17. Nathan Friend
18. Chris Walker
19. James Aubusson
20. Adam Blair
21. David Kidwell
22. Josh Tatupu

Dakink
08-02-06, 01:25 PM
A good looking team there and with injuries going the right way will be there at the end of the year

Super Cronk
08-02-06, 01:38 PM
Yeah pretty strong squad. The forward pack is alright...it is stronger with ben cross but he is still suspended. Some will say that the team is weak but thats because they havent seen most of these young guys play. There is alot of potential in that team and the players need to show what they are capable of.

DeeGan
08-02-06, 02:00 PM
Very strong squad that will go as far as the progression of Cooper Cronk at halfback for the team. The backline is mouth watering and plenty of points should be scored, I think Chris Walker will go ok for the Storm as well if given the chance. He will push Turner.

With any luck (and being selfish here) we will see more Nathan Friend in the top grade in 2006. I don't wish injury to Smith, though I would like to see him with as much grade experience as possible before 2007 - very unlikely though barring Origin time.

Anyone got the other trial teams to be named for the w/e?

Good luck to the Storm.

Dakink
08-02-06, 02:01 PM
Didnt notice but good to see Aubusson back here.

Super Cronk
08-02-06, 02:07 PM
Deegan, both cowboys and broncos teams are named in this thread:

http://www.titans.com.au//forum/showthread.php?t=2321

DeeGan
08-02-06, 02:09 PM
Deegan, both cowboys and broncos teams are named in this thread:

http://www.titans.com.au//forum/showthread.php?t=2321

Just noticed mate - your always on top of the NRL stuff champ, thanks ;)

I will just keep quiet and wait from now on :laugh:

Super Cronk
08-02-06, 02:11 PM
Just noticed mate - your always on top of the NRL stuff champ, thanks ;)

I will just keep quiet and wait from now on :laugh:

also i just posted the raiders team to take on the warriors.The warriors are naming their team tomorrow.

Ipswich Fan
08-02-06, 02:59 PM
A good looking Storm side with plenty of attacking options although their success will depend on how Cooper Cronk takes over from Orford.

Dakink
09-02-06, 12:03 PM
Game times released: Gates Open at 12 noon

Game 1: U\13 NRRL Possibles v Probables rep selection
Game 2: NRRL Premiers Tweed Seagulls v Group 2 Premiers Macksville
Game 3: QLD Cup Brisbane Easts v Tweed Seagulls
Game 4: NRL Melbourne v Parramatta 5.45 pm

Ill add the earlier game times when I find the paper again!! :embarasse

Ipswich Fan
09-02-06, 12:36 PM
It looks like a great evening of football down there.

Dakink
09-02-06, 12:39 PM
Hell yes - Ill be turning up during the First game with my giant esky (see BBQ in newsletter) and plonking myself next to the fence.

Dakink
09-02-06, 03:34 PM
Question of loyalty

LENNOX Head?s Chris King will be throwing away any club loyalties in favour of family when the Melbourne Storm play the Parramatta Eels in the National Rugby League trial game in Ballina on Saturday, February 11.

Chris, who works at Elders Real Estate, Lennox Head, is the brother of Matt King, who has been named in the Storm?s team to play at Kingsford Smith Park.

But Chris is an Eels man, who played 96 firstgrade games in the second row while he was with the club from 1988 to 1997.

"But I?ve got to follow the family," he said.

He agreed brotherly love will always take first place over club loyalties.

"We?re (his family) are all pretty excited ? my two favourite teams are playing," he said.

Two other Ballina families also will be excited, with former Ballina Seagulls players, James Aubusson and Ian Donnelly, also named in the Storm?s lineup.

This will be James Aubusson?s first senior hit-out with his new club after transferring from the Roosters? Jersey Flegg side at the end of last year. His brother, Mitch who was recently named Ballina Shire?s Sportsperson of the Year, has recently signed with the Roosters.

Other stars to play the trial game in Ballina with the Storm are Queensland Origin representatives Billy Slater and Cameron Smith.

The Eels squad to come to Ballina will include the likes of half-back Tim Smith, second-rowers Dean Widders and Daniel Wagon, fullback Wade McKinnon and winger Luke Burt.

But coach Brian Smith hasn?t included other stars like Nathan Cayless, Nathan Hindmarsh, Eric Grother Jnr, Mark Riddell or Glenn Morrison.

However, last year?s trial game in Lismore was Tim Smith?s first taste of the first-grade football, and he went on to be the NRL Rookie of the Year.

Ballina could be hosting a star of the future.

Tickets are still available from Westlawn Finance office in Tamar Street, or from the Ballina Seagulls Rugby League Club. Tickets cost $18 for adults and $8 for children.

The program kicks off at 1pm with a Group One Under-13s Possible v Probables, followed by Group Two 2005 first grade premiers Macksville v Northern Rivers Regional Rugby League premiers Tweed Seagulls, then Brisbane Easts v Tweed Seagulls, with the main game to be played at 5.45pm.

You can meet the Eels and the Storm players and get autographs at Ballina Fair on Saturday morning. The Storm players will be in Woolworths court from 9.30am to 10.30am, and the Eels will be there from 10.30am to 11.30am.

Some more info on the trial.

From http://www.ballinaadvocate.com.au/localnews/storydisplay.cfm?storyid=3671789&thesection=localnews&thesubsection=&thesecondsubsection=

The Original Idiot
09-02-06, 08:50 PM
What happened to Scott Hill?

Super Cronk
09-02-06, 09:07 PM
What happened to Scott Hill?

Mate that has all storm fans scratching their heads. He is sposedly really fit and looking good...but for some reason isnt playing.

Only thing i can think of is that...maybe bellamy isnt 100% sure of what the line for the 2006 season is going to be...and is just trying new things?

Dakink
11-02-06, 11:20 AM
Mick Croker, his girlfriend\wife and their little dog just came in my shop!

I still think he is an angry looking young man.

Super Cronk
11-02-06, 07:17 PM
Just read on another forum that the score is

28-12 to the Storm.

Not sure how long to go..but it cant be to long.

Super Cronk
11-02-06, 07:45 PM
storm won 38-18.

Match report from foxsports.com.au

Storm 38 Parramatta 18
COOPER Cronk scored two tries in Melbourne's win over Parramatta in a trial match in Ballina tonight, sending a clear message he wants to make the No.7 jersey his own.

Amid increasing speculation the Storm plans to recruit sacked Penrith skipper Craig Gower, Cronk was instrumental in guiding his team to a comprehensive seven tries to three win over the 2005 minor premier.

The 22-year-old Cronk was initially slated to replace Manly key signing Matt Orford but there is renewed talk the Panthers will release Gower from his $2 million five-year contract, freeing the Test half to join the Storm.

Gower is reportedly disillusioned about issues relating to his punishment from the Panthers following an alcohol-fuelled weekend on the Sunshine Coast in December.

He was fined $30,000 and stripped of the captaincy.

Both the Eels and Melbourne fielded close to full-strength teams in balmy conditions at Ballina's Kingsford Smith Park tonight.

Melbourne led 16-12 at half-time before Cronk's tries in the 45th and 54th minutes blew out his side's lead to 28-12 in a trial played over 20 minute quarters.

Former Queensland centre Chris Walker scored his first try for his new club in the 68th minute to hand the Storm a 34-12 lead.

Jarryd Hayne scored a consolation try for the Eels in the 72nd minute but Melbourne's Kiwi international Jake Webster completed the rout with a try at the death.

MELBOURNE 38 (C Cronk 2 B Slater S Turner M Geyer C Walker J Webster tries; G Inglis 3 C Smith 2 goals)
PARRAMATTA 18 (T Smith L O'Dwyer J Hayne tries; L Burt 2 B Delaney goals) at Kingsford Smith Oval, Ballina.
Referees: S Clark, G Badger.
Crowd: Approx. 5,000.

--------

Very happy to see Cronk showing everyone what he can do. I heard he played a real good game, We dont need gower with super cronk on our side :).

Altho its only a trial i was happy to see the team win without a few big guys up front and without hill.

Eel 33
13-02-06, 08:55 AM
That wasn't Parras stongest line up though, might be a little different in Griffith for the return match.

Super Cronk
13-02-06, 10:10 AM
I hope the eels team is full strength,.

Eel 33
13-02-06, 10:19 AM
I don't think it will be. I think you'll find that Brian Smith will drop a few more 1st graders in for the next game, and then probably full strength for the last trial.

Ipswich Fan
13-02-06, 01:54 PM
Smithy's philosophy in the trials tends to be to mix & match them & see what combinations work before naming his top squad in round 1.

Dakink
14-02-06, 10:47 AM
MAte it was a good win for the Storm and they definately do not need Gower!

Cronk lead the team well and showed he has what it takes to be a good 7. Inglis also did well without excelling in the centres - was playing against Smith and did well. The Storm up front coped well but it will be interesting tosee how they go against bigger, better packs. They were better organised in defence and with Slater and co more probing in attack. PArra looked a little cumbersome and reliant on Smith for attack, though again they look like a team likely to threaten again this year.

Some of the younger Storm players certainly looked like they can handle the step up - go look for the future.

Dakink
14-02-06, 10:52 AM
As for the QLD cup - both teams had half strength squads running around but if it was any indication of the strength of the cup then Aus league is in really good hands - apart from the expecterd mistakes from a trial both teams looked capable and talented. Like the Storm, the Tigers were again better organised in defence which allowed them to last better than Tweed. Great game to watch as well and not too far off the NRL game in standard. The main difference was the intensity and speed of play.