserved ithaha, yeah, that would have only had 1 outcome. :doh:

Tamwelg
23-03-13, 09:28 PM
I didn't hear the Victory song...was it played?

I can tell you from being in the sheds and being part of it the victory song was sung.

teke
23-03-13, 09:29 PM
I can tell you from being in the sheds and being part of it the victory song was sung.
....no sneaky iPhone footage of it ??

DavidBouveng
23-03-13, 09:32 PM
While a win does not make a season, just out of interest, where would you place Manly on the ladder? Because you know we just beat them on every level tonight, right?

So, I would say at the very least, at this point in time, we are ahead of them in the quality of football we are playing.

I sit manly in 6th or so. Right about where I place us.

Storm rabbits cows and doggies my top four, and sharks manly us the next group.

Also we beat them on alot of levels, but not try scoring. And probably not line breaks.

My point was unless we get 3-4, we will often be in dog fights win some / lose some.

Tamwelg
23-03-13, 09:33 PM
....no sneaky iPhone footage of it ??

Got a few photos mate. I think PETE may have caught the tale end with some iphone footage. Spoke to your mate Meady for a bit, he's a top bloke.

DavidBouveng
23-03-13, 09:36 PM
Got a few photos mate. I think PETE may have caught the tale end with some iphone footage. Spoke to your mate Meady for a bit, he's a top bloke.

U have no idea how good! I caught up with him during the week and he brought and gave me his 2012 nrl playing jersey.

I was saying I couldn't take it, but his missus said just take it, we have too many jerseys and it stinks! Lol.

C-Whiz
23-03-13, 09:38 PM
I sit manly in 6th or so. Right about where I place us.Exactly, which is about where I place us, which makes us a top 4 contender. :thumbsup:

Tamwelg
U have no idea how good! I caught up with him during the week and he brought and gave me his 2012 nrl playing jersey.

I was saying I couldn't take it, but his missus said just take it, we have too many jerseys and it stinks! Lol.

Haha that's awesome.

Julius Sezer

Your a lucky man. Seems like a top bloke :thumbsup:

C-Whiz
23-03-13, 09:40 PM
I can tell you from being in the sheds and being part of it the victory song was sung.Are you talking about the players usual victory song?

I'm pretty sure we are talking about the new victory song for the fans that the club said would be ready for this round. Was that what was being sung in the sheds?

Tamwelg
23-03-13, 09:40 PM
I had the best Rugby League experience of my life tonight. All I can say is wow. David May is such a fantastic human being and for those that were at the golf day, the prize was even better then first anticipated. I'll comment more on the game later, after I watch the replay on tv, my heart is still racing.

Tamwelg
23-03-13, 09:41 PM
Are you talking about the players usual victory song?

I'm pretty sure we are talking about the new victory song for the fans that the club said would be ready for this round. Was that what was being sung in the sheds?

Yeah sorry mate, the players victory song, I had to throw that in there after being part of the aid song.

C-Whiz
23-03-13, 09:41 PM

I was saying I couldn't take it, but his missus said just take it, we have too many jerseys and it stinks! Lol.I'll have to hit him up for those golf balls I gave him, and see how I go!!!. :D ;) :laugh: :thumbsup:

C-Whiz
23-03-13, 09:43 PM
Yeah sorry mate, the players victory song, I had to throw that in there after being part of the aid song.yeah, you just wanted to rub it in that you were in the sheds soaking up the atmosphere of one of the best wins for a few years.... no worries... :cry:

I just stayed up in my seat and clapped the boys off as they went around. I guess that's what i get for being in the cheap seats... :?)

DavidBouveng
23-03-13, 09:45 PM
I had the best Rugby League experience of my life tonight. All I can say is wow. David May is such a fantastic human being and for those that were at the golf day, the prize was even better then first anticipated. I'll comment more on the game later, after I watch the replay on tv, my heart is still racing.

Sounds like an awesome night mate.

Look forward to hearing about it.

Mr Stupid
23-03-13, 09:50 PM
Just got back in. The trip back to Byron goes much quicker when we're all on a high! We've all aged a bit but that was a great game to experience. I loved Ryan, Zilly, DaveT, Jamal, Nate and Brad T. Thoughts with Ash. Any news on him?

Tamwelg
23-03-13, 09:55 PM
yeah, you just wanted to rub it in that you were in the sheds soaking up the atmosphere of one of the best wins for a few years.... no worries... :cry:

I just stayed up in my seat and clapped the boys off as they went around. I guess that's what i get for being in the cheap seats... :?)

Exactly right :D

Sounds like an awesome night mate.

Look forward to hearing about it.

It was DB and when I've come down of the cloud, I'll give a better account of how good it was.

Mexican titan
23-03-13, 09:55 PM
Even though I am a member of both clubs I was kinda hoping the Titans would get up tonight as the result meant far more to them in terms of winning respect and hopefully getting crowds back to the game. This was the first time for about two years that the crowd seemed to get in to the game and get a bit loud. I thought manly played as well as they were allowed to and even though they scored three tries to two the better side won. Let's hope the Coast people finally start to realise they have a team worth watching at last.

Tamwelg
23-03-13, 09:57 PM
Just got back in. The trip back to Byron goes much quicker when we're all on a high! We've all aged a bit but that was a great game to experience. I loved Ryan, Zilly, DaveT, Jamal, Nate and Brad T. Thoughts with Ash. Any news on him?

Spoke to him in the sheds. He was walking around fine, a little sore after a mild concussion, but will be right for next week. Taka on the other hand is likely to miss a week with a hamstring strain, but with a week of intense physio, who knows.

DavidBouveng
23-03-13, 10:14 PM
Also want to say it was another great day at the footy, but for different reasons than last week,

A good flogging is fun from time to time, but a tough fought nail biter against a top side is so satisfying.

Crowd was really into it too.

I took a picture of the crowd... Gonna do it each home game and hopefully a slideshow of the year will show it swell and swell.

david may
23-03-13, 10:15 PM
Are you talking about the players usual victory song?

No mate. Was the victory song.

We are still working on the licensing for the club song. But I hope we can share it soon.

Tamwelg
23-03-13, 10:21 PM
Here's a couple of photos.

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b580/tamwelg/3F80B385-5088-4680-B4FE-F9C573CA07F4-7151-00000162673D6624_zps41c04ff1.jpg

http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b580/tamwelg/F67DAF98-2AE6-473B-B6EC-0D75D01B25D4-7151-00000162721A37BF_zpsf7fab5a9.jpg

Titanic Believer
23-03-13, 10:24 PM
I had a great time. First game as a member and first time in the cheap seats.
It's a bit different seeing things end on. I picked up my Titans merchandise and thought what the heck am I going to do with the flag? (being somewhat introverted and all) I thought I' d give it to the kid in front of me but he didn't want it. Thank goodness. I was waving it wildly in the second half.......went away very happy wrapped up the flag for the Broncos game...

Tamwelg
23-03-13, 10:39 PM
I had a great time. First game as a member and first time in the cheap seats.
It's a bit different seeing things end on. I picked up my Titans merchandise and thought what the heck am I going to do with the flag? (being somewhat introverted and all) I thought I' d give it to the kid in front of me but he didn't want it. Thank goodness. I was waving it wildly in the second half.......went away very happy wrapped up the flag for the Broncos game...

Good to hear mate and really glad you got involved in such a great victory.

karnage
23-03-13, 10:54 PM
I sit manly in 6th or so. Right about where I place us.

Storm rabbits cows and doggies my top four, and sharks manly us the next group.

Also we beat them on alot of levels, but not try scoring. And probably not line breaks.

My point was unless we get 3-4, we will often be in dog fights win some / lose some.

That was a great win. Really awesome. Very tough effort right across the park.

As for Manly, they were good tonight but they will be missing the 8 on the back of a couple of their higher profile players sitting out the second half of the season. :gossip: I'm surprised INSIDEWORD hasn't been on here to let you all know!!

Bring on the Panffers!!

TITAN PETE
23-03-13, 11:33 PM
Titans lose Harrison but beat Manly in NRL

RSS
By Wayne Heming AAP Sat, Mar 23, 2013 - 9:18 PM

Manly forward Richie Fa'aoso headed straight for the Gold Coast dressing room after his side's dramatic 16-14 NRL loss on Saturday night to check on the health of Titan Ashley Harrison.

Fa'aoso was placed on report for a 36th-minute collision which knocked out Harrison, who was celebrating his 250th NRL game.

"At least I got to play half a game," said Harrison, who was ferried from the field on a medicab as the game was held up for several minutes.

The clash of heads, which might have been the result of a shoulder charge by Fa'aoso, will be scrutinised by the NRL's match review committee.

"Richie came into the dressing room to see how I was and to apologise - it was nice of him," said Harrison.

"I've known him since we were kids. He's a Brisbane boy - we grew up playing for the same junior club."

Gold Coast five-eighth Aidan Sezer kicked the penalty after Harrison was taken to the rooms to give the home side a 2-0 halftime lead.

The Titans scooted out to a 14-0 buffer before Manly pulled back to 14-14, with winger Jorge Taufua's second try coming after a clever grubber kick from centre Steve Matai.

With four minutes left on the clock, Manly halfback Daly Cherry-Evans inexplicably kicked a goal line drop-out over the touchline on the full to gift Sezer the match-winning penalty from right in front.

"I thought we had the money," bemoaned Manly coach Geoff Toovey after the loss.

Toovey said Cherry-Evans was a shattered figure in the team's dressing room after his late howler.

The Sea Eagles coach wasn't too concerned about Fa'aoso becoming the first player to be suspended following changes which have made the shoulder charge illegal.

"I saw it on the replay .... I've got no problem with what I saw," said Toovey when asked about the tackle.

Titans coach John Cartwright preferred to leave judgment up to the administrators but suggested the NRL could consider an 18th man to replace a player taken out of the game in such a manner.

"It's tough to lose a player like that and be down to three interchanges in such gruelling conditions on such a hot night," he said.

"Losing an interchange player under those circumstances really hurts."

The Titans showed a lot of heart after also losing centre Brad Takairangi midway through the second half as Manly were mounting a serious comeback.

Skipper Greg Bird, who was exhausted after the game, said players were going everywhere to cover for injuries.

"We had back-rowers in the centres, halfbacks playing fullback and I was playing five-eighth. We were just holding on."

Manly captain Jamie Lyon did not attend the post-game interviews.

"He had a stomach bug and was feeling crook but he was always going to play," said Toovey.

Lyon missed two tough conversions and uncharacteristically spilled a few passes suggesting he might have been ill when he took the field.

karnage
23-03-13, 11:44 PM
Just on Jamie Lyon's performance tonight - did anybody else see him spew his guts up TWICE out on the field as they came out to play the second half. He was definitely not right tonight.

TITAN PETE
23-03-13, 11:54 PM
Just on Jamie Lyon's performance tonight - did anybody else see him spew his guts up TWICE out on the field as they came out to play the second half. He was definitely not right tonight.

Yes mate I saw him have a chuck , may have has something to do with his goal kicking :laugh:

Titanic
24-03-13, 12:27 AM
One could hope that our stewards put something in their water ... that's called home ground advantage.

Chaserz
24-03-13, 07:00 AM

Yeah I did see that on-screen. Wasn't his day, for sure. But I'm happy about it though.

Geez, the second half was an absolute nail-biting thriller. Manly quickly regained strength and focus, and cracked the defence very easily in response to the tries of James and Meady. Maybe it was a lack of concentration, or maybe a bit of overconfidence after the two tries? I dunno.

For a minute I had some flashbacks from several games in the past when we were at least two tries ahead, and where this advantage quickly dissolved into a loss at final time. As such, I kinda freaked out at the moment when the scoreboard reflected an all 14 score. Fortunately, Sezer saved the day towards the end, after a failed attempt of a field goal. Although in the 79th minute it was still a bit of a touch and go, as you could see Manly still hoped for a miracle try. Dang, talking about every second counts!

I'm happy luck was on our side today, I could see it sure was a tough game. Well done guys :thumbsup:

david may
24-03-13, 07:49 AM
Yes mate I saw him have a chuck , may have has something to do with his goal kicking :laugh:
Hahahahahaha.

You're a funny man Peter.

TITAN PETE
24-03-13, 07:53 AM
Had to watch a replay before i could comment about the match :drinkies:

Probably our best home win to date after leading by 14 & then Manly leveling the score many including myself could be forgiven for expecting us to throw the towel in against such quality opposition but not in 2013.

A lot of really tough Defence & isn't it great to have a no7 that can defend with the best of them, it's a 1st for our club :thumbsup:

Great games all round I thought, Zillman looked like fullback tonight, our bench was brilliant & would easily be the best in the comp bar none but for me the bloke who is playing well beyond his years is Sezar, this kid has it all & I'm sure will be inline for an Origin gig in the next couple of years, add Kelly to the show & we have a halves combo that will talked about all season ;)

The word that our club hasn't heard for a long time is Respect, it was well earned tonight & now maybe the so called "experts" will give us a little ;)

As Tamwelg said it was nice to hear the Team song in the sheds & I hope we can hear it all season.

Spoke to Harro he was fine & also gave Takarangi a pat on the shoulder & told him he has earnt his spot in this side although he will probably be out for a week at worst with a hamstring strain & if so may see Mead back to fullback pushing Zillman to centre & giving Don a shot at the grade.

Skilled Park = The Fortress :fight:

lonegull
24-03-13, 08:23 AM
Great game, the boys showed a lot of ticker and to back up for 80 minutes after last weeks game in the heat was remarkable, agree with what Pete says the word respect will be starting to get used when titans name is mentioned

Steve
24-03-13, 08:45 AM
Haha, jeez Brad, how did you get Bobbie out of bulldogs gear?

TITAN PETE
24-03-13, 10:06 AM
Haha, jeez Brad, how did you get Bobbie out of bulldogs gear?

A visit to the sheds are the game can sway many a man :thumbsup:

patskE
24-03-13, 10:59 AM
Spoke to Harro he was fine & also gave Takarangi a pat on the shoulder & told him he has earnt his spot in this side although he will probably be out for a week at worst with a hamstring strain & if so may see Mead back to fullback pushing Zillman to centre & giving Don a shot at the grade.

Skilled Park = The Fortress :fight:

you rkn they would move him after 2 great games from zillman at fullback back to back? more likey to see gordon moving there and don on the wing after seeing thats how they shaped up in trails.

Coaster
24-03-13, 10:59 AM
Cracking day of footy.

What a game, can not wait till next game.
Have not felt this good about footy since the opening of skilled park

Titanic
24-03-13, 12:01 PM
Enter Steve Michaels ... stage left :-(

Julius Sezer
24-03-13, 12:32 PM
I think we take Sezer for granted at times. He is unbelievably calm and composed for his age. He knows what he is doing and really is a complete halfback/five eighth. He is only 21 and players around his age will sh*t their pants at crucial times and will be clueless in terms of what to do when. He takes good last tackle options. Sezer for me can turn out to be a Lockyer. I dont mean in terms of caliber but in terms of calmness, the cool headed type and knowing what to do in crucial times. I dont know if people see it or not but i do. I can assure you Sezer knowing what to do in crucial times will put us ahead of other teams.

Big Dan
24-03-13, 01:36 PM
Totally agree on sezer composure level headed

Titanic
24-03-13, 02:03 PM
I think Kelly had every right to shape up to Matai after the cat had punched him in the chest ... also Kelly smacked someone (I though it was Foran) after he got hit late after a kick ... little blokes need to stamp their authority.

teke
24-03-13, 03:06 PM
:D

I like, I like.

Mead might have to put in his biggest game of his career thus far for the benefit of the Titans team.

Chaos
24-03-13, 05:33 PM
That game was totally dominated by a superior forward pack and as usual a strong kicking performance by our halves.

The outside backs tried hard and played well in defense but just don't get opportunities from our attacking structure.

Again I make the call to have Kelly at second receiver, especially when attacking the oppositions line.
As good as Sezer is (running, kicking and defense) is positional play to set up his outside men has a lot to be desired and his didn't capitalise on the two over laps he had in the first 20 minutes.
His not a natural ball player and the one short ball he did give at the line, set Bird up for the dump.
Sezer is a safe half and very effective on the fifth tackle. Use Kelly for our attacking play and let Sezer finish if no chocolates.

I wasn't there live to get the excitement of the win and I'll enjoy sit-stirring Manly fans during the week but to end up with only two try's after such a dominant forward display frustrates me.

Smakked
24-03-13, 06:20 PM
One of the best things was the crowd, loudest i have heard them since the finals in 2010

mup23
24-03-13, 06:31 PM
One of the best things was the crowd, loudest i have heard them since the finals in 2010

I just came on to say this. Great atmosphere on the Eastern side. The away bay was quiet and still for most of the game which was good to see. Disappointing what the Manly fans were yelling when Harro was being taken off

Mr Stupid
24-03-13, 07:34 PM
I think we take Sezer for granted at times. He is unbelievably calm and composed for his age. He knows what he is doing and really is a complete halfback/five eighth. He is only 21 and players around his age will sh*t their pants at crucial times and will be clueless in terms of what to do when. He takes good last tackle options. Sezer for me can turn out to be a Lockyer. I dont mean in terms of caliber but in terms of calmness, the cool headed type and knowing what to do in crucial times. I dont know if people see it or not but i do. I can assure you Sezer knowing what to do in crucial times will put us ahead of other teams.

I'm going to watch replay with this in mind

Mr Stupid
24-03-13, 07:38 PM
I think Kelly had every right to shape up to Matai after the cat had punched him in the chest ... also Kelly smacked someone (I though it was Foran) after he got hit late after a kick ... little blokes need to stamp their authority.

Agreed. Albert was provoked and stood his ground manfully. But really it was a storm in a teacup.

Leeroy
25-03-13, 04:27 PM
Must say another exceptional team effort. Sezer and Kelly were outstanding in there control of the game. Great atmosphere but still lacking numbers. If we keep this form up I'm sure they will start heading back to Skilled. Must admit heart rate went up when at 14 all when Taka went off and Ridgey then Zilly went to centre and Alby to fullback. Still haunts me with no utility on the bench.

Supergoose
25-03-13, 11:41 PM
The end of the game shuffle and the previous weeks effort conspired to have us all on the edge of our seats. One noticeable difference between the sides was how slick the Manly backline ran (eventhough we snuffed it out on most occasions) compared to ours. We really need some depth with our centres and fullback running on from deep and playing some second man stuff. We have some nice little plays developing but they are played very close to the line and have a high risk factor.

Forwards were excellent - especially the bench forwards with James and Bailey really leading the way and Taylor playing solid rather than brilliant. I think we are playing Myles 5-10 minutes too long and the quality of our bench mean we need to keep the rotations going.

Falloon was excellent and added spark when he came on and really put Manly on the back foot. I think Kelly should've shifted to left centre and stayed there with Srama in the halves when Takairangi went off.

Halves are coming on really well and Sezer's kicking game was exceptional. Would just like to see a little more fluency and speed in the backline with a bit of depth otherwise, we are looking like a top 8 team and if we can get the backline firing a top 4 spot beckons. Great to be a Titans fan this year. We didn't deserve to lose this game - but we nearly did

DIEHARD
27-03-13, 03:13 AM
One of the best games I've seen. Showed so much steel in trying circumstances. Historic stuff and was proud to be there to see it.

The crowd was awesome and the best atmsphere since Warriors Final 2010, as others have stated. Everyone got into it, lots of backwards and forwards between Manly and Titans fans. Just proves that atmosphere and the generation of it needs to be a priority task. It gets people off the couches and makes them thankful to be there. Well done to all, even the Manly fans.

I still havent watched the replay, but I got it tapped and ready to go when I get a chance. Epic.

shamus
27-03-13, 02:32 PM
I had a Manly mate fly up from Gosford for this game and prior to going to the match I told him that the Manly supporters are pretty vocal and would outdo Titans fans as they have done in previous years. Boy was I wrong! I have never heard them that quiet before. The Titan support didn't 'shut up' so the Manly support never got out of 1st gear. This was definately up there with the 2010 Warriors Final.

P.S. My mate thinks I have no idea! (I don't but keep it to yourselves)

Toads
27-03-13, 03:56 PM
:laugh: Nice yarn, shamus. Glad we got blokes of your calibre in our ranks. :)