PDA

View Full Version : Gold Coast after Johnstone and Fielden

DIEHARD
10-02-06, 01:06 AM
And Gold Coast has confirmed making an approach to North Queensland and Australia head trainer Billy Johnstone.

"We have expressed an interest in Billy - he would be a great person to have in this organisation," said Titans chief executive Michael Searle.

"But I certainly don't expect him to make a swift decision - it will probably be something he thinks about all season."

Searle said Gold Coast hoped to sign World Club Challenge star Stuart Fielden from Bradford for their second season, 2008.

"I have now held three meetings with Stuart," Searle said.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18094855-23214,00.html

I'd very much like to see both of them at the Titans. They are at the top of pile on both their fields. I especialy hope we get Billy Johnstone.

And on the Fielden front, three meetings is promising.

Ipswich Fan
10-02-06, 01:59 AM
The signing of Billy Johnstone would probably be just as important to the club as any player signing they'll make.

lonegull
10-02-06, 07:31 AM
yeah i have to agree a conditoner is as good as a good player and billy ranks right up there with the best and also a old gold coast boy himself i think he might have even captained the side??? but to get billy is like getting a big name signing so i hope he does come to the titans
and fielden wow what a player everything seems to be going in the right direction with him not a bad frontrow combo fielden and bailey

DeeGan
10-02-06, 08:21 AM
Agree with Ipswch fan, the Johnstone signing is just about the most important signing we would make to the club - he is THE best in the business at what he does.

Stuart Fielden is a "dream" signing, Bailey and Fielden would be the best prop tandem in the game, though IMO not a be all, end all signing with Bailey already here. Sure, great signing and icing on the cake, though I would not lose sleep over it if he was not signed.

DIEHARD
10-02-06, 09:28 AM
Gold Coast chase Johnstone

THE vultures began circling over highly regarded fitness guru Billy Johnstone yesterday while the North Queensland Cowboys took their first steps towards retaining coach Graham Murray.

After months of speculation, the Gold Coast Titans yesterday publicly declared their interest in recruiting Johnstone, who is both Queensland and Australian head trainer, for their inaugural season in 2007.

At the same time, the Cowboys and Murray agreed to enter into formal negotiations over an extended contract beyond 2006.

Cowboys football manager Peter Parr confirmed last night the Cowboys' five-man board and Murray had mutually agreed to commence talks, although money or a time frame had not yet been discussed.

"It was agreed we'd like Graham Murray to continue as head coach here but we now need to enter into some formal negotiations with Muzz," Parr said.

"It's now a matter of whether we can work out terms and conditions that are satisfactory for everyone."

Murray, who took the club to its first ever grand final appearance last year in his third full season as coach, said he was pleased the negotiation process had begun.

"I don't have any intentions of leaving and it's just good now the board have opened up negotiations," Murray said.

While Murray's long-term future at the club appears all but sealed, the Cowboys could have a struggle to retain Johnstone after Titans chief executive Michael Searle revealed he had spoken with the Cowboys' strength and conditioning coach about a potential move to the Gold Coast.

Johnstone's previous link with rugby league on the Gold Coast - plus the fact he has three sons living there - has formed the basis of speculation he would be a target for the Titans since the entity was granted entry into a 16-team National Rugby League competition for 2007.

"If he's interested in moving to the Gold Coast we'd be more than happy to discuss things," Parr said.

While it is understood the Titans have placed no pressure on Johnstone for a decision, he said he hoped to settle his future within the next month.

"I should have a definite answer before the comp starts," Johnstone said.
Searle said he had made Parr aware of the Titans' interest in Johnstone.
"We understand why Billy wants to talk to them. Searly and I have a good relationship," Parr said.

"If Billy decided to part (with) our club which I hope he doesn't, at least it wouldn't be a shock he's been talking to them.
"We'd obviously like to keep him, that goes without saying but that's a decision for Billy."

Johnstone, who turned down an offer from the All Blacks in order to join the Cowboys in 2002, is understood to have also attracted interest from rival codes and from overseas. The regime Johnstone has established since arriving in North Queensland has been credited as one of the significant factors behind the Cowboys' rise to prominence in recent years.

Tim Sheens has emerged as the shock first choice to coach Newcastle next year - a week before the Knights were set to announce Canberra coach Matthew Elliott as their head coach for 2007. Sheens has zoomed to the top of the list after indicating to a Knights official that he would be willing to talk if negotiations with the Wests Tigers break down.

http://townsvillebulletin.news.com.au

DeeGan
10-02-06, 09:32 AM
I cannot see Johnstone not coming to the Gold Coast to be perfectly blunt.

These "vultures" must be the same ones the Cowboys hung out with when securing Johnstone's services from Canterbury :ok:

Eel 33
10-02-06, 10:15 AM
Top acquisition if we get him. Make a play for him anyway.

Titanium_BD1103
10-02-06, 11:34 AM
Yep agree.. Billy is like a evil marshall when it comes to training.. but he is a great bloke and he gets the best out of players.. I know.. I met him many a time in the old visits to Belmore.. :D :D

As for Fielden.. that is awesome.. look forward to hearing more towards 2008 and I wish the GC all the best with that. To have someone of his calibre would be amazing.. :)

DeeGan
10-02-06, 11:50 AM
As for Fielden.. that is awesome.. look forward to hearing more towards 2008 and I wish the GC all the best with that. To have someone of his calibre would be amazing.. :)

We already do, his name is Luke Bailey ;)

mb63
10-02-06, 12:04 PM
Another Johnson the Titans should be chasing is Dallas Johnson from the Storm.This bloke is a real hardnut & is out of contract at seasons end.

Kingytek
10-02-06, 04:39 PM
Another few to add to the rumour listings?

Titanium_BD1103
11-02-06, 10:21 AM
We already do, his name is Luke Bailey ;)

I know he is a great player Deegan.. but imagine having 2 of them.. Bailey and Fielden.. that would be a great asset and a good coup.. :D

Research Station Drive
13-02-06, 01:42 PM
Billy Johnstone would be just as important a signing as any name player.

Do whatever it takes, just get him here!

RIP
14-02-06, 10:16 AM
Billy's great but u would b weaking another qld side but fielden is the best idea in this chase with bailey, Anthony, is the best looking forward pack around go get him boys :D :box: